Platinum difficulty?

Maahniac

1 hour ago, Maahniac said:

The Trophy Guide says 5/10, which sounds reasonable enough. Have anyone else completed, or just played this game, and have a different opinion?

The game is pretty easy overall, there are some hard races but nothing that with some practice you can't achieve. The most troublesome trophy for me was :gold: Look Mom, No Hands!, thankfully you don't need to do this in one sitting but I had the unfortunate luck of placing below the top 3 (I think you need to ALWAYS place at least on the top 3 to advance) on the 78th race or something like that and the game resets you to the start of the endurance because you lost just one race. Be sure to always place on the podium and you are about to lose, close the game and start again :)

50 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

The game is pretty easy overall, there are some hard races but nothing that with some practice you can't achieve. The most troublesome trophy for me was :gold: Look Mom, No Hands!, thankfully you don't need to do this in one sitting but I had the unfortunate luck of placing below the top 3 (I think you need to ALWAYS place at least on the top 3 to advance) on the 78th race or something like that and the game resets you to the start of the endurance because you lost just one race. Be sure to always place on the podium and you are about to lose, close the game and start again :)

"This should take you 4 - 5 hours, but you can stop between races as the game will save your progress. This also allows you to save scum using a USB drive. "

18 minutes ago, Arin1979 said:

"This should take you 4 - 5 hours, but you can stop between races as the game will save your progress. This also allows you to save scum using a USB drive. "

I pretty much never save scum, which was my mistake back then, you can also upload your save file to the cloud and download it back in case this happens.

• Like 1

The Endurance races aren't the hard part. They just take a long time. The real difficulty is in getting gold on the Master Tournaments, which requires 3 out of 4 races to be 1st place. The problem is when approaching the car in front, it boosts away into the finish line, leaving you with 2nd place. 2 races like that in a tournament and you have to start over. Also at the race start, the cars in front will block the whole road, preventing you from passing them on either side.

• Like 2

Imagine being in the gym at the track, trying to race your friend. But every few feet there are a group of inconsiderate walkers who let your friend right through then spread out to avoid letting you pass. That’s every race in this game. 

• Like 3

I must be going crazy, but this game is kicking my ass. I'm consistently getting 2nd time and time again, losing races everytime by about 0.2-0.3 seconds - and I'm only on the second location in the campaign (Chile). I'm making all the turns pretty well, using my boosts on the straights, no big crashes and keeping the bumps from the other cars to a minimum - what gives? It feels like when I do get gold it's pure RNG rather than how well I did on that specific race.

Is it just me? It seems everyone is only hitting a wall once they get to the very lategame races. Should I just wait for a better car and go back (I always use the last one unlocked).

edit: Well, of course this would happen, after struggling on 2 races I get 6 consecutive golds without trying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there's still this weird annoying randomness to races tho

Edited by SkyMason

On 7/6/2019 at 5:11 AM, bpmotard said:

It’s top 5, not top 3. Even so, as long as the last endurance takes, it’s pretty crappy of them to include an insta-lose mechanic. 

As for the difficulty I had some real trouble with it. Before I found the exploits I had it at a 6 I think. The real problem is the AI cheats and adds a severe RNG factor to each race. This makes it less about skill and more about how much you're willing to bang your head against the wall until it breaks.

I guess to break it down I would say the player skill required is maybe a 4; not too many buttons and straight forward gameplay... But the annoyance is an 8 so I round it up to a 5.

If you look at the tips and strategies section of my trophy guide, there is an explanation of how the AI works with some tips on how to subvert their cheating. It's not a perfect solution, but short of reprograming the game to even the playing field, it's the best chance we've got.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I've only the last two endurance races to do but I'd maybe bump the difficulty score up a bit.  Yeah, most of the game is fairly easy, a 3/4, but there are a few races that are nightmarish, particularly the master tournament, so a 6/10, 7 at a push, might be more reasonable for the average gamer.   

The AI is terrible, it's not there to race you rather impede you at every opportunity, that for me is the biggest problem with difficulty, and the game in general which is disappointing, as is yet another trophy set trying it's best to destroy any fun you might have with a game...109 gold races on the bounce...really?  Sigh.   I know I can make use of the cloud/usb but this is just needless grind.

Definitely think some will find the Plat a bit harder than 5/10, I almost smashed a controller trying to get gold on the second last master tournament, Japan, and the fact that your chosen rival for each tournament never, NEVER, slips up beyond 2nd place just adds to the frustration. 

It's admittedly a fun little game, but which easily can become a frustrating chore, smarter AI and a better trophy set would have done wonders for it.

This is not a super easy platinum, but not quite difficult either. You just need patience. Only some races will be a challenge through World Tour, but the most difficult ones to handle are the Master Tournament races, as the rubber banding effect nearly doesn't exist. Just memorize where those nitros are scattered on each stage and try to collect them for the final lap.

Edited by Samurai
Typo.

Advanced issues found

7 hours ago, Auto-Tomato said:

Definitely think some will find the Plat a bit harder than 5/10, I almost smashed a controller trying to get gold on the second last master tournament, Japan, and the fact that your chosen rival for each tournament never, NEVER, slips up beyond 2nd place just adds to the frustration. 

It's admittedly a fun little game, but which easily can become a frustrating chore, smarter AI and a better trophy set would have done wonders for it.

I couldn't agree more. If there was an option for 5.5 I would do it. Or maybe a split difficulty for the grind/rng elements. I think the game does it's best when the AI just aren't a factor. Most of the tracks are very wide with few turns and easy to collect items specifically to make the main challenge getting around the AI. I personally think have at least a few tracks and modes meant to test your skills as a driver specifically would have done wonders.

This is also platinum that unfortunately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I would say that in the guide, but they are supposed to be impartial, so starting a guide with "You will hate this game by the platinum" would probably not go over so well X D. There is always a fine line between giving the platinum before the full game is experienced and forcing your players to slog their way through every minute detail of your game. Really makes you appreciate it when devs put thought and effort into their lists. Vampyr comes to mind as a fantastic list and the devs themselves made the guide for rouge Aces... Fun to leave this mostly negative comment with some positive praise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surtech5 said:

I couldn't agree more. If there was an option for 5.5 I would do it. Or maybe a split difficulty for the grind/rng elements. I think the game does it's best when the AI just aren't a factor. Most of the tracks are very wide with few turns and easy to collect items specifically to make the main challenge getting around the AI. I personally think have at least a few tracks and modes meant to test your skills as a driver specifically would have done wonders.

This is also platinum that unfortunately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I would say that in the guide, but they are supposed to be impartial, so starting a guide with "You will hate this game by the platinum" would probably not go over so well X D. There is always a fine line between giving the platinum before the full game is experienced and forcing your players to slog their way through every minute detail of your game. Really makes you appreciate it when devs put thought and effort into their lists. Vampyr comes to mind as a fantastic list and the devs themselves made the guide for rouge Aces... Fun to leave this mostly negative comment with some positive praise.

I got the Plat now, the endurance races were a bit of a slog but to be fair I sailed through them with relative ease, so yeah, just a time sink.   Don't want to be overly critical of the game, I did enjoy it, but the AI was just too one-dimensional.  I don't mind jostling for position with a few cars but if the AI had some range, cars that like to boost manoeuvre , cars that are reckless and crash or cause crashes, ones that run out of gas and retire...  Maybe for what the game is it's asking too much but the constant blocking and ramming became frustrating quite quickly.

There were a few tracks that had some tight corners and series of tricky turns, and I thought they used the weather quite well to add a little difficulty, night, sandstorms, snow etc...but yeah, some proper skill based tracks would have been good.

I've been griping about trophy sets for years, too many are implemented, seemingly, with little to no care as to how they actually impact a game, many a good game I've had spoiled trying to obtain obtuse trophies or endure torturous grinds.   I have Vampyr in my backlog, good to know the trophy set is decent...if I ever get to it!

PODSTER56 - I didn't think I'd complete it either, but I did.  Save all your nitros (inluding the ones you pick up) for the last lap, that may help.  Having someone else to play local co-op with so one of you can win the race and the other one collects the coins also helps, I found.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 6:03 PM, kosigan said:

PODSTER56 - I didn't think I'd complete it either, but I did.  Save all your nitros (inluding the ones you pick up) for the last lap, that may help.  Having someone else to play local co-op with so one of you can win the race and the other one collects the coins also helps, I found.

I agree with this, save the nitros then 'zoom zoom' when trying to approach the winning racecars to try and overtake them on the last lap as it is the AI that determines how fast the front cars are depending on your own speed in the race - the faster or slower you are they will try and usually be few seconds in front otherwise.

Its a fine tune-up game for all you would- be Platinum Hunters! It'll get you ready for the Medium/Hard range Platinum out there and the type of goals that typically come with a Plat!

Not hard but time consuming, yet very addicting so you'll get it naturally if you really are having fun.