So yeah Ultra-Nightmare mode

puckelberry

3 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

I wonder how hard it would be to do Ultra Nightmare and Ironman together :) I assume die like hell on Ultra Nightmare?

Don't even consider it Ultra Nightmare is brutal you will die almost immediately without any of the upgrades, but if you manage it I shal proclaim you god of the wasteland

7 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

Ultra Nightmare only on NG+. I've already had almost all the upgrades, but the story is not so long, so maybe it's better to play the safe way.

It's definitely better to do Ultra on NG+ and avoid playing it in Iron Man mode. The fact that at the max 150hp you can die in 2 - 3 hits, and sometimes even 1 shot makes it insane to even try to do on Iron Man mode.  

I just got to the final mission in Ultra and several times I've been taken down before I could even see where from in previous missions.  You'd be loading back ups left and right with the experiences I've had on Ultra.  

Ultra is actually kind of fun though, just cheap with how quick you die.

1 hour ago, JOEYGGDXDREAPER7 said:

Quick question if anyone knows, does NG+ overwrite your old save/playthrough or does it create a new save while keeping the old save?

I ask this because I want to do NG+ for Ultra Nightmare, but want to keep my current save/playthrough for the DLC when it comes out.

You choose where you want to manually save it, so you can keep your current save file.  It will overwrite your auto saves though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xHydragon said:

Can I do Ultra Nightmare on NG+ by changing the difficulty right after that the NG+ loaded (because my first run was on easy difficulty)? Because I just did the first three missions of the story but I thought about that only now ?

That's the million Dollar question, because no-one knows for sure - which is why other people are playing it safe and changing the difficulty before importing their save into NG+.

2 hours ago, xHydragon said:

Can I do Ultra Nightmare on NG+ by changing the difficulty right after that the NG+ loaded (because my first run was on easy difficulty)? Because I just did the first three missions of the story but I thought about that only now 1f602.png

No you cannot.  Several people on Bethesda's Rage 2 forums did it that way and the trophies didn't pop for them.  You have to go into the save you plan on using for NG+ and switch the difficulty to ultra nightmare, then save it.  When you choose which save you want to use for NG+ it has to say ultra nightmare for the difficulty.

And also, make sure you never used the trophy disabling cheats on the save you plan on using for NG+, because it's very likely that the trophies will be disabled in NG+ as well.  This hasn't been 100% confirmed, but one person over there did UN in NG+ twice now and didn't get the trophies.  They aren't sure if they used any cheats or not but it's possible.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

No you cannot.  Several people on Bethesda's Rage 2 forums did it that way and the trophies didn't pop for them.  You have to go into the save you plan on using for NG+ and switch the difficulty to ultra nightmare, then save it.  When you choose which save you want to use for NG+ it has to say ultra nightmare for the difficulty.

And also, make sure you never used the trophy disabling cheats on the save you plan on using for NG+, because it's very likely that the trophies will be disabled in NG+ as well.  This hasn't been 100% confirmed, but one person over there did UN in NG+ twice now and didn't get the trophies.  They aren't sure if they used any cheats or not but it's possible.

Oh okay thanks, because the first time I changed the difficulty during the NG+ but then I went back on my old game and changed, so when I started NG+ was already set on UN difficulty. I hope that at the end of the game the trophy will pop up and that I didn't waste anytime to do it on that ridiculous difficulty. Becuase if the only way to do it is in a New game, I'm 100% sure that I'm not going to do it ?

11 hours ago, xHydragon said:

Oh okay thanks, because the first time I changed the difficulty during the NG+ but then I went back on my old game and changed, so when I started NG+ was already set on UN difficulty. I hope that at the end of the game the trophy will pop up and that I didn't waste anytime to do it on that ridiculous difficulty. Becuase if the only way to do it is in a New game, I'm 100% sure that I'm not going to do it 1f643.png

This should work.  That's how I did it and both trophies popped after the credits and the post credits cutscenes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, xHydragon said:

It worked 1f601.png just got both trophies. Only Ironman mode left to get 1f3cb.png

So there is a way, to get the two trophies without playing on UN? Didn't finished my first playthrough yet, but definitely looking forward to 100% this game. So any tips are appreciated. :D 

5 hours ago, bk13pagani said:

So there is a way, to get the two trophies without playing on UN? Didn't finished my first playthrough yet, but definitely looking forward to 100% this game. So any tips are appreciated. :D 

Sorry but there isn't a way but you can play UN on NG+ and on your first run you can fully ugpgrade your ranger and then start the NG+ on UN. Remember that before you start NG+, switch the difficulty of your first run into UN. Another tips is to purchase all the scheme of the overload infusion, and use them on the most difficult parts. I beated Cross and the final boss in this way, using overload mode and crafting the infusions during the battle.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xHydragon said:

Sorry but there isn't a way but you can play UN on NG+ and on your first run you can fully ugpgrade your ranger and then start the NG+ on UN. Remember that before you start NG+, switch the difficulty of your first run into UN. Another tips is to purchase all the scheme of the overload infusion, and use them on the most difficult parts. I beated Cross and the final boss in this way, using overload mode and crafting the infusions during the battle.

And if you have the deluxe edition content then keep your bfg at max, it also really helps with boss fights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the new DLC weapon the Feltrite cannon make this easier?

On 10/15/2019 at 8:20 AM, BIackgate said:

After reading this thread I thought I was going to be in for a painful experience but UV difficulty was a breeze. Took me about 10 hours maybe? Final boss took one try.

Did you get the assault rifle skin when you beat it on Ultra Nightmare?

5 hours ago, pistolpedro said:

Does the new DLC weapon the Feltrite cannon make this easier?

Did you get the assault rifle skin when you beat it on Ultra Nightmare?

I barely used the Feltrite Cannon, although it is a powerful weapon, I just didn't really need it. I think I did get a skin after the credits rolled but I can't remember.

Edited by BIackgate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a really helpful tip for the final boss fight. Many people here said that they ran out of ammo. So I went in the fight very carefully and experimented a bit.

Now the big tip: Use your normal weapons like AR and Shotgun for the boss (not your rocket launcher, this is important) and use the Grav-Dart Launcher for the normal cyborgs, trust me. I'm not kidding... use the Grav-Dart Launcher. Try lining up all the cyborg mutants and just spray the Darts upon them. Then use the second fire to kill them easily. You can also try to push them off the edge. Repeat that for the shooting cyborgs. Than again use your other weapons to destroy the blue cells of the boss. Repeat the same procedere with the Dart Launcher for the cyborg mobs except for the big sword wielding guys. Now use your rocket launcher to kill them easily. And finaly finish the boss.

The fact that they die so quickly using the Dart Launcher is at the same time satisfying and relieving. In fact because of that, I never used my AR or Shotgun in the whole fight. I was really surprised by that. Really this makes the fight WAAAY easier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2019 at 4:32 AM, xIRockyRock said:

This mode is just ridiculous.
I just did the first 3 missions and leveled all allies to level 5 and i am sure i could beat this with a little bit of patience but i stopped playing for now. Not going to waste 20 hours of trial and error for 2 stupid bronce trophies at the moment.

Enemies sometimes eat more then 2 clips while you die in 2-3 shots or 1 nice pump hit. Close combat is almost impossible if there are more then 3 enemies which makes most of your abilities useless.

I played this mode for about 5-6 hours now... the only way to succed is staying on distance and taking out one by one. This isn't fun anymore.

There are some broken mechanics i used but this won't save me from the last boss encounter.

-You can stun lock enemies with your rapid fire shotgun so they never shoot back.

-Bring your Phoenix to camps or outposts to clear most of it with 20mm rounds which are super powerful against infantary or spawn your predator tank (don't know the exact name).

-Always stay on distance and shoot in small bursts to save ammo and be more accurate (most enemies are shotgunners or rocketlauncher guys, so they won't be any threat).

-Enemie projectiles are never hitscan so you can just move in circles for not eating a bullet (sometimes they still get lucky and you get punished by losing half of your health bar).

This. I don't usually do 100% as a plat is enough for me but decided why not as the base game combat is really fun and now I'm thinking nah. Ultra Nightmare basically ruins the best part of the combat which is going in with your shotgun and abilities and shredding everything. Now it's basically a cover shooter which is fine but the behaviour of enemy A.I. favours CQC so it doesn't really work. Like you say, the bullet sponging is ridiculous. I've done one mission and have logged off before i get a headache lol. 

OK, just got the trophies. Ultra Nightmare wasn't too bad; it's actually quite quick. It's just not very fun to be honest and I still wouldn't recommend doing it.

Beat the last boss on the first go but used up nearly all my ammo and that's WITH constant overdrive. Overdrive infusion and turret drones are your friend. Make sure you have enough crafting components on you at all times. Turret drones get shot down quickly but act as great distractions for multiple enemies. With overdrive infusion you don't even need health infusions as much and the damage you deal on the final boss is a lot with it active.

Tips regarding getting the 3 main NPCs to level 5:

• For Loosum just do the convoys as they're super easy and give you a ridiculous amount of XP. Make sure you have the perk that locates convoys.
  • For the Dr. just collecting data pads will level up with him fast and finding the rangers and arc chests which are easy.
  • It's the pink guy (forget his name) where you'll have the toughest time but even then just choose the easiest bases. After completing the main objective for the base make sure to loot storage containers for cash as you'll need money.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

^ for anyone coming to this later you can also get 20 points for Marshall on every one and most of those you can roll up and finish them off in the Phoenix.

Also the fully maxed out Void ability from rise of Ghosts is clutch. Not only will choking enemies out boost your health but it is a guaranteed kill. I used it frequently when running bandit dens and gas stations when one person would come running down the hall they were guaranteed to get choked out.

Ok so I just finished off the final boss here are my observations overall of Ultra Nightmare.  Yes the mode is annoying and sucks but honestly with slam, shatter, void, and dash and the Sword of Transitus I could go dash into a mob slam to knock them all on the ground, hack away at the enemies as they got up and once more than 1 was up start using my 2x shatter to put them back down followed by finally void choking the living shit out of one as I sprinted back to cover.  Combine this with stealth voiding enemies and using the Phoenix to savage as many of the outdoor enemies as possible and most everything was easy going.

As far as the final boss here's how it went down for me

Phase 1:
Pulse Cannon + Overdrive Infusions (constant) to knock out the 4 Cyber Crusher style energy rods it honestly didn't take that long and the overdrive health boost kept me going with jumping over a few shockwaves but not all of them by any means

Phase 1a: Ground Mutants
Sword of Transitus + Slam on the left group hacking up the remainder then dashing over to the right side and grenade + shattering + hacking up those

Phase 1b: Flying Mutants
Used the two cylinders for defense from their pulse shots and used void to choke the life out of them and regain health

Phase 2:
BFG + Overdrive Infusion it literally took 2 shots one to each weak point on the collar and it was over

Phase 2a & b: Same as above

Phase 2c: 2x Armored Authority Soldier
Feltrite Laser Launcher + Overdrive used the columns as defense once again and just blasted them after they unloaded their salvos

Phase 3:

BFG + Overdrive it took me 3 shots to the weak spot on his dome and that was all she wrote roll the credits

The big thing to me is just make sure you have 8x all the inventory items crafted and have 100x all the crafting components along with complete ammo load out before you start project dagger and you should be fine. 

One final parting note for anyone like me.... If you start your original playthrough on Iron Man because you want to beat the game as few times as possible then know that when you start your NG+ save it too will be Iron Man which means yes I literally played NG+ Ultra Nightmare in Iron Man mode.  It turned out to be nowhere near as bad as I initially feared because the death animation violently shakes your controller and is so slow that you can pause and exit to the main menu.  Once you are at the main menu loading the save from the latest checkpoint actually goes fairly quickly.  I never once had to save scum with my online files despite dying over 100 times minimum.  That 2nd to last area with the boatload of mutants in the open area was a PITA to clear the worst part was one mutant spawned on the lower level and stupid me jumped down to fight him and the game just reloaded me at the checkpoint and I had to start all over again.  Once I cleared it a 2nd time I of course forgot about the mutants that spawned on the lift on the other side and so they killed me which meant starting the whole segment over.  The 3rd time was the charm because I remembered to crouch next to the wall and wait till we stopped descending before I void choked them individually.

FYI when I say void choke I just mean hold L1 Focus until the enemy gets squished and the brain pops out their head animation.  It's the only guaranteed kill since heaving them at enemies/walls doesn't guarantee a kill.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:46 AM, puckelberry said:

Don't even consider it Ultra Nightmare is brutal you will die almost immediately without any of the upgrades, but if you manage it I shal proclaim you god of the wasteland

I assume Iron Man + Ultra Nightmare starting off will be horrible however Iron Man + Ultra Nightmare + NG+ turned out to be fairly easy.

Edited by honeybone
Void choke definition
  • Like 1