RDO : Level 50 grind

based on my experience when I played rdr online on release:
just play big matches (forgot how it is called in game), try to do more headshots and deadeye kills that will give you more exp. good match can score you with 600-800 xp per 15 minutes. Not sure what are rates now unfortunately

enjoy the pvp experience and lvl 50 will come naturally.

I got my achievement in a week or so just playing 3-4 hours a day. and that was without xp boosting events, now it should be even faster due to those events.

grinding fort will make you hate yourself after couple of hours.

I haven't played this in a while, but I kept rotating the following methods: 

• Always join Free Roam Events. Especially those where you are on horseback can yield a LOT of XP.. Unfortunately those are rare. 
  • Play MP whenever you feel like it. At least that ain't monotonous, and even if you don't win you'll get a good amount of XP through kills (try to do headshots). 
  • Blow up fish and reset the buckle whenever applicable. Resetting gold buckles is anyways always a must. 

Lastly, they nerfed bonus XP for cop kills. HOWEVER, if you run around Brathwait Manor melee-killing the guards with your knife, you'll get 25 XP per kill. This way I was able to get around 4000 XP per hour (or equivalently, about 1 lv. per hour). Just need to find a good route around the manor. I would do this every now and then whenever I wasn't feeling like joining an MP lobby. Plus, it helps with the execution and melee-combat buckles. They disappear whenever it starts raining, so go do something else when that happens. 

You're still looking at around 50 hours of RDO... good luck! 

Edited by Arcesius

47 minutes ago, Smuiq said:

based on my experience when I played rdr online on release:
just play big matches (forgot how it is called in game), try to do more headshots and deadeye kills that will give you more exp. good match can score you with 600-800 xp per 15 minutes. Not sure what are rates now unfortunately

enjoy the pvp experience and lvl 50 will come naturally.

I got my achievement in a week or so just playing 3-4 hours a day. and that was without xp boosting events, now it should be even faster due to those events.

grinding fort will make you hate yourself after couple of hours.

Thanks for your answer!
I've tried to play "series" (big matches), but there are often players lvl 100/200/300 rolling over everyone (4 skills unlocked, better skills, skills lvl 3, cores lvl 10 each, weapons upgraded to the max, etc) ... so it's almost impossible to be 1st, the most affordable game mode is the horse race, all you need is a good horse (which can be bought lvl 1 if you have gold nuggets), but it provides only 200xp.. also being 1st in an event gives between 300 and 400xp, which is almost impossible, I think it's too late to grind in these events as there are too much high levels in online now, this way would be possible and efficient the first days

PS : Hard to enjoy pvp when high levels one shot you while you need at least 4-5 bullets to kill someone :P (it might be a good way once lvl 50 reached as you unlock more weapons/customized weapons/skills unlocked and lvl 3 if you got enough money), for now I'm only lvl 23

@Arcesius : thanks for your answer!

I heard some buckles could be reseted but for now I couldn't, maybe it's only about fishes buckles, I'll try these! thanks :)

I'll also try your routine farming method at manor! it might be a good way if ennemies spawn during the routine, it's the same method than fort mercer but without the requierments of being 2 to launch the mission + loading times during each missions!

Edited by MercureUnleashed

17 hours ago, inesses said:

Hey, follow this method. It's very easy and fast. Depending on your skill you can get from 1 to 3 levels per hour.

That's the exact video I watched and it was perfect because it can be done solo. I actually would go as far as saying it's the best method and I'd accrue 5-6.5k XP per hour depending on if I knock off some challenges or not. 

Additionally, I crafted my special ammo initially which helped me get the crafting challenge 2-3 times throughout my run. 

I also collected herbs from time to time to break the grind and sold it to the doctor and have reset that challenge about 4 times. 

Tackling all of the online trophies all in all took me 56 hours so expect something similar or more should you decide to not grind the level 50 trophy. 

Edited by PooPooBlast

Fair to play to any and all who do this. Although I have the game, I'mma play the story on an alt account or even my Xbox One because there's no way I'll be able to stomach the grind online. I just don't have the fortitude, too delicate, y'know?

I personally just kept replaying the Fort Mercer story mission, but PVP is the way to go if you're good at it.

Also there's the gold buckle glitch, though I'm not sure if it's fixed. Basically when you get a gold buckle close your game immediately, when you start it up again it will be reset to just below the requirement, you can do it up to 9 times if I remember correctly (same amount as you can reset it).

FYI : The best way to level up is to farm Thieves landing, I've grinded a lot of levels this way, it's much faster than the story mission "kill them all" at fort mercer! (about 2 levels / hours between levels 31-42, only need few levels now to reach 50 but it wouldn't take more than 5h or so...)

Farming thieves landing with :

- dead eyes : 1 buckle

- headshots : 1 buckle

- using the same weapon : 1 buckle 

- on horse : 1 buckle

- crafting special ammo every 100 ammos : 1 buckle

>> 5 buckles to reset every 1000 kills..

You can also kill them with a bow (headshots) (1 buckle to reset every 100 kills), much faster but only 40 arrows

Edited by MercureUnleashed