Thoughts on Trophies

Stormwarrior90

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, Helyx said:

Game looks amazing and trophy list looks good as well. Really wondering about this one:

35L68f5ca.png

Lord Of Metal
Finish the game with 10 or fewer deaths.

Holy 2D platformer biscuits this game is no joke, but man it's been a good minute since I've had this much fun getting my ass kicked, lol. This trophy I do believe will be the hardest to get, unless your weapons and everything carry over across playthroughs. Just barely defeated the second boss, already well over 50 deaths and I think close to 2 hours put in. So that time sensitive trophy will be quite a challenge as well it seems. Overall enjoying it, though. It's hard, but not in a bad way. In a "you gotta earn it" kind of way.  

• Like 4

On 11/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, Velvet said:

Holy 2D platformer biscuits this game is no joke, but man it's been a good minute since I've had this much fun getting my ass kicked, lol. This trophy I do believe will be the hardest to get, unless your weapons and everything carry over across playthroughs. Just barely defeated the second boss, already well over 50 deaths and I think close to 2 hours put in. So that time sensitive trophy will be quite a challenge as well it seems. Overall enjoying it, though. It's hard, but not in a bad way. In a "you gotta earn it" kind of way.  

Two words. Save scum. ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to necro this thread but I just wanted to say this game was really fun.  The metal soundtrack kills, the art is great, and I never got tired of the headbanging animation your guy does when he gets a new weapon. The final boss was a little cheap but I eventually figured it out. Awesome! ?

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Feels harder than Slain to me. I'm currently right near the end of my first playthrough, and thus far, I've gotten my ass thoroughly kicked. The game takes a Ghosts 'n Goblins approach in certain sections, forcing you to blast your way forward against an unending horde of monsters. I really enjoy the cool risk/reward checkpoint system, though; I've traded at least half of those Resurrection Idols for upgrade material.

EDIT: I was wrong, haha. Repeat playthroughs feel much more manageable, since you know what to expect and what the best weapons are (hint: the shotgun is overpowered).

The speedrun/minimal deaths run went pretty smoothy with backup saves, and was easier than Slain's deathless trophy. I tried to mimic the world record speedrun video, ending up with a time of 1:30:00, and 7 deaths. Loadout was Vroll's Sidearm, Therion's Own, and Hellhammer. Upgrade the shotgun to maximum soon as possible, because it shreds everything, including bosses.

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 2022-06-28 at 11:48 AM, StraightVege said:

Feels harder than Slain to me. I'm currently right near the end of my first playthrough, and thus far, I've gotten my ass thoroughly kicked. The game takes a Ghosts 'n Goblins approach in certain sections, forcing you to blast your way forward against an unending horde of monsters. I really enjoy the cool risk/reward checkpoint system, though; I've traded at least half of those Resurrection Idols for upgrade material.

EDIT: I was wrong, haha. Repeat playthroughs feel much more manageable, since you know what to expect and what the best weapons are (hint: the shotgun is overpowered).

The speedrun/minimal deaths run went pretty smoothy with backup saves, and was easier than Slain's deathless trophy. I tried to mimic the world record speedrun video, ending up with a time of 1:30:00, and 7 deaths. Loadout was Vroll's Sidearm, Therion's Own, and Hellhammer. Upgrade the shotgun to maximum soon as possible, because it shreds everything, including bosses.

I had pretty much the exact same experience as you. ?

I actually don’t think I’ve ever played a Contra-style game like this before, so needless to say it was pretty brutal for me and I found it considerably harder than Slain: Back From Hell at first. Slain has a much slower pace to it and relies very heavily on a rhythm of parrying and dishing out powerful counter strikes. And it generally sees you fighting less enemies at once and has a bit more emphasis on mediocre platforming. In comparison, Valfaris is super fast-paced with furious, non-stop action, projectiles whizzing all over the screen, enemies spawning above, below, and behind you while you are limited to shooting in 8 directions which surprisingly tripped me up a LOT at first.

My first playthrough took me almost 10 hours and I died exactly 395 times. The thought of trying to speed run the game in 2 hours with under 10 deaths seemed incredibly daunting at first. But I was surprised how much more manageable the game was on a repeat playthrough when you know exactly what to expect. It’s not a long game at all, so all that fresh knowledge of enemy and boss patterns, fight rooms, traps, what weapons to use and when etc. carries over remarkably well into subsequent runs. Then if, like me, you combine that knowledge with a speed run guide on YouTube to use as a visual blueprint, those final trophies are surprisingly easy. My 2nd run only took me an hour and a half over the course of a few hours of real time using cloud saves. It was hard to believe it was the same game that had just whooped my ass so badly in the day prior.

The developers did remedy this “problem” for hardcore fans or people who want repeat playthroughs though. It looks like the guide here on PSNP was written way before, but they have since added a free “Full Metal Mode” (NG+) to the game and it’s a pretty cool addition for people who loved the game and want to squeeze some more fun out of it. While your weapons and upgrades carry over, the enemies are considerably tougher and more aggressive, and bosses have new attack patterns and some tricks up their sleeve to kick your ass all over again. I didn’t spend much time with it myself as I wanted to move on, but I think it’s an awesome way to make repeat runs of the game feel fresh and challenging once again. Valfaris is one of those games that’s perfectly designed to pick up & play for a few minutes here and there for pure fun and enjoyment, so there’s a lot of potential for replayability for those who want it.

Overall this is an excellent game and a very, very fun platinum. The art style is gorgeous, the metal soundtrack is bad ass as fuck, and the guns all feel amazing and satisfying as you vaporize huge hordes of enemies. I’d highly recommend this to anybody. Can’t wait for the sequel that’s coming! 

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2