PS3 not working properly

Kiyan-13

My ps3(FAT 40GB) is not working properly and I wanted to ask people of our forum if they have experienced the same problem and if they managed to solve it.

Console loads normally and games too, but after 30 mins or so my game stacks at loading screen for eternity. Here are some facts:

1) Once my game stacks I try quitting but it freezes, screen turns black and I hear a double beep. While it's still on, I tap eject which takes a few seconds and then ejects the disc and console restarts. If I close my console by tapping On/Off button after turning it on again it will not show the disc even if it still is inside.

2) Got the ps3 used like a year ago and so far have played 10+ games for over 500 hours, no problem at all. Console was unopened. 

3) Fan used to start making noise after 30-60 mins of gaming from the beginning, started this after the first couple of games. Now for some reason I don't hear it, it's working(I can feel the air) but it's not making that characteristic noise. 

4) Tried to fix it but got nothing. Opened it and cleaned dust, cleaned lens, tried safe mode options(Restore File System, Rebuild Database & Format) but none of them fixed it. Tried test fan to see if it's dead but my fan was working normally and made the noise it used to.

5) Since this started, I have got some random errors and most of them(if not all) appear after restarting console and trying to play the game again. I don't really think they are connected but here are some of which I googled to find a solution(unsuccessfully):

8001050F

At first I thought it was the game, but tried other games and got the same problem. The whole thing with fan bothers me the most, don't understand why it stopped making the noise. Any ideas?

Edited by Kiyan-13

Error 80010514 is the same error I had back in September which meant the Blu-ray lens was dead. Everything else worked on the PS3 except reading any Blu-ray discs. No other solutions worked for me so I had to purchase a new Blu-ray lens deck and swap them. After that I was back to playing games normally with no issue.

3 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

Does your PS3 freeze if you play a digital game. I would suspect it's the blu-ray that's malfunctioning.

Planning on doing that tonight. Didn't have any digital game to test that earlier.

6 minutes ago, JRL_1004 said:

Error 80010514 is the same error I had back in September which meant the Blu-ray lens was dead. Everything else worked on the PS3 except reading any Blu-ray discs. No other solutions worked for me so I had to purchase a new Blu-ray lens deck and swap them. After that I was back to playing games normally with no issue.

My lens is working, at least for now.

Edited by Kiyan-13

21 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

What do you expect from us now? You have tried everything reasonable. Deal with it or purchase another PS3. They won't get any more cheaper.

Let's call that plan B.

6 minutes ago, serpent_guy said:

fat? slim? super slim?

Fat 40GB, sorry completely forgot to mention that.

I looked at my notes from years ago and went online to back myself up:

80010006 means that there was an issue during start operation.

8001050F causes the PS3 to malfunction when connecting to the PSN, to play games, trophy data and DLC can become corrupted, and the PS3 clock is reset back to January 1, 2000.  (Leap year issue on PS3 models)

Have you tried updating your console if it isn't updated already?

I don't know about the error, but my PS3 stopped reading BD discs a while ago.  It functions normally in every other way, but I can no longer play disc games.  This wasn't immediate, it was a gradual process.  A game would spin and load and work great, then a little while in it would try to load between scenes and would take a long time, then work.  That became more frequent.  Then it would eventually try to load between scenes and stop responding, stuck on a black screen.  A reset 'fixed' it and I loaded and continued.  Eventually this became more common too.  Then it eventually gave me problems loading the game at all.  It would take 2, then 3, then many more tries.  Eventually every load - from boot to every loading screen - would sit on a black screen and do nothing.  Often I'd put the disc in and it wouldn't register as being there.  Repeatedly ejecting and reinserting eventually led to its recognition, until the next failed boot.  Playing games went from being a frustrating process to impossible.  However, digital games worked without issue.

Over the course of this happening, I had no idea what was causing it at first.  I thought maybe my disc was scratched (until I tried other discs).  I thought maybe my saves were corrupted.  I thought a lot of things.  Some discs worked, others didn't, until eventually all discs stopped working.  When I finally opened up the console, the laser, which is supposed to be bright blue, was a dark purple.  According to the internet, this is a telltale sign of a failing laser.  At some point I will replace the laser as I still have a PS3 disc backlog I wish to knock out, but at least I am confident in what the problem is.  It took months and months for this situation to develop, it certainly wasn't overnight.  It sounds to me like you're in the first stage of the same process, but of course that's just my opinion and pure speculation.  Either way, I hope you're able to fix it.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Did you replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU?

No, I didn't. It sounded complicated and I didn't want to open it and accidentally destroy something. Is it really that important to replace it?

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

I don't know about the error, but my PS3 stopped reading BD discs a while ago.  It functions normally in every other way, but I can no longer play disc games.  This wasn't immediate, it was a gradual process.  A game would spin and load and work great, then a little while in it would try to load between scenes and would take a long time, then work.  That became more frequent.  Then it would eventually try to load between scenes and stop responding, stuck on a black screen.  A reset 'fixed' it and I loaded and continued.  Eventually this became more common too.  Then it eventually gave me problems loading the game at all.  It would take 2, then 3, then many more tries.  Eventually every load - from boot to every loading screen - would sit on a black screen and do nothing.  Often I'd put the disc in and it wouldn't register as being there.  Repeatedly ejecting and reinserting eventually led to its recognition, until the next failed boot.  Playing games went from being a frustrating process to impossible.  However, digital games worked without issue.

Over the course of this happening, I had no idea what was causing it at first.  I thought maybe my disc was scratched (until I tried other discs).  I thought maybe my saves were corrupted.  I thought a lot of things.  Some discs worked, others didn't, until eventually all discs stopped working.  When I finally opened up the console, the laser, which is supposed to be bright blue, was a dark purple.  According to the internet, this is a telltale sign of a failing laser.  At some point I will replace the laser as I still have a PS3 disc backlog I wish to knock out, but at least I am confident in what the problem is.  It took months and months for this situation to develop, it certainly wasn't overnight.  It sounds to me like you're in the first stage of the same process, but of course that's just my opinion and pure speculation.  Either way, I hope you're able to fix it.

We have many problems in common, might be same case. I'll try a digital game tonight and post afterwards.

Thanks for replying, guys! ^^

Edited by Kiyan-13

35 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

No, I didn't. It sounded complicated and I didn't want to open it and accidentally destroy something. Is it really that important to replace it?

We have many problems in common, might be same case. I'll try a digital game tonight and post afterwards.

Thanks for replying, guys! ^^

Thermal paste over time slowly dries up and becomes less effective, causing the system to heat up much faster, shortening the lifespan on the CPU/GPU. Sony uses some pretty shitty thermal paste too. When I replaced the paste on my ps3, average temps dropped by 10-15 degrees celsius

It's relatively easy to replace it on the unit if you follow a teardown guide on ifixit

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Thermal paste over time slowly dries up and becomes less effective, causing the system to heat up much faster, shortening the lifespan on the CPU/GPU. Sony uses some pretty shitty thermal paste too. When I replaced the paste on my ps3, average temps dropped by 10-15 degrees celsius

It's relatively easy to replace it on the unit if you follow a teardown guide on ifixit

I'll check it again, hope I'll manage to replace it without destroying anything.

Played a digital game(a demo) last night and I had no problem at all, but I didn't play much(30 mins) and game was a lite one, so I wanted to make another test the next day. Today morning I played a physical first, which leaded to the problem almost immediately, and then after restarting I played another digital(Batman's Demo) and had no problem completing it.

I guess that makes it official, it's console's lens slowly dying. I'll buy one from eBay and replace it when it arrives.

Thanks for the help people! ?

3 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

I'll check it again, hope I'll manage to replace it without destroying anything.

Played a digital game(a demo) last night and I had no problem at all, but I didn't play much(30 mins) and game was a lite one, so I wanted to make another test the next day. Today morning I played a physical first, which leaded to the problem almost immediately, and then after restarting I played another digital(Batman's Demo) and had no problem completing it.

I guess that makes it official, it's console's lens slowly dying. I'll buy one from eBay and replace it when it arrives.

Thanks for the help people! 1f44d.png

If you have any lithium grease, I'd recommend that you lubricate the rails for the laser since you'll be opening the blu ray drive anyways

• Like 1