Is Apple the way to go for image editing?

zairozen

I don't have much experience with that dang expensive photoshop, so i need some beginners advice. I don't know how or where i should go from the start. I've been researching apple. Looks like they have a good system for all of this. I'll be buying a macbook pro i7 soon. Is that a good choice?

Again, i just need some tips from you pros.

Thanks ;)

I se an apple mate honestly the best computer I have ever owned they are bloody awesome and now I will never go back to PC

Great graphics cards stock in them and good for editing like you would like to do I do a little bit of editing here and there.

But yer in my opinion well with the $$$$

Macs have dominated the creative industries (video, image, 3d rendering, web design etc) for decades. Generally speaking, Mac design / development software and the hardware's ability to run it well kicks PC's arse.

I'm an old-school PC user who recently transferred my web development studio over to Mac. Despite working with Mac users for 15 years, I resisted the move until the Intel-powered i5 and i7 27" iMacs hit the market in 2009. Since making the move from PC, I haven't looked back and I doubt I'll buy another PC again.

Unlike PC, Macs just work - my frustration levels are way down and productivity is way up, not to mention my Tourette's syndrome is all but cured ;) My Quad-core i5 iMac sports lower system specs than my Quad-core i7, Quad-GPU PC, yet running the same Adobe CS5.5 memory-whore software the same way on my Mac is faster, more stable and far less likely to crash.

Given I've historically used Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver up to 10 hours a day, the time and frustration savings add up, and for the first time in years, I actually look forward to firing up my work rig and getting on with my day.

BTW, you can save yourself some big bucks by going with Pixelmator instead of Photoshop - Adobe's being matched if not surpassed in many of their industry-leading software by smaller and much cheaper players on the Mac. For example, I haven't touched Dreamweaver since the move to Mac and use Coda instead (I prefer to hand-code my websites).

Long story short...if you're serious about pursuing graphic design as a career, go with a Mac, you won't regret it. Every web design studio, freelance designer, video producer and advertising agency I've ever worked for or with is Mac-powered.

If you're a weekend warrior and just playing around in Photoshop, PC is fine...as long as your system can run the latest version and you can put up with the memory leaks and software crashes. If you're running a 3 years+ old PC, stick with Adobe CS3. It was far more stable and speedier than CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 and you won't lose a great deal of software features and file format compatibility.

• Like 2

Thanks ant1! I don't have the money as of yet, but i am definitely serious about website designing and image editing. My first step, would have been this:

Macbook i7 17"

Photoshop Cs5"

(sooner or later) Ipad2

So, in your own opinion, This would be a good choice:

Mac (iMac or Macbook i assume)

Pixelmator

I am not completely sure what Pixelmator is, but i will do some research. Also, do you or anyone have any tips on accessories? Like what material things do you use, or have bought to do this?

• 1 month later...

Long story short...if you're serious about pursuing graphic design as a career, go with a Mac, you won't regret it. Every web design studio, freelance designer, video producer and advertising agency I've ever worked for or with is Mac-powered.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell, although PC's are gaining ground, especially in the Digital Printing market.

Having been involved in Commercial Graphic Design and Pre-press for well over 20 years, a solid 15 of those were with MAC's exclusively. Now I do have to mention I work in print and not web design, so I am not too sure how dominant PC's are in the professional setting for web designers.

Although PC's can and will produce the same results as a MAC (either you know how to use your software and have the skill to do so or you do not), it is in the Pre-press process that a MAC shines and the PC gives Pre-press folks like me nightmares. The best PC fonts are the shits at best, and all those shitty TT "Design Fonts" people seem to be using anymore are even worse, color shifts are terrible (which is why you use PMS colors folks, never trust the screen).

Bottom line is: If you want to get into professional design, learn to use a MAC first.

I personally use both, I use my PC for Direct-to-Plate projects, and my MAC for all others (Film & Flexo)

No. I don't know much about image editing or anything like that, but from what I've heard, Mac used to be better for image editing and movie making but now Windows has either caught up, or surpassed, Mac's image editing and movie making. Pretty much anything Mac can do, Windows can do as good or better. Macs are now used by hipster digital artists that like to think Apple is so much better than Microsoft. Do not buy one of those overpriced products from Apple.

No. I don't know much about image editing or anything like that, but from what I've heard, Mac used to be better for image editing and movie making but now Windows has either caught up, or surpassed, Mac's image editing and movie making. Pretty much anything Mac can do, Windows can do as good or better. Macs are now used by hipster digital artists that like to think Apple is so much better than Microsoft. Do not buy one of those overpriced products from Apple.

Really?

Tell ya' what, create a image in 4-color process, with a single spot color and another "color" for varnish on the PC, and submit it to a non-digital offset printer or Flexo-printer and watch the cost of your pre-press bill triple because we have to clean all the shit up from those PC's that have surpassed MAC's in the printing industry.

Problem with most of today's "designers" is that they honestly think that design starts and stops with the image they create. They have no idea how to properly prep their files, imbed fonts, colors, color palettes, create bleeds; nor know the difference between RGB or CMYK, nor Process versus spot colors. Hell, most don't even understand the nor use the correct DPI for professional printing of their files.

As the majority of impagnation software is indeed MAC based, the first thing that needs to be done is convert PC files to a MAC format....and a good 60% of the time they come out like shit. But keep submitting those "superior PC" files, and I will gladly bill you the $75-$150 per hour to correct them...keeps me busy and well paid.

Really?

Tell ya' what, create a image in 4-color process, with a single spot color and another "color" for varnish on the PC, and submit it to a non-digital offset printer or Flexo-printer and watch the cost of your pre-press bill triple because we have to clean all the shit up from those PC's that have surpassed MAC's in the printing industry.

Problem with most of today's "designers" is that they honestly think that design starts and stops with the image they create. They have no idea how to properly prep their files, imbed fonts, colors, color palettes, create bleeds; nor know the difference between RGB or CMYK, nor Process versus spot colors. Hell, most don't even understand the nor use the correct DPI for professional printing of their files.

As the majority of impagnation software is indeed MAC based, the first thing that needs to be done is convert PC files to a MAC format....and a good 60% of the time they come out like shit. But keep submitting those "superior PC" files, and I will gladly bill you the $75-$150 per hour to correct them...keeps me busy and well paid.

Like I said, I have heard that Windows has caught up to Macs in media making and editing. I may be wrong since I know nothing about it, that is just what I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a design shop.

We use both. There is no difference.

The only thing to consider is the hardware. If you are trying to do anything with old hardware, any other OS on a better platform would do better.

.eps is .eps either way you do it.

.eps is .eps either way you do it.

Although true in that calling a eps (Encapsulated Post Script) file the same regardless if one uses a PC or MAC, a eps files is not foolproof. It is just that, a file extension.

Many new designers have no idea on how to properly prep their files for printing, regardless if it is submitted in eps, tiff or PDF. The file extension is not what makes or breaks a good file, but how it is submitted to those of us who have to pre-flight and pre-press the files. Basically taking worthless files/designs, and fixing them so they can be made viable for printing.

Among those things that submitted files need to be press-ready are:

• Extend bleed artwork to bleed lines
  • Check that important content is within safety margins
  • Check and edit colors
  • Check that process colors are CMYK (not RGB)
  • Check that spot colors are converted to CMYK or, if desired, carefully defined and applied as spot
  • Trash unused color swatches
  • Make sure there are no missing or inactive fonts
  • Check that fonts are styled in their "true" form (in other words, unaltered by artificial "bold" or "italics" options in the application)
  • Check that linked graphics are up to date
  • Tidy by deleting unused elements, elements on the pasteboard, and empty boxes
  • Check layers
  • Make sure that the template layer only contains template elements
  • Template layer is set to non-printing or turned off
  • Artwork layer only contains artwork
  • Create a color proof to check your document for color quality, spelling and layout.
    Although Direct-to-plate is becoming more common, there are still plenty of printing shops that deal with film/plates, and those pieces of equipment are still primarily MAC based.

As for myself, I always convert my files in a High-res PDF when I use a PC.

Thanks ant1! I don't have the money as of yet, but i am definitely serious about website designing and image editing. My first step, would have been this:

Macbook i7 17"

Photoshop Cs5"

(sooner or later) Ipad2

So, in your own opinion, This would be a good choice:

Mac (iMac or Macbook i assume)

Pixelmator

I am not completely sure what Pixelmator is, but i will do some research. Also, do you or anyone have any tips on accessories? Like what material things do you use, or have bought to do this?

What makes a Mac so special is OS X, which is $30. You could build a PC with the same specs as any Mac for half the price AND get OS X running native on it.

You can do web design in any decent image editor (I use Photoshop) and web development in any text editor and a browser.

Plus the usability of the OS X dock is really low, Win 7 taskbar is miles better.

What makes a Mac so special is OS X, which is $30. You could build a PC with the same specs as any Mac for half the price AND get OS X running native on it.

You can do web design in any decent image editor (I use Photoshop) and web development in any text editor and a browser.

Plus the usability of the OS X dock is really low, Win 7 taskbar is miles better.

Wait so you the site programmer use a PC?! I thought you'd use a Mac!!!

Anyways Macs are perfect for using all Adobe products, Acrobat, Bridge, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.

PCs are best for everything else, ESPECIALLY PC gaming.

The main thing is this: It depends on if you're doing screen design [Web, digital painting, photo manipulation, etc], or Print design [Magazines, fliers, cards, photos, etc.].

If you're talking primarily screen design, then it doesn't really matter - although Macs just play nicer overall with things like Photoshop. These are things that are primarily going to be presented on a monitor, so as long as they are saved in the proper color profile for the average monitor, you'll be fine.

It's print design where the difference comes in - and Wade has pretty much covered the bases there. A Mac will definitely serve you better there.

In short - If it's going no further than the monitor, it doesn't matter what you make it on. If it's going somewhere to be printed, then a Mac will suit you better.

Anyways Macs are perfect for using all Adobe products, Acrobat, Bridge, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.

PCs are best for everything else, ESPECIALLY PC gaming.

Yep, Photoshop works fine on PC
Generally, “Macs” are mentioned in the same sentence as “graphic design,” and rightfully so for their excellent graphics and font capabilities, and ease of use. The drawback of the Apple used to be the price, but if you do want a Mac and are tight on budget consider the “consumer” level iMac, which is powerful enough for graphic design tasks, or a refurbished model. In the end, especially when starting out, you will probably do just as well with a PC. With some smart shopping you can get a powerful one for less money than a Mac, and you will be using the same design software… your creativity, and not the cost of your computer, will determine the outcome of your work.

But yeah, if you want a Mac, build a hackintosh, or get someone to build one for you, it's still cheaper.

But yeah, if you want a Mac, build a hackintosh, or get someone to build one for you, it's still cheaper.

For someone who doesn't know much about computers, it's a little risky to be trying to build one. Or even have a friend to build one for him, which it doesn't seem like he has, since he's asking here on the forums rather than them.

To clarify, by not having friends, I mean friends that are super computer savvy, not in general. =P

By buying a Mac, he's paying extra money to have someone "know" stuff for him, essentially.

I've made up my mind, I'll have just a PC.

To be quite honest, the majority of folks will do just fine with a PC. If one knows how to properly set up their files (if they are going to go high-end printing) a PC will work just fine. There are a few precautions to take, but very much unlike 5+ years ago, a PC will work just fine.

Just because MAC's are still primarily seen in the high-end printing industry, do not confuse that fact with thinking PC's are inferior...and I hope I didn't make it seem so. PhotoShop is PhotShop, Illustrator is Illustrator, etc., the only real difference being the PC uses the Ctrl button, the MAC uses the Command button (the one that looks like a propeller) for many of the shortcuts. There are a few differences, but overall, the programs, if used correctly, will give the same results on a PC or MAC.

For those like Sly and others who do primarily web-based work/design, the PC is just fine. When creating low/Med res (non-offset print) graphics, one can not tell the difference if they were created with a PC or a MAC as the end result is the same.

• 3 weeks later...

You may save money by building a hackintosh, but you might be spending more in time working out kinks and troubleshooting device issues. Since you are putting a Mac OS on non-Mac hardware, don't expect any support.

I really can't say too much regarding which one is better for photo/video editing as I've never really done it. Just for general use I really don't see any benefit from using a Mac over a PC. I've started to mess around with Linux lately and I've spent more time fixing my tools than building my proverbial house. Windows works well and is stable, that's why companies build networks around them.

The biggest piece of advice I can add to this discussion is buy your Mac refurbed from Apple; if you decide to go that route. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac I've known many Mac repair techs through my job say that that is all they ever buy. You get a new case, new battery and it has a full warranty just like a new Mac product but with a slightly cheaper price.