Backwards Compatibility & Preserving Legacies

Everz00

Lol, I bought the Xbox/PC game pass for $1 and cancelled my Subscription the same day.

True backwards compaitibility is what made the Atari 7800, PS2 and Wii so brilliant. The Ps3 was always powerful enough for PS2 BC yet Sony saw the $ in digital.

Some of these remasters are pure turd, Yakuza collection, Mafia 2, actually there's little point in mentioning the bad ones. The Good ones imo so far are the Yakuza Kiwami games, Trials of Mana. That pretty much covers that. Who can afford a new console? The older players that would use BC? Or the kiddies who play games made for consumers? Sony needs to step up this time.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:13 PM, TJ_Solo said:

You mean keeping as many people as possible locked into the Xbox ecosystem. 

I agree wholeheartedly. 

I wonder if keeping people locked into the Xbox ecosystem will do nothing for expanding the userbase, because they seem to be focusing a lot of energy on saying backwards compatability yadda yadda when theyre not the market leader.

If they wanted to be the market leader i feel they should put more energy into console sellers. And for me they are severely lacking in this department. I mean some of microsofts exclusives are on the same iteration as sony's and sony has been round a reasonable while longer.

Microsoft only seem to be singing to the choir.

Im no xbox hater (i had a 360 instead of a ps3, got a ps4 now though!) but theyve given me no reason to go back. Id love a competitive microsoft as it would drive competition (duh) and creativity. This can only reward gamers surely.

Edited by punkshepherd
Wooo

• 2 months later...

According to Ubisoft's support page, PS5 will not have PS1/PS2/PS3 BC

This really should surprise no one at all. They likely would have mentioned it at the developer conference if were a thing.

Why they couldn't at least throw in PS1 and (most) PS2 BC... I don't know. Seems like low hanging fruit. PS3 BC is completely understandable though.

• Like 1

At this point i see no surprise at all with ps5 not having bc with ps3/ps2/ps1.

They already stated many times that they don't care about backwards compatibility, if we have ps4 compatibility is because ps5 is built over an upgraded ps4.

What i see bad is that sony won't allow ds4 to be used with ps5 titles. We all know that there are many multiplatform games, indie games, etc  which won't use the new gimmicks.

4 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

if we have ps4 compatibility is because ps5 is built over an upgraded ps4.

That's a pretty big oversimplification

4 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

What i see bad is that sony won't allow ds4 to be used with ps5 titles.

They did the same thing with DS3 on PS4. It would have been nice if a game didn't use the features of the newest controller, to allow the previous controller to be used, but I can only imagine the support nightmare that would create.

• Like 1

Normally, I would have an issue with a flood of remasters.  When a company makes a remaster of a game, that means they aren't creating new games or new content. Which is obviously a bad thing.

But Here's The Thing: The gaming market is so saturated with so many games. So many different types of games, and amazing games in each genre of games, that it doesn't really matter if there are remasters. We're always going to have something new to play.

And if you have a favorite studio (or whatever) that's making remasters, rather than new games..... and you move onto a new game made by a different studio, than it's the first studio's loss. There are probably a good 30 games right now on my "must play" list.... so I'm ok with the remasters, personally.

As far as legacy goes...... nobody cares about that except the gamers. Companies, studios, developers, publishers, etc. etc..... only care about making money. They don't care about legacy.

15 minutes ago, Fish613 said:

And if you have a favorite studio (or whatever) that's making remasters, rather than new games..... and you move onto a new game made by a different studio, than it's the first studio's loss.

A lot of the remasters are done by separate studios than the original that specialize in mostly doing remasters. Generally it's a false argument that they could be making something new instead of remastering.

16 minutes ago, Fish613 said:

As far as legacy goes...... nobody cares about that except the gamers. Companies, studios, developers, publishers, etc. etc..... only care about making money. They don't care about legacy.

One might even realize that they're not considering legacy, they're only considering the 10's of millions of other potential new gamers who weren't even gaming when the original was released. People who worry about "legacy" tend to think though the lens of themselves and only their experience, as if everyone else in the world has had that same exact experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

That's a pretty big oversimplification.

You know my statement was referring to the bc aspect. I didn't need to write about ps5 whole architecture, we had already a complete event just to talk about the ps5 design, what i needed from there was that ps5 was built over the ps4.

i don't need to mention big aspects related to ps5 design to establish the obvious reason why ps4 compatibility was possible for them.

Edited by GoldenShaka

From what I've watched and read. 

In my opinion...

Xbox gave up on console gaming and the console wars. 

Phil Spencer is going in the direction of making Xbox a subscription service to all platforms. And Xbox console is just for people who just want the convenience of not having to deal with a PC. Just have an easy pop in and play device. But what I don't get is how they're going to make money off of subscriptions when they're gaming library isn't as great as PlayStations..

Backwards compatibility... 

Eh, the only Xbox games I would want to play is Halo and Gears.

All I need is my PS3, PS Vita and hopefully PS5. Hopefully the PS4 games I want to play will be able to be played on the PS5 by the time I could get one.

• 2 weeks later...