After Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda who do you think Sony should go for?

blazeadeel

It would be really cool if Sony got their hands on either Square Enix, Ubisoft or CD Project Red. Seeing Final Fantasy, any upcoming Assassin's Creed games and (oh god imagine.....) Cyberpunk 2077 become Ps5 exclusives. That would piss off A LOT of Xbox players :P.

When I heard about microsoft aquiring Bethesda I was a little sad but then I also realized they haven't put out a 'quality' game in the last 5 years (and I'm talking about Bethesda, the ones behind Elder Scrolls and Fallout, not Arkane the studio behind Dishonored and Prey or ID te studio behind Doom, Quake and Rage or any side-studio Bethesda has). Fallout 76 is an atrocity and shouldn't be allowed to even be called a Fallout game in the first place. They re-released Skyrim like, what, 4 to 5 times now (standard version, legendary edition, special edition, Skyrim VR)? And yes, it may be so that Elder Scrolls 6 could go Xbox exclusive (which I highly doubt since they would lose so much money on that) but truly I think the Bethesda games get overhyped for most of the times. And this is all coming from a Bethesda fanboy, I used to play the living hell out of Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Plus, Playstations exclusive line-up compared  to that of Microsoft, even after aquiring Bethesda, is solid and strong! Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, Demon Souls and God of War are games the Xbox players can never get their hands on and that is what makes playstation great in its own right. I'm curious about what's about to come and what Bethesda will announce about their games becoming exclusives (or not). But I think we shouldn't mourn for the possible loss of Bethesda games on Playstation 5, especially when there's so much more to come.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

On 9/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, Leenewbe said:

housemarque, let them make those arcade, twin stick shooters, also reogun 2.

bluepoint would be a good option too, give them access to the whole library of shelved sony ips.

Housemarque dropped the arcade stick shooter three years ago after Nex Machina and Matterfall sold poorly.

I don't think a company like Microsoft or Sony should be purchasing any AAA game companies. If they want to buy a company they should buy smaller companies to build them up like Sony already does. Corporations buying AAA companies is going to make the gaming community and "console wars" more toxic than they already are

• Like 1

The idea that Sony needs to buy a publisher because Microsoft did is dumb. It perpetuates the fabricated console war. It’s completely speculation that the recently purchased publishers titles will all go MS exclusive, but if the Minecraft purchase can show anything, it’s that things will probably still be released on Playstation. 

Comeback?

W?

Come on, don’t take this seriously. 

• Like 1

No. 

This is just wanting a bigger piece of the pie. If there’s anything I learned in the past 10 years regarding acquisitions, it’s that most of the time, these corporations want more assets. 

I would much rather have CD Projekt Red be independent than just simply bought out. 

I am sick and tired of these giant corporations buying up these companies just because they can. Money is more prevalent than ever in the video game industry. Sony is on the top of that pile of money grinning like a pig rolling around in shit. 

Just 10 years ago they had fierce competition from Microsoft and suffered that PSN shutdown which had many loyal gamers jump ship. Nowadays it is a completely different ballgame. 

Shit is getting too ‘corporatized’. It’s big business getting what it wants. Billions of money rolls in. People spend loads of it. The cycle repeats. 

Capitalism at its worst. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

After the major news that Microsoft bought Bethesda I was thinking about a acquisition that I think will be realistic for Sony and a dream acquisition that I have. 

For me I think it will be the most realistic that Bluepoint is next. However, for a dream it will probably have to be Kojima productions and for a bonus for a dream that will never happen is for Rockstar to be acquired.  

What will everyone else’s predictions and dream acquisitions be? 

On 9/27/2020 at 0:06 AM, Spaz said:

No. 

This is just wanting a bigger piece of the pie. If there’s anything I learned in the past 10 years regarding acquisitions, it’s that most of the time, these corporations want more assets. 

I would much rather have CD Projekt Red be independent than just simply bought out. 

I am sick and tired of these giant corporations buying up these companies just because they can. Money is more prevalent than ever in the video game industry. Sony is on the top of that pile of money grinning like a pig rolling around in shit. 

Just 10 years ago they had fierce competition from Microsoft and suffered that PSN shutdown which had many loyal gamers jump ship. Nowadays it is a completely different ballgame. 

Shit is getting too ‘corporatized’. It’s big business getting what it wants. Billions of money rolls in. People spend loads of it. The cycle repeats. 

Capitalism at its worst. 

Agree with this thought process.  Competition is good for the consumer.  We do not want Sony and MS to own all the devs.  It will just let them charge more for games and it's already about to get out of control with $70-$100 USD game prices.  Bigger is not always better.  I believe Sony should focus on making their own games but they do not have to go out and spend Billions to do this then pass that cost onto us.  Think about that.  Do we want to be paying $70 plus for games? 

Thanks for the comments Spaz.  A bigger business is not what we gamers want.  We want the best consoles.  Read it again. We want the best consoles.  

Sony needs to focus on that and we will all enjoy ourselves.  There will be plenty of games to play.