HDMI Cable

Jaded_Leviathan

21 minutes ago, Jaded_Leviathan said:

Does anyone know if Sony have stated that the HDMI cable supplied with the PS5 is HDMI 2.1 or do i have to buy a HDMI 2.1 cable seperately?

That's actually a good question.. 

In my opinion.. they are not, to make the cost low. 

Plus I always buy monoprice hdmi cables for all my new electronics.

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

10 minutes ago, Helyx said:

It comes with an HDMI cable. Come on, people.

Nobody is implying it doesn't.  The question is if it will be 2.0 or 2.1.  2.1 is needed for 120 FPS 4K gaming.  Those old pictures that were showing the measurements had a 2.0 cable though so seems like it won't come with a 2.1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hayabusa85 said:

Nobody is implying it doesn't.  The question is if it will be 2.0 or 2.1.  2.1 is needed for 120 FPS 4K gaming.  Those old pictures that were showing the measurements had a 2.0 cable though so seems like it won't come with a 2.1.

Would it even be cost effective to include a 2.1 cable when most people won't even have a 120hz television?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Would it even be cost effective to include a 2.1 cable when most people won't even have a 120hz television?

2.1 cables don't seem to cost more than 2.0 cables so I'm not sure it would add much to the cost but yeah it is a niche market so if it does add cost then not worth it.  I already bought 2.1 cables in preparation expecting it to not have it so I'm good to go.  Although I'm not sure I really needed it since even though my TV can do it I am the type that prefers the better visual modes over better framerate modes.  

Just now, Hayabusa85 said:

2.1 cables don't seem to cost more than 2.0 cables so I'm not sure it would add much to the cost but yeah it is a niche market so if it does add cost then not worth it.  I already bought 2.1 cables in preparation expecting it to not have it so I'm good to go.  Although I'm not sure I really needed it since even though my TV can do it I am the type that prefers the better visual modes over better framerate modes.  

When it comes down to it, with millions of consoles, even a few dollars, or even 50 cent difference can add up to millions of dollars. 

• Like 1

If they do, it's going to be what they did with the PS3. 

They shipped the PS3 with a composite cable instead of a HDMI cable. Not until later in the PS3's life did they add a HDMI cable. 

This time around, they're going to do the same thing. Ship it with a standard HDMI cable and later they'll ship the PS5 with a HDMI 2.1 

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

Whilst almost entirely pointless due to both the lack of 120hz tv adoption and the inability of the consoles to run at 4K HDR and 120fps on all but the most basic of games, it would be bad PR if they didn’t. So depends if they are acting logically or focused on how to avoid bad press. Given how they have handled the ps5 release I’d say they aren’t too bothered about bad PR, so I suspect it won’t have 2.1 in the box.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

If the PS5 doesn't ship with four controllers, gold-plated 16K cables, a spare console, an 8TB SSD storage expansion, a full 3D audio surround system, every game free for life, a signed photograph of John Bubniak, actual physical trophies for each one I earn and a 4K 120Hz TV then that would be terrible PR and so anti-consumer and I'll switch to Xbox

Seriously folks, you're reaching for stuff to whine about at this point- the supplied cables will be sufficient, but as the more level-headed responses have stated, not everyone owns a 4K 120hz TV and if you do then you likely already have a cable or two that takes advantage of everything the TV has to offer.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 2