Payback Platinum

JamesConroy_

1 hour ago, groomyboy said:

Get a pair of headphones and a good playlist, the soundtrack and voice acting is awful lol. Apart from that it's a fun and super easy platinum

Agreed. I had music on all the time. Honestly don’t have a clue what the characters sound like or what the games about. 

The speed zones and stuff will be a struggle due to the in game traffic and the fact that they don’t ghost when doing an activity. Otherwise a fairly easy game

just play the game as needed and attempt some of the zones on the way and collect whatever you pass. Most trophies will just unlock as you play 

• Like 1

I'm a few trophies from the platinum. Overall, a pretty standard Need for Speed I think. Can be fun to stitch together decent drift patterns or shunt your opponent into oncoming traffic. 

I got the three stars in all events trophy. Bit of a grind for all of those! Level 50 came quick enough, especially after all those roaming racers to beat. 

I will agree with previous comments though and agree with the atrocious acting (voice too) and story is er.. yeah just cheese! 

Only tips I'd say is1. Never quit if you think you've lost - my opponent got wedged between a pole and a barrier so I could win easily after I lost most of my hope.  2. Keep upgrading main cars to max level, then try the hardest events again and it should be significantly easier. My Fairlady drift is so good at max level and most of the awkward drift events were a breeze after maxing. 3. Do speed traps with a max Regara (however it's spelled) when you can afford to. There were only a handful that were tricky. 4. Collect chips when you see them in open world. The amount of times I saw one and just carried on driving to my destination.. well, theres 100 and that's one of my only remaining trophies and I think I've collected 25 total! 

• Like 2

Got the platinum yesterday. It’s just as difficult, if not a tiny bit more difficult than Need For Speed Heat, a game I thought was pretty decent but now I’ve decided to praise it more based on my experience with Payback.

I lacked comprehension throughout the story, the ending made me question the whole point of Tyler, Mac and Jess wanting taking down The House in the first place. Based off the game’s title it’s got to do with revenge or something? Fuck do I know.

After this and a number of misc. trophies I had to focus on all the activities, collectables and roaming racers before getting the platinum.

The activities here aren’t difficult, but there were a few Speed Runs and Drift Zones made difficult because of traffic. Speed Traps and Jumps aren’t that challenging at all with the right vehicle.

As for the collectables, I found it weird how fewer billboards there are in Fortune Valley compared to Palm City (Heat), Fairhaven (Most Wanted 2012) and even Paradise City from Burnout Paradise. None are hard but then there’s the Gambler’s Chips. Why do you have to actually touch them to collect? This made it incredibly frustrating for those that in the air and require the right speed before jumping and to face right at it. These are by far the worst NFS collectables of this generation.

Then there’s the roaming racers, there really isn’t much to say about these.

I’ve mentioned previously in a another topic how disappointing the licensed soundtrack is for this game. Again but in short, IMO all but one tracks I found were good except for one - ‘Ascension’ by Gorillaz ft. Vince Staples. That’s quite the compliment considering the album/record this track is from, ‘Humanz’, is the weakest in the band’s discography but personally I don’t mind it (of course this does not include The Fall, which is more or less a Damon Albarn solo effort with Gorillaz/2D slapped on the title and cover art). Anyway back to the topic, just the one track was never enough for me to not have to turn down the music settings in favour of my USB drive with hundreds, if not thousands of MP3 files with musical content I cared about. Keep this up EA and eventually you’ll find no reason to license tracks for NFS at all, just force all your players to subscribe to Spotify Premium why not?

TL;DR: The licensed soundtrack and narrative/story writing are the top two biggest failures with this game, everything else about it is ok.

Edited by PMV
  • Like 3

The 3 recent NFS games I used X to skip cutscenes and set Speech Volume to 0. I've never really paid attention to the story in any NFS game. Replayed Carbon on PS2 this year, couldn't tell you anything story related.

2015, Payback, and Heat are good arcade racers though. Bring your own music and race. Bump it up to Medium/Hard if you like the thrill of winning by half a second.

IMO, racers don't need a story mode to be decent/good.

Tip: Do Speed Runs/Drift Zones at night. Less traffic.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PepsiMaxVanilla said:

The activities here aren’t difficult, but there were a few Speed Runs and Drift Zones made difficult because of traffic. Speed Traps and Jumps aren’t that challenging at all with the right vehicle.

For my part, i found the activities really hard. But i was doing those during the day at the beginning. 

What i found less time consuming is to run the speed traps, speed runs and drift during the night, and during the day i would get collectibles, race roaming racers and do other stuff.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, carter12008 said:

so payback is awful but yet doing multiple versions of the same game is fun. Seems like you didnt like it as i was not noticing racers on your list.

I never said that stacking is fun. ? You might want to take a closer look again. I'm pretty sure you'll find some (Driveclub, NfS Rival, FlatOut 4, Gravel...).

• Like 1

I've been playing this game and it's pretty good. Haven't reached the ending yet, the difficulty spike at the end caught me off guard. The music is pretty good. The voice acting is one of the weirdest I've experienced in a long time. I'm playing it in spanish, so there's a mix of spanish from Spain for almost everything and spanish from Latinamerica with some people like La Catrina and Gallo. I really don't like much when games use the speaker in the DualShock 4 but this time with the police radio, it was a nice touch. But I deactivated it later, it was hard to hear everything with that turned on. The conversations between characters were always funny. I don't know how it sound in english but Mac saying "EMOSIDO ENGAÑADO" was priceless.

Nice UFO easter egg.

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, AvengedEvil said:

Don't start this game!

Could not agree more, such a terrible game, awful controls, feels sluggish, gambling like mechanics with the cards...

Admittedly, I was having a good time until about 10 hours in, just playing through the story (awful by the way), it was easy enough that I could just enjoy the Most Wanted vibes without diving too deep. But when the difficulty kicks in for the later half of the trophies, it just ruins it and becomes unbearably frustrating, specially the 3 star challenges, drifts in particular, but all the others and collectibles/random racers are just as crappy.

To be fair, if i didn't care about trophies, I would have had a good 10 to 15 hours out of a PS Plus game and be happy with it, but when you engage deeply with the core mechanics, the flaws just take center stage, the whole thing becomes an exercise in enduring many types of frustrations (sluggish controls, long load times, boring backtracking, traffic getting in the way causing many boring retries of challenges, having to fast travel to some place else just to get rid of crashed cars on the middle of the road making the challenge impossible, again crappy loading times, unabalanced difficulty). No game has been uninstalled as fast as this one after a platinum.

The most frustrating bit is how the same car handles differently in different situations. At first i thought I was going mad, but turns out the cars really handles differently depending on the event.

Anyway, for tips, here is what I have to say:

All challenges: consider joining the online hangout multiplayer. There is less traffic. For the non offroad drift challenges, I'd say this is practically mandatory, very frustrating otherwise. It still has traffic and can be very frustrating, it's just a bit better. 

Wanderer drivers: most are easy, some are very difficult, you just have to get lucky (frustrating I know). Huracan works best on the race ones, but have to get lucky and hope that the opponent to get stuck somewhere.

Drift: Most difficult by far for me, Aventador stock and Nissan Fairlady derelict (with upper level catchup pack for the cards) worked best for me. Most videos out there feature a Huracan on the challenges, but while most are on the easier side, some proved impossible with a fully maxed out 6x same brand cars Huracan. If I had to pick one car, it would be the Fairlady. Don't be afraid to mess around with the  live tuning, though that is not necessary for 95% of the challenges.

Jump: Many jumps are frustrating, but there is one in particular that is borderline impossible. The one where you have to come through traffic to narrowly race between guardrails and hit the ramp at an angle. I tried many cars, most guides use a Porsche, i tried it after maxing it out, I tried maxed offroad cars as well, but maxed out race Huracan in multiplayer hangout to minimize traffic is what worked for me.

Collectibles: follow a guide and prepare for frustation as you jump around with the sluggish controls and bactrack a long way to try again as you miss the chip by a milimeter , and how impossible the cars are to keep straight as you accelerate from a full stop. 

• Like 1

I can confirm the same, started playing for the first time on Thursday and none have been available so far.

Now with the story complete it won’t take me long to get the other trophies.

With no daily challenges there this is going to become a plat stopper but says coming soon. 

Will this ever come back online, I loaded NFS 2015 up and the daily challenges are there just like they are on NFS Heat. Seems to be just affecting Payback but online multiplayer still functions.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:46 AM, AvengedEvil said:

Don't start this game!

Agreed, just for different reasons.

Daily Challenges seem to have disappeared and we have no word on if they will come back so unless you are fine with not being able to platinum the game, DON'T START

• Like 1