Are there any genres of gaming you won't play?

LancashireLad87

7 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Resident evil 4 isn't survival or horror. It's an action shooter. It's also responsible for 5 and 6 which very nearly killed the series

That wasn't a hard bar to pass through.

It started selling well when the Wii came out and the sudden influx of casual gamers adopted it.

With resi evil 6 capcom was just giving all the fans of 4 more of what they wanted. More over the top action. More things to shoot. More stupid game. Those same people hated 6. You can't rely on the casual market. Capcom have learnt that and gone back to a more survival horror route. Nintendo also learnt that with the Wii u.

😂

I don't even like Resident Evil 4 - I never really did...

...but this is some straight nonsense retconning you're spitting. 

It was a hugely well received and hot-selling game on the Gamecube. It scored well into the mid nineties in most critical outlet scales, and had sold upwards of 3 million copies between the Gamecube and PS2 by the end of 2005... almost a year before the Wii was even launched.

One could certainly argue that it set the direction that eventually led to disaster with RE6.... but that's hardly a knock against it, since by that same logic, one could argue that Final Fantasy X was a bad game, because it set the direction that would eventually lead to FFXV.

Whether it was appealing to "casuals" (that dumb phrase) is debatable - certainly it pulled in new people that weren't part of the audience for the earlier games (as it kind of had to, otherwise it wouldn't be the success it was)...

...but regardless, it is considered by many fans of the whole series to be a high point, so clearly it's not a "casuals" vs "real gamers" thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

😂

I don't even like Resident Evil 4 - I never really did...

...but this is some straight nonsense retconning you're spitting. 

It was a hugely well received and hot-selling game on the Gamecube. It scored well into the mid nineties in most critical outlet scales, and had sold upwards of 3 million copies between the Gamecube and PS2 by the end of 2005... almost a year before the Wii was even launched.

One could certainly argue that it set the direction that eventually led to disaster with RE6.... but that's hardly a knock against it, since by that same logic, one could argue that Final Fantasy X was a bad game, because it set the direction that would eventually lead to FFXV.

Whether it was appealing to "casuals" (that dumb phrase) is debatable - certainly it pulled in new people that weren't part of the audience for the earlier games (as it kind of had to, otherwise it wouldn't be the success it was)...

...but regardless, it is considered by many fans of the whole series to be a high point, so clearly it's not a "casuals" vs "real gamers" thing.

First I'm only talking about around me and the store I worked in. Yes it reviewed great. It was really hyped up too. Everyone got caught up in the hype. But it didn't sell after that first week. You do realise it's not even in the top 5 sellers in the series yes? Surprising since it's been rereleased so many times and is the "best" game ever

Also people see the word casuals as an insult. It's not. I see myself as a casual gamer. What I mean by casual is that they tend not to have brand loyalty. They play what's fun. They played 4 enjoyed it and didn't see interested in anymore.

Resi evil 4 did a lot for gaming but as a Resident evil game it's bad.

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Everyone I knew had a pc. We were too busy playing Lan and online with doom and quake to really care. It's definitely overrated. It's not even the best bond game. It's up there but it's not the best.

Ah yes the modern day "it doesn't mean that much to me, so it's overrated" version of overrated. Things aren't over or underrated just because it doesn't fit YOUR agenda. That's not how it works and the internet really needs to learn to stop misusing these words the way they do. It's fine that you were a PC player at the time, that's cool...but that doesn't make Goldeneye any less important to gaming just because you weren't playing it at the time, nor does it make it overrated just because your little world decided to not pay any attention to it. 

31 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

First I'm only talking about around me and the store I worked in. Yes it reviewed great. It was really hyped up too. Everyone got caught up in the hype. But it didn't sell after that first week. You do realise it's not even in the top 5 sellers in the series yes? Surprising since it's been rereleased so many times and is the "best" game ever

It is, however, one of the highest selling Gamecube games of all time - joint 16th place across the entire run of the console.

That is, certainly, a smaller group than on many other consoles, but within the parameters of that consoles smaller user-base, it had very healthy popularity.

...and while it may be one of the lower selling games within the franchise - (I'm assuming the data you're referring to is this, from Statistica)...

...I'd argue it's a little misleading, given that it is one of the fastest of those games to be re-released under a different entry. (the 2016 one).

I'd also point out that citing that data as an argument as to it's quality sort of undercuts your other point... 

that only "casuals" accounted for its sales, and that they didn't stick with the series later...

...since the two games you refer to as it leading to, and having "nearly killed the series" (RE5 and RE6) are 3rd and 4th place on that same list - having sales much higher than RE4.

Sales of franchise games are generally driven by the reception of the previous entry, not the current one...

....unless the new entry is something significantly different or exceptional and noteworthy in terms of change.

RE6 arguably did nearly kill the franchise...

...but that's because it was bad. It still sold very well - largely based on the previous two games being well received and people still wanting to check it out despite negative criticism.

Capcom clearly understood that too - that despite it's strong sales, RE6's absolute cratering of the acclaim the series had previously enjoyed would hurt sales on a new entry significantly, unless they did something serious to change it up...

...which in the end, was a good thing, because the change they did led to RE7 - one of,  (or in my opinion, the,) best game in the franchise.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

44 minutes ago, Viper said:

Ah yes the modern day "it doesn't mean that much to me, so it's overrated" version of overrated. Things aren't over or underrated just because it doesn't fit YOUR agenda. That's not how it works and the internet really needs to learn to stop misusing these words the way they do. It's fine that you were a PC player at the time, that's cool...but that doesn't make Goldeneye any less important to gaming just because you weren't playing it at the time, nor does it make it overrated just because your little world decided to not pay any attention to it. 

I did play it. I had it day one on N64. I've great memories of laughing with my cousin as we hid in the vent shooting that one guards helmet off that was sat on the bog.

I just don't see why golden eye is so highly thought of. I mean perfect dark was released in that same generation and is better in every way (unless you're a die hard bond fan) yet that game doesn't receive half the praise that goldeneye does

30 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It is, however, one of the highest selling Gamecube games of all time - joint 16th place across the entire run of the console.

That is, certainly, a smaller group than on many other consoles, but within the parameters of that consoles smaller user-base, it had very healthy popularity.

...and while it may be one of the lower selling games within the franchise - (I'm assuming the data you're referring to is this, from Statistica)...

...I'd argue it's a little misleading, given that it is one of the fastest of those games to be re-released under a different entry. (the 2016 one).

I'd also point out that citing that data as an argument as to it's quality sort of undercuts your other point... 

that only "casuals" accounted for its sales, and that they didn't stick with the series later...

...since the two games you refer to as it leading to, and having "nearly killed the series" (RE5 and RE6) are 3rd and 4th place on that same list - having sales much higher than RE4.

Sales of franchise games are generally driven by the reception of the previous entry, not the current one...

....unless the new entry is something significantly different or exceptional and noteworthy in terms of change.

RE6 arguably did nearly kill the franchise...

...but that's because it was bad. It still sold very well - largely based on the previous two games being well received and people still wanting to check it out despite negative criticism.

Capcom clearly understood that too - that despite it's strong sales, RE6's absolute cratering of the acclaim the series had previously enjoyed would hurt sales on a new entry significantly, unless they did something serious to change it up...

...which in the end, was a good thing, because the change they did led to RE7 - one of,  (or in my opinion, the,) best game in the franchise.

Nope. Capcom released their 10 top selling games. Resident evil 4 wasn't on that list. I figured that would be the most accurate as it's coming from the developers of the games.

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. That's what is making people love these two games. Give it another few years and we'll have people on here that will fight you to the death if you try and tell them that the Wii and Wii Sports arent the best console and game ever made. 

I mean my top 10 games of all time are all based in nostalgia. If you've no attachment to those games then you'll not understand why I love them. It doesn't mean that they are amazing games though just because I love them

Edited by RedDevil757

8 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

I did play it. I had it day one on N64. I've great memories of laughing with my cousin as we hid in the vent shooting that one guards helmet off that was sat on the big.

I just don't see why golden eye is so highly thought of. I mean perfect dark was released in that same generation and is better in every way (unless you're a die hard bond fan) yet that game doesn't receive half the praise that goldeneye does

Because no matter how good Perfect Dark was, it'll always be the overly derivative entry. It took the whole skeletal structure of Goldeneye, put a different coat of paint on it and had hindsight on its side to make the improvements Goldeneye couldn't. But the one area is could never touch...is how it made people feel. Some games just have this intangible quality that can't really be defined, when everything comes together just right to create that experience that lives on forever...to make Goldeneye the legend it is today. Nostalgia isn't supposed to be a negative thing...it exists because so many people remember this feeling they got and they chase that with every game since, and other games don't get the same level of praise because that same feeling hasn't been met. It doesn't make something overrated...it puts it exactly where it should be in the annals of history. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

it puts it exactly where it should be in the annals of history. 

For you and others that have that nostalgic attachment yes but it's more about reliving those memories and connecting with your childhood than it being a actually great game.

My favourite game for example is a game I'm sure 99% of people on here have never heard of. It's magicland dizzy. I'm sure people will look at it and think that looks like total crap. But it makes me feel 6 again and I love it. I can admit that it's not the best game ever made though just because I've got an attachment to it.

Same with shenmue. It was my first game that felt alive. I adore that game. Ask someone to play it that wasn't at least a teen in the late 90s to play it though and they'll say it's a clunky boring piece of crap that's overrated

2 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

For you and others that have that nostalgic attachment yes but it's more about reliving those memories and connecting with your childhood than it being a actually great game.

My favourite game for example is a game I'm sure 99% of people on here have never heard of. It's magicland dizzy. I'm sure people will look at it and think that looks like total crap. But it makes me feel 6 again and I love it. I can admit that it's not the best game ever made though just because I've got an attachment to it.

Same with shenmue. It was my first game that felt alive. I adore that game. Ask someone to play it that wasn't at least a teen in the late 90s to play it though and they'll say it's a clunky boring piece of crap that's overrated

I want to relive those memories BECAUSE it was such a great game. It's highly praised BECAUSE it was such a great game. I don't pop it into my N64 now and say "well damn this sucks balls, but boy do I feel good about it", I don't still enjoy it because of the way it USED to make me feel, I still enjoy it because it's still THAT GOOD! Playing it now and being able to enjoy it only validates how I felt about it back in the day. No one is calling Goldeneye the "best game ever made", but to sit here and act like it doesn't deserve all it's praise just because YOU don't think it deserves it, is asinine. 

I played the PS4 versions of Shenmue I and II a couple years ago, got the Plats in them...they're definitely dated by todays standards, but I enjoyed them enough to purchase Shenmue III right afterwards (haven't played it yet though). While I wasn't completely wowed by them, I perfectly understood why they got the praise they did at the time...there's nothing overrated about them. 

It's the whole basis of my point. The internet is so selfish and shallow with how they view something as being over or underrated, it's only based on how it fits their narrative...you don't like something as much as most people, it's overrated. You don't think this thing you love gets enough praise, it's underrated. That's not how it works...it's never how its worked. 

• 5 months later...