Are there any genres of gaming you won't play?

LancashireLad87

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Basically same topic as the other…

Avoid JRPG/RPG, Fantasy, Fighting Simulation, Strategy, Stealth, Survival, Kiddie to name a few.  Some Adventure games I’m starting to get weary of.  They look ok in the surface but the gameplay is very boring/tedious.

My favorite genres are Sports, Action-Adventure, Racing, Trivia, and a little bit of First-Person Shooter.

Ah yes, turn-based combat is another to add to the list to avoid like the plague.

There are definitely a few things you’ll never see me play such as golf or football/soccer to name a few sports. Also not a huge fan of poker or gambling style games. I can manage if it’s like a mini game

within a game but if I don’t have to play it, I simply won’t. Other than that I’d have to say that turn based, strategy is also the least favourite.

I used to enjoy RTS games, recently I've tried AOE2 and 4... Well, that got boring pretty quickly. 

Turns out rhythm games are not for me, mostly because of the rhythmic part - it just makes everything feel the same. Even stuff like Hi Fi Rush, great game, my whole body moves with the music, but after the initial, well, rush it's just... I'm pressing buttons to the rhythm, what's so fun about it in the long run? The game is really great, I can appreciate that, but yeah, the genre is just not for me. 

Also, sports games. I sometimes get in a mood for one, like every few years I wanna play a Fifa game, then the desire quickly dies out once I actually start playing. 

FMV games, this is actually the only genre I haven't played, unless you count half an hour of the X-Files PS One game. I love a good story, I could watch these games in a movie or a TV show format. But the moment I start holding a controller in my hands, something clicks in my brain and the less gameplay there is, the more bored I am. It's partially true with games like Life is Strange too - Ioved the first one's story, replayed it even despite the boredom, but I really wish they'd include a "TV show" mode where all the "gameplay" is skipped and you get the important story stuff, with the occasional button press when a decision needs to be made. 

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

The most overrated game ever that. 

Said no one ever.

Never say never, I don't actively say "the game is this genre so I refuse to play it"...but genres I tend to very rarely play are RTS, MMO, Sports (except Wrestling), Online Multiplayer-centric FPS, Survival Horror (I have plans to play Resident Evil 2 Remake for Halloween though so this one might change). 

• Like 1

Nope

ive basically about tried it all

indies, AAA block busters, shovelware garbage

sports games, puzzle games, first person shooters, racers, (a)rpgs, strategy games, sand box games, visual novels you name it!

not much with horror games cuz nothing really appeals to me but ill literally play anything

..for trophies or without, i play nintendo switch alot and theres no fear of, oh i gota attempt this trophy because there is none! Lol

my psn account doesnt limit me to my gaming

I wouldn't say there would be a subgenre or genre I'm unwilling to play, but there are tons that barely interest me.

Sports: I usually don't give a darn about sports games, but specifically I don't think I've ever played American Football games. Those in particular I don't care to try

Most FPS games, especially if there's no campaign.

Tetris and Tetris-like puzzle games: I'm sure I'll try some again, but I've had no fun with them and suck at them.

Most RTS games, no patience

Most traditional fighting games: Too reliant on combos.

Most life and city planning games like Sims

I'm not sure that there are certain genres that I would categorically NEVER play, but there are some that I'm extremely unlikely to ever play:

Sports - I have no interest in real-life sports, so equally I have no interest in sports games.

MMOs - I did play DCUO on PS3, but other than that, I don't think I'll be playing any more.  They're too time consuming, and you have to rely on other players at all times.

Souls-like - I'm not generally a fan of games that are punishingly difficult just for the sake of it.

Battle Royale - stuff like Fortnite just doesn't appeal to me.  My brothers play it, and I have tried it briefly, but I just don't see the appeal.

I've found myself branching out and becoming willing to try more genres with recent PSN sales, but I don't think I'll ever touch shmups (too hectic), crafting survival sims (too tense and RNG-based), city management sims (I can see the appeal but it would still wrack my nerves), or visual novels (too easy).

I like games too much, so I pretty much play everything I can get my hands on. However, I do have two main accounts that I use frequently. One for trophy hunting and getting 100% trophies on games I start on that account.  The other account is for gaming in general without worrying about trophies. In a way yes there are a few that I’ll avoid starting on my main. But not really as I play everything I can get. 

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Said no one ever.

It's a semi recent thing. Noone I knew thought it was anything special when it came out. They, like everyone else think it's the best game ever now. Maybe it's because I was a PC gamer at the time and it was very meh compared to those. It's also aged like milk.

Same goes for Resi evil 4. I worked in game store when it came out and we couldn't shift them. We had so many traded in too. Now everyone talks like it's amazing.

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. 

1 hour ago, StewartBros said:

MMOs - I did play DCUO on PS3, but other than that, I don't think I'll be playing any more.  They're too time consuming, and you have to rely on other players at all times.

While my experience with MMOs is limited. I can say that's not true with the ones I've played. On PlayStation side. I didn't interact with a single person during my Star Trek online plat. With ff14 I bet I've put in over 100 hours and not played with others at all. Champions online on Steam is the same. I bet I put in over 1000 hours on that (it has over 700 achievements lol) and that was all solo.

I think people think all MMOs are Warcraft where you have to join guilds and do raids via voice chat. That's not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's a semi recent thing. Noone I knew thought it was anything special when it came out. They, like everyone else think it's the best game ever now. Maybe it's because I was a PC gamer at the time and it was very meh compared to those. It's also aged like milk.

Same goes for Resi evil 4. I worked in game store when it came out and we couldn't shift them. We had so many traded in too. Now everyone talks like it's amazing.

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. 

We had very different experiences. Goldeneye was the game to play back in the day with everyone I knew...the single player campaign was incredible, or have 3 friends over (or in my case, 2 friends and my little brother) and have a blast with it. And me personally, I still played it on an emulator for years after that and now that I have an actual N64 again, I still pop it in from time to time. The controls leave a bit to be desired by today's standards, but they don't take that long to get used to again, and once you do the game is still as fun as it's always been to play. There's absolutely nothing overrated about it...it deserves every bit of praise it's ever received. It's a Legend in video games and deserves that status. 

As for RE4, I don't have a personal attachment to it, never really got into Resident Evil (I'm possibly going to play RE2 Remake for Halloween and see how that goes). But I can safely say we still had different experiences. In my late teens/early 20's I did a lot of moving around living with different friends. And nearly every one of them I lived with would be playing RE4 and wouldn't shut up about it. Part of the reason I never got into it myself was because of how much I just watched other people play it and got kind of tired of it. So I definitely saw the praise it was getting at the time it was new and the "in" game to play, and never really saw that falter over the years. 

9 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

What are you talking about? The game was hailed as a revolution when it originally came out and banked 9/10 to 10/10 reviews across the board. It single-handedly revived the survival horror genre when that was mostly thought of as a relic from the PS1 era. Only issue was it was a bit of an odd one out in the Gamecube library. And it still  managed to become the second-best selling non-Nintendo title on the system (after Sonic Adventures 2).

Sports games - Let's be honest here, These are for Casuals mostly though I do get a kick out of local multiplayer with NBA games

Visual Novels - I have books

Super Hero games - Like whatever, Judge dredd maybe but the American stuff is games for consumers in my opinion. The sales of Spiderman for the PS5 was through the roof but what else did we have? It's become a very popular story though and has evolved I guess so it is valid but not my choice.

8Bit / Indie games in general - Sure there are some good ones but way more shit ones to spend time on

The thread that may annoy people but It's logical to think we have different tastes and I by no means want to bash anyone ,, unless you like sports lol

3 hours ago, shadaik said:

It single-handedly revived the survival horror genre

Resident evil 4 isn't survival or horror. It's an action shooter. It's also responsible for 5 and 6 which very nearly killed the series

3 hours ago, shadaik said:

it still  managed to become the second-best selling non-Nintendo title on the system (after Sonic Adventures 2).

That wasn't a hard bar to pass through.

It started selling well when the Wii came out and the sudden influx of casual gamers adopted it.

With resi evil 6 capcom was just giving all the fans of 4 more of what they wanted. More over the top action. More things to shoot. More stupid game. Those same people hated 6. You can't rely on the casual market. Capcom have learnt that and gone back to a more survival horror route. Nintendo also learnt that with the Wii u.

11 hours ago, Viper said:

We had very different experiences. Goldeneye was the game to play back in the day with everyone I knew...

Everyone I knew had a pc. We were too busy playing Lan and online with doom and quake to really care. It's definitely overrated. It's not even the best bond game. It's up there but it's not the best.