My review of the game and Platinum - "Keep your expectations low and you'll still be dissapointed"

coolwali

I agree with the combat part the combat was shit in the new one I prefer the combat from the old games besides ascension because that game is a big old shit but I wouldn’t say the story is mediocre and boring I like the kratos in this game more then the other games.I just hope you had more fun with this game then ascension.

also who else was hype when kratos took the blades of chaos out.

• Like 2

I agree to most negative points written. Mostly that GoW 2018 tries to copy TLOU with the Father-Son relationship and that the combat felt weird with the camera so close besides Kratos. Atreus often shouted "behind you" to notify me of enemies (attacks) i couldn't see. The story itself is good and i like it but why does Kratos and Atreus start like they haven't seen themselves at all?

I was excited to play this but got disappointed. I think i don't start the next GoW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I agree to most negative points written. Mostly that GoW 2018 tries to copy TLOU with the Father-Son relationship and that the combat felt weird with the camera so close besides Kratos. Atreus often shouted "behind you" to notify me of enemies (attacks) i couldn't see. The story itself is good and i like it but why does Kratos and Atreus start like they haven't seen themselves at all?

I was excited to play this but got disappointed. I think i don't start the next GoW.

Besides the annoying camera issue, would it be a better game then to someone who hasn't played TLOU and has no comparison to that game to judge from?

@DaivRules

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

would it be a better game then to someone who hasn't played TLOU and has no comparison to that game to judge from?

Yes. If you haven't seen other games do something better then even the bad game would seem better than it is. And You can say that about any game though.

Fallout 76 would feel a lot more mindblowing to more people if they hadn't played a multiplayer looter shooter game before. But between games like Borderlands and Destiny, it fails to make a mark

1 hour ago, coolwali said:

If you haven't seen other games do something better then even the bad game would seem better than it is.

Does any other game doing something better make a game bad then? Doesn't seem like it so I don't see why there's any reason to get hung up on it and not appreciate a game for what it is.

• Like 1

Why someone disliking a game so much would platinum it and write a wall of text about it lol
For me the only problem was the difficulty - there's no trophy for the hardest one and you can't turn it down, and on itself it doesn't add tactical thinking since there's no space for it, so you just forced to repetatively push through overpowered rednecks. Parrying doesn't give a window to counter attack, fists and stun meter are useless, it's impossible to fill it when there's more than 1 enemy, throwing axe freezes enemies for like 7(?) seconds, and does it randomly. Did any of this worked for anyone? I was just rolling around spam throwing axe, since anything else will more likely get you stunned/open.

• Like 4

@DaivRules

18 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Does any other game doing something better make a game bad then? Doesn't seem like it so I don't see why there's any reason to get hung up on it and not appreciate a game for what it is.

I bring this up in my original post.

That it's not about copying from other games, it's about doing a decent job with what you copy and GOW4 fails this. It takes climbing from Uncharted because Uncharted had climbing not because GOW4 needed it, and makes a shallower version so playing it after playing Uncharted feels like downgrade. It takes RPG systems from other games because other games had RPGs and they were popular but makes an RPG system where 90% of the gear and materials are useless and your levels trumps your stats which destroys making a decent build. It feels worse than even most ok RPGs. It makes itself look like TLOU in camera and movement and structure forgetting that TLOU was a 3rd person shooter and more realistic so GOW4's combat and explorations suffers. It goes semi-open world because open world games are popular but makes navigation and exploration so boring

So even if I judge the game for what it is, it's still disappointing because it, by its very nature, is a hodgepodge of stuff from other games done poorly rather than a clever or competent mix of other games.

To put this another way, imagine if I instead was writing about another game, let's say Assassin's Creed Syndicate and comparing it to all these other games. No matter what topic, I would never have used GOW4 as a positive example of anything because everything it does is better represented elsewhere. Even GTA, which historically has had worse driving and shooting mechanics than specialized games, still does a decent job of putting all this together.

@Flufius

8 hours ago, Flufius said:

Why someone disliking a game so much would platinum it and write a wall of text about it lol

Because the Platinum was easy. I just had to listen to podcasts while I looked for collectibles. I wrote about it to give my thoughts if I felt they were worthwhile.

8 hours ago, Flufius said:

For me the only problem was the difficulty

"Give me God of War" is a poorly made difficulty. It feels like it was made for the sake of having a super hard mode rather than making a fine tuned challenge for the dedicated. I doubt it was even playtested.

• Like 2

Personally I barely even remember the collectibles, they certainly weren't that annoying to me.

I disliked the game's story as a whole for being much more anti epic than I'd expect from the GoW series, and Kratos was always one of my favorite characters because he's so unredeemable (granted a lot of people hate him for that exact reason) so having him be an older and wiser figure feels wrong, and I don't entirely get how he got from GoW III's ending to where this game starts. If you're going to skip all that establishing business you can probably skip this one as well since it's not very interesting outside of Atreus' side of the story.

That being said Atreus also got annoying really fast, and I don't believe an ancient Greek god wouldn't have backhanded him during any of his fits. My ideal sequels would be one focused on a grown up Atreus (that I can ignore) and one on Kratos (finally) waking up in modern times, possibly taking on Egyptian gods who survived to the present day to form an Illuminati. Possibly have all the gods exist outside of time if you want to be trippy, or bring Christian angels and demons in if you want controversy.

The RPG elements felt like they could have been done away with altogether, just give me ultimate armor and weapons to unlock and I'm happy. I'm not a big fan of min-maxing.

The over the shoulder perspective was an interesting experiment, but I have the same problem as Arkham where I can barely see where I'm going over the protagonists taking up the screen, although at least Arkham pulls out the camera for the combat. None of the fights are that memorable past the first boss showing the benefits of being that close to the action, which no other fight really does. Hopefully the sequels get crazier, I'm not playing a game called God of War for a grounded personal experience.

Ultimately it's not a bad game, but I was a little surprised to see it get so much praise. Made me come in expecting something amazing and what I got was mostly dull. Take out all the stuff connecting it to mythology and the original games at all and you've got a fairly well made game about a father and son going for a hike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coolwali said:

So even if I judge the game for what it is, it's still disappointing because it, by its very nature, is a hodgepodge of stuff from other games done poorly rather than a clever or competent mix of other games.

None of what you said is considering it for what it is, but only looking at it in comparison to other games. I haven't played any of the games you have compared it to (even though I own most of them) so I have no idea what you're really talking about in your comparisons. It doesn't seem like you have been able to explain without doing comparisons, which would be judging it for what it is.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:36 PM, coolwali said:
But there are over 100 collectibles to find and there's a perfect storm of issues to make this very teduous. Now say what you will about Ubisoft's games but at least their collectibles are easily marked and their maps are easy to read. In GOW's case, despite it being semi-open world, the map is terrible to read to pick out routes and where exactly to go

I made it about this far and I have a problem with this take. I imagine a developer (or a marketing executive) reading this and insisting on trivializing the collectables in future games. Do you not have a problem with following waypoints and checking things off a list just for the sake of completion? As someone who loves videogame collectibles, I think GoW strikes a good balance between being obtuse and unfair, and slap-you-in-the-face easy. The game will let you know what you're missing in a general vicinity (some areas can be hard admittedly to pin down how much area they cover. River Pass, Shores of Nine come to mind) but once there, it rewards careful observation and 'leave no stone unturned' mentality. The individual areas aren't especially large, and the game communicates traversable areas with a simple visual language (those yellow symbols) so I never got the hopeless 'needle in a haystack' feeling. This game was such a shift from the original God of War games in many ways, but one way it stayed true to the series was fun, fair, and gratifying collectibles to find. 

On 2020-11-15 at 0:36 PM, UltraFire121 said:

That's WAY to much for me to read this.

@UltraFire121

Here's the quicker summary then:

"In Closing, GOW2018 is a very flawed game, nothing it does is truly unique or special. Normally with these kinds of games, I can see the entertainment someone could have here, but I genuinely do not see what's even good about this game, never mind "game of the decade" worthy. There are countless games that do what GOW2018 tries but better. If you want a slow focused story with a close camera done well; play Hellblade. If you want a story with a father/child relationship done better; play The Last of Us or the Walking Dead Season 1. If you want an open world RPG that actually is a good RPG with a flair for the mythological; play Assassin's Creed Odyessy. If you want a game with an amazing in-depth combat system worth mastering; play Devil May Cry. If you want to play a game with 1 camera take and actually do it; play Portal or Half Life. Now, you may say I am being unfair. "GOW isn't that type of game anymore", to that I ask: "why make a sequel?" Why not just make a new IP or actual reboot then? And even as a new game, the new GOW suffers compared to all these other games I compared it to. Let's say I wrote this piece on a different game. I recently played Assassin's Creed Syndicate and while that game was flawed, if I were comparing that game to others, I would never use GOW2018 as a positive example of anything, and for all of Syndicate's faults, it at least accomplished its objective of making you feel like a badass Assassin in Victorian London. Even the older GOWs accomplished their goals of making the player feel like the God of War. I can't say the same for GOW2018. Even Assassin's Creed Odyessy made me feel more like Kratos than GOW2018. And based on how restrictive GOW2018 is, I feel more like a child than a parent. Which is fitting because this game doesn't seem to think very highly of its players ("The boss health is below the screen")."

On 2020-11-15 at 10:54 AM, Fray32- said:

insisting on trivializing the collectables in future games....This game was such a shift from the original God of War games in many ways, but one way it stayed true to the series was fun, fair, and gratifying collectibles to find. 

@Fray32-

I disagree. All the collectibles in this game are trivial and uninteresting. Sure, the game gives you a general idea of where they are but that doesn't make them great. The game requires a ton of backtracking which can get annoying and frustrating, especially in areas like in the mountain where it can be difficult to tell exactly where you are. Many collectibles are hidden behind the most brain dead of puzzles (throwing an axe to break a thing or move a switch with no further variation or development isn't exactly fun design).

Another issue is the way the levels are laid out. This is most clear on the Lake of Nine but if there's a small island with a cliff on it, you can't tell if you can climb in until you go close and see the yellow markings. This leads to a lot of waffling around and even missing stuff the first time through if you miss the yellow stuff. In most other open world games, it's generally obvious where the player can go so the player doesn't have to look for an arbitrary entry point and can instead look for the things themselves.

Finally, most of the collectibles do nothing. Masks, Toys, Boats etc just give you more Hacksilver, which you'd already be overflowing with anyway. Gear is generally worse than what you already have and it's not worth upgrading stuff you find in the wild. Ravens don't even award anything. The only worthwhile stuff are health and rage upgrades which only comprise a small amount of collectibles. Everything else isn't needed for the platinum.

In the older GOWs, collectibles were often off the side or off the beaten path and required some thinking to find. And they felt better because they didn't eat up so much time or feel like filler to get them. They were also always rewarding because they either gave you an upgrade, extra EXP or something for a new playthrough. It wasn't like GOW2 had "find 40 statues and destroy them for a Gold Star hidden throughout the game"

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 8:28 AM, Evil_Joker88 said:

If you haven't played TLOU then yeah probably. Also if you haven't played any older GoW too.

Couldnt stand TLOU but loved GoW.... Each there own I guess....

On 15/11/2020 at 0:45 AM, Flufius said:

For me the only problem was the difficulty - there's no trophy for the hardest one and you can't turn it down, and on itself it doesn't add tactical thinking since there's no space for it, so you just forced to repetatively push through overpowered rednecks. Parrying doesn't give a window to counter attack, fists and stun meter are useless, it's impossible to fill it when there's more than 1 enemy, throwing axe freezes enemies for like 7(?) seconds, and does it randomly. Did any of this worked for anyone? I was just rolling around spam throwing axe, since anything else will more likely get you stunned/open.

Welcome to PSN Profiles!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smiddy23 said:

Couldnt stand TLOU but loved GoW.... Each there own I guess....

@Smiddy23

Yeah, to each their own.

In my opinion, I found TLOU better than GOW for many reasons. The close camera works there because the game is a 3rd person shooter so the close camera actually helps combat instead of frustrates. Joel's movement being limited works because these are real people in real locations. I can buy a regular dude not being able to climb buildings more than a God not being able to after climbing a sheer cliff or jumping in cutscenes. The lite RPG/crafting systems work because the game is closer to a survival horror game where the limited loot helps instead of being redundant.

And the story works because TLOU doesn't want us to simultaneously know of Joel's past and then ignore it. Everything we learn about Joel is relevant to the story.

• Like 1