Need to buy a PS3 Hard drive

The_Mighty_Ducks

You’re not going to quite get all the speed benefits of an SSD in PS3, but there is no downside to using one.

It will be quieter and your OS will be a bit more responsive. 

Any HD/SSD that is 2.5” sata will do.  500 Gb range is a good value/storage point. 

This one is around $50 typically:

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-500gb/p/N82E16820250087

On 16/11/2020 at 6:25 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

Id go for the
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250088 too like Daiv mentioned but maybe grab the 1TB instead. I don't think the PS3 can go higher than 1TB internal but USB could do up to 2TB.

While it can be used, 2TB are not advised in Playstation 3 since it may not recognise all that space and also may just complete ignore anything past 1TB at any point during it's lifetime, thus making losing access to some files a very scary possibility.

• 1 month later...

Hey, wondering if anyone can help me out please, I’ve had a ps3 for about 2 years, not really used it for games as I have PS4, so it was used for tv apps etc. My kids are at the age now where they understand how to play, so for Christmas I got them some games, the past week it’s froze a few times on different occasions but the last time it froze I turned it off and from now on it won’t find any disc’s when inserted.... read a few post and have done a system restore, still nothing, been reading about the HDD, could this be the problem? Don’t want to mess about with it if not needed? Help please, cheers