Comprehensive list of twin stick and scrolling shooters for PS4 (and Vita and PS3)

cris3f

On 12/15/2020 at 11:31 PM, EqualityEarth said:

Welp, it could be worse! At least they’re not 5 minute platinums. Imagine a trophy guide for any one of them and then it gets some guide of the year award.

Arcade Game Series, however are a different story. 4 of them I think (galaga, pac-man, ms pac-man, dig-dug) and they do have platinums, though (at least the AGS: Galaga I played) it’s more of a “get-PSPlus-for-save-cloud-or-a-USB-in-order-to-platinum-or-else” than anything.

More AGS titles would be nice. I'd like to see Namco bring out some others like Jr. Pac-Man, Galaga '88, Pac-Mania (I love the jumping), and Assault (an overhead view tank game with rotation and scaling effects similar to SNES mode 7 but better).

Jr. Pac-Man plays somewhat like Ms., adding 2-screen wide scrolling mazes and taking away the side tunnels. The bonus items can destroy your energizers if you don't catch them in time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, cris3f said:

Wow large list. I'm avoiding Arcade Archives stuff in this list for now. That doesn't mean they won't be here later, but if so they'll be on a separate list.

Score Rush Extended  seemed difficult to classify, as some others. I don't have it yet, but seems to have a few things besides a shooter that's why it went for the "others" list. 

Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection I had doubts about adding it when I created the list, but reconsidered and it's in the scrolling shooters section. I added Boiling Bolt, but I have it disabled in psprices, have to check out why.

Unless I'm wrong Mahou Daisakusen is JP only.

And Yukinko Daisenpuu I can't find it here, although it's on TrueTrophies... EDIT Found it:

https://psnprofiles.com/100-club/8932-雪ん娘大旋風

Name is partial considering the PS2 name. It will be on the list.

Sorry for the late reply I had no internet most of December, I was coming back to link Yukinko Daisenpuu but I see that's already been sorted. That one looked like quite a hard trophy list with 2P cheese being forbidden that doesn't quite reflect the rarity.

There's one game I've forgotten to mention though: Diadra Empty which I tried once & was absolutely nuts. It's a bit more of the defender/resogun style but with thousands of bullets on screen at once. I got up to the last boss when I played it & could barely tell wtf I was looking at. Seemed like it'd be a good game after unlocking some of the upgrades.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Sorry for the late reply I had no internet most of December, I was coming back to link Yukinko Daisenpuu but I see that's already been sorted. That one looked like quite a hard trophy list with 2P cheese being forbidden that doesn't quite reflect the rarity.

There's one game I've forgotten to mention though: Diadra Empty which I tried once & was absolutely nuts. It's a bit more of the defender/resogun style but with thousands of bullets on screen at once. I got up to the last boss when I played it & could barely tell wtf I was looking at. Seemed like it'd be a good game after unlocking some of the upgrades.

Nice find the Diadra Empty shooter. Not available in Europe. I've added it to the list, along with a few others I found myself, I'll update it shortly.

A few things I got from this list:

- the PS3 has, amazingly, dreadful small numbers of shooters, even considering the 3 sections. Frankly I was expecting a lot more, but I had my first PS3 long after the PS4 was launched so I wasn't aware of what was available for it. A disappointment, I really was expecting a lot more, considering that, like someone mentioned, the xBox 360 had quite a few.

- the Vita has no original game in the twin stick shooters, 2 in the scrolling (TxK and Gravity Crash Ultra, and even considering this one original is a stretch) and 1 in the others (Son of Scoregasm). I know the Vita had issues with action games, but this is awful and just shows how neglected the console was (look at the Switch...). Even so there are a few really well made ports on the Vita (Geometry Wars and Dead Nation, I can vouch for these)

• Like 2

I always try to be positive about games, specially if they were done by a single person, or a really small studio, but sometimes people do strain things to the limit.

I stumbled today into a shooter that I never had even heard of, Mastercube, and just laughed my ass at the only video review of the PS4 version I found. Then I read the forums of the game here, and saw the trophy list. I really can't understand how Sony allows some crap to be sold. And people complain about some stuff on Steam.

I was making fun of Gunducky Industries (which is on sale again, appeared on the previous sale) previously but this one seems to be even worse. Some sellers seem to be delusional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, Void said:

are you counting delisted games too? If so then there was Voltron on PS3 forgot when it got delisted.

Voltron amazingly still can be bought on Euro PSN. I was checking all PS3 games to see which ones had demos, and the demo is still available there. Once downloaded the full game can be bought from within it, for a very reasonable €1.99 (not much more than 2US$). Even the DLC is available too for €0.49, but it does not have trophies and doesn't appeal to me (more crappy survival like Dead Nation).

This was already mentioned here in Voltron's forum, but I had not seen it.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's hope this isn't a mess and / or a disappointment. After 3 rounds of backing, more than 1.2 million US$, delays since 2019 and just 3 months to go, if all they have to show is mostly customizations I'm having a bad feeling.

They've promised for ages "Aiming for the State-of-the-Art, the Best Shoot'em Up Ever", but without gameplay this is nothing. Perhaps a new No Mans Sky, but at least that one has been redeemed beyond all wildest expectations, all that can be hoped is that these guys do the same if it's the case.

And on another topic, pity that Revolver360 never made it to the PS4.

And check Prismatic Solid, a unique SHMUP with real 3D models (I don't remember any other),made by a single guy.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, darkjian92 said:

Could probably add Atomine to this list - it’s a combination twin stick/rouge-like/lite (i don’t remember which is right for Rogue). Enjoyable game, and some very cryptic trophies to boot.

Had it on my watch list, but somehow missed it. Will be added.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Has anyone tried Zotrix? I grabbed it in a PSN sale at some point for less than $2 and I’m wondering if it’s worth checking out. The trophies look like a bit of a pain in the ass with a lot of glitches and such, but gameplay looks pretty decent if you’re into retros.

I have it but not played it yet.

It would be nice if people would recommend really good games from this list that will vanish with the Vita and PS3 slaughter.

I missed WarHammer 40000 Kill Team, because it was delisted in the end of 2020.

Still thinking on Lara Croft and Light, Renegade Ops and Gravity Crash Ultra (unobtainable thanks @MooseSketts) that seem nice. And Nucleus, that doesn't have trophies but it's really nice and reasonably priced in Europe.

And Raystorm HD on Asia.

Beat Hazard a Ultra long shot. Shooter (cheaper in Asia) and Shooter 2 (cheaper in Europe) are hard pills to swallow considering how much I paid for Ultimate.

Are either Sine Mora on the Vita or PS3 must haves or the PS4 version is better and enough?

Son Of Scoregasm is any good?

I would recommend people not miss both Dead Nations, both Geometry Wars, the 2 Soldners... If I remember more I'll add.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 0:48 PM, cris3f said:

It would be nice if people would recommend really good games from this list that will vanish with the Vita and PS3 slaughter.

For the Vita I would recommend:

• Dead Nation + Road To Devastation DLC (cross-buy with the PS3 version)
  • Geometry Wars 3:  Dimensions Evolved
  • Gravity Crash Ultra (100% unobtainable due to server shutdown)

For the PS3 I would recommend:

• Dead Nation + Road To Devastation DLC (cross-buy with the PS Vita version)
  • Geometry Wars 3:  Dimensions
  • Gravity Crash (100% unobtainable due to server shutdown)
  • Mamorukun Curse! (this game has a Japanese stack that has a physical; however, in regards to the physical copy, the DLC may need to be purchased in the PS Store.  The North American release - digital only - has the DLC already part of the game)
  • Pixeljunk Shooter
  • Pixeljunk Shooter 2
  • Super Stardust HD + Solo-Add On DLC + Team Add-On DLC

There are other games I'd recommend, however they are cross-buy purchases with the PS4.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, dieselmanchild said:

Has anyone tried Zotrix? I grabbed it in a PSN sale at some point for less than $2 and I’m wondering if it’s worth checking out. The trophies look like a bit of a pain in the ass with a lot of glitches and such, but gameplay looks pretty decent if you’re into retros.

Yes, I have.

There is supposedly a glitch where playing arcade mode for too long of a time glitches the campaign trophies and when that happens you need to delete your save and start over.  I have not come across this personally as I started the campaign to prevent any glitches from happening.  The issues that I have with this game is that it gets very boring and the UI between missions is a clunky mess.  It is a rather easy shooter/bullet hell game (and I have admitted I suck at bullet hell games, but I play 'em anyway).  If you feel like it, go for it.  Just be wary of that arcade mode!

@cris3f

I've never played Sine Mora.  That being said, I would say that it depends on what you are looking for.  If you want to stack the games; then get all three.  The PS Vita and PS4 version have the same trophies on separate lists.  The PS3 version has a different trophy than the PS Vita and PS4 version that, I assume, makes the 100% even harder to achieve.  As a side note, the PS4 vesion of Sine Mora is on sale right now.

I have Son Of Scoregasm on my list of games to purchase.  Never played it, but it looks like it would be fun.

@cris3f / to anyone else who cares

I purchased Son Of Scoregasm.  I must say that I am not particularly enjoying the game.  For one thing the sound effects when your ship runs out of its pulse attack is beyond irritating and, unless I am blind which is a possibility, I do not see a way to adjust the sound settings.  Also, I find myself growing bored rather quickly.

I do have to say that this is quite possibly one of the better twin stick shooters I've played in terms of fluid controls.

Not quite sure if this will help you (or anyone) in deciding to purchase or not.  Just thought I'd let you know what I thought since you had asked.

Edited by MooseSketts
Forgot to add a game
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...