ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Oh, you had a "quick look" at Yakuza 3 trophy list? Tee hee hee.

Oh and there IS Mahjong in Yakuza 3 and one of the requirements is to win with over 50,000 points.

Quick look as in “I read the trophy descriptions thoroughly and, for those that weren’t clear to me, the guide not-so-thoroughly”. So maybe I missed Mahjong, which effectively makes that plat impossible for me ? Man, I’d love to understand the game, be able to play it fluidly and earn the CPs myself, not with a guide, but right now that’s unlikely to happen.

By the way, I came here to comment on Nidhogg’s issue as well. What a bummer, mate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FrediPy_ said:

Quick look as in “I read the trophy descriptions thoroughly and, for those that weren’t clear to me, the guide not-so-thoroughly”. So maybe I missed Mahjong, which effectively makes that plat impossible for me 1f605.png Man, I’d love to understand the game, be able to play it fluidly and earn the CPs myself, not with a guide, but right now that’s unlikely to happen.

By the way, I came here to comment on Nidhogg’s issue as well. What a bummer, mate.

Mahjong on the other games is way easier as often you need to just do a certain Mahjong victory, on Yakuza 4 it was just win with 2 of every tile. That one is easy to get even if you don't know Mahjong. But yeah not only do you need to know Mahjong quite well but you need to play consistently well for about 5 or more rounds and also just hope the CPU plays bad/you have some lucky rounds with your tile.

Some of the Super Battle Challenges at the end at really hard. There is one fight where you have to defeat about 5 enemies with an AI, a guy in his underpants. He dies in one hit so you have to somehow beat all the other guys without him getting hit, he dies with the slightest tap. That one is so much based on luck since an enemy getting up trying to leg sweep you might hit him.

Getting -5 under par for the entire Golf Tournament is also tough, you can't save mid game, have to play for about 25 mins and hope you do well consistently.

Near perfect AI on pool, miss a shot and then the AI just flawlessly clears up

I mentioned earlier on this thread that a guy here who started with Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, starting on 3, he went mental and starting punching holes through the wall of his house in rage. And that was on the batting game, which I think is the easier of the minigames. Still tough though.

And not as hard as the Japanese version, which has a Answers X Answers quiz game, that is like grinding in TIR Dead Rising 2 style trying to get the event to come up that you need to win, the AI is cheap and you need a high level of common knowledge about Japan and it's all in Japanese too, no way of cheaping that like you can with Buzz quiz games, there is no way to pause when the Quiz game starts.

Anyway, I still love Yakuza 3, but 5-6 bastard hard mini games in one platinum. You need to get good at several game genres, just for one mini game trophy. It has broken many people that game. Not just the wall punching guy.

• Like 3

On 5.3.2021 at 10:00 AM, enaysoft said:

Mahjong on the other games is way easier as often you need to just do a certain Mahjong victory, on Yakuza 4 it was just win with 2 of every tile. That one is easy to get even if you don't know Mahjong. But yeah not only do you need to know Mahjong quite well but you need to play consistently well for about 5 or more rounds and also just hope the CPU plays bad/you have some lucky rounds with your tile.

Some of the Super Battle Challenges at the end at really hard. There is one fight where you have to defeat about 5 enemies with an AI, a guy in his underpants. He dies in one hit so you have to somehow beat all the other guys without him getting hit, he dies with the slightest tap. That one is so much based on luck since an enemy getting up trying to leg sweep you might hit him.

Getting -5 under par for the entire Golf Tournament is also tough, you can't save mid game, have to play for about 25 mins and hope you do well consistently.

Near perfect AI on pool, miss a shot and then the AI just flawlessly clears up

I mentioned earlier on this thread that a guy here who started with Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, starting on 3, he went mental and starting punching holes through the wall of his house in rage. And that was on the batting game, which I think is the easier of the minigames. Still tough though.

And not as hard as the Japanese version, which has a Answers X Answers quiz game, that is like grinding in TIR Dead Rising 2 style trying to get the event to come up that you need to win, the AI is cheap and you need a high level of common knowledge about Japan and it's all in Japanese too, no way of cheaping that like you can with Buzz quiz games, there is no way to pause when the Quiz game starts.

Anyway, I still love Yakuza 3, but 5-6 bastard hard mini games in one platinum. You need to get good at several game genres, just for one mini game trophy. It has broken many people that game. Not just the wall punching guy.

I started playing Yakuza last year. Started with 0, continued with Kiwami (no plats yet because I didn't wanna do legend playthroughs right now and in Kiwami's case also didn't wanna do the climax battles just yet. Also started Kiwami 2. In my opinion you should have played either 0, K1, K2 before playing 3 or at least K1 and K2 with 0 being cleaned up later.

Those games are pretty awesome. Contrary to many I liked the mahjong requirements so far. Did all of them on my partial Legend run for 0 again for CPs.^^

I have a question for you guys:

In Yakuza 3,4,5, is the mahjong the same kind of game, meaning that the game continues itself once you declare riichi or do I have to do that manually in those games? Wouldn't be a problem, it would just take longer and be a little tedious.

Also heard that the pool mechanics are somewhat screwed up regarding the sensitivity.

• Like 1

Not played the earlier games yet but Mahjong in 3, 4, 5, 6 and Dead Souls, it's pretty much identical. You do not have to declare anything, button prompts come up when you can make certain moves.Climax battles in 4 and 5 if I recall are way easier, Dead Souls and 6 don't even have them. Hmm, perhaps 5 had none either.

I never had an issue with pool mechanics in 3, but I was never good enough to just pot every ball flawlessly without missing like the AI does.

Sorry for we're getting off topic here.

Anyway all this talk makes me hope one, it will get chosen as the next challenge. it's very likely not gonna happen though. But if not I hope it can be Catherine.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

It is growing and it makes me so happy to see! 1f604.png I never expected this checklist to gain traction at all but so many of you have continued showing up and participating and offering advice and voting in the polls and reading my silly updates! I know I say it at the end of almost every update, but seriously, thank you all for sticking with me (even those of you that prefer to lurk, thank you all too)! <3 

We enjoy hearing about your stories and watching you play hard games.

Recently I've been a bit inspired and have going back and trying to get platinum on some games I gave up on long ago. Not of course the really hard game variety, but the long and hard slog grindy ones, that I have given up on several times and just thought nah I'm happy with 90%

I mean your trophy completion is slightly less than 70% but you're happy and having tons of fun challenging yourself.

I honestly miss the days of just playing hard games for fun before trophies came along. This topic is certainly a great inspiration for "Kill your completion" percentage.

• Like 4

I'm thinking about retracting my DMCV nomination for future polls. I feel like it's never going to make it into Phase 2, so it's just going to take up space at some point (is there a limit for a number of options in one poll?). Also, I suggested this game very early on, and since then a lot of more interesting games have been added. And now I kinda want to see them conquered instead ?.

BTW, it's crazy that you're doing this challenge and then also playing games like Badland and VVVVVV "for fun" on top of that, lol. 

• Like 3

LOL. You did VVVVVV "for fun" while the current poll is going on.

On 3/8/2021 at 0:03 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, hearing that made my day and it's always cool to see that others could be inspired to push themselves through this thread! 1f604.png 

Although I was young when trophies were introduced, I miss those days too. Back then, the satisfaction of mastering a game came from the mastery itself (mostly) and not the bragging rights that the mastery bestowed upon you via digital reward certificates. Now it feels as though bragging rights are the only reason most (including myself) would dare to pursue mastery at all. To an extent, even this thread is just a platform from which to capitalize on those bragging rights as I shout my arbitrary gaming feats from the rooftops. 1f602.png

Until today, I had never checked out the "Kill your completion" event threads 1f605.png. I really need to pay more attention to the events around here!

Trophies have done good and bad things for gaming. Mostly bad.

I hate that once I have 100% on a game, I often have no desire to carry on playing. It's like a check mark that tells me that "other challenges are awaiting".

It's no wonder I have so many stacks twice on the same game for platinums that are long. It feels like another justification in my mind that I can play the same game again.

I do miss when games were hard but also about 30 mins long. Much better smaller bite size chunks of games to get into.

Anyway good luck in the next game, I know it won't be Yakuza 3, I do hope it is Catherine though. I know what my second choice is going to be. :)

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 7:03 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks, hearing that made my day and it's always cool to see that others could be inspired to push themselves through this thread! 1f604.png 

Although I was young when trophies were introduced, I miss those days too. Back then, the satisfaction of mastering a game came from the mastery itself (mostly) and not the bragging rights that the mastery bestowed upon you via digital reward certificates. Now it feels as though bragging rights are the only reason most (including myself) would dare to pursue mastery at all. To an extent, even this thread is just a platform from which to capitalize on those bragging rights as I shout my arbitrary gaming feats from the rooftops. 1f602.png

Until today, I had never checked out the "Kill your completion" event threads 1f605.png. I really need to pay more attention to the events around here!

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Trophies have done good and bad things for gaming. Mostly bad.

I hate that once I have 100% on a game, I often have no desire to carry on playing. It's like a check mark that tells me that "other challenges are awaiting".

It's no wonder I have so many stacks twice on the same game for platinums that are long. It feels like another justification in my mind that I can play the same game again.

I do miss when games were hard but also about 30 mins long. Much better smaller bite size chunks of games to get into.

Anyway good luck in the next game, I know it won't be Yakuza 3, I do hope it is Catherine though. I know what my second choice is going to be. :)

I do agree with both of you but I also think this is mostly nostalgia speaking.

I too miss those days. I miss when I would come home after junior high and high school, I'd invite my best friend over on Fridays and Saturdays to play Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64. Getting on the internet back then was a slow, painful process because there was dial-up. Strategy guides were too expensive so we had to make due with what we can manage. We played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007 and Super Mario 64 for hours on end. Never got bored, never missed a moment. Then about 10 - 11 PM we went to bed and did sleepovers. We'd wake up around 7 - 8 AM in the morning and play where we left off after we had breakfast. 

We'd go to Blockbuster and rent games we never even heard of just to see if they were bad or good. Renting games at a video rental store which today's kids will never experience. But all too often, we forgot how much we had to blow into the Super Nintendo/Nintendo 64 cartridges, sometimes the discs on PS1/PS2 games would be too scratched up so you couldn't even play them. I couldn't wait to go to my local grocery store and buy a new gaming magazine with the allowance I had that came with games that were demos. Those were the times that I enjoyed gaming the most. Being a kid and a teenager, soaking in the newly released game, and appreciating it for what it was.

I miss the 1990s/early - mid 2000s. What an era for gaming.

• Like 3

Nice job on VVVVV! Just wanted to say that I voted for Catherine and Binding of Isaac, kind of hoping for Binding of Isaac since it is on my Ultra Rare Cleanup list and could use some guidance.

• Like 1

The first phase of Poll #3 has concluded! 
The results of phase 1 of the poll are in and, if the top three nominees are any indication, it looks like we're going to be playing a roguelike next! ?

The three games moving on to phase 2 of the poll are...

Nuclear Throne with 14 votes!
Spelunky 2 with 15 Votes!
And comfortably in the lead with 19 votes, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth!

A special thanks to all of you that took the time to participate in phase 1 of the poll! The full results have been posted below if you'd like to check them out! Phase 2 will begin on the evening of March 11th and will end March 14th! I'm a little behind on replies but I should be caught up soon (thank you for your patience)!

See you all tomorrow once the poll goes live! ?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

The first phase of Poll #3 has concluded! 
The results of phase 1 of the poll are in and, if the top three nominees are any indication, it looks like we're going to be playing a roguelike next! 1f604.png

The three games moving on to phase 2 of the poll are...

Nuclear Throne with 14 votes!
Spelunky 2 with 15 Votes!
And comfortably in the lead with 19 votes, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth!

A special thanks to all of you that took the time to participate in phase 1 of the poll! The full results have been posted below if you'd like to check them out! Phase 2 will begin on the evening of March 11th and will end March 14th! I'm a little behind on replies but I should be caught up soon (thank you for your patience)!

See you all tomorrow once the poll goes live! 1f604.png

Sweet, BOI was one of my picks!! Very fun game and a pretty good challenge. Out of curiosity, are you planning on going for just the plat or the full 100%? I only ask because once upon a time I acquired the plat, but never had the motivation to go back and do the full "1000000 %"! I might consider dusting it off and playing along if you are doing the full combo.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 1:12 AM, enaysoft said:

Thanks! ? While Catherine may not have made it this time around (missed top 3 by a single vote), I'm sure it'll win a poll sooner or later since it has been consistently performing well! I'll need to start putting some serious thought into how I should present Catherine when it inevitably wins because I knocked all the story-related content out over a year ago along with some of the miscellaneous stuff. I just have to play through Rapunzel, earn the gold medals on hard/hard remix, and finish the Babel stages.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:27 AM, Megatritionsts said:

I just wanted to say Congratulations on VVVVV man keep at it!!!! 

Thanks, I really appreciate it! ? I'll try my best!

On 3/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Grotz99 said:

Nice job on VVVVV! Just wanted to say that I voted for Catherine and Binding of Isaac, kind of hoping for Binding of Isaac since it is on my Ultra Rare Cleanup list and could use some guidance.

Thank you! ? It's looking good for Binding of Isaac considering it dominated phase 1 of the poll; let's see if it manages to win the 2nd phase! I'll definitely be needing guidance too considering I don't have much experience in roguelikes. ? We could trade tips along the way if you plan on playing it around the same time!

On 3/11/2021 at 0:45 AM, enaysoft said:

Cool!

Well I definitely won't be voting for Spelunky, along with VVVVVV that would be your 3rd platform game in a row..

Haha, luckily platformers are one of the few genres I can't really get sick of so it's not a big deal if Spelunky 2 takes the victory. :D  So feel free to vote for whichever game piques your interest the most!

17 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Sweet, BOI was one of my picks!! Very fun game and a pretty good challenge. Out of curiosity, are you planning on going for just the plat or the full 100%? I only ask because once upon a time I acquired the plat, but never had the motivation to go back and do the full "1000000 %"! I might consider dusting it off and playing along if you are doing the full combo.

Great question! So, when Binding of Isaac was originally added to the nomination list, it was under the condition that my playthrough would be a platinum only run because the full 100% could easily push past the 300 hour limit I've set for any game I play for this challenge. I tried to reflect this condition in the nomination list/poll by adding "[platinum]" at the end of the entry. Although, looking back, I probably should have said "[platinum only]" to make it a little more clear. ?

That said, what I plan to do (if Isaac manages to win phase 2 of the poll) is to assess where everything stands at the end of the journey to the platinum and see if it would be worth playing through the DLC. It all depends on how much time I've spent up to that point and whether I can make the updates for the game entertaining enough to keep everyone's interest. I would like to play through the DLC though, especially if I end up enjoying the game, so we'll take it one step at a time and see how it goes!

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2

Wow it's been awhile since I popped in here. And luckily it was time for phase 4. I've been slowly grinding the 1000 coins for greed mode on boi. I got greedier finally and holy shit is the boss insane. The main reason I've been doing greed is so I can get holy mantle for the lost.

But I'm glad the game I nominated is winning. Cause as someone else said, having you play this might make me keep grinding so I can plat it as well. 

Freaking so many sales and games for cheap I've gotten a 20 game backlog now. Not including the 10 games on my dashboard. But I'm done buying games. Shit is an addiction. 

Anyways...I'll be popping in here a lot more if boi wins. Would love to get some inspiration!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freeman4200 said:

Anyways...I'll be popping in here a lot more if boi wins. Would love to get some inspiration!

Well it is definitely BOI for me. lol. I wondered what you meant at first. Thought it was God of War's BOY!

Yep Binding Of Issac it is for me.

Although I wonder about the randomness of it. Like you can have a really hard or easy run, so it's not as learnable as other games? I dunno.

It looks interesting though. I am sad Catherine got pushed out, but oh well.

• Like 1

If BOI wins, then a playthrough with The Lost will by far be the hardest, since he dies in one hit from any source. Although this tip may be useless, considering the intention of this thread is to be destroyed, there is a way to make it somewhat easier. If you buy the Afterbirth DLC, you are able to unlock an item, called the Holy Mantle as a starting item for The Lost. It will let you tank a single hit per room before dying, which can make the ordeal slightly less sadistic. But if you want the extra challenge, by all means, go ahead!

Edited by Trumpet_Boi_208
  • Like 1