OEM vs Aftermarket Controllers

Armymed101

Here is a fun one...

So, I'm currently looking all over Ebay, Offerup and other sites to see how much ps4 controllers are. The pricing difference can be staggering in comparison between OEM and aftermarket controllers. So, what is your preference when it comes to controllers? Do you use those that are not technically "Sony" controllers? Is there a brand that is the best to use overall? I would love to not have to pay $60+ US for a new controller every time mine decide to take a crap. Just curious what your thoughts are everyone

For the amount of hours most people are going to use a controller (every hour they play for every game they play) it’s worth it to spring the extra cost for a retail controller, especially if they’re still available. Watch out for them when they go on sale and pick up a couple backups. 

Some people may play 5,000 -6,000 hours a year across a hundred games, but it’s all on one or two controllers. Saving a couple bucks over that period of time isn’t worth it if the quality of a 3rd party controller is crap. Almost makes the case for a really nice, slightly more expensive controller if any have extra features you’re looking for. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't get one of those knock-off controllers. As for Hori, I've enjoyed their arcade sticks and I'd trust their controllers to be decent. The FPS Plus looks nice, though the Xbox layout isn't for me either. I'll just get another DualShock 4 or two. It's good knowing the PS5 can use a DS4 with the supported PS4 games.

On 06/01/2021 at 8:52 AM, ScarecrowsFate said:

I've considered purchasing one of Hori's controllers with a rapid-fire feature, like the FPS Plus. Would be nice to have for certain shmups, but I've been too cheap thus far, and I dislike the Xbox-style layout. Seems like a great option, though.

I have the Hori controller and personally am not a fan due to the layout and size, it's not wireless and does not have the motion sensing that the official DS4 ones do. I remember trying to use it in Beyond Two Souls and it does not sense actions like having to rotate or move your controller in certain ways. I think it's just for FPS games mostly, but the wired only aspect bugged me, however that wouldn't matter if you sit pretty close to the TV. 

I just stick to the DS4 ones now as I don't really play FPS games

From my experience the knock offs just don't last as long.  I only own one because I wanted to have a turbo controller for some grindy games, but I only use it when I need the turbo functions and use the dualshock 4 that my PS4 came with normally.  Had my PS4 since 2017 and the originally controller is still working great.

7 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

it's not wireless and does not have the motion sensing that the official DS4 ones do.

Neither of these have much importance to me, since I sit right on top of a gaming monitor, and try to avoid motion controls like the plague. I can see how lacking the latter would be problematic for general use, though, as some games require them. I just want a turbo function to make certain games easier on my already shredded tendons.

Forgot to mention that I've also heard surprisingly good things about these budget Kydlan controllers. The left stick can be swapped to the DualShock layout, and they supposedly include a lifetime warranty.

I've got an Hori Pro 4 arcade stick, which I personally think it's perfect for fighting games. As an old school gamer and the fact it's mostly designed for fighting games, it's an brilliant controller to have, I love it as it reminds me of the old days. I find it preforms a lot better with the execution of combo's, then compared to the pad, while it may not be for everyone, it does perform a lot better and it can be hard to master, if your not use to playing games arcade style.

A lot of the games out there was originally in the arcade, it's just the arcade stick is more designed for the FGC and pros. I haven't tested it out on other genres yet, so I can't comment on how it would play on other genre's. For me I love the feel of it, the turbo switch is fun and the fact I can just re-assign my buttons to certain commands make's performing combos easier. I've only had it for a few months, but I have noticed the big difference of using it, compared to using the pad and it has improved my gameplay. Got it before we went back in lockdown and I am literally using it more, then the ps4 pad I got. I know it's not for everyone, but it brings back memories of playing fighting games like I use to at the arcades and it's fun.

There’s going to be more knockoffs as time moves forward. 

It’s a bit difficult to find real PS3 controllers anymore. There is literally a ton of Chinese knockoffs, third party controllers that are low quality and break easily. A number of PS3 controllers that look real are actually fake. Buttons don’t feel as solid and the control sticks are a bit off. 

As we move further into the PS5/Xbox Series X generation there will be more knockoff PS4 controllers. 

Even if you have to pay overprice for a real PS4 controller, it is far better and has a longer lifespan than any of the knockoffs. A real DualShock PS4 controller is worth the investment.

On 07/01/2021 at 5:42 PM, ScarecrowsFate said:

Neither of these have much importance to me, since I sit right on top of a gaming monitor, and try to avoid motion controls like the plague. I can see how lacking the latter would be problematic for general use, though, as some games require them. I just want a turbo function to make certain games easier on my already shredded tendons.

In that case the Hori pad would be pretty good, it makes FPS games and games that need repeated button pressing much easier on the thumb. I remember I got tendonitis of my right thumb and was left playing visual novels for ages as I could only game with one hand until it got better, and with VNs all you do is read dialogue. That's what made me get the Hori pad initially. 

• Like 1