Is Yakuza 0 the best place to start the series?

kraven_15

Yes, not only is one of the best of the franchise, is also a great start for any newcomer.

You can also go for Kiwami, which was the first one being originally launched and it is a solid remake of the first game, however you won't be invested in the character as much if you haven't played Zero, also the game is also quite tough for newcomers as well.

Edited by Ninjise

Kiwami was the first Yakuza game I played and Zero the second, and personally I would recommend going in that order. 

Those above are right about Zero being the better game, but I found that playing Kiwami beforehand actually enhanced the experience of Zero. And whilst the same would be true the other way around, I don’t believe it would be of an equivalent magnitude. 

This is mainly due to the story of one of the main characters - the star of the game IMO. In the latter games he is batshit crazy, but Zero pitches his earlier self as a much more humane and sympathetic character, with an incredible story to flesh him out. Having experienced his crazy self in Kiwami it was all the more touching to see, and the decisions and actions he makes throughout the story were far more meaningful. 

Not only would you lose that perspective by beginning with Zero, but his complete tonal shift in the other games might come across as both jarring and disappointing.  

Also Kiwami is effectively a remake of the first ever Yakuza game and so serves as a natural starting point. 

• Like 3

Most people will say yes, start with zero. It's easy to see why when you're familiar with the series - but as someone who actually did start with zero and then go through the whole series I'd personally recommend starting with kiwami. Zero is fantastic and a great entry to the series but there's a lot of content you simply won't appreciate without being familiar with the series. For example a playable character Majima, I had no clue why he was even in zero or what his relevance to anything was while playing, then i started the series and saw why he was a fan favourite and how big of a deal it was to be able to play as him and get his backstory and i kind of regretted not being able to experience that appreciation outside of hindsight.

I also liked zero's story and gameplay a lot more than many of the other games so going from zero to kiwami felt like a bit of a downgrade and kiwami was hard to enjoy. But that's just my two cents, most will say go with zero.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terarded said:

For example a playable character Majima, I had no clue why he was even in zero or what his relevance to anything was while playing

That doesn't make any sense to me. Majima is relevant to the events that take place in 0. 

If 0 is your first game in the series, you shouldn't have a clue why anyone is in the game because you're meeting everyone for the first time.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1

That would be a resounding yes from me. 

- It's a prequel so no background knowledge needed (and old timers can appreciate subtle references)

- Regarded as one of the best in the series so if you didn't like it then at least you'd save time not having to play the rest to see what's out there because they're not going to change much from game to game (exception would be yakuza LAD or dead souls which yea.. let's not go there :P). 

thank you all for your feedback. so, it kiwami was released first and 0 released after it. 

i tend to like watching/playing games in the order of their release personally. so im thinking i'll start with kiwami first and then do 0 after.  

thank you all for your advice. greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

That doesn't make any sense to me. Majima is relevant to the events that take place in 0. 

If 0 is your first game in the series, you shouldn't have a clue why anyone is in the game because you're meeting everyone for the first time.

Yea but i mean if you've gone through the effort of buying a Yakuza game you at least have some idea who the main character is so his part of the story is obviously going to be the relevant factor in your mind and Majima's connection to the story takes a long time to kick in with such a long game which gives you a lot of time to wonder why you're playing as this seemingly irrelevant character. But my opinion is leaning that way more because Majima is obviously very different in other games so the gravitas of seeing him so different in 0 and the progression he goes through in the game was fairly meaningless as a new player and being separated from Kiryu who's obviously the main character just made me wonder for a large part of the game why he was necessary from a game design perspective - something that was very obvious after playing the other games.

Don't get me wrong it's not like it ruined the game or anything i still thoroughly enjoyed it it's easily my favourite, I just remember looking back thinking i wish i had have played 0 later to appreciate the story of it more. Kind of felt like i missed out on appreciating the prequel aspect i guess you could say.

5 hours ago, kraven_15 said:

thank you all for your feedback. so, it kiwami was released first and 0 released after it. 

i tend to like watching/playing games in the order of their release personally. so im thinking i'll start with kiwami first and then do 0 after.  

thank you all for your advice. greatly appreciated

nah dude play 0 first, makes the story of kiwami more impactful