I have the chance to get a PS5 at a not exorbitant price. Should I?

Doomed_Gary

I'd say its definitely worth it. Sure it's lacking the accessibility options of the ps4 but those are due to come and mind you when the ps4 launched it was just as barebones. Don't think it's fair comparing a console that's evolved over many years to one that's only been out for a few months. 

I'll give you my reasons why it's worth it. 

1. We finally have a competent console where majority of games can run a stable 60fps 4k with several games taking it further with 120 fps or even Ray tracing. 

2. Backwards compatibility. Not only do you get to continue your ps4 backlog but the games perform better, load faster and look better. Games that struggled to hit 60 fps are now doing it with ease and that's without any ps5 updates. Even though the ps5 doesn't have a library of must play games or console sellers yet, this reason alone makes it worth it for me as I have about 100 ps4 games that I still haven't played yet.

3. Say goodbye to loading screens. It's safe to say after getting use to ps5 you'll likely have a hard time going back and playing anything that takes over a minute to load. Something like assassins creed valhalla which is massive only takes about 13 seconds to load. Just makes the overall experience better when you can jump right back in. 

4. No more jet engine sounds. Other than the coil whine or the disc drive making a sound every now and then, the console is completely quiet. 

5. How responsive and quick everything is. I've seen several on this site claiming that the ps5 ui is a buggy laggy mess and I'm just there like???? It's definitely not as accessible as you do have to go through more menus in order to reach simple stuff but it's definitely not laggy or buggy in the slightest. Pretty much everything is done within a few seconds despite having to go through more menus. Is the ui perfect? Definitely not but so far it's fast and gets the job done. Apparently some changes have been made to make things quicker to access with today's update so that problem might be fixed now. 

6. The controller. It's not a massive departure from the dualshock 4 but they've made several upgrades. Battery life, grip and triggers are all improved but then there's the trigger effects which I originally thought was just a gimmick, actually turned out to be a cool feature I didn't know I needed. How devs will take advantage of this is to be seen but so far games such as Cold war and Astros playroom show off its potential. 

Those are just the few big reasons I can name off the top of my head but yeah I'm satisfied and things will likely only get better. There's also a list of promising exclusives dropping this year already so they don't seem to be slowing down. If you're getting one expecting it to be some life changing experience then you'll be disappointed but so far they've delivered on the most important aspect which is to run games like a current gen console should. Keep in mind you need a competent TV to take full advantage the console. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BGriff1986 said:

Personally I’m holding out for a price drop and/or a PS5 Pro before I take the plunge, knowing that means it could be quite a while before I upgrade. Got enough on my PS3/PS4 backlog to keep me going for at least another year and right now there aren’t enough exclusives to give me FOMO

This right here. Waiting for the mid-gen refresh console. Plenty of games and plenty of time until then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, Helyx said:

Meh. It's a good console, but still needs lots of front-end work to the UI. I'd wait until October or November for a sale (and some games).

Exactly what Helyx has said, Wait on a sale. If anything I've barely touched the PS5 since owning it and I'm not being a knob. It's just,,,,,,,, not ready.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother, there just aren't enough games out on it to justify rushing to get the console. I'm just going to wait until Sony revamps the chip in it so that it can be widely produced and I can just walk into the game shop and buy one without any hassle. 

• Like 1