Do i start on ps4 or ps5?

Hvalpen

If i one day want to do the entire PSNprofiles list of final fantasy games, do i start with the ps4 or ps5 version of this game? I assume if i started on ps5(with the free upgrade) i cant go back to ps4 can i? Trophies would not be popping on ps4 afterwards right? Whereas, starting on ps4 and THEN go ps5, the trophies would be popping on ps5 right? Or would both be an option?

Hope you understand what im asking!

Your progress is tied to your Square Enix account. You can log in and switch freely between PS4, PS5 or PC and your progress will carry over, as long as you own the game on those platforms. 

Trophies will unlock if you've done the requirements, although some of them will require you to perform an extra action. For example if you've already caught 1000 fish, you'll need to catch one more fish to trigger the trophy. Non-story mode dungeons need to be repeated to unlock their trophies, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Your progress is tied to your Square Enix account. You can log in and switch freely between PS4, PS5 or PC and your progress will carry over, as long as you own the game on those platforms. 

Trophies will unlock if you've done the requirements, although some of them will require you to perform an extra action. For example if you've already caught 1000 fish, you'll need to catch one more fish to trigger the trophy. Non-story mode dungeons need to be repeated to unlock their trophies, too.

But if i started on ps5, using the free upgrade, wouldnt that lock me out from going back to ps4 basically?

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

I don't think any PS5 upgrades remove the PS4 version from your account, so you should be fine

When we did upgrade from PS3 to PS4 we lost access on PS3, but i dont know if they'll do the same thing now.

Edited by regislc30

Just now, Hvalpen said:

Exactly. On GTAV you could only jump a generation, not go backwards again after that.

That's not the same. You could still play GTAV on PS3, your progress would just be separate for each version after the transfer. On FFXIV there is no platform-specific progress, your account is the same no matter where you log in. 

But if they do revoke your PS4 version when they make you upgrade to PS5, you'd have to buy the PS4 version again if you wanted to continue playing it. So far it looks like they're not doing that though, although it could just be because it's in beta.

14 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

That's not the same. You could still play GTAV on PS3, your progress would just be separate for each version after the transfer. On FFXIV there is no platform-specific progress, your account is the same no matter where you log in. 

But if they do revoke your PS4 version when they make you upgrade to PS5, you'd have to buy the PS4 version again if you wanted to continue playing it. So far it looks like they're not doing that though, although it could just be because it's in beta.

Are you saying, if i start on ps5 and get x amount of trophies, then if i boot up a ps4 version, those trophies would pop again?

8 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

Are you saying, if i start on ps5 and get x amount of trophies, then if i boot up a ps4 version, those trophies would pop again?

Mostly. I explained it a bit more in my first post, but generally yes.

Although the trophy lists are quite different, with the PS5 list having significantly higher requirements

8 minutes ago, spiddel said:

when you install both the ps4 version and ps5 version of the game onto your ps5 you can switch to the ps4 version by selecting the '...' that's to the right of 'play game' on the ps5 home menu

How so? If you did the free ps5 update of the game

10 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

How so? If you did the free ps5 update of the game

I did that and the option to launch the ps4 version is in that menu. I assume it's there regardless of whether you've been using a trial account or not but who knows

Edited by spiddel

I know ps3 progress was revoked when going to ps4, however ps3 was really under powered. Ps4 while underpowered is still a viable option and a good way to play so I believe that ps4 would be valid after playing on ps5. I also didn't read most of the replies so sorry if this has been answered/stated

Edited by LeonScottKenedy2
Error 214

2 hours ago, spiddel said:

I did that and the option to launch the ps4 version is in that menu. I assume it's there regardless of whether you've been using a trial account or not but who knows

So, do you think it would also automatically switch to the ps4 trophy version? If you launched it as the ps4 version, while playing on playstation 5?

7 hours ago, regislc30 said:

When we did upgrade from PS3 to PS4 we lost access on PS3, but i dont know if they'll do the same thing now.

3 hours ago, LeonScottKenedy2 said:

I know ps3 progress was revoked when going to ps4, however ps3 was really under powered. Ps4 while underpowered is still a viable option and a good way to play so I believe that ps4 would be valid after playing on ps5. I also didn't read most of the replies so sorry if this has been answered/stated

I've been wondering the same thing, but logging into MogStation, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 are listed under the same license column. I don't think that was the case even when the PS4 version was launching/in beta, so I'm hoping this stays and we do get to retain access to last gen and current gen this time.

On 16/04/2021 at 5:28 PM, Hvalpen said:

So, do you think it would also automatically switch to the ps4 trophy version? If you launched it as the ps4 version, while playing on playstation 5?

Yes, if you launch the PS4 version of the game it's linked to the PS4 version's trophy list, and visa versa. 

To get the most out of your experience taking into account you'd want to get as many trophies as possible, I'd say play the PS5 version for the majority of the time and if you get close to or trigger something that's on the PS4's list (like crafting 1000 times), switch to the PS4 version and do that action one more time to trigger the trophy. The trophy lists are quite different though so you'll be doing a lot of different things (eg. normal crafting on PS4 vs collectable crafting on PS5).

Also, if you're afraid they'll revoke/upgrade the PS4 license after the PS5 beta is over making the PS4 version unplayable, it's best to focus on that trophy list first. Just make sure if you're going to be doing any raids that have a trophy on the PS5 version you're playing on that to avoid having to do things again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, Adilya said:

Also, if you're afraid they'll revoke/upgrade the PS4 license after the PS5 beta is over making the PS4 version unplayable, it's best to focus on that trophy list first. Just make sure if you're going to be doing any raids that have a trophy on the PS5 version you're playing on that to avoid having to do things again. 

Unless you are farming that raid for loot. xD

Maybe I should revoke my old account and get a new Square-Enix account to just get the PS4 FFXIV list out of the way. Since I will playing the game all summer, I could do both lists. Of course the PS4 list has really annoying mindless grinds like the levequest grind....

Edited by faint-magician2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Let me warn you: The PS4 trophy list is grind intensive, but the PS5 trophy list requires all the expansions up to Shadowbringers, so if you want to just play free trial and then pay for one month to get the platinum, I'd go with the PS4 version, because one trophy requires 1000 levequests completed, which takes six months of real life because the leve allowances refresh every six hours for 3 allowance a refresh. The PS5 trophies require you to clear all the alliance raids and normal raids up to Shadowbringers, and the Eden raids are very difficult even on normal mode. Your call.

17 hours ago, winter_bird_22 said:

Let me warn you: The PS4 trophy list is grind intensive, but the PS5 trophy list requires all the expansions up to Shadowbringers, so if you want to just play free trial and then pay for one month to get the platinum, I'd go with the PS4 version, because one trophy requires 1000 levequests completed, which takes six months of real life because the leve allowances refresh every six hours for 3 allowance a refresh. The PS5 trophies require you to clear all the alliance raids and normal raids up to Shadowbringers, and the Eden raids are very difficult even on normal mode. Your call.

I'd like to add the Leve quest one wasn't that bad for me. Yes it takes time but if you do it once a week its not that bad. The annoying ones are the collectible PS5 trophies the 8000 and 5000 collectibles. Also 3000 fates is going to be so boring. Also on the PS4 the 1000 fish was the annoying one having to fish in AAR areas only I got 1000 at 1678 fish caught.

42 minutes ago, Glacier_Silver said:

I'd like to add the Leve quest one wasn't that bad for me. Yes it takes time but if you do it once a week its not that bad. The annoying ones are the collectible PS5 trophies the 8000 and 5000 collectibles. Also 3000 fates is going to be so boring. Also on the PS4 the 1000 fish was the annoying one having to fish in AAR areas only I got 1000 at 1678 fish caught.

I actually got those trophies and got to Level 90 on my Botanist by farming collectibles in Ahm Ameng(the desert in Norvandt) and Thavanir.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 4:58 AM, Shadiochao said:

On FFXIV there is no platform-specific progress, your account is the same no matter where you log in. 

That is interesting, because I was planning on getting the PS4 version platinum on a new character in tune with the release of Patch 6.1, because I would be running the PS4 version on that character, at least up to 2.1, to see the new changes to the end of the Realm Reborn main story questline. (They are removing Cape Westwind as a trial and make it and the current final battle in the Praetorium into solo duties and moving Ultima Weapon into a trial as well as demoting the MSQ Roulette dungeons to 4-man duties.)