rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

On 2/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, rjkclarke said:

Cheers.... Well right now I'm basically 1.1% away from hitting that, but in reality I don't know how tough that's going to be to really push that up, I guess diving back in and cleaning up some of my older games is the only way to find out. Fingers crossed I can though

Getting to review an awesome game like Singularity is a big motivator though, so hopefully it won't feel like a chore.

That's awesome to go from 33, to where you are now. Go with what you are comfortable with, and if that ever changes and you want to go higher, then at least you have the option too. That's kind of the approach I've taken with the little "cleanup jobs" as I like to call them. Otherwise I'd worry it'd become workmanlike and nobody needs that with a hobby that should be fun, right?

I think you can hit 66 nicely, then you can always decide if you want to go higher from there I guess.

Incredibly impressive! I'm sure you will be able to push it up even higher!

Singularity was a good game definitely. Remember that I enjoyed it quite a lot. 

Precisely, gaming is supposed to be a fun hobby. An escape and a time to enjoy and appreciate.

Yeah hoping I'll get there someday!

It very much might be, I wouldn't know. It has 32 on PS5 haha, so I'm guessing that one will end up even larger.

Yeah actually, I would recommend Dark Sector, if you come across a copy for a decent price in CEX or something or Ebay, I'd give it a go. It doesn't have any trophies so it's essentially just a pretty enjoyable run through a decent third person shooter, with the really cool glaive controllable flying glaive mechanic that it has. It's only about 6 hours long.

Warframe DLC's show no sign of stopping then lol

Dark Sector sounds like pretty good fun!

No I don't think you are the minority - I used to prefer Academy, but when I replayed them last year, I preferred Outcast overall. But Academy still has vastly superior gameplay, which will probably be the thing I focus on most when I come to review Academy.

I'd definitely recommend those PS4 versions - outside of the terrible save system they're very good experiences I found.

What's wrong with the save systems on them? 

And yes, you can have the Royal Joker King credit if I ever make the change haha xD

Yes I can see what you mean about JK and Danny Dyer lol

I'm looking forward to that credit haha!

Thanks for the belief man!

I'm getting there slowly, I'm almost past the point where I'm constantly stalling..... but I also feel like I have about five feet, and nowhere to actually comfrtably put them yet whilst driving, but I guess it'll all come in time

I guess sacrifices are the very small downside to being a responsible adult I guess.

Yeah it can be like that definitely. Practice makes perfect.

Yes very true. Wise words.

Awesome! I'll keep my ear to the ground then..... Hopefully all your hard work will pay off - it sure doesn't go unnoticed in here, even though we're a select few I suppose, but clearly we absolutely aren't the only ones after you did really well at the guide of the year awards!

Yeah thanks man, really appreciate it! Honestly still really chuffed about having 2 EHQ seals and 3rd place in one of the categories! Hopefully this will be the best one I've done but we will see. Definitely taking a big break from guide writing after it!

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 5:33 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Magus?? That's not a Chrono Trigger spin-off, is it?

I think if Magus was a Chrono Trigger spin-off then people would despise that game even more than they already do xD.....  I might try and slot that game in this week for a review actually, as it won't exactly take long. Even if it would take long - I wouldn't, because who the hell wants to read any more than they have to about Magus?

Magus was basically one of the early "Easy plat" games, admittedly that isn't why I played it - I have made no secret of the fact that I love a janky RPG here and there, but Magus rips open a wormhole and takes that jank into an entirely different universe. So, erm, yeah.... I guess I'll do that soon, now that I've reminded myself of it! Haha ?

On 01/03/2022 at 7:19 PM, The_Kopite said:

Incredibly impressive! I'm sure you will be able to push it up even higher!

Singularity was a good game definitely. Remember that I enjoyed it quite a lot. 

Precisely, gaming is supposed to be a fun hobby. An escape and a time to enjoy and appreciate.

Yeah hoping I'll get there someday!

Cheers man!

I'll take it as far as my motivation takes me I suppose - I must be fairly serious, as I've just gone and finished off the 100% for Resident Evil 5, which I'm hoping to have reviewed today, surprisingly it'll be the first Resident Evil game reviewed in here.

Unfortunately, I also decided to go back and tidy up Resident Evil 6, which will mean reviewing that too - I guess the upside is I'm getting the least favourable Resident Evil's out of the way first, then I'll just have the good ones to talk about, so swings and roundabouts xD

Singularity was really good yeah, glad you enjoyed it too - I just hated that there was a multiplayer component, but I want to actually discuss the game, which requires putting in a bit effort on my part, but hopefully it'll feel worth it, because I really dug that game!

If it stops being something I'm doing for enjoyment I'll just hit it on the head with a hammer and stop my little cleanup job I suppose haha - which is why I think you'll get to 66.66% pretty quickly if you attack a load of the games you really want to finish up or be playing. Although I'm not about to tell you how to play your own games, you've got to go at your own pace and all that.

What's wrong with the save systems on them? 

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy's save system is just really short sighted, I tried not to focus too much on it in both of those reviews - but, yeah it really breaks up the fluidity of the game a bit. Especially in an older title, with a bit more trial and error, where you'll likely be saving a lot!

The whole thing of - you have a hard limit on the amount of saves you are allocated - with no in-game way of overwriting them or deleting them, is a really huge oversight. Having to literally stop playing the game - close the application - manually delete the saves - reopen it, and then continue is such a stupid process, when all you want to do is bask in the glory of that excellent gameplay, slice up stormtroopers left and right, and shower everyone in force lightning.

That's really the major problem with the save systems, but if you can look past that there's a great time to be had with those games.

Yes I can see what you mean about JK and Danny Dyer lol

Yeah..... Once you see it, it's hard to unsee that ?

Yeah thanks man, really appreciate it! Honestly still really chuffed about having 2 EHQ seals and 3rd place in one of the categories! Hopefully this will be the best one I've done but we will see. Definitely taking a big break from guide writing after it!

As you should be!

I think you're due a break from guide writing for a little bit after the insane amount it sounds like you've put into this one.... Time for you to relax and do your thing, until you have the inevitable urge to get guide writing again xD

I'm looking forward to seeing what it is though, so it'll be an interesting surprise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #201

Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

Lbe4431.png

Fantastic job, buddy!

Now I'm wondering if I should hold off on my RE 5 review... in the very least I already know it will require a little extra polish?

Thank you man, I'm so grateful for how willing to lend a hand you were. Sidenote, I remember thinkin while playing versus that it would probably have been pretty fun for non-trophy hunting purposes, in fact it was rather fun for a while!

Loved how you touched on the subtle playing differences between the male and female characters - even Sheva and Jill played pretty differently, which I thought was neat.

I like that you mentioned the lack of actual fear, too - maybe not complete lack thereof, but it wasn't the same. With 5 you dread dying in one or two hits, but in the preceding games you're dreading even encountering anything in the first place! Lost in Nightmare did really well at recapturing that to an extent, and Desperate Escape was kind of a happy middle ground. I too thought the DLC greatly enhanced the game, and enjoyed it far more than expected!

Big thanks to @YaManSmevz for being there for the Versus mode portion of my time with this - in a way I wish I'd suggested that you and I had played through the entire game in co-op for one of your playthroughs , I think that could have been both hilarious and really enjoyable to boot as well.

Tellin ya man, one more romp on Amateur with the unlimited weapons would've been quick AND entertaining?

I wish I hadn't spent such a huge chunk of the game solo, as it definitely is better played with a friend. When I initially played it, it was with an old friend who talked me into getting it, we stopped at like 6-1 and I forgot about it til the Fall challenge. So I got nearly one full playthrough with co-op, then the versus, but the rest was by myself. A shame, really!

A solid game though, and by any other name it might've been seen a great! Anyway, excellent work as always man!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Fantastic job, buddy!

Now I'm wondering if I should hold off on my RE 5 review... in the very least I already know it will require a little extra polish1f604.png

Thanks man!

Don't feel like you need to hold off on the Resident Evil 5 review yourself man, it won't be the same as mine, and yours will be awesome. But if you aren't happy with where it's at right now, obviously do it when you feel comfortable, I'm looking forward to reading that one.

I've got to do the Resident Evil 6 one next after Patrick and I got that finished last night, got through that quicker than I expected in the end.

Thank you man, I'm so grateful for how willing to lend a hand you were. Sidenote, I remember thinkin while playing versus that it would probably have been pretty fun for non-trophy hunting purposes, in fact it was rather fun for a while!

Loved how you touched on the subtle playing differences between the male and female characters - even Sheva and Jill played pretty differently, which I thought was neat.

No worries dude, any time! I'll try and lend a hand when I can.

I imagine slayers is probably pretty fun as a non-trophy related thing, Survivors could be too, but I get the impression that out of the two of them Slayers would probably be the one that'd be the most fun to actually play without any sort of restrictions on it.

That's one of the neatest touches in RE5 actually is how every individual character feels distinctly different... From what I remember it's like that in RE4 as well, even down to the specific costumes.

I don't know if you remember, but you can get a suit of armour for Ashley, as an unlock, and that is so much weightier than her normal clothes (obviously haha ?).  It's really subtle in that when they have that tandem thing where Ashley drops down onto you from above - when she's wearing the armour, they put in this cool animation where Leon's knees buckle slightly, I love little attentions to detail like that. 

I like that you mentioned the lack of actual fear, too - maybe not complete lack thereof, but it wasn't the same. With 5 you dread dying in one or two hits, but in the preceding games you're dreading even encountering anything in the first place! Lost in Nightmare did really well at recapturing that to an extent, and Desperate Escape was kind of a happy middle ground. I too thought the DLC greatly enhanced the game, and enjoyed it far more than expected!

Exactly! Fear factor is definitely a lacking quality in Resident Evil 5.  I remember in the first Resident Evil being super cagey just around the crow enemies, because they can swarm you pretty quickly, let alone any of the other terrifying beasties that are all over the shop...... Oh, and those white monkey zombies  that still haunt my nightmares from Resident Evil 0.

I agree, Lost in Nightmare was a step in a better direction as far as horror goes, and those guardian things near that crank puzzle are pretty unsettling too, to be perfectly honest.

Great point about Desperate Escape being the happy middle ground - because it really is. It's a very decent balance of tense and sometimes scary (just by how overwhelmed you get,) mixed with some satisfying action gameplay.

Tellin ya man, one more romp on Amateur with the unlimited weapons would've been quick AND entertaining1f604.png

I wish I hadn't spent such a huge chunk of the game solo, as it definitely is better played with a friend. When I initially played it, it was with an old friend who talked me into getting it, we stopped at like 6-1 and I forgot about it til the Fall challenge. So I got nearly one full playthrough with co-op, then the versus, but the rest was by myself. A shame, really!

A solid game though, and by any other name it might've been seen a great! Anyway, excellent work as always man!

Yeah we probably should have done that, to be fair - it really would have been entertaining I think..... I'm sure we'll find something else to fire up together though!

It's weird isn't it playing it solo, after playing it co-op, it almost feels a little barren.Or it did for me anyway.  I don't know, Chris and Sheva chit-chat back and forth obviously, so there isn't any silence, but I missed my friend shouting CHRIS, OR SHEVAAAAAA to get me to open a door whilst I was randomly rummaging around for ammo or treasure, like an absent minded racoon. I'm very much one of those "ooooh a piece of candy" when I see something to pick up, kind of players xD

At least you played through most of it co-op though. 6-1 really is a pretty short walk until the end of the game.

That's a really Interesting point about it being seen as great if it had a different IP, there's quite a few games I feel that way about. Where that expectation put on it by being part of an established IP really doesn't work in its favour.

Thanks again man! I appreciate the kind words, as always!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Thanks man!

Don't feel like you need to hold off on the Resident Evil 5 review yourself man, it won't be the same as mine, and yours will be awesome. But if you aren't happy with where it's at right now, obviously do it when you feel comfortable, I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Oh I haven't even started, I've just been thinking about it a lot. After reading yours though, I was like "ooohh.... let's think a little bit more, shall we?" There were a few things you brought up that I wouldn't have, so I wanna make sure my critical thinking hat is on when I get to work on it!

Now, if I was a critical thinking hat, where would I be...

I've got to do the Resident Evil 6 one next after Patrick and I got that finished last night, got through that quicker than I expected in the end.

Nice! I was hoping that wouldn't drag on for too long?

I don't know if you remember, but you can get a suit of armour for Ashley, as an unlock, and that is so much weightier than her normal clothes (obviously haha 1f602.png).  It's really subtle in that when they have that tandem thing where Ashley drops down onto you from above - when she's wearing the armour, they put in this cool animation where Leon's knees buckle slightly, I love little attentions to detail like that. 

Yeah and she looks like Sir Lancelot n shit? I actually don't remember the buckling knees animation though, that's cool! I'm probably most looking forward to that playthrough, it's such a weight off your back to know that nothing's gonna happen to her!

It's weird isn't it playing it solo, after playing it co-op, it almost feels a little barren.Or it did for me anyway.  I don't know, Chris and Sheva chit-chat back and forth obviously, so there isn't any silence, but I missed my friend shouting CHRIS, OR SHEVAAAAAA to get me to open a door whilst I was randomly rummaging around for ammo or treasure, like an absent minded racoon. I'm very much one of those "ooooh a piece of candy" when I see something to pick up, kind of players xD

It really does! I remember playing the first chapter, getting adjusted to the controls and generally moving kind of slowly and my friend treating me to:

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

Bro that "ooh piece of candy" was a gag I wanted to make in a Hitman review and kicked myself for forgetting it! Naturally, it was in reference to the A.I. when you're trying to lure them with coins?

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy - Jesse and Celine

Before Sunset (2004)

"Let me sing you a Waltz, Out of nowhere, out of my thoughts"

before-sunset-wall.jpg

A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I loved the first two films (my dumb ass owns Midnight yet I still haven't watched it... I've got a mountain of movies like that, sadly) as well as their surprise segment in Waking Life. Building a film around just talking is such a difficult thing to do (much less just two people) and they pull it off with such grace and authenticity.

It's my understanding that the scripts are essentially Hawke and Delpy (that just made me picture this movie being advertised as an action flick with HAWKE and DELPY emblazoned on a gun metal poster with an exploding car or something) sitting with Richard Linklater and trying to figure out how these characters would act in these scenarios. Also the fact that the ten year gaps are deliberate blows my damn mind!

It isn't all about Ethan Hawke in that scene though - Julie Delpy is astoundingly good, the way she hesitantly reaches out her hand just to touch him once with so much sadness etched across her face, before ultimately deciding against it is incredibly powerful.

This was the first thing I thought of! Her reaction to his "No laughter in my house" bit is just such a sledgehammer of silent acting, in fact that whole car ride is (as you so eloquently described).

Takashi Shimura - Kanji Watanabe

Ikiru (1952)

92c8a402-5b35-4ca1-87f1-ed6488e23c54.jpg

Still need to watch this? don't know why I've been putting this off for as long as I have. Or Kurosawa for that matter, I'm only about four films deep into his filmography? Pretty sure I bought this one as well... I'll have a look, and if I haven't then I can remedy that!

Bette Davis - Gabriel Maple

The Petrified Forest (1936)

0*l37njfM-DwF13N-q.jpg

I actually hadn't even heard of this one! *takes note

Billy Bob Thornton - Karl Childers

Sling Blade (1996)

MV5BMTQ5Mzg2ODYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc1

I don't reckon I've got no reason to disagree with this one either!

Or kill nobody, for that matter. That's important too.

I remember when this one came out, everybody (at least stateside) was doing the whole MM-HMM thing so I assumed it supposed to be was a goofy type thing and didn't bother watching it for a long time... then when I finally did, it completely slapped me upside the head!

Fun Fact! I did start kicking around some ideas about writing a book about Sling Blade (similar to how Mark Kermode wrote one specifically about The Exorcist) - a sort of ultra-deep-dive analysis of the film's structure and it's overarching message, and I'm still unsure whether I ever want to properly go back to it or not.

Doo it! Doo it!

Seriously, that's so interesting - what made you back off of doing that?

I don't think that's an entirely fair or accurate description, but as Karl Childers, he's far less functional than Forrest Gump is for example. That doesn't stop the performance being amazing though. I truly think - and this is my opinion obviously, that he was robbed of the Best Actor Oscar for the 1996 Oscars. Don't get me wrong Geoffrey Rush killed it in Shine, but I think this just edges that out slightly.  Never mind, Billy Bob doesn't care, and I shouldn't either, right? 

Yo him him and Edward Norton!!

One thing I really appreciate about this performance is how much effort and research went into it on Thornton's part. I seem to remember from listening to the Director's commentary on the Blu Ray (yes I do that 1f602.png) that to get Karl's very specific lurching/lumbering walk that he put broken glass in his shoes. Got the idea for the haircut from seeing the old folks in a care home he used to work at I believe, as well as Karl's penchant for ending almost every sentence with an Mhmmmm, or "alright deeeen"

That's crazy... don't know why I'm surprised though, that clearly wasn't a role he went into without a great deal of thought!

Karl's voice must have absolutely knackered out his vocal chords, I like to do impressions from time to time - and I think I can do a pretty good Karl, but it really is a strain on the old vocal chords. I don't think I actually know anyone that has seen this film in my personal life, outside of my Dad - I don't think it did too well in the UK and certainly never gets put on TV. So every time a friend asks me if I want something to eat and I reply with "YA GOT ANY BISCUITS IN THERRRRE? In Karl's voice they usually just give me biscuits instead of asking where the voice is from.xD

"Uh yeah, here. Take the biscuits but for the love of God stop talking like that, you're frightening the children!"

I hope this wasn't too boring a read, I understand not everyone digs film quite as much as I do, nor should I expect you too. If you did manage to get all the way through, then thank you so much for your patience and time!

Never that! Outstanding work my dude??

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 2:55 AM, rjkclarke said:

Five Of My Favourite Acting Performances In Film

(Technically six, if you want to be pedantic haha 1f602.png)

Oh man - I came here to talk about RE5... but then you did this to me! ?

I'm also a massive fan of the Before trilogy (even the last one, @YaManSmevz - get it watched mate, its excellent!) but I also agree, Sunset is the best of the three. That final ending, with the "You are going to miss your flight" "I know" - it's magic.

Delphy is always fantastic - of course she is - but actually, I think Ethen Hawke is one of those actors that everyone knows, but he seems to get a little bit underrated - there's so many times he elevates a film - and he's one of those actors who not only appears in really good movies, but also in what should be mediocre ones, and elevates them.

So many times, he manages to take parts that could be relatively generic on paper, but just give a character a slight, very specific twist that would only work with that specific actor, and turns a fairly standard character into something more interesting or unique.

There really aren't too many actors like that - I think Joan Cusack is one, and Betty Gilpin, and certainly someone like Bill Nighy or Stephen Root or Mike Starr, but it's rare, and worth noting - and unusual in someone who is closer to "Movie Star" than "Character Actor", if you know what I mean?

Have you seen First Reformed by the way? That Hawke performance is outstanding - full disclosure, I actually didn't like the film the first time I watched it - I appreciated it, but didn't love it...

... but there was something about it that made me come back and watch it again... and now I've seen it like 7 times, and genuinely think it might eclipse Taxi Driver as Paul Schrader's best film! 

Also, curse you, you are making me seriously consider trying to power through the Star Wars movies to get to The Last Jedi now. Dammit! There's so many of them! ?

So, I ended up sitting, and trying to come up with my own favourite performances in a movie as a result of this... because of course I did ?

Mine would obviously change like the winds, but I think... I think... this would be my top 5 (today at least!):

Jack Lemmon - Glengarry Glen Ross

Bette Davis - Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here

Samantha Morton - Morvern Callar

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Punch Drunk Love

• Like 3

Sorry it's taken a little while to reply here, I knew I needed a decent amount of time to sit down and dedicate some time to actually replying to these two awesome replies!

On 06/03/2022 at 5:33 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Oh I haven't even started, I've just been thinking about it a lot. After reading yours though, I was like "ooohh.... let's think a little bit more, shall we?" There were a few things you brought up that I wouldn't have, so I wanna make sure my critical thinking hat is on when I get to work on it!

Now, if I was a critical thinking hat, where would I be...

Get to it when you get to it!  I'm very much looking forward to getting to read it though!

If I was a critical thinking hat, I don't know where I'd be, but I know what I'd look like. 

I'd look like this....

Hat1_small_medium2.jpg

I think they're called Chullo's? Or something like that, I've got one myself somewhere. This is what I'd be if I was a critical thinking hat, you'd be able to absent mindedly tug on the tassels when you're trying to think of the next point you wanted to make...... I bet you weren't expecting a serious answer, huh? ?

Nice! I was hoping that wouldn't drag on for too long1f604.png

Writing the review for Resident Evil 6 is dragging on though..... Haha, I have yet to even start it, but I'll probably do it after I've written this reply, get that foul smelling zombie monkey off my back xD

Yeah and she looks like Sir Lancelot n shit1f604.png I actually don't remember the buckling knees animation though, that's cool! I'm probably most looking forward to that playthrough, it's such a weight off your back to know that nothing's gonna happen to her!

Exactly! I'm pretty sure Leons knees buckle, could be my memory playing tricks though, It's going to make professional mode in that game once we both get to playing it a bit more breezy than it might have done without it,

that's for sure! Especially as she's so heavy the enemies can't pick her up either.

It really does! I remember playing the first chapter, getting adjusted to the controls and generally moving kind of slowly and my friend treating me to:

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

SHEVA.

Bro that "ooh piece of candy" was a gag I wanted to make in a Hitman review and kicked myself for forgetting it! Naturally, it was in reference to the A.I. when you're trying to lure them with coins1f602.png

That definitely can happen.... I was never the one shouting for the other player, usually the one slowing everything else down!

It totally is like that though in Hitman with the coins, every guard becomes James Woods..... I guess I can still fit that into my review of the recent Hitman games whenever I cover those. I still have one Hitman review in the bank so to speak, that I said I wouldn't put up until Copanele's played Blood Money.

A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I loved the first two films (my dumb ass owns Midnight yet I still haven't watched it... I've got a mountain of movies like that, sadly) as well as their surprise segment in Waking Life. Building a film around just talking is such a difficult thing to do (much less just two people) and they pull it off with such grace and authenticity.

Get and watch Midnight! As Doc said... It's really great. It's probably not what a lot of people expected it to be, but it's still excellent. I don't think it's even 2 hours long, so it's definitely one I'd recommend giving a try one of these days!

I kind of like how some of the bits and pieces from the Waking Life segment kind of play into a few of the story beats from Before Sunset, I thought that was a really neat touch.

This film would be pretty much tip-top as far as I'm concerned of some of the best written dialogue for film, when there is as much as there is in Before Sunset it has to feel natural, and I'm so glad it does.

It's my understanding that the scripts are essentially Hawke and Delpy (that just made me picture this movie being advertised as an action flick with HAWKE and DELPY emblazoned on a gun metal poster with an exploding car or something) sitting with Richard Linklater and trying to figure out how these characters would act in these scenarios. Also the fact that the ten year gaps are deliberate blows my damn mind!

I believe so yeah, although they didn't officially start getting credited for it until Before Sunset... from what I understand, the chance meeting that Linklater had with a lady that Before Sunrise is based on, was not a particularly romantic one. So it was Hawke and Delpy that injected that element into the film, as they thought it would make it more interesting.

I would still watch that Hawke and Delpy action flick by the way! How could you not? ? Celine interjects and saves the day from the people who "were fighting over pencils!" I love that line in the film, and the way she says Pencils.

The whole nine or ten years apart thing is really awesome isn't it. It's a big gamble too, I'm really happy that Boyhood turned out the way that it did, and that the kid actually grew up to be a pretty good actor. I had read a few rumblings over the last couple of years that they're planning a fourth one. I think it'll happen one day, but I think Linklater, Delpy and Hawke met up to discuss it a year or two back, and they couldn't all agree on an idea, all three of them are such integral parts of what makes those films so special, they have to find the right story to tell, and if they haven't found it yet, I'm more than happy to wait.

This was the first thing I thought of! Her reaction to his "No laughter in my house" bit is just such a sledgehammer of silent acting, in fact that whole car ride is (as you so eloquently described).

Yes, absolutely man!!! That's my favourite kind of acting, where it's all just done with subtle looks and expressions. That one really is heartbreaking too.

I could probably list off a bunch of quotes from that movie that I particularly like... but this one from Celine never fails to strike a chord with me.

" Even being alone it's better than sitting next to your lover and feeling lonely. "

That one hits pretty hard, I'm sure a fair few people can understand that feeling to some extent, and the way it just falls out of her, is really brutal.

Still need to watch this1f61f.png don't know why I've been putting this off for as long as I have. Or Kurosawa for that matter, I'm only about four films deep into his filmography1f62b.png Pretty sure I bought this one as well... I'll have a look, and if I haven't then I can remedy that!

I kind of regret throwing Ikiru on that list, because the minute I did, I was like..... now how do I talk about this without spoiling some of the films best moments? I'm going to cover that one in more detail in the future so I'll have to find a way, But that performance really is something very special.

There's a reason Kurosawa is probably my favourite film-maker of all time, and Ikiru is a huge part of that. If you do have it, definitely give it a watch. I can't promise it'd resonate with you the way that it did with me obviously. But I think that film quite literally caused me to change the way I approach life. So in a way you could call it life changing for me haha ?

The upside to being four films deep is that you still have an absolutely amazing list of his films out there, that will still be new to you! That my friend, is the most exciting part, I'll always be up for a little Kurosawa discussion if you go a bit deeper into them.

I actually hadn't even heard of this one! *takes note

It does not view like a film from 1936, I can say that much. It's incredibly briskly paced, fantastically acted and it's a real underrated gem I think.

It's a shame Leslie Howard got killed when his plane was shot down when he "may or may not have been spying" I have no doubt he would have become a huge star through the rest of the 40's and 50's at least. Hell of a good director too, so I expect he would have continued in that aspect of his career too.

I don't reckon I've got no reason to disagree with this one either!

Or kill nobody, for that matter. That's important too.

I remember when this one came out, everybody (at least stateside) was doing the whole MM-HMM thing so I assumed it supposed to be was a goofy type thing and didn't bother watching it for a long time... then when I finally did, it completely slapped me upside the head!

Damn near cleaved your head in two with a lawnmower blade mm-hmmm? xD

I can't remember how I ended up watching it to be honest. Even the people I studied with, were pretty much in the dark about Sling Blade. It seems like a lot of people over here just haven't really ever been exposed to it.

I did find out it got pretty big in the states though. Where far more people were aware of it.

That's the thing isn't it, it's the mm-hmm thing that would make most people think it's like a goofball comedy type of thing, instead of the dark deadly serious thing that it is. I think it would have put me off too.

It's got some really terrific acting in it hasn't it, not just from Thornton. Like Dwight Yoakam is so good, and  a real evil shit in that film.

But John Ritter? Funny man John Ritter, playing Vaughan the way that he does is just so impressive.... Again, go back to the silent acting thing you touched upon with Delpy, John Ritter excels at that throughout the whole film.

Doo it! Doo it!

Seriously, that's so interesting - what made you back off of doing that?

I think I kind of put it off because I thought it would take an obnoxiously long time, and nobody would want to read it, and about fifteen other different things.

I'd still like to do it though - when I think about it, the Mark Kermode book I referenced is less than 200 pages I think, and by now as far as reviewing games go, I've probably written close to that in just reviews I would have thought over the last year.

I'd love to do a really intricate deep dive into Sling Blade in book form, so I guess it's something I should just do anyway, right? Even if I thought nobody would read it, I'd still feel pretty happy to have done it.

Yo him him and Edward Norton!!

ooooooooh! Great shout dude! Edward Norton had a really killer 96 didn't he come to think of it, some real bangers for him that year.... I've got a friend who's really obsessed with his weird pregnancy belly that Ed Norton has in Birdman,once he told me about it I couldn't unsee it unfortunately.

Never that! Outstanding work my dude1f60e.png1f44a.png

Thanks so much man! For even bothering to read it.... I'm well aware those are probably much more fun for me to write than they are for people to read, so I really appreciate the feedback!

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man - I came here to talk about RE5... but then you did this to me! 1f602.png

Sorry......NOT SORRY - screw RE5  (even though you know I like it haha ?) let's talk about film instead haha!

I'm also a massive fan of the Before trilogy (even the last one, @YaManSmevz - get it watched mate, its excellent!) but I also agree, Sunset is the best of the three. That final ending, with the "You are going to miss your flight" "I know" - it's magic.

Delphy is always fantastic - of course she is - but actually, I think Ethen Hawke is one of those actors that everyone knows, but he seems to get a little bit underrated - there's so many times he elevates a film - and he's one of those actors who not only appears in really good movies, but also in what should be mediocre ones, and elevates them.

So many times, he manages to take parts that could be relatively generic on paper, but just give a character a slight, very specific twist that would only work with that specific actor, and turns a fairly standard character into something more interesting or unique.

There really aren't too many actors like that - I think Joan Cusack is one, and Betty Gilpin, and certainly someone like Bill Nighy or Stephen Root or Mike Starr, but it's rare, and worth noting - and unusual in someone who is closer to "Movie Star" than "Character Actor", if you know what I mean?

You can't really go too wrong with that trilogy. If Star Wars and Lord of the Rings didn't exist it'd probably be the trilogy I'm likely to rewatch the most in my lifetime. 

Although my Mum isn't super keen on the last one, but y'know Richard Linklater can't please everyone I suppose haha!

That's a really interesting point about Ethan Hawke - you're right too, everyone talks up Denzel Washington's performance in Training Day, but I think Ethan Hawke is just as good, if not better in that film. That was the first performance  that I thought of when I read your comment of "turns a fairly standard character into something more interesting or unique."

I loved your comparison to those other top notch actors too... Honestly mate, that is something I'd never really given all that much thought too, but he sort of is in that bracket isn't he.

Isn't it bad that when I think of Stephen Root I instantly just see him getting twatted straight in the head with a wrench?..... Or hear "L for Love...." "Th-that don't mean love....." "well, uhh, different signs,mean uhh different things to different people!"

Betty Gilpin is a great example too - especially in film, she does exactly what you said, she usually elevates a film just by her being in it... Don't you just wish she got a nicer film gig though? Her TV credentials are top notch, and she's had some real good parts where she's really at the forefront, but the film she gets, she's often either the best thing in it, or the film itself is not quite as good as it could have been.

Have you seen First Reformed by the way? That Hawke performance is outstanding - full disclosure, I actually didn't like the film the first time I watched it - I appreciated it, but didn't love it...

... but there was something about it that made me come back and watch it again... and now I've seen it like 7 times, and genuinely think it might eclipse Taxi Driver as Paul Schrader's best film! 

Also, curse you, you are making me seriously consider trying to power through the Star Wars movies to get to The Last Jedi now. Dammit! There's so many of them! 1f602.png

No I haven't seen First Reformed.... but now I feel like I should do! I'm sure I have that kicking around somewhere unwatched as well, but I'd have to check, not all of my DVD's and Blu Rays are in the same place now, when you have too many to fit easily in one room you know you have a problem right? xD

That is incredibly high praise though! So I'll have to give it a look, I'll let you know what I think of it, after I've probably watched it about seven times too ? I'm always up for more awesome Ethan Hawke performances!

Yeah there is a fair few Star Wars movies at this point ?...... The Last Jedi is a really odd one. It doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all - and I think that is part of the reason a lot of people don't take to it too well.

It feels like a Rian Johnson movie - and honestly, when I first heard he was directing, that was what I wanted it to be, but not what I expected. So if you like that sort of thing I think you'd probably appreciate the film for a similar reason to me.

and I never once expected to be highly praising Mark Hamill for acting, but he really does knock it out of the park in that film!

So, I ended up sitting, and trying to come up with my own favourite performances in a movie as a result of this... because of course I did 1f602.png

Mine would obviously change like the winds, but I think... I think... this would be my top 5 (today at least!):

Jack Lemmon - Glengarry Glen Ross

Bette Davis - Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here

Samantha Morton - Morvern Callar

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Punch Drunk Love

I was kind of hoping at least one of you might have slapped together a list, you didn't disappoint! I did think about writing a little "Let me know some of your favourites" at the end, but I was worried it'd come across like one of those youtubers that signs off with "don't forget to like,share and subscribe haha?"

It probably wouldn't have done in reality, I was just overthinking things.

This isn't a definitive top 5 for me, that's a little tougher to nail down, I'm sure I'll do another 5 at some point, and you'll probably give me another five that aren't the ones you listed there, but hey, that's no bad thing!

Those are some really cracking picks!

Kind of reminds me I need to watch Glengarry Glen Ross again. I almost put Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on here as well, that is one hell of a performance, scarily so. I could probably fill out 5 just of Bette Davis performances to be fair.

That is a brilliant shout for You Were Never Really Here. The minute Joaquin Phoenix did Walk the Line all those years ago he solidified himself as one of my favourite actors, but Christ, You Were Never Really Here is a real powerhouse  performance and a hell of a good film too. Nice to see two performances from Lynne Ramsay films on here too. 

I really love Morvern Callar as a film - Samantha Morton is so good in it - but I sort of have to almost view it with my hands covering my face, she just unsettles me so much in parts of that film, where I just feel so uncomfortable. Every aspect of that character she plays so brilliantly, but yeah - first time I saw that scene, before she..... let's just say takes a trip to the mountains, (you know the one)  that's - yeah that's a thing  ?

Of all the Phillip Seymour Hoffman performances I would never have guessed you'd pick out Punch Drunk Love.... I can absolutely see why though, I mean it's harder to find a dud performance by him. I think you and I have briefly spoken about it before but that is well up there amongst my favourite PTA films, but I never expected it would be before I sat down and watched it.

I don't know if you've seen 25th Hour? But Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives a really great understated performance in that one too!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Isn't it bad that when I think of Stephen Root I instantly just see him getting twatted straight in the head with a wrench?..... Or hear "L for Love...." "Th-that don't mean love....." "well, uhh, different signs,mean uhh different things to different people!"

hahaha, I know - his comedic turns in Dodgeball or Office Space are the stuff of legend (and I pretty much spent the first ten years of knowing who he was, calling him Jimmy James from News Radio!) though it’s almost impossible to marry those with his performances in Red State or No Country for Old Men - and actually, his character in the later seasons of The West Wing was a hell of a performance too!

14 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Betty Gilpin is a great example too - especially in film, she does exactly what you said, she usually elevates a film just by her being in it... Don't you just wish she got a nicer film gig though? Her TV credentials are top notch, and she's had some real good parts where she's really at the forefront, but the film she gets, she's often either the best thing in it, or the film itself is not quite as good as it could have been.

You know - that recent movie The Hunt isn’t actually good… but her performance is really something special I thought. So strange and off-kilter, it made a pretty mediocre movie kinda mesmerising whenever she was on screen!

19 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

That is a brilliant shout for You Were Never Really Here. The minute Joaquin Phoenix did Walk the Line all those years ago he solidifed himself as one of my favourite actors, but christ, You Were Never Really Here is a real powerhouse, performance and a hell of a good film too. Nice to see two performances from Lynne Ramsay films on here too. 

I know - Lynne Ramsey running away with it, but what can I say - she must have some magic dust when it comes to actors, because she coaxes out some fascinating performances!

I actually stick firmly to my opinion, that with Daniel Day Lewis seemingly retired now, Joaquin Pheonix is probably the best working actor of our age. Between The Master, Joker, You Were Never Really Here, Her and Inherent Vice, the dude seems to do no wrong. Hell, even his turns in Signs and 8mm were top notch, even if those movies flagged a bit elsewhere!

I really love Morvern Callar as a film - Samantha Morton is so good in it - but I sort of have to almost view it with my hands covering my face, she just unsettles me so much in parts of that film, where I just feel so uncomfortable. Every aspect of that character she plays so brilliantly, but yeah - first time I saw that scene, before she..... let's just say takes a trip to the mountains, (you know the one)  that's - yeah that's a thing  1f602.png

It’s such an unsettling film generally - but she is just putch fucking perfect in it - I felt like she was almost playing the character as bipolar - swinging from genuinely happy to fake happy, to genuinely sad to fake sad all the time, but every time she’s in a quiet moment, it’s more tense than most horror movies, not knowing what she is thinking or about to do!

Of all the Phillip Seymour Hoffman performances I would never have guessed you'd pick out Punch Drunk Love.... I can absolutely see why though, I mean it's harder to find a dud performance by him. I think you and I have briefly spoken about it before but that is well up there amongst my favourite PTA films, but I never expected it would be before I sat down and watched it.

Yeah, he’s a small part, but there’s something so specific about that character - like you only see him for a few scenes, but I feel like I know everything about his particular brand of sleaze completely - and it’s a type of sleaze rarely gotten right on film!

Hoffman was incredible pretty much al the time though - I rewatched The Master last week, and he’s something in that one too - yet you see him in something like Boogie Nights or Magnolia, and it’s like a completely different actor!

I don't know if you've seen 25th Hour? But Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives a really great understated performance in that one too!

You know - I saw that in theatres I think, but I need to revisit it, becuase that was during uni, when I would see everything, but usually a bit high ? It’s one of those films I remember liking, but not too many specifics, and I hear more and more people citing it as being much better than I think it got credit for back when it released. I’ve been on a bit of a Spike Lee kick of late (rewatched Do The Right Thing, Black Klansman and Da 5 Bloods all pretty recently) so I think I need to add that one to the rewatch pile!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

hahaha, I know - his comedic turns in Dodgeball or Office Space are the stuff of legend (and I pretty much spent the first ten years of knowing who he was, calling him Jimmy James from News Radio!) though it’s almost impossible to marry those with his performances in Red State or No Country for Old Men - and actually, his character in the later seasons of The West Wing was a hell of a performance too!

I always forget that he's even in No Country for Old Men, but then that's the mark of a real chameleon of an actor like him, to be perfectly honest. You know for my sins I don't think that I've ever seen a full episode of The West Wing. I'm pretty certain I'd probably enjoy it too, it's just one of those I've never gone out of my way to try and watch.

You know - that recent movie The Hunt isn’t actually good… but her performance is really something special I thought. So strange and off-kilter, it made a pretty mediocre movie kinda mesmerising whenever she was on screen!

Interesting! I might have to rethink giving that one a watch then. I just had a quick look at the runtime and it's only 90 minutes, so it isn't like it's expecting me to watch a Das Boot length film for one good performance ?

I know - Lynne Ramsey running away with it, but what can I say - she must have some magic dust when it comes to actors, because she coaxes out some fascinating performances!

I actually stick firmly to my opinion, that with Daniel Day Lewis seemingly retired now, Joaquin Pheonix is probably the best working actor of our age. Between The Master, Joker, You Were Never Really Here, Her and Inherent Vice, the dude seems to do no wrong. Hell, even his turns in Signs and 8mm were top notch, even if those movies flagged a bit elsewhere!

One of the weirdest things I can think of regarding Lynne Ramsey is that - her film adaptation of We Need to Talk About Kevin, is actually less dark, and horrifying than the book is. Kind of surprising considering some of her output. She does seem to have a real good knack for getting some very unique performances to shine through.

I doubt we've seen the last of Daniel Day Lewis, he's retired and un-retired quite a bit at this point. He's starting to get like a professional wrestler where you just expect him to come back again at some point.

I don't think I'd even try and  argue with that about Joaquin Phoenix either. I think what's really helped him in the years after his first "retirement" after Two Lovers (which I was pretty gutted about at the time, as he was my favourite actor,at the time,) was that he's gotten so many better roles since then. He had good ones before, but in things like We Own the Night and other films like that, he was often the best thing in them. Which I imagine he probably is in that absolute dreckfest (so I've heard ) Ladder 49 but as I've not seen it I can't really fairly judge it!

It’s such an unsettling film generally - but she is just putch fucking perfect in it - I felt like she was almost playing the character as bipolar - swinging from genuinely happy to fake happy, to genuinely sad to fake sad all the time, but every time she’s in a quiet moment, it’s more tense than most horror movies, not knowing what she is thinking or about to do!

She absolutely is! You kind of hit the nail on the head there - that film never lets you really relax for even a minute or two, whether it's that really tight specific cinematography, or the excellent score, or whatever the hell Morvern happens to be doing at that particular time, you can't help but feel on edge the whole time. I've seen that film quite a few times and even when I know what's happening I still feel that way,

Yeah, he’s a small part, but there’s something so specific about that character - like you only see him for a few scenes, but I feel like I know everything about his particular brand of sleaze completely - and it’s a type of sleaze rarely gotten right on film!

Hoffman was incredible pretty much al the time though - I rewatched The Master last week, and he’s something in that one too - yet you see him in something like Boogie Nights or Magnolia, and it’s like a completely different actor!

Absolutely man! Paul Dano plays that kind of sleaze quite well too, but Hoffman definitely stands out in what little he is in that film, so I love that that is the one you ended up going with for one of your picks.

Funny thing! One of my friends is not too dissimilar to Adam Sandler in that film - he does see the comparison too, and I could totally imagine he'd use that whole "I wanna smash it with a sledgehammer.and squeeze it" line. Strangely enough.

I can't actually think of a dud performance from Hoffman off the top of my head. He's even pretty strong in The Hunger Games movies, and usually an actor like him would usually phone it in, in those kinds of big franchise movies.

I wish I could unsee, seeing him in his pants in Boogie Nights though - that scared me more than the spindly armed Janitor from Little Nightmares!

Synechdoce, New York is one of my favourite Hoffman performances, one I ought to rewatch actually as I don't think I've seen it for a while. Same with The Master, now you've reminded me I should give that another look, I don't think I've seen it since about 2015.

You know - I saw that in theatres I think, but I need to revisit it, becuase that was during uni, when I would see everything, but usually a bit high 1f602.png It’s one of those films I remember liking, but not too many specifics, and I hear more and more people citing it as being much better than I think it got credit for back when it released. I’ve been on a bit of a Spike Lee kick of late (rewatched Do The Right Thing, Black Klansman and Da 5 Bloods all pretty recently) so I think I need to add that one to the rewatch pile!

It's a very interesting film,so I hope you do - for quite a few reasons. It shoots New York in a very specific and interesting way what with it being one of the first films that really deals with the after effects of 9/11 and all the impact that goes along with that. Great performance from Ed Norton in that one too, and a nice little small one from Brian Cox too.

That reminds me I need to watch Black Klansman and Da 5 Bloods, I've not seen either of them.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 4:13 PM, rjkclarke said:

I think if Magus was a Chrono Trigger spin-off then people would despise that game even more than they already do xD.

My god could you imagine that?! lol

Cheers man!

I'll take it as far as my motivation takes me I suppose - I must be fairly serious, as I've just gone and finished off the 100% for Resident Evil 5, which I'm hoping to have reviewed today, surprisingly it'll be the first Resident Evil game reviewed in here.

Unfortunately, I also decided to go back and tidy up Resident Evil 6, which will mean reviewing that too - I guess the upside is I'm getting the least favourable Resident Evil's out of the way first, then I'll just have the good ones to talk about, so swings and roundabouts xD

Singularity was really good yeah, glad you enjoyed it too - I just hated that there was a multiplayer component, but I want to actually discuss the game, which requires putting in a bit effort on my part, but hopefully it'll feel worth it, because I really dug that game!

If it stops being something I'm doing for enjoyment I'll just hit it on the head with a hammer and stop my little cleanup job I suppose haha - which is why I think you'll get to 66.66% pretty quickly if you attack a load of the games you really want to finish up or be playing. Although I'm not about to tell you how to play your own games, you've got to go at your own pace and all that.

Haha yes well that's a fair opinion on RE5 and RE6, though there are parts about it that are positive, at least in my eyes. I'm still waiting to get the Gold Edition of RE5 as a present so I can experience the DLC's as I have heard from ages ago that one of them is in the style of classic RE's and that they are good fun!

(BTW I've noticed the tags you've left for me for those RE reviews and obviously I appreciate it and will read them! ?)

Yes indeed, I think 66.66% will happen eventually for me and I'll be really proud of that tbh.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy's save system is just really short sighted, I tried not to focus too much on it in both of those reviews - but, yeah it really breaks up the fluidity of the game a bit. Especially in an older title, with a bit more trial and error, where you'll likely be saving a lot!

The whole thing of - you have a hard limit on the amount of saves you are allocated - with no in-game way of overwriting them or deleting them, is a really huge oversight. Having to literally stop playing the game - close the application - manually delete the saves - reopen it, and then continue is such a stupid process, when all you want to do is bask in the glory of that excellent gameplay, slice up stormtroopers left and right, and shower everyone in force lightning.

That's really the major problem with the save systems, but if you can look past that there's a great time to be had with those games.

Ah right I see, yeah I remember when playing them on PC that I was saving a lot so yeah that sounds like a really poor implemented save system for the PS4 versions sadly. Shame really.

As you should be!

I think you're due a break from guide writing for a little bit after the insane amount it sounds like you've put into this one.... Time for you to relax and do your thing, until you have the inevitable urge to get guide writing again xD

I'm looking forward to seeing what it is though, so it'll be an interesting surprise.

Well I absolutely 100% agree with you! I'm in the process of going through and checking the guide I've been working on now and it'll be submitted for review either today or tomorrow I'm hoping! Been reading one of my PLAY magazines (Had 3! Bloody magazine backlog to add to everything else lol) and tomorrow I'm going to start going through Concrete Genie and get back to earning those trophies! I'm looking forward to it!

Going to read those RE reviews of yours today, o and the guide I've written is a first in terms of type for me and is for one of my 3 fave franchises, so that narrows it down a bit for you lol :)

EDIT - Just submitted the guide now! Fingers crossed it is successful!

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 7:26 AM, rjkclarke said:

Resident Evil as a property has always been a franchise brimming with interesting characters, for both good and bad reasons. Even if you don’t end up liking them, you’ll surely end up remembering them. I’m looking directly at you, Creepy Steve from Code Veronica.

Haha! Knew you'd put in a reference there. Steve is always watching you. 

On 3/4/2022 at 7:26 AM, rjkclarke said:

Lost in Nightmare is a fantastic DLC – what it does, is keep the survival horror part of Resident Evil alive and well

That's the one I've been wanting to play for ages!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

let me just ask you all a question – does the Resident Evil 6 logo make you think of a Giraffe receiving oral sex from a dolphin?

lol WTF

Also fair play for those two reviews, very thorough and interesting as always. Agree with a fair amount of what you were saying and get the viewpoint, and the DLC reviews were especially intriguing as I've never been able to play eithers. 

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

My god could you imagine that?! lol

I can guarantee you more people would have the platinum for Magus if it was connected to Chrono Trigger though - some people just have a way of going for any trophies that relate to franchises they like.

I need to find where to draw that line myself - because Agents of Mayhem being connected to Saints Row is what got me to play that abomination. Yet, I won't touch a genuinely good game in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, just because I don't like where it fits into the Metal Gear timeline.:dunno:

8 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Haha yes well that's a fair opinion on RE5 and RE6, though there are parts about it that are positive, at least in my eyes. I'm still waiting to get the Gold Edition of RE5 as a present so I can experience the DLC's as I have heard from ages ago that one of them is in the style of classic RE's and that they are good fun!

If you can get the PS4 version of RE5 that comes bundled with all the DLC's too, and as I've said many times those single player DLC's are excellent.  RE6, also comes bundled with the DLC, but you know - as you've now read my thoughts on that one, I don't think I'd rush to recommend you play through all that DLC.

I think RE5 has plenty of positives, I genuinely do like that one quite a lot - whereas RE6, reviewing it probably made me like it even less. Oh dear! :hmm:

9 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Yes indeed, I think 66.66% will happen eventually for me and I'll be really proud of that tbh.

Try not to summon Lucifer in the process..... I heard that's his phone number xD....

I'm sure you'll get there though. Whilst we're sort of on the subject.  If I can manage to get Little Nightmares nailed down tonight I might be just about to hit 97%, but I'm not sure whether that'll happen or not, I'll see how alert and competent my reactions are after a long day haha!

9 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Well I absolutely 100% agree with you! I'm in the process of going through and checking the guide I've been working on now and it'll be submitted for review either today or tomorrow I'm hoping! Been reading one of my PLAY magazines (Had 3! Bloody magazine backlog to add to everything else lol) and tomorrow I'm going to start going through Concrete Genie and get back to earning those trophies! I'm looking forward to it!

EDIT - Just submitted the guide now! Fingers crossed it is successful!

Oh awesome! You'll have to let me know about Concrete Genie, that seems to always be on my "nah, not right now" list of games to play, whenever I give it a glancing thought, but I hope you have a good time with it.

Ouch man, a magazine backlog. Mind you, from what I remember from when I read PLAY back in the late 90's and early 2000's they were pretty hefty content heavy things, so you got decent bang for your buck!

I have an ever growing film backlog.  one that seems to grow every time we get into a film discussion in here, like a few of us did recently.

So it's a gameplay guide? And it's one of your three favourite franchises. My brain wants to rule out Sonic, as you just wrote one, so you might be Sonic'd out. Maybe a Triple Triad guide, for Final Fantasy VIII. A Blitzball guide? I wouldn't mind writing a triple triad one myself actually, but then I realise I'd have to cover all of the multiple rules in detail, and that makes my brain melt.

Whatever it is, I'm interested to find out!

Enjoy your well deserved gaming time though!

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Haha! Knew you'd put in a reference there. Steve is always watching you. 

He probably is xD - that's my problem. If he was real - and I woke up  I'd probably see him standing over me just heavily breathing with his hands in his trousers, it wouldn't surprise me, stroking my hair and pretending I'm Claire....

I guess he just really creeps me out. If they remake Code Veronica I really hope they wipe away the really dodgy unsettling incel vibe that he gives off.

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

That's the one I've been wanting to play for ages!

I'm pretty certain you'll love that Lost in Nightmares DLC it's pretty awesome. You'll really dig the layout for that particular Spencer Mansion too, it's slightly familiar but different enough to be overly familiar, so I think as a big long-time fan of the series, you'll really appreciate that.

2 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

lol WTF

Also fair play for those two reviews, very thorough and interesting as always. Agree with a fair amount of what you were saying and get the viewpoint, and the DLC reviews were especially intriguing as I've never been able to play eithers. 

I guess it's just me that thinks that about the logo then.... I literally can't see anything else whenever I look at it - I think it's hilarious too. Although the fact that is what I see at a glance, probably means some of my answers on a Rorschach test might be a little "out there" haha xD?

Thanks man!

I just read back the Resident Evil 6 review - and it's so all over the place - which I expected. I think it reads like me desperately trying to find things that are positives and then immediately being flooded by the negatives. I can't stand writing negatively, it's not natural to me at all, but when you have to, you have to.

I genuinely wanted to like Resident Evil 6, yet all I see, is what it could have been - then I get frustrated by what it is. But hey it's fine RE7 exists and is awesome, so no need to dwell on it, and Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 are also some real good ones. So we'll just think of RE6 as the bump in the road.

I'm glad you found those DLC bits intriguing - I always like to try and cover all aspects the game has to offer  if I can. I'm not going to do that with Warframe and Driveclub as they have enough DLC that I'd bust the word limit on the posts just trying to cover those, and be able to edit the post afterwards.

Getting those two RE's down is a good thing though! It means any Resident Evil I review going forward is going to be a pretty good one, judging by the ones I've already played.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I can guarantee you more people would have the platinum for Magus if it was connected to Chrono Trigger though - some people just have a way of going for any trophies that relate to franchises they like.

I need to find where to draw that line myself - because Agents of Mayhem being connected to Saints Row is what got me to play that abomination. Yet, I won't touch a genuinely good game in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, just because I don't like where it fits into the Metal Gear timeline.:dunno:

Can't argue with that. I've got the platinum for Magus as it was one I knew I could knock off within the 7 day free trial for PS Now back in the day. (Also used that to do the Toy Story Mania trophy guide!) Would have seem nicer in a way if connected to something better lol

Revengance is a good game I've got to say, had fun playing that but didn't care personally where it fell in the MG storyline. I just took it as an action film type game, have fun with it with mind switched off. Light entertainment, nothing more.

If you can get the PS4 version of RE5 that comes bundled with all the DLC's too, and as I've said many times those single player DLC's are excellent.  RE6, also comes bundled with the DLC, but you know - as you've now read my thoughts on that one, I don't think I'd rush to recommend you play through all that DLC.

I think RE5 has plenty of positives, I genuinely do like that one quite a lot - whereas RE6, reviewing it probably made me like it even less. Oh dear! :hmm:

My wife has already bought me the RE5 Gold Edition for PS3, she just hasnt given it to me yet lol one of these birthdays and christmas' I'll get it and be able to experience it. Didn't realise the PS4 versions of both had all the DLC's. I want to play RE5 again for the DLC's and will at some time, but with RE6 I might just play through again to get the platinum. I don't remember seeing that trophy list originally and it being an offline plat. 

Oh dear indeed! I haven't played either for a long time tbh, but from what I remember I liked RE6 more as for me it had moments like Leons campaign which were closer to the RE that I wanted and it seemed like they were trying. I also appreciated seeing Sherry again and the links between the campaigns. RE5 is probably a more cohesive experience and it had my favourite character in Jill in there, but it veered so far away from what I wanted a RE game to be, that it was really jarring. RE4 did that to some extent compared to the original 3 and CV, but 5 was on a whole other level.

Try not to summon Lucifer in the process..... I heard that's his phone number xD....

I'm sure you'll get there though. Whilst we're sort of on the subject.  If I can manage to get Little Nightmares nailed down tonight I might be just about to hit 97%, but I'm not sure whether that'll happen or not, I'll see how alert and competent my reactions are after a long day haha!

Haha yes, I will try my best. I'll get past it eventually haha

Heard that Little Nightmares and it's sequel are good games, and you are clearly a skilled gamer of course so I'm sure 97% will be yours soon!

Oh awesome! You'll have to let me know about Concrete Genie, that seems to always be on my "nah, not right now" list of games to play, whenever I give it a glancing thought, but I hope you have a good time with it.

Ouch man, a magazine backlog. Mind you, from what I remember from when I read PLAY back in the late 90's and early 2000's they were pretty hefty content heavy things, so you got decent bang for your buck!

I have an ever growing film backlog.  one that seems to grow every time we get into a film discussion in here, like a few of us did recently.

So it's a gameplay guide? And it's one of your three favourite franchises. My brain wants to rule out Sonic, as you just wrote one, so you might be Sonic'd out. Maybe a Triple Triad guide, for Final Fantasy VIII. A Blitzball guide? I wouldn't mind writing a triple triad one myself actually, but then I realise I'd have to cover all of the multiple rules in detail, and that makes my brain melt.

Whatever it is, I'm interested to find out!

Enjoy your well deserved gaming time though!

Yes I'm going to start playing that properly today. Was a PS Plus free game, but like with Horizon Chase Turbo I liked the look of that game before it because a PS Plus freebie, so that's always a good sign. I'll let you know what I think of it.

That's probably a different magazine? I'm not sure, PLAY that I was referring to is the new name for Official Playstation Magazine. They are usually around 110 pages long so I can go through them pretty quickly thankfully! lol

Yes, me thinks we all have massive film backlogs....

Sonic is ruled out yes. Enough Sonic writing for now lol Been thinking about doing a Triple Triad gameplay guide for FFVIII myself to be honest, think it would really add to the trophy guide already on the site, so hey maybe we will end up collaberating on that lol halve the workload hahah

You'll find out hopefully soon enough! :)

He probably is xD - that's my problem. If he was real - and I woke up  I'd probably see him standing over me just heavily breathing with his hands in his trousers, it wouldn't surprise me, stroking my hair and pretending I'm Claire....

I guess he just really creeps me out. If they remake Code Veronica I really hope they wipe away the really dodgy unsettling incel vibe that he gives off.

Haha

Sadly I don't think they ever will remake CV, but if they did considering what they did with 1, 2 and 3, I think they would tweak his character.

I'm pretty certain you'll love that Lost in Nightmares DLC it's pretty awesome. You'll really dig the layout for that particular Spencer Mansion too, it's slightly familiar but different enough to be overly familiar, so I think as a big long-time fan of the series, you'll really appreciate that.

Yes, definitely! Now if only my wife would just give me the game as mentioned earlier haha

I guess it's just me that thinks that about the logo then.... I literally can't see anything else whenever I look at it - I think it's hilarious too. Although the fact that is what I see at a glance, probably means some of my answers on a Rorschach test might be a little "out there" haha xD1f602.png

Thanks man!

I just read back the Resident Evil 6 review - and it's so all over the place - which I expected. I think it reads like me desperately trying to find things that are positives and then immediately being flooded by the negatives. I can't stand writing negatively, it's not natural to me at all, but when you have to, you have to.

I genuinely wanted to like Resident Evil 6, yet all I see, is what it could have been - then I get frustrated by what it is. But hey it's fine RE7 exists and is awesome, so no need to dwell on it, and Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 are also some real good ones. So we'll just think of RE6 as the bump in the road.

I'm glad you found those DLC bits intriguing - I always like to try and cover all aspects the game has to offer  if I can. I'm not going to do that with Warframe and Driveclub as they have enough DLC that I'd bust the word limit on the posts just trying to cover those, and be able to edit the post afterwards.

Getting those two RE's down is a good thing though! It means any Resident Evil I review going forward is going to be a pretty good one, judging by the ones I've already played.

Haha it;s certainly an interesting thought RE: the logo.

Yeah certainly RE6 is frustrating. The franchise really had a wobble around that time, and the two Revelations games certainly were a lot better. I'd love a 3rd one.

Looking forward to reading more as always!

Finally from me in this post-

Two games I'm interested in from last night's PS State of Play:

Seems intriguing

and.....

Definite purchase from me! Hope it has a platinum! Haven't ever played some of them and the other I haven't played in so many years! Bloody awesome! 

EDIT - Just found out they are doing a physical version! Even better!

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Can't argue with that. I've got the platinum for Magus as it was one I knew I could knock off within the 7 day free trial for PS Now back in the day. (Also used that to do the Toy Story Mania trophy guide!) Would have seem nicer in a way if connected to something better lol

Revengance is a good game I've got to say, had fun playing that but didn't care personally where it fell in the MG storyline. I just took it as an action film type game, have fun with it with mind switched off. Light entertainment, nothing more.

That's a pretty good use of that 7 day trial I'd say. I actually meant to review Magus last week, but I never got around to it, so maybe I might have to just get that over and done with. Especially as I have at least two pretty big games I want to cover coming up. One of which you'll probably be very interested in, but I'll say no more on that one.

I have no doubt that Revengeance is good.and I'm certainly glad you enjoyed it - I just don't think that I'll ever play it......  I'm depriving myself of a good game.... But when the entire thrust of the game "Cyborg Ninja Raiden" completely undermines one of the biggest plot elements of MGS4, I want to give it no attention at all. It's stubborn sure, but maybe I'll change my mind on it at some point.

My wife has already bought me the RE5 Gold Edition for PS3, she just hasnt given it to me yet lol one of these birthdays and christmas' I'll get it and be able to experience it. Didn't realise the PS4 versions of both had all the DLC's. I want to play RE5 again for the DLC's and will at some time, but with RE6 I might just play through again to get the platinum. I don't remember seeing that trophy list originally and it being an offline plat. 

You're a braver person than me for wanting to return to RE6. I was planning to replay RE6 for the review, but for better or worse I actually remembered enough about it to not have to bother. Hey it's another RE platinum for you though, you can't complain about that part.

Oh dear indeed! I haven't played either for a long time tbh, but from what I remember I liked RE6 more as for me it had moments like Leons campaign which were closer to the RE that I wanted and it seemed like they were trying. I also appreciated seeing Sherry again and the links between the campaigns. RE5 is probably a more cohesive experience and it had my favourite character in Jill in there, but it veered so far away from what I wanted a RE game to be, that it was really jarring. RE4 did that to some extent compared to the original 3 and CV, but 5 was on a whole other level.

That is actually very surprising... I totally respect your stance on that one though, but I can't say that isn't surprising to read. Especially as RE6 does far more to undermine it's survival horror roots than RE5 does, so I was definitely expecting your grievances to fall more with that one. That's very interesting.

Leon's campaign leaning into horror a bit more got exactly the reaction they wanted from you, for it to feel a little more like Reisdent Evil. Almost to take the sting away from every other thing,  almost literally feeling nothing like Resident Evil. The problem is, I think the fact they did it for one campaign, and one only was them just being a little shallow and going "see..... look LOOK, we are  still horror, PLEASE DON'T HATE US" 

I don't disagree that RE5 is quite the deviation - but 6 is a complete U-Turn into an entirely different genre for me.

Heard that Little Nightmares and it's sequel are good games, and you are clearly a skilled gamer of course so I'm sure 97% will be yours soon!

I don't if I'd call myself a skilled gamer ?..... Just a very persistent one, I usually just keep going until something happens xD

I expect the second Little Nightmares is also pretty awesome. I loved the first one, I'm going to start writing the review after I've replied to this. It turned out I didn't get to 97% though haha. After getting that trophy it was 96.98, never mind. I started Child of Light straight after so it immediately went down again haha!

Yes I'm going to start playing that properly today. Was a PS Plus free game, but like with Horizon Chase Turbo I liked the look of that game before it because a PS Plus freebie, so that's always a good sign. I'll let you know what I think of it.

That's probably a different magazine? I'm not sure, PLAY that I was referring to is the new name for Official Playstation Magazine. They are usually around 110 pages long so I can go through them pretty quickly thankfully! lol

That is always a nice bonus when a game you happen to be interested in already crops up on PSPlus I must say.

It could be a different magazine, I'm not sure. Back when I read it PLAY was the unofficial PlayStation magazine. So I really don't know, I haven't read any gaming magazines since about 2005 so I'm really out of the loop on that one haha! I suppose 110 pages is not to extreme. When you've got three of them to read that's a little more of an issue.

Yeah certainly RE6 is frustrating. The franchise really had a wobble around that time, and the two Revelations games certainly were a lot better. I'd love a 3rd one.

Looking forward to reading more as always!

Finally from me in this post-

Two games I'm interested in from last night's PS State of Play:

It sure did, but it seems in a pretty good place now - so alls well that ends well. I'm very interested in Revelations 3, I'm hoping what was in that leak last year wasn't just an idea they were thinking of and it ends up becoming something a bit more concrete.

Thanks by the way! You can be safe that the next thing on the review list Little Nightmares won't read negatively. Although it might be a bit long, that game has so much in it that is worth talking about.

On those two games - I don't know what to think about the DioField one. That gave me some real Final Fantasy Type-0 vibes from the story bits in the trailer.... I agree that it looks intriguing, that's a wait and see from me.

The TMNT one, I'll just say I'm happy that you're happy for that one. I've got no real experience with the show or the games particularly, I think I had the fighting one on the SNES and possibly another one, but that's one of those IP's that's always just gone over my head a little bit, just from never really experiencing it. It's cool that it seems to just be faithfully putting the games into a collection and leaving it like that. Sometimes that's all people are looking for, for a good time.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's a pretty good use of that 7 day trial I'd say. I actually meant to review Magus last week, but I never got around to it, so maybe I might have to just get that over and done with. Especially as I have at least two pretty big games I want to cover coming up. One of which you'll probably be very interested in, but I'll say no more on that one.

I have no doubt that Revengeance is good.and I'm certainly glad you enjoyed it - I just don't think that I'll ever play it......  I'm depriving myself of a good game.... But when the entire thrust of the game "Cyborg Ninja Raiden" completely undermines one of the biggest plot elements of MGS4, I want to give it no attention at all. It's stubborn sure, but maybe I'll change my mind on it at some point.

Looking forward to those reviews, but yes probably better to just get Magus out of the way. We both know the "quality" of that game.

That's a fair view, and I never was really too invested in MGS as a franchise overall so probably why I wasn't bothered in that context.

You're a braver person than me for wanting to return to RE6. I was planning to replay RE6 for the review, but for better or worse I actually remembered enough about it to not have to bother. Hey it's another RE platinum for you though, you can't complain about that part.

Well yeah I haven't got the platinum so would be great to have. My lack of platinums for FF, RE and Sonic don't really back up my claim of being a big fan of them all hahaha not that we should measure that on trophies of course

That is actually very surprising... I totally respect your stance on that one though, but I can't say that isn't surprising to read. Especially as RE6 does far more to undermine it's survival horror roots than RE5 does, so I was definitely expecting your grievances to fall more with that one. That's very interesting.

Leon's campaign leaning into horror a bit more got exactly the reaction they wanted from you, for it to feel a little more like Reisdent Evil. Almost to take the sting away from every other thing,  almost literally feeling nothing like Resident Evil. The problem is, I think the fact they did it for one campaign, and one only was them just being a little shallow and going "see..... look LOOK, we are  still horror, PLEASE DON'T HATE US" 

I don't disagree that RE5 is quite the deviation - but 6 is a complete U-Turn into an entirely different genre for me.

O no I totally get that the rest of the campaigns didn't feel like RE at all. Certainly, playing Chris' just felt like a continuation of 5 for me and Wesker's son was definitely it's own thing, but the Leon campaign and the interconnecting story was enough for me personally to have it over 5. Not by much, but by a little bit. Either way the PS3 had a weird time with RE games lol Still had fun with both, but the PS1 classics they were most certainly not.

I get your viewpoint though, and I think it is an interesting debate. 

I don't if I'd call myself a skilled gamer 1f602.png..... Just a very persistent one, I usually just keep going until something happens xD

I expect the second Little Nightmares is also pretty awesome. I loved the first one, I'm going to start writing the review after I've replied to this. It turned out I didn't get to 97% though haha. After getting that trophy it was 96.98, never mind. I started Child of Light straight after so it immediately went down again haha!

Isn't persistence a skill in itself? Lots of people give up on games when the going gets too tough or frustrating for them, and with that percentage and the types of games you play, clearly you are not one of them so it's impressive.

Haha o sorry. Yeah it's annoying when you are progressing upwards with completion percentage, then you end up starting a new game and take that immediate percentage hit lol

That is always a nice bonus when a game you happen to be interested in already crops up on PSPlus I must say.

It could be a different magazine, I'm not sure. Back when I read it PLAY was the unofficial PlayStation magazine. So I really don't know, I haven't read any gaming magazines since about 2005 so I'm really out of the loop on that one haha! I suppose 110 pages is not to extreme. When you've got three of them to read that's a little more of an issue.

Absolutely. Need to get the value from PS Plus, which isn't too hard but when most of the games that come on it I don't play, need to make sure and enjoy the ones I do.

Maybe they took the name as they had the rights? Or it was an homage to that previous mag? I don't know. 

Well I'm down to 1 and a half mags now so we are getting through them lol reading about Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin.

"When you've got three of them to read that's a little more of an issue." - That's a nice pun right there.

It sure did, but it seems in a pretty good place now - so alls well that ends well. I'm very interested in Revelations 3, I'm hoping what was in that leak last year wasn't just an idea they were thinking of and it ends up becoming something a bit more concrete.

Thanks by the way! You can be safe that the next thing on the review list Little Nightmares won't read negatively. Although it might be a bit long, that game has so much in it that is worth talking about.

On those two games - I don't know what to think about the DioField one. That gave me some real Final Fantasy Type-0 vibes from the story bits in the trailer.... I agree that it looks intriguing, that's a wait and see from me.

The TMNT one, I'll just say I'm happy that you're happy for that one. I've got no real experience with the show or the games particularly, I think I had the fighting one on the SNES and possibly another one, but that's one of those IP's that's always just gone over my head a little bit, just from never really experiencing it. It's cool that it seems to just be faithfully putting the games into a collection and leaving it like that. Sometimes that's all people are looking for, for a good time.

Yes RE Rev 3 would be a good game to look forward to. Think there is more chance of it than CV Remake.

Always said that people appreciate the detail you go into with your reviews man.

Yeah indeed the Diofield game is a wait and see from me too, just looked intriguing but I'm never 100% sure if I'll like that type of gameplay. Could be a winner, we will see.

That's fair enough, yeah I'm really looking forward to it. Those games (The ones I played at least) are classics so will be loads of fun to play again, and with the wife too! haha

Konami doing something right for once? Shocker lol (Waits for them to screw it up)

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:05 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Ooooooh...

On 3/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, rjkclarke said:

If I was a critical thinking hat, I don't know where I'd be, but I know what I'd look like. 

I'd look like this....

Hat1_small_medium2.jpg

I think they're called Chullo's? Or something like that, I've got one myself somewhere. This is what I'd be if I was a critical thinking hat, you'd be able to absent mindedly tug on the tassels when you're trying to think of the next point you wanted to make...... I bet you weren't expecting a serious answer, huh? 1f602.png

I can dig it? the closest I have to that is a trapper hat, which I always pack when we go someplace cold, it's outstanding. Wait.. I pick it because I think about the weather... shit, it's working before I even put it on, good call!

It totally is like that though in Hitman with the coins, every guard becomes James Woods..... I guess I can still fit that into my review of the recent Hitman games whenever I cover those. I still have one Hitman review in the bank so to speak, that I said I wouldn't put up until Copanele's played Blood Money.

Do it! Be better than me?

Get and watch Midnight! As Doc said... It's really great. It's probably not what a lot of people expected it to be, but it's still excellent. I don't think it's even 2 hours long, so it's definitely one I'd recommend giving a try one of these days!

i-must-finish-4e5b69e7ba.jpg

I believe so yeah, although they didn't officially start getting credited for it until Before Sunset... from what I understand, the chance meeting that Linklater had with a lady that Before Sunrise is based on, was not a particularly romantic one. So it was Hawke and Delpy that injected that element into the film, as they thought it would make it more interesting.

Now I picture Linklater initially pitching it to them like "let's write a script about this time I went to Europe and met this hot chick. I totally scored bro, up top Ethan!! ...Ethan?"

The whole nine or ten years apart thing is really awesome isn't it. It's a big gamble too, I'm really happy that Boyhood turned out the way that it did, and that the kid actually grew up to be a pretty good actor. I had read a few rumblings over the last couple of years that they're planning a fourth one. I think it'll happen one day, but I think Linklater, Delpy and Hawke met up to discuss it a year or two back, and they couldn't all agree on an idea, all three of them are such integral parts of what makes those films so special, they have to find the right story to tell, and if they haven't found it yet, I'm more than happy to wait.

Boyhood is one of those I've been debating whether or not I really want to watch. I couldn't tell you the source of my hesitation, but for whatever reason it hangs about whenever I think of it!

We've still got a few years before they're due for another... and another few decades before they put out the one in a retirement home that plays out like The Notebook?

I could probably list off a bunch of quotes from that movie that I particularly like... but this one from Celine never fails to strike a chord with me.

" Even being alone it's better than sitting next to your lover and feeling lonely. "

That one hits pretty hard, I'm sure a fair few people can understand that feeling to some extent, and the way it just falls out of her, is really brutal.

I really enjoyed how organically they go from being excited to see each other to catching up with genuine interest and marveling at how much they still enjoy each other's company to finally dropping all of these chestnuts about how they really been feelin. Finding out what really happened when they were supposed to meet up again was ??. I also liked how they called out their younger selves for thinking themselves too deep to do something as practical as exchange phone numbers?

There's a reason Kurosawa is probably my favourite film-maker of all time, and Ikiru is a huge part of that. If you do have it, definitely give it a watch. I can't promise it'd resonate with you the way that it did with me obviously. But I think that film quite literally caused me to change the way I approach life. So in a way you could call it life changing for me haha 1f602.png

The upside to being four films deep is that you still have an absolutely amazing list of his films out there, that will still be new to you! That my friend, is the most exciting part, I'll always be up for a little Kurosawa discussion if you go a bit deeper into them.

I've been aware of Kurosawa forever, but the first one I saw was Throne of Blood on IFC and I remember being genuinely taken aback at how enraptured it had me. I was pretty fresh out of high school (i.e. mandatory Macbeth) so I didn't expect to fall in love with it as much as I did. Isuzu Yamada fucking destroyed as Lady Macbeth, full stop. Since then I've seen Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress, and Seven Samurai, all of which were outstanding... Ikiru really needs to come next!

It does not view like a film from 1936, I can say that much. It's incredibly briskly paced, fantastically acted and it's a real underrated gem I think.

It's a shame Leslie Howard got killed when his plane was shot down when he "may or may not have been spying" I have no doubt he would have become a huge star through the rest of the 40's and 50's at least. Hell of a good director too, so I expect he would have continued in that aspect of his career too.

Adding this to the wishlist before I forget!

That's the thing isn't it, it's the mm-hmm thing that would make most people think it's like a goofball comedy type of thing, instead of the dark deadly serious thing that it is. I think it would have put me off too.

It's got some really terrific acting in it hasn't it, not just from Thornton. Like Dwight Yoakam is so good, and  a real evil shit in that film.

But John Ritter? Funny man John Ritter, playing Vaughan the way that he does is just so impressive.... Again, go back to the silent acting thing you touched upon with Delpy, John Ritter excels at that throughout the whole film.

John Ritter was excellent, although I guess I kinda grew up watching him so although it was a dramatic turn, he still felt like the kind, gentle soul he always came across as underneath the silliness. It's hard to explain. I was genuinely shocked by Yoakam's performance though, he did that violent abusive role almost too well!

I think I kind of put it off because I thought it would take an obnoxiously long time, and nobody would want to read it, and about fifteen other different things.

I'd still like to do it though - when I think about it, the Mark Kermode book I referenced is less than 200 pages I think, and by now as far as reviewing games go, I've probably written close to that in just reviews I would have thought over the last year.

I'd love to do a really intricate deep dive into Sling Blade in book form, so I guess it's something I should just do anyway, right? Even if I thought nobody would read it, I'd still feel pretty happy to have done it.

I was gonna say that but you beat me to it!

ooooooooh! Great shout dude! Edward Norton had a really killer 96 didn't he come to think of it, some real bangers for him that year.... I've got a friend who's really obsessed with his weird pregnancy belly that Ed Norton has in Birdman,once he told me about it I couldn't unsee it unfortunately.

Yup! People Vs. Larry Flint and Primal Fear, for which he got a Best Supporting Actor nod. Imagine getting that for your feature film debut....

...only to end up with a weird pregnancy belly?

On 3/10/2022 at 1:34 AM, The_Kopite said:

and.....

Definite purchase from me! Hope it has a platinum! Haven't ever played some of them and the other I haven't played in so many years! Bloody awesome! 

EDIT - Just found out they are doing a physical version! Even better!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

• Like 2

On 11/03/2022 at 7:33 AM, The_Kopite said:

Well yeah I haven't got the platinum so would be great to have. My lack of platinums for FF, RE and Sonic don't really back up my claim of being a big fan of them all hahaha not that we should measure that on trophies of course

Resident Evil 6 is one more that's for sure. So that'd be something positive to take away from it haha! If you set your mind to it then you'll have a few more soon.  As you say, it isn't really quantifiable to measure your love for a series on the amount of trophies you have in it. I don't do stacking, so I'd be screwed on that front anyway (no Shadow of the Colossus doesn't count ? those are different games..... technically :lol:),

I kind of feel like I need to fill in a few more Final Fantasy platinum's as it goes, there's still a couple of gaping holes I should fill in, like Final Fantasy XII which is one I really like.

O no I totally get that the rest of the campaigns didn't feel like RE at all. Certainly, playing Chris' just felt like a continuation of 5 for me and Wesker's son was definitely it's own thing, but the Leon campaign and the interconnecting story was enough for me personally to have it over 5. Not by much, but by a little bit. Either way the PS3 had a weird time with RE games lol Still had fun with both, but the PS1 classics they were most certainly not.

I get your viewpoint though, and I think it is an interesting debate. 

I had written a fairly long-ish bit about Chris' campaign in that RE6 review, but I ended up cutting it, as it just felt too negative. I really don't like that one, outside of the stuff with Piers, which I thought was an interesting direction. Chris is at his most dumb and useless, he's essentially just being babysat. The whole time.

The Resident Evil series did have a real stutter on the PS3 generation. You've got RE5,RE6 and RE: Operation Racoon City, which are the hardly the biggest highlights of the series.

Isn't persistence a skill in itself? Lots of people give up on games when the going gets too tough or frustrating for them, and with that percentage and the types of games you play, clearly you are not one of them so it's impressive.

Well thanks - I appreciate that, I'm usually too stubborn to let a video game get the better of me. Persistent stubbornness haha!

Haha o sorry. Yeah it's annoying when you are progressing upwards with completion percentage, then you end up starting a new game and take that immediate percentage hit lol

It can be a bit disheartening I guess - it's also why even if I could have 100% completion, I wouldn't dwell on it too much, because every new game you start is going to instantly knock your completion down anyway.

I'm too laid back to worry about it - but fair play to those that do, some of them show some mad impressive dedication to maintaining that.

Yes RE Rev 3 would be a good game to look forward to. Think there is more chance of it than CV Remake.

Always said that people appreciate the detail you go into with your reviews man.

Yeah indeed the Diofield game is a wait and see from me too, just looked intriguing but I'm never 100% sure if I'll like that type of gameplay. Could be a winner, we will see.

That's fair enough, yeah I'm really looking forward to it. Those games (The ones I played at least) are classics so will be loads of fun to play again, and with the wife too! haha

Konami doing something right for once? Shocker lol (Waits for them to screw it up)

Fingers crossed on that one! You and I would probably be around the front of the line of people that want a Revelations 3, I don't think we're the minority, but I think that little side series deserves more love. It'll get plenty from me when I come to review it, though. I'm still hoping for that CV Steveless Edition...... NOW WITH EVEN LESS CREEPY INCEL VIBES!..... and far less.......FAAAAAAATHER!

Ok I'll shut up about him for this post xD

And I appreciate you saying that - speaking of reviews, I should have that Little Nightmares one out soon, just going through some late changes and the odd edit.

We're actually very much on the same page about Diofield then, because the minute I saw the gameplay and I was like.... Homer Simpson walking backwards through the hedge, I'm not saying I won't like the gameplay either, much like you, I'm just not convinced I will like it. Bit of an odd one.

Speaking of games to enjoy with your wife - I might have a suggestion for that in Child of Light. I'll probably have finished that by tonight, so I'll probably be reviewing it soon, I really think you'd dig that game. It's got some lite-co-op elements too, so you could potentially play that with your wife, if you wanted to. I know turn based RPG's are right up your alley, the only kicker that might put you off is that it doesn't have a platinum, just a 100% list.

. Must be a blue moon if Konami are doing something right.

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I can dig it1f643.png the closest I have to that is a trapper hat, which I always pack when we go someplace cold, it's outstanding. Wait.. I pick it because I think about the weather... shit, it's working before I even put it on, good call!

I'd quite like one of those, they do look outstanding - I've actually got a pretty varied collection of hats I've picked up over the years haha...... and yeah, I'd love one of those for looking awesome treacherous weather ?

Now I picture Linklater initially pitching it to them like "let's write a script about this time I went to Europe and met this hot chick. I totally scored bro, up top Ethan!! ...Ethan?"

And Delpy just rolls her eyes despondently haha

It must be a bit weird now for Richard Linklater, because the lady that he did meet died not very long after they'd met, but he didn't find out until about 2010 from what I've read. In a way it's probably a little less painful that it wasn't a particularly romantic meeting, and more of a meeting of minds. Might have been a pretty devastating thing to find out otherwise.

Boyhood is one of those I've been debating whether or not I really want to watch. I couldn't tell you the source of my hesitation, but for whatever reason it hangs about whenever I think of it!

We've still got a few years before they're due for another... and another few decades before they put out the one in a retirement home that plays out like The Notebook?

Boyhood is a funny one - I think on a conceptual level it's brilliant, as is its execution. It's one of those things (or at least it was for me) where you can get a little caught up whilst your watching it in how amazing the film-making process was, and sort of lose focus on what's actually going on.

For what it's worth I really like Boyhood, I'm a big fan of Linklater and I'd put that pretty high on my rankings of his films. Patricia Arquette is wonderful in Boyhood as well, really good performance, genius casting too, how did they know how much that kid would grow up to look like Ethan Hawke. His Dad in the film.

22boyhood_ss-slide-GZI6-jumbo.jpg

There's a few times in the film where you have to double take and remember you aren't looking at Ethan Hawke from the mid 90's haha

I don't know that I want to see Before Bedpans...... I wouldn't be surprised to see it though! Nobody needs to see Jesse and Celine in an old folks home, reminiscing about their times in Vienna and Paris.

I really enjoyed how organically they go from being excited to see each other to catching up with genuine interest and marveling at how much they still enjoy each other's company to finally dropping all of these chestnuts about how they really been feelin. Finding out what really happened when they were supposed to meet up again was 1f52a.png?. I also liked how they called out their younger selves for thinking themselves too deep to do something as practical as exchange phone numbers?

"ooooooh God, why weren't you there, that day."

It's so fascinating the way that film progresses, exactly like you say it's really great seeing it all organically unfold. Going from sort of cautious small-talk, to BAM straight back to where they were, the same people but with more maturity.

I have seen it so many times, and it is one of the films where I find it so easy to rewatch, which to be honest is actually fairly unusual for me, I usually try and see as many new things as possible, but this one in particular I just never seem to tire of. Before Sunset would definitely be a Desert Island Film for me.

I've been aware of Kurosawa forever, but the first one I saw was Throne of Blood on IFC and I remember being genuinely taken aback at how enraptured it had me. I was pretty fresh out of high school (i.e. mandatory Macbeth) so I didn't expect to fall in love with it as much as I did. Isuzu Yamada fucking destroyed as Lady Macbeth, full stop. Since then I've seen Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress, and Seven Samurai, all of which were outstanding... Ikiru really needs to come next!

Oh that's a great starting point, so many good ones already, and great ones you've yet to see! Kurosawa has a really blatant love for Shakespeare, but it never quite comes off in a derivative way, he usually always found a way to put his own unique spin on things. The lead actor from Ikiru plays the Macduff equivalent in Throne of Blood, hell of an actor he was too!

It's interesting you've seen Hidden Fortress, I don't know all too many people that have watched that one. I like that one a lot myself, superbly well shot in places too.  That's  one of the biggest inspirations for the original Star Wars film. Strange how that ended up happening. 

I think Kagemusha was the first one I remember watching. I reckon you'll really dig Rashomon if you ever get to watching that one, that one had such unique storytelling for its time and its influence on cinema has been ridiculously far reaching it would turn out.

John Ritter was excellent, although I guess I kinda grew up watching him so although it was a dramatic turn, he still felt like the kind, gentle soul he always came across as underneath the silliness. It's hard to explain. I was genuinely shocked by Yoakam's performance though, he did that violent abusive role almost too well!

That's a good point actually - I'd only really seen him in Sling Blade and Bad Santa and a few episodes here and there of 8 Simple Rules, and for his awesome guest spots in Scrubs that he did. So he wasn't like a big household name for us in the UK, but I thought he was great in the things that I've seen him in. 

Yup! People Vs. Larry Flint and Primal Fear, for which he got a Best Supporting Actor nod. Imagine getting that for your feature film debut....

...only to end up with a weird pregnancy belly1f614.png

We're probably all going to end up with a weird pregnancy belly eventually :lol:.... That is pretty insane actually, a Best Supporting Actor nod for your first time out. Some people don't get nominated ever, so to get one first try is definitely a nice bit of Kudos. That reminds me, I haven't actually watched either of those films for a really long time. I actually meant to watch People Vs Larry Flint again when we all had a Milos Forman discussion in here a couple of months back, but I never got around to it, I ought to do that really!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

It must be a bit weird now for Richard Linklater, because the lady that he did meet died not very long after they'd met, but he didn't find out until about 2010 from what I've read. In a way it's probably a little less painful that it wasn't a particularly romantic meeting, and more of a meeting of minds. Might have been a pretty devastating thing to find out otherwise.

Oh fuck! That's really heavy. I wonder how he found out. You may have given me some deep diving material...

"Oh God, why weren't you there that day..."

"Uh cuz I died, asshole."

Boyhood is a funny one - I think on a conceptual level it's brilliant, as is its execution. It's one of those things (or at least it was for me) where you can get a little caught up whilst your watching it in how amazing the film-making process was, and sort of lose focus on what's actually going on.

For what it's worth I really like Boyhood, I'm a big fan of Linklater and I'd put that pretty high on my rankings of his films. Patricia Arquette is wonderful in Boyhood as well, really good performance, genius casting too, how did they know how much that kid would grow up to look like Ethan Hawke. His Dad in the film.

22boyhood_ss-slide-GZI6-jumbo.jpg

Oh wow, I'd feel like I was looking at Hawke's Reality Bites stunt double if such a thing had existed?

I think it's actually because of Boyhood's brilliant concept that I shied away from it, I was worried it would feel too gimmicky, or that like you said, I would be too dazzled by how the film was made to just pay attention to the plot (however odd all that may seem coming from someone who enjoyed Waking Life).

I don't know that I want to see Before Bedpans...... I wouldn't be surprised to see it though! Nobody needs to see Jesse and Celine in an old folks home, reminiscing about their times in Vienna and Paris.

I was thinking Before Medication Time, but I think I like yours better!

It's interesting you've seen Hidden Fortress, I don't know all too many people that have watched that one. I like that one a lot myself, superbly well shot in places too.  That's  one of the biggest inspirations for the original Star Wars film. Strange how that ended up happening. 

I think Kagemusha was the first one I remember watching. I reckon you'll really dig Rashomon if you ever get to watching that one, that one had such unique storytelling for its time and its influence on cinema has been ridiculously far reaching it would turn out.

Hidden Fortress was the first Kurosawa film I bought - my local video rental store was gradually selling their stock as that whole style of business was on its way out, and when I saw it on sale I just shrugged and grabbed it (eventually copped Seven Samurai from that same place as well). Glad I did, it's kind of a wild movie, I wasn't expecting that! 

I actually meant to watch People Vs Larry Flint again when we all had a Milos Forman discussion in here a couple of months back, but I never got around to it, I ought to do that really!

I'd like to slap that on too! I haven't seen it since maybe the early 00s or something like that, could do with a refresher!

On 3/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #205

Resident Evil 6 (PS4)

L322e5c.png

I meant to comment on this, great work on your review of 6! It does however rectify my decision to leave this game be indefinitely.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, rjkclarke said:

Before we get into this review properly, let me just ask you all a question – does the Resident Evil 6 logo make you think of a Giraffe receiving oral sex from a dolphin? It might just be me, but that’s always been what I’ve thought of whenever I’ve seen that logo.

Aww man... they even got a little dick there and everything?

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Little Nightmares (PS4)

L761f4e.png

Excellent! Yet another bump up in the backlog it gets.. between you, Doc, and Sabbath, I have full confidence that it's gonna be a great time?

• Like 1

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

Ohhhhh yeah! Interested in it?

20 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Resident Evil 6 is one more that's for sure. So that'd be something positive to take away from it haha! If you set your mind to it then you'll have a few more soon.  As you say, it isn't really quantifiable to measure your love for a series on the amount of trophies you have in it. I don't do stacking, so I'd be screwed on that front anyway (no Shadow of the Colossus doesn't count 1f602.png those are different games..... technically :lol:),

I kind of feel like I need to fill in a few more Final Fantasy platinum's as it goes, there's still a couple of gaping holes I should fill in, like Final Fantasy XII which is one I really like.

Haha that's very true. Well I found my copy of RE0 so I will try for that platinum again at some point, and found some others too like Dissidia FF and Sonic Unleased so more of those games will be getting added though as for platinums, we will see how I do lol

No I know, it was just a joke but I know some do view it that way which is fine for them.

I've got to get back to FFXII at some point, got both steelbooks and they are very cool! 

I had written a fairly long-ish bit about Chris' campaign in that RE6 review, but I ended up cutting it, as it just felt too negative. I really don't like that one, outside of the stuff with Piers, which I thought was an interesting direction. Chris is at his most dumb and useless, he's essentially just being babysat. The whole time.

The Resident Evil series did have a real stutter on the PS3 generation. You've got RE5,RE6 and RE: Operation Racoon City, which are the hardly the biggest highlights of the series.

Yes, Chris can be a great character and has his place in RE lore obviously, but sometimes they've written him very poorly indeed. Capcom's fault.

Yes, the saving graces for RE on the PS3 were the 2 Revelations (though I played the 2nd one on PS4 but still). Haven't played Operation Raccoon City (don't even have it in the collection at the mo) but didn't hear the best things about it.

It can be a bit disheartening I guess - it's also why even if I could have 100% completion, I wouldn't dwell on it too much, because every new game you start is going to instantly knock your completion down anyway.

I'm too laid back to worry about it - but fair play to those that do, some of them show some mad impressive dedication to maintaining that.

O yes most definitely!

Fingers crossed on that one! You and I would probably be around the front of the line of people that want a Revelations 3, I don't think we're the minority, but I think that little side series deserves more love. It'll get plenty from me when I come to review it, though. I'm still hoping for that CV Steveless Edition...... NOW WITH EVEN LESS CREEPY INCEL VIBES!..... and far less.......FAAAAAAATHER!

Ok I'll shut up about him for this post xD

And I appreciate you saying that - speaking of reviews, I should have that Little Nightmares one out soon, just going through some late changes and the odd edit.

We're actually very much on the same page about Diofield then, because the minute I saw the gameplay and I was like.... Homer Simpson walking backwards through the hedge, I'm not saying I won't like the gameplay either, much like you, I'm just not convinced I will like it. Bit of an odd one.

Speaking of games to enjoy with your wife - I might have a suggestion for that in Child of Light. I'll probably have finished that by tonight, so I'll probably be reviewing it soon, I really think you'd dig that game. It's got some lite-co-op elements too, so you could potentially play that with your wife, if you wanted to. I know turn based RPG's are right up your alley, the only kicker that might put you off is that it doesn't have a platinum, just a 100% list.

. Must be a blue moon if Konami are doing something right.

No we are definitely not in the minority. There is definitely a lot of people who want a Revelations 3 from what I've seen around the internet. Would sell really well. Knowing our luck, Capcom would do it but make it a Switch exclusive.

lol keep dreaming for that CV version haha

Yes just saw the Little Nightmares review, keep up the great work!

Yeah indeed, like the rest of it (aesthetics, story bits, the map part) seem really intriguing but the gameplay, well yeah I'm on the fence. If I like it, it should all click and be really good, if not then I'll most likely leave it.

I've heard of Child of Light. Thought I might have played it back in the day even. Apparently that was Child of Eden lol yes I think I was put off a bit by the fact it had a 100% only, but I've heard very good things about it and to be fair, I didn't realise it was co-op, but that's more interested. Turn Based too!

Indeed, but hey a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day, so must been one of those times for Konami, for me at least haha

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Ohhhhh yeah! Interested in it?

Hell yes! I saw Turtles in Time had a brief availability on PS3 and I was bummed to have missed it (ditto Simpsons arcade game). Although it would require re-playing the atrocious NES game by the looks of it?

• Like 1