rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

SAD FACE MAN, SAD FACE.

B-but...... where else are people supposed to have contrived "Final Shirtless Showdowns" where they rip their clothes off in one full movement and shot transition like a Kurosawa Samurai movie?

I do kind of think it gets more and more contrived as the series goes on though, how many times you actually end up on top of the Millenium Tower though.

OK OK HEAR ME OUT!

Here you are completely right xD because in my mind, there's 2 Millenium Towers.

The one that I dislike - is the one that I see from outside, looking ugly, making me do the damn detour.

And then it's the office building/rooftop fights. I swear I always think I am in a separate dimension xD in terms of MILLENIUM ROOFTOP, it's nr 1 best rooftop to go shirtless.

I don't think that exploit had been discovered yet when I played Kiwami. Otherwise I think I might have used it too.

I couldn't stand OTOMETAL MY LIFE either - but failing at it probably close to - wow, I don't know, easily fifty plus times, gave me real Stockholm syndrome for that song.... Did I mention I suck at rhythm games? 1f602.pngFist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is going to melt my brain with the Karaoke thing in that game I swear :lol: It's going to make me tear my hair out so much I'll look like one of those bald cats.

I hate to break it to you Copa! 1f606.png....... But OTOMETAL MY LIFE actually makes its first appearance in Yakuza 4, which you're planning to play soon. Just the non metal version of it - that one's called Maiden Coloured Life from what I remember.

After all these rhythm games (I suck at them too), yes I have to still say that Fist of the North Star has THE WORST RHYTHM MINIGAME. Nothing comes even close. No wonder Kenshiro unlocked the mysteries of Hokuto Shinken with that level of surgical precision.

If you are curious, I will link my video with the final song here. It completely broke me ? and you need to hit ALL the notes for the trophy, 0 misses.

Well Yakuza 4 already promises to be a great game it seems xD too bad I had to postpone it, with Shadowman being released. 

I don't think you need to polish up your Mahjong skills too much - I think the completion metric can be gotten around with a lucky tile in that game. You might have to perform a sexual favour or too on Falkor  the luck dragon from Neverending Story though for trophies though! 1f602.png,,,, Because you have to go out on a seven pairs set in Mahjong, so that could take quite a while to actually get that one, and they all have to be a pair from EVERY tile set in the same hand. So it's just praying RNG is nice to you on that one!

Damn I need to find my lucky rabbit foot xD luckily I enjoy mahjong so it won't be as tedious.

35 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Little Yakuza 3 Update

yakuza_3_remastered.jpg

I'm actually quite close to the platinum now - at least on paper I am, I've literally broken the back of the platinum now too - I've gotten all of the mini-games done that tend to give people any real bother, which are essentially, Pool and Baseball. Thanks @Copanele for the smart idea of hanging some headphones in front of my TV to use as a makeshift aiming reticule, wish I'd thought about that for Yakuza 4 and 5 - that was so much less frustrating thanks to that. Still frustrating though, because some of those pitches are brutal, and having to basically hit 18 of twenty perfectly can get a little intense.

Yeah I borrowed that idea from the Internet, it was quite a lifesaver, since Baseball is the minigame that I can't stand in Yakuza ? I enjoyed Golf more truth be told.

I'd totally forgotten how weird the massage parlour "mini-game" is. Every Yakuza game seems to have at least one mini-game in it that you absolutely dread someone walking in whilst you're playing and just exclaiming "WHAT THE FUUUUUUU"...... Lets face it, they'd be quite within their rights to do that, when your character essentially - how shall I put this, has a happy accident in his pants? During the massage, and then a picture of a crying baby comes up on the screen. Yes it's weird, lets not think about it anymore, lets just move on, I played it so you don't have to, I guess? For..... erm, completion? Haha

Ok THAT minigame...was abit too much even for me. Sometimes the Land of the Rising Sun forgets when to stop with the honor xD 

My favourite thing of all? Well my favourite thing APART from the Bowlhead kid that lives at Kiryu's orphanage, looking at that stupid haircut makes me laugh out loud even thinking about it.  Something I may or may not have sent several screenshots of to various people over the last few days (sorry about that 1f609.png I couldn't resist) Kiryu just looks so disappointed every time he looks at him. But I digress. My OTHER favourite thing? Today I unlocked the Komaki Parry and Tiger Drop, my two favourite combat moves across the entirety of the Yakuza series, so now I feel like I'm really BACK. I'd forgotten how satisfying it was  sending a fat enemy flying into a rack of bicycles arse first as the screen transitions away in slow-motion back to regular gameplay.

Goddamn kids are a treasure xD

But enough about the brats, THE TIGER DROP AND KOMAKI PARRY ARE GODLIKE! Actually, given the crazy defensive the goons have, I ended up using Komaki Parry more than Tiger Drop in this game. It has better frames and I can combo the enemy into oblivion.

They weren't joking btw, the enemies DO BLOCK LIKE CRAZY.

So trophy progress is likely to slow down, as I work on a few of the 100% requirements, but I'll still be enjoying my time with the game I suspect. Looking forward to getting whatever gameplay I can in over the weekend. 

Best of luck with 100% ing this beast :D Can't wait to see the full review of this bad boy once you're done with it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

Seeing visible gates where vehicles pass through them and disappear out of existence is one of those immersion breaking elements that you’ll either be bothered by, or you won’t, I think that’s wholly dependent on the player.

You’ll essentially be driving around with just ambient silence – not dead air though, thankfully (those two things are noticeably different, believe me). Fortunately, you don’t spend all that much time driving in this title, so you don’t have to dwell on it too much.

...Slightly concerning... but, I do love me some Burnout... 

How does this game compare to Onrush?

• Like 2

?Highway to the danger zone?

Ok, I had to read this review right as I saw it posted. Big Burnout fan here, you probably already know because you have recommended these games from Three Fields to me before. 

I liked the ultra fast intense races full of risk in Burnout. But the Crash mode was one of my favourite things, it's a very unique gameplay concept. A non-racing mode in a racing game focused on causing as much destruction as possible and creating long lines of car crashes as if there was a sudden snow storm in a state that always has hot climate. But in Burnout, it was just that, a mode. So I was a little curious how it would stand on it's own. BTW, I like to label the driving games where you don't race simply "car games". 

One of my cherished gaming memories (and one of the happiest memories in general actually) is playing Burnout 3 and Burnout: Revenge at my friend's place usually in a group of 3 people. We used to race against each other in split-screen and try to beat some crash mode courses in turns. One of us fails - other takes the controller. I've had loads of fun, like I rarely had as much fun playing a game since then lol. 

I've played this mode in both Takedown and Revenge, and I think I liked the Revenge version more. It didn't have the "tokens" or whatever they were called. Some of them would double your score,  some of them would do the opposite. So there were some puzzle elements there already. Revenge got rid of them, but the levels themselves were better designed, more intricate, and more polished, if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I played these games. But the more puzzle focused approach to crash mode level design is still appreciated by me. I'm willing to try out this variation. Actually, I wouldn't mind any kind of variation to this mode nowadays.

As for music, I believe it wasn't playing during crash mode in the Burnout games either. Although, the mode was still only a part of the game. The soundtracks were a big part of the other types of game modes. They were cool and memorable. A full game, even a small one, must feel weird without the music. Not even in the menu? 

I think I'll get the bundle at some point. Burnout: Paradise remastered might be a higher priority for me, though.

A bonus question: has anyone here played Burnout: Crash? The cartoony game based around the same mode. Was it any good?

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Danger Zone (PS4)

La6a54d.png

Don't mind me, but seeing that title is begging me to post this:

Oh shit, @Slava beat me to it! I posted this before I even saw this page of the thread, guess I wasn't fast enough! ?

Danger Zone has a scoring metric much like Burnout’s Crash Mode did – yet it also has cash icons littered throughout the various crash zones, which add to your overall score, it works like this. If you get every single icon; you get a $5,000,000 Grand Slam score bonus. So in the pursuit of high scores – and by virtue of that, trophies, this ends up adding an extra element of depth to the experience.

Each course is on a global timer, so, in essence, with the score threshold of each course becoming higher and higher, each course ends up becoming almost its own bespoke little puzzle challenge. The challenge then becomes how you go about figuring out the best method of hitting each cash icon (usually scattered in very obscure or hidden places,) and how to use the various Smashbreakers available to you to get bigger vehicles to push you in a specific direction. This is an element of the game that I personally really loved – it made me think, far more than I ever expected I would, going into a game like this.  

In all seriousness though, this does remind me a lot of a fusion of Fast and Furious and Need for Speed! Smashing with action? Check. Driving at insane speeds? Check.
Sounds like quite the hectic game where stuff is always going on! ?

It's good to have a nice high octane racer now and then! That's what I love about the racing genre, it's so varied. Sure, there's arcade and sim racers as the overall main distinguishing factor, but then even those can branch off into sub-categories, and lo and behold we have Danger Zone!

I'm actually quite close to the platinum now - at least on paper I am, I've literally broken the back of the platinum now too - I've gotten all of the mini-games done that tend to give people any real bother, which are essentially, Pool and Baseball. Thanks @Copanele for the smart idea of hanging some headphones in front of my TV to use as a makeshift aiming reticule, wish I'd thought about that for Yakuza 4 and 5 - that was so much less frustrating thanks to that. Still frustrating though, because some of those pitches are brutal, and having to basically hit eighteen of twenty perfectly can get a little intense.

All that I have left as far as the mini-games are some of the gambling ones - which I'm leaving until later so I can gamble higher amounts, as I'm limited by where I am right now by how much I can bet.

I take it there's gonna be a handful of RNG with this one? The bane of my existence too! ? In any case, I respect the effort to go above and beyond! That's definitely a testament to how committed you are with the game, and if you stick to it then you'll get it done, regardless of how long it takes!

I actually decided to check out some of the Yakuza trailers while I was perusing the PS Store... reminds me of a fusion of GTA and Persona, walking through the streets... and then causally kicking ass with style!!! But with that, I can see why the minigames would be set to the side, especially with how that massage one was described! Oh boy, It'd be awkward for someone to walk in on a part like that! ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Firstly, I'm almost certain that I have Covid - test says negative, I'm not too convinced though. I've had plenty of the symptoms and really outrageous fatigue, even if I've slept a decent amount (by my standards at least). I haven't been really ill or anything, so, no need to worry, I've just felt incredibly lethargic and low on energy, or really nauseous  for the last five days.

Firstly wanted to say that sucks, and hopefully it'll all pass soon. Covid is a bitch sadly.

To be honest, yeah I'm surprised too. Achievements have been around for what will be seventeen years this year - which is crazy to think about actually. Maybe Nintendo just don't think they need them. A lot of their big hitting franchises which make them the most money anyway, sort of have almost in-built metrics for tracking that kind of thing anyway, so I suppose they've just never felt the need maybe.

Wow, 17 years! Doesn't seem that long tbh. Crazy indeed. Yeah indeed there has to be some kind of gaming metric that suggests to Nintendo that it's not needed. Still a curiousity.

That seems like an obscenely long time to platinum Skyrim..... Granted I haven't touched it for what will be ten years this year, but I don't remember it taking that long. That game absolutely consumed my life when I first played it though, so who knows how long I actually sunk into it. 

Don't rule out a game that length though, from what one of my friends said you'd almost certainly enjoy Dragon Quest XI he's a big turn based fan himself. 

I remember Smevz and I had a little discussion a while back about how you'd end up playing that same amount of time you'd spend on a big game, by playing smaller games you've played as a result of avoiding a bigger one. So putting 100+ hours into one awesome game doesn't seem so daunting when you think about it like that. I think we were talking about that in relation to Red Dead Redemption 2.

Haha well that's all the info I've got to go off sadly, unless someone else wants to chip in and say it'd feasible in half the time.

Oh I'm sure I'd enjoy Dragon Quest XI too, if it ends up going for a dirt cheap then I'll probably grab it depending on what size my backlog would be at that time. I'm sure loads of people including your friend would highly recommend it to me lol

That is a very fair point, and sometimes it has felt that I have done that. A lot of the times though those smaller games are needed to break up the bigger game sessions and also sometimes you can get a nice amount of variety and experience different things. It's a balancing act. Right now I've been trying to play some of the smaller (I say that but one of them has a platinum time on the guide of 35 hours) games like Horizon Chase Turbo, Puyo Puyo Champions and Music Racer amongst others. 

I'm quite bad as well at leaving a game I really want to play for far too long after I've got it (trying to remedy this) so been working on finishing Sonic Mania as an example. Fab game though the special stages for the medals, man I wish they hadn't chosen that style. Give me Sonic 1 or Sonic 2's special stages style over Sonic 3's any day of the week. 

Anyways, went off on a tangent there lol

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That was at least two thirds my fault :facepalm: - yes it does sound confusing, and it is. Yet it does make sense, I just can't explain it with just one sentence. When I end up reviewing the series for fun (as there aren't any trophies, and I do want to talk about those games in depth) later in the year I'll try and go into a bit more detail, so I guess read those if you want a less garbled idea.1f606.png

Haha fair enough, I'll await your reviews!

Well I didn't remember much about the soundtrack to be fair - until I re-listened it for the review of it I wrote last year (gotta do some research after all haha). It's a little bit of a mixed bag - like the game itself I guess, some bits of it don't fit at all, and then some others absolutely do feel like they fit in amongst the real big hitter Final Fantasy pieces.

Sounds about right, that whole game was a mixed bag. The CE looked pretty sweet though.

I do want to, and I'm not really sure why I haven't either........ Is Quina in it - I'll totally get to it sooner if they are? I need an excuse to write Quina into the 2022 End of Year Awards :lol:

Funny you say that about me getting annoyed by some of the characters - because you aren't the first person to say that to me - another one of my friends told me I'd get really irritated by one of them, that's got a really annoying way of speaking. They also said they'd remind me of Mog from Final Fantasy XII-2 and for as much as I like a lot about that game, Mog is the thing I like the least haha :facepalm:

No sadly not. Vivi and Eiko are the representatives from FFIX in the game. lol I think you could come up with an excuse to get Quina in those End of Year Awards anyways. 

Yes I think it would be a drawback for you sadly. Hopefully you'd be able to look past it but I don't know. Great game though inmho. My wife really liked Mog from XIII-2 and I liked Mog too but I can get how the voice could be irritating. World of FF has the same style character setup as XIII-2 actually - two human characters and a third creature characters and sadly might be the same in that one character's voice annoys you. We will only find out if you decide to play it.

You're so welcome man!

Shame we only get one vote for overall guide of the year - but I'd have felt like a bit of an arse if I hadn't actually voted for you on that one. And it absolutely is a great guide, so it isn't like every single vote you've had isn't deserved either.

Thanks again, honestly I really appreciate it! I'm doing well I think so hopefully it'll continue. :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Yep - lot's of RNG ahead of me - so, wish me luck 1f602.png:lol:

RNG! RNG! Who doesn't love a bit of RNG?! lol

Why has noone released 'RNG - The Game' yet?! Would be a massive hit!

I hope so - I'm still not feeling 100%, but I could be much worse, so really I can't complain at all, but thanks for the concern and support man I really appreciate that.

Anytime man ?

It must be, right? I think the Xbox 360 came out in 2005, and I think that had achievements built in from the start - so it must be seventeen years this year, that is absolutely mad to think about. The idea that achievements started the year that my eldest nephew was born, is spooky. Better not tell my sister that though - it'd probably make her feel older than she already does.

You're right though with what you said before, that adding them to Nintendo games might make some of those games sell even better if some of the hardcore Nintendo fans could say they had every "accomplishment" or whatever it got called in Mario,Zelda or Metroid series for example, so maybe one day they might consider it, who knows.

Haha well I think we all feel older than we already do when those kind of things pop up. I remember playing Sonic on my Mega Drive so that being 30 years old is bad enough haha

I believe it would do so. Think if they do decide to do it, they might do it to help push the next major console.

I am planning to finish off Skyrim's DLC's this year, so when I boot up the game if there's a way to find out I'll tell you how long it took me - I think I could take maybe 25-30 hours off the time where I did loads of non trophy related things. Like the Stones of Barnenziah sidequest and getting all of the Unique Dragon Masks, the former was my favourite quest in that game, which gives you a really cool hidden perk, where you find precious gems in every single "lootable chest" and it just so happens that dessicated corpses in dungeons count for that, so I'm basically like Scrooge McDuck in that game with the amount of gems that I have sitting around. 

Now that's an image. Ducktales! oooooo lol

Sweet, yeah when you get around to doing that, let me know please ?

I definitely can agree with that to be fair, sometimes it is nice to have some short things around to break up the really big games, especially if you just play one game solidly at a time like I tend to do.

Man, you've gotta let me know what those three games are like, I've had periods of interest in all three of them. I actually really like Puyo-Puyo from extensively playing a lot of in the Yakuza games. I'm also pretty interested in what Horizon Chase Turbo and Music Racer are like, Horizon seems like a modern take on Outrun but with a little more depth to it, which I can totally get onboard with.

Yeah I try my best to do that strategy too. I used to be able to play 2 big games at the same time, but now I find that it's just better to do one at a time and be fully focused on that. 

My quick thoughts on the 3 games - 

Horizon Chase Turbo - This was free on PS Plus and yeah I liked Outrun back in the day (didn't get to play it much) but yeah it's a classic arcade racer with added depth as you said. Big World Tour mode, where you can unlock upgrades. A tournament mode and also endurance mode which thankfully you can save scum otherwise the 109 races trophy would be way worse lol Can be easy once you get into the grove, but if you like arcade racers then I'd recommend this whether it was on PS Plus or not. Very enjoyable.

Music Racer - A pretty decent game overall which can be very relaxing on the right settings. Too relaxing in a way. If you look at the trophy guide, it's very easy and can also just be left to play by itself to get the required points to buy everything which gets you the majority of the trophies. I'd say get it but only at a cheap price.

Puyo Puyo Champions - I didn't realise that was in the Yakuza games. For me, it reminds me of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine hence why I gave it a go. It's not got a story mode like the Puyo Tetris games do, so it's straight to the point of playing and going for the trophies. It's fun if you enjoy that style of game but the trophies can be pretty difficult. Certainly a forum post from someone that I found recently is helping me try to get some of them. 

Multiplayer modes are present for HCT and PPC too.

Yes....... Well I'm in no position to lecture anyone about doing that - I've literally had Yakuza 3 Remastered in it's shrink wrapper either since it came out, or very close to that point. As you know it took me twenty-one years to get around to Final Fantasy IX, so it's something I'm incredibly guilty of too.

You know what though? I think sometimes we should just say screw it I want to play this, so that's exactly what we should do, so I'm glad you are doing that, instead of forcing yourself into playing something you'd really rather not, something I'm also very bang-to-rights guilty of myself 1f602.png

I'm glad you're having fun with Sonic Mania though, even if you'd rather the special stages were perhaps a little different - we can't win them all I guess.

Haha yes, I'll bet it's a common thing for most of us here sadly lol 

Yeah for me, it was worse a few years ago as I would build up a pile of other games I was interested in playing but just not as much as from my favourite franchises, but I'd prioritise the first ones because I would finish them then sell them so the price of playing the game was lower if I was quicker at going through them. So the FF's, RE's etc would just sit on the shelf. Tried my best recently to trim those 'selling' games right down and the digital ones too so my priorities would change.

Yeah Sonic Mania overall is a great Sonic game. I'd recommend it to anyone but then I'm a bit biased haha

Eiko really? That's, well, different I guess. I can see it though, what she, and Vivi too actually look-wise does directly play quite well into the sort of chibified aesthetic that that game seems to have. I'm not going to lie, I am a little bummed out that Quina isn't in the game, but then I like Quina more than most people would so I can't exactly hold it against the devs on that one.

I think I might have to play it though, one of my friends is always offering to lend it to me, so perhaps I ought to give it a go.

I'll just have Quina take over part of the awards show again - perhaps they can eat someone or something like they did last year, they'll make an appearance somehow though :lol:

Yeah everyone apart from the main characters are Chibi-fied as you say, and even then you can switch the main characters between being Chibi-fied and not and that plays into the strategy of the battles as well so it's not just an aesthetic choice. Yes you did lol but hey you're allowed to be bummed.

I think you should give it a go, if you're up for another turn based JRPG after FFIX, then give it a crack! Especially for free, why not? I highly doubt you'll enjoy it as much as IX, but I think you'll enjoy enough of it to appreciate it's qualities, or at least I hope you will.

Obviously Quina will make an appearance, it'll happen every year! lol

I think I'd like the gameplay from World of Final Fantasy - so I'm pretty much sold on that...... I did just have a look at some of the characters that appear in it, sad to see nobody from XII makes an appearance, BUT, I did see Quistis, and well, i do love me some Quistis, so now I'm even more intrigued! Better get me Trepie Club badge sewn onto one of my Jackets for when I play the game! 1f606.png

I'm glad at least some people were able to enjoy Mog! I can't say I was overjoyed to see them show up on Lightning Returns.

I think Fran is an addition in the Maxima DLC upgrade, but I never had that. Haha yes Quistis is a cool character, always liked her. 

I wasn't overjoyed with Lightning Returns in general tbh, and that reminds me I STILL have to watch the ending of that game. My god lol

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

After the staggering amount of effort that went into the guide you wrote you absolutely deserve it!

?

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 0:16 PM, rjkclarke said:

Firstly, I'm almost certain that I have Covid - test says negative, I'm not too convinced though. I've had plenty of the symptoms and really outrageous fatigue, even if I've slept a decent amount (by my standards at least). I haven't been really ill or anything, so, no need to worry, I've just felt incredibly lethargic and low on energy, or really nauseous  for the last five days.

Sorry! I am quite late to the party. I hope you start to feel better, that doesn't sound like any kind of fun.

Yo! I hadn't actually thought about the voice being part of what creeped me out about him, but I think you're right - they do not mesh at all. Also, no I don't think a more appropriate word exists to describe his voice than pathetic.

Yeah I couldn't decide if I wanted to pat him on the shoulder like "there, there" or smack him upside the head and tell him to quit sniveling!

It was like in your awesome  Dex review, you got across what you thought really worked for you about the story, but didn't really mention the specifics, so you're better at that, than I think you're giving yourself credit for. But we're all our own worst critic after all. 

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

I want to like GTAV, I just don't. I must say though - I think a huge part of that is down to me, and not necessarily the game. I actually agree with everything you've said about it being a huge technological achievement buthaving a bit of a missing heart too.

The problem is when I played it - I didn't dedicate any of the time I should of to actually taking in all of the really good aspects of GTAV. I'd just started University when the game came out, so I barely had any time to really play it as such, so I basically just got through the story as quick as possible, and then haven't really ever gone back to it, and that's approaching close to eight or nine years now.

Funny how that works! Er... maybe not funny exactly, more like unfortunate. Yes, that's the word! If you ever go back to it, it may grow on you - it did with me at least, although it never did assuage my criticisms.

I liked GTAIV on release as well - quite a lot too. I still like it now - it's the one I've really always wanted a PS4 remaster of, but it hasn't happened yet. So I guess perhaps I ought to pick up the PS3 version, since Microsoft deleted my gamertag and so now there's no way for anyone to see I had actually extensively played GTAIV :facepalm:

Same. I bought the PS3 version, but I'm paranoid about it updating - when I went on my PS3 purchasing rampage, it was the first game I played to test the system, and it still has the original radio stations, and I don't want to lose them! Lousy cheap Rockstar...

I remember a lot of people my age complained about how different it was compared to San Andreas, there was a lot of people complaining about the fact that it was trying to be a little more gritty and realistic. That was never something I minded. If you wanted the goofiness and "out there" stuff that was in San Andreas, I'd always say to people, you could always play Saints Row 2 or something if you wanted something a little closer to that.

I remember being a bit apprehensive about that at first, but actually playing the game pretty much took that away. It was still fun, and still funny (picture Bernie running and don't smile - you can't do it). Also V seemed to go back into that more cartoonish direction, maybe that's part of why it's more popular?

I don't know man - we'll see. You're making pretty steady progress with RE5 now. I still have admittedly not a whole lot left in Yakuza 3 platinum wise. If I was just going for the platinum, I think I could be done Sunday. I'm aiming for 100% In-game completion though, and I'm a fair bit further away from that. So I reckon you'll be lapping me soon, I'll make sure I've got RE5 installed too so we can knock out the versus mode trophies when you need to.

Yes! That might be soon, I've got a few more playthroughs and the second DLC left. I'm looking forward to boosting with you, man! It'll be a good time?

I love that you're going full-on completionist with Yakuza 3! Just goes to show your love for the series. I support this✊️

I don't think that dancing game will stump you for as long as it did for me in that game. You're a little more musically inclined than I am, I struggle quite a lot with rhythm based games, and doing all of those dance mini-games in 0 really tested my patience.

Dude I felt like I was breezing through it a little too easily until homeboy came along! I felt like I was getting close, but that was around the time I stopped playing it. Ay. So many games, so little time...

That Dance guy from the substories actually ends up becoming a fairly important character in Yakuza 5 - so I thought the fact they included him in that cameo all the way back twenty odd years earlier in the story was really cool. One of those nice little "Oh I get that" references that are in that game. You'll also meet one of the main characters from Yakuza 2/Kiwami 2 in that game, but I'll not say who it is, that's for you to discover and have a "wait, what?" Moment for yourself, like I'm sure a lot of people did who played the series in chronological order.

That's so fuckin neat. I love the effort they've put into their universe!

Saw you added Murdered Soul Suspect to your challenge list - was it me that recommended that to you? I feel like I would have done, I really like that game for what it is, I think it gets a fairly unfair rap for having a little bit of a smelly trophy list as far as collectibles go. Outside of that though, I thought it was a pretty interesting yet admittedly short experience.

It was indeed! I've decided to keep track of who recommended what to me this year, and you're already in the lead?

That's exactly how I try and explain it to people. the difference between 9.5/9 type thing (because nothing is ever a 10, not even my beloved facepants wearing NieR) - that it's still really great, nothing about it is bad - it's just a slight step down from the two games that are either side of it.

Interesting! I do think that there are 10s, but I think people should be extremely stingy with such a rating. But denying that to your favorite facepants wearer?? YOU WATCH YOUR TONGUE, YOUNG MAN?

B-but...... where else are people supposed to have contrived "Final Shirtless Showdowns" where they rip their clothes off in one full movement and shot transition like a Kurosawa Samurai movie?

I drew a comic about the loss of interest in compelling reasons in media for characters to take off their tops. It started with "Oh my goodness, you're soaked! You should get out of those clothes" to "Oh no, somebody's car broke down! You'd better take off your shirt and help him!"

On 1/14/2022 at 3:05 PM, rjkclarke said:

I'd totally forgotten how weird the massage parlour "mini-game" is. Every Yakuza game seems to have at least one mini-game in it that you absolutely dread someone walking in whilst you're playing and just exclaiming "WHAT THE FUUUUUUU"...... Let's face it, they'd be quite within their rights to do that, when your character essentially - how shall I put this, has a happy accident in his pants? During the massage, and then a picture of a crying baby comes up on the screen. Yes it's weird, let's not think about it anymore, let's just move on, I played it so you don't have to, I guess? For..... erm, completion? Haha

???? my introduction to that was watching the movies, and then the party hotline or whatever when you have to woo the women. I felt like a ten year old watching a sex scene with my mom in the next room all over again!

On 1/14/2022 at 3:05 PM, rjkclarke said:

My favourite thing of all? Well my favourite thing APART from the Bowlhead kid that lives at Kiryu's orphanage, looking at that stupid haircut makes me laugh out loud even thinking about it.  Something I may or may not have sent several screenshots of to various people over the last few days (sorry about that ? I couldn't resist) Kiryu just looks so disappointed every time he looks at him.

Oh nooooo?????

On 1/15/2022 at 10:32 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude - just to chime in, I’ve been feeling ropey for 5 days, and my wife and wee man have tested postive since Monday, but I only got a positive hit for the first time yesterday….

I thought I was dodging a bullet, but despite being triple jabbed, I can’t speak today (I sound like a cross between Chrissey Hinde and a pneumatic drill!)

Dang, I'm sorry Doc! Hope you're feeling better soon. Feels like everybody's getting it right now?

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I think you won the internet today, homie?

• Like 3

On 16/01/2022 at 5:45 AM, rjkclarke said:

Danger Zone definitely doesn't compare to Onrush in many areas - as it's basically got no real racing component, just the crashing element.

Oh shoot, I misunderstood. In that case I will be channeling Goose and ejecting out of the Danger Zone. 

I'll look forward to Dangerous Driving to see if that's more my speed... because... because... I feel the need.

horatio-csi.gif 

That does remind me actually, that I need to get a review done for Onrush as well at some point as well. I had a lot of fun with that one for what it was.

+1

Btw Gonzo - I haven't read your Last of Us odyssey yet.... I desperately wanted to, but just like Smevz I saw the SPOILERS warning and ran a mile..... As you know I'm a bit careful when it comes to those. I've bookmarked the review like I did with Shrooba's Miles Morales review so I can read it when I am all clued up though.

I forgive you guys. It has made me realise though, as someone who is very new to this review business, that I should declare whether I am spoiling anything upfront like I did this time.

I'm planning to do The Last of Us Remastered as part of my Tier 2 (fingers crossed I get that far) in the Ultra Rare Cleanup, as I've never played it to completion, and I really want to see if I agree with all of the praise that gets heaped on it. I couldn't get on with it initially, I had the same issues with it, that I do with Uncharted in that the characters never seem to shut up for five seconds.  But I also played it at a similar time to when I played GTAV so I was kind of trying to rush through the story, instead of take it all in. So hopefully later in the year I'll be able to give it my full attention, as these days I tend to stick to one game at a time.

Dude tell me about it. I've had about... 5 hours of gaming time so far in 2022. 5 hours. WTF. My life is pretty full-on at the moment. 

Tier 1 is a big enough goal for me for 2022, but I do hope you get as far as TLOU so you can experience it fully. Make sure you don't overhype it. The industry really does heap on the praise for Naughty Dog's efforts, and you shouldn't be expecting Citizen Kane despite the aircraft hangers full of commendations that TLOU has accumulated.

Regarding playing GTA V and TLOU together, it's funny you mention that. I remember buying them both on the same day for the PS3. They were the first games I bought for a few years at the time due to long-winded circumstances. I found this old and blurry photo of me bringing them home... safety first!

FB-IMG-1642308079072.jpg

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I drew a comic about the loss of interest in compelling reasons in media for characters to take off their tops. It started with "Oh my goodness, you're soaked! You should get out of those clothes" to "Oh no, somebody's car broke down! You'd better take off your shirt and help him!"

You drew a comic?

images.jpg

Loving the new profile picture btw mate.

• Like 3

Oh what a pick-me-up this entire weekend of Snooker has been! Any of you cuesports fans that read this and you haven't gotten a chance to see it yet, get and watch at least some highlights of both Semi-Finals (especially Robertson Vs Williams final frame, that is absolutely edge of your seat nail-biting stuff) and The Final itself.

Don't worry I'll talk about games in a minute ??

Absolutely stellar displays by those by those Bow-Tie Wearing, Stick Wielding, Warriors of the Green Baize.

Even if I do have the energy levels of a ninety-eight year old man with blue hands, that's just run two marathons (thanks.... Covid, if I do have you ?)...... Watching that awesome display over the last two days has given me a really nice little lift in mood.

A nice little bonus that my favourite player picked up the win today as well. (I'm sure some UK-ers will find that blasphemous, that my favourite player is an Australian, but you find me an English player that hits the ball as straight, and cues as well as him, even Ronnie O'Sullivan thinks the guy has basically the best cue-action in the sport.) As tired as the cliche of "it's sad there has to be a loser" is. That was so true today.

I also managed to get the review for Danger Zone 2 finished - so I'll post that up in a little while. It looks like The Wolf Among Us had the desired effect on me review wise, as it's gotten me a little in the swing of wanting to get through some of the older reviews a bit faster as I was severely slacking on those in the tail end of last year - so now I'm going to aim to do at least 3 Classic Reviews a week if I can, that's the plan anyway, whether or not I'll keep to that, remains to be seen.

After this little, I guess mini-update/ just throwing some thoughts around, I better chuck some replies out there too!

14 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Well, that game does already exist, and it is a massive hit!

It's called Genshin Impact........  Haha ?:lol:

Haha well I think we all feel older than we already do when those kind of things pop up. I remember playing Sonic on my Mega Drive so that being 30 years old is bad enough haha

I guess time is one of the few things we can't escape - The Prince of Persia had to find that out the hard way.

I see your 30 year old Megadrive making you feel old  and I raise you my first console - which is even older....  ?

300px-Plus4_komplett.jpg

The Commodore Plus 4 - The games came on cassettes and everything! I still have this somewhere too.

Yeah I try my best to do that strategy too. I used to be able to play 2 big games at the same time, but now I find that it's just better to do one at a time and be fully focused on that. 

That's usually what I find as well, if I have more than one thing on the go, I tend not to focus on either thing properly, so that's kind of why I've switched to just one thing at a time usually. I'm kind of breaking that now, in that I've booted up Lord of the Rings: War in the North recently to try and get that platinum ticked off after nearly ten years, but after getting the one online trophy, I've found I haven't actually wanted to go back, because of - well, Yakuza 3 haha.

Horizon Chase Turbo - This was free on PS Plus and yeah I liked Outrun back in the day (didn't get to play it much) but yeah it's a classic arcade racer with added depth as you said. Big World Tour mode, where you can unlock upgrades. A tournament mode and also endurance mode which thankfully you can save scum otherwise the 109 races trophy would be way worse lol Can be easy once you get into the grove, but if you like arcade racers then I'd recommend this whether it was on PS Plus or not. Very enjoyable.

I have got that via PS+ so I'll have to give that a go at some point, as it does look like something I'd probably have a fair bit of fun with. It's a good thing Endurance Mode can be gotten around with backup saves, that might make my hair fall out faster than Fist of the North Star's rhythm game is likely to if it didn't have that option open :facepalm:

Music Racer - A pretty decent game overall which can be very relaxing on the right settings. Too relaxing in a way. If you look at the trophy guide, it's very easy and can also just be left to play by itself to get the required points to buy everything which gets you the majority of the trophies. I'd say get it but only at a cheap price.

I will bear that in mind then - sounds like you're likely to fall asleep at the controller with that one!

Puyo Puyo Champions - I didn't realise that was in the Yakuza games. For me, it reminds me of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine hence why I gave it a go. It's not got a story mode like the Puyo Tetris games do, so it's straight to the point of playing and going for the trophies. It's fun if you enjoy that style of game but the trophies can be pretty difficult. Certainly a forum post from someone that I found recently is helping me try to get some of them. 

Yep it's in Yakuza 6 and Judgment - but you can ignore it in Yakuza 6 as you don't need 100% for the platinum in that one (another one hat I did the 100% in anyway). It's pretty brutal in Judgment and Yakuza 6 though, you've gotta win 25+ games in a row to spawn a specific character for the completion, so it definitely forces you to get pretty good at Puyo-Puyo. I really like the mini-game though, so if Champions is pretty much just that, but purely gameplay, I'd totally be on board for that I reckon.

It is like Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, or Dr Mario......  Absolutely! Or Tetris Attack haha - I loved pretty much all of those - although I think Tetris Attack most out of all of them.

Yeah for me, it was worse a few years ago as I would build up a pile of other games I was interested in playing but just not as much as from my favourite franchises, but I'd prioritise the first ones because I would finish them then sell them so the price of playing the game was lower if I was quicker at going through them. So the FF's, RE's etc would just sit on the shelf. Tried my best recently to trim those 'selling' games right down and the digital ones too so my priorities would change.

I can definitely see the appeal of that - one of my friends I went to school with used to do that - he used to be a pretty hardcore achievement hunter back in the day. I have no idea if he still is, as I haven't seen him for a good few years. He did once buy a Call of Duty at launch, get all of the gamerscore over the weekend, and then take the game back on the Monday, for a full refund because it was still within the period that you could get a full refund. Quite crafty really, so he basically had a free 1K Gamerscore from it.

Nice to see you're trimming back the "selling" games though - in a time where getting the time to game is becoming more of a precious commodity I think it's pretty important that we all try and play things that we actually want to be playing more than things we feel obliged too sometimes. I'd have probably been able to do so much more with the fifty hours Agents of Mayhem stole from me, if I'd been a bit more proactive in playing things I actually wanted to play, instead of that, to have another game from a series completed ?... Silly me.

I think you should give it a go, if you're up for another turn based JRPG after FFIX, then give it a crack! Especially for free, why not? I highly doubt you'll enjoy it as much as IX, but I think you'll enjoy enough of it to appreciate it's qualities, or at least I hope you will.

I am up for another one at some point - but not quite yet I don't think. I'm sure at some point in the coming months I'll get bitten by the turn based bug, that'd probably be the time to jump back in on a JRPG with World of Final Fantasy, I suppose,

I wasn't overjoyed with Lightning Returns in general tbh, and that reminds me I STILL have to watch the ending of that game. My god lol

Well have fun - that ending is definitely something. As I've said before, make sure you see the true ending, just to, y'know get the full, strange conclusion. Like that entire Trilogy I guess, it's definitely probably a bit of a head scratcher for most, myself included.

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Sorry! I am quite late to the party. I hope you start to feel better, that doesn't sound like any kind of fun.

Thanks man! I appreciate that!

I think I'm  starting to feel better, hard to tell, if right now it's lack of sleep or something else, I stayed up stupidly late playing Yakuza last night/this morning, so that's probably compounding things a bit. 

Yeah I couldn't decide if I wanted to pat him on the shoulder like "there, there" or smack him upside the head and tell him to quit sniveling!

I Wish that was an option - Bigby just clouts him one, when he tries to give Snow White his special box - that may, or may not have had something creepy in ?

Funny how that works! Er... maybe not funny exactly, more like unfortunate. Yes, that's the word! If you ever go back to it, it may grow on you - it did with me at least, although it never did assuage my criticisms.

I do plan on going back to it actually - I was planning to at least get the 100% Completion in the single player campaign. I think whilst I'm doing it, I'll play through the story again at my own pace, and see if I enjoy it a little bit more. Hopefully, I will, as  I definitely feel as if I missed something fairly crucial with it as far as my own enjoyment went.

Same. I bought the PS3 version, but I'm paranoid about it updating - when I went on my PS3 purchasing rampage, it was the first game I played to test the system, and it still has the original radio stations, and I don't want to lose them! Lousy cheap Rockstar...

For some reason I just had an image of Sam Houser kicking you right in the nuts just as you finish saying "Lousy cheap Rockstar" and then stuffing money into your mouth whilst you're writhing around on the floor,  then walking away laughing like Ted Dibiase. Modern Rockstar just seem like that's the kind of thing they'd do now, unfortunately.

t was still fun, and still funny (picture Bernie running and don't smile - you can't do it)

You're right - that is pretty much impossible :lol:

Yes! That might be soon, I've got a few more playthroughs and the second DLC left. I'm looking forward to boosting with you, man! It'll be a good time1f601.png

I love that you're going full-on completionist with Yakuza 3! Just goes to show your love for the series. I support this270a.png

I really like that second DLC, so I hope you have an awesome time with that one. Last time I played it was co-op with one of my friends and we had an absolute blast playing that - we died a lot, just because we weren't concentrating properly, but some it gets real intense later on in it.

That reminds me, I'll hit download on it later, so it's all ready for when you want to get that Versus mode knocked out! Should be fun!

I really don't think RE5 deserves even half as much hate as it gets. It's got some really good single player DLC too. I also wish they'd bring back Sheva in a future game - I really liked her.

Dude I felt like I was breezing through it a little too easily until homeboy came along! I felt like I was getting close, but that was around the time I stopped playing it. Ay. So many games, so little time...

Koi No Disco Queen has actually become a song I listen to fairly regularly as a result of that dancing mini-game though, once you really get into them they can be quite fun. But I remember at one point thinking " how the hell am I supposed to beat all of these on Hard?" I got there in the end though. So you will too.

That's the never-ending struggle for all of us right? So many games, so little time..... It's an enjoyable fight though.

It was indeed! I've decided to keep track of who recommended what to me this year, and you're already in the lead1f604.png

Wooooo! That's awesome! Until you play something you despise and want to clip me upside the head like Toad Junior, then I'll have to slink away somewhere :lol:

Interesting! I do think that there are 10s, but I think people should be extremely stingy with such a rating. But denying that to your favorite facepants wearer?? YOU WATCH YOUR TONGUE, YOUNG MAN1f604.png

His facepants wearing self would be a 10 in my heart - but my brain would tell me, because of some fairly clunky gameplay that he should only really be getting a 9 or a 9.5

I don't know - not something I worry about - as I don't do the whole X out of 10 rating thing, so I've never actually had to encounter wanting to give something a ten but my brain telling me I shouldn't.

There are so many things that get so close to a ten that they might as well be one though. If I was doing that :dunno:

That idea honestly could run and run, there are almost limitless amounts of funny situations to mine comedy from that - I expect that was really fun making that.......  "Today I helped an old person across the road, and both our shirts came off"

Part me both does, and doesn't want to see that get drawn now that I've thought about it!

???? my introduction to that was watching the movies, and then the party hotline or whatever when you have to woo the women. I felt like a ten year old watching a sex scene with my mom in the next room all over again!

Right! That's exactly the feeling - really puts you on edge.

3 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Oh shoot, I misunderstood. In that case I will be channeling Goose and ejecting out of the Danger Zone. 

I'll look forward to Dangerous Driving to see if that's more my speed... because... because... I feel the need.

I don't think that's on you to be fair - I think I just didn't do a good enough job of explaining exactly what the game was about - I probably wrongly assumed everyone knew what Crash Mode was from the earlier Burnouts and that this was essentially just, a whole game of that.

Haha! We'll see what you think of Dangerous Driving, whether it is up your alley once I've written that - I'll make sure I do a better job of explaining it this time too. ?

I forgive you guys. It has made me realise though, as someone who is very new to this review business, that I should declare whether I am spoiling anything upfront like I did this time.

I appreciate the fact that you did put the warning though - plenty of people wouldn't.

I am really looking forward to reading it though.... I truly am, because you'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to notice the incredibly gargantuan amount of effort that you put into that, so I absolutely want to give it the time it absolutely deserves once I know the full picture of Last of Us I and II.

Dude tell me about it. I've had about... 5 hours of gaming time so far in 2022. 5 hours. WTF. My life is pretty full-on at the moment. 

Tier 1 is a big enough goal for me for 2022, but I do hope you get as far as TLOU so you can experience it fully. Make sure you don't overhype it. The industry really does heap on the praise for Naughty Dog's efforts, and you shouldn't be expecting Citizen Kane despite the aircraft hangers full of commendations that TLOU has accumulated.

Regarding playing GTA V and TLOU together, it's funny you mention that. I remember buying them both on the same day for the PS3. They were the first games I bought for a few years at the time due to long-winded circumstances. I found this old and blurry photo of me bringing them home... safety first!

FB-IMG-1642308079072.jpg

Ouch dude - 5 hours is pretty low so far, sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you've gotta make that count where you can at the moment! Tier 1 is still ten games though man! So that'll be awesome if we can get those in the bag. I think you'll do it, just gotta find a way to fit it in!

The ones I have for Tier 1 are mostly cleanup, of older games, so I think I can get to Tier 2, first thing I'll probably play when I get there will be The Last of Us.

Funny you mention the whole Citizen Kane thing - one of my biggest problems with Uncharted and The Last of Us (what little I played of it, I got to the bit where Ellie first gets the rifle, so I don't know where in the story that is) I always got really fed up of the whole "It's so cinematic" thing that people often used to trot out. I'd think about it whilst playing, and think "it really isn't" and then it'd frustrate me, which is not the fault of the games to be fair.  Uncharted 4 does admittedly come close a few times, to being quite cinematic. Thank goodness I don't have to see Sam Drakes wrinkly Scrotum teabag face on a giant screen though, those are the things nightmares are born from! :lol:

I'll just have to put that "cinematic" thought to one side when I play it and just try and enjoy it for exactly what it is. I'll try and leave my preconceived ideas at the door. That usually leads to the best times anyway. I'm hoping that by the time I've finished it I'll be saying to myself "Why the hell didn't you play this back in 2013, you burke!"

That picture is great - gotta get them home safe and sound after that momentous day, when new games were purchased right? I'm surprised you didn't wrap them in cotton wool or bubble wrap too. Just to be safe! ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I think you won the internet today, homie1f606.png

Haha why, thank you! ?

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Well, that game does already exist, and it is a massive hit!

It's called Genshin Impact........  Haha 1f602.png:lol:

Yikes! Staying well clear of that then! haha ?

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I guess time is one of the few things we can't escape - The Prince of Persia had to find that out the hard way.

I see your 30 year old Megadrive making you feel old  and I raise you my first console - which is even older....  1f602.png

300px-Plus4_komplett.jpg

The Commodore Plus 4 - The games came on cassettes and everything! I still have this somewhere too.

Oh no, hang on a moment. The Sega Mega Drive wasn't the first console I ever owned. That honour belongs to the ZX Spectrum, so yeah I know all about games on cassette tapes and having to go out of the room and come back 10mins later for a game to load and to avoid that god awful loading sound lol

Impressive you still have the Commodore there somewhere, must be worth a fair bit by now!

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That's usually what I find as well, if I have more than one thing on the go, I tend not to focus on either thing properly, so that's kind of why I've switched to just one thing at a time usually. I'm kind of breaking that now, in that I've booted up Lord of the Rings: War in the North recently to try and get that platinum ticked off after nearly ten years, but after getting the one online trophy, I've found I haven't actually wanted to go back, because of - well, Yakuza 3 haha.

Haha, well hey it's impressive you have managed to get the online trophy at least and I think that's a PS3 game if I'm not mistaken? Yes Yakuza 3 has certainl got all your gaming attention, and its awesome when you get so into the groove with one game and just enjoy every facet of it and become really engrossed. Awesome. 

I have got that via PS+ so I'll have to give that a go at some point, as it does look like something I'd probably have a fair bit of fun with. It's a good thing Endurance Mode can be gotten around with backup saves, that might make my hair fall out faster than Fist of the North Star's rhythm game is likely to if it didn't have that option open :facepalm:

Yeah definitely, with having it free there is no reason not to give it a go really. It's a game you can play a lot of in one go if you really get into the groove with it. I backup my saves to the cloud every 5 races on that one, as once I left it too long on a shorter endurance one and due to finishing 6th in a race (you have to finish in the top 5 in that mode) I lost 16 races worth of progress. Learnt from that mistake haha.

I will bear that in mind then - sounds like you're likely to fall asleep at the controller with that one!

It's more the fact that you can let the game essentially play itself and you'll get the majority of the trophies following the ps plus save backup trick in the trophy guide. It's cool, unique, got a sweet aethestic but it's a lot of style and not so much substance. 

Yep it's in Yakuza 6 and Judgment - but you can ignore it in Yakuza 6 as you don't need 100% for the platinum in that one (another one hat I did the 100% in anyway). It's pretty brutal in Judgment and Yakuza 6 though, you've gotta win 25+ games in a row to spawn a specific character for the completion, so it definitely forces you to get pretty good at Puyo-Puyo. I really like the mini-game though, so if Champions is pretty much just that, but purely gameplay, I'd totally be on board for that I reckon.

It is like Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, or Dr Mario......  Absolutely! Or Tetris Attack haha - I loved pretty much all of those - although I think Tetris Attack most out of all of them.

Yeah it's just pure Puyo Puyo normal gameplay and Fever mode gameplay. Can even have the Puyo's look like Sonic icons so obviously that's what I have haha. Damn though, winning 25+ games in a row sounds pretty tough. Bet you're a top player now though!

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was fun to play back in the day. Dr. Mario too on the OG Game Boy. Classic simple games right there. Not played Tetris Attack but the OG Tetris, yes of cours. Classic personified.

I can definitely see the appeal of that - one of my friends I went to school with used to do that - he used to be a pretty hardcore achievement hunter back in the day. I have no idea if he still is, as I haven't seen him for a good few years. He did once buy a Call of Duty at launch, get all of the gamerscore over the weekend, and then take the game back on the Monday, for a full refund because it was still within the period that you could get a full refund. Quite crafty really, so he basically had a free 1K Gamerscore from it.

Nice to see you're trimming back the "selling" games though - in a time where getting the time to game is becoming more of a precious commodity I think it's pretty important that we all try and play things that we actually want to be playing more than things we feel obliged too sometimes. I'd have probably been able to do so much more with the fifty hours Agents of Mayhem stole from me, if I'd been a bit more proactive in playing things I actually wanted to play, instead of that, to have another game from a series completed 1f644.png... Silly me.

Yeah I've heard lots of people do that. Not my style to go through a game like that in just one weekend but hey, not paying any money at all is defnitely a bonus! 

Yeah I couldn't really describe it any better apart from "selling" games pile lol sorry about that. Yes I think we should all prioritise the games we really want to play! 

Hey at least you got a good review for this thread out of Agents of Mayhem. (Best I could come up with lol)

I am up for another one at some point - but not quite yet I don't think. I'm sure at some point in the coming months I'll get bitten by the turn based bug, that'd probably be the time to jump back in on a JRPG with World of Final Fantasy, I suppose,

Sounds like a good plan. Try to rotate the type of big games I play too. Looking forward to a future World of FF review. ?

Well have fun - that ending is definitely something. As I've said before, make sure you see the true ending, just to, y'know get the full, strange conclusion. Like that entire Trilogy I guess, it's definitely probably a bit of a head scratcher for most, myself included.

Yes, the True Ending. I will definitely get on to that! Got to remember the story first lol

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 4:09 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

Ouch. You need some you time, homie. I hope life gives you a break here and there soon... not necessarily for gaming, but just so you can have some time to yourself.

FB-IMG-1642308079072.jpg

Adorbz.

You drew a comic?

images.jpg

3f1.jpg

I would just draw comics on receipt paper at work for mine and my coworkers' amusement. I'm certain i have a bunch stashed away somewhere though, I did that for quite a while and still think about different ones from time to time. Like people getting nude for no reason?

On 1/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, rjkclarke said:

It looks like The Wolf Among Us had the desired effect on me review wise, as it's gotten me a little in the swing of wanting to get through some of the older reviews a bit faster as I was severely slacking on those in the tail end of last year - so now I'm going to aim to do at least 3 Classic Reviews a week if I can, that's the plan anyway, whether or not I'll keep to that, remains to be seen.

Nice!

Daaaaamn, blast from the past?

I think I'm  starting to feel better, hard to tell, if right now it's lack of sleep or something else, I stayed up stupidly late playing Yakuza last night/this morning, so that's probably compounding things a bit. 

Hate to get all Dad on you, but you do need your rest! Hard to come by as it may be...

I Wish that was an option - Bigby just clouts him one, when he tries to give Snow White his special box - that may, or may not have had something creepy in 1f606.png

I love that visual. Then Toad gets indignant and Bigby fakes him out like "WHAT, bitch?? You don't want none, now get your sorry ass to the farm!"

I do plan on going back to it actually - I was planning to at least get the 100% Completion in the single player campaign. I think whilst I'm doing it, I'll play through the story again at my own pace, and see if I enjoy it a little bit more. Hopefully, I will, as  I definitely feel as if I missed something fairly crucial with it as far as my own enjoyment went.

I'll eventually get back to it myself.. but DrunkenEngineer and I were talking about it, and I acknowledged the possibility of getting the plat but then the online trophies beckoning?

I hope you do, and more importantly have fun with it!

For some reason I just had an image of Sam Houser kicking you right in the nuts just as you finish saying "Lousy cheap Rockstar" and then stuffing money into your mouth whilst you're writhing around on the floor,  then walking away laughing like Ted Dibiase. Modern Rockstar just seem like that's the kind of thing they'd do now, unfortunately.

???

Well they definitely share the same theme song...

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEEYYYYY

I really like that second DLC, so I hope you have an awesome time with that one. Last time I played it was co-op with one of my friends and we had an absolute blast playing that - we died a lot, just because we weren't concentrating properly, but some it gets real intense later on in it.

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed it. To think I was initially worried I'd have trouble getting to 150 kills?

That reminds me, I'll hit download on it later, so it's all ready for when you want to get that Versus mode knocked out! Should be fun!

I really don't think RE5 deserves even half as much hate as it gets. It's got some really good single player DLC too. I also wish they'd bring back Sheva in a future game - I really liked her.

Woohoo!!

Yeah, it's definitely grown on me. I don't think to the extent that I'll bother with res 6 though!

Koi No Disco Queen has actually become a song I listen to fairly regularly as a result of that dancing mini-game though, once you really get into them they can be quite fun. But I remember at one point thinking " how the hell am I supposed to beat all of these on Hard?" I got there in the end though. So you will too.

Thanks for the words of encouragement man, I certainly hope so??

Wooooo! That's awesome! Until you play something you despise and want to clip me upside the head like Toad Junior, then I'll have to slink away somewhere :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much about that, your credit's pretty good with me?

I don't know - not something I worry about - as I don't do the whole X out of 10 rating thing, so I've never actually had to encounter wanting to give something a ten but my brain telling me I shouldn't.

I still wonder if I want to implement that - it always felt more natural to me to just let the review speak for itself and not worry about giving out a rating, but I like that a lot of people do that, and as realm pointed out, it's helpful for readers. Me no know?‍♂️

That idea honestly could run and run, there are almost limitless amounts of funny situations to mine comedy from that - I expect that was really fun making that.......  "Today I helped an old person across the road, and both our shirts came off"

Part me both does, and doesn't want to see that get drawn now that I've thought about it!

thumb_somethings-you-cant-unsee-bro-un-c

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I really wondered where did you go lately. Then I saw you replying to some status updates and I was "ok, he's definitely getting murdered by Yakuza 3". Guess I was right lol.

47 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm going to have to summon @Copanele for this one - just in case you miss this post - but you know we both had a nightmare with the batting? You and I can both universally agree that it's a massive pile of septic severed Donkey genitals..... Right? Actually you don't have to agree with that part, this just pushed me a little too far. 

So to create each piece of modded gear and weaponry - it turns out that you actually have to basically get the completion requirement for the EX Hard Batting - FOUR times over, because you need the crafting materials you get as a reward. I can't even put into words how much my heart sank when I realised I had to do that, three more times. It doesn't really get easier - I still choked at the last few pitches from nerves plenty of times, this was an ordeal haha!

Reason why I NOPED hard from that 100% list is because I kinda knew what was coming. However I DID NOT even imagine that you had to do EX HARD BATTING FOUR TIMES for some shitty crafting materials. Holy crap that is nightmare x100.

I still firmly believe that batting is the shittiest minigame in the series (so far). I had no issue with cat fights, Mahjong was easy peasy, even the roulette without items was manageable. But batting? For christ sake WHY would you put something THIS ASS in the game.

I would say congratulations, but I will convert it into "Thoughts and prayers" because I can only imagine how much of a pain it was.

Now I am even more eager to see your reviews xD 

• Like 4

......" It's been a while....... Hasn't it?"

Dude - what’s that Yakuza game been doing to ya? ?

I gotta admit, that the game left such a notable absence in your presence on these forums the last few weeks somehow says more about it than any text review ever could ?…

I’m getting the feeling that the TL;DR equivalent for the game could be summarised with a simple “Yakuza 3: before/after”…

700-CB90-F-BDD6-4209-B90-B-BD813-A90668-

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

In the words of Solidus Snake (That is such a silly name, what were you thinking Kojima).....

......" It's been a while....... Hasn't it?"

My dude!!

I would start to wonder if all was well on occasion, but then I'd see on the PS4 that you were busy playing Yakuza 3 and then think "Oh, he's fine." You've been quite missed my friend, but rest assured we all understand!

I really - and I mean REALLY, underestimated how long it would take to get the full 100% completion in this game.

Funny that no matter how long you play games, and how good a feel you can get for your own skill as well as the time required for certain games, the possibility of underestimating a game will never be an impossibility.

Well then - now that I've finished the story, what are a few general impressions - did I like it? Yes, and no...... I didn't love it that's for sure, partly that's my fault for playing them in a weird order and knowing what happens over the course of the game.To tell you the truth though, the story is just a little bit lacking, I'm perfectly fine with low key storytelling, that can be done so well - it doesn't really suit Yakuza though. Imagine you're slow cooking a meal, but instead of leaving it in for most of a day, instead you leave it for a week - THIS, is how I felt about Yakuza 3's story.

Interesting! What order did you play them in?

Then there's actually beating them. I do not say this lightly - Vallery Garrett on Hard mode - is literally the hardest fight in the game

I can only imagine the patience required! It's like the developers were brainstorming ways to kill the players' desire to achieve the hundo! Having to make it through RNG, and then two tough battles, to finally get to the real battle where you can't heal and can be quickly killed?? I can't imagine much worse than that.

The worst part? You have to fight him in a Tag Tournament too - this had me stumped for a mighty long time. The Partner A.I

Aw fuck, it got worse!

I eventually won that fight with a sliver of health and what a tense adrenaline rush that was!

I believe it. Congrats dude, that sounds like a hell of an achievement!!

So to create each piece of modded gear and weaponry - it turns out that you actually have to basically get the completion requirement for the EX Hard Batting - FOUR times over, because you need the crafting materials you get as a reward. I can't even put into words how much my heart sank when I realised I had to do that, three more times. It doesn't really get easier - I still choked at the last few pitches from nerves plenty of times, this was an ordeal haha!

As I knew I'd be posting a screenshot of the stats in here at some point - I also decided to get Haruka's trust level up to S rank (you can go up to EX Rank) but you literally have to give 30 Million Yen to a homeless dude - for just a sliver of experience bar, and as it took me over one hundred hours to have 15 Million Yen, I didn't fancy whatever grind was involved to get 30 Million, so I thought I'd settle on an S, that looks way better than a D which is where it was.

Why weren't we the ones making TellTale games? Some of them might be a lot less Vanilla if we injected stuff like that into them.... Actually back on The Wolf Among Us thing - you know when Tweedle Dee first appeared? First time I saw him I was sure it was just Toad with a glamour, if you think about it, they actually look pretty similar - that is what Toad would probably look like as a human!

See, this is why you should be writing video games. Hell, so should I!

....you know any good workshops?

Dude you'd think whoever makes the glamors would take one look at Toad and his son and be like "bro here just take them, you seriously need them more than I need the money, dear GOD." I will say, the moment it's revealed that theyre wearing glamors was a pretty dope moment, I did not see that coming.

I hope I have fun with GTAV eventually when I go back to it too - I don't particularly like having fairly negative feelings about one game in a series that I really love - especially when it doesn't necessarily deserve it.

I also hope you enjoy going back to it if you do - you can actually get the platinum too, whereas I can't. So it's probably a little more of a boost, the prospect of having that tasty platinum on your list!

Oh you've got it on PS3, huh? Dang, one less potential partner if the online ends up ensnaring me after all.

I was going for the in game 100% because I've done that for the trilogy as well as IV (excluding online, of course!) and it seemed a shame to see that streak come to an end... but I got mixed up while doing the unique jumps and didn't keep track of which ones I'd done... that ended up being the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me!

I guess I'd better go finish that Kiwami 2 review off. I've got a bit of catching up to do review wise - as I said I'd aim for three classic reviews a week as an aiming spot - so I might have to get busy writing next week, to cover some more ground!

Alriiiigghht?

8 hours ago, Copanele said:

Damn, I really wondered where did you go lately. Then I saw you replying to some status updates and I was "ok, he's definitely getting murdered by Yakuza 3". Guess I was right lol.

??? I had the same reaction, but you said it much better than me!

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m getting the feeling that the TL;DR equivalent for the game could be summarised with a simple “Yakuza 3: before/after”…

Bro I pictured exactly that! Makes sense though - 'Bloodmoney' is actually Latin for "He who brings thoughts to life in video game forums." Which is interesting, as I'm pretty sure they didn't have video games then...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Copanele said:

Murdered by Yakuza 3 was absolutely it yeah!

You know - I timed that really badly in hindsight, because I'd posted that thing only days before about probably having Covid - so I didn't really think going silent might have made people think I'd disappeared for an unfortunate reason.

Reason why I NOPED hard from that 100% list is because I kinda knew what was coming. However I DID NOT even imagine that you had to do EX HARD BATTING FOUR TIMES for some shitty crafting materials. Holy crap that is nightmare x100.

I still firmly believe that batting is the shittiest minigame in the series (so far). I had no issue with cat fights, Mahjong was easy peasy, even the roulette without items was manageable. But batting? For christ sake WHY would you put something THIS ASS in the game.

I would say congratulations, but I will convert it into "Thoughts and prayers" because I can only imagine how much of a pain it was.

I was so gutted when I found out I had to do the batting again - the worst thing is that it was literally the last thing I had to do for the 100%.

If you ever reinstall the game by the way you should go and check out the All Star Tournaments in Premium Adventure. You can actually fight Hamizaki despite the fact you never actually get to in the main game. You can also do a tag tournament where you team with Majima and you can hit some cool little dual heat actions together. Good Source of Yen too. I got 800,000 for winning one of the tournaments. 

I agree man!  Batting is the worst mini-game in the series. I don't think I actually like it in any of the games that it appears in. I don't even think 3 is the worst version of it. I firmly believe Yakuza 5 has the worst batting in the entire series. As I've said before Batting + Maths, and ridiculously fast pitches does not make for an enjoyable game mode, that made me almost give up on Yakuza 5, but I was already about 80 hours deep, and you can't really back out by then can you? :lol:

You did the smart thing and noped out I think! As much as I enjoyed seeing off Kiryu (for me at least) in style with a sweet 100%. It was definitely a test of my patience at times, but it feels worth it.

Saying that though. One of the things I really hated in Yakuza 3 was the Hostess dating mini-game. I don't really like that in any of the games, but at least you seem to be able to mash the buttons faster to get through the absolutely awful cringeworthy dialogue faster in the other games. This one just seemed to take forever. Seeing that little tiny Sausage Dog was funny, but that was the only highlight of the Hostess thing.

Now I am even more eager to see your reviews xD 

You might be in luck with one - after I've written this reply, I'll go and have another look over my Kiwami 2 review again for any mistakes (which I'm sure I'll still miss plenty, I always do ? haha) then I'll post that up. That turned out way long, so hopefully it won't bore you all senseless.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude - what’s that Yakuza game been doing to ya? 1f602.png

I gotta admit, that the game left such a notable absence in your presence on these forums the last few weeks somehow says more about it than any text review ever could 1f61d.png

I don't know that it's an overwhelmingly good thing either that it did that - the reality is, once I actually get down to reviewing it, it's not going to be one of those reviews I'm absolutely waxing lyrical about how much I loved the game, I just know it isn't. There's too many glaring issues that you just can't ignore.

I loved what playing this last adventure (for me) with Kiryu meant to me, but the game itself is weirdly not one that I have a really strong feeling towards. That's going to sound weird I know, considering how much I played it and how much I did very much enjoy the experience that came along with it, it's a weird feeling that I haven't quite gotten my head around yet.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Can I just post that for my Yakuza 3 review and be done with it?

It'd certainly save on time and effort that's for sure ?

That before and after  is scarily accurate as well. :lol:

10 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I just gotta ask WHY? Why put yourself through that torture?

I just finished 4, but I thought the story in Yakuza 3 was pretty good, playing it on hard though was annoying more than challenging.

It's hard to say exactly why - I really love the series for one, so I wanted to get 100% in it even if I could have done far less and still get the platinum. My PS4 Screenshot of my 100% file will be the thing I expect I'll remember more fondly than the platinum when I think about this game further down the line.

Another reason is this was essentially my last adventure with Kiryu. As I'm not one for trophy stacking, I'm never going to go out of my way to re-platinum 4 and 5, so I thought, time to send my time with Kiryu off in style. I really enjoyed that element of approaching the game. To be perfectly honest, having something to focus on that wasn't trophy related was really refreshing too, so it all felt like time well spent. I just wish it was with an entry in the series that I liked more than I do.

I don't think Yakuza 3's story is bad per se - I just personally found it quite flat. There's some elements of it that I really, really liked. Then there's others where it slows to a crawl, or becomes so ridiculous in places, you think you've wandered into a place in Yakuza where the tone of the Substories has actually become the main focus.

I fully agree with hard mode being more annoying than challenging most of the time. Even on lower difficulties Kiryu does ridiculously low damage in this game and there's no really easy way to buff that, so when he does even less on hard and the enemies always block, but barely attack. It ends up being a weird mixture of making the enemies attack you by attacking them, Komaki Parrying them after, slipping behind them and comboing them to hell from behind.

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

My dude!!

I would start to wonder if all was well on occasion, but then I'd see on the PS4 that you were busy playing Yakuza 3 and then think "Oh, he's fine." You've been quite missed my friend, but rest assured we all understand!

I really appreciate that man!

I'll be honest, I didn't really think anyone would notice that I hadn't been posting. Like I mentioned a bit further above I probably picked a bad time to go radio silent considering I'd said that I'd probably had covid about two weeks back now.

The Yakuza games can be super absorbing if you let them, and unfortunately it looks like it's a trap that I fell into again this time.

Funny that no matter how long you play games, and how good a feel you can get for your own skill as well as the time required for certain games, the possibility of underestimating a game will never be an impossibility.

That's so true, I thought it'd maybe take ten more hours than the platinum would, not close to fifty more haha! Which reminds me - I either fail the backlog challenge miserably, invent a Carl pill so I can stay awake indefinitely (unfortunately my brains already done that for me, it just can't function like that ?) or I start busting out those swaps pretty sharp-ish.

Interesting! What order did you play them in?

A really bloody weird one..... So...... I don't ever think I've actually gone into the order on here, despite mentioning it plenty. So I'll do it now.

The order I played them was this.

Y1 (PS2)> Y2 (PS2)> Y5(PS3)> Y4 (PS3)> Y0(PS4)> Kiwami (PS4)> Y6 (PS4) > Kiwami 2 (PS4)> Y:Dead Souls (PS3)> Judgment (PS4) > Y3 (PS4)

I darted all over the timeline really - Yakuza 5 was the one that made me really fall in love with the series again, that and the fact it was another white whale platinum for a while - which is why it will probably always be my favourite one.

But playing 4 and 5 way before playing 3 was probably a big part of the reason 3 didn't quite resonate with me as much.

In a way I'm happy about doing it that way - Yakuza 6 still thankfully feels the same to me, which I worried it wouldn't as this is my final adventure with Kiryu, I was so worried about losing all of those complex emotions and feelings I had going into Yakuza 6, but I'm honestly so happy nothing about that changed.  But nope, faults and all, that still feels like Yakuza 6. That still feels like the end. 

To me at least Yakuza 3 was like buying a new version of a book you used to own, where a chapter had previously been completely ripped out, and you never quite understood what was there - and now I've been able to fill that missing chapter and experience the whole story of Kiryu as a playable character.

I can only imagine the patience required! It's like the developers were brainstorming ways to kill the players' desire to achieve the hundo! Having to make it through RNG, and then two tough battles, to finally get to the real battle where you can't heal and can be quickly killed?? I can't imagine much worse than that.

You know - I'd happily take twice as much of that, just so that I didn't have to do the Extra Hard Batting course almost perfectly an extra four times.

It is frustrating for sure - but in a way I found the actual pursuit of that really thrilling - it really sharpens up your fighting knowledge in the game y'know? You know that you're losing a lot of progress if you choke, so it makes it even more important to pay attention and keep focused and I really enjoyed that element of it, funnily enough.

See, this is why you should be writing video games. Hell, so should I!

....you know any good workshops?

Dude you'd think whoever makes the glamors would take one look at Toad and his son and be like "bro here just take them, you seriously need them more than I need the money, dear GOD." I will say, the moment it's revealed that theyre wearing glamors was a pretty dope moment, I did not see that coming.

Unfortunately I don't - we'll find a way :lol:, just repeatedly send pitch ideas around the way films get made and hope something comes of it.

That was a great moment - caught me off guard too - especially what Gren looked like, the dude that looked like a store brand version of John Leguizamo. Then you think about it for a moment, and then it all clicks that it's exactly why they're expected to use glamours. Toad and little TJ might look a bit freaky, but unless you're me they don't look immediately terrifying ?

Oh you've got it on PS3, huh? Dang, one less potential partner if the online ends up ensnaring me after all.

I was going for the in game 100% because I've done that for the trilogy as well as IV (excluding online, of course!) and it seemed a shame to see that streak come to an end... but I got mixed up while doing the unique jumps and didn't keep track of which ones I'd done... that ended up being the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me!

Yep - I've got the PS3 version unfortunately - but I'm sure you and I can find something to buddy up with at some point in the future after we're done with RE5 though - if you and DrunkenEngineer end up going for The Last of Us I might be tempted to join in too. I owe it to myself to at least finish that game at some point I think - just to make sure I've not been horrifically misguided about dropping it completely all those years ago.

You're one up on me man! I never got that San Andreas hundo, I think. I guess I still could actually on the PS4 version - I'm pretty certain I did on GTAIV though.

Oh that sounds like a real arsepain - from what I remember of GTAV those stunt jumps were really finicky too - like they'd only register as complete if all four of your wheels hit the ground at the same time, and a specific spot. So I imagine having to do those from scratch might be a real pain!

I guess I'd better give the Kiwami 2 review a look over and then post it - sorry in advance to anyone for the fact it's pretty long, even for me.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Haha! Yes - those old load times are probably half the reason I never complain too much about load times all that much. 10 minutes is still a hell of a lot though - I remember Summoner on the PS2 (a game that's way better on PC, because of quicker loading times) that game had five minute loading screens, inbetween even areas of one big city, that was a little bit of a test of patience I guess.

I think I checked not too long ago how much those Commodore's were worth - and they weren't actually anywhere close to what I expected them to be. I think the games were actually, some of more pricey things.

Firstly, it's nice to see you back posting here again! 

My wife has The Summoner somewhere, she always liked that game but I never got around to trying it but wow didn't realise about those load times!

That's surprising news about the Commodore, though yeah sometimes retro games can be as expensive if not more than the console it was made for!

That's right - War in the North is a PS3 one - I thought I'd better knock that online trophy out whilst it's still available.

As you can see - Yakuza 3 ended up engrossing me far more than I expected it to, even if I didn't quite enjoy every single moment of it. It was an experience I won't forget in a hurry, so I think it's a positive thing in that respect.

Yes absolutely. Got to knock off those pesky online trophies before they start closing servers or there's like noone playing anymore.

Well from what I've seen and the time between your posts here, yes you were definitely engrossed in it. Glad it was positive overall ? What is the game you'd say you've been the most engrossed in btw?

I only really played Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on that Megadrive/Genesis collection that was released back on the PS3. But I rather enjoyed what I played of that one. I think I had Dr Mario on Gameboy too - I remember playing it on the SNES a lot - but I had one of those adapters that let you play GB games through the TV - which is how I used to like playing Pokemon back then, if I wasn't out and about.

I don't think I'd say I'm anywhere close to being a top player - but I reckon anyone that's done Puyo Puyo in Judgment would probably have an advantage going into Puyo Puyo Champions, so I might have to take a look at that one.

I never had a SNES so obviously never had a Super Game Boy, but yeah must have been really cool back in the day to be able to play Game Boy games on the TV. That would have taken Pokemon Blue to a whole new level for me! Dr Robotnik's MBM is fun definitely. Dr Mario too.

Wel I'm almost done with Puyo Puyo Champions, got a few puyos to pop for 100,000 total trophy and then there's the Prismatic Popper 4 trophy. That is a tough one but I'll get it eventually. Sadly for the 100,000 total puyos popped trophy, I had to implement an AFK method as it is a massive grind. If I was writing a trophy guide for it, the grind tag for that trophy would be the first thing I'd do lol

Easy - Lightning Returns story is this - The World is ending - it's split into four areas that are all different. BYEEEEEE.

Well it's a bit more to it than that - but until I force myself to review it (or someone else does :facepalm:,) I don't really want to give too much thought to that game to be perfectly honest haha.

Wow, well there you go then. Don't need to watch the ending anymore lol jokes

That could be a new thing for you - summarise the ending to a game in one sentence.

• Like 2

Well done on the Yakuza completions man! Going above and beyond the trophies is commendable indeed. There's always so many games to play, and more often then not I usually move on to the next, but there's always a game here and there that you absolutely love, and you're compelled to do everything there is no matter how insurmountable it may seem. I feel like this is what makes the essence of a game; to challenge you, to relax you, to destress you, to stress you... It's a whole mix of different things. There's people who play games for stories, for adventures, to excel and beat a hard goal-- when you set out to do everything however, then you're really getting everything there is to see and absorbing that all in.

With the Yakuza series especially, there's a whole lot of that going on; there's story, there's challenge. It can destress you but also stress you, and you get the feel for all of that, and you really submerge yourself in the intricacies of the series when you get to engage with everything it has in store.
I look to some trophy lists like Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart where the plat doesn't require you to achieve full completion, but I wish games would push for that since it lets you experience everything. In your case though, you went beyond trophies. If anything, experiencing everything beyond the trophy list will allow you to get more in-depth with other Yakuza reviews too, which is good! ? Heck, you were even able to pick apart the slight differences of combat with the different game engines!

• Like 2

Dear god that was one hell of a read xD I had to actually sit down for this one, you outdid yourself with the Kiwami 2 review :D 

I’ll just say this now – I think this game is fantastic – I might consider Yakuza 0 to be the peak in quality of the series, but Kiwami 2 really does give it a run for its money. It also – due to the existence of the Majima Saga campaign – serves as both a brilliant remake and a beautifully fitting Epilogue to some  loosely dangling plot threads left flailing around from Yakuza 0.

Honestly, Majima Saga is why I regard Kiwami 2 so high. I mean sure, Kiryu and the entire cast is cool but...Majima's Epilogue from Yakuza 0 ?. Majima is the best!

We’re here for Yakuza Kiwami 2 though, the battle of the dragons! The Dragon of  Dojima VS The Dragon of Kansai. Kiwami 2 sees a whole host of familiar faces return alongside plenty of memorable new ones. As Kiryu is once again embroiled in an astronomical mess that threatens to destroy the peaceful life he’s trying to build for himself and Haruka. Kiryu actually shares a fair few character traits with Michael Corleone across the first three instances of the Yakuza series, which is a nice little touch. He must fight to re-build the Tojo Clan, unravel the nefarious plot of The Jingweon Mafia – and explore Kiryu’s interactions with “The Yakuza Huntress” Kaoru Sayama (one of my favourite characters in the whole series).

Yep I have to agree here. Kaoru Sayama was one of my most favorite characters so far. 

Which makes me wonder - why didn't the devs/producers explore more in-depth their relationship in the next games? (Yakuza 3 beginning especially... ). Not sure what she does in Y4-5-6-7 yet, soooooo... I'll see (to avoid further spoilers xD )

As is often the case in any good story, a great protagonist – also needs a great villain to oppose that protagonist. Kuze in Yakuza 0 was tremendous, and as with many quality antagonists you can somewhat understand his motivations. You don’t have to like them, nor should you, but that knowledge is part of what makes them compelling. Ryuji Goda (The Dragon of Kansai) is almost the perfect foil for Kiryu. Whilst, yes – you can absolutely argue, that the “Two sides of the same coin” plot device is perhaps a little played out – but when it’s done as well as it’s done  here, you can’t really use it as a criticism.

Ryuji is one of the best antagonists across the entire series – there are plenty of moments when you absolutely despise him, but the game does such a tremendous job of making you understand him, perhaps even to like him. He and Kiryu essentially live by their own code, whilst each characters personal moral code differs; they align in far more ways than I think either character would wish to admit. It’s that amazingly complex duality between the two that has always been absolutely fascinating to me.

I know you’ll be sick of hearing how much I love Japanese film-making in these Yakuza reviews – but the way they employed cinematography, to really emphasise that duality between the two is a detail that just saying “I loved” is underselling.  I will always have a slightly softer spot than most for Yakuza Dead Souls, purely because of the amazing wrinkles that game added to Ryuji’s character – it’s one of those where you almost wish it could be canon just so that Yakuza 2 wasn’t all we got from him in an official capacity.

So here's a thing, which Yakuza fans will disagree mostly. Ryuji Goda is an amazing villain and an antithesis to Kiryu, that much is certain. I absolutely loved duking it out with him, punch after punch (although let's be honest, I Tiger Dropped his ass big time).

BUT he doesn't reach the highs of Yakuza 0.

I don't know, I felt that Kuze and Awano had much more of a presence than Ryuji. Somehow  they were more...imposing, more threatening, more Yakuza-ish. Maybe it's me, but I felt the looming threat was bigger from their side.

That and maybe I had the feeling of "omg what will Kiryu do, he's only 20ish". In Kiwami 2 Kiryu is already a murder machine who beat waves after waves of yakuzas xD 

For as much as I love Judgment as a spin-off series, and I do, I think it’s fantastic. You know what I’d love even more? A spin-off dedicated to Kaoru Sayama. I understand Haruka is the canon “first female protagonist” in the series. Hear me out for a minute though – a game solely based on Sayama could have been absolutely incredible. She’s a strong, independent female character, one that is instantly likeable – doesn’t stand for any nonsense from anyone, can hold her own in a fight – and already possesses the moniker “The Yakuza Huntress.” That one seems to write itself almost – Judgment has already proven that a story where the Yakuza themselves being on the periphery of the story, yet still important, can absolutely still be successful. I’d play that in a heartbeat. I’ve even got a few ideas where you could feasibly make a game based on her character in a post Yakuza 6 setting. There’s some really interesting potential stories to be explored with her character.

That's what I would like also xD she got the skill, sass and the combos. 

-- the Dragon engine bit --

As fun as the Dragon Engine is, I think I prefer the original combat. Because, as you said, there is some weight behind Kiryu's punches. In Dragon Engine I felt I was poking the enemies (minus Tiger Drops, that is just as impactful). Spinning an enemy and hitting others with that enemy is fun, true, but nothing would replace the "oomph" of that combo where Kiryu just punches 3 times, slams the poor goon into the ground then grabs his neck and smashes his face in. 

However I heard that indeed Judgment has a way better Dragon Engine iteration. Can't wait to try that one!

There's so much more to mention about Kiwami 2, but I will stop here because I would just re-repeat your review xD 

Well done, this truly is a wonderful series, can't wait to see you write for Yakuza 3 . And yeah, a break is in order after that one.

Also screw Cabaret in Yakuza 3, that thing sucks!

• Like 2