rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

On 3/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, rjkclarke said:

That's the real curse haha! Maybe we ought to start a Checklist book group like a couple of old ladies ?.... Perhaps that's the solution to finally cutting our reading backlog down a bit xD

Shit, I'm down. I'll even take up knitting as well, why not? Last one I read was Steve Martin's Shopgirl, which I found shockingly bad.

That is quite the collection dude, impressive! It's a shame my eyesight is a bit crap, as I don't quite have laser vision. I'm sure I spied Barton Fink and Friday amongst those, as well as some others that after glancing over at one of my big shelves I can see quite a bit of overlap in what the DVD spines look like

Why thank you! I imagine yours dwarfs mine though, what with your penchant for physically bought media coupled with your extensive cinema knowledge (not to mention a certain fictional doctor). I will say though...

Just don't display the ones you think are duds, just put those in a shoebox somewhere people won't see them.

...I do own Crash. A preachy, overly maudlin and dramatic film, but for whatever reason I've always liked it.

I must admit though, I think purely down to convenience since the PS4 generation I tend to buy more games physically than not, but I really think that is down to convenience alone. As you say that feeling of putting in a disc is pretty satisfying, it must be said.

The PS4 has turned me into a dirty degenerate digital shopper, and I take no pride in admitting this - the PS store absolutely ruined me in this regard, and it opened my eyes to how much so when I went on a shopping mission to procure PS3 games... I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the act of simply browsing in a physical store!

I hadn't really thought about those Chapter Inserts going away being a thing, but then I guess it just became ingrained in me not to notice. I did think it was odd when I bought a used copy of I think it was Benny and Joon a couple of years ago and it had those in it, I remember at the time thinking it was cool that they were there. Just never thought about the significance of it too much.

Ah, Benny and Joon, another 90s af classic. When I first started buying DVDs it was the norm for them to all come with that insert, then I wanna say around '08 or so that just kinda stopped. Maybe I have more completionist genes than I realize, but to this day that still bothers me!

I haven't thought about that Clerks quip for a good while haha! I'm a bit on the fence about Clerks III coming out this year. I haven't actually gotten around to watching Jay and Silent Bob Reboot yet,

Neither have I! Clerks II was surprisingly enjoyable I thought, though of course not without its flaws. I do remember Strike Back being cool at the time but for me it didn't hold up as well as I would've hoped upon re-watch. Still good, but eh...

On 3/19/2022 at 3:17 AM, The_Kopite said:

I remember there was codes to enable the blood but think that was for the SNES versions, or maybe the Mega Drive too? I can't remember. Can't think if there was ever a Game Boy or Game Gear version of those games either but I do distinctly remember playing Street Fighter 2 on the Game Boy lol

I've never watched The Crow, but heard it's a pretty dark film and then well there's the real life death of the actor on set so yeah..

I remember blood codes being a thing too? if memory serves though the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive just had blood as it was. It got marketed as the cooler system on the back of things like that!

I think The Crow is kinda like The Goonies in that if you didn't see it at its peak, you probably won't get the most possible enjoyment out of it. Cool flick though, if you're about gritty supernatural shit then a watch certainly couldn't hurt ya!

Look at me, talkin like I'm Majima?

On 3/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #347

Chicken Police (PS4)

Ldb4159.png

Excellent work as always my friend, and you may have just made a sale. Looking at my recs for the year, you're pretty comfortably in the lead so far!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I remember blood codes being a thing too? if memory serves though the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive just had blood as it was. It got marketed as the cooler system on the back of things like that!

I think The Crow is kinda like The Goonies in that if you didn't see it at its peak, you probably won't get the most possible enjoyment out of it. Cool flick though, if you're about gritty supernatural shit then a watch certainly couldn't hurt ya!

Look at me, talkin like I'm Majima?

Yes of course! Genesis does what Nintendon't! Though of course it's the Sega Mega Drive but there you go lol

Well I watched The Goonies 1 or 2 years ago, and can't say I disagree with your statement. It was ok, but that was about it for me tbh. It was one of those that the wife highly recommended to me but yeah think I watched it too late. Ferris Bueller's Day Off was another one.

Just looked up 'Majima' and it says they are a character from Yakuza, which I've never played so yeah...lol

• Like 1

Just a random fact: I also started playing Child of Light and:

On 3/14/2022 at 3:29 AM, rjkclarke said:

I could quite imagine that this might be one of the more divisive areas of the game – I suspect you’ll either find this charming, or you’ll probably find it irritating. I found it to be pretty charming – I really appreciated how creative they had to get to fit certain rhymes in, and I can always appreciate an obviously large effort like that.

Whilst we’re on that subject, that rhyming scheme did scramble my brain for a while. I remember after playing the game for a good four hours or so in one session, whenever I’d read something – in my head, it would be in this odd almost rhythmic cadence you’d get from rhyming. If any of you played it and had that same effect I’d love to know, otherwise I should probably seek some professional help.

No need to seek professional help, I also started rhyming everything around. Trust me it's worse when your main language isn't English xD 

Anyway just dropping by to say - thanks for this review, else I would have ignored the game. Now that I am playing it, damn it's a fun one! Digging the Turn Based mechanics.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:49 PM, rjkclarke said:

Well I can't exactly say to you...... "You should totally watch E.T"..... I've made no secret on this thread and Smevz' too that E.T terrifies me, and has done since I was about 3 1f602.png.....

I will say this though, for what it's worth.It is a very good film, it still creeps me out, but it is absolutely worth watching it.

Clearly I've missed that lol sorry

My wife loves that film so one day she will get me to watch it lol it will happen, like The Goonies.

That sounds really cool with the PS4 lightbar actually being used for something functional in a game, because off the top of my head I can't really think of that actually getting utilised all that often.

The fact that you'd buy it for around £10 still means it's worth playing, so that's awesome to know.... I'll have to look into bumping it up the list a little bit. Concrete Genie isn't very long either from what I understand, so it isn't like it would take an insane amount of time to play through it.

Now that I've finished it, I would definitely recommend Concrete Genie. It helps that it was a PS Plus freebie (What do you think about the new announcement of the tiers btw?) but I had it on my 'to buy list' long before that and can confirm that I would have been definitely been happy paying a tenner for it. Maybe a not great quirk (unless you have PSVR) for completionists is that there are 3 trophies that can only be obtained with PSVR so it will sit at a 95% platinum for me which I'm perfectly happy with. Nice story (Wasn't as keen with the gameplay turn towards the end of the story but it was fair enough), fun gameplay with additional use of the lightbar (shocker lol) and around 8-10 hours for a platinum really so I'd say to you, check it out! Bump it up that list a bit! 

Also don't forget about Horizon Chase Turbo! Can't remember if you have it as a PS Plus freebie, but it's on sale right now with the Aryton Senna DLC (which I haven't played) but worth worth the price it's on sale at right now.

That's exactly it isn't it!..... I think you said it perfectly, you at least know what you're getting with Magus, but when you know something has a bigger budget, or you have a certain expectation about it and it still ends up sucking, then that is just unforgivable.

Absolutely agree 100%

On 3/29/2022 at 2:23 AM, rjkclarke said:

Would I recommend Erica? That’s tough to say, I’m genuinely not sure, I think so, but with a few huge caveats. The game definitely got me interested in the FMV Game genre, something I’m quite excited to explore more of. But as far as the pursuit of the platinum trophy is concerned, playing through the game multiple times in a short timeframe can definitely become a bit of a chore, so perhaps it might be better to dip in and out than play it quickly, like I did.  

Erica is another PS Plus freebie, I haven't downloaded but have debated whether to do so or not. That review has certainly helped me decide (along with trying to trim this backlog down) to not bother at the moment with it. Thanks.

• Like 1

@rjkclarke Also just wanted to say that my new guide has been published! Still working on bits of it and it certainly could have been better, but I'm proud of what I achieved! As I've said to you before though, I'm never doing a guide of that scope on my own ever again! lol 

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/13652-final-fantasy-x-hd-the-remaster-supplement-guide

• Like 2

On 30/03/2022 at 4:10 PM, The_Kopite said:

Clearly I've missed that lol sorry

My wife loves that film so one day she will get me to watch it lol it will happen, like The Goonies.

Don't worry about it, I've only mentioned it maybe four times - I wouldn't expect many people to remember ?

I hope you enjoy E.T though because it's a pretty damn good film even if it does make me want to sleep with the light on for about a week! ?

Now that I've finished it, I would definitely recommend Concrete Genie. It helps that it was a PS Plus freebie (What do you think about the new announcement of the tiers btw?) but I had it on my 'to buy list' long before that and can confirm that I would have been definitely been happy paying a tenner for it. Maybe a not great quirk (unless you have PSVR) for completionists is that there are 3 trophies that can only be obtained with PSVR so it will sit at a 95% platinum for me which I'm perfectly happy with. Nice story (Wasn't as keen with the gameplay turn towards the end of the story but it was fair enough), fun gameplay with additional use of the lightbar (shocker lol) and around 8-10 hours for a platinum really so I'd say to you, check it out! Bump it up that list a bit! 

That is very good to hear then - I've heard so many differing opinions on that game, but I've still always been pretty interested in it. Especially as it's pretty short, so even if I didn't have the best time with it, it's not as if I could complain all too much about how long it took.

I can live with having 3 unearned DLC trophies for VR though. VR makes me pretty ill, so I'm fine with it sitting at 95% too, and if I ever change my mind about it, I'm sure one of my friends wouldn't mind me using his VR set for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info! I might just have to give it a bump up then.

I'm kind of intrigued by the new tiered version of PSPlus. I think the allure of having a library of older titles to download will certainly catch peoples eye! Maybe myself too, because being able to play some PS1 and PS2 games without having to actually have the consoles set up is definitely an attractive prospect. It'd be nice if the reintroduced that PS2 games with trophies thing that they abandoned a while ago, but that might be wishful thinking.

What's your take on the whole tiered system thing?

Also don't forget about Horizon Chase Turbo! Can't remember if you have it as a PS Plus freebie, but it's on sale right now with the Aryton Senna DLC (which I haven't played) but worth worth the price it's on sale at right now.

Thanks for this reminder too, I appreciate that. I do have the PSPlus version, but if the DLC is on sale as well then I might have to pick that up and jump on in with the game, it's definitely one of those games that keeps flitting into my mind from time to time, and I've even had it installed on my console for quite a while, so perhaps soon would be a good time to actually take the plunge with that one.

Erica is another PS Plus freebie, I haven't downloaded but have debated whether to do so or not. That review has certainly helped me decide (along with trying to trim this backlog down) to not bother at the moment with it. Thanks.

That's probably for the best. I guess this is another case of "I played it, so you don't have to" haha xD. Like I said it's a fairly good experience once or twice, but then the more you play it the less you enjoy it. Or I did at least. I think there are some FMV games out there that are probably a little more interesting that I'm looking forward to exploring in the future.

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

@rjkclarke Also just wanted to say that my new guide has been published! Still working on bits of it and it certainly could have been better, but I'm proud of what I achieved! As I've said to you before though, I'm never doing a guide of that scope on my own ever again! lol 

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/13652-final-fantasy-x-hd-the-remaster-supplement-guide

Oh damn dude! That is very impressive, and it let me jump on and give this one the five stars you deserve as I actually own the game. NOW I know exactly what you mean about the guide being so labour intensive, I had no idea it was this game you were working on, Absolutely stellar job as usual though, with an incredibly impressive attention to detail.

I'm sure @YaManSmevz mentioned to me at some point last year that he was planning to play through Final Fantasy X in the future, so I think your guide might end up being super helpful for him, especially as you covered pretty much all bases in very intricate detail. Hats off mate! Let's hope you get yourself another guide of the year nomination for this one too!

Interesting that it's Final Fantasy X you wrote a guide for. That was the review I keep putting off finishing that I mentioned a couple of weeks back that you'd probably find interesting. I'm planning on doing that and FF X-2 soon-ish if I can/

I guess, I'd better go post my latest review too actually.

• Like 3

Oh man, this game :D:D brings up memories. Not necessarily good. Obviously, congrats are in order, I also took the liberty of adding you to the Hall of Fame in the UR event, you are the only player who actually got this game done within the time limit xD 

Now let's start!

35 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

For what it’s worth, I think at this point you can safely say that Souls-likes are a genre all of their own. There is of course, nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from something and making a concerted effort to create something unique.

That being said – Deck 13 have created a huge problem for themselves with Lords of the Fallen, in that almost nothing about it feels unique. I’m not exaggerating either. Lords of the Fallen in a way feels like a paint-by-numbers approximation of Dark Souls, if the only available colours were grey and beige. That doesn’t mean there isn’t fun to be had with the game though, because I did enjoy the game, I just wouldn’t expect it to blow people away at all.

Honestly for me, the only game worse than a bad game is a boring game. And sadly the biggest reason why I can't stand LotF is that it's incredibly dull. Not only it copy/pasted from the Souls formula without adding too much innovation (that souls recovery system countdown wasn't much of an innovation), it was so bland and...meh it really got me snoozing throughout the entire game. This was the textbook Souls porridge: Bland and odorless, there to only keep you alive.

Thank god Deck13 improved by leaps and bounds with The Surge. That game is a completely different thing.

I know these kinds of games aren’t designed with platforming in mind, but if you’re going to have platforming, even in the smallest form, then it should at least work. In Lords of the Fallen’s case I’m not quite sure it does. It’s incredibly imprecise, there’s a knack to it though, it’s almost as if you have to jump too early, or at least earlier than you think, because the roll that comes straight afterwards is more than a little lengthy (an understatement, if there ever was one). Outside of a few specific bosses, I think I died far more to imprecise jumping than I ever did to regular enemies.

This is what I also remembered. Harkyn did a hiccup when jumping and my god was he jumping like a drunk frog. Not sure why did the developers insist on platforming of all things but eh.

I feel as if the bosses could have been designed a little better on a mechanical level – aside from maybe The Guardian and The Keeper (who we’ll get to later in the DLC section) a lot of the bosses have some very specific attacks that seem far more straightforward to telegraph and punish. I’m not saying I necessarily wanted them to be made harder, perhaps just a little more punishing, or less obviously exploitable.

Half the fun – for me at least, in these type of games is learning attack patterns and openings, through repeated attempts, whereas with some bosses in this game. It’s sometimes the very first attack that they use on you that can give you a very obvious opening.  

I really love it when you face a foe or section in a video game that you keep dying to, yet you always know every time that it was your fault, forcing you to improve yourself to get through, both the bosses I mentioned gave me that feeling, so I was very glad for that.

For me the bosses had another fault. It's not that they are too simple - heck, The Surge has trivial bosses too - but they are not memorable. Starting from their name. The only ones that I remember are the duo fuckers from the sewers and the DLC boss that you mention. The rest? Idk there was a boss who was spinning with a sword...I think.

I don’t really have anything positive or negative to say about the soundtrack, there isn’t anything predominantly bad about it, yet nothing about it really stands out in any meaningful way either. For some reason I don’t like using the word adequate, but it’s pretty much the only appropriate word to describe the sound design, it’s another element that doesn’t really stand out at all.  

It had a soundtrack???? ?

DLC

The Ancient Labyrinth

L76ae64.png

So this piece of shit DLC....

My god!

This is where our opinions differ the most xD you think this DLC improved the game, I believed that the DLC was the final nail in the coffin.

The concept - I agree, the labyrinth was interesting and the boss was abit more fleshed out, especially having to figure out how to deal with the instakill mechanic.

But the enemies - oh LORD THE ENEMIES were so SHIT it robbed me of all enjoyment.

My first playthrough was a dexterity assassin. It's kinda how I usually play so I went full on crazy with this class. Imagine arriving in this hell hole with NO magic defense and NO way to counter those fuckers except some teleportation invisible insta-stab that 2 shot them. And no I had no proper stat to even bother with any magic resistance because my assassin couldn't wear the armors for...some reason. And obviously enemies LOVED to teleport towards my location and whomp me with the big hammeridoos.

God I hated this DLC with a passion xD 

But well, Lords of the Fallen 2 was announced, by a DIFFERENT team. Curious how that will turn out. Meanwhile, awesome read, waiting for you to start a Souls game on a Playstation console as well :D 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #348

Lords of the Fallen (PS4)

Sweet write up, my man!

I’ll try and avoid making that Dark Souls comparison too often, but it is unfortunately unavoidable. I don’t want to sound too much like that South Park episode where you constantly hear “Simpsons did it” just with Simpsons replaced with Dark Souls.

For what it’s worth, I think at this point you can safely say that Souls-likes are a genre all of their own. There is of course, nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from something and making a concerted effort to create something unique.

I guess, in a way, the biggest claim to fame Lords of the Fallen has is that - in a technical sense - it is the game that created the Souls-like genre. Yes, that sounds dumb when I write it down... but by being so slavishly devoted to the style FROM started, and aping it (however inferiorly) they effectively demonstrated that Souls-like was a genre, accessible to other developers, and not just a single developers signature style.

I mean, if you take the idea that for a genre to actually be a genre, and not just a style, it needs to have both positive and negative examples within it, the Deck 13 accidentally fell on the sword for the whole genre - creating the first "Meh-Souls", and defining the scope of the genre....

...so.... congrats, Deck 13? :hmm::hmm: ?

For some reason, and one that I haven’t quite figured out yet, I actually really enjoyed speedrunning this game, especially when going for the final two trophies for playing as the two different magic types. Whilst the gameplay is a little flawed in a few places, I actually found it incredibly satisfying to just run through once I’d figured out each areas specific layout. To put it in perspective, my first playthrough took about thirty hours – give or take, and I was at about thirty-eight by the time I had achieved the platinum and one hundred percent, if you’re an efficient speedrunner, that didn’t get sidetracked killing things and opening chests for fun, you could cut that down even further.

You know - I was thinking about this exact phenomenon recently - due to Elden Ring.

A lot of folks did the whole "Save/Loading" thing at the end of Elden Ring to see all the endings in a single playthrough, and while I'm not judging, (I did it too, for a couple of the endings, and also, play your games as you like, not how other people tell ya!) I do think they missed out on one of the really enjoyable, satisfying parts of the genre - the "Catharsis Run"!

Elden Ring took me like 100 hours to do my first playthrough, and I found a lot of bosses truly tough... but in that second playthrough, I stormed through 90% of the critical path in like 3 hours! Once your skills have been honed to perfection, there is something so goddamned satisfying about absolutely blasting your way through the game again, wrecking the bosses who had cause you so much trouble before! 

Every previous Souls game has some version of that - Sekiro, I remember being particularly satisfying - but it just feels great - you go from being the hunted to the hunter - like picking up the blip in PacMan, and suddenly seeing all the ghosts start fleeing!

It's like a reward for all the effort you put in to learn the bosses and the mechanics the first time - a way for you to get closure for all that initial suffering, and to me, it's as much a part of the genre as estus flasks, bonfires mechanics and animation-priority combat!

You know how the Soulsbornesekireldenring games (trying saying that after a few drinks) are famed for having fairly obtuse, yet incredibly rich lore? Lords of the Fallen seemed to decide, right, let’s add lore, but make it as dull and uninteresting as possible so that the person playing the game can care about our world we’ve created as little as possible. It’s a shame because there are interesting things they could have done with the ideas and the universe they’ve set up; I just didn’t feel as if they added to anything in a positive way.

That's true - the Pagan-like thing could have yielded more - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that at some point, a Pagan-like Souls-like will happen elsewhere, and it will work better - it just needs a bit more interesting narrative to bolster the stylings.

I know these kinds of games aren’t designed with platforming in mind, but if you’re going to have platforming, even in the smallest form, then it should at least work. In Lords of the Fallen’s case I’m not quite sure it does.

Ain't that the truth! ?

I feel as if the bosses could have been designed a little better on a mechanical level – aside from maybe The Guardian and The Keeper (who we’ll get to later in the DLC section) a lot of the bosses have some very specific attacks that seem far more straightforward to telegraph and punish. I’m not saying I necessarily wanted them to be made harder, perhaps just a little more punishing, or less obviously exploitable.

Half the fun – for me at least, in these type of games is learning attack patterns and openings, through repeated attempts, whereas with some bosses in this game. It’s sometimes the very first attack that they use on you that can give you a very obvious opening.  

I really love it when you face a foe or section in a video game that you keep dying to, yet you always know every time that it was your fault, forcing you to improve yourself to get through, both the bosses I mentioned gave me that feeling, so I was very glad for that.

Some of the visual elements of Lords of the Fallen are – it must be said, quite interesting, but never particularly standout. For a game that was released in 2014, and is probably on the lower budget end of the spectrum, the graphical quality is much better than I expected. The visual designs of locations are all fairly well done, if a little unoriginal. Something I personally really enjoyed was the distinct differences between locations in between the human and Rhogar, even down to smaller aspects, like the distinct differences between fixtures, fittings and even furniture between the two locations. The enemy designs are suitably grotesque, across the board.  Especially a few specific bosses like The Worshipper and The Infiltrator. The final boss particularly so, which you can see an example of in the platinum screenshot at the top of the page.

I thought some of the visual design on the enemies and boses were actually pretty good - they were only really let down by some janky looking animations. The actual sketches of the designs, I'd bet, looked pretty awesome!

There's no enemies that would really be obviously lower-tier in terms of design if they were slipped into a FROM souls-game, it's just that the game goes for a more cohesive look, and so there isn't the level of slightly playful, off-kilter elements to the enemies. You never see an enemy and think "What the hell is that?"... they all just kinda look... how you expect them to look.

Not a crime... but in a genre where "What the hell is that?" is an intrinsic part, that made it all feel a bit bland by comparison!

DLC

The Ancient Labyrinth

I firmly believe that without the DLC Lords of the Fallen is a far lesser experience. I’m not suggesting that the DLC elevates it to greatness, but I do feel as if it does stop the game from being wholly generic and fairly unoriginal. It adds a lot of intrigue to a few elements only briefly touched upon in the main story. One of those being the enigmatic blacksmith – getting to spend a little more time with that character, was a real highlight.

It must be said, that The Anicent Labyrinth does something far better than the main game did, which was to build and maintain a unique atmosphere. Even the one NPC that you interact with, The Mysterious Stranger is very intriguing and during my time with the DLC I wanted to know as much as possible about him.

Whilst the core enemy designs found within the DLC leave a little to be desired – they are after all, just ghost versions of the human enemies from the base game. The singular boss The Keeper, more than makes up for it in his design, however. He’s referred to as “The Lost Rhogar Lord” and he does look like a Rhogar Lord, but distinctly different too, in his own unique way.

Where the DLC really shines – is in the area design. I thought it was incredibly well done, when there’s a word like labyrinth in the title, you have a certain expectation from just the word alone. It absolutely is labyrinthine too. The way it works is through an interconnected ring system, where different areas are discovered by pulling levers inside the rings, leading to further areas, sometimes needing to be pulled multiple times.

The pursuit of trophies is actually one of the best things about this DLC as it causes you to see all there is to offer within the labyrinth. I’ll be perfectly honest, some of the most fun I had during this game, was exploring every single nook and cranny of the labyrinth, alongside fighting the area boss.

Due to the build that I’d given myself (pretty balanced) I was getting killed by The Keeper fairly regularly – this caused me to rethink my strategy massively. The Keeper is a phased boss fight, so he has to hit three distinct phases, and damage himself enough before you can make the killing blow. I thought that was quite a unique way to structure a boss fight.  What ended up working for me in the end was this odd combination of doing some damage, then switching to an armour set with high magic resistance quickly to take a few hits that you can’t avoid easily. Then it was a case of switching back, to do a little damage again until his shield was permanently gone, then going in for the kill. Of course that isn’t the intended way to do it, but it worked, even if jumping into the menu continuously did break up the flow of the fight a little bit.

Totally agree on the DLC - way better than the main game, and actually, something of a demonstration that with more time, Deck 13 are perfectly capable of doing Souls-like much more competently. The showed it, of course, in The Surge - but I wouldn't necessarily roll my eyes at the idea of Lords of the Fallen 2....

... I bet that they know so much more now, and could make it something worthy of the genre!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Don't worry about it, I've only mentioned it maybe four times - I wouldn't expect many people to remember 1f602.png

I hope you enjoy E.T though because it's a pretty damn good film even if it does make me want to sleep with the light on for about a week! 1f606.png

I'll bet I'll enjoy it enough when I do eventually watch it haha

That is very good to hear then - I've heard so many differing opinions on that game, but I've still always been pretty interested in it. Especially as it's pretty short, so even if I didn't have the best time with it, it's not as if I could complain all too much about how long it took.

I can live with having 3 unearned DLC trophies for VR though. VR makes me pretty ill, so I'm fine with it sitting at 95% too, and if I ever change my mind about it, I'm sure one of my friends wouldn't mind me using his VR set for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info! I might just have to give it a bump up then.

I'm kind of intrigued by the new tiered version of PSPlus. I think the allure of having a library of older titles to download will certainly catch peoples eye! Maybe myself too, because being able to play some PS1 and PS2 games without having to actually have the consoles set up is definitely an attractive prospect. It'd be nice if the reintroduced that PS2 games with trophies thing that they abandoned a while ago, but that might be wishful thinking.

What's your take on the whole tiered system thing?

No, certainly it is something you could rip through in a weekend easily I'd say.

I really want to try VR one day, but I know lots of people have had bad experiences with it and can't play for long before feeling sick. Sucks to hear you are one of those people. 

You are very welcome!

It would be nice if the PS2 games with trophies thing was there again absolutely. Can you imagine if they put (even simple) trophies for all PS1, PS2 and PSP games on that specific tier they are offering? Would be insane, but probably cost too much lol

I think it's a good strategy by Sony to get rid of PS Now as a brand and bring it all into one brand, the stronger PS Plus brand. Sadly I haven't got the time to make going to a higher tier worth the price, even though I'm sure it would easily pay for itself. 

Returnal is going to be one of the games offered when the service comes in, and it'll have been out around a year I think by that time, so will Sony start doing that with a lot (possibly thought not likely all) of their big first party studio games? It's an interesting thought.

Thanks for this reminder too, I appreciate that. I do have the PSPlus version, but if the DLC is on sale as well then I might have to pick that up and jump on in with the game, it's definitely one of those games that keeps flitting into my mind from time to time, and I've even had it installed on my console for quite a while, so perhaps soon would be a good time to actually take the plunge with that one.

Well I definitely think you'll have good fun with it, so go for it if you want! If you do, let me know what you think!

That's probably for the best. I guess this is another case of "I played it, so you don't have to" haha xD. Like I said it's a fairly good experience once or twice, but then the more you play it the less you enjoy it. Or I did at least. I think there are some FMV games out there that are probably a little more interesting that I'm looking forward to exploring in the future.

Yes, I would be interested in playing one properly at some point. Maybe this one isn't the one. Appreciate the review though. Helped me to make up my mind.

Oh damn dude! That is very impressive, and it let me jump on and give this one the five stars you deserve as I actually own the game. NOW I know exactly what you mean about the guide being so labour intensive, I had no idea it was this game you were working on, Absolutely stellar job as usual though, with an incredibly impressive attention to detail.

I'm sure @YaManSmevz mentioned to me at some point last year that he was planning to play through Final Fantasy X in the future, so I think your guide might end up being super helpful for him, especially as you covered pretty much all bases in very intricate detail. Hats off mate! Let's hope you get yourself another guide of the year nomination for this one too!

Interesting that it's Final Fantasy X you wrote a guide for. That was the review I keep putting off finishing that I mentioned a couple of weeks back that you'd probably find interesting. I'm planning on doing that and FF X-2 soon-ish if I can/

Really appreciate you giving me 5 stars for the guide and those positive words. Thanks! Yeah I knew you'd get it when you saw the guide lol never again am I doing that big of a guide on my own. Happy that it's on 4 stars overall at the moment, it's gratifying to see along with all the positive comments on there. It's not a perfect guide, far from it but I'm proud of what I achieved and hopefully it'll help others.

@YaManSmevz If you do end up playing FFX in the future, let me know if my guide helps you a little at least! That'd be really nice :) 

Really looking forward to those FFX and FFX-2 reviews! Bring it on I say!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I expect I'll tear through Concrete Genie at some point once I've played through NieR: Replicant. That's the downside to me breaking my usual habit and specifically setting aside an allocated game for a milestone. Usually I'd take what comes up, but here I am not too far off of 349, getting ready to play it. After that though, I guess anything is on the table really.

If you know someone who has VR I'd suggest having a go with that first, then you'll be able to see if its for you. I tried it once for about ten minutes and my body definitely didn't seem to like it, but you might be completely different so definitely give it a go! Might open up a whole new avenue of gaming possibilities for you.

Sounds the same with me. On 249 at the mo and trying to make RE2R 250 milestone, then it's time to rip through more games to trim this backlog lol 

I'd love to have a go on VR but sadly I don't know anyone who has it which is a shame. Hopefully it would be alright for me as the potential of VR is pretty phenomenal and exciting for sure. 

I don't think that PS2/PSP etc..... with trophies thing is completely off the cards you know. I remember having a discussion with a friend a while ago after I think we'd read somewhere that a patent was extended to do with the PS2-PS4 emulation for trophies type thing to include other platforms, so we speculated at the time they might try to bring it to other platforms in the future if the technology would allow it.

I'd love to see some trophies in those older titles - but then they'd be fighting a constant battle between all the consumers that want to live in the past (and there are quite a few) by just playing old games, so they'd definitely need to find that balance. I guess people who are into trophies make up a much smaller proportion of Sony's user base though, so even if they don't have trophies I'd be glad of another way to play those games without having to physically load up that console.

I think PS Now going is probably the right move too - even though I quite like it. It just doesn't have the appeal for a lot of people even after the rebrand. You hit the nail on the head though, how many people are actually going to have the tangible free time to actually play the games that they'll end up paying so much extra for, to have access to.

That would be interesting if Sony started doing that with their first party titles, especially if it ends up being around a year in-between them going onto the service, a bit like how it's usually a year or so before a film goes onto a streaming service these days if it's not one that's released straight onto there.

If the tech would allow it, then I'd love Sony to implement it and I bet they would get so many sales from doing that honestly. To be fair people who want to play the older games usually are collectors who have their PS1's, PS2's etc and therefore can just play the original proper way if they don't want to deal with any trophies. 

I liked PS Now for what it was. Appreciated being able to get 2 free 7 day trials out of it and being able to access the pretty decent collection of games there, of which some would have cost a fair bit for a physical copy. Sadly it wasn't worth more than those free trials for me due to not having the time to play them. The concept and value proposition is definitely there and great, even if it can't compete with Game Pass. Microsoft are willing to loss lead though in order to get those subs due to the seemingly endless amounts of money they have, whereas Sony are like most companies and need to actually make money from these services.

If Sony did carry on implementing their massive first party titles around a year or so after release, then considering how long it takes me to play the games I have then if I could get the backlog considerably down, then maybe it would become worth it as for me those titles would be new.

I think The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker is a pretty good FMV one, for what it's worth. So that might be one to look at. I really liked that, and it's fairly unique in that almost everyone's playhthrough will be slightly different, as who the killer is, is randomised before every playthrough, so it means your experience of it will often be a little different to how some others are.

I will look into this game, not sure if I've heard of it before. Maybe it popped up in one of my PLAY mags......

That's a clever way of going about it. Those types of games can get tiresome playing through multiple times when the main story and outcome is pretty much the same.

You're welcome! You deserve them, that guide must have taken an insane amount of time, and dedication - there is a whole lot going on in that game, so to get down as much of that complex information in there is going to end up helping a whole lot of people. You should be proud too - I feel pretty confident that will help a whole lot of people. Especially the fact you gave people options too. One example is when you wrote the section about methods for obtaining lots of gil, you didn't just stick to one, you gave plenty of suggestions, which will really help those that find just doing one thing continuously really frustrating.

To be honest it took over a month and a lot of hours were put in each day when and where I could do so. My wife thought at one point I was just glued to it lol 

I am proud definitely, and I truly hope that it will help out a decent amount of people. Certainly the comments I have received on the guide itself have been really fantastic and I;ve been very grateful for them. 

Yeah I tried my best to offer up as many options as possible where I could, as I know that offering up just one when there are so many can be annoying for some.

That's awesome to read man! Thanks. I'm playing a little bit of catchup right now, but once I've gotten Detroit's  review  written, then I'll be doing FFX and X-2 as the next two Classic Reviews, problem is I know FFX is going to go quite long reading wise. Even if I'm pretty brief in certain areas, I love that game too much to cut corners with it, a bit like with your guide. Where you basically covered almost everything you could conceivably think of, like even the armours and weapons from airship locations you don't actually need to go to for trophy purposes. 1f602.png

Yeah I've just seen that, looking forward to them defo! :)

I won't care how long they are, the more quality content the better I say! lol 

lol I was just trying to be as thorough as possible, and hopefully people will appreciate that. I know they do appreciate that with your indepth reviews.

I had to a double-take for a moment, because I thought it was a late April Fools joke, I genuinely had to check the date on when it was posted on Twitter to make sure, but I'm so glad that it isn't.

Kudos to @DrunkenEngineer for posting this. Brill news for you man, I know how much you love Monkey Island so hopefully it'll turn out how you want! ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Sounds the same with me. On 249 at the mo and trying to make RE2R 250 milestone, then it's time to rip through more games to trim this backlog lol 

I'd love to have a go on VR but sadly I don't know anyone who has it which is a shame. Hopefully it would be alright for me as the potential of VR is pretty phenomenal and exciting for sure. 

I hope you enjoy your time with RE2: Remake. Then you'd get another one of your favourite franchises pinned down onto another milestone too.  I really ought to play that one, I've wanted to for the longest time but I just haven't. Same with RE3 especially as I never played the original because of being too terrified of Nemesis ?.

Oh that's a pain about VR, because otherwise it's a hell of a gamble to buy something that might turn your front room/gaming area into a lake of vomit. There's certainly bucket loads of potential for VR to be awesome, so if you do try it, hopefully it'll be something you'll get onboard with. Doc's found a few VR games that you can play without moving too much, so it would seem like there's a few even I could manage to just about enjoy without ruining all of my carpets and furniture. ?

If the tech would allow it, then I'd love Sony to implement it and I bet they would get so many sales from doing that honestly. To be fair people who want to play the older games usually are collectors who have their PS1's, PS2's etc and therefore can just play the original proper way if they don't want to deal with any trophies. 

I liked PS Now for what it was. Appreciated being able to get 2 free 7 day trials out of it and being able to access the pretty decent collection of games there, of which some would have cost a fair bit for a physical copy. Sadly it wasn't worth more than those free trials for me due to not having the time to play them. The concept and value proposition is definitely there and great, even if it can't compete with Game Pass. Microsoft are willing to loss lead though in order to get those subs due to the seemingly endless amounts of money they have, whereas Sony are like most companies and need to actually make money from these services.

If Sony did carry on implementing their massive first party titles around a year or so after release, then considering how long it takes me to play the games I have then if I could get the backlog considerably down, then maybe it would become worth it as for me those titles would be new.

You're probably right - I think I was just getting a bit snarky about the subsection of gamers these days that seem to want to live solely in gamings past, instead of embracing all of the awesome new things that are coming our way. I'm a little guilty of that too on occasion, as a lot of us are, I suspect. But I'll always try and strike a healthy balance if I can. I'd be well up for those implementations if they did happen though. If someone offered me the chance to play Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, or Legacy of Kain:Soul Reaver pretty much untouched, but with trophies I'd be there in a heartbeat.

That's a good point about PSNow. Although I think whether you think it's worth the money or not is up to you, whenever I've had it, I've always used it for games I wouldn't really feel happy paying full price for, so if I can knock out a few of those for however much it is a month these days, I usually think it's money well spent, so I guess it all depends on how you view it. I certainly think you can get your moneys worth out of it if you chose to, but then that requires just playing things from that service to really make it count I suppose. 

I think one of the downsides to PSNow, is that not everyone has a particularly stable internet connection.Or a particularly fast one either as it happens. So to a lot of people the PS3 games are pretty much off the table, as they require a bit more stability to be able to be streamed easily. Even then there's a bit of a lag issue. I understand it is an issue created by the fairly bizarre Eldritch Magic that is used to run the PS3 and it's games, which is why downloads aren't a thing, but even a small thing like being able to download PS3 games would be an improvement for some people. Especially when you factor in some of the very good PS3 games that are on that service and have yet to actually get the remaster treatment yet.

Fingers crossed then that they do implement that for first party titles. I totally get where you're coming from as I tend to play most games literally years after they come out, even if I've bought them day one.I mean I have Dishonoured 2 still in it shrink wrap, and I'm pretty sure I got that the day it came out. So I get where you're coming from on that one. I'm interested to see how it all pans out either way.

I will look into this game, not sure if I've heard of it before. Maybe it popped up in one of my PLAY mags......

That's a clever way of going about it. Those types of games can get tiresome playing through multiple times when the main story and outcome is pretty much the same.

Shameless self plug and all, but....... haha ?I have actually reviewed it in this thread.... Technically before this thread (then posted it later, as I want all my reviews in one place). Although it's a little light on detail as I wrote that before I was starting to write more in-depth reviews.  I just noticed yo stuck a rep point on that one, so the game might have just fallen out of your head, which is totally understandable.

It was a really fun experience though, so I'd recommend that one, you can usually find it pretty cheap - and it makes very interesting use of the text box feature that we have on PSN when you're sending messages. So to see that implemented into the game, as the way in which you ask the questions to the patients was very cool.

8 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

To be honest it took over a month and a lot of hours were put in each day when and where I could do so. My wife thought at one point I was just glued to it lol 

I am proud definitely, and I truly hope that it will help out a decent amount of people. Certainly the comments I have received on the guide itself have been really fantastic and I;ve been very grateful for them. 

Yeah I tried my best to offer up as many options as possible where I could, as I know that offering up just one when there are so many can be annoying for some.

I think it will help a lot of people! You can definitely see the amount of effort that went into it - or at least anyone that has actually played it will. I'm sure once people have used it themselves they'll definitely see that too. 

That's an underrated addition, the fact you've given people a lot of options. For as much as I love that game, I don't particularly love its trophy list, at all actually. It's got far too much obnoxious (and sort of pointless) grinding involved in it. Like, why did we need to fill in the sphere grid completely with every character. Especially when most peoples end game team are usually just 4 or 5 of the characters, switching out where appropriate. So to give people options even if it's alternative options for getting spheres or items or gil, is one that will really help break up some of the monotony for a lot of people.

Yeah I've just seen that, looking forward to them defo! :)

I won't care how long they are, the more quality content the better I say! lol 

lol I was just trying to be as thorough as possible, and hopefully people will appreciate that. I know they do appreciate that with your indepth reviews.

Thanks man! I'm just making a few final edits to the Detroit: Become Human one, I'll post it later, then get back to where I was with Final Fantasy X's review. They'll be as long as they have to be I guess, so I guess strap in for some long-ish ones on those Final Fantasy ones. I think they already appreciate how thorough you've been from the comments that are already there. Thanks again, I definitely always try and go as in-depth as I can (sometimes even when I don't want to haha ?)

Kudos to @DrunkenEngineer for posting this. Brill news for you man, I know how much you love Monkey Island so hopefully it'll turn out how you want! ?

It is! I'm really hoping it gets a physical edition. It'd be nice as I've only got two physical Monkey Island games. The Third and fourth ones. I know there's a physical edition of the remake of the first one. But it's on Xbox 360 and for a console where I can't open the disc tray anymore (and as every Xbox I've had has busted the same way, I don't want to get another one anytime soon) I'm not bothering with that. Might pick up a physical edition of Tales of Monkey Island though if I ever feel particularly collectory ?

Damn what a nice write-up - glad you didn't cut the David Cage stuff, because it just made up for more good lecture xD 

I will definitely not play this game, or any David Cage for that matter (swear if I play any other QTE adventure game I will lose my mind), but reading about them, that's a different story.

Now...this is an odd review that I am looking forward to :D 

Although the next review you'll see in here will likely be Peaky Blinders: Mastermind I would have thought. Which will probably be my next platinum.

I also can't wait you to tell more about this game (after you've finished it of course). I watched 3 seasons of Peaky Blinders, I thought the first 2 were phenomenal and the 3rd one made me drop the show completely xD but regardless it was a nice watch, as much as it lasted. Game also was discounted several times.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I hope you enjoy your time with RE2: Remake. Then you'd get another one of your favourite franchises pinned down onto another milestone too.  I really ought to play that one, I've wanted to for the longest time but I just haven't. Same with RE3 especially as I never played the original because of being too terrified of Nemesis 1f602.png.

Oh that's a pain about VR, because otherwise it's a hell of a gamble to buy something that might turn your front room/gaming area into a lake of vomit. There's certainly bucket loads of potential for VR to be awesome, so if you do try it, hopefully it'll be something you'll get onboard with. Doc's found a few VR games that you can play without moving too much, so it would seem like there's a few even I could manage to just about enjoy without ruining all of my carpets and furniture. 1f606.png

I played it ages ago and got a lot of trophies from it. Next step which I'm trying to do at the mo is the first of the 2 speedrun trophies, but it's taking longer than I'd like it to sadly. It's a brilliant version of RE2 so yeah definitely would highly recommend it to you! RE3R didn't get the same praise compared to RE2R, but haven't played it either yet so will be looking to get to that sooner rather than later, but very much looking forward to it too!

Yeah sadly it's a gamble in that sense definitely but with VR1, I haven't got the setup and space to be able to implement and use it correctly, so it'd just be a pain in the behind. VR2 sounds more appealing and easier in that sense so I'd love to give that a whirl properly and with VR1 just give it a test run to see how I'd be with a VR headset.

Haha, well there are a fair few games that definitely would interest me so will see how it goes.

You're probably right - I think I was just getting a bit snarky about the subsection of gamers these days that seem to want to live solely in gamings past, instead of embracing all of the awesome new things that are coming our way. I'm a little guilty of that too on occasion, as a lot of us are, I suspect. But I'll always try and strike a healthy balance if I can. I'd be well up for those implementations if they did happen though. If someone offered me the chance to play Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, or Legacy of Kain:Soul Reaver pretty much untouched, but with trophies I'd be there in a heartbeat.

That's a good point about PSNow. Although I think whether you think it's worth the money or not is up to you, whenever I've had it, I've always used it for games I wouldn't really feel happy paying full price for, so if I can knock out a few of those for however much it is a month these days, I usually think it's money well spent, so I guess it all depends on how you view it. I certainly think you can get your moneys worth out of it if you chose to, but then that requires just playing things from that service to really make it count I suppose. 

I think one of the downsides to PSNow, is that not everyone has a particularly stable internet connection.Or a particularly fast one either as it happens. So to a lot of people the PS3 games are pretty much off the table, as they require a bit more stability to be able to be streamed easily. Even then there's a bit of a lag issue. I understand it is an issue created by the fairly bizarre Eldritch Magic that is used to run the PS3 and it's games, which is why downloads aren't a thing, but even a small thing like being able to download PS3 games would be an improvement for some people. Especially when you factor in some of the very good PS3 games that are on that service and have yet to actually get the remaster treatment yet.

Fingers crossed then that they do implement that for first party titles. I totally get where you're coming from as I tend to play most games literally years after they come out, even if I've bought them day one.I mean I have Dishonoured 2 still in it shrink wrap, and I'm pretty sure I got that the day it came out. So I get where you're coming from on that one. I'm interested to see how it all pans out either way.

It's always good to try and strike a healthy balance in life in general but certainly in gaming. Haha, I know you would be! I'd be the same for any of the PS1 Resident Evil's for example. 

Yes absolutely, everyone is different and it is fairly obvious that the value proposition with the service is good and there. However some will get more out of it than others, and it has to work for you personally.

100% agree about the lack of solid and stable internet connection for everyone across the world. True even just here in the UK certainly. It's a shame but it's life with the infrastructure that has to be setup and maintained. I found streaming the PS3 games mostly fine, but certainly for others it would be off the table altogether as you say. It's Sony's fault that they persued the cell technology which took an age for developers to get a handle on correctly and sadly has made backwards compatibility, especially downloads of PS3 games an expensive dream that Sony won't foot the bill for.

Surely you will end up just keeping Dishonoured 2 sealed now? It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't get to play brand new games that they are really looking forward to, until ages after their release lol 

Shameless self plug and all, but....... haha 1f602.pngI have actually reviewed it in this thread.... Technically before this thread (then posted it later, as I want all my reviews in one place). Although it's a little light on detail as I wrote that before I was starting to write more in-depth reviews.  I just noticed yo stuck a rep point on that one, so the game might have just fallen out of your head, which is totally understandable.

It was a really fun experience though, so I'd recommend that one, you can usually find it pretty cheap - and it makes very interesting use of the text box feature that we have on PSN when you're sending messages. So to see that implemented into the game, as the way in which you ask the questions to the patients was very cool.

I've opened a new tab and will read that review tonight! I'm sorry, a lot of things fall out of my mind honestly lol it's a bad trait of mine it seems. Also I like to give you rep because I know your posts are quality even when I haven't read them. Then I'll forget to read them sometimes lol Yeah, that's just me. 

Sounds fun and pretty unique too!

I think it will help a lot of people! You can definitely see the amount of effort that went into it - or at least anyone that has actually played it will. I'm sure once people have used it themselves they'll definitely see that too. 

That's an underrated addition, the fact you've given people a lot of options. For as much as I love that game, I don't particularly love its trophy list, at all actually. It's got far too much obnoxious (and sort of pointless) grinding involved in it. Like, why did we need to fill in the sphere grid completely with every character. Especially when most peoples end game team are usually just 4 or 5 of the characters, switching out where appropriate. So to give people options even if it's alternative options for getting spheres or items or gil, is one that will really help break up some of the monotony for a lot of people.

I certainly hope so, it's the whole point of being a guide writer lol It's what I always strive to achieve with my guides.

Yes as much as I love the game as you know, I agree in regards to the trophy list. It isn't great and it elongates the game, especially having to fill out every party members sphere grid. Hopefully the tips I gave will help a lot and give them options, especially as it is very easy to just fill in the sphere grid in a way that means you can't beat the Dark Aeons etc (unless Yojimbo bails you out of course) and that'll end up adding even more time to the game. Annoying too.

Thanks man! I'm just making a few final edits to the Detroit: Become Human one, I'll post it later, then get back to where I was with Final Fantasy X's review. They'll be as long as they have to be I guess, so I guess strap in for some long-ish ones on those Final Fantasy ones. I think they already appreciate how thorough you've been from the comments that are already there. Thanks again, I definitely always try and go as in-depth as I can (sometimes even when I don't want to haha 1f606.png)

Ironically, I'm looking to play that game sometime soon lol It's been on my PS4 for years since it was given away as a PS Plus freebie. 

Looking forward to those FF reviews! Will definitely read those properly lol

It is! I'm really hoping it gets a physical edition. It'd be nice as I've only got two physical Monkey Island games. The Third and fourth ones. I know there's a physical edition of the remake of the first one. But it's on Xbox 360 and for a console where I can't open the disc tray anymore (and as every Xbox I've had has busted the same way, I don't want to get another one anytime soon) I'm not bothering with that. Might pick up a physical edition of Tales of Monkey Island though if I ever feel particularly collectory 1f602.png

Hopefully (like with TMNT Shredders Revenge coming up and SOR4 before that) Limited Run will sort out a physical release for the collectors out there! Sadly being based in the US, it's expensive delivery but they do quality stuff.

Sounds like eventually, you'll have all the physical versions of all the Monkey Island games. Sounds like a quest all of it's own for you to undertake haha 

EDIT - Just read that Doctor Dekker review properly and yeah it sounds interesting though it certainly sounds odd as well. What's with the toes thing? lol

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #254

Detroit: Become Human (PS4)

Good read! I am always here to read through someone's thoughts on Detroit. I've seen/read a lot of discourse on the game and never before seen anybody mention the number of similarities between Detroit's arcs and that of the show Humans. I've also had a hilarious experience playing one of Cage's games and after watching another type of media think: "oh my god... he ABSOLUTELY watched this show before making his game." I played Heavy Rain in Dec. 2019 and of course, it released in Feb of 2010. For whatever reason, I started watching "The Life of David Gale" starring Kevin Spacey in July 2021, and good lord I will fight anyone who thinks Cage wasn't inspired by that film. It has his bloody name in it!!!

Aside from that, I think you and I are in agreement for a lot of what makes Detroit a fun game to play/talk about it even if the core material itself kinda crumbles once you dig into it. (See: uricksaladbar's critique) Even despite all of the awful stilted sections as Markus (who I thought was by far the worst of the 3 protagonists) and the horrific allegories that are presented to the player with a sledgehammer - when Connor starts bantering with Hank and you get to see the utterly gorgeous graphics the game has to offer, it kinda washes it all away. I love seeing someone's first time experience with the game and I think that's one of the reasons the games still remain relevant even today despite how scrutinized they've been. 

I'm very curious to see how their Star Wars game is gonna turn out though. That seems like a huge departure from their past work and as someone who has never really cared for Stars Wars, I'll likely be right there on Day 1 to watch a Let's Play of it just to see what Quantic did with the IP. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, rjkclarke said:

Wow! You know when I saw this earlier, you were actually the first person I found this out from, which is awesome.  I'd not been anywhere near the internet all day, so I was more than a little surprised when I saw this.

I had to a double-take for a moment, because I thought it was a late April Fools joke, I genuinely had to check the date on when it was posted on Twitter to make sure, but I'm so glad that it isn't.

I can't say that I'm exactly overjoyed that they're deciding to just ignore everything after LeChuck's Revenge, but hey, it's a new Monkey Island, it's a game I think I gave up on ever seeing AND Ron Gilbert is onboard too, so even better! He proved with Thimbleweed Park that he absolutely still has the chops to make a great point-and-click adventure game.

I'm very much looking forward to this! Thanks so much for posting it, that really did brighten my day when I found out about it, I hope you're also pretty pumped for it, especially as LeChuck's Revenge is your favourite (I think I'm remembering right) so hopefully it just improves upon the really weird way that, that game ended.

LeChuck’s Revenge is indeed one of my favorite’s from my childhood.  I revisited it last year on PC about this time to clean up the smattering of achievements I had left.  I’ll definitely be checking out the new one, and probably sticking with PC just because, you know, point & click :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Copanele said:

Damn what a nice write-up - glad you didn't cut the David Cage stuff, because it just made up for more good lecture xD 

I will definitely not play this game, or any David Cage for that matter (swear if I play any other QTE adventure game I will lose my mind), but reading about them, that's a different story.

Now...this is an odd review that I am looking forward to :D 

I also can't wait you to tell more about this game (after you've finished it of course). I watched 3 seasons of Peaky Blinders, I thought the first 2 were phenomenal and the 3rd one made me drop the show completely xD but regardless it was a nice watch, as much as it lasted. Game also was discounted several times.

Thanks man! I appreciate that.... Especially the David Cage thing, because I was really fighting with myself on that one. Poor Smevz was on the receiving end of a few messages late last night of "should I, should I not include this" type of thing haha?.... Ultimately I think I had to include it, it's a big part of my experiences with that game.

I wouldn't rule out ever playing a David Cage game, they're interesting in their own way, the Star Wars one they have coming up might pique your interest, you never know - just don't expect high art levels of nuance and depth from them and you'll be fine. That's never what I expect from them, I just wish they weren't such blatant ripoffs of other things.

I've got you covered on if you want to read about them though ? - as I've done all of the David Cage ones that have trophies - someone probably should put me in an institution just for that alone ?!

The other thing you mentioned though! Yeah, that's an interesting one for sure.

So you aren't the first person to tell me that they checked out of Peaky Blinders around series 3. I can see why as well, I stayed with it - but the show definitely morphs into something completely different from specifically that series onwards.

Out of curiosity what was it that specifically turned you off about Series 3?

I should be able to finish the game today actually - it's actually pretty short, I think.  I played the first four levels a couple of days ago in about two hours and there's only ten levels so I don't think the game is very long.

It's one I'm quite looking forward to writing about - but it's also very odd in that it isn't probably what you'd expect from a Peaky Blinders video game. I think just on tone and feel you might like it. It's actually set right before the first series, and it does a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the early period of the show, but that's all I'll say for now. 

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I played it ages ago and got a lot of trophies from it. Next step which I'm trying to do at the mo is the first of the 2 speedrun trophies, but it's taking longer than I'd like it to sadly. It's a brilliant version of RE2 so yeah definitely would highly recommend it to you! RE3R didn't get the same praise compared to RE2R, but haven't played it either yet so will be looking to get to that sooner rather than later, but very much looking forward to it too!

Yeah sadly it's a gamble in that sense definitely but with VR1, I haven't got the setup and space to be able to implement and use it correctly, so it'd just be a pain in the behind. VR2 sounds more appealing and easier in that sense so I'd love to give that a whirl properly and with VR1 just give it a test run to see how I'd be with a VR headset.

Haha, well there are a fair few games that definitely would interest me so will see how it goes.

Can you apply the usual Resident Evil speedrun logic to that game,which is just run past everything that you can avoid shooting? That's usually the best way to zip through those games pretty quickly, just don't stop moving haha ?. One of these days I'll get RE2: Remake, I keep thinking of picking up the bundle that has RE2 and RE3 together, but I don't think it comes with the DLC for RE2. So that's a bummer. I guess I'll get hem separately.

Sounds as if VR2 is probably the way to go for you by the sounds of it. If it was backwards compatible I'd be tempted to jump on board just to try out that Vader Immortal VR game, but I'd have to turn where I game into one of the kill rooms  from Dexter (floor to ceiling plastic sheeting) beforehand just to make sure I have somewhere I can catch my insides when the VR inevitably makes them fall out ?

It's always good to try and strike a healthy balance in life in general but certainly in gaming. Haha, I know you would be! I'd be the same for any of the PS1 Resident Evil's for example. 

Careful what you wish for dude...... You just said any of the PS1 Resident Evi'ls

So you'd go and grab the platinum for this monstrosity?

RE_Survivor_front.jpg

I mean if the platinum name wasn't "Am I Vincent?" Then no buy from me, but surely even you have your limits on the Resident Evil games you'd want to go for haha?!

100% agree about the lack of solid and stable internet connection for everyone across the world. True even just here in the UK certainly. It's a shame but it's life with the infrastructure that has to be setup and maintained. I found streaming the PS3 games mostly fine, but certainly for others it would be off the table altogether as you say. It's Sony's fault that they persued the cell technology which took an age for developers to get a handle on correctly and sadly has made backwards compatibility, especially downloads of PS3 games an expensive dream that Sony won't foot the bill for.

Surely you will end up just keeping Dishonoured 2 sealed now? It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't get to play brand new games that they are really looking forward to, until ages after their release lol 

When I had a lot of internet problems about three years ago - one of the engineers actually told me that we all could have had fibre optic internet, across the country, years and years ago as standard if the government at the end of the 80's had actually bothered to spend a slight bit of extra money to have the cabling installed. Instead we have what we have, and it's mainly new homes that have true fibre broadband, instead of what they sell as "Fibre Broadband" which we found out wasn't exactly the same thing.

I would imagine anything on the PS3 on PSNOW that required very specific button timing might be a no-no unless you have really tip-top internet, but I always stay away from games like that from PSNOW.

We can dream right, one day we might be able to play PS3 games on a PS6 - that you have to stand on a specific rock and do a specific dance at quarter to three in the morning, for a magic gnome to appear and sell you one.

Nope - the minute I get the 100% nailed down on Dishonoured: Definitive Edition that bad boy is getting ripped open and played - I have put that game off for far longer than I should have. Especially when it's one I'm pretty much guaranteed to love, so that one is not going to stay sealed I'm afraid ? INSTANT DEVALUATION haha!

I've opened a new tab and will read that review tonight! I'm sorry, a lot of things fall out of my mind honestly lol it's a bad trait of mine it seems. Also I like to give you rep because I know your posts are quality even when I haven't read them. Then I'll forget to read them sometimes lol Yeah, that's just me. 

Sounds fun and pretty unique too!

No need to apologise at all. I really do appreciate the support, there's no pressure to read every single thing.  I don't expect anyone to remember every single review that I've written in here and or thing I've written about. Even I forget what I have and haven't done, which is one of the reasons I keep track of everything on the first post, so I know where everything is and what I've actually done haha ?. Otherwise I totally would forget, and combing through nearly 40 pages takes a while, especially as the odd time I have, I've gotten sidetracked reading back certain conversations we've all had in here over the last year with a big fat smile across my face.

Fun and unique are definitely two words I'd use to describe that game.

I certainly hope so, it's the whole point of being a guide writer lol It's what I always strive to achieve with my guides.

Yes as much as I love the game as you know, I agree in regards to the trophy list. It isn't great and it elongates the game, especially having to fill out every party members sphere grid. Hopefully the tips I gave will help a lot and give them options, especially as it is very easy to just fill in the sphere grid in a way that means you can't beat the Dark Aeons etc (unless Yojimbo bails you out of course) and that'll end up adding even more time to the game. Annoying too.

You're doing a pretty great job of that so far.

I did have an idea for a thing I was going to write about great games with terrible trophy lists - and I think Final Fantasy X would definitely make it on that, as would FFIX actually as much as I hate to say it.

That's so true about filling in the sphere grid badly - because most guides don't bother to really tell you that you need to buff up the Luck stat a fair amount - I like that you didn't put in that people should try and max it out, more hit a specific spot and then stop. Because I took my Luck stat pretty high in that game and realistically you don't need to go too high at all, it can help sure, but it's not a necessity.

ronically, I'm looking to play that game sometime soon lol It's been on my PS4 for years since it was given away as a PS Plus freebie. 

Looking forward to those FF reviews! Will definitely read those properly lol

I definitely think Detroit is worth a look - even if you don't end up going for the platinum (it can be quite a fun one though). Might be something you could play alongside your wife. I played it recently with my sister and having someone there alongside to lighten the tone of proceedings definitely might mean you don't get caught up on how silly the story can get in places.

You never know - I might get you going back to Final Fantasy X-2 after reading the review, you and I can write a 100% guide together.... Actually what am I saying that sounds like a nightmare for us both. Still after you've heard the tale of my weird accidental milestone, you might find yourself playing Last Mission, as that game mode as I always say is brilliant.

That's definitely one that as a Final Fantasy fan you don't exactly want as a milestone forever, right haha ?

Hopefully (like with TMNT Shredders Revenge coming up and SOR4 before that) Limited Run will sort out a physical release for the collectors out there! Sadly being based in the US, it's expensive delivery but they do quality stuff.

Sounds like eventually, you'll have all the physical versions of all the Monkey Island games. Sounds like a quest all of it's own for you to undertake haha 

EDIT - Just read that Doctor Dekker review properly and yeah it sounds interesting though it certainly sounds odd as well. What's with the toes thing? lol

I have yet to actually buy anything from Limited Run - but I'm sure one day I'll get the urge to do it - let's face it Monkey Island will probably be one of the things that nudges me in that direction. That'd be nice to have a physical copy of all the Monkey Island games.

Doctor Dekker is definitely all of those things you mentioned - but I think it's totally worth playing - and the most it will take you is 8 hours, so that's good at least. The toes thing, your guess is as good as mine - I'd probably assume the director had a bit of a foot fetish. I'm not going to kink shame them though, it's just a bit odd the way you've got actual staff members and patients in the game wiggling their toes at you every now and then.

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Good read! I am always here to read through someone's thoughts on Detroit. I've seen/read a lot of discourse on the game and never before seen anybody mention the number of similarities between Detroit's arcs and that of the show Humans. I've also had a hilarious experience playing one of Cage's games and after watching another type of media think: "oh my god... he ABSOLUTELY watched this show before making his game." I played Heavy Rain in Dec. 2019 and of course, it released in Feb of 2010. For whatever reason, I started watching "The Life of David Gale" starring Kevin Spacey in July 2021, and good lord I will fight anyone who thinks Cage wasn't inspired by that film. It has his bloody name in it!!!

Cheers I appreciate that!

I don't know how well Humans did outside of the UK - I'm sure I remember reading that it was a co-production with AMC so it must have at least aired outside of the UK I would have thought. Hilarious is right though it's one of those things where you just sit there and think IT'S SO OBVIOUS WHERE YOU GOT THIS FROM!

I don't know - perhaps I just have a really low opinion of David Cage (actually that's not even a perhaps) - but I just think the way he never acknowledges the things that have clearly inspired him just rubs me up the wrong way a little. Like he thinks he's above being inspired by other things, so he just desperately hopes people won't notice the similarities.

I've not seen The Life of David Gale, but I just read that films plot synopsis in that handy link you provided - and yep, I can totally see the similarities with Heavy Rain from just a cursory glance at it. David Cage really has no shame does he haha.

Aside from that, I think you and I are in agreement for a lot of what makes Detroit a fun game to play/talk about it even if the core material itself kinda crumbles once you dig into it. (See: uricksaladbar's critique) Even despite all of the awful stilted sections as Markus (who I thought was by far the worst of the 3 protagonists) and the horrific allegories that are presented to the player with a sledgehammer - when Connor starts bantering with Hank and you get to see the utterly gorgeous graphics the game has to offer, it kinda washes it all away. I love seeing someone's first time experience with the game and I think that's one of the reasons the games still remain relevant even today despite how scrutinized they've been. 

That's good to read - glad I'm not alone there then. I've opened that uricksaladbar video on another tab - so I'll have to give that a watch later on, looks interesting.... I got up to the bit where he mentioned Beyond Two Souls. Then I remembered I have to review that in future - and both an evil smile and a feeling of dread entered my body all at the same time haha! ?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found Markus as boring as sin too. I just couldn't get over how flat some of his delivery of dialogue was in certain sections that really should have meant something, but ultimately I ended up either rolling my eyes or going " OH GOD WHAT WAS THAT! THAT WAS THE TAKE YOU WENT WITH? REALLY," You're not kidding about those allegories being incredibly on the nose, and really really unsubtle. I'm not saying it had to be hidden in subtext at all. Unsubtle things can be just as valid for an audience  - but as David Cage is always pushing for maturity and EMOOOOOOSHUNS when it comes to his games, he really should put a tiny bit more thought into exactly what it is he's trying to say. He can't have it both ways.

I'm very curious to see how their Star Wars game is gonna turn out though. That seems like a huge departure from their past work and as someone who has never really cared for Stars Wars, I'll likely be right there on Day 1 to watch a Let's Play of it just to see what Quantic did with the IP. 

I am also morbidly curious to see what Quantic Dream do with Star Wars.... I don't feel like it can be much worse than anything J.J Abrams did with it in Rise of Skywalker, so at the very least I hope it'll be interesting.

It could potentially work really well -some of what made the original Star Wars films so accessible and enjoyable for folks is their simplicity - the thing is, I haven't heard that David Cage is actually involved as of yet, but as David Cage seems to have a particular penchant for taking ideas from other things - is he just going to rehash a Star Wars thing that's already been done before? I hope not, because Star Wars fans can be fiercely critical to an almost psychotic level, so he's got a lot on his hands with that one. Especially with the backlash Quantic Dream have already faced with that game.

It'll certainly be interesting that's for sure - maybe you've got the right idea and a Day 1 let's play is the way to go with this one. I guess we'll find out in 2027 when the game is predicted to come out haha ?

2 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

LeChuck’s Revenge is indeed one of my favorite’s from my childhood.  I revisited it last year on PC about this time to clean up the smattering of achievements I had left.  I’ll definitely be checking out the new one, and probably sticking with PC just because, you know, point & click :)

I thought I'd remembered right.

I haven't played LeChuck's Revenge in a while - I might have done last year around the time I wrote the review of The Secret of Monkey Island. I ought to give it another playthrough soon because I really like LeChuck's Revenge, especially how batshit crazy it goes right near the end.

PC is definitely the way to go with point-and-clickers I think. So I really hope you and I both end up really liking the new one.  I must say, I like being able to get the trophies in them too much though, to not dabble with them on consoles. But you do lose out on a lot of sensitivity with some of the games with a controller instead of a mouse, so there's definitely a bit of an issue with that.

If the new Monkey Island releases on console - then there's no way I'll be able to turn down having a Monkey Island platinum - that is going in the Trophy Cabinet straight away ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

So you aren't the first person to tell me that they checked out of Peaky Blinders around series 3. I can see why as well, I stayed with it - but the show definitely morphs into something completely different from specifically that series onwards.

Out of curiosity what was it that specifically turned you off about Series 3?

Honestly the first 2 seasons were awesome - I couldn't wait to see what happens next, what kind of crazy plan will Tommy cook up etc.

But in season 3....Tommy is a complete moron, the Russians feel just ...extra and are mostly annoying, Polly does an 180 in terms of character and my GOD I hate Michael. I simply can't stand him.

The only character that is compelling to me was John Shelby and Alfie Solomons. Never expected Tom Hardy to be so versatile in acting xD 

But yeah, at some point I was just browsing my phone without watching the show. That's when I decided I won't follow with a Season 4 watch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Honestly the first 2 seasons were awesome - I couldn't wait to see what happens next, what kind of crazy plan will Tommy cook up etc.

But in season 3....Tommy is a complete moron, the Russians feel just ...extra and are mostly annoying, Polly does an 180 in terms of character and my GOD I hate Michael. I simply can't stand him.

The only character that is compelling to me was John Shelby and Alfie Solomons. Never expected Tom Hardy to be so versatile in acting xD 

But yeah, at some point I was just browsing my phone without watching the show. That's when I decided I won't follow with a Season 4 watch.

Spooky - you replied to this just as I'd fired the Peaky Blinders game up to get finishing it off.

Those are pretty valid criticisms of  series 3 that's for sure. I'll say this much though. Series 4 does sort of bring it back around to the whole "How are the Shelby's going to get out of this one" type of situation. In that Tommy actually has to return to being not a dumbarse - and using his brain. As he's being hounded by American Gangsters - yes even complete with Tommy Guns and Striped suits.

You're not alone in despising Michael - I can't stand him either, and I never have particularly liked him - in the non video game world I'm very much a pacifist but he does have quite the punchable face ?.

Interesting that you found John really compelling, as I don't hear people talk about him too often amongst those I've spoken to about the show - he's got a quiet sort of enigmatic intensity about him hasn't he.

Alfie Solomons is probably my favourite character that isn't a Shelby in that series - Tom Hardy ca be real versatile, and really strong acting wise actually when he wants to be, and he's clearly interested in what he's doing.

If you ever get the chance, and you haven't seen it before, I recommend checking out the series Taboo. It's only eight episodes long, Tom Hardy wrote it alongside his Dad and Steven Knight (the Peaky Blinders writer) and his character in that very much has that same crazy genius plan thing going for him that you liked about early Tommy Shelby.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Can you apply the usual Resident Evil speedrun logic to that game,which is just run past everything that you can avoid shooting? That's usually the best way to zip through those games pretty quickly, just don't stop moving haha 1f602.png. One of these days I'll get RE2: Remake, I keep thinking of picking up the bundle that has RE2 and RE3 together, but I don't think it comes with the DLC for RE2. So that's a bummer. I guess I'll get hem separately.

Sounds as if VR2 is probably the way to go for you by the sounds of it. If it was backwards compatible I'd be tempted to jump on board just to try out that Vader Immortal VR game, but I'd have to turn where I game into one of the kill rooms  from Dexter (floor to ceiling plastic sheeting) beforehand just to make sure I have somewhere I can catch my insides when the VR inevitably makes them fall out 1f605.png

I am trying my best with that, but bloody Mr. X is a bloody big nuisance to say the least lol so that gameplan isn't as easy to implement as I would like. Various amounts of frustration has happened at various points so far and it's only the Leon speedrun haha. At least for the Claire speedrun, I should have an infinite ammo weapon which will help!

The only significant story content DLC for RE2R was The Ghost Survivors, and that was a 'What if?' type thing and it was free too. The rest of the DLC that I know of was just alternative costumes and the like. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Yeah it is a real pity that most likely (unless Sony confirmed it and I missed it?) VR2 won't be backwards compatible as there are loads of VR1 titles I'd like to play - Vader Immortal, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Everybody's Golf VR, Blood and Truth, Moss etc etc. 

Haha that is a funny image! Make it so!

I mean if the platinum name wasn't "Am I Vincent?" Then no buy from me, but surely even you have your limits on the Resident Evil games you'd want to go for haha?!

To be fair to my comment, I've never been able to play Resident Evil: Survivor so I'd at least give it a try lol 

When I had a lot of internet problems about three years ago - one of the engineers actually told me that we all could have had fibre optic internet, across the country, years and years ago as standard if the government at the end of the 80's had actually bothered to spend a slight bit of extra money to have the cabling installed. Instead we have what we have, and it's mainly new homes that have true fibre broadband, instead of what they sell as "Fibre Broadband" which we found out wasn't exactly the same thing.

I would imagine anything on the PS3 on PSNOW that required very specific button timing might be a no-no unless you have really tip-top internet, but I always stay away from games like that from PSNOW.

We can dream right, one day we might be able to play PS3 games on a PS6 - that you have to stand on a specific rock and do a specific dance at quarter to three in the morning, for a magic gnome to appear and sell you one.

Nope - the minute I get the 100% nailed down on Dishonoured: Definitive Edition that bad boy is getting ripped open and played - I have put that game off for far longer than I should have. Especially when it's one I'm pretty much guaranteed to love, so that one is not going to stay sealed I'm afraid 1f602.png INSTANT DEVALUATION haha!

O yeah of course. That's why Internet Providers always use their 'Up to' terminology before the speed amount, in order to entice you to get that super fast broadband and you end up getting 10% of that potential amount due to the naff cabling sadly. Governments in general will never use the money they have correctly. Just look at that Big Ben project.

Yeah indeed, there is certainly those occasions where you wouldn't want to require relying on streaming the PS3 game via PS Now. The magic gnome scenario sounds about as likely as being able to play PS3 games (properly/officially) on anything other than a PS3 without requiring streaming lol

Wow, well each to their own lol was one of those given away as a free PS Plus game though?

No need to apologise at all. I really do appreciate the support, there's no pressure to read every single thing.  I don't expect anyone to remember every single review that I've written in here and or thing I've written about. Even I forget what I have and haven't done, which is one of the reasons I keep track of everything on the first post, so I know where everything is and what I've actually done haha 1f602.png. Otherwise I totally would forget, and combing through nearly 40 pages takes a while, especially as the odd time I have, I've gotten sidetracked reading back certain conversations we've all had in here over the last year with a big fat smile across my face.

Fun and unique are definitely two words I'd use to describe that game.

Any plans to do a contents type page on the start of this thread? Would be a big undertaking, but would be cool for new people starting out here if there was a specific game that they wanted to properly read your opinion on.

It's a great thread with great content and great conversations too!

You're doing a pretty great job of that so far.

I did have an idea for a thing I was going to write about great games with terrible trophy lists - and I think Final Fantasy X would definitely make it on that, as would FFIX actually as much as I hate to say it.

That's so true about filling in the sphere grid badly - because most guides don't bother to really tell you that you need to buff up the Luck stat a fair amount - I like that you didn't put in that people should try and max it out, more hit a specific spot and then stop. Because I took my Luck stat pretty high in that game and realistically you don't need to go too high at all, it can help sure, but it's not a necessity.

Well honestly thank you, I really appreciate it. ?

OMG, have I suddenly inspired a new feature for this thread? That is an interesting topic of discussion in general I think, as obviously we have discussed the importance of trophies in general in PS gaming now and how lots of people enjoy them. How much impact can a terrible trophy list have on a great game? Can it actually negatively impact a person's experience with the game? Can they separate the two? Would be an intriguing feature. 

Yes you are absolutely right, certainly I've read through forums and seen lots of people who has filled in the Sphere Grid wrong in order to deal with the biggest boss challenges in the game, and part of that I think with the HD Remaster version is that trophy and sadly people will just want to do it as efficiently as possible for that trophy. It is a massive grind, and more so if you try to go for 255 Luck stat. I certainly never tried to bother and you don't need to. Could have spent another god knows how many hours doing that on top, and my platinum time was more than long enough as it was.

I definitely think Detroit is worth a look - even if you don't end up going for the platinum (it can be quite a fun one though). Might be something you could play alongside your wife. I played it recently with my sister and having someone there alongside to lighten the tone of proceedings definitely might mean you don't get caught up on how silly the story can get in places.

You never know - I might get you going back to Final Fantasy X-2 after reading the review, you and I can write a 100% guide together.... Actually what am I saying that sounds like a nightmare for us both. Still after you've heard the tale of my weird accidental milestone, you might find yourself playing Last Mission, as that game mode as I always say is brilliant.

That's definitely one that as a Final Fantasy fan you don't exactly want as a milestone forever, right haha 1f602.png

I'm a bit odd with those types of games and going for platinums. Played lots like Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Until Dawn etc and haven't bothered going for plats but for some reason I might with Detroit. I think any Quantic Dream game can have a bit of silliness in them sadly. Not even intentional either. The whole Jason thing in Heavy Rain was prime meme material right there. Noticed you were talking to someone else about the Star Wars one they are doing. Think it was @realm722. I've got about a quarter of an eye on that, not even half an eye simply because it's rumoured to be in trouble already and not scheduled to release until 2027!

Yes I've definitely got the urge to give Last Mission a proper go at least. Just need to knock off RE2R first for 250, and then try to balance all the games I've got and want to play lol doesn't help that Everybody's Golf PS4 online is shutting down in 6 months. Got to see if I can try get that platinum now or if it isn't feasible. 

No haha certain FF's, RE's and Sonics don't come into consideration in terms of making them milestones. Type-0 HD wasn't, RE7 wasn't and FFX-2 is I ever got that plat, wouldn't be either. Not to say I don't like parts of any of them of course lol Just got to prioritise with every milestone now being a gap of 50!

I have yet to actually buy anything from Limited Run - but I'm sure one day I'll get the urge to do it - let's face it Monkey Island will probably be one of the things that nudges me in that direction. That'd be nice to have a physical copy of all the Monkey Island games.

Doctor Dekker is definitely all of those things you mentioned - but I think it's totally worth playing - and the most it will take you is 8 hours, so that's good at least. The toes thing, your guess is as good as mine - I'd probably assume the director had a bit of a foot fetish. I'm not going to kink shame them though, it's just a bit odd the way you've got actual staff members and patients in the game wiggling their toes at you every now and then.

Yes certainly. If you do decide to buy from Limited Run Games, just be prepared for a looooooooong wait lol 

It certainly sounds like quite the experience, and is one I'll have to think about playing lol

• Like 1