rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

On 2/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, rjkclarke said:

Wouldn't surprise me if you had, it's one of those games you see for free and think "I'll try that" then you have to dig yourself out of the rabbit hole the game has sent you down 1f602.png

It was very good for quite a long period of time - and then even its most loyal fanbase started to turn on it a little bit - because the developers were constantly promising content that just never quite materialised. I'm pretty sure one of the story updates that dropped last year The New War was actually announced somewhere back in 2016 or 2017 maybe, back when I was still a pretty active player.

I reckon it's got at least 15 DLC packs, probably more to be honest. I think I could get my 100% back on it fairly quickly, but once I do, I think I might officially retire from the game, but who knows. 1f644.png

I'll have to look at my trophy list lol the further back you go in time, the more you see 1%, 2% trophy lists sadly lol hence my completion ratio not being the best.

Wow, well it's not a surprise that people would turn on it if they had to wait 5 years for a piece of story content!

You know, I had around 15 in my head for those DLC packs lol you'd think they would have done a Warframe 2 by now!

Like Pizza - even bad KOTOR is good KOTOR..... Hell, look at KOTOR 2, I could defend that game for ages, despite it not being as good.

Nah I get that struggle with Fallout 3, it does have pretty arse combat, it's one of those games that I find pretty interminable combat-wise unless I play Melee only, or I use VATS a lot.... For all that I'm not the biggest fan of Fallout 4 - I really do appreciate how much they improved the combat, so, if and I guess it's a big if, you wanted to give Fallout another crack, then Fallout 4 might be the way to go.

It's a better username than mine is, to be fair!  That's basically just my name 1f602.png

Haha yes that's a good comparison. Let's just hope it's closer to KOTOR than KOTOR 2. I'd take it being as good in quality as Jade Empire. Don't hear a lot of people talking about that one.

Was that free on PS Plus at one point? If so, maybe I'd give it a go but I dunno.

Well yes I kinda guessed that was just your name, but you don't give it all away. RJK could be like MJF or CM Punk, what could it mean? Maybe part of it was a stage/made up name, maybe the letters reference something else? AFAIK well IDK BTW haha

Could be Royal Joker King, could be Really JK (Jamiroquai), could be Red Jelly Kick. The possibilities are endless!

I think if you liked Destruction Derby back in the day then you're almost guaranteed to like Wreckfest, it definitely feels like a modern take on Demolition Derby, so you ought to have fun with that, when you can get it nice and fired up on a PS5.

That's what I've heard and that's what I'm hoping. There's lots I'm looking forward to on PS5 like RE: Village, FFVII Remake Integrade DLC, Horizon Forbidden West etc. but a free ps plus game in Wreckfest is pretty high up there. Destruction Derby just clicked back in the day, lots of fun!

Still the search for a PS5 continues lol 

As does writing this first gameplay guide of mine lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I'll have to look at my trophy list lol the further back you go in time, the more you see 1%, 2% trophy lists sadly lol hence my completion ratio not being the best.

Wow, well it's not a surprise that people would turn on it if they had to wait 5 years for a piece of story content!

You know, I had around 15 in my head for those DLC packs lol you'd think they would have done a Warframe 2 by now!

You could always go hard at your completion rate if you ever felt the need to. I wouldn't mind getting mine up to 98% this year if I can manage that.

I think the lowest on mine is 6% and that was from Hustle Kings..... Surprisingly that was about the only pool game I've never quite been able to get along with. I guess that'll happen when you make a pool game where it feels like smashing spherical concrete together. Sad times.

5 years is far too long to wait for just one piece of story content - especially when they were considering hot fixes and weapon buffs and nerfs as "new content" they are apparently a little better now for releasing content, but as I've not played the game since 2019 I wouldn't know.

I checked just out of curiosity after you said that, and I was way off on the amount of DLC. It has 31 DLC packs. It has even more on the PS5 version So erm yeah, that's quite a lot. I should just power through it though, I put it down to be done for the ultra rare cleanup event. One of the trophies is for driving I think 1 million miles on this little skateboard thing called a K-Drive and that is really putting me off.

I don't have a clue if they'll ever get to a Warframe 2. I don't know if you ever played it, but Warframe is actually like the, sort of sequel to Dark Sector,which was a pretty good PS3/360 game back in the day.

Haha yes that's a good comparison. Let's just hope it's closer to KOTOR than KOTOR 2. I'd take it being as good in quality as Jade Empire. Don't hear a lot of people talking about that one.

I can't remember if I've ever asked you this, but did you ever play Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy back in the day? If not I reckon you might have a good time with the PS4 versions of those. I'm trying to get those both reviewed in here this week. Jedi Outcast is at the top of this page if you haven't read it. Those games might be up your alley if you fancy a bit of old school Star Wars goodness.

Was that free on PS Plus at one point? If so, maybe I'd give it a go but I dunno.

I don't think so - but the Game of the year edition goes on sale pretty often for about £9 sometimes which is a pretty good deal for the amount of content you get with it. I still need to go back and finish off all that DLC in it myself.

Well yes I kinda guessed that was just your name, but you don't give it all away. RJK could be like MJF or CM Punk, what could it mean? Maybe part of it was a stage/made up name, maybe the letters reference something else? AFAIK well IDK BTW haha

Could be Royal Joker King, could be Really JK (Jamiroquai), could be Red Jelly Kick. The possibilities are endless!

No, gotta leave some of it a mystery haha :lol:

I've posted my first name in here plenty, but I'll leave the others a mediocre mystery haha!

I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere, where CM Punk said that the CM part of his name came from when he was in a tag team way, way back at the start of his career where they were called The Chick Magnets. Then he just kind of kept the CM part at the start of his name for the rest of his career. Hey, I mean it worked for him though.

Haha! Royal Joker King is really good actually, I rather like that one. I can't really be JK though ?... I was at a Jamiroquai gig a couple of years ago, and I wasn't on the stage..... You ever noticed how much he looks like Danny Dyer these days. Come to think of it, I've never seen the two of them in the same place either!

That's what I've heard and that's what I'm hoping. There's lots I'm looking forward to on PS5 like RE: Village, FFVII Remake Integrade DLC, Horizon Forbidden West etc. but a free ps plus game in Wreckfest is pretty high up there. Destruction Derby just clicked back in the day, lots of fun!

Still the search for a PS5 continues lol 

As does writing this first gameplay guide of mine lol

Yeah I'm looking forward to a lot of PS5 titles myself - I'm just having to be an adult about not actively seeking one out. I'm learning to drive at the moment (I know I started very late) and I think I'm going to need a lot of lessons, and they unfortunately aren't cheap.

I'll definitely need a few, especially considering the fact I've made the car bounce around like a Kangaroo a few times whilst trying to get the hang of smoothly changing gears.

I feel pretty confident you'll have a great time with Wreckfest based on what you've said.

Are you willing to share with us what the gameplay guide is on? Or are you keeping that under your hat?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:40 PM, rjkclarke said:

Thanks for requesting this one @Copanele !! Even if I did take a bit of a while to actually get to it (sorry about that, I'll start to motor through these requests a little quicker now that I'm not specifically covering sequential games in a series right now). So I expect I'll get to Jedi Academy this week too. I had a blast writing this, it was nice to have that bit of reminiscence and remember exactly why so many people love this game. It comes to something when one of the things I like least about the game is the lazy ass sin trophy icons!

Many thanks for the awesome review :D glad you also enjoyed this game because my god I absolutely LOVED it on PC. To this day, this game has the best lightsaber combat, bar none. I doubt any other Star Wars game comes even close to the sick ass wall flips into flurries, stance switching, zapping a storm trooper from across the room while choking the other.

And Kyle Katarn himself is an amazing character. Always seen him as a Han Solo/Luke Skywalker hybrid, absolutely loved him. I guess he was written so well that Disney had the urge to absolutely annihilate this more interesting universe and give us REY.

Honestly, the PS4 port does turn me off with all the save system shenanigans, but at some point I will replay this and Jedi Academy. I will be honest, Jedi Outcast had the better story, but Academy had the better combat.

And Jedi Academy DOES still have an online community. I even remember the rules, thou shalt not use the butterfly attack in honorable duels(forward+attack with the dual lightsaber, where you do a butterfly move which is so busted everyone in your front dies instantly xD )

Good times ?

• Like 1

Oh man, a review of Jedi Outcast.  Is that the game with the standalone DLC Mysteries of the Sith or some such?

I played all the Dark Forces games mightily on the PC in my youth.  2002 was when I went to college/university (different meanings for you Europeans, went to the latter), and I started moving in to playing World of Warcraft, but there was an overlap where Half-Life, Unreal, and Jedi Outcast dominated my PC hard drives.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, rjkclarke said:

I actually did a little digging the other night - because my favourite type of procrastination is actually just reading about film.... From what I've read, and this may or may not be true he started out as a white character, Fisher Stevens got fired, then the other guy left, they re-hired Fisher Stevens again and just neglected to make the character white again. But the other guy wasn't of Indian descent either, so...... :dunno:

"Hey Fisher, welcome back. So we decided to go in a more diverse direction and make your character Indian. Great, huh?"

"Oh, um... sure, but wouldn't an Indian actor be more appropriate? I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this..."

"Here's your check!"

"....where's that face paint at? Let's DO this thing!"

I'd never thought about how much Snake/Raiden picking them up by their legs looked like him putting them in the Walls, but it totally does now that you've said it.... That is another little mind = blown moment haha

That also reminds me of making Raiden do his little flip after he was captured and running around the base nude?

I went from KYR to SYM, so that felt like a huge leap from what had come before, totallyafree that the graphical leap seemed fairly astronomical even in JBI. I also struggled with the fact it came out in that weird transitional period where there was loads of WCW and ECW wrestlers in the company,but barely any of them were in the game, so it kind of felt immediately obsolete.

Yeah, I think JBI had Raven and that was about it. I can only imagine how going straight to SYM must have felt, though as mind-blowing as that transition surely was, it pretty much renders JBI obsolete!

My only real criticism for KYR's season mode was not being able to skip that little back and forth battle of the health bars thing, when you were skipping matches. I remember thinking it was really cool when I first got the game, then the more I played it, the more it became a nuisance.

I actually liked that! My friends and I would place bets on who would win and it was kind of fun. Then again we usually also had a fair amount of alcohol in our systems when we'd play KYR, so that probably had a hand in it!

On 2/20/2022 at 11:10 AM, rjkclarke said:

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders (PS4)

L1752af.png

I know point and clickers are your jam, so it saddens me that this one had so much squandered potential. I remember you mentioning having to do an extra playthrough of this game and you did not seem pleased about it???

That's pretty unfortunate about the voice acting, too. I wonder if the actress was burned out from having to read for so many different roles and was just like fuck it.

It does look cool visually though, I do have to give it that.

Excellent stuff as always, my dude?

• Like 1

On 22/02/2022 at 8:16 PM, Copanele said:

Many thanks for the awesome review :D glad you also enjoyed this game because my god I absolutely LOVED it on PC. To this day, this game has the best lightsaber combat, bar none. I doubt any other Star Wars game comes even close to the sick ass wall flips into flurries, stance switching, zapping a storm trooper from across the room while choking the othe

Cheers dude! No, thank you.... for being the one to get me to write about it quicker. ?

You'll get no arguments from me on that one, there is something really timeless about how satisfying this games combat is. It's just so damn good. I love the way that further into the game you can feel like a complete badass walking into an entire room full of Stormtroopers and just lighting them up with Force lightning.

And Kyle Katarn himself is an amazing character. Always seen him as a Han Solo/Luke Skywalker hybrid, absolutely loved him. I guess he was written so well that Disney had the urge to absolutely annihilate this more interesting universe and give us REY.

That's really interesting - I'd never thought of Kyle like that, but you know what, I see what you mean. Especially the fact that he has a real edge to him that Luke just doesn't quite have. I don't just mean the fact Han and Kyle are smugglers either haha. The fact that he kind of skates that line between not being good or bad, just doing what he thinks is right.

But Rey can lift rocks, and erm....... find things in the sand....... and.......

Spoiler

KISS PEOPLE BACK TO LIFE.

.....Can Kyle do that? Actually I'll shut up, because Kyle probably would find a way to do that :lol:

Honestly, the PS4 port does turn me off with all the save system shenanigans, but at some point I will replay this and Jedi Academy. I will be honest, Jedi Outcast had the better story, but Academy had the better combat.

And Jedi Academy DOES still have an online community. I even remember the rules, thou shalt not use the butterfly attack in honorable duels(forward+attack with the dual lightsaber, where you do a butterfly move which is so busted everyone in your front dies instantly xD )

Good times 1f60c.png

I can safely say that the save thing is pretty much the worst thing about the game, and only really the only negative, aside from the whole twenty year old jank thing. It's more of a problem in Jedi Academy I'd say, as that game has a few tricky platforming sections, and that game gets mega hectic later on, when you're playing on the hardest difficulty so you end up saving a lot.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You aren't supposed to mention that Outcast had a better story, but Academy had better gameplay, that's what a big part of the Jedi Academy  review is going to be about....... SPOILERS ??? haha

I only ever really played Jedi Academy in local multiplayer when I was younger, but I used to have a hell of a lot of fun with that one. I used to like playing as that fat Rodian Reelo from Outcast with a double-bladed lightsaber, just because I thought it looked funny! I did enjoy playing it when I was going for the trophies though. That part of it is still pretty good.

21 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Oh man, a review of Jedi Outcast.  Is that the game with the standalone DLC Mysteries of the Sith or some such?

I played all the Dark Forces games mightily on the PC in my youth.  2002 was when I went to college/university (different meanings for you Europeans, went to the latter), and I started moving in to playing World of Warcraft, but there was an overlap where Half-Life, Unreal, and Jedi Outcast dominated my PC hard drives.

It's the sequel to the game that had the Mysteries of the Sith expansion. They all have really convoluted names ?

Dark Forces was real good for a Doom clone wasn't it? I remember when I originally played it back on the PS1, because when I was younger I could probably grow vegetables in the garden that could run a game quicker than my early PC could have done :lol:.... But I digress, what's new right? I was never bothered about how similar to Doom it was, to me I was just happy I could play something like Doom, that had a Star Wars skin on it. 

When I did get to play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, the one that has the Mysteries of the Sith add on - I remember being really excited about the fact you could wield a lightsaber in first person mode, that seemed so cool and new to me at the time. 

Dude those are some fine games to have taking up room on your hard drives.... I played the hell out of Half-Life once I did have a decent PC. I played pretty much any of the expansions I could find for it too, even that weird Blue Shift one. 

I only ever played the console version of Unreal, the one that was called Unreal Championship, but I used to really enjoy that too in local multiplayer! Awesome times! Although I could imagine it was probably better on the PC?

19 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

"Hey Fisher, welcome back. So we decided to go in a more diverse direction and make your character Indian. Great, huh?"

"Oh, um... sure, but wouldn't an Indian actor be more appropriate? I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this..."

"Here's your check!"

"....where's that face paint at? Let's DO this thing!"

Haha! Yes, that's how I, imagine it went down.

Here he is walking away from that meeting.....

tumblr_m8385xXEiT1r270ozo1_250.gif

Then again, when he heard Short Circuit 2 was going to have him be the lead actor!

z9T3Hg.gif

That also reminds me of making Raiden do his little flip after he was captured and running around the base nude1f602.png

As weird as it is, I always liked the fact that he had an oddly specific animation to that cartwheel flip exclusive to when he was naked. Where he would hold his dangle parts when he did it, and do like an armless cartwheel to stop things flying around. Kojima is a weird fella. :facepalm:

Yeah, I think JBI had Raven and that was about it. I can only imagine how going straight to SYM must have felt, though as mind-blowing as that transition surely was, it pretty much renders JBI obsolete!

I actually liked that! My friends and I would place bets on who would win and it was kind of fun. Then again we usually also had a fair amount of alcohol in our systems when we'd play KYR, so that probably had a hand in it!

Eurgh yeah Raven......in the WWF, the least said about that the better. As a big ECW fan, seeing someone who had a tremendous ability to capture attention with just his words alone, they sure did waste him.

Even if seeing him, Kane and Big Show driving around in a Golf Cart at Wrestlemania 17 is still one of the funniest and surrealist things I've seen in wrestling. Or just the bit when Kane drives along by himself with the ref in the back like it's all fine and normal. Then, splat!

s92JhY.gif

I think Big Show just stumbling around like a confused Bear that's just had a log fall on it, makes it pretty funny too. There's a funnier bit earlier in the match, but I couldn't find a gif of that bit.

I can see how placing bets on the battling health bars would be good after a few drinks..... Unfortunately when KYR came out I had just turned 10 only a month previously, so that wasn't really an option for me :lol:...... Sorry if that suddenly makes you feel old, in reality, you're not that much older than me at all though.

I know point and clickers are your jam, so it saddens me that this one had so much squandered potential. I remember you mentioning having to do an extra playthrough of this game and you did not seem pleased about it1f604.png1f610.png1f614.png

That's pretty unfortunate about the voice acting, too. I wonder if the actress was burned out from having to read for so many different roles and was just like fuck it.

It does look cool visually though, I do have to give it that.

Excellent stuff as always, my dude1f44a.png

Thanks man!

Yeah..... It's sad when something from one of your favourite genre's turns out to be a bit of a naff one. I don't think it'll make any worst of the year lists at the 2022 end of year awards, or any of the positive ones either, it's just one of those kind of games, middle of the road, nothing stands out kind of thing.

Well, yeah I guess apart from the visuals. It does have those I guess!  

I really couldn't say about the voice acting - it could be that she got burned out I suppose. But you'd think she would have done at least one of them well, and then got burnt out, but some of them, I think I could have just pointed a Microphone at my sister, told her to read the lines and she might have done a better job! Which I feel harsh saying, but I know someone else would say it much harsher I suppose. :facepalm:

The upside is, I've just a played a pretty damn good point-and-clicker, balance is returned, so it's restored my faith in the genre (not that ABC Murders could make me lose it).... Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to review it right now, so it's still fresh. I'll probably hold off till tomorrow now, as it's pretty late.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

Nice work on Jedi Outcast! I know you've played lots of Lego games too, so you may be interested in the new Lego Star Wars game coming out. I believe it spans across the entire cinematic story line, so I expect it to be chock-full of content! ?

On 22/02/2022 at 6:10 AM, rjkclarke said:

For those who might not be aware, there is no way to overwrite your game saves in this game.

Each new save creates a new save file, and as this is an older title with a sizeable amount of jank involved, it’s easier to play it cautiously and save before platforming sections. So with that in mind – as you can imagine, save files build up pretty quickly and eventually you hit a hard limit.

Funnily enough this reminds me of the dreaded saving in the PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas. I'm not sure exactly how it works since I've steered the heck away from that port from the nightmares I hear, but something with the saves makes the game so bloated with data that it brings the frame rate to an absolute stand still after an hour or so of playing, practically forcing you to make a new save file for when you tackle the DLC. In that regard, I find it quite similar to the woes of Jedi Outcast's saving!

On 22/02/2022 at 6:10 AM, rjkclarke said:

For a twenty year old game, I also think some of the character models look quite good – I’ve played more recent games based on licensed properties where the characters don’t look anything like they should.

Considering the game came out in 2002, Luke's model looks pretty damn good for the standards back then. Hell, I'd say the look of that screenshot you put is on par with a model from 2004's Half-Life 2... I always find ways to bring up this game. ?

Also, good work with the ABC Murders. Point-and-click is a nostalgic genre for me, especially some of the missions in Disney's Club Penguin of all things. It's a shame the puzzles aren't up to par. I haven't dabbled in the genre for a long, long time but I know for a fact that interaction is the most essential aspect of it's gameplay, so seeing the puzzles not being that great conflicts a lot with the type of game it sets out to be. Point-and-click has the absolute advantage of letting you sit an admire each background and setting, so seeing as the gameplay isn't too compelling can be an unfortunate juxtaposition to this.
It is valiant that they'd take a cel-shaded direction though. Games like Borderlands (and I think Okami too) pulls it off quite well and can add a lot of artistic charm... But when push comes to shove, I suppose the most important thing is the gameplay itself, which is a shame for the case of this one.

An important point you said at the end was that it was neither good or bad, and for me this is the worst thing a piece of art can do. Art in it's very nature insists on evoking an emotion, and for something to be simply mediocre is the worst. I've mediocre games like Sonic Forces, and in all honesty I have a stronger impression of the infamous Sonic 06; simply because it's known as a bad game. At least in the case of 06 I feel something out of it, but with Forces -- a game that's mediocre -- it's the worst feeling. Mediocre art, at least for me, is the art I see the most unfortunate. And in that regard, it's sad to see the ABC Murders has fallen down that route.
Or TLDR: It do be like that. ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Nice work on Jedi Outcast! I know you've played lots of Lego games too, so you may be interested in the new Lego Star Wars game coming out. I believe it spans across the entire cinematic story line, so I expect it to be chock-full of content! 1f605.png

Guilty as charged ? I do love a good LEGO title every now and then!

I am very interested in the new Star Wars one actually. I'm actually very, very curious to see how they gamify some of The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, both films have sections in them that are pretty tough to make a game out of, so it'll be interesting considering the light hearted tone of LEGO games where they decide to go with that.

19 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Funnily enough this reminds me of the dreaded saving in the PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas. I'm not sure exactly how it works since I've steered the heck away from that port from the nightmares I hear, but something with the saves makes the game so bloated with data that it brings the frame rate to an absolute stand still after an hour or so of playing, practically forcing you to make a new save file for when you tackle the DLC. In that regard, I find it quite similar to the woes of Jedi Outcast's saving!

You'd probably be right to shy away from the PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas. I hate saying that too, because it's my favourite Fallout game,but playing it on a PS3 is just something that will severely test probably even the Dalai Lama's patience.

All of those horror stories you've heard about bloated savefiles and horrendous framerate are all true. Honestly, bits of the Dead Money DLC played like a PowerPoint presentation. I was too stubborn to start a new save file too :facepalm: OOOOPSIE

23 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Considering the game came out in 2002, Luke's model looks pretty damn good for the standards back then. Hell, I'd say the look of that screenshot you put is on par with a model from 2004's Half-Life 2... I always find ways to bring up this game. 1f61c.png

Nothing wrong with a segue into talking about Half-Life 2.....We can always go to Ravenholm! Screw what everyone else says ?

I picked that specific Luke one, of the ones I had, because you can really see Mark Hamill in that I think, and for a game that is that old, to be able to actually decently resemble something is pretty impressive I must say.

25 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Also, good work with the ABC Murders. Point-and-click is a nostalgic genre for me, especially some of the missions in Disney's Club Penguin of all things. It's a shame the puzzles aren't up to par. I haven't dabbled in the genre for a long, long time but I know for a fact that interaction is the most essential aspect of it's gameplay, so seeing the puzzles not being that great conflicts a lot with the type of game it sets out to be. Point-and-click has the absolute advantage of letting you sit an admire each background and setting, so seeing as the gameplay isn't too compelling can be an unfortunate juxtaposition to this.
It is valiant that they'd take a cel-shaded direction though. Games like Borderlands (and I think Okami too) pulls it off quite well and can add a lot of artistic charm... But when push comes to shove, I suppose the most important thing is the gameplay itself, which is a shame for the case of this one.

It seems more people than I realise have got quite a few nostalgic point-and-click memories. I literally had a conversation on PSN earlier about that very thing, so it's interesting to hear that you have some too.

Despite what I might have sounded like in that review, I actually have an incredibly soft squishy spot for cel-shaded games. I do admire the fact they tried it with ABC Murders, because it at least sets it apart from some other games that you can closely compare it to. I just didn't really think it worked all too well outside of the backdrops and scenery, Hastings looks like a big shiny beetle. Instead of an older gent :lol:

Good shout with Borderlands and Okami, because they are such great examples of cel-shading done well. Especially Okami, which I know you've recently conquered, congrats on that by the way!

30 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

An important point you said at the end was that it was neither good or bad, and for me this is the worst thing a piece of art can do. Art in it's very nature insists on evoking an emotion, and for something to be simply mediocre is the worst. I've mediocre games like Sonic Forces, and in all honesty I have a stronger impression of the infamous Sonic 06; simply because it's known as a bad game. At least in the case of 06 I feel something out of it, but with Forces -- a game that's mediocre -- it's the worst feeling. Mediocre art, at least for me, is the art I see the most unfortunate. And in that regard, it's sad to see the ABC Murders has fallen down that route.

I love that you brought this up man!

I had a section that read a little like that at the end of the ABC review originally, but I ended up cutting it, because I worried I'd made that sound fairly negative already, but the way you worded it, it doesn't make it sound negative. It just very much echoed my own frustrations dude!

That is for me also the biggest sin any form of art can commit, is to just be mediocre, or boring. At least if it's objectively bad, it will still linger in your memory, even if it isn't for the right reasons.

That kind of thing almost - and I'll probably sound very pretentious here - but, it almost feels disposable. I hate when anything that could, and should be considered art can ever feel like that, because it absolutely never should.

Thanks for the feedback Shroob! Nice to see you dropping some awesome wisdom bombs as always!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

It's the sequel to the game that had the Mysteries of the Sith expansion. They all have really convoluted names 1f606.png

Dark Forces was real good for a Doom clone wasn't it? I remember when I originally played it back on the PS1, because when I was younger I could probably grow vegetables in the garden that could run a game quicker than my early PC could have done :lol:.... But I digress, what's new right? I was never bothered about how similar to Doom it was, to me I was just happy I could play something like Doom, that had a Star Wars skin on it. 

When I did get to play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, the one that has the Mysteries of the Sith add on - I remember being really excited about the fact you could wield a lightsaber in first person mode, that seemed so cool and new to me at the time. 

Dude those are some fine games to have taking up room on your hard drives.... I played the hell out of Half-Life once I did have a decent PC. I played pretty much any of the expansions I could find for it too, even that weird Blue Shift one. 

I only ever played the console version of Unreal, the one that was called Unreal Championship, but I used to really enjoy that too in local multiplayer! Awesome times! Although I could imagine it was probably better on the PC?

Ahh yes, Dark Forces II had the standalone DLC (weren't even called DLC then!)

Dark Forces was excellent for a Doom clone, yes.  I played it more than Doom back in the day.  You could tilt your view up and down, unlike the latter!

The only Unreal I truly remember playing was the first one, on PC.  Back when you had to have a graphics accelerator card to run a lot of games, but Unreal and Half-Life and Quake II were the first to include a software renderer, I think.  In any case, all the cool kids had SLI Voodoo2s but those were ungodly expensive back in the day.

I'm old.  Where is the old man emoji?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Ahh yes, Dark Forces II had the standalone DLC (weren't even called DLC then!)

Dark Forces was excellent for a Doom clone, yes.  I played it more than Doom back in the day.  You could tilt your view up and down, unlike the latter!

The only Unreal I truly remember playing was the first one, on PC.  Back when you had to have a graphics accelerator card to run a lot of games, but Unreal and Half-Life and Quake II were the first to include a software renderer, I think.  In any case, all the cool kids had SLI Voodoo2s but those were ungodly expensive back in the day.

No I suppose they weren't haha...... Expansion pack sort of has a better ring to it, too.

You know - I didn't even remember you couldn't do that in Doom, so that almost certainly means I played Dark Forces more myself. I can still picture a lot of the layout of that first Dark Forces level too.

Well the one I played, Unreal Championship was just a port of that anyway, just set to whatever the limits of the original Xbox was, so I expect it was much better experienced on a PC.

I know I wouldn't of been one of those cool kids that had a SLI Vooodoo thingymajig. We had PC's in our house but they pretty much wouldn't run anything like that. I think I would have found more joy from playing with a hoop-and-a-stick :lol: than I would trying to play Quake II on the first PC that was ever mine. Which had a 6GB hard drive, and a whole 64kb of RAM...... Corrrrr blimey Mr, now you can see why I played a lot of old point-and-click games because they were for a while the only thing that would run stably. :facepalm:

16 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I'm old.  Where is the old man emoji?

I genuinely did a google search to try and find one for you - but I decided on this instead ?

simpsons-abe-simpson.gif

Which is what I felt like the other day when my nephew and I watched Short Circuit, to which he said "This seems very old, it must have been from like 2011, or something" and I was like.........." I wasn't even BORN when that film released" but to think he thought something like that, was only ten years old, that made me feel ancient haha!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I WAS born when Short Circuit was released! 1f602.png

Bro I relate to this so hard?

17 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Games like Borderlands (and I think Okami too) pulls it off quite well and can add a lot of artistic charm... But when push comes to shove, I suppose the most important thing is the gameplay itself, which is a shame for the case of this one.

Shrooby!

Well said. Cel shading (and really any quirky or generally gorgeous presentation) is awesome, but if the gameplay is wack then it just comes across as a crutch, like bells and whistles to distract you from the fact that the game ain't all that.

17 hours ago, Shrooba said:

An important point you said at the end was that it was neither good or bad, and for me this is the worst thing a piece of art can do. Art in it's very nature insists on evoking an emotion, and for something to be simply mediocre is the worst. I've mediocre games like Sonic Forces, and in all honesty I have a stronger impression of the infamous Sonic 06; simply because it's known as a bad game. At least in the case of 06 I feel something out of it, but with Forces -- a game that's mediocre -- it's the worst feeling.

If I put art out into the world and the general consensus was "this made me feel nothing," I would definitely need to have a serious talk with myself?

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Here he is walking away from that meeting.....

tumblr_m8385xXEiT1r270ozo1_250.gif

Then again, when he heard Short Circuit 2 was going to have him be the lead actor!

z9T3Hg.gif

Everybody has a price?

As weird as it is, I always liked the fact that he had an oddly specific animation to that cartwheel flip exclusive to when he was naked. Where he would hold his dangle parts when he did it, and do like an armless cartwheel to stop things flying around. Kolima is a weird fella. :facepalm:

There's no way they didn't know we would all try that! I feel like the more normal route would be to say "well, I'm naked, so maybe looking cool with a cartwheel doesn't need to be my top priority right now and I could just do Snake's dive or something." Perhaps they could've given him a sock?

Eurgh yeah Raven......in the WWF, the least said about that the better. As a big ECW fan, seeing someone who had a tremendous ability to capture attention with just his words alone, they sure did waste him.

Even if seeing him, Kane and Big Show driving around in a Golf Cart at Wrestlemania 17 is still one of the funniest and surrealist things I've seen in wrestling. Or just the bit when Kane drives along by himself with the ref in the back like it's all fine and normal. Then, splat!

s92JhY.gif

I think Big Show just stumbling around like a confused Bear that's just had a log fall on it, makes it pretty funny too. There's a funnier bit earlier in the match, but I couldn't find a gif of that bit.

Oh yeah, Raven was criminally underused. In the WWF he was basically the "hey, I like weapons" guy. It was infuriating how they continued doing that with the huge influx of talent, like Vince's ego just wouldn't allow for guys from the other companies to look good or something. How they did DDP is another example!

*sigh*

Anyway.

I just remember Big Show throwing that fucking shopping cart at Raven's head???

Their backstage antics in that era were somethin else, man! Every once in a while I'll find myself watching old WWF/E shit, that was a great time to be a wrestling fan.

I can see how placing bets on the battling health bars would be good after a few drinks..... Unfortunately when KYR came out I had just turned 10 only a month previously, so that wasn't really an option for me :lol:...... Sorry if that suddenly makes you feel old, in reality, you're not that much older than me at all though.

Hahaha it does, the difference between 10 and 17 utterly dwarfs the difference between 31 and 38, but it's true you and I are not super far apart. At least at the time we were underage too (how often is that okay to say)! When I said that it probably sounded like we were twenty somethings, we were just teen delinquents?

I really couldn't say about the voice acting - it could be that she got burned out I suppose. But you'd think she would have done at least one of them well, and then got burnt out, but some of them, I think I could have just pointed a Microphone at my sister, told her to read the lines and she might have done a better job! Which I feel harsh saying, but I know someone else would say it much harsher I suppose. :facepalm:

It really does make you wanna record a demo or something when you see voice actors coasting like that. I would love to do that for a living, and would try whatever I could to make a name for myself. Like if you turned in that type of performance, how could you be proud to see your name pop up in the credits, y'know? Like you illustrated, it's not to shit on her or anything, but it's just an unfortunate thing to see.

The upside is, I've just a played an pretty damn good point-and-clicker, balance is returned, so it's restored my faith in the genre (not that ABC Murders could make me lose it).... Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to review it right now, so it's still fresh. I'll probably hold off till tomorrow now, as it's pretty late.

I saw you were rackin up trophies playin something new! Good on you man, can't wait to hear your thoughts?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

There's no way they didn't know we would all try that! I feel like the more normal route would be to say "well, I'm naked, so maybe looking cool with a cartwheel doesn't need to be my top priority right now and I could just do Snake's dive or something." Perhaps they could've given him a sock?

It was definitely a weird decision that's for sure.

If you ever get the HD collection - or you ever played the Substance version of MGS2 in the extra VR Missions there's a whole set of unlockable missions that you have to do as Naked Raiden, which is quite odd. Where they kind of double down on the "Hahaha look a naked person" thing

22 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I WAS born when Short Circuit was released! 1f602.png

Bro I relate to this so hard?

Oh dear! Sorry guys! Hey I mean it was only four years before I was born..... I don't know why that specific thing made me feel old, but it did :facepalm:

Oh yeah, Raven was criminally underused. In the WWF he was basically the "hey, I like weapons" guy. It was infuriating how they continued doing that with the huge influx of talent, like Vince's ego just wouldn't allow for guys from the other companies to look good or something. How they did DDP is another example!

*sigh*

Anyway.

I just remember Big Show throwing that fucking shopping cart at Raven's head1f62c.png1f62c.png1f62c.png

Their backstage antics in that era were somethin else, man! Every once in a while I'll find myself watching old WWF/E shit, that was a great time to be a wrestling fan.

Yeah that was pretty much Ravens thing in the WWF back then..... I did read that Vince didn't even realise for the longest time that Raven was employed, saw him backstage one time and later exclaimed " WHO THE HELL RE-HIRED JOHNNY POLO" (or similar words)  which was his gimmick from the early 90's.

The less said about DDP the better. Poor guy!

How do you go from being the peoples champion in WCW, to being the stalker of The Undertakers wife. He had a mental career though when you think about it. He was a manager for the longest time, and then at 36 he decided, y'know what, I fancy actually wrestling. So hats off to him for actually committing to it.

Raven was bumping hard in that match - he even got thrown through a window by Big Show if I remember right. I guess they blew their budget for sugar-glass that day.

Hahaha it does, the difference between 10 and 17 utterly dwarfs the difference between 31 and 38, but it's true you and I are not super far apart. At least at the time we were underage too (how often is that okay to say)! When I said that it probably sounded like we were twenty somethings, we were just teen delinquents1f604.png

When you put it like that, yeah..... 10 and 17 are miles apart haha. Certainly when you put it in those terms. I was bugging my Mum to play it early on Christmas Eve, and you were off trying to procure some fine beverages to make the experience even more enjoyable ?

It really does make you wanna record a demo or something when you see voice actors coasting like that. I would love to do that for a living, and would try whatever I could to make a name for myself. Like if you turned in that type of performance, how could you be proud to see your name pop up in the credits, y'know? Like you illustrated, it's not to shit on her or anything, but it's just an unfortunate thing to see.

Exactly, it seems like it would be a pretty fun job to have. I'd love to at least have a go at something like that myself.

But I've also been on the other side of it, where I've had to re-record audio for ADR for short films and stuff and it can be quite stressful on both sides. 

So maybe that actress just doesn't perform well under pressure - or, they didn't put enough on her, and just let her deliver it and they just said it was okay. It's hard to say, because sheesh, if those were the best takes they had, then I dread to think what the worst ones sounded like. I feel bad for the actress because asking her to play so many parts is a real big ask!

I saw you were rackin up trophies playin something new! Good on you man, can't wait to hear your thoughts1f607.png

I'm actually off to go write that review after doing this reply. Yeah man!  Those trophies were coming thick and fast, it was raining trophies fora fair while whilst playing that game, but it was an awesome time, so I'm really looking forward to writing about that one. Then I've gotta write one for RE5 too I guess now ?

• Like 1

A speedy response for once!!

17 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

If you ever get the HD collection - or you ever played the Substance version of MGS2 in the extra VR Missions there's a whole set of unlockable missions that you have to do as Naked Raiden, which is quite odd. Where they kind of double down on the "Hahaha look a naked person" thing

That reminds me of how teenage boys will try to prank one another in the locker room by faking like they're gonna rip the towel off of you. Even then, this baffled me! Like what is the goal here? You're trying to see me nude? Oh no, you sure showed me!

Oh dear! Sorry guys! Hey I mean it was only four years before I was born..... I don't know why that specific thing made me feel old, but it did :facepalm:

No worries???

I don't think I really started noticing that until the last few years... I expect it to only get worse?

Yeah that was pretty much Ravens thing in the WWF back then..... I did read that Vince didn't even realise for the longest time that Raven was employed, saw him backstage one time and later exclaimed " WHO THE HELL RE-HIRED JOHNNY POLO" (or similar words)  which was his gimmick from the early 90's.

AAAUUUGGGGHH that's awful... and even more so because it's so easy to believe.

The less said about DDP the better. Poor guy!

How do you go from being the peoples champion in WCW, to being the stalker of The Undertakers wife. He had a mental career though when you think about it. He was a manager for the longest time, and then at 36 he decided, y'know what, I fancy actually wrestling. So hats off to him for actually committing to it.

That's not a good thing - that's a bad thing!

?

Yeahmann, and what a remarkable run he made of it too. And apparently he's quite a stand up dude as well! I saw he helped numerous wrestlers sober up, most notably Scott Hall.

Raven was bumping hard in that match - he even got thrown through a window by Big Show if I remember right. I guess they blew their budget for sugar-glass that day.

He had a match like that with the Undertaker too where he was just obliterated. It's like they thought "ooh, he's from ECW? That means he can take all kinds of punishment that we wouldn't dare ask of our actually respected performers. This is great!"

But I've also been on the other side of it, where I've had to re-record audio for ADR for short films and stuff and it can be quite stressful on both sides. 

This is true, I am quite familiar with this! EQ settings, audio and video alignment, proper mic'ing, mixing... there's a lot to it beyond the fantasy of it for sure!

I'm actually off to go write that review after doing this reply. Yeah man!  Those trophies were coming thick and fast, it was raining trophies fora fair while whilst playing that game, but it was an awesome time, so I'm really looking forward to writing about that one. Then I've gotta write one for RE5 too I guess now 1f602.png

Yuss!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

That reminds me of how teenage boys will try to prank one another in the locker room by faking like they're gonna rip the towel off of you. Even then, this baffled me! Like what is the goal here? You're trying to see me nude? Oh no, you sure showed me!

Yeah that specific one definitely happened to me once or twice, baffled me then too.

I wonder how a closet nudist would react to that, I guess they'd just stand there and be like "AND......... you expected something else"

41 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

That's not a good thing - that's a bad thing!

1f601.png

Yeahmann, and what a remarkable run he made of it too. And apparently he's quite a stand up dude as well! I saw he helped numerous wrestlers sober up, most notably Scott Hall.

Absolutely! Whoever would have expected he would have been as successful as he was - he certainly didn't from what I can gather, he just made it his mission to get better, and better.

DDP has to have some magical abilities of some sort - because he's worked some absolute miracles with some of the people he's helped. Some really impressive stuff, especially the fact that he managed to get both Scott Hall and Jake Roberts to clean up and pretty much stay clean.

I keep trying to get both of my parents to try out DDP Yoga as it's meant to do wonders for people suffering with arthritis, and help them get a lot more mobility, which I'm about 90% sure they both have a bit of now (arthritis ,) but I've not been able to sell them on the idea quite yet!

46 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

He had a match like that with the Undertaker too where he was just obliterated. It's like they thought "ooh, he's from ECW? That means he can take all kinds of punishment that we wouldn't dare ask of our actually respected performers. This is great!"

I'd like to have seen him try that with New Jack..... He might be a real dead man a little quicker xD

47 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

This is true, I am quite familiar with this! EQ settings, audio and video alignment, proper mic'ing, mixing... there's a lot to it beyond the fantasy of it for sure!

Yep, absolutely man - that and the first person that usually gets blamed is the sound person...... So even if you have someone giving a terrible voice-over somehow that still becomes your fault ?....

.............Sometimes it is though haha! xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I wonder how a closet nudist would react to that, I guess they'd just stand there and be like "AND......... you expected something else"

I imagine the newly outed nudist being very grateful, and chasing the dude who pulled off his towel trying to give him a big hug?

DDP has to have some magical abilities of some sort - because he's worked some absolute miracles with some of the people he's helped. Some really impressive stuff, especially the fact that he managed to get both Scott Hall and Jake Roberts to clean up and pretty much stay clean.

I keep trying to get both of my parents to try out DDP Yoga as it's meant to do wonders for people suffering with arthritis, and help them get a lot more mobility, which I'm about 90% sure they both have a bit of now (arthritis ,) but I've not been able to sell them on the idea quite yet!

I forgot about Jake Roberts...

Damn, I'd try out DDP Yoga, even without the arthritis!

I'd like to have seen him try that with New Jack..... He might be a real dead man a little quicker xD

Too true??? that is a truly frightening man, New Jack!

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #346

Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love (PS4)

L074027.png

Great write-up as always, sir!

Really glad you were able to find something great after that ABC Dreckfest! I'm gonna start taking note of these point and clickers, I never had much interest before but I think I've finally read enough reviews to be more open to giving one a shot!

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

After getting the 100% completion ticked off on Resident Evil 5 last night..... Thanks so much @YaManSmevz for the assist, by the way dude! it looks like I've got to write my fist Resident Evil review in this thread, so I guess I'll start that later on after I've gone out for some driving practice this evening!

Dude, thank you! I'm this close to the hundo myself?

Doo it! Doo it!!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, rjkclarke said:

You could always go hard at your completion rate if you ever felt the need to. I wouldn't mind getting mine up to 98% this year if I can manage that.

I think the lowest on mine is 6% and that was from Hustle Kings..... Surprisingly that was about the only pool game I've never quite been able to get along with. I guess that'll happen when you make a pool game where it feels like smashing spherical concrete together. Sad times.

5 years is far too long to wait for just one piece of story content - especially when they were considering hot fixes and weapon buffs and nerfs as "new content" they are apparently a little better now for releasing content, but as I've not played the game since 2019 I wouldn't know.

I checked just out of curiosity after you said that, and I was way off on the amount of DLC. It has 31 DLC packs. It has even more on the PS5 version So erm yeah, that's quite a lot. I should just power through it though, I put it down to be done for the ultra rare cleanup event. One of the trophies is for driving I think 1 million miles on this little skateboard thing called a K-Drive and that is really putting me off.

I don't have a clue if they'll ever get to a Warframe 2. I don't know if you ever played it, but Warframe is actually like the, sort of sequel to Dark Sector,which was a pretty good PS3/360 game back in the day.

Firstly, 98 percent completion rate would be highly impressive so congrats in advance if you achieve that!

Secondly, yes I have tried and improved my completion rate a bit. When I first started trying to work on it, it was around 33 percent I believe so I've done a lot considering. My personal goal is not as high as 98 percent type amount, I'd be happy with 66.66.

Yes absolutely. if a game franchise I was excited about did that, I'd be really miffed to say the least.

Woah, 31 DLC packs?! That's insane! Got to be a record surely. Oooo any gamer loves those kind of trophies - drive 1 million miles types ones. They are delightful! lol

I've heard of Dark Sector, but I've never played it. Recommend it? (Like I need more games lol)

I can't remember if I've ever asked you this, but did you ever play Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy back in the day? If not I reckon you might have a good time with the PS4 versions of those. I'm trying to get those both reviewed in here this week. Jedi Outcast is at the top of this page if you haven't read it. Those games might be up your alley if you fancy a bit of old school Star Wars goodness.

Yes I played both and they were both very fun. I preferred Outcast personally (Probs in the minority there). I will probably get around to those PS4 versions at some point lol

I don't think so - but the Game of the year edition goes on sale pretty often for about £9 sometimes which is a pretty good deal for the amount of content you get with it. I still need to go back and finish off all that DLC in it myself.

?

No, gotta leave some of it a mystery haha :lol:

I've posted my first name in here plenty, but I'll leave the others a mediocre mystery haha!

I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere, where CM Punk said that the CM part of his name came from when he was in a tag team way, way back at the start of his career where they were called The Chick Magnets. Then he just kind of kept the CM part at the start of his name for the rest of his career. Hey, I mean it worked for him though.

Haha! Royal Joker King is really good actually, I rather like that one. I can't really be JK though 1f606.png... I was at a Jamiroquai gig a couple of years ago, and I wasn't on the stage..... You ever noticed how much he looks like Danny Dyer these days. Come to think of it, I've never seen the two of them in the same place either!

haha fair do's

Wow really? Never knew that. I've seen some of his interviews, very straight talking kind of guy. Yep the name works for him.

I haven't seen JK for years so having an image in my head of him potentially being Danny Dyer is random lol

You can keep Royal Joker King, just give me some credit for it haha

Yeah I'm looking forward to a lot of PS5 titles myself - I'm just having to be an adult about not actively seeking one out. I'm learning to drive at the moment (I know I started very late) and I think I'm going to need a lot of lessons, and they unfortunately aren't cheap.

I'll definitely need a few, especially considering the fact I've made the car bounce around like a Kangaroo a few times whilst trying to get the hang of smoothly changing gears.

I feel pretty confident you'll have a great time with Wreckfest based on what you've said.

Are you willing to share with us what the gameplay guide is on? Or are you keeping that under your hat?

Firstly, kudos on learning to drive and I hope it goes well! Yes sadly they cost a lot of money when I learned so I'm sure its even more expensive nowadays.

Yes I think I'll enjoy Wreckfest too, and yes I have to be an adult about getting a PS5 too lol having kids does that to you.

I am pretty close to finishing it, so I'd prefer not to reveal what it is until it has been submitted for review at least. Let's just say that I will not be writing a gameplay guide again for a long while, it's taken way longer than I thought it would. Hope the end product will all be worth it! Once it has been hopefully published at the very least I would definitely tell you what it is. ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #346

Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love (PS4)

L074027.png

You know what the greatest thing of all about that is?  Is the fact that their gamble actually worked. Whilst I was very much excited by the idea of a point-and-click game developed by Artifex Mundi what I ended up thinking, rightly, or wrongly is that it’d be a typical Artifex Mundi game where the layout is just changed from a first person perspective to that of a third person one. For a first effort, what I hoped for was competence, and what I expected was maybe a little derivativeness – what I wasn’t prepared for was near excellence.

Fucking A!

That's awesome to hear - what a pleasant surprise to see AM step outside their wheelhouse and have it work! 

I've always been convinced they had more chops than their rather conservative business model showed, and this one is going straight on my wishlist - not just because I want to play it, but because I want to encourage this kind of gamble - from all of the industry!

Each of the family members is an artist’s rendition of popular point-and-click characters, obviously tweaked ever so slightly to avoid copyright infringement, but you can absolutely see who’s who.

That being said – the aspect of that picture that I loved the most – was the two people that Evan directly descended from, and when you look at it, and you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Those two characters are Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island and Goal from Deponia.

It’s fascinating to me that Artifex Mundi decided to directly address their closest influences like that – because, there is something about that, which rings very true – to me at least, about Irony Curtain being a mixture of Monkey Island and Deponia. Irony Curtain is very similar to Deponia stylistically, whilst also having some of the sensibilities and plot eccentricities of Monkey Island. Even down to small things, like Evan’s naive bumbling likeability that he has in common with Guybrush.

This is actually really interesting when you think about it - I've always kind of wondered whether AM themselves consider their own output to be in the Point-n-Click Adventure genre, or if they saw themselves as more their own thing - born out of iOS style and Frogware / Nancy Drew stuff, as they have a lot of that side of influence too.

I think this seems to confirm they see themselves as one prong of a progression from Lucas Arts / Sierra, rather than Frogware - not that I would mind either way, but it's interesting to consider how they see themselves!

It’s a real love letter to the genre, but not in the same way something like Thimbleweed Park is, this game is a statement that the genre can still thrive, and still be  worthy of attention, even in the modern era of gaming.

I’d even argue that the puzzles found within Irony Curtain are of a general quality improvement over the usual type you’d find in an Artifex Mundi game (not that they are bad either, they just reappear very often, and if you play a lot, become a bit over familiar). I was absolutely, impressed by the fact that they leaned into being more in line with the genre, as opposed to going to the well with some of the familiar puzzles you’d expect from them. How many times can you say you’ve made a lever rise, by tying a condom inflated with helium onto it? Not many of us I’m sure, unless you work in a particularly odd subsection of engineering.  

This is just sounding better and better to me - the puzzles are the thing that brings me to AM again and again - the lazy-Sunday-Afternoon simple puzzle-style is a cozy blanket to me, and so hearing they keep those, but try the new style is just what I wanted to hear.

I can safely say that this is one of the point-and-click games I’ve enjoyed the most in recent times. It has got a few hiccups here and there, sure, where some sections are a bit longer than they should be, but overall it was a great experience for me. For a first attempt at the genre, they did a fantastic job, and I’m really hopeful that this isn’t the last time they make one either.   

This - coming from you specifically, is quite an endorsement!

Awesome stuff as always dude!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I forgot about Jake Roberts...

Damn, I'd try out DDP Yoga, even without the arthritis!

It does seem to have a remarkably good success rate, so I'd definitely consider it myself..... Might be good for the next time I accidentally have a fight with a flight of stairs and fall down them back first again, and end up walking around like an 96 year old again xD

Too true??? that is a truly frightening man, New Jack!

Any person that manages to make their own forehead look like a beetroot because of the amount of times they've sliced into it on purpose during a match, is yes...... A TRULY FRIGHTENING MAN, and that is an understatement.

Great write-up as always, sir!

Really glad you were able to find something great after that ABC Dreckfest! I'm gonna start taking note of these point and clickers, I never had much interest before but I think I've finally read enough reviews to be more open to giving one a shot!

Thanks man!

I am really glad that I found something to help get rid of whatever feeling that ABC Murders had given me. Irony Curtain was a real breath of fresh air.

I must have reviewed quite a few point-and-clickers at this point thinking about it. You've already played a very good one in Grim Fandango if you want another Tim Schafer flavoured one then you might have a good time with Broken Age, that's one I'd recommend to anyone, it's got Doc's seal of approval too, or maybe Day of the Tentacle, that's another very good one, but it also feels as old-school as you can get.

I guess the upside to Day of the Tentacle is - if you didn't like it it's still pretty short. It's my quickest platinum I think. and that was without even remotely trying to go fast, and I was done within under 4 hours.

14 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Firstly, 98 percent completion rate would be highly impressive so congrats in advance if you achieve that!

Secondly, yes I have tried and improved my completion rate a bit. When I first started trying to work on it, it was around 33 percent I believe so I've done a lot considering. My personal goal is not as high as 98 percent type amount, I'd be happy with 66.66.

Cheers.... Well right now I'm basically 1.1% away from hitting that, but in reality I don't know how tough that's going to be to really push that up, I guess diving back in and cleaning up some of my older games is the only way to find out. Fingers crossed I can though

Getting to review an awesome game like Singularity is a big motivator though, so hopefully it won't feel like a chore.

That's awesome to go from 33, to where you are now. Go with what you are comfortable with, and if that ever changes and you want to go higher, then at least you have the option too. That's kind of the approach I've taken with the little "cleanup jobs" as I like to call them. Otherwise I'd worry it'd become workmanlike and nobody needs that with a hobby that should be fun, right?

I think you can hit 66 nicely, then you can always decide if you want to go higher from there I guess.

Woah, 31 DLC packs?! That's insane! Got to be a record surely. Oooo any gamer loves those kind of trophies - drive 1 million miles types ones. They are delightful! lol

I've heard of Dark Sector, but I've never played it. Recommend it? (Like I need more games lol)

It very much might be, I wouldn't know. It has 32 on PS5 haha, so I'm guessing that one will end up even larger.

Yeah actually, I would recommend Dark Sector, if you come across a copy for a decent price in CEX or something or Ebay, I'd give it a go. It doesn't have any trophies so it's essentially just a pretty enjoyable run through a decent third person shooter, with the really cool glaive controllable flying glaive mechanic that it has. It's only about 6 hours long.

Yes I played both and they were both very fun. I preferred Outcast personally (Probs in the minority there). I will probably get around to those PS4 versions at some point lol

No I don't think you are the minority - I used to prefer Academy, but when I replayed them last year, I preferred Outcast overall. But Academy still has vastly superior gameplay, which will probably be the thing I focus on most when I come to review Academy.

I'd definitely recommend those PS4 versions - outside of the terrible save system they're very good experiences I found.

15 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I haven't seen JK for years so having an image in my head of him potentially being Danny Dyer is random lol

You can keep Royal Joker King, just give me some credit for it haha

I didn't think so either, but when I saw him live during his Automaton tour, a couple of years back I couldn't help but notice the resemblance

Jamiroquai-Automaton-video-1485529297.jpg

084044159-557339d9-0c46-40c1-b2f9-4ce7eee211cc.jpg

They've got like the same facial structure and everything.....

Also @YaManSmevz - if you ever wondered what the guy who plays Kent Paul in GTA looks like, he's the dude in the bottom picture.

And yes, you can have the Royal Joker King credit if I ever make the change haha xD

Firstly, kudos on learning to drive and I hope it goes well! Yes sadly they cost a lot of money when I learned so I'm sure its even more expensive nowadays.

Yes I think I'll enjoy Wreckfest too, and yes I have to be an adult about getting a PS5 too lol having kids does that to you.

Thanks for the belief man!

I'm getting there slowly, I'm almost past the point where I'm constantly stalling..... but I also feel like I have about five feet, and nowhere to actually comfrtably put them yet whilst driving, but I guess it'll all come in time

I guess sacrifices are the very small downside to being a responsible adult I guess.

I am pretty close to finishing it, so I'd prefer not to reveal what it is until it has been submitted for review at least. Let's just say that I will not be writing a gameplay guide again for a long while, it's taken way longer than I thought it would. Hope the end product will all be worth it! Once it has been hopefully published at the very least I would definitely tell you what it is. 1f44d.png

Awesome! I'll keep my ear to the ground then..... Hopefully all your hard work will pay off - it sure doesn't go unnoticed in here, even though we're a select few I suppose, but clearly we absolutely aren't the only ones after you did really well at the guide of the year awards!

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Fucking A!

That's awesome to hear - what a pleasant surprise to see AM step outside their wheelhouse and have it work! 

I've always been convinced they had more chops than their rather conservative business model showed, and this one is going straight on my wishlist - not just because I want to play it, but because I want to encourage this kind of gamble - from all of the industry!

Absolutely mate!

Those were my thoughts almost exactly - although I must admit I expect I was a little more sceptical than you were, that they quite had the chops it turned out they did have.

I think you'll have a really good time with this one! Especially with the fact that like me you've played plenty of other AM titles, so the fact that this one is so, very different I think you'll probably enjoy it all the more for those reasons.

It's a gamble that I'm so happy paid off, and just like you, I'd love to see some other companies industry-wide try their hand at a few other things too.

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This is actually really interesting when you think about it - I've always kind of wondered whether AM themselves consider their own output to be in the Point-n-Click Adventure genre, or if they saw themselves as more their own thing - born out of iOS style and Frogware / Nancy Drew stuff, as they have a lot of that side of influence too.

I think this seems to confirm they see themselves as one prong of a progression from Lucas Arts / Sierra, rather than Frogware - not that I would mind either way, but it's interesting to consider how they see themselves!

It's interesting isn't it, because I've never really considered AM games to be truly point-and-click titles myself. I mean yes, you do point and click. But not in the same traditional sense that this is done.

So I found it very interesting that was sort of how they seemed to perceive themselves too. I had always assumed they saw themselves as their own specific thing, and I still personally think they are. Realistically when I think of Hidden Object games, these days I almost always associate that with AM. Despite there being plenty of other developers that also make those games, so I definitely think there's an argument to be made that they've carved their own little specific thing out for themselves.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This is just sounding better and better to me - the puzzles are the thing that brings me to AM again and again - the lazy-Sunday-Afternoon simple puzzle-style is a cozy blanket to me, and so hearing they keep those, but try the new style is just what I wanted to hear.

I feel like I might have been accidentally throwing a bit of unfair criticism their way with that statement. I like the familiarity of those puzzles too, and the cozy blanket analogy is almost a perfect one actually.

There is definitely a nice balance of old and new ones too.... You know those cool little fuse box puzzles they have where you've got to make a shape out of putting the different fuses into the different coloured symbols to make a pattern? That one is there, along with a few other regular AM staples, but I like the fact they really lean into some of the weird eccentric puzzle solutions you'd associate with point-and-clickers too. They really balanced it well I thought. 

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This - coming from you specifically, is quite an endorsement!

Awesome stuff as always dude!

Cheers man!

I really hope that you have a good time with it, when you play point-and-click games fairly often as I do, and whilst I generally love them, it's so refreshing when something like this just comes along and stands head and shoulders above some other ones.....

As I have already wittered on about plenty xD for their first attempt, this was a really impressive effort. So I really, really hope this is not their last either, it'd be such a shame.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

It does seem to have a remarkably good success rate, so I'd definitely consider it myself..... Might be good for the next time I accidentally have a fight with a flight of stairs and fall down them back first again, and end up walking around like an 96 year old again xD

Interviewer: Stairs, what's your prediction for your fight with rjkclarke?

Stairs: Prediction?

Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.

Stairs: .....PAAIIINN....

I must have reviewed quite a few point-and-clickers at this point thinking about it. You've already played a very good one in Grim Fandango if you want another Tim Schafer flavoured one then you might have a good time with Broken Age, that's one I'd recommend to anyone, it's got Doc's seal of approval too, or maybe Day of the Tentacle, that's another very good one, but it also feels as old-school as you can get.

I guess the upside to Day of the Tentacle is - if you didn't like it it's still pretty short. It's my quickest platinum I think. and that was without even remotely trying to go fast, and I was done within under 4 hours.

You guys have definitely fleshed out the shortlist! Grim Fandango was excellent, I really enjoyed the emphasis on a goofy story and funny characters, and from what I've seen you say about the genre, there's much more of that to be expected, which I'm about!

Sidenote: I really like Parappa the Rapper being my fastest plat, but It's a day and nine hours, so every time I play a game that can be finished in hours I end up deliberately stretching it out, because I have a problem?

084044159-557339d9-0c46-40c1-b2f9-4ce7eee211cc.jpg

They've got like the same facial structure and everything.....

Also @YaManSmevz - if you ever wondered what the guy who plays Kent Paul in GTA looks like, he's the dude in the bottom picture.

I can very easily see this face saying "LOOK AT THE ASSSS ON THATT."

Also I'm envious, I've never seen Jamiroquai?

On 2/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, The_Kopite said:

First of all, ???

Secondly, You should be proud of the progress you've made thus far, that's a big feat! I feel you'll hit that goal in no time dude.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Interviewer: Stairs, what's your prediction for your fight with rjkclarke?

Stairs: Prediction?

Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.

Stairs: .....PAAIIINN....

Haha! Yes! Brilliant.....

.....I wouldn't like my chances if some book-makers were actually trying to set up some odds on that one.

That's not a fight I've actually managed to win just yet, so I guess for the moment I'll keep falling down them and having to walk around sideways like a crab, or with my arse stuck out like Donald Duck until I manage to put enough real life skill points into Strength and Vitality and can withstand the stairs barrage a little better xD.

You guys have definitely fleshed out the shortlist! Grim Fandango was excellent, I really enjoyed the emphasis on a goofy story and funny characters, and from what I've seen you say about the genre, there's much more of that to be expected, which I'm about!

Sidenote: I really like Parappa the Rapper being my fastest plat, but It's a day and nine hours, so every time I play a game that can be finished in hours I end up deliberately stretching it out, because I have a problem1f602.png

Goofy story and funny characters usually go skipping down the street hand-in-hand when it comes to point-and-clickers especially ones that have had some of Tim Schafers influence on them. So I think you'd definitely be in safe hands with one of those, but they can be a real good light-hearted way to relax, for me they're like a nice warm hug in video game form, although you have a Wife for that whereas I don't haha..... Not to sound too much like a lonely little tit xD?

I don't think that Parappa thing makes you too weird - I'm sure I've done that at least once, I think a long, long time ago when I played Magus on the PS3 I was pretty certain that was going to be my fastest platinum, and I was hoping it wouldn't be.  I actually didn't hate that game though, so even if it had been I wouldn't have much cared. I'm not going to sing that games praises when I review it, but I'm not going to outright shit on it either. It isn't as bad as people say it is.

I can very easily see this face saying "LOOK AT THE ASSSS ON THATT."

Also I'm envious, I've never seen Jamiroquai1f614.png

Kent Paul is basically just Danny Dyers public persona turned up to 11 ?

Dude whilst we're on the subject, if you ever wondered what Maccer looks like... This is him...

2019_16_shaun_ryder21-scaled.jpg

He's a fairly odd chap Shaun Ryder - he very much sounds like Maccer too in his everyday speech, I've told you about it before, but I remember almost howling with laughter at the way he reacted to a question about Alopecia and what had happened..... His response was just "I DUNNO WHAT HAPPENED REALLEH..... I JUST WOKE UP AND ME HAIR WAS GONE" In the exact Maccer voice that you can probably imagine.

If you get a chance to see Jamiroquai live I'd absolutely recommend it man - hell of a good atmosphere when I saw him, pretty much the whole place was dancing including me, and I never usually dance unless I'm more than a few drinks deep ??

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

.....I wouldn't like my chances if some book-makers were actually trying to set up some odds on that one.

That's not a fight I've actually managed to win just yet, so I guess for the moment I'll keep falling down them and having to walk around sideways like a crab, or with my arse stuck out like Donald Duck until I manage to put enough real life skill points into Strength and Vitality and can withstand the stairs barrage a little better xD.

Just train in the wilderness like Rocky! You saw how high that got his vitality, my man was gettin knocked across the ring and kept comin back for more!

...what is it with me and Rocky all of a sudden...

I'd put money on you. Especially with that Donald Duck technique? Aw man, that'd be a wrap!

Goofy story and funny characters usually go skipping down the street hand-in-hand when it comes to point-and-clickers especially ones that have had some of Tim Schafers influence on them. So I think you'd definitely be in safe hands with one of those, but they can be a real good light-hearted way to relax, for me they're like a nice warm hug in video game form, although you have a Wife for that whereas I don't haha..... Not to sound too much like a lonely little tit xD1f606.png

This made me picture my wife coming home and walking in on me hugging my PS4, murmuring about dear sweet Timmy. Might not have a wife for long if that sort of thing happens on the regular?

I don't think that Parappa thing makes you too weird - I'm sure I've done that at least once, I think a long, long time ago when I played Magus on the PS3 I was pretty certain that was going to be my fastest platinum, and I was hoping it wouldn't be.  I actually didn't hate that game though, so even if it had been I wouldn't have much cared. I'm not going to sing that games praises when I review it, but I'm not going to outright shit on it either. It isn't as bad as people say it is.

Magus?? That's not a Chrono Trigger spin-off, is it?

Kent Paul is basically just Danny Dyers public persona turned up to 11 1f605.png

Dude whilst we're on the subject, if you ever wondered what Maccer looks like... This is him...

2019_16_shaun_ryder21-scaled.jpg

That right there is a true happy sack of a man!

If you get a chance to see Jamiroquai live I'd absolutely recommend it man - hell of a good atmosphere when I saw him, pretty much the whole place was dancing including me, and I never usually dance unless I'm more than a few drinks deep 1f602.png1f606.png

I would love to! I could only imagine... and I'm sure you couldn't help yourself! Jay's hat sent out the signals and next thing you knew your shoulders and hips were moving on their own - a phenomena I know all too well?

• Like 1