DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Okay so, you mentioned during the Bayonetta review that Enzo could be compared to Zeke from InFamous, and then after looking through the rankings I realized that you haven't ranked ANY of the InFamous games despite having completed all of them. That surprised me a bit given how Famous (heh) the series was on Playstation, so if it's at all possible for me to do so I want the entire series to be put on priority ranking. If not, then at least go until the second one because I want to know if Zeke's character development worked for you in that game after the Bayonetta comment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

Okay so, you mentioned during the Bayonetta review that Enzo could be compared to Zeke from InFamous, and then after looking through the rankings I realized that you haven't ranked ANY of the InFamous games despite having completed all of them. That surprised me a bit given how Famous (heh) the series was on Playstation, so if it's at all possible for me to do so I want the entire series to be put on priority ranking. If not, then at least go until the second one because I want to know if Zeke's character development worked for you in that game after the Bayonetta comment.

Good point - not sure why the inFamous games have slipped the net for so long.... this must be corrected! ☝️

I've flagged the first one for Priority Ranking with you name ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am.... FASHIONABLY LATE AS EVER xD.... So late I had to re-read some of these.

I really need to y'know, write a template or something for every time I come in here... I expect it'll read something like this....

"Oh for goodness sake Doc, you've added to _________ this to my backlog/ wishlist, I guess that goes on the pile too!" Or words to that effect, and unfortunately it would be no different this time around either.

So let's get into that side of it!

You have thankfully not added Bayonetta to that list, I always kind of wanted to play it, but I didn't realise that the game was quite like you described. Obviously the gameplay side of it, I was aware of -  but reading what you had to say about Bayonetta and how they characterised her rather put me off. I've heard so many people wax lyrical about how awesome she is - but I don't think they look too far beyond how sexy they thought she was. 

This, is another really interesting point you made about the character:

Kratos made me hate him. Bayonetta made me nothing her

Brutal! But that is probably quite accurate going off of everything else you said in that review. 

I'm probably going to play Path of Sin:Greed eventually, as you know I'm partial to An Artifex Mundi dabble or two, but this does sound like one that I could probably let fall a little further down even the line of Artifex Mundi titles on my hypothetical waiting list ?

I really like the sound of Road 96 warts and all, that sounds too interesting an idea of a game to pass up, even if not every single element of it quite works. I'm willing to forgive quite a lot when it comes to games anyway, so this is another one that I really like the look of, that I'd never of heard of had it been so soon, if it weren't for this awesome place!

Unpacking sounds really interesting - although admittedly a game I'd be absolutely bloody terrible at in the real world. I am pretty disorganised when it comes to actually creating a space that isn't too chaotic, so I'd definitely struggle with that side of it xD.

The side of it that really sounds amazing though is it's ability to enrich a character so much without the use of voice acting or anything like that, just tapping into things that we can mostly all understand to some level, that aspect sounds borderline genius, and one you'd just never expect going into a game like that!

I think between yourself and @Billie__227 and a few others now to be fair - I feel like I ought to dive into Doki Doki Literature Club and give that a go at some point too, I'm too intrigued about what that whole "pulling the rug from under you" moment is like to actually experience, that I find myself incredibly intrigued by it.

Oh man, I'm so torn on JETT: The Far Shore... I can almost feel your frustration coming off the page when you're writing that, about the fact that there's so many genuinely awesome aspects to it, and then an almost equal amount of frustrating ones. I remember when you posted a status update about that, it sounded so promising and something that I'd be pretty certain to like. With this one though, I'm almost certain I'd have a lot of the same frustrations you seemed to have with it. and that really bums me out, I still might pick it up at some point though, because the good aspects really do sound very very worth it. 

Without sounding too much like a broken record (it's tough, I'm me after all ?) A huge batch of awesome reads as always man!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I am.... FASHIONABLY LATE AS EVER xD.... So late I had to re-read some of these.

I really need to y'know, write a template or something for every time I come in here... I expect it'll read something like this....

"Oh for goodness sake Doc, you've added to _________ this to my backlog/ wishlist, I guess that goes on the pile too!" Or words to that effect, and unfortunately it would be no different this time around either.

So let's get into that side of it!

Cheers duder!

You have thankfully not added Bayonetta to that list, I always kind of wanted to play it, but I didn't realise that the game was quite like you described. Obviously the gameplay side of it, I was aware of -  but reading what you had to say about Bayonetta and how they characterised her rather put me off. I've heard so many people wax lyrical about how awesome she is - but I don't think they look too far beyond how sexy they thought she was. 

This, is another really interesting point you made about the character:

Brutal! But that is probably quite accurate going off of everything else you said in that review. 

Yeah - the irony is, it’s a damned good action game, but it’s not like those are all that rare… you really need more than that, and story-wise, that one is just not there the way it seems to think it is.

Occasionally it seems winking - like it knows what it is - but the “look how cool and edgy!” stuff does really undercut that. 

I'm probably going to play Path of Sin:Greed eventually, as you know I'm partial to An Artifex Mundi dabble or two, but this does sound like one that I could probably let fall a little further down even the line of Artifex Mundi titles on my hypothetical waiting list 1f606.png

Yeah - never bad, but about as middle of the road as Artifex Mundi can get - not good, not bad… just kinda there in front of you ?

I really like the sound of Road 96 warts and all, that sounds too interesting an idea of a game to pass up, even if not every single element of it quite works. I'm willing to forgive quite a lot when it comes to games anyway, so this is another one that I really like the look of, that I'd never of heard of had it been so soon, if it weren't for this awesome place!

I reckon you’d dig it - it’s tough to define exactly why it works, but it’s just got a vibe - a style that maybe shouldn’t work, but somehow comes together, and just turns all its potential drawbacks into assets!

I suspect the music helps that, but really, it’s just in its own strange world, and it comes together!

Unpacking sounds really interesting - although admittedly a game I'd be absolutely bloody terrible at in the real world. I am pretty disorganised when it comes to actually creating a space that isn't too chaotic, so I'd definitely struggle with that side of it xD.

The side of it that really sounds amazing though is it's ability to enrich a character so much without the use of voice acting or anything like that, just tapping into things that we can mostly all understand to some level, that aspect sounds borderline genius, and one you'd just never expect going into a game like that!

Yeah, really caught me off guard that - I had wondered why it was talked about so much in game of the year discussions on various outlets prior - that’s pretty much why I checked it out in the first place, but even knowing there was something special to it, it still surprised me with that stuff!

I think between yourself and @Billie__227 and a few others now to be fair - I feel like I ought to dive into Doki Doki Literature Club and give that a go at some point too, I'm too intrigued about what that whole "pulling the rug from under you" moment is like to actually experience, that I find myself incredibly intrigued by it.

Dude - do it!

And do yourself a favour, if that decision is a possibility… avoid everything about it until then! I’m not a big “oooohhh, spoilers, run!” Kinda guy, but in this particular case, you want to limit them as far as possible!

Oh man, I'm so torn on JETT: The Far Shore... I can almost feel your frustration coming off the page when you're writing that, about the fact that there's so many genuinely awesome aspects to it, and then an almost equal amount of frustrating ones. I remember when you posted a status update about that, it sounded so promising and something that I'd be pretty certain to like. With this one though, I'm almost certain I'd have a lot of the same frustrations you seemed to have with it. and that really bums me out, I still might pick it up at some point though, because the good aspects really do sound very very worth it. 

Man, it’s a bummer, because there is so much good stuff in there - along with so much “why?!?!

I think I still come out the back end kind of recommending it - it’s not for everyone, but I suspect your appreciation of the musical and artistic sides of games will definitely help you push through the negatives - it’s just frustrating because starting out, I was mentally noting it as a contender for top games this year, and by the end, I was genuinely asking myself “how much of a weird caveat am I gonna have to write if this ends up on my “best art”, “best music”, “oddball”… and “most disappointing” lists come December?!” ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Nice write-up on Doki Doki!

SPOILERS

Spoiler

That suicide scene gave me goosebumps, even though the trigger warning at the start of the game made it obvious to me that it would happen. Trigger warning aside, I think the game did a great job making you think that it was going to be some cutesy VN/dating sim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L6ef0d2.png

...the breadth of variety within that fairly simplistic model is actually very broad, smart and interesting.

Yep. Simple, broad, smart and interesting is why I love The Gardens Between. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zizimonster said:

Yep. Simple, broad, smart and interesting is why I love The Gardens Between. :D

Yikes - really highlighting my tenuous grasp of a good sentence with that quote there…

the breadth […] is broad…?” I need to proof read these better :facepalm:?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L9b7bc7.png

Papers, Please

Lovely review! Papers, Please is a game that captivated my attention ages ago and I've watched multiple full playthroughs on YouTube on the game since the game is so enjoyable to see people's genuine reactions the first time! All of Jorji's antics, the moral dilemmas, the actual stress of doing the job well, etc... I'm envious that it's not available to play on normal hardware. I've never felt the urge to buy a PS Vita since mobile gaming isn't something that captures much of my interest but this and P4 Golden (which will soon be available on modern hardware :D) were 2 of the games that always made me wish I had one. Glad to see it scored so highly cracking the Top 80 for you!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, realm722 said:

Lovely review! Papers, Please is a game that captivated my attention ages ago and I've watched multiple full playthroughs on YouTube on the game since the game is so enjoyable to see people's genuine reactions the first time! All of Jorji's antics, the moral dilemmas, the actual stress of doing the job well, etc... I'm envious that it's not available to play on normal hardware. I've never felt the urge to buy a PS Vita since mobile gaming isn't something that captures much of my interest but this and P4 Golden (which will soon be available on modern hardware :D) were 2 of the games that always made me wish I had one. Glad to see it scored so highly cracking the Top 80 for you!

Oh Jorji - he’s really the MVP of that game!

Yeah, kind of a weird one, because the shuffling papers aspect really needs the touch screen to work as intended - it could be done with selection from a list or something, but that wouldn’t really convey the frantic struggle to cope with the bureaucracy, and mouse controls on a stick would be almost impossible for that!

It’s tough to recommend the Vita in 2022 - it’s a great system for indie ports, but there really wasn’t the big-game support it needed. Pity really - was great hardware!

23 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Papers, Please

Each person has a story, and as the game progresses, the player will begin to encounter situations that test their ethical boundaries, and their dedication to following orders... in this case, substituted for gameplay mechanics.

Will the player happily take the gameplay (and reward) hit, to allow a married couple through together, even though one has the right documents, and one doesn't?
Will they deliberately deny a sleazy pimp from entry, despite his correct documents, given they can infer what he has planned for the girl he is going to meet?
When they start seeing evidence of a genuine political uprising seeping into Arstotzka, will they defend their brutal dictatorship from it, ensuring their own survival, or will they do their part for the resistance, at potential cost to themselves?

These kind of moral and gameplay dilemmas are what make Papers, Please work - and the fact that they are weighed against the very real possibility of the player failing makes it work so well.

Very interesting. You stress the moral dilemmas and argue that the player finds something out about himself. Maybe this was actually intended by the author;
or maybe the game was just intended as a puzzle game with a story in a specific setting; I don't know.

I happily pursued the various main endings just to see how they play out. I played the role, as it were, of a government employee just following orders so as to not endanger his family, or a dissident hoping for change, or an ordinary citizen merely trying to get out of this mess, respectively. Never did I question my actions; I simply did in the game what that role would have done.

The sort of emotional attachment that you feel was completely lost to me. (But then, it is in general rare that I form an emotional investment in a game. Apparently, Brothers is widely considered to be "an emotional ride" as well; never figured out why. ?)

The score is simple but effective, and virtually every piece of sound work is additive - in particular, the finality of the "stamping" noise (Accepted or Rejected) is oddly satisfying - helping the game to drive home it's cruel, yet smart message, that taking satisfaction in a job is not necessarily "right", even if it does feel good.

Only one sentence for the master piece that the theme and sound design is?

What this game does magnificiently is to create an atmosphere, to make the player feel inside a setting (I think we are in agreement about that.). And the music and sound design forms a major element of that atmosphere. Fire up the game again and listen to the first 10 seconds of the main theme, and you are inside the world of Arstotzka again. Each sound effect seems just right and contributes to the immersion perfectly.

The same goes for the visuals. All too often pixel art or retro style are used as an excuse for bad game design. ("You don't like the game? It's 'boring'? Well, sorry for not having state-of-the-art graphics. Now go away and keep playing CoD.") When it's done right, it forms part of an overall design, and it becomes un-noticeable. Thimbleweed Park is pixel art done right. Rabi-Ribi as well, and a few other examples. But Papers, Please is one of the very rare games which simply would not work in another style. I can imagine Thimbleweed Park with modern graphics; I can't imagine Papers, Please in any other style.

So full credits to the game for providing a brilliant atmosphere and bringing the setting alive (emotional investment notwithstanding). Glad to see that the scientific investigation comes to the same conclusion as my layman's observations.

25 minutes ago, Zvetiki said:

Very interesting. You stress the moral dilemmas and argue that the player finds something out about himself. Maybe this was actually intended by the author;
or maybe the game was just intended as a puzzle game with a story in a specific setting; I don't know.

I happily pursued the various main endings just to see how they play out. I played the role, as it were, of a government employee just following orders so as to not endanger his family, or a dissident hoping for change, or an ordinary citizen merely trying to get out of this mess, respectively. Never did I question my actions; I simply did in the game what that role would have done.

The sort of emotional attachment that you feel was completely lost to me. (But then, it is in general rare that I form an emotional investment in a game. Apparently, Brothers is widely considered to be "an emotional ride" as well; never figured out why. 1f605.png)

Ha, well, for sure, something I’m defined noticing in these write ups is that the stuff that sticks with me the most is when a game has some kind of emotional or cerebral element to latch onto - and even more so, when a game uses that element to make me feel uncomfortable, or to make a point about something specific about me or other players!

Only one sentence for the master piece that the theme and sound design is?

What this game does magnificiently is to create an atmosphere, to make the player feel inside a setting (I think we are in agreement about that.). And the music and sound design forms a major element of that atmosphere. Fire up the game again and listen to the first 10 seconds of the main theme, and you are inside the world of Arstotzka again. Each sound effect seems just right and contributes to the immersion perfectly.

The same goes for the visuals. All too often pixel art or retro style are used as an excuse for bad game design. ("You don't like the game? It's 'boring'? Well, sorry for not having state-of-the-art graphics. Now go away and keep playing CoD.") When it's done right, it forms part of an overall design, and it becomes un-noticeable. Thimbleweed Park is pixel art done right. Rabi-Ribi as well, and a few other examples. But Papers, Please is one of the very rare games which simply would not work in another style. I can imagine Thimbleweed Park with modern graphics; I can't imagine Papers, Please in any other style.

That’s true - I can’t really imagine a higher fidelity version having such an impact - good point!

On the music and visuals - yeah, I like them, but in the case of Papers, Please, those aspects didn’t have as much impact on me as the statement the game was making… that’s not to disparage them, but speaks to the how good the game is at the “statement” part!

I do tend to let these reviews each concentrate on different aspects - I always just let the most stand-out parts be the main focus, so the fact I spent less time on the music and look of it is only because I had a lot to say on the overall game experience… and don’t want these to be too long ?

So full credits to the game for providing a brilliant atmosphere and bringing the setting alive (emotional investment notwithstanding). Glad to see that the scientific investigation comes to the same conclusion as my layman's observations.

Glad to be of service, and thanks for the request! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

As you're infinitely more efficient and timely than me, with writing about your older (and new completions too come to think of it) than I am, I'd better post what I wanted to post the day I read these! Before a load more magically appear ?.

On 17/06/2022 at 1:40 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Ldcbacb.png

Fruit Ninja

This sounds like quite a lot of fun actually. Somebody should create a real life version or something.... but y'know with some health and safety measures implemented so you don't end up beheading your entire family by accident. So I guess it'd have to be outside rather than indoors ?

Nice to read about your time playing it with your son, I imagine that would be quite a bundle of fun for a kid to play particularly!

Le9e2b9.png

inFamous

Hell of a good read this one... well I mean they all were obviously, I guess that's a given.

It really was a great game for it's time wasn't it. But as you rightly say, also incredibly representative of that very specific era of gaming at the time, that we've moved past quite a bit now. 

Nice to see you didn't spend a huge portion of your time writing about it complaining about "THE ONE BLAST SHARD THAT THEY JUST COULDN'T FIND." Like I see a lot of people doing. 

Also I couldn't agree more about Zeke, I honestly struggle to find anything likeable about him at all. If I was Cole I probably would have been itching to turn him into a pile of ash.  I think he's probably most bearable in Festival of Blood. That could be down to the shortness of the game though. I'm assuming you're going to review that one too? I think you were tasked with all of them right? xD

I think I'd also take another Infamous game over another Sly Cooper game. I think there's much more scope with what you could potentially do there, than with Sly, Murray and the misery sponge Bentley

L9b7bc7.png

Papers, Please

If I could justify spending all that money for one console, it might be for this one. I assume this is also available on PC though, so I might just pick it up on that platform, and then write a review of it anyway (as that's usually what I'm always advising people to do, so why not take my own advice for once :facepalm:).

I think you'll definitely get on with Beholder, and specifically parts of Beholder 2 that very much lovingly borrow from Papers, Please. That game also explores some of the consequences of your actions in the later chapters too, I don't know if Papers, Please does that too, but it's certainly an interesting avenue for the game to explore.

These documents are actually tactile, in world items - the player physically moves them around his/her small desk, correlating and cross-referencing them with the day's current requirements documents - and as the days go on, and requirements and regulations become more and more convoluted, labyrinthine and bureaucratic, simply managing that space becomes a challenging part of the game. 

I've gotta mention this!

Oh I like that! That sounds not necessarily appealing, but very interesting! I'm naturally a little chaotic with how my desk is structured in real life. I hate that, but it's not something I do a very good job of controlling, so I'd be really interested to see if some of my own more disorganised habits might also translate into the game organically.

L8fef3a.png

Tetragon

Tetragon sounds like my kind of thing.... until you mentioned the final stretch of the game, and that made me want to panic just a tiny bit! Well, panic and post the SCARY BAD Rain Man gif.... until I remember it's probably offensive to some people :facepalm:

I did look up some gameplay of it, after reading the review, and it still looks interesting. It's got a hell of a nice art-style to it. It's just that whole change in pace of the gameplay at the end that really seems like a rash decision on the developers part.

I'll have to watch out for this one though, as it does look like quite a satisfying puzzler. When I was first reading your review of it, I expected it to play like a larger version of one of part of the recent Kings Quest, which also has some pretty elaborate column puzzles in it, but judging by the gameplay it's entirely different!

L6ef0d2.png

The Gardens Between

I think I've really gotta pull the trigger on this one though!

I've had my eye on it for ages... Especially as it's being championed by @zizimonster very often, I just never seem to pick it up whenever I see it on sale, but perhaps now might be the time!

There were so many things in there that screamed out as particularly noteworthy. Especially the fact that in almost every level there's familiar pieces of the environment that re-occur despite a change in setting. That's quite genius actually! Well done level designers (eurgh I sounded so patronising then). ?

So looks like you've fired another bullet into my backlog ?

Although if it keeps getting added to..... I'm going to have to start proclaiming this each time. xD

you-sunk-my-battleship-simpsons.gif

Thanks for another set of awesome reads dude!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

As you're infinitely more efficient and timely than me, with writing about your older (and new completions too come to think of it) than I am, I'd better post what I wanted to post the day I read these! Before a load more magically appear 1f602.png.

Ha - it is getting a little more manageable now - I’m glad I switched the format around to just make it 5 each time - because my previous requirement to do 5 + the bonus games was having a slightly negative effect…

…I was starting to dread finishing a game, as it would add another review to the in-progress post ?

It really was a great game for it's time wasn't it. But as you rightly say, also incredibly representative of that very specific era of gaming at the time, that we've moved past quite a bit now. 

Nice to see you didn't spend a huge portion of your time writing about it complaining about "THE ONE BLAST SHARD THAT THEY JUST COULDN'T FIND." Like I see a lot of people doing. 

Also I couldn't agree more about Zeke, I honestly struggle to find anything likeable about him at all. If I was Cole I probably would have been itching to turn him into a pile of ash.  I think he's probably most bearable in Festival of Blood. That could be down to the shortness of the game though. I'm assuming you're going to review that one too? I think you were tasked with all of them right? xD

God, Zeke is just the worst - Someday, someone is going to have to do the definitive work to establish who is the more irritating side character - Zeke, or Hurk…

…. but good Lord, it won’t be me ?

You know what’s weird…

…I’ve never played Festival of Blood!

I’ve done all 4 of the big games, but somehow Festival of Blood passed me by - I’m not sure why, as I’ve heard it ranked up there with Minerva’s Den and Undead Nightmare as great DLCs of that era, but somehow it just skirted my radar!

If I could justify spending all that money for one console, it might be for this one. I assume this is also available on PC though, so I might just pick it up on that platform, and then write a review of it anyway (as that's usually what I'm always advising people to do, so why not take my own advice for once :facepalm:).

It must be, right?

I assume it has to be - and I mean, it would take nothing to run it - a decent toaster could probably run the game at this point, so I’m sure it’s available somehow without having to buy a Vita or an iPad!

I think you'll definitely get on with Beholder, and specifically parts of Beholder 2 that very much lovingly borrow from Papers, Please. That game also explores some of the consequences of your actions in the later chapters too, I don't know if Papers, Please does that too, but it's certainly an interesting avenue for the game to explore.

Damn - I gotta get on those - I bought them ages ago, but as ever, my eyes are too big form my gaming thumbs!

Tetragon sounds like my kind of thing.... until you mentioned the final stretch of the game, and that made me want to panic just a tiny bit! Well, panic and post the SCARY BAD Rain Man gif.... until I remember it's probably offensive to some people :facepalm:

I did look up some gameplay of it, after reading the review, and it still looks interesting. It's got a hell of a nice art-style to it. It's just that whole change in pace of the gameplay at the end that really seems like a rash decision on the developers part.

I'll have to watch out for this one though, as it does look like quite a satisfying puzzler. When I was first reading your review of it, I expected it to play like a larger version of one of part of the recent Kings Quest, which also has some pretty elaborate column puzzles in it, but judging by the gameplay it's entirely different!

Oh, it has merit - and for sure, I know you’d persevere through that final stage - but it’s a big ask to have to do the worst part of the game twice, so had to be mentioned at least!

I think I've really gotta pull the trigger on this one though!

I've had my eye on it for ages... Especially as it's being championed by @zizimonster very often, I just never seem to pick it up whenever I see it on sale, but perhaps now might be the time!

There were so many things in there that screamed out as particularly noteworthy. Especially the fact that in almost every level there's familiar pieces of the environment that re-occur despite a change in setting. That's quite genius actually! Well done level designers (eurgh I sounded so patronising then). 1f612.png

Well - probably the best endorsement I can give for that one is… a Ps5 version came out a couple days after I finished…

…and I’m almost assuredly going to replay it pretty soon!

So looks like you've fired another bullet into my backlog 1f602.png

Although if it keeps getting added to..... I'm going to have to start proclaiming this each time. xD

you-sunk-my-battleship-simpsons.gif

Thanks for another set of awesome reads dude!

Cheers min!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I've actually championed another game a lot more often. :ninja:

?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ha - it is getting a little more manageable now - I’m glad I switched the format around to just make it 5 each time - because my previous requirement to do 5 + the bonus games was having a slightly negative effect…

…I was starting to dread finishing a game, as it would add another review to the in-progress post 1f602.png

I could probably do with some sort of actual defined format myself. I'd get to writing about my older completions much faster.  But my brain seems to tell me to laugh in the face of order and structure and just write them whenever the mood takes me. But that isn't very efficient by the looks of it. I WANT MY CAKE AND TO BE ABLE TO EAT IT ?

Ouch - yeah I could imagine that's not the best feeling. I suffered a little bit of that dread myself when I finished Pool Nation at the weekend, I was like "Shit now I have to write about that too, on top of everything else :facepalm:". But when you've already commited yourself to writing five, yeah I could imagine that's only amplified! 

I think you're doing a pretty fantastic job of actually writing about those older completions though, it's remarkable how many you've managed to get through in a little over a year.

I think I might have written close to 100 over the last year, but you must have doubled that at least I would have thought.

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

God, Zeke is just the worst - Someday, someone is going to have to do the definitive work to establish who is the more irritating side character - Zeke, or Hurk…

…. but good Lord, it won’t be me 1f602.png

You know what’s weird…

…I’ve never played Festival of Blood!

I’ve done all 4 of the big games, but somehow Festival of Blood passed me by - I’m not sure why, as I’ve heard it ranked up there with Minerva’s Den and Undead Nightmare as great DLCs of that era, but somehow it just skirted my radar!

It isn't going to be me either... I think we should leave that to a professional, otherwise if either of us attempted it, we'd be sat on a psychotherapists sofa having an existential crisis pretty quickly.

For some reason I'd assumed that you'd already played Festival of Blood. I did that same thing to you recently with another game like a complete Nimrod haha! I liked that one a lot actually. It's like a slightly smaller scale First Light, but still very enjoyable. quite interesting how the whole "vampire power" thing manifested itself. I'd definitely put up there as a great DLC from that time period. That reminds me.... I erm, I guess I still have Bioshock 2 unfinished on my backlog waving a giant fist at me.... thanks for the reminder man ?

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Damn - I gotta get on those - I bought them ages ago, but as ever, my eyes are too big form my gaming thumbs!

That's the problem we all face xD... Take it from me though, you can zip through those games pretty quickly. That's without rushing them too, so whenever you feel the urge to play them, they won't take up too much of your time, but I think you'll have a great time with them.

20 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well - probably the best endorsement I can give for that one is… a Ps5 version came out a couple days after I finished…

…and I’m almost assuredly going to replay it pretty soon!

That is a pretty ringing endorsement I agree! Especially as you're willing to replay it SO SOON after playing the original.

8 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

I've actually championed another game a lot more often. :ninja:

Haha! I know you have! So has practically everyone else, so I'll get to it eventually! ?

• Like 2

Okay, I don't remember how I found this but I saw that you completed Virtue's Last Reward, which is the second in a trilogy of visual novel/ escape room puzzle type games. I've completed the series on playstation, but I'm curious what this game is like for someone who didn't play the whole series given that this game sets up to the sequel in its ending and makes some pretty big references to the first game. (Though maybe you've played the first game on it's original platform, the DS).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grayhammmer said:

Okay, I don't remember how I found this but I saw that you completed Virtue's Last Reward, which is the second in a trilogy of visual novel/ escape room puzzle type games. I've completed the series on playstation, but I'm curious what this game is like for someone who didn't play the whole series given that this game sets up to the sequel in its ending and makes some pretty big references to the first game. (Though maybe you've played the first game on it's original platform, the DS).

I had played 999 on DS before playing VLR on vita, yeah - though I didn't actually ever play the third one... (which might give some mild hint as to the future ranking of VLR) ?

Nevertheless, I shall flag it for Priority Assignment, which your name - and we'll find out! ?

• Like 1

I'm really pleased you're actually doing some of these games quite the service! Especially ones that get bashed around with the "LOL EZPZ PLATINUM" stick!

Like this one...

Lf0e4ff.png

Jazzpunk

I only had a pretty vague idea about what Jazzpunk was, I just never really looked into it all that much!

It sounds like a pretty chaotic but hilarious time though, especially when you mentioned how rewarding it can be to just sort of stumble around the open world areas and find some ridiculous gag that you'd never have expected.

If you imagine that taking a coin from a busker's hat, and using it on a mechanical prostitute-bot will not result in some ridiculous nonsense... you are playing the wrong game, my friend.

Oh that's brilliant.... why the hell am I not playing this game! Especially if that's just one type of gag that you're likely to find. I might keep an eye out for this game from now on, because it sounds like a pretty hilarious time to be honest. I'd seen bits and pieces of gameplay over the years, but I'm sure they were actually mini-guides or something because they weren't really stopping to take part in a lot of the things that you mentioned!

L56a7f4.png

Shütshimi

If I'd played this game, I think I might have just assumed it was actually just a wild fever dream. I'd love to say this sounds great, but I'm not sure that it does. I'm going to trust the science on this one, and just take your word for the fact that the game seems to get in its own way more than it actually helps itself. Which is a shame, as it sounds like it has a few of the components of a good game in there, it just isn't quite one.

The design on some enemies is perfectly good - actually, some of the more odd enemies (roast chickens with sunglasses, riding surfboards, for example) do actually remind me of the truly bizarre enemy choices that would feature in 8-bit and 16-bit era games, and shows some smart attention to detail in the pastiche imitation...

Why couldn't an awesome game have had a roast chicken with sunglasses riding a surfboard.... Instead of... well, this! That's a shame. Guess I'll have to make Roast Chickens With Sunglasses, Riding Surfboards myself.... in my best Dr Nefarious voice..... "LAWRENCE, FETCH ME MY SONY DEV KIT" ?

L0a49bd.png

Ghost Giant

Full disclosure.... I actually made myself laugh out loud for, I don't know, a good while when I read part of this review last night... so I'll get that weirdness out of the way first.

I see a lot of the softly-educational games that get put on iPad for example, in which characters (usually Sesame Street characters in the Bloodmoney household!) will talk directly to the player, in a coaching, upbeat and encouraging way - and for the most part, that is the kind of game Ghost Giant feels like...
...except when it doesn't. 

For some reason, my mind completely drifted off when I read this part last night, and I imagined how hilarious it would be if Mr Snuffleupagus (The Mammoth from Sesame Street).... this guy....

snuffleupagus-mr.gif

Happened to use that same upbeat and encouraging voice to just..... Call me a C**t! You know if you couldn't guess, that word that this site censors above most others. I just couldn't get out of my head how funny that would sound :dunno:?

Ghost Giant seems interesting though - I'm glad you pointed out that it doesn't give you motion sickness, so I'd actually be a little more up for playing this one if a VR did happen to find it's way in mu direction.

It's a shame that the sort of tonal shift doesn't quite work as well as it should have done. It sounds like quite a smart one, even quite a subtle one. I'm not sure those are concepts that would be easy for children to really contextualise easily, so f it is meant to be an educational tool of sorts. I don't know how effective it would be. But I've gotta give Zoink the praise they deserve for actually attempting it!

L0cfa4a.png

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Take a bow with this one though my friend! These were all great reads, of course... but I particularly enjoyed this one.

Unfortunately you've done that thing you and I seem to do to one another fairly regularly, and you've made me not want to review this myself for quite a while, because there are so many bits in yours that would have read incredibly similarly to what I have to say about this game.

I think it is so admirable what Capcom did with this game. Recognising that where the series was going wasn't quite where it should have been, or even perhaps where people wanted it to go, so they stripped it back, and they made this. A really cracking game!

I can sort of understand some long-time Resident Evil fans gripes that it doesn't feel Resident Evil enough, but for me that was half the reason I loved it so much, BECAUSE it was so different, yet just sharing enough DNA that it is connected.

The obvious primary sources of influence are clear - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Evil Dead, Saw, Deliverance... however, there are oblique references to movies like The Shining, Seven, The Fly, .Rec, The Blair Witch Project, The Ring... even 1408 gets a nod at one point.

So.... am I actually a Horror fan? And I just haven't really realised? :lol::facepalm: I saw the influence of most of these myself when I played the game. I particularly liked the allusions to Rec and Blair Witch in this one too, as I think that's something they did an incredibly good job with.

The game - like most RE entries - uses sound very effectively - the distinct shuffles and clickety-clacks of a crawling moulded, or the wet splatter of a vomiting "bloater", or the hollow-boned crunch of a moulded being "birthed" from the floor are all distinct, and instil their own unique anxieties, but more than that, the game knows exactly where to put a squeaking floorboard, or a pipe clunk, or a door squeal to deliver the maximum level of tension... without feeling the need to constantly pay it off with a firefight. 

Yep, yep! It's pretty immaculate in Resident Evil VII, there's such an incredible amount of detail in almost every area of the sound design.... specifically so with something else you picked up on!

While previous RE games shared that excellent foley work, one area RE7 is a huge step up is score. The game weaponises silence a lot - there is not a huge amount of scored sections, but when there is, it is excellent.

I'm so glad that Capcom did this, and that you noticed it too! Silence is an underrated tool in sound I think. You can use it so effectively to punctuate a sequence, or simply to insert it into somewhere the viewer/player thinks there should naturally be some just to build a bit of tension or general unease. I think it was balanced so well in Resident Evil VII that it really does heighten things terrifically.

They're a bit all over the place those DLC's. As a general rule I really like them, and I think as far as actual playtime goes, they are some of the very best value for money ones available. I certainly appreciated what they were trying to do, by putting so much variety into them. So yo could compare Amnesia: Machine For Pigs, to the Daughters DLC huh? That's the Amnesia game I'm most looking forward to, You can probably guess why, because of my Jessica Curry sound goblin tendencies, now I'm even more interested in getting to it. I thought Daughters was great!

I could probably sit here all day pulling bits and bobs out of that awesome review, I might come back for the odd one or two more. I'm undecided ?

But that was awesome man! I'm really glad you enjoyed the game as much as you did too. It'd definitely become one of my favourite Resident Evil titles myself!

L8e8837.png

Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise

You were not wrong when you said this game would probably pique interest and it did. I like the idea that it has some slightly more taxing puzzles than an Artifex Mindi title might. As much as I like those the more you play them, the more you almost instantly know what to do, right? So having something with even a small smidgeon more challenge to them would be pretty welcome I think, I'll have to keep an eye out for it!

Even if it isn't quite on the same level as a say, Enigmatis 3, that's still pretty high praise, because that was a really great game, just a little smaller in scale. I'm intrigued by this one though. I like the idea of a slightly more relaxed puzzle experience, and almost a focus on solving the puzzles and then onto the next ones.

I find depending on how engaging I'm finding Artifex Mundi titles for example, sometimes I get really impatient, and start thinking to myself fine..... can I have some puzzles now please? Unfortunately Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink did that to me a little bit.

I suspect if/when you get to playing Irony Curtain, depending on if you apply the same ranking methodology to it, that might end up being a higher ranked Artifex Mundi title.

Awesome reads as always man!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I had played 999 on DS before playing VLR on vita, yeah - though I didn't actually ever play the third one... (which might give some mild hint as to the future ranking of VLR) 1f602.png

Trust me, as someone who played through the whole trilogy, if you didn't like the second game you will really not like the third game, so you probably aren't missing much.

• Like 1