DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

21 minutes ago, serrated-banner9 said:

don't tell him but i think i might do a trophy checklist based on his ideas. for sciense!!!!!!!!!! .........

what? it's a good idea

It's really cool to make one as it can literally be based on pretty much anything & it's always great to read through different experiences too. I've found many games that I probably wouldn't have got otherwise. There were a few games from this one that I got but haven't tried out yet.

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

:ninja:

1f602.pngHey-  bash on, my man - I didn't invent the concept of game ranking, and I don't have a monopoly on it...

... I'll be more than interested to read some Serrated-Science! 1f44d.png

It's definitely always interesting to read more.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

New

Griftlands

Rollerdrome

Yoku's Island Express

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars

Islanders

That's right - for the first time, this is a pure "maintenance" batch, as I've too many new S-Ranks to allow for any Legacy games ?

As such, no Priority Rankings this time - I'll try to get to the outstanding one next Batch though!

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Hitman 3, continue its glorious reign?

Is gaming turdlet LA Cops ever going to lose the title of 'Least Awesome Game'?

Let's find out, Science Chums!

Ready to read that Yoku review!

Also, eyeing up all the Voice of Cards games since they launched, so interested to see your thoughts on those as well!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

263a.png

Well,. didn't have to wait long for those! lol

I'm going to add Yoku to my 'to buy' list (which is too long in itself but there you go lol). Definitely think I'd find it good fun and would be nice to get even a teeny amount of that Sonic Spinball vibe. I enjoy playing pinball anyways so yeah, sweet! Glad the collectible thing wasn't too much of an issue!

Voice of Cards like I thought sounds right up my alley! Really interesting to see how (whenever I play it in the future) I'll react to the intriguing tone and way it is presented. 

Great reviews all around!

• Like 2

Great write-ups as always! I find myself disagreeing with the final rankings, but when they're so eloquently presented and substantiated, there's no way I'll embarrass myself trying to present counterpoints (which is anyhow really not the point of this exercise). Honestly, thanks for taking the time for these. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Just now, visighost said:

Great write-ups as always! I find myself disagreeing with the final rankings, but when they're so eloquently presented and substantiated, there's no way I'll embarrass myself trying to present counterpoints (which is anyhow really not the point of this exercise). Honestly, thanks for taking the time for these. Much appreciated.

Thank you sir!

Oh contraire though - I like this thread the most when folks argue back on my SCURRILOUS ANTI-SCIENTIFIC rankings! ?

Of course, it's all personal opinion, but all i will say is this: I need to go VERY low on the ranking to even get close to any games I don't think are worth playing... there is a tendency for people to see a game rank low, and think I didn't like it much.... but remember - these are already the games I not only bought and played - but played enough to S-Rank, so even a low ranked game is still something of an endorsement from me ?

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Thank you sir!

Oh contraire though - I like this thread the most when folks argue back on my SCURRILOUS ANTI-SCIENTIFIC rankings! 1f61c.png

Of course, it's all personal opinion, but all i will say is this: I need to go VERY low on the ranking to even get close to any games I don't think are worth playing... there is a tendency for people to see a game rank low, and think I didn't like it much.... but remember - these are already the games I not only bought and played - but played enough to S-Rank, so even a low ranked game is still something of an endorsement from me 1f609.png

Oh yes, I get that! I loved Yoku and what I played of Islanders and Griftlands, so it certainly feels as a bit of a jolt to see them rank so "low", but... there's certainly a lot of good games out there, so it may just be a problem of being spoiled players - my rankings could very well end up being similar (though with a long tail given the number of terrible games I play)!

That being said, I WILL debate you on Fallen Order, on the value of Far Cry narratives, or on how there can be 136 games above Sayonara Wild Hearts at some point! :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, visighost said:

That being said, I WILL debate you on Fallen Order, on the value of Far Cry narratives, or on how there can be 136 games above Sayonara Wild Hearts at some point! :D

? Well, I'll hear no debate on the rancid monstrosity that is Jedi Fallen Order.... but on Far Cry, I know what you mean - I'd still recommend Sayonara Wild Hearts much more often than Far Cry, but there is a scope and scale argument too, and versatility of play definitely matter a lot for me.

Far Cry might not be original, but it does have a repeatability and lets you approach things a lot of ways - and that's something that always gets a game pushed up the ranks for me.... there's a good reason Hitman is at the top spot! 

FC is actually my favourite series, and I do believe the narratives are undervalued (and sadly often bring out the worst in the alt-right/SJW "debates"). I need to get back to work but I'll leave you with fighting words: I've never played a Hitman game, and I would often stop in awe at the beauty of Fallen Order (I played it on PS5)!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Yeah agreed. 

I'm dead keen for all 5 of these so this should be a doubleplusgood batch.

IT BETTER BE...

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

results.jpg

1f4c9.png1f913.png NEW SCIENTIFIC RESULTS ARE IN! 1f913.png1f4c8.png

Oh whaddayaknow, it is!

L158463.png

Griftlands

Maybe this is really genre I just need to blindly jump into, you make it sound so fun. Especially if I could play as Smith and pretend I'm Dudley Moore in the movie Arthur's titular role?

Plus if not for Supergiant, Klei would be the GoaT. Speaking of which, when am I gonna get to Pyre?? Too many games, man...

L67f155.png

Rollerdrome

Yooo from first seeing anything about this game it's had me like "okay, okay!" and this has not changed things in the slightest. Might have to make room for this one, as you are basically confirming all I've suspected. A little dull repetition towards the end... eh, that's okay! A lot of good games fall prey to that. If that's the least of my worries, count me in!

Ldaa92c.png

Yoku's Island Express

This sounds charming! Every so often I'm in the market for something that feels bright and cute, this could do nicely! Intrigued by the whole pinball platforming concept, I mean it did wonders for Sonic.

Speaking of charmers...

L11fa59.png

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

The beefcake and butt cheek emporium didn't sell me if I'm being honest, and the gameplay itself doesn't quite pull me in, but I will say that I love how you describe the game's attitude. I'll always give a chance to something that can walk the line of not taking itself too seriously or lending itself over to parody entirely. That is is a tricky dance, I respect it.

L59fae4.png

Islanders

YAAAYYYY!!!

There's so much I felt and thought about this game that you were far better at articulating on than myself, so this was possibly my favorite part of the batch. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this one as much as you did (or at all, really). I was a pretty big fan myself? Possibly my top rec for anyone who wants to chill out with something short, but still have to think.

A fine job as always, Doc!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L11fa59.png

Amazing reading for all the games (as usual at the end I will see how much I've spent due to your reviews xD ) However THIS is the game from the batch that caught my interest the most, both because of Yoko Taro AND the cards used, which are manly af to say the least xD 

The premise also sounds good and the fact that I haven't dabbled in many card games on Playstation other than YuGiOh really makes me want to fire up this game. Or at least purchase and download it ASAP

18 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It is a game unlikely to be for everyone - it is oddly paced, strangely told, and really quite bafflingly written at time...
... but it is whimsically winning, visually interesting, mechanically simple... and curiously compelling. I suspect I will be playing more games in the series - and that more than anything else, probably makes for an endorsement of this strange little game!

It really sounds like NieR honestly. In terms of RPG-ness, it's awfully simple, but once you dive into it, it really is compelling to the max. There's a reason me and @rjkclarke go fanboy mode over Yoko Taro's work ?

Now--haven't done this in a while. I would like to request one game (that I hope it wasn't requested) - Unravel

Somehow I haven't noticed that you did that game before :D ALSO!!! no preference towards priority, you can review it in whatever batch you desire!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Maybe this is really genre I just need to blindly jump into, you make it sound so fun. Especially if I could play as Smith and pretend I'm Dudley Moore in the movie Arthur's titular role1f601.png

Well - I did, with Slay the Spire... and it was the best gaming decision I've made in a good long time!

I'd probably still recommend Slay the Spire as the best starting point with the genre - it's very "pure" as Deck Builders go, so lets you get to grips with the genre, without compounding other eccentricities onto of it. It's a bit like Rogue-likes - I'd say Dead Cells is the better game, but would probably recommend a neophyte start with Rogue Legacy, as it's the better example. It's not quite as complicated, and lets someone really see the genre in its most "uncut" form, and see how it works...then move on to the games that layer additional genres on top of it.

Plus if not for Supergiant, Klei would be the GoaT. Speaking of which, when am I gonna get to Pyre?? Too many games, man...

WORD!

Yooo from first seeing anything about this game it's had me like "okay, okay!" and this has not changed things in the slightest. Might have to make room for this one, as you are basically confirming all I've suspected. A little dull repetition towards the end... eh, that's okay! A lot of good games fall prey to that. If that's the least of my worries, count me in!

Absolutely - I ended up playing the back half of the game is small sessions while playing other games, and it really worked as that kind of "dip-in, dip-out" game, but it's a hell of a thing to see in motion, for sure!

YAAAYYYY!!!

There's so much I felt and thought about this game that you were far better at articulating on than myself, so this was possibly my favorite part of the batch. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this one as much as you did (or at all, really). I was a pretty big fan myself1f601.png Possibly my top rec for anyone who wants to chill out with something short, but still have to think.

Absolutely - was a real pleasure this game, and an clear addition you your pool in the 2022 Backlog Gremlin Award ?

42 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Amazing reading for all the games (as usual at the end I will see how much I've spent due to your reviews xD ) However THIS is the game from the batch that caught my interest the most, both because of Yoko Taro AND the cards used, which are manly af to say the least xD 

The premise also sounds good and the fact that I haven't dabbled in many card games on Playstation other than YuGiOh really makes me want to fire up this game. Or at least purchase and download it ASAP

It really sounds like NieR honestly. In terms of RPG-ness, it's awfully simple, but once you dive into it, it really is compelling to the max. There's a reason me and @rjkclarke go fanboy mode over Yoko Taro's work 1f601.png

That's true actually - I never really put that together, but you're right - Automata is pretty simple in terms of mechanics too - it's the tone and writing that sets it above other games there as well!

Voice of Cards is definitely a totally different style, but without a doubt, the writing is key - without that weird tone, it would be pretty generic, but with it, its odd and peculiar and quite compelling!

42 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Now--haven't done this in a while. I would like to request one game (that I hope it wasn't requested) - Unravel

Somehow I haven't noticed that you did that game before :D ALSO!!! no preference towards priority, you can review it in whatever batch you desire!

Absolutely - oddly, I had to double-take on this one, as I was sure I had done it already... but you're right! I think I must have seen it done in someone else's checklist (yours, quite possibly!) and was like

"Done!...

....wait, that's not me..." ?

• Like 4

If I may, I'd like to put in a request for Red Dead Redemption (unless the game is ineligible because of the statute of limitations - you started it 12 years ago and finished it 9 years ago!). I was looking at your list to see whether you've played RDR2, but only found the first game, so now I am curious whether RDR put you off, or there are other reasons why you've not (yet?) tackled RDR2 ? Also, I know next to nothing about the first game, but I'm enjoying the second part, so a scientific analysis of the original game would surely be a good read ? This is definitely not a priority request, btw, just whenever you feel like it. 

• Like 4

On 08/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

RDR2…….big open world shooting games in recent years

RDR2 is to other open world shooters as the taster menu at Geranium is to a Rustlers microwave beef burger. 

It’s such a masterpiece. You mustn’t pass over RDR2, although you might want to avoid the utterly awful trophy list! 

I’d also like to put in a request or two. You and I were talking about awful games and Albedo, Eyes from outer space came up. I’d like to read your review of that monstrosity and maybe some of the other short plats you have like Full Throttle remastered.

finally, I want to make a really odd request, not for a review but for you to complete one of your unfinished games. You have one trophy left on Skyrim and it’s the one for getting all daedric artefacts. This trophy is a bunch of fun as there are some really quirky quests that you need to complete to get those artefacts so I’d like to challenge you to plat Skyrim!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

RDR2 is to other open world shooters as the taster menu at Geranium is to a Rustlers microwave beef burger. 

It’s such a masterpiece. You mustn’t pass over RDR2, although you might want to avoid the utterly awful trophy list! 

I’d also like to put in a request or two. You and I were talking about awful games and Albedo, Eyes from outer space came up. I’d like to read your review of that monstrosity and maybe some of the other short plats you have like Full Throttle remastered.

I will get to them, but if you like, I can add Albedo to the Priority Rankings with your name?

8 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

finally, I want to make a really odd request, not for a review but for you to complete one of your unfinished games. You have one trophy left on Skyrim and it’s the one for getting all daedric artefacts. This trophy is a bunch of fun as there are some really quirky quests that you need to complete to get those artefacts so I’d like to challenge you to plat Skyrim!

Ha- way ahead of you!

Skyrim is actually on the rankings already - I did miss the Daedric Artifacts trophy on PS4... but I have the full S-Rank on PS3, so I reviewed that one... with the caveat that anyone playing it should do so on PS4, because otherwise, the game chugs like it's got a banana in it's tailpipe.... ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the look on Rollerdrome! I saw one of the animated cutscenes for this game, and I swear it looks to be the same studio that works on Rainbow Six Siege of all things! ? Small world, I guess!
And you gotta love that cel-shaded look. That sort of aesthetic reminds me of Jet Set Radio, which falls in line with stuff like the Tony Hawk games!

On 04/10/2022 at 9:57 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The menus are simple and functional, yet artistically designed with the eye of a graphic artics. The intro sequences are stylish as hell, and work great.
The story beats, when they come, allow the player to walk around the "green room" holding areas or certain places (a train for example) as during Kara's down-time, and explore some elements of the world-building of the society

It's kinda funny actually, when reading this entire section I could only think of Persona 5! ? From the pizazz of it's menus, to the intro of each battle being signaled with bombastic music, or heck, even the game's introduction itself. Then there's the similar downtime of exploring the local city after each venture through the Metaverse. Interesting how even though these games are completely different and convey these sorts of ideas with different intentions, we can correlate these things to other experiences. It's awesome how all this stuff comes together in games.

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:43 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on this one. I enjoyed it overall but at the same time it wasn't a game that compelled me to go for the Platinum and I always debated whether I got my (personal opinion) money's worth from it. Never bought the sequel as a result.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

it becomes clear that Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider most comfortably belongs in a similar category of commercial product to releases like Infamous: First Light or Superhot: Mind Control Delete - stand-alone DLC content - than with the original two games that were its progenitors.

Well, you mentioned it, so I will put in a request for Superhot: Mind Control Delete. I have platinumed this game, and I overall liked it a bit less than the original, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this game and if procedural generation really works with Superhot.

Also, just because I'm curious and it isn't required for the platinum, did you ever beat Node 100 or did you decide to leave that particular challenge alone?

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 1:58 AM, grayhammmer said:

Well, you mentioned it, so I will put in a request for Superhot: Mind Control Delete. I have platinumed this game, and I overall liked it a bit less than the original, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this game and if procedural generation really works with Superhot.

Also, just because I'm curious and it isn't required for the platinum, did you ever beat Node 100 or did you decide to leave that particular challenge alone?

Flagged with your name for Priority Ranking ?

Can't actually remember about Node 100 stuff - I do remember playing that one a bit post-platinum, but will need to see my save when I do a refresher-play to see if I ever did!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1