Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

7 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Yeah, thanks for the info, I'm starting to lean more towards this isn't a big deal after all.  I couldn't find live chat and I just got hung up on with the 800 number, so I think I'm just going to count myself fortunate that it fixed itself and hope the same happens to the rest of us on here.  Maybe someday we'll know what it was, but most likely not.

I would still urge you and anyone to contact them, the more reports the more chance of something happening. One of your PS3s was banned for a week? That could suggest it was previously banned and that's why it was a longer ban. The next ban could be permanent.  When i hear from Sony, if they say i was hacking i will not let it slide. 

17 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

So they essentially told you your account wasn't hacked or anything?

Yea, he said my account is fine. I haven't attempted to sign in on my main account on the PS3 that was banned though, not sure i want to. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Yeah, thanks for the info, I'm starting to lean more towards this isn't a big deal after all.  

Starting?  I felt that way after the first post (and every post since).  

Just another in a long line of cautionary tales about disinformation on the internet and how quickly it can spread.  That the OP’s original issue was linked to some two-month old click-bait YouTube about a data breach and then it rolled on from there.

Sort of comical but not productive…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I would still urge you and anyone to contact them, the more reports the more chance of something happening. One of your PS3s was banned for a week? That could suggest it was previously banned and that's why it was a longer ban. The next ban could be permanent.  When i hear from Sony, if they say i was hacking i will not let it slide. 

I agree on that mate, but I've been trying all morning to get Live Chat in USA to no avail.  The link you sent was for UK so it kicks me straight out, and the 800 number just bounces me after 10 minutes or so.  Since I'm now looking at fighting with them about 2 consoles that work fine, it's hard to think that a CSR rep is going to send this one up the ladder, if you know what I mean.

Plus, for the 277 posts to date in here, I think it's just me and you that are actively working on this.  Everyone else either reported banned/unbanned and left it at that, or has something more general to say.  I think I'm just going to get back to work and see if I can get some PS3 stuff done tonight.  Thanks for your help and I hope this gets resolved soon!

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

I appreciate your opinion, but please do not be dismissive of this.  I had 2 consoles banned in 6 days man, it certainly was a big deal to me!  If it's not a problem for you, why are you posting at all?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Just another in a long line of cautionary tales about disinformation on the internet and how quickly it can spread.  That the OP’s original issue was linked to some two-month old click-bait YouTube about a data breach and then it rolled on from there.

That is the PSNP way.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

What are you talking about? Multiple people have reported that their consoles showed as banned. 2 people tested 63 consoles and 11 showed as banned. Don't say there is no issue just because you aren't affected.... 

22 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I agree on that mate, but I've been trying all morning to get Live Chat in USA to no avail.  

Try this. http://support.playstation.com/chat

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Thanks!  There are 128 customers ahead of me...

Damn. So they will ask you for your consoles serial number. And if you want info on your account then the serial number of your first PS3 or details of the last purchase you made. 

Edited by GUDGER666

14 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I am saying it is unrelated to a major data breach that was posted as a fact in the TITLE of the whole thread - and others blindly accepted it as a truth as the thread derailed out of control.

I think we are largely agreeing that the scope of this has been blown way out of proportion from the get-go with “millions possibly all consoles leaked”.  Based on what exactly?  The equivalent of yelling FIRE in a crowded theater if you see someone light up a cigarette.  Reckless behavior.

This is Fear Mongering 101 without one iota of proof that there is any relation to a data breach where millions possibly all consoles were leaked.  If it had been titled without something speculative portrayed as fact, then the thread would have been more meaningful IMO.  As it was, it simply provoked the doomsday types to pile on with conspiracy theories.

So, I am not arguing that PS3 consoles can be hacked or does not have security issues.  But I am questioning the scope of it and the correlation to a click-bait You Tube and portraying it as truth.

The consoles get temporary banned, so for roughly 20% of consoles tested to have show as banned is a large number. Kind of strange that a week after i hear about this i get banned... Report on it and find many consoles to also show as a banned... No?  If you were affected i bet your attitude would drastically change. But because you aren't its all conspiracy theories. You belong on Reddit. Anyway, lets just leave at that so this thread doesn't get locked. 

6 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Yeah, I just went through it, I could copy the transcript here but it boils down to I'll have to get the SN's off my consoles and try again tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, appreciate it. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

The consoles get temporary banned, so for roughly 20% of consoles tested to have show as banned is a large number. Kind of strange that a week after i hear about this i get banned... Report on it and find many consoles to also show as a banned... No?  If you were affected i bet your attitude would drastically change. But because you aren't its all lies and conspiracy theories. You belong on Reddit. 

It is not anywhere near 20% from what I’ve seen and even if it was 10% reported here (highly unlikely), there is a huge reporting bias as those affected are much more likely to post than those who are not.  Mine were not impacted but I did not feel the need to add a post saying as much, and I am sure hundreds of others are the same.

Also, many of those PS3’s have not been booted up may have been banned many months ago.  Not necessarily a recency thing.

Again, I am not saying there is not an issue.  I am saying the scope of it is being misconstrued and it is not what the original clickbait title of “millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked”.  That is yellow journalism at its finest.

Had you not posted that as a fact in the title, then I would be more sympathetic.  I believe you and a few others are having issues which sucks.  The link that to sketchy YouTube video does not pass the smell test though.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3

Checked my two Slims over the weekend and both were good. One of them was already updated because I use it very frequently. The other had to be updated to 4.88 but both consoles were fine.

Both consoles were bought brand new around a decade ago and both are from the America region.

Really sad to hear this is going on. At first, I thought it was kind of an isolated incident. But after seeing a number of users post here about some of their consoles being shown as banned, this has now led me to believe that there's a reasonable level of threat coming from this. I'm not sure for how long this leak has been going on or the complete extent of it. I originally had the impression that a good chunk of those console IDs were already in the public and some unscrupulous homebrew users were making use of them to get their consoles unbanned, but it seems it's kind of getting out of control lately.

I really hope Sony finds out a way to just not hand out bans left and right without a solid motive because having innocent consoles banned just plain sucks. =/

• Like 1

Good to see this calmed down a bit since yesterday, hopefully I won't be starting another storm today.  My console was re-banned last night when I got home, so I'm just waiting for Sony's chat to open up this morning to get to the bottom of this again.

In the meantime, I keep writing long posts and deleting them because they're too wordy and mostly about the same off topic stuff I've been begging everyone to quit talking about.  I think the only thing that needs to be said is that whoever used the phrase "yellow journalism" to refer to this thread needs to go get a dictionary.  This thread has nothing to do with journalism, nor are anyone posting in it journalists.  This is a forum on a private website, and as I've said a few times now, we're only trying to get to the bottom of it and find a solution.  It may be nothing, but at least we're asking instead of pronouncing our opinion from on high when an easier alternative would have been to pronounce nothing and keep scrolling.  I think that's short enough: I'll update once I'm done with Sony today.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Good to see this calmed down a bit since yesterday, hopefully I won't be starting another storm today.  My console was re-banned last night when I got home, so I'm just waiting for Sony's chat to open up this morning to get to the bottom of this again.

In the meantime, I keep writing long posts and deleting them because they're too wordy and mostly about the same off topic stuff I've been begging everyone to quit talking about.  I think the only thing that needs to be said is that whoever used the phrase "yellow journalism" to refer to this thread needs to go get a dictionary.  This thread has nothing to do with journalism, nor are anyone posting in it journalists.  This is a forum on a private website, and as I've said a few times now, we're only trying to get to the bottom of it and find a solution.  It may be nothing, but at least we're asking instead of pronouncing our opinion from on high when an easier alternative would have been to pronounce nothing and keep scrolling.  I think that's short enough: I'll update once I'm done with Sony today.

Yea for me this got way too much. I received some right abuse in messages especially on Reddit. Apparently all the people reporting they are banned are me using multiple accounts. I've been called a liar, ring leader, hacker, conspiracy theorist, troll, Sony hater, and words I won't put on here. As soon as i get a reply from Sony i will post on here what they say and be keeping myself to myself for a while. 

Yeah, I saw that too.  Thanks for taking the hit for the community on this one, mate.  Anyone who reads the thread knows you're just trying to figure it out too and maybe help some other members of the community who have the same problem, like me.  There are a few in here who do appreciate it, though.

Edited by FeelTheCosmos
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Apparently all the people reporting they are banned are me using multiple accounts.

I was hoping to start seeing some patterns emerge in the data and that's one I suspected from the beginning. I'm curious to hear from Sony security on what is triggering the bans.

I'm skeptical it can be so over-simplified as multiple accounts = bans as this thread would have seen a lot more accounts receiving bans. The data just doesn't pan out on that hypothesis.

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I was hoping to start seeing some patterns emerge in the data and that's one I suspected from the beginning. I'm curious to hear from Sony security on what is triggering the bans.

I'm skeptical it can be so over-simplified as multiple accounts = bans as this thread would have seen a lot more accounts receiving bans. The data just doesn't pan out on that hypothesis.

No, people are saying the people on Reddit and here are me using alt accounts and making false claims. 

Ok, just finished an unproductive chat with Sony and I'm pretty well defeated.  I've never done Imgur before so let me know if this isn't working:

https://imgur.com/a/QGqEYnQ

Anyway, they told me absolutely nothing helpful related to my issue specifically.  Even though I don't care much about data breaches and global issues, I made sure to ask Daniel about this so you could all see their response, which is "I'm not allowed to disclose that information."  Make of it what you will, I think I did my part and I won't be visiting this thread again after tomorrow.  I have 19 PS3 games left on this speed run, so I guess I'll just try to get them done and hope the ban hammer doesn't fall at an unfortunate time.  Once that's done, I'll probably shut down both of them for good, so y'all can keep the dang CID's.  Jeez :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Ok, just finished an unproductive chat with Sony and I'm pretty well defeated.  I've never done Imgur before so let me know if this isn't working:

https://imgur.com/a/QGqEYnQ

Anyway, they told me absolutely nothing helpful related to my issue specifically.  Even though I don't care much about data breaches and global issues, I made sure to ask Daniel about this so you could all see their response, which is "I'm not allowed to disclose that information."  Make of it what you will, I think I did my part and I won't be visiting this thread again after tomorrow.  I have 19 PS3 games left on this speed run, so I guess I'll just try to get them done and hope the ban hammer doesn't fall at an unfortunate time.  Once that's done, I'll probably shut down both of them for good, so y'all can keep the dang CID's.  Jeez :)

Wow, that is horrendous. How did he know what the ban was when you didn't even give the console serial numbers. Sounds fishy to me, its like they know something is up and are trying to hide it. Well thanks for trying. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the impression that I got as well, it was kind of like "Hey, why worry about it when it's going to be gone in 2 days anyway, right?" And you know, I kind of agree with him.  If my job wasn't so boring would have quit worrying about it Monday morning.  Anyway, thanks for your help and I hope your account gets unlocked.  Don't worry about the haters and whatnot, everyone will forget this by Thursday anyway.

3 hours ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I think the only thing that needs to be said is that whoever used the phrase "yellow journalism" to refer to this thread needs to go get a dictionary.  This thread has nothing to do with journalism, nor are anyone posting in it journalists.  This is a forum on a private website, and as I've said a few times now, we're only trying to get to the bottom of it and find a solution.  It may be nothing, but at least we're asking instead of pronouncing our opinion from on high when an easier alternative would have been to pronounce nothing and keep scrolling.  I think that's short enough: I'll update once I'm done with Sony today.

The yellow journalism simply refers to the sensationalistic nature of the title that claims that millions and perhaps all PS3 console IDs were leaked!  Passing it off as a truth.  It was an eye catching, exaggerated headline without any evidence to claim such a fact.  

The click bait component worked in that it scared everyone into thinking a recent massive leak impacting millions or all users actually happened.  Therefore, nearly 300 responded so kudos I guess, it worked.

If the title simply added the word “possible” or at least was posed as a question, it would have been much better received (and not seen as click bait).  I am honestly surprised a moderator did not edit the title yet.

As it was, the sensationalistic headline was believed turned the thread into the usual “Sony is screwing us” line of thinking.

No one is saying there isn’t an issue with isolated PS3’s, just don’t make a claim that millions (possibly all) PS3 console IDs were leaked and attempt to pass it off as fact.  Disingenuous and reckless.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1