Xbox One Challenges/Achievements

d3m0nd00d

I absolutely love what Xbox did with the addition of the game challenges. (Hoping sony follows by this example) For those of you that are reading this post and don't know what I'm talking about Xbox has different challenges per game that give you either ingame stuff or artwork and such. If I remember right most of the games have a 5 or 15 day reset for a new challenge. Here is a link to the current 'Dead Rising 3' challenges to give you an idea. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=558840

I was just wondering what everyone else that has an Xbox One thinks of these challenges. I'm hoping to complete the 'Christmas Slay' challenge so I can get the Reindeer Mask - fun times.  :rolleyes:

Are these challenges available for all games or is it only if the developer wants to include them? Either way it is pretty awesome and something that Sony should and could implement as well. I always appreciated games that gave rewards for getting specific trophies and this is pretty much the same concept so I'd be all for this making its way to the PlayStation. 

Parker

2333994389_c3fffd8d_29c2_4014_ac02_eba18

Wow - thank you for your very informative statement on the question I presented to the gaming public. I am hoping the next person posting could maybe elaborate on your statement and actually present some ideas that we can ponder and move on with this thread. 

Are these challenges available for all games or is it only if the developer wants to include them? Either way it is pretty awesome and something that Sony should and could implement as well. I always appreciated games that gave rewards for getting specific trophies and this is pretty much the same concept so I'd be all for this making its way to the PlayStation. 

Parker

As far as I noticed it for all games. My daughters and wife play a Dance game that has one challenge for a 5 star rating on 6 dances I think and it is dated for 365 days.

• Like 3

Wow - thank you for your very informative statement on the question I presented to the gaming public. I am hoping the next person posting could maybe elaborate on your statement and actually present some ideas that we can ponder and move on with this thread. 

As far as I noticed it for all games. My daughters and wife play a Dance game that has one challenge for a 5 star rating on 6 dances I think and it is dated for 365 days.

You're welcome ;)

Personally I preferred back when developers put the extra effort to putting stuff like artwork and unlockables content in their game to be unlocked as extras in the first place not cut out to be used for some kind of timed event or worse as paid DLC.

Also how is artwork a reward "oh look a still image of the game  I am currently playing that I could easily just look at on Google"

This is a dumb idea because as mentioned developers should be using the more powerful new system to mak their games bigger not cutting stuff out

Also how is artwork a reward "oh look a still image of the game  I am currently playing that I could easily just look at on Google"

This is a dumb idea because as mentioned developers should be using the more powerful new system to mak their games bigger not cutting stuff out

True - but I can look up all the trophy images also. The reward is in the fact that you earned it.

Nobody ever said that they were giving cut content as a reward.

True - but I can look up all the trophy images also. The reward is in the fact that you earned it.

Nobody ever said that they were giving cut content as a reward.

But if you are going to do time challenges with rewards make it something worth winning. MS points, a voucher to download the soundtrack etc.

Now developers have to waste time and resources making these rewards intead of jus making there game better.    

But if you are going to do time challenges with rewards make it something worth winning. MS points, a voucher to download the soundtrack etc.

Now developers have to waste time and resources making these rewards intead of jus making there game better.

Your statement reminds me of the playstation reward program that never came to be. Everyone complained that the rewards were not good enough - I am happy just getting a reward.

As far as wasting resources that would be up to the developer to decide if it is a waste of time or not. I would think with the chance of selling a couple more games sooner than later would appeal to the game companies.

These are just my opinions though.

So the negativity in here is pretty high. I looked at the challenges and getting in game rewards like masks caters to casual and pro gamers alike. Unlocking concept art isnt a waste as people buy books filled with the stuff. And its not wasting the developers time because it was there before the game was. I like this idea personally and i also didnt mind the xbox rewards for your avatar as well.

• Like 1

Your statement reminds me of the playstation reward program that never came to be. Everyone complained that the rewards were not good enough - I am happy just getting a reward.

As far as wasting resources that would be up to the developer to decide if it is a waste of time or not. I would think with the chance of selling a couple more games sooner than later would appeal to the game companies.

These are just my opinions though.

My major issue really more than any thing is the fact it's a timed thing. I know it is a petty thing to get hung over on such small unlockables but the option to do  the past challenges not being there permanently just feels to me like a punishment if I can't afford to get a game a launch or don't have the time to play a lot. And then it will only become worse if you own many games and they're all coming up with new challenges every couple of weeks that you'll need to keep up with.

It's actually a really cool idea adding small amounts of unlockable content to add replayability (And I think a preferably solution than a lot of the paid DLC packs that we get milked with nowadays) but unless they became a permanent fixture rather than a temporary event it just isn't for me.

I like the idea and sod it if I get slaughted but I actually preferred the whole Xbox Achievements over Trophies and I may be wrong but didn't Trophies come after Achievements and mandatory from the get go? It kind of annoys me that the first AC Game has them on xbox and not PS being a fan of the franchise. Come to think of it I at one point liked there Dashboard and the whole custom Avatar over the XMB and the whole PSHome thing and I signed up to a Live Account just so I could have a play when deciding to go 360 or PS3. I like the whole idea of say earning a shirt or an AC costume for the guy on my dash. No idea if the new systems have the same thing or anything similar but I see it as being a great little quirky thing. Nothing wrong with it and personally If it wasn't for the blatant bad decisions I would still be considering an Xbox just as much as a PS4. Yet to buy but its little extras like this that make my gaming more fun. Just another way of showing I have earned something whilst doing what I enjoy. However I do agree with what Jon-Patrick-S pointed out. Having the console Day One is prime example of they crappy way to do it like multiplayer trophies to me. Hate them. I think there should be an option to show or hide them pending on if you ownd or played it etc and if you was online or offline or at least make them avalible to be earned offline for those of us that dont venture out or enjoy the crap that comes with being online  :lol:

Edited by allsop1986

I like the idea and sod it if I get slaughted but I actually preferred the whole Xbox Achievements over Trophies and I may be wrong but didn't Trophies come after Achievements and mandatory from the get go? 

Xbox Achievements did come before PS3 trophies. Hence why Assassins Creed has an achievements list and not a trophy list.

isn't we supposed to unlock stuff like those by our hard works since back in the ps1 ps2 or even older generation games?

like finish the game on harder difficulty or get a 100% finish or something, until they killed it for the sake of DLC.

this is not supposed to be something so new, it's like a daily or monthly challenge.. subway surfers on tablets are doing. or on ps3 something like LBP2 is kinda doing it, also GT5 with the sessional races is doing it and the prizes are paints, cars ( mostly standard ), driver gears etc. Uncharted 1 and 2 have this medal system which gives you in-game money to buy art works / bloopers pics for ND staff doing silly stuff  / cheats / costumes, the last of us have also something similar.

i think rayman legend is also have something like that called daily challenge or something, so.... you don't really need a super powerful gaming console to have something like that and calls it new as you can do this with every game and a gaming console that have an access to the internet so it can be updated daily or monthly, sound fun? um.. yes! kinda but, i am sticking to trophies which is enough to me, the time will come when they do a challenge in a game telling you to kill 10,000,000 player online in a ranked match just to get a new color for your weapon  :awesome:

I absolutely love what Xbox did with the addition of the game challenges. (Hoping sony follows by this example) For those of you that are reading this post and don't know what I'm talking about Xbox has different challenges per game that give you either ingame stuff or artwork and such. If I remember right most of the games have a 5 or 15 day reset for a new challenge. Here is a link to the current 'Dead Rising 3' challenges to give you an idea. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=558840

I was just wondering what everyone else that has an Xbox One thinks of these challenges. I'm hoping to complete the 'Christmas Slay' challenge so I can get the Reindeer Mask - fun times.  :rolleyes:

I like the concept, though I'm not sure of the implementation.

If these achievements count towards the game's overall Gamerscore and they're a one-time deal, it places pressure on us to buy the games at release to achieve the full set, so there's a strong financial incentive for publishers to create Challenges.

MS isn't beholden to one overarching 100% achievement, so even if it does impact Gamerscore, it's no big deal unless you're a completionist. But if Sony did a similar thing and time-limited, event-based trophies counted towards a Platinum, or a sub-set of trophies counted towards 100%, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and would be less likely to buy the game.

Long story short - tying event-based achievements to in-game rewards is a great idea (it's been done for years in MMOs like Guild Wars with pets, costumes and titles, so it's nothing new), as long as it doesn't affect the game's core achievement / trophy list.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Because one or two games set the standard for all future games.... 

johnny-derp.jpg

Edited by Leo_Ascendent