Low Platinum population

Hello,

I've noticed that this game has 0.15% - 0.50% players who have platinumed the game across platforms (Vita, PS3, PS4).

Why do you guys think that is? Is it the online? The grinding? I hear it's about 10-15 hours of grinding to get to Lv. 100, so that shouldn't be the issue, there's a lot of longer games that have higher platinum percentage.

Are some trophies glitched? :S

Because the game has been on PS+ and also has been given for free without any requirement for PS+. It is also a game focusing on the DC Universe and a lot of the people playing it likely only played it for the story because it ties into a comic book that was written about the story of the game. The game doesn't have a difficulty that truly reflects the rarity, it is simply one of those games that would likely have a more casual fan base that played it compared to other fighting games on the market, due to it having a huge emphasis on a comic book franchise.

There are 2 mains reasons behind this.

The first being it's time on PS+, you'll find quite a lot of fairly quick and easy trophies in there that are either ultra rare or verging on it. It was also at a time period where I felt PS+ games had a fairly high play-rate among the general population but people didn't stick much to them (somewhat early gen) and a few games of that era have quite drastically different avg completion rates.

The second reason being grind, I've done the level 100 grind and whilst there may be faster techniques found since then it was very much a grind. Theoretically you could AFK the grind and I reckon some people having done so with turbo controllers/macros and the like but I (and probably most) don't have that kind of setup and would need to manually do all that monotonous grind.

This doesn't apply to all fighting games, but, generally I find most fighting games are more grind than skill oriented which sometimes makes their rarities intimidating and misleading (which in turn makes them rarer as less people even think of trying). 

People tend to think of fighting games as a 'hardcore' genre so when they see one with an ultra rare (esp. sub 1%) platinum they assume 'ah, that must be very hard' but 9 times out of 10 it's just grind.

What makes the grinds less likely for people to go for is it's usually spread across modes and characters etc. whilst most fighting game players adopt a main you'd be expected to do things like... play 24 hours with each of 28 characters ? (MK lol) or a title/badge system that expects you to do a lot of things generally with every character.

• Like 3

Level 100 actually requires more than 50 million,  you could theoretically earn 2,750,000 exp per exp x5 cards if you quit shortly after getting  the experience of the last Lex/Flash/Batman/Superman battle and do this until the card expires, of course, that means renouncing the Hoarder trophy, so you’ll have to delete your save file after getting all other trophies  and start again until you reach level 68 at around 2 millions.

There’s some strange vs battles conditions you can boost online, or alone with two controllers, you require 100 online wins, 10 of them have to be ranked, 200 total battles, and king of the hill, which basically forces you to boost, since the mode is dead.

If you get the  level 100 trophy and online stuff, you’ll basicall have only miscellaneous trophies, Star Labs (10 missions for each 24 characters) and the battle mode, which has two stages where the A.I. cheats and reads your inputs, to this day, I was only able to complete it with Grundy and Batman.

Of course, if you have a turbo controller, you could quicken the level 100 grind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

My honest opinion: This game is a piece of garbage AND it takes 50+ hours to plat. This is not a combination that results in high rarity percentages. Given that it was on PS+ AND was given for free a couple of months ago even without PS+ (that's how I got tricked into playing it), it has a lot of players, but the game being this terrible probably turns a lot of people away from completing the trophy list. 

In my case, this was the first fighter I ever played. But I found the game so incredibly bad that I will probably never pick up another fighting game again. 

P.S. Btw. the lv. 100 grind is really not that time consuming. You can get a x15 multiplier (online wins against a friend + card from the archives). With it, it "only" took about 10-12 hours of R1-mashing to get from level 65 to 100. 

you didnt use a turbo controller lol

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

My honest opinion: This game is a piece of garbage AND it takes 50+ hours to plat. This is not a combination that results in high rarity percentages. Given that it was on PS+ AND was given for free a couple of months ago even without PS+ (that's how I got tricked into playing it), it has a lot of players, but the game being this terrible probably turns a lot of people away from completing the trophy list. 

In my case, this was the first fighter I ever played. But I found the game so incredibly bad that I will probably never pick up another fighting game again. 

P.S. Btw. the lv. 100 grind is really not that time consuming. You can get a x15 multiplier (online wins against a friend + card from the archives). With it, it "only" took about 10-12 hours of R1-mashing to get from level 65 to 100. 

As someone who also has very limited experience with fighting games, I’m curious what you didn’t like so much about this one. NetherRealm is a pretty respected developer in the fighting game scene. Do you think it’s this game specifically you didn’t like or fighting games in general? You have an impressive list and I’ve considered trying a few fighting games at some point myself so I’m curious to hear your thoughts.