Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

Hey there! Just stumbled upon your thread, and I've loved reading some of your thoughts! I hope you can forgive me bringing up games you talked about a year ago, but I love hearing other people's thoughts on my favorite games.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Then there are the cities themselves. I've never been to Miami, so I can't speak to how well VC captures it. I can, however, attest that SA completely nails the feel of both 90s Los Angeles and Las Vegas, and now that I've been to San Francisco, I can happily report that they did a pretty solid job there as well!

GTA: San Andreas is my all-time favorite game. I loved your whole write-up, but this part especially jumped out at me. I was a teenager when San Andreas came out, and I'd never been to California, so I had no idea what it was like outside of what I saw in movies and TV. But driving around Los Santos made me feel like I knew what LA was. When I was in high school I dreamed of moving to LA after I graduated, and I think San Andreas is the reason for that, so I'm glad to hear they captured the vibe.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, YaManSmevz said:

The first thing that impressed me was Los Santos itself - it's staggering in both size and intricacy. I've put at least a hundred hours into this game, and I still find new billboards, buildings, paths, etcetera. Even more than that though, Rockstar nailed its portrayal of Los Angeles and its outskirt areas, it absolutely blew me away. There's just so much that I recognize in Los Santos from its real life inspiration that makes it all the more of a joy to idly drive through and look around. And this high powered engine pulses life into the city, with NPCs all over the place going about their day and doing their own thing. It's no Hitman 3, but for 2013 this was pretty impressive. Like its older Los Santos based sibling, the game came out at the end of its gaming generation and pushed its console to the absolute limit.

GTA V is another top 5 game for me, and once again, I think the setting is another big reason. Funny enough, I still hadn't been to California when I played this one, so I still had to assume that the game accurately captured what it was like. In a way, my mental image of LA was just Los Santos, so I loved driving around for hours in this game. I loved how big and lived-in the world felt and I found myself stopping to admire the scenery or eavesdrop on NPCs constantly.

The first time I finally went to California was a few years after I finished this game, and when my friends and I stepped out of LAX to get an Uber, my first thought was, "This looks like a GTA mission". Totally ridiculous, of course, but I guess I'll always associate California with GTA.

On 2/4/2022 at 0:20 PM, YaManSmevz said:

S - Sapienza, Berlin, Miami, Mendoza, Dubai, Paris

A - Dartmoor, Bangkok, Santa Fortuna, Chongqing, Mumbai, Haven Island, New York, Hokkaido, Marrakesh, Isle of Sgàil

B - Whittleton Creek, Colorado, Hawke's Bay, ICA Facility, Carpathian Mountains

I didn't start Hitman 1 until Hitman 3 was already out, so getting to play the entire trilogy at once was a blessing that a lot of early adopters of the series would've missed out on. It quickly became another all-time favorite, and I think getting to binge the series probably helped that. Either way, the varied settings are a huge part of why I love the game, too. Your tiers are pretty close to mine, with just a couple changes.

S - Sapienza, Berlin, Miami, Mendoza, Dubai, Paris, Dartmoor

A - Bangkok, Chongqing, Mumbai, Haven Island, New York, Hokkaido, Marrakesh, Isle of Sgàil, Whittleton Creek, Hawke's Bay, Ambrose Island

B - Santa Fortuna, Colorado, ICA Facility, Carpathian Mountains

Edited by Blood_Hungry_III
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Blood_Hungry_III said:

Hey there! Just stumbled upon your thread, and I've loved reading some of your thoughts! I hope you can forgive me bringing up games you talked about a year ago, but I love hearing other people's thoughts on my favorite games.

Ayyy what's up! Thank you so much for stopping by?

GTA: San Andreas is my all-time favorite game. I loved your whole write-up, but this part especially jumped out at me. I was a teenager when San Andreas came out, and I'd never been to California, so I had no idea what it was like outside of what I saw in movies and TV. But driving around Los Santos made me feel like I knew what LA was. When I was in high school I dreamed of moving to LA after I graduated, and I think San Andreas is the reason for that, so I'm glad to hear they captured the vibe.

Dude San Andreas is up there for me too. I was mad impressed with how well they captured the feel of Los Angeles but...

GTA V is another top 5 game for me, and once again, I think the setting is another big reason. Funny enough, I still hadn't been to California when I played this one, so I still had to assume that the game accurately captured what it was like. In a way, my mental image of LA was just Los Santos, so I loved driving around for hours in this game. I loved how big and lived-in the world felt and I found myself stopping to admire the scenery or eavesdrop on NPCs constantly.

...GTA V just takes it to another level. It's so painstakingly well done - I'm a county away and I still find myself sated by just driving around in the game rather than actually going out there?And yeah, random NPC dialogue in these games is way more interesting than it has any right to be! Hell, even GTA III has got its gems!

The first time I finally went to California was a few years after I finished this game, and when my friends and I stepped out of LAX to get an Uber, my first thought was, "This looks like a GTA mission". Totally ridiculous, of course, but I guess I'll always associate California with GTA.

I feel that?

I didn't start Hitman 1 until Hitman 3 was already out, so getting to play the entire trilogy at once was a blessing that a lot of early adopters of the series would've missed out on. It quickly became another all-time favorite, and I think getting to binge the series probably helped that. Either way, the varied settings are a huge part of why I love the game, too. Your tiers are pretty close to mine, with just a couple changes.

That's some fine taste, I must say! That trilogy is just a masterpiece, the gameplay is soo good??

S - Sapienza, Berlin, Miami, Mendoza, Dubai, Paris, Dartmoor

A - Bangkok, Chongqing, Mumbai, Haven Island, New York, Hokkaido, Marrakesh, Isle of Sgàil, Whittleton Creek, Hawke's Bay, Ambrose Island

B - Santa Fortuna, Colorado, ICA Facility, Carpathian Mountains

Damn, that is pretty close! That top 3 of Sapienza, Berlin, and Miami is just ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heather342 said:

@YaManSmevz slightly off topic, but have you been playing the new Freelancer mode in Hitman? 

Let me just add - if not, you should be, because it's fucking awesome!

I'm not sure when I'm going to feel comfortable doing a "mini-game-science" review of it - it's pretty tough (read, brutally unforgiving!), and I'm playing in little bits here and there among other things, but rest assured - it's astounding how well it is done.

It could honestly be it's own separate game - I don't know why they didn't add new trophies, because it could have supported an entire second list!

(Also - it feels somewhat redundant to do a "re-ranking" for the game that is current No.1.... but that mode pretty much elevates Hitman 3 so far into the stratosphere, I'm not sure if any game is ever going to dethrone it ?)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

...GTA V just takes it to another level. It's so painstakingly well done - I'm a county away and I still find myself sated by just driving around in the game rather than actually going out there1f604.pngAnd yeah, random NPC dialogue in these games is way more interesting than it has any right to be! Hell, even GTA III has got its gems!

I think stuff like that is why GTA is my favorite series. I just can't get enough of driving around and listening to the radio. I'm getting close to the end of my second 100% playthrough of GTA V and it's going to be an adjustment to not have a GTA game lined up to (re)play after it. I tried the Definitive Edition of San Andreas but it just isn't the same.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Let me just add - if not, you should be, because it's fucking awesome!

I'm not sure when I'm going to feel comfortable doing a "mini-game-science" review of it - it's pretty tough (read, brutally unforgiving!), and I'm playing in little bits here and there among other things, but rest assured - it's astounding how well it is done.

It could honestly be it's own separate game - I don't know why they didn't add new trophies, because it could have supported an entire second list!

(Also - it feels somewhat redundant to do a "re-ranking" for the game that is current No.1.... but that mode pretty much elevates Hitman 3 so far into the stratosphere, I'm not sure if any game is ever going to dethrone it 1f602.png)

Do you think it could be so unforgiving that it would push people away? I haven't tried it yet but it seems so different to the way I typically play the game that I'm kind of nervous to try it.

• Like 2

Just now, Blood_Hungry_III said:

Do you think it could be so unforgiving that it would push people away? I haven't tried it yet but it seems so different to the way I typically play the game that I'm kind of nervous to try it.

It's definitely one that removes all the safety nets - you can't save anywhere in the maps, and most of the random useful items are removed, meaning you pretty much go in with nothing early on. You also lose weapons that you don't bring back after the mission - not to mention that the targets and the starting areas are truly random - so sometimes, you might get someone piss easy, right at the start, and other times, it might be someone who literally never moves from a crowd, and you need to deal with that.

It's not something that should be approached until the player is super familiar with all the mechanics... but on the other hand, it's completely repeatable, and entirely separate from the main game (and has no trophies) so really, there's no downside to trying it - and for sure, if you can do well in the Freelancer mode, you will absolutely destroy the main missions!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's definitely one that removes all the safety nets - you can't save anywhere in the maps, and most of the random useful items are removed, meaning you pretty much go in with nothing early on. You also lose weapons that you don't bring back after the mission - not to mention that the targets and the starting areas are truly random - so sometimes, you might get someone piss easy, right at the start, and other times, it might be someone who literally never moves from a crowd, and you need to deal with that.

It's not something that should be approached until the player is super familiar with all the mechanics... but on the other hand, it's completely repeatable, and entirely separate from the main game (and has no trophies) so really, there's no downside to trying it - and for sure, if you can do well in the Freelancer mode, you will absolutely destroy the main missions!

That's good to know. The maps aren't altered at all are they? I maxed out every location mastery so I guess I'd have that advantage of knowing the maps pretty well.

You make a good point though- I have nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Thanks!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Blood_Hungry_III said:

That's good to know. The maps aren't altered at all are they? I maxed out every location mastery so I guess I'd have that advantage of knowing the maps pretty well.

You make a good point though- I have nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Thanks!

No, they're not changed as far as I can tell - in fact, most of the campaign mission targets are still there, doing their thing - like in a user-created contract. The only thing that's different as far as I can tell is that all the shortcuts in the H3 maps are open (the lift shaft in Dubai, for example... though I had already opened them all, so maybe that's just on my profile?) - and the fact that most random items are much scarcer. 

there are some things added, like safes in some rooms that you need to find clues to access and whatnot, but the actual geometry is not changed as far as I have noticed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, they're not changed as far as I can tell - in fact, most of the campaign mission targets are still there, doing their thing - like in a user-created contract. The only thing that's different as far as I can tell is that all the shortcuts in the H3 maps are open (the lift shaft in Dubai, for example... though I had already opened them all, so maybe that's just on my profile?) - and the fact that most random items are much scarcer. 

there are some things added, like safes in some rooms that you need to find clues to access and whatnot, but the actual geometry is not changed as far as I have noticed.

That makes sense. I appreciate the info. I think I'll have to give it a shot then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heather342 said:

@YaManSmevz slightly off topic, but have you been playing the new Freelancer mode in Hitman? 

No, but I should be - I've heard nothing but good things, and I get the sense that it's like the very first time you play a Hitman mission, walking in with no idea whatsoever. Well, except the map, obviously? It's really making me consider sliding back to my PS4!

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd read the shit out of that??

Well shit, between the two of you, I feel i have no choice but to slap that on now! I've been meaning to revisit for some time anyway... Hitman 3 is one of those games where if it had come out 10-15 years ago, when I didn't have literally hundreds of games to get to, I'd be playing it nonstop?

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

(Also - it feels somewhat redundant to do a "re-ranking" for the game that is current No.1.... but that mode pretty much elevates Hitman 3 so far into the stratosphere, I'm not sure if any game is ever going to dethrone it 1f602.png)

Yeah I wouldn't bet against it?

2 hours ago, Blood_Hungry_III said:

I think stuff like that is why GTA is my favorite series. I just can't get enough of driving around and listening to the radio. I'm getting close to the end of my second 100% playthrough of GTA V and it's going to be an adjustment to not have a GTA game lined up to (re)play after it. I tried the Definitive Edition of San Andreas but it just isn't the same.

Agreed 100%, the environments are always so alluring and feel so alive, it's just fun to be hanging out in those worlds. And that's impressive af, getting a second hundo for that game! I get what you mean about being like "but what GTA do I play now?" though. After completing GTA V I thought "NEVER AGAIN" and yet the second anybody mentions they could use a hand in GTA Online I trip over myself to sign up?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Agreed 100%, the environments are always so alluring and feel so alive, it's just fun to be hanging out in those worlds. And that's impressive af, getting a second hundo for that game! I get what you mean about being like "but what GTA do I play now?" though. After completing GTA V I thought "NEVER AGAIN" and yet the second anybody mentions they could use a hand in GTA Online I trip over myself to sign up?

Yeah after I finished V the first time I was really craving more GTA. I'd played it on PS4 and I ended up driving to a used game store the next day to buy a PS3 so I could play IV for the third time. I actually had the game in hand and was waiting in line for the employee to help another customer before me but I ended up talking myself out of getting the PS3. I ended up driving home and buying SA on PS4 and jumping right into it that night.

I think when I finish V this time I just need to get into another big open world game to replace it. Either that or I'll put some hours into Freelancer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great one man - I go nothing to add really, cause GoW2 is, indeed an awesome one!

...just one thing I gotta say though:

I think this...

8 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

"So you take a jerk and make him into a god, then you're surprised to see him still acting like a jerk."

...is both completely appropriate...

...and also, totally feel like a line older Kratos from the Norse games would say himself, when describing his own past to Mimir or to Atreus! ?

• Like 4

Great write up! I remember loving this game when it came out and I agree that it was even better than the first.

I especially love this call out:

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

- Gameplay aspect that I forgot to give props to? Smoother platforming with WIDER PLANKS. I was SO appreciative of that!

The Path of Hades in GoW1 was my earliest memory of getting frustrated with a game to the point of wanting to give up on it forever. I like platformers, but that isn't what I play/played this series for so I agree that it was nice that they made it a bit easier in the sequel.

Edited by Blood_Hungry_III
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

That was a great one man - I go nothing to add really, cause GoW2 is, indeed an awesome one!

Thank you sir!

On 2/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

...and also, totally feel like a line older Kratos from the Norse games would say himself, when describing his own past to Mimir or to Atreus! 1f602.png

Dude I am more intrigued than ever now by the reboot! The idea of an older, wiser Kratos always sounded cool, but hot off the heels of the original trilogy even more so!

22 hours ago, Blood_Hungry_III said:

Great write up! I remember loving this game when it came out and I agree that it was even better than the first.

Thanks a lot dude! Yeahmann, I really they outdid themselves for sure!

22 hours ago, Blood_Hungry_III said:

The Path of Hades in GoW1 was my earliest memory of getting frustrated with a game to the point of wanting to give up on it forever. I like platformers, but that isn't what I play/played this series for so I agree that it was nice that they made it a bit easier in the sequel.

No lie there! When I replayed GoW1 recently I got to the underworld and was like "I don't remember it being this tricky, damn..." I may have blocked it out?

• Like 3

Nice write-up! I'm going to be replaying the older games next month, and 2 is my favourite one, so it's been nice to read your GoW reviews! I'm looking forward to revisiting Kratos the 'angry bald fanny in a loincloth' as Rob would say ?, and seeing how Christopher Judge compares to T. C. Carson ?.

Edited by Redblaziken8
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Redblaziken8 said:

Nice write-up! I'm going to be replaying the older games next month, and 2 is my favourite one, so it's been nice to read your GoW reviews!

Thank you very much, I appreciate that? And that's what's up! You're gonna have a great time, nostalgia will hit you upside the head real good. It did for me at least!

4 hours ago, Redblaziken8 said:

I'm looking forward to revisiting Kratos the 'angry bald fanny in a loincloth' as Rob would say 1f602.png, and seeing how Christopher Judge compares to T. C. Carson 1f604.png.

Yes he would! I love it???

I've heard Christopher Judge did an amazing job, but I'll vouch for T.C. all day!

...watch I play the Norse games and I'm all like "T.C. Carson?? He sucked!!"

• Like 2

I did binge the series about 6 years ago, but that was my first time playing them since I was a generic COD only on PS for a while as a teen ? (along with a lot of Nintendo stuff in the back, probably obvious with my username).

I just love that hack 'n' slash gameplay, and the massive scale in the older games that the newer ones have less of. I miss those fights where Kratos looks like a tiny speck facing massive gods, but 2018 and Ragnarök are great, and Christopher Judge is fantastic as Kratos. You're in for a treat when you play those! Both voice actors are really different and really good - it's hard to compare them I think.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I'm not even really deep into the game yet, but I'm already humming the songs to myself out of nowhere.

I have 'Dead of Night', 'Mine' and 'Inside' as permanent fixtures on my Spotify playlist ?. Occasionally stick 'Forest Ghost' on when the mood strikes, and then just remember all the fun I had on that level leaping around on the back of a stag!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, even when you have had more to update, I haven't been present enough to take the time to sit down for more thoughtful responses (though I do admittedly even sometimes lack the time to even read any new updates). Never been an excuse I've been fond of... "I just don't have the time."

Even as adults, it's not so much we don't have the time, but we're not putting priority on it. That's a more acceptable and honest response anyway -- so I can faithfully (though regretfully) admit that the limited free time I have had, has been going to other things (even touching up my archaic checklist -- but I'm not in a rush to bring to a respectable standing from its sorry state, anyway).

3. Resident Evil 4

My embarrassing admission is that I've never gotten particularly good with the shooting for this game (or 5, for that matter) so the shooting galleries have kept me at bay. But I've been getting better at tackling games I've been dodging, so this one is good for the next as any. Besides, everybody seems to be having a great time with the remake, this way I can pretend I'm a cool kid with a PS5 too!

Though I'm decently proficient with this game back when I played it as a kid from the original release, the re-release on PS4 from 2016 or so I believe had changes to bring it closer to modernity. Much like RE5, you aim with the right thumbstick. With the original release (even from what I recall on my PS2 copy) you aim and position yourself with the left stick. So even though you may feel like you aren't performing as well as you would like, at least it'll be a familiar unfamiliarity. ?

I believe the PS3 version still has it set to where you aim and shoot with the left stick; though I don't have that version to confirm.

5. Silent Hill 2

Meant to get into this last time, we'll give it another shot this month. That first playthrough is gonna be fantastic... then there's however more playthroughs I'll need after that, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there1f604.png

Here's to a solid May1f60e.png1f37b.png

Oh don't worry, I haven't gotten to this monster yet either... and I thought I would have by now.

A friend of mine is going through the PC version (which recently got fan mods to make it even better -- and now seems like the best way to experience the game) and has been giving tips for optimal strategies for the 10-Star Run. Might post them in here if requested; he's definitely an expert.

• Like 2

Dan son, you played some bangers last month!

I’ve had Valfaris in the ol’ to-play pile for a while, but any game that can beat out TotA for game of the month has to have some special sauce!

…and got Pyre coming up! ??

If that doesn’t take the monthly crown, I’ll eat my hat - wicked-awesome!

• Like 2

Ayy what's up @CelestialRequiem?

I feel as though "haven't had the time" is just shorthand for what you're saying about priorities. Perhaps I've just been fortunate, but throughout my adulthood I've never experienced anyone (including myself) responding to another person not having the time with anything other than "yeah, I get it."

Well, except work and shit like that of course!

Though I'm decently proficient with this game back when I played it as a kid from the original release, the re-release on PS4 from 2016 or so I believe had changes to bring it closer to modernity. Much like RE5, you aim with the right thumbstick. With the original release (even from what I recall on my PS2 copy) you aim and position yourself with the left stick. So even though you may feel like you aren't performing as well as you would like, at least it'll be a familiar unfamiliarity. 1f605.png

Haha dude I didn't even notice! I one-and-doned RE4 on the PS2 (I think as highly of it as the next gamer, but for whatever reason it was never an "I could play this forever" game for me) so I don't remember the controls all that well, just the laser sighting. I'm dreading the Professional playthrough because I believe the Plagas move much more quickly, and it isn't as though I'll be able to ask them to hold still for a second while I aim?

Oh don't worry, I haven't gotten to this monster yet either... and I thought I would have by now.

A friend of mine is going through the PC version (which recently got fan mods to make it even better -- and now seems like the best way to experience the game) and has been giving tips for optimal strategies for the 10-Star Run. Might post them in here if requested; he's definitely an expert.

Damn man, seems like PC gaming really is where it's at sometimes! I'm trying not to think of the 10 Star run just yet... taking the alcoholic approach of 'one day at a time.' Enjoy the game first, and then I can torture myself!

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dan son, you played some bangers last month!

I’ve had Valfaris in the ol’ to-play pile for a while, but any game that can beat out TotA for game of the month has to have some special sauce!

…and got Pyre coming up! 1f61a.png1f44c.png

If that doesn’t take the monthly crown, I’ll eat my hat - wicked-awesome!

Yoooo I think you would enjoy the fuck out of Valfaris! The 16 bit run and gun style is done so well. It looks dope, the whole metal worship of it all is fantastic (you even headbang every time you get a new weapon, I cracked up the first time), the clever risk/reward system adds a nice extra element, and it's in that sweet spot with difficulty where it's definitely challenging but rarely (if at all) frustrating.

Besides, when is it not fun to shoot, slice, and explode your way through ungodly mayhem?

Treasures was easily in second place, it's a great game (the parkour and baseball slides alone!) and I give Copa props on that one all day. Personally though, I felt like Valfaris had that wonderful quality where it just stayed on the brain, whether I was playing it or not!

You might be right about Pyre! The idea of a Supergiant NBA Jam was truly novel but hard to wrap my head around... then I start playing it and I'm like "Ooohhh!!" It's really fun so far, not that I'm surprised?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3