Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

18 hours ago, Heather342 said:

Thanks for the shout-out Smevz! 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952acnfx7l1fe4gja64n

While I've not been the most active on the forums recently, I have been lurking in the shadows and reading up on all the posts 😊. Seeing Red Dead Redemption getting so many nods in this round up I felt compelled to recommend you play Red Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 is one that I put off for so long, doing the multiplayer first and dipping in and out of it over the past 3 years, I think that was the reason I kept shelving it. But this summer I finally decided to play the single player, and I have to say all those rave reviews were accurate. The game is an absolute masterpiece, I think you'll really like it. It's a huge undertaking for the platinum (my final in game time clocked in at 302 hours), but for me it never felt like an impossible grind, and those 4 months I spent with it are some of my gaming highlights for 2023. Don't sleep on it like I did!

You know, I think I just might have to! I've wanted to for some time, but have been so intimidated by the requirements. Now... I mean I gotta just stop bein a lil wussy boy and just go for it!

Although saying that I haven't played the original before, but I'll wait for the PS4 port to drop in price a bit more first 😊

I obviously can't compare the two but I had a great time with RDR1. Maybe it'll be cooler since you'll be playing them in chronological order!

Okay, we'll make like a bad teen comedy and make a pact to finish our respective Red Dead Redemption games in 2024🤠🤠

Well, provided the port goes on sale... I think that's totally fair cuz that shit is way too expensive for what it is, but that's a convo for another time😂

Looking forward to seeing your gaming reviews for 2024!

Thank you so much Heather! I always appreciate you stopping by😎👊

17 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

too late

giphy.gif

1_late.gif

I'm just happy to be here for you, homie.

I appreciate you, my G👊

Please compare to Super Time Force Ultra when able. :kiss:

Duuuude what a dope ass double feature that would be!

Broforce is possibly even more chaotic than STFU in that the environments are destructible, if you were so inclined you could literally blow up everything to the point where you'd have nowhere to even stand, and just fall to your death. Plus the environments are super volatile, there's explosive shit EVERYWHERE. But beyond that, it's far more straight forward - there's no oddball mechanic to get used to, you just have to muscle your way through each level the old fashioned way.

I'd recommend a fun playthrough with friends (do you know anybody who owns it??) just fuckin around and getting used to all the characters and their abilities, and seeing if it's something you'd wanna tackle.

... I can safely say that there's not a single other person out there who has exhibited such grace in their ability to catch an axe with their face. I hope you remember that for many years. Takes true talent.

20230104-065332.jpg

For real tho: "2023 be like..."

I didn't want to tell you, it's kind of embarrassing, but I practiced getting hit in the face with an axe for weeks before we even started playing together. I just would've been mortified if you were like "bro, this guy can't take an axe for shit." So I'm grateful it worked out as well as it did, thank you!

We made that Co-Op our bitch. 

Yes sir! That was so much fuckin fun, dude😎😎 Even that one hideout where I finished the whole thing off in this tense, super dramatic fashion only to blow myself up🤣🤣🤣

There's only one thing I can really say: please play the sequel this year.

It is a slow burn... but so is a large log at the heart of a warm fire for a week-long camping trip.

I've been saying since 2018 that RDR2's trophy list is the 'greatest hits of bad trophy requirements,' but Husky's helpful tool, a spoiler-free missables guide, and some multiplayer boosting partners (*ahem* - mic is ready, game is installed, beers are in the fridge) will help with this.

The campaign is incredible and worth the trophy hunt.

I wholeheartedly believe that you will enjoy running in the gang at a time when Dutch, Javier, Bill and John are peers.

I believe that you'll play it eventually. Please refer back to this post for my prediction that you will have a special place in that heart of yours for Charles, Sadie, Hosea, Lenny,  John/Abigail/Jack, and Arthur. Mainly though, if I know you like I think I know you: Charles and Sadie. :highfive:

It's official, I have no choice! And I will be holding you to the offer to posse up - actually, isn't Engineer looking to play as well? That online shit may end up being a real good time!

Here's to an optimistic 2024. May it be a banger as I believe you have one coming. 👊

Thanks, homie! I am hoping🤞😬🤞

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Finally got around to commenting!

Always happy to see you round these parts, my dude!

* Your mentioning of Broforce for most addicting gameplay loop has me intrigued. I've had it in my backlog for a while and it's about damn time I checked off a game from South Africa!

Haha that's right! Well shit dude, it looks like you've no choice in the matter now...

Yeah dude, the gameplay is so fast paced and explosive, once I got the hang of things I found it suuuper addicting. Like "okay, one more level and we'll call it a nigh-.. oh wow, that was surprisingly quick! Okay, ONE MORE LEVEL and we'll call it..."

If you end up playing it and wanna go for stuff in co-op, same as with Vice, my door is open!

* I'm super happy to see Sayonara Wild Hearts take home 2 awards! Best Gameplay+Best Music is no joke! It's a 9/10 game that I probably haven't done as great of a job as voicing as super underrated to others but I remember absolutely loving it. Heck, the trophy list is also brilliant for the unorthodox ways it'll have you play.

Man, if I had an award for trophy list Sayonara would've definitely scooped that shit up! I loved being able to play through the game without even bothering with trophies, and then getting down to business after. They took such a clever route with it. And yeah, it was such a blast to play, I absolutely loved it🥰

* I know it didn't win but DAMN Mafia looks gorgeous from that shot of Best Graphics

Yo I was impressed! I wouldn't think about it all the time, but every so often I'd get a good view of the skyline or one of the bridges and it'd be like "damn, this shit is gorgeous..."

* Earning an NBA2k platinum is a genuinely incredible accomplishment. I've never had the patience nor the ability. My sports game crack is FIFA and even now I've resorted to only dabbling every other year. Huge congrats!

Thank you, man! I really appreciate that, especially comin from you, cuz you know how it is out there! I always wanted one of these things, and when I saw 23 was going for free... somethin was just like "fuck it, this is our TIME!"

I seriously doubt I'll ever go for another NBA plat... though FIFA does look interesting, maybe I'll join you in the hunt for one of those!

Looking forward to what you'll cook up in 2024!

Thank you, sir!

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

All the respect to you my man! Also Streets of Rage 2, Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy IX = Awesomeness 👍

Thanks, Kopie! I always try to not get too caught up in retro gaming, but.. I mean those games fuckin slap regardless of era😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

I didn't want to tell you, it's kind of embarrassing, but I practiced getting hit in the face with an axe for weeks before we even started playing together. I just would've been mortified if you were like "bro, this guy can't take an axe for shit." So I'm grateful it worked out as well as it did, thank you!

😂😂

Even that one hideout where I finished the whole thing off in this tense, super dramatic fashion only to blow myself up

Oh dude that was so funny. It was the Chosen Run too. So many times drifting down that river...

It's official, I have no choice! And I will be holding you to the offer to posse up - actually, isn't Engineer looking to play as well? That online shit may end up being a real good time!

I think he is but we should hogtie him just in case. See if we can lasso some others into the posse.

• Like 2

Very sick to see RDR1 and FF9 get a lot of praises here! I hear the characters from both of these games have phenomenal writing for sure. It's kinda crazy just how much content there is out there-- we can go through a years' worth of games and think we've done so much, but we always end up hearing of ones from others that we haven't even fully experienced or started yet! Really puts into perspective just how much games-- especially ones of masterpiece status-- are out there amongst the sea of gaming media. Awesome wrapup Smevz! 😎

Edit: Well damn, I finished my post and clicked submit, and whaddaya know, there's another update on the next page! 😂 CTR is always one that Des, Sabbath and I will recommend! And GoW 2018 too?! You're in for a good year!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

Have you considered that MGS might be better in the PS5 remastered collection releasing soon-ish? I haven't looked into it at all so can't comment on the quality, but if it's good, it might be a good excuse for you to take the MGS games in your backlog and kick them down the road a little. The PS5 games might even have easier trophy lists. Food for thought.

So many great games that I'm excited to see you play this year! In particular, these are all INSANELY amazing:

- Bloodborne

- CTR

- GOW 2018

- The Last of Us (consider doing the PS5 version. As much as I LOVE the MP on PS4, it is a 50hr grind if you don't fuckwidit).

- Mass Effect

- Outer Wilds

- Disco Elysium

- RDR2

- Inscryption

... so exciting!

• Like 2

For Final Fantasy XIII, be aware that the Treasure Hunter trophy is missable - and also a huge grind, since you have to have owned every weapon and accessory at some point in the game. Getting enough Gil and materials to purchase and 'evolve' all of the evolvable ones will take a while during endgame, and you'll want to follow a guide since certain weapons/accessories can only be found in areas that you cannot return to. Don't sell any weapons or accessories until endgame(and make sure to keep a save file where you didn't sell them) to be safe, even if you are tempted before then by how much gil you can get for them! You'll be doing a lot of Adaman(tor)toise farming at the end of the game anyway (for Gil and two very rare material drops), which is a great time to catch up on something like a TV show or podcast.

As much as the game is incredibly linear and the plot often varies between boring and confusing, I enjoyed the combat system! Though, I also understand why a lot of people didn't enjoy it, since it is more about preplanning your party setup and the actual combat is fairly passive compared to most FF combat systems. Sadly, it's about 10-15 hours until the game really lets you create your own party and determine which combat 'roles' you can assign them, so that's another reason a lot of people peaced out of the game before finishing it.

Finally, when you do start the game, the terminology is a bit dumb - there are fal'Cie, L'Cie, and Cie'th //facepalm. That was part of why the story was so hard for me to follow (at least in the early game), as it was a whole bunch of different [??Cie??] groups being talked about, often at the same time. Eventually, I came up with this to remember which was which:

• fal'Cie ["fall-sea"] are essentially gods, and gods think of themselves as fabulous.
  • l'Cie ["le-sea"] are people that the gods force tasks on. Since l'Cie are but mere mortals, they don't get the full fancy title/word, but they still get a special L' prefix to show their connection to the fal'Cie gods.
  • Cie'th ["sea-eth"] are monsters, aka l'Cie who failed their tasks, aka the death of a l'Cie. 
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:30 AM, Shrooba said:

Very sick to see RDR1 and FF9 get a lot of praises here! I hear the characters from both of these games have phenomenal writing for sure. It's kinda crazy just how much content there is out there-- we can go through a years' worth of games and think we've done so much, but we always end up hearing of ones from others that we haven't even fully experienced or started yet! Really puts into perspective just how much games-- especially ones of masterpiece status-- are out there amongst the sea of gaming media. Awesome wrapup Smevz! 😎

Dude, they're so good - and yup, that's why we'll never, ever be done with our backlogs😂 Thank you, sir!

On 1/1/2024 at 1:30 AM, Shrooba said:

Edit: Well damn, I finished my post and clicked submit, and whaddaya know, there's another update on the next page! 😂 CTR is always one that Des, Sabbath and I will recommend! And GoW 2018 too?! You're in for a good year!

Hah! Ain't that always the way. Thanks so much my dude, I hope '24 is good to you too! And yeahmann, I've got high hopes for CTR, really looking forward. You lunatics were crushing developer records for fun tho, I doubt I'll be able to go that far! Y'all are WAAAYY more beastly than I ever could be😄👊

On 1/1/2024 at 5:46 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Have you considered that MGS might be better in the PS5 remastered collection releasing soon-ish? I haven't looked into it at all so can't comment on the quality, but if it's good, it might be a good excuse for you to take the MGS games in your backlog and kick them down the road a little. The PS5 games might even have easier trophy lists. Food for thought.

I've thought about it, but I figure I already own the games on PS3, may as well just work with what I have. Getting a little Dad-ish with myself if you will, "whaddayamean you want a new game?? Ya got the exact same one right here, and you don't even play it!"

On 1/1/2024 at 5:46 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

So many great games that I'm excited to see you play this year! In particular, these are all INSANELY amazing:

- Bloodborne

- CTR

- GOW 2018

- The Last of Us (consider doing the PS5 version. As much as I LOVE the MP on PS4, it is a 50hr grind if you don't fuckwidit).

- Mass Effect

- Outer Wilds

- Disco Elysium

- RDR2

- Inscryption

... so exciting!

Disco Elysium in particular is one I saw on sale and got excited cuz I thought it was exclusively PS5 all this time. You did such a fantastic job selling that one, so I'm really looking forward😎

Oof. Didn't think of that with TLOU. Another case of "but I already own it," and I could definitely see MP with that concept bein fun. I'll have to keep an eye for peeps going for those trophies!

23 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

For Final Fantasy XIII, be aware that the Treasure Hunter trophy is missable - and also a huge grind, since you have to have owned every weapon and accessory at some point in the game. Getting enough Gil and materials to purchase and 'evolve' all of the evolvable ones will take a while during endgame, and you'll want to follow a guide since certain weapons/accessories can only be found in areas that you cannot return to. Don't sell any weapons or accessories until endgame(and make sure to keep a save file where you didn't sell them) to be safe, even if you are tempted before then by how much gil you can get for them! You'll be doing a lot of Adaman(tor)toise farming at the end of the game anyway (for Gil and two very rare material drops), which is a great time to catch up on something like a TV show or podcast.

As much as the game is incredibly linear and the plot often varies between boring and confusing, I enjoyed the combat system! Though, I also understand why a lot of people didn't enjoy it, since it is more about preplanning your party setup and the actual combat is fairly passive compared to most FF combat systems. Sadly, it's about 10-15 hours until the game really lets you create your own party and determine which combat 'roles' you can assign them, so that's another reason a lot of people peaced out of the game before finishing it.

Yo! Thank you so much, that's gonna be super helpful for when the time comes. It's cool to have some insight into what makes it such a grind (I've heard before it's quite a time sink, but nothing really specific, so reading that definitely clears it up quite a bit). Definitely consulting a guide! 90 hour game with missables like that?? That's fuckin evil!

23 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Finally, when you do start the game, the terminology is a bit dumb - there are fal'Cie, L'Cie, and Cie'th //facepalm. That was part of why the story was so hard for me to follow (at least in the early game), as it was a whole bunch of different [??Cie??] groups being talked about, often at the same time. Eventually, I came up with this to remember which was which:

• fal'Cie ["fall-sea"] are essentially gods, and gods think of themselves as fabulous.
  • l'Cie ["le-sea"] are people that the gods force tasks on. Since l'Cie are but mere mortals, they don't get the full fancy title/word, but they still get a special L' prefix to show their connection to the fal'Cie gods.
  • Cie'th ["sea-eth"] are monsters, aka l'Cie who failed their tasks, aka the death of a l'Cie. 

Dude I'd have the same reaction getting all that info in a dump at the beginning of the game... I have a tendency to not process that stuff at first and be like "fuck it, I'm sure the context will make more sense later, yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah let's go." So thank you for the head's up, when they say "Cie" it'll make sense a lot sooner for me, and I can be like "Ah yes, the fabulousness has arrived, I've heard of you." 😎👊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Definitely consulting a guide! 90 hour game with missables like that?? That's fuckin evil!

That's basically every JRPG since the dawn of time, let's not talk about the original version of FFXII where the guaranteed drop of the best weapon in the game is tied to...not opening certain chests in multiple locations throughout the game that give no warning they are special in any way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Always wholesome to see someone properly appreciate FFIX! While I haven't played a Final Fantasy title in quite some time, IX remains my favorite (with VII close behind), and you certainly did it full justice here, in your usual entertaining style. Despite having the attention span of a gnat these days, I never have trouble reading these from start to finish, and that's saying something.

Since I was an odd kid who constantly ruminated about aging, death, deceased loved ones, and the meaning of life, Vivi was among the scarce few characters in media I could identify with at the time. Like yourself, I also loved it whenever he and Steiner teamed up to obliterate baddies with Sword Magic! I suppose my outlook hasn't actually changed much since then, although I do worry about nonexistence significantly less often than I did in my angsty teen years, at least. How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist...

Looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1

Great write up as always 😊

I think I may be in the minority here, but I never really got the hype around FF9 and everyone saying it was the best one. I got it on the PS1 originally, my only prior experience I'd had with the series was FF8, which I know now was a wild change from traditional Final Fantasy but back then it was pretty jarring. I always found the battles to be really slow, even when putting the ATB gauge on the fastest setting. Thank god for the speed boosts in the PS4 remasters! Also agree, the Trance system sucks. The number of times you'd enter Trance just as the battle was over, but the next battle and the Trance meter had reset......pfffft!!!

I enjoyed the early game story, despite Zidane being a major cringe 😅. Vivi's whole arc is what makes this game. But to me it felt like the story just falls off a cliff as soon as you get to the end of disc 3. Plus you spend the entire game chasing down Kuja, only for the final boss to be Necron the whole time.....where TF did this dude come from?!?! He's just dropped in at the last second but he's been behind the whole thing? Nah I don't buy it.

For me, the best Final Fantasy game is 10 closely followed by 8. Will you be playing any more FF games? I'd enjoy reading more of your thoughts on the series 😊

Edited by Heather342
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

sometimes I find myself thinking "I used to be so smart... the hell happened??"

Ditto, almost verbatim! I barely have the patience to write a paragraph nowadays, and my once decent vocabulary has noticeably suffered, too. "Oh, what's that word, again? It's right on the tip of my tongue!" Also, I do ridiculously absent-minded stuff, like putting a bottle of mustard in the freezer. 😅 Probably just a combination of depression, chronic pain, and age-related changes causing it in my case (hopefully!).

Well, I wish you luck in reaching your four review writing goal, and not only because they entertain me. Don't push yourself too hard, though; burnout is a real bastard to recover from.

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

yeah, that "How do you prove you exist" was brutal!

Oh, it practically triggered a mental health crisis for me back in the day! 😆 Well, that and the song "I Don't Wanna Be Me," by Type O Negative.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heather342 said:

I'll be going back to play FF X-2 at some point this year. I don't understand why it gets so much hate, I thought it was a good sequel.

"YOU CAN'T DO A DIRECT FINAL FANTASY SEQUEL IT'S AGAINST THE RULES ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???"

anigif_sub-buzz-944-1625693596-8.gif

Seriously though, I imagine that'll come after X (I do have both, after all). I haven't heard too many good things about it, but I do have to take biases into account. Besides, I'll happily take your opinion over "Uhhhhh cuz I don't like it" any day!

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

Ditto, almost verbatim! I barely have the patience to write a paragraph nowadays, and my once decent vocabulary has noticeably suffered, too. "Oh, what's that word, again? It's right on the tip of my tongue!" Also, I do ridiculously absent-minded stuff, like putting a bottle of mustard in the freezer. 😅 Probably just a combination of depression, chronic pain, and age-related changes causing it in my case (hopefully!).

It does become a bit less concerning when I see how common it is, like "ahh, this is where it all goes to shit, huh?" I've had a few friends mention that mid-forties was where the eyesight started getting fuzzy, and that's right around the corner for me so I'm clinging to my eyes like crazy right now🤣

Well, I wish you luck in reaching your four review writing goal, and not only because they entertain me. Don't push yourself too hard, though; burnout is a real bastard to recover from.

Thank you, sir! And yeah, you ain't kiddin. Burnout is a uniquely unpleasant beast, and we only get more familiar with it the older we get😔

Oh, it practically triggered a mental health crisis for me back in the day! 😆 Well, that and the song "I Don't Wanna Be Me," by Type O Negative.

Hah!! Aw man, great reference. I remember hearing Christian Woman in my formative years and being like what is THIS?? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I've had a few friends mention that mid-forties was where the eyesight started getting fuzzy, and that's right around the corner for me so I'm clinging to my eyes like crazy right now

My eyesight has been fuzzy since I was 5, so I'm hoping it won't get any worse! 40 ain't that far away for me 😭 haha!

• Like 1

I've had a few friends mention that mid-forties was where the eyesight started getting fuzzy, and that's right around the corner for me so I'm clinging to my eyes like crazy right now🤣

"Luckily," I seem to have already gotten that issue out of the way in my thirties, haha. Of course, my vision could always get even worse... The most disconcerting thing, though, is the abundance of floaters as I age. They're extremely noticeable in certain viewing environments, or when I'm looking at a mostly white screen. My precious eyeball jelly is falling apart, bro. 😟

To make matters worse, the nearest eye doctor that accepts my insurance is well over 100 miles away, so I have to pay out of pocket if I want to visit a more reasonable location. Greatest country in the world, amirite?

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #114: Killer Frequency

Better... run run run run, run run run away

9d2123495845b02540a2600c7502938b3bda5fa1

There's something about cheesy horror that will always scratch a particularly elusive itch for me, or in the very least when the right mood arrives. It's a cheap, empty calorie, dumb fun type of thrill I can't really get anywhere else, and while every genre has its silly tropes and hackneyed conceits to indulge, for whatever reason horror can make that campiness so damn engrossing. The last time I really got to immerse myself in something like that was Until Dawn back in early 2020, so when I saw the good Doctor and Mr. Vice talking about this one, it was a pretty easy sell!

Killer Frequency has a charmingly unique premise to it - you're Forrest Nash, a big shot DJ demoted all the way down to a medium shot DJ in a small town (on the night shift, no less... or should I say GRAAAVEYARD MWWAAHAHAHAHA), who's suddenly entrusted with all calls to 911 while there just so happens to be a serial killer on the loose. The usual dispatcher has to drive three some-odd hours to the nearest town for help and all police officers are either dead or incapacitated, which I guess leaves the local DJ as the next line of defense.

As the story progresses, we learn more about the town's history, what it has to do with what's going on tonight, and who might be responsible, but in the meantime we're posted up at the DJ booth playing records, running ads, and taking calls from terrified people about to be brutally murdered unless we can guide them to safety. It's like if a murder mystery and a slasher flick got into a fight, and a radio DJ simulator broke it up. Fun!

This thing has a great vibe to it, nailing the perfect ratio of not taking itself too seriously while maintaining a certain level of tension. Goofy nods are abound, with names of places in town (Gallows Creek, incidentally) largely being horror references and cheeky dark humor. Even the songs you can play have names like Crying for Help, Coming to Getcha, and the somewhat less subtle Stabbing in the Twilight - if Forrest were to cheerfully announce "this next one's called I Killed Your Friends with a Knife and You're Next by the Murderers," it wouldn't be the least bit out of place.

Also the killer, referred to as the Whistling Man, has what's possibly the least intimidating whistle I've ever heard in my life.

As silly as everything is though, there is still a healthy dose of tension, as well as some wonderfully creepy moments. The voice acting is deliberately campy and over the top, but sells everything really well. You truly feel the weight of each call, knowing that this person's life is in your hands. It's a great rush when you're able to give proper direction and save someone, and it's a genuinely awful feeling when you fuck up and lead them to their demise.

Figuring out how to save your callers from calamity is surprisingly fun, with a very Adventure Game Lite type of gameplay. All the material you'll need is somewhere in the station, and it's just a matter of finding the clues, deciding what's most pertinent and when, and communicating the information to your caller. It never feels too obtuse or too insultingly simple, and along with the steady pace of the narrative, it keeps things rolling along nice and smoothly.

Killer Frequency is also pretty entertaining on the DJ simulator front. You quickly get used to juggling all the responsibilities, and it's not long before you have records and ads ready to go in advance or can stop the music and put a line on the air without being prompted. You may even find yourself rushing through the station when you're on the search for something, mindful of dead air and knowing that the song's only gonna go on for so long.

That soundboard is fun as well, in fact on my "Get Everybody Killed" playthrough I had a particularly good time with those sound effects. The slide whistles, laugh tracks, and sad trumpets never got old as I listened to the killer slash through half the town. The sound effects were amusing off air too - I just cracked up at the idea of a DJ using them repeatedly, even in private with their producer, like there's just something seriously wrong with someone who would act that way.

Our producer, Peggy, is adorable, by the way. She's that fun girl at work that everybody likes, always bringing infectious positive energy. One of those people where if you can't get along with them, you're likely just being a grouch!

Finally, what you'd think would be the best part of the DJing aspect, the music... is alright, I guess. Our rotation is a bundle of serviceable, generic 80s instrumentals, truly nothing special at all. I found myself wishing they'd been able to at least get some vocals for them until I heard the song that plays over the credits... it turns out that adding vocals didn't help at all, cuz that song is straight garbage. "IT WAS A KILLER FREQUENCCYYYYYYY!!!" Ugh.

My other big gripe is the clunky, overly sensitive controls. All you really do is pick things up and throw, drop, or use them, but it doesn't always feel quite right. Picking things up requires an odd precision at times, and you also have to use the same stick to walk up to a door as well as swing it open, which feels counterintuitive. Things like this aren't a big deal during the first two playthroughs, but could be a bit frustrating during the speed run!

As far as complaints go however, that's really all I got. It's true that the location is severely limited, but given the brevity of the story, that's perfectly fine. The radio station opens up to you little by little and there's enough to see to keep your interest, I feel. Killer Frequency also has a cool, cell-shaded look that I liked, particularly the radio station's lobby bathing in the glow of that blue and neon pink sign. It doesn't exactly hit the watermark of something like The Wolf Among Us, but it gets the job done and it never unpleasant to look at.

Killer Frequency is a great time, all things told. I love the campy horror, the animated voice acting, the great balance of tension and comedy, and how it's all neatly wrapped up in a tight five hour package. It's certainly not perfect, but no fault is bad enough to detract from the enjoyment of playing it late at night with the lights out! I'm not gonna say Killer Frequency is a must play, 10/10 essential or anything, but if this genre is your thing and you haven't played this one, I don't mind telling you that you're missing out.

Stray Observations

- The loading screen being a radio frequency bar is a cute touch.

- “What do you mean, ‘are there only two police officers in this town?’ Obviously there are three. Jesus.”

- I can't help wondering what Forrest did to blow his career up. It was the eighties, so you know he really fucked up.

- Something about guiding Maurice through his office halls while he's trapped in there with the killer weirdly reminded me of Clock Tower, anybody remember that game?

- The panic-stricken Virginia is saved in a pretty humorous way, I just love how that intense fear subsides and she's suddenly like "sure, I'll hit the beer bong, why not?"

- I could've done without the 1987 setting. Stuff like floppy disks being described as futuristic (though a nerdy kid in a hedge maze has a cell phone?) to push just how 80s something is has gotten kinda played out at this point, no?

- Props to the read of that Harvest Festival ad, that's some impressive breath control.

- "I wasn't always Roller Ricky. Once upon a time, believe it or not... I used to go by just Ricky." I'd make fun, but Ricky is just too pleasant and likeable. Even after the "I got a rescue dog..." no, no, dont say it... "...but I like to think he rescued me." Aaauuugh. And losing him and his dog? That one hurt!

- I love Murphy, he's such a classic clueless country bumpkin. "Ah gawtta message fuh this so-cawlled... KILLUHH." That Rex Kwon Do got him feeling bold!

- When you have to leave the station for that record, you get a quick glimpse of a dark figure walking off. Corny, sure. But damn if I wasn't like eep!

- Wait a second, we didn't tell John what Casey and Jason's names were, how did he know... HE'S THE WHISTLING MAN!!!

- Forrest's terrible puns after each death are wonderful, and they're made all the better by how disgusted Peggy is with them!

- The basketball hoop over the trash can with infinite crumpled balls of paper is a great touch. "Oh no, the killer's after you, whatever will we d- BANKSHOT!! WOOO!!" "F-Forrest? Forrest, are you there??" "Huh? Oh yeah, it's just that you're so boring and this crazy trash can hoop is totally awesome. Yeah, we'll help you with the Humming Man or whateve- KOBE!!"

- I was pleasantly surprised at how much effort was clearly put into bringing all the threads together at the end. Everything made sense, in a corny horror story kind of way. Also cool how at the end you can see pictures of everybody, as well as who made it and who didn't.

THAT Trophy: Forrest Dash

Speed run Trophies always give me anxiety, regardless of the game's difficulty or how reasonable the time limit is (and it is very reasonable here). The finicky controls certainly didn't help that! It's really not that bad, but you know how it is with games like this.. picking the hardest trophy is always gonna be at least a bit of a reach!

The game looks fun! keep up and congrats

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...