Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

On 11/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, Super_Mep said:

@YaManSmevz

Wow a Dead Kennedy's reference. Hell yeah dude! 🤘 Sorry this reply is from a post weeks ago just had to say something haha

Sorry, I meant to respond to this! Yessir, I love me some Dead Kennedys💀 A good eye, there!

And don't even trip, I'm always happy to see a new face. Thanks for dropping by👊😎

• Like 2

Just now, YaManSmevz said:

Sorry, I meant to respond to this! Yessir, I love me some Dead Kennedys💀 A good eye, there!

And don't even trip, I'm always happy to see a new face. Thanks for dropping by👊😎

I'm still trying to get caught up on reading your post so I'm sure I'll have more to say. But yeah seeing a DK reference on my favorite forum is always a sight for sore eyes 😁

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dude - that was nostalgia to the max reading through that!

Nice work!

also…

58 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Play this game naming Cloud Zack, Red Nanaki, and Cait Sith Reeve. It made me laugh, at least.

…I think you and I have a similar idea… though I recall playing through, naming all 9 namable characters “Sephiroth”…

…that made my dopey young self giggle 🤭 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude - that was nostalgia to the max reading through that!

Nice work!

Thank you, sir! I appreciate that a lot. Especially from a homie, but especially from a fellow 83er👴👴

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

also…

…I think you and I have a similar idea… though I recall playing through, naming all 9 namable characters “Sephiroth”…

…that made my dopey young self giggle 🤭 

🤣🤣🤣 I love it!

"Alright, everybody! It's time for the final battle with Sephiroth. I, Sephiroth, will have Sephiroth and Sephiroth in my party attacking Sephiroth from the front, while Sephiroth, Sephiroth, and Sephiroth will attack from another party, and meanwhile we'll have Sephiroth team up with Sephiroth and Sephiroth!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It goes to show how loved this game is, that despite my lack of having played it and despite having really played any JRPGs, I knew about everything that you've written and followed with the understanding of someone who has "book knowledge, but no real world experience."

Also: comparing Aeris to the Moops was class.

• Like 1

THERE'S NO MOOPS, YOU IDIOT! You deserve a like for that reference alone.😄

My somewhat interesting childhood story regarding the whole Aeris mistranslation: after finally beating the game normally, I started experimenting with GameShark codes during my second playthrough, such as infinite Gil and fast leveling. An unintended side-effect of doing so was that her name somehow got set to Aerith upon recruiting her into the party, which obviously confused the heck out me at the time. Guess the original code was still in the game, and messing around with it to cheat triggered this somehow. Later, I read about the regional differences in PSM or something, and it was a big "ah-ha" moment for me.

Oddly, besides going through hell with all the Chocobo stuff to access Knights of the Round for those intimidating ultimate bosses, probably what I remember most about FFVII is the little RTS mini-game you play after reaching some mountain fort. The name escapes me at the moment, but I want to say the location was called Condor, maybe? Strange what sticks in your head sometimes.

Well-written, as always!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

It goes to show how loved this game is, that despite my lack of having played it and despite having really played any JRPGs, I knew about everything that you've written and followed with the understanding of someone who has "book knowledge, but no real world experience."

Word! That's like me with Star Wars, I never got into those movies but I learned everything that happens through cultural osmosis. There are people in third world countries that could tell you both who Luke's father is and what happened to Aeris..th..ssth.

17 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Also: comparing Aeris to the Moops was class.

17 hours ago, StraightVege said:

THERE'S NO MOOPS, YOU IDIOT! You deserve a like for that reference alone.😄

Hah! Thank you and thank you! Once again, Seinfeld saves the day

My somewhat interesting childhood story regarding the whole Aeris mistranslation: after finally beating the game normally, I started experimenting with GameShark codes during my second playthrough, such as infinite Gil and fast leveling. An unintended side-effect of doing so was that her name somehow got set to Aerith upon recruiting her into the party, which obviously confused the heck out me at the time. Guess the original code was still in the game, and messing around with it to cheat triggered this somehow. Later, I read about the regional differences in PSM or something, and it was a big "ah-ha" moment for me.

Yooo that's what's up! I vaguely remember using Game Shark codes as well, putting the Turks in my party and, less interestingly, adding an extra letter space so I could call Cloud Ex-SOLDIER like he was called in the intro😂

You're much smarter than me, you actually took note of the -th and made the connection later on, I completely forgot about that and was blindsided by it later🤣

Oddly, besides going through hell with all the Chocobo stuff to access Knights of the Round for those intimidating ultimate bosses, probably what I remember most about FFVII is the little RTS mini-game you play after reaching some mountain fort. The name escapes me at the moment, but I want to say the location was called Condor, maybe? Strange what sticks in your head sometimes.

Dude yes! You spend so much time fucking around with chocobos. Less time at Fort Condor, but I dunno, as far as the litany of mini-games went, I'd say it was fairly memorable! As you say, it's funny what our memories will hold on to.... tho damn if you didn't just get me wanting to play that😂

Well-written, as always!

Thank you, sir! Always appreciated😎👊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I vaguely remember using Game Shark codes as well, putting the Turks in my party and, less interestingly, adding an extra letter space so I could call Cloud Ex-SOLDIER like he was called in the intro😂

Ah, now that you mention it, I do recall having Sephiroth in my party for a time. It ended up being quite disappointing for deluded kid me, since he wasn't as overpowered as I had expected, and it was buggy (could crash the game). There were a lot of Sephiroth codes, though, so maybe I just used a bad one.

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

You spend so much time fucking around with chocobos.

Indeed, especially when it's 1997 and you can't simply ask for advice on the Internet. The strategy guide I owned was inaccurate regarding how to breed a Gold Chocobo, so I wasted far too many hours trying to figure it out myself. Eventually, my older brother got lucky with his experimentation and made one at last, which resulted in a big celebratory moment I'll never forget. That first cast of the Knights materia was mind-blowing to us, haha.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, YaManSmevz said:

You remember hearing from friends, maybe seeing an ad, about this awesome new game. You buy it at the store, open up the case and take in that new CD booklet smell (unless you think that’s weird, in which case I do too and totally never did that) and read through the whole thing in utter excitement, so eager to get home and start playing. You love it, your friends love it, and you play it obsessively, learning everything there is to know about it in the process.

Excellent write up sir! This part here literally brought me back to the day I got my copy lol It was the first game I ever owned that needed multiple discs to contain the awesomeness. I remember opening the CD case and catching that whiff of new game, counting the THREE CDs encased and immediately opening the manual to look through it on the drive home from Electronics Boutique. I didn't beat it 40 times like you, but it's the console game I've played the most in my life. I think I still have my memory card with my first play through ever saved, a triple master materias for each materia type, and a save right before that scene to re-watch whenever I was feeling down. Well done! I'll be replaying the PS5 version of FF7R in late January/February to get prepped for part 2. I can't wait!

• Like 3

Dang, the odds of you releasing this while I'm playing on FF7R! It's my first Final Fantasy, and I am absolutely loving it to death. And to think I'm not even halfway through the overall narrative of what the OG set out yet! 😅 I'll definitely give the OG a go some day.
I think FF7 was definitely ahead of it's time, with it's emphasis on protecting the planet and scrutinizing organizations that would disparage the ecosystem for militaristic and economic gain. Of course though, these conversations always existed, but in terms of recent years with division and misinformation on the topic, I feel it makes FF7 much more stronger, narratively, in retrospect. 
The music, as you said, is something that's been absolutely huge. You've got Jenova, the Airbuster, Sephiroth's iconic One-Winged Angel, but also some great ones that set the mood, like the bombastic battle theme-- especially, as you note, where Cloud triumphantly hops off the train at the beginning of the game. You get an idea of the absolute scope of Midgar, and here comes a blond-haired, sword-wielding warrior willing to overcome any force that stands in his way. With how intense it is, it really does put you in his shoes, going up against what essentially IS the government of Midgar, with just you and a ragtag group of other new faces who want to make change.

It's great how you mention the importance of materia, as well. Whilst I've yet to experience the full story, and the original game as a result, I feel as though FF7R's hard mode playthrough emulates the same feeling of mastering materia, based on what you've said in regards to the OG. How and what you equip on your party is ESSENTIAL for battles, and it turns what felt like standard "I'll wallop and cast the occasional spell" in fights to "alright, I'll build ATB with Tifa for the group, and use Cloud to build pressure, and Aerith to either heal when necessary or unleash devastating spells to stagger the enemy". Materias-- and how you level them up to increase their effects-- are a necessary aspect. There's even the case of the last couple chapters where I just went about bosses by using Cloud's counterstance ability, and having Manawall casted to make him a tank.
It's funny, because there's a particular fight in the "combat simulator" where you use thundaga and firaga spells not even with the intent to cause damage, but simply to keep the boss preoccupied. In that regard, it's awesome to see Square Enix translate this detail into the more action-based gameplay of FF7R.

Also, it's funny how Avalanche is supposed to be this super secretive organization, yet you have Barret and the others openly proclaiming their next goals on a frickin' public train!!! 😂

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

Great write up Smevz! 😁

Final Fantasy 8 was the first game I ever played on Playstation when I was a kid (or at least, when my brother would let me play on his Playstation 😅), so this one does hold a special place in my heart. Although as a kid I never understood the junction system, way too much for my 12 year old brain to wrap itself around, so I kind muddled through most of the game. Being my first FF game, and my first ever JRPG, I didn't realise just how much it veered off traditional JRPG formula until I played FF9. But I still love this game. All of the events on disc 1 I felt were so well done. But I'm firmly a believer in the Squall is dead theory, I don't care that folk at Square said otherwise 😅. All of the stuff that happens after disc 1 is just so wild, and Squall and his squad are generally just so unremarkable that it has to be some kind of crazy life flashing before your eyes as you die scenario 🤣

Anyway, that's enough rambling. I'll always rate FF8 and FF10 as my two favourites in Final Fantasy. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, StraightVege said:

Ah, now that you mention it, I do recall having Sephiroth in my party for a time. It ended up being quite disappointing for deluded kid me, since he wasn't as overpowered as I had expected, and it was buggy (could crash the game). There were a lot of Sephiroth codes, though, so maybe I just used a bad one.

I did the same thing, expecting OP Sephiroth from when you "play as him" in Kalm. And I had the same experience... so if there was a non-buggy one, I didn't find it either😔

On 12/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, StraightVege said:

Indeed, especially when it's 1997 and you can't simply ask for advice on the Internet. The strategy guide I owned was inaccurate regarding how to breed a Gold Chocobo, so I wasted far too many hours trying to figure it out myself. Eventually, my older brother got lucky with his experimentation and made one at last, which resulted in a big celebratory moment I'll never forget. That first cast of the Knights materia was mind-blowing to us, haha.

YES!! Oh my god, you're right.. breeding over and over and thinking you've finally got it down, and then... GREEN CHOCOBO, FUCK!! I remember the Knights of the Round materia being the stuff of legend, when you finally get your hands on it, it really is something!

On 12/17/2023 at 5:56 PM, Briste said:

Excellent write up sir! This part here literally brought me back to the day I got my copy lol It was the first game I ever owned that needed multiple discs to contain the awesomeness. I remember opening the CD case and catching that whiff of new game, counting the THREE CDs encased and immediately opening the manual to look through it on the drive home from Electronics Boutique.

Thank you very much, man! And that makes me so happy to hear you talk about your own experience picking it up when it was new😁 Reading the booklets is one of the things I really miss from those old days of gaming, I gotta say!

On 12/17/2023 at 5:56 PM, Briste said:

I didn't beat it 40 times like you, but it's the console game I've played the most in my life. I think I still have my memory card with my first play through ever saved, a triple master materias for each materia type, and a save right before that scene to re-watch whenever I was feeling down. Well done! I'll be replaying the PS5 version of FF7R in late January/February to get prepped for part 2. I can't wait!

Dude that's what's up👊

And THAT'S what's up! I hope you have a grea-... well I don't have to hope anything, you WILL have a great time with that😂 once I cop a PS5 and am officially welcomed into the 2020s, I'll be right there with you catchin up on FF7RM😎

On 12/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, Shrooba said:

Dang, the odds of you releasing this while I'm playing on FF7R! It's my first Final Fantasy, and I am absolutely loving it to death. And to think I'm not even halfway through the overall narrative of what the OG set out yet! 😅 I'll definitely give the OG a go some day.

Mah man!! I'm super excited to see you getting into these games! Really glad you're having a great time with it... I must admit tho, it's hard to say if it would be better to recommend you to try out the OG or stay the hell away from it for now🤣

I think FF7 was definitely ahead of it's time, with it's emphasis on protecting the planet and scrutinizing organizations that would disparage the ecosystem for militaristic and economic gain. Of course though, these conversations always existed, but in terms of recent years with division and misinformation on the topic, I feel it makes FF7 much more stronger, narratively, in retrospect.

Yeah, it was a cool thing to see not only in video game form, but believable as well, something you could get behind and root for. Definitely agreed!

The music, as you said, is something that's been absolutely huge. You've got Jenova, the Airbuster, Sephiroth's iconic One-Winged Angel, but also some great ones that set the mood, like the bombastic battle theme-- especially, as you note, where Cloud triumphantly hops off the train at the beginning of the game. You get an idea of the absolute scope of Midgar, and here comes a blond-haired, sword-wielding warrior willing to overcome any force that stands in his way. With how intense it is, it really does put you in his shoes, going up against what essentially IS the government of Midgar, with just you and a ragtag group of other new faces who want to make change.

Yeah it's a stellar fucking soundtrack. It's so good at putting you in each situation without feeling over the top or like it's trying too hard, and the fact that they were able to take the liberties they did with the original score in the remake and STILL have success with it is so great, I loves it🥰

It's great how you mention the importance of materia, as well. Whilst I've yet to experience the full story, and the original game as a result, I feel as though FF7R's hard mode playthrough emulates the same feeling of mastering materia, based on what you've said in regards to the OG. How and what you equip on your party is ESSENTIAL for battles, and it turns what felt like standard "I'll wallop and cast the occasional spell" in fights to "alright, I'll build ATB with Tifa for the group, and use Cloud to build pressure, and Aerith to either heal when necessary or unleash devastating spells to stagger the enemy". Materias-- and how you level them up to increase their effects-- are a necessary aspect. There's even the case of the last couple chapters where I just went about bosses by using Cloud's counterstance ability, and having Manawall casted to make him a tank.
It's funny, because there's a particular fight in the "combat simulator" where you use thundaga and firaga spells not even with the intent to cause damage, but simply to keep the boss preoccupied. In that regard, it's awesome to see Square Enix translate this detail into the more action-based gameplay of FF7R.

Yoooo that's something I really really dug about the hard playthrough on the remake, they really make you play ball when it comes to the system. Especially that fucking ultimate weapon fight, war and glory or whatever it's called, you can NOT just muscle your way through it, you gotta play smart. So yes, agreed once again!

Also, it's funny how Avalanche is supposed to be this super secretive organization, yet you have Barret and the others openly proclaiming their next goals on a frickin' public train!!! 😂

Right?? Hey Barret, you already have a damn gun on your arm, maybe you could try and act cool instead of picking fights with strangers while on the way to committing terrorist acts??

On 12/19/2023 at 1:49 PM, Heather342 said:

Great write up Smevz! 😁

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it😁

Final Fantasy 8 was the first game I ever played on Playstation when I was a kid (or at least, when my brother would let me play on his Playstation 😅), so this one does hold a special place in my heart. Although as a kid I never understood the junction system, way too much for my 12 year old brain to wrap itself around, so I kind muddled through most of the game. Being my first FF game, and my first ever JRPG, I didn't realise just how much it veered off traditional JRPG formula until I played FF9.

That's a trip! Sometimes I forget that FF8 came first for a lot of peeps, it must have been wild to play 9 and think it's all different, meanwhile everyone else is like "nah man, this is how it always was."

I actually got the opposite experience as you, my younger sister loved playing 8 but needed a lil help getting started - it made me really happy to see her take such an interest, I'm sure your bro felt the same!

But I still love this game. All of the events on disc 1 I felt were so well done. But I'm firmly a believer in the Squall is dead theory, I don't care that folk at Square said otherwise 😅. All of the stuff that happens after disc 1 is just so wild, and Squall and his squad are generally just so unremarkable that it has to be some kind of crazy life flashing before your eyes as you die scenario 🤣

YES!! I read about the Squall Is Dead theory fully expecting an implausible but fun read.. little did I know it would make the entire game make a freakish amount of sense!!

Anyway, that's enough rambling. I'll always rate FF8 and FF10 as my two favourites in Final Fantasy. 

Heather, you have excellent credit around here, you can ramble all you want👊

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Woot Woot! 🙌

Sayonara representing heavy, and both Unpacking, AND The Merchant in unexpected (but deserving) wins - the Merchant taking it has to be a blow to the ego of the King of All Creation.... but that rascal needs knocking down a peg or two!

Amazing how reading this, my "I-should-play-Trek-to-Yumi-o-meter" went shooting up... then dipping back down again, to settle about where it started 😆

I expected the comfortable victory taking of Red Dead, but it's still nice to see that game getting props so many years down the line!

Hell of a year though - and a great read, m'dude! 🍻

• Like 3

What a great year this was! It's actually amazing how most of the games that won your awards are games that I need to play in 2024. 

Enslaved Odyssey to the West is locked and loaded because of many recommendations (you included :lol: ), Valfaris waits for me to finally fire it up already after the massive love that I had for Slain, and...did I tell you that I purchased Va-11 Hall-A? 😆 And of course, always appreciating someone who enjoys a good X-Com game!

Also glad that you liked Broforce and Treasures of the Aegean, two fun but kinda obscure games  :D 

Fantastic writeup. hope that 2024 brings even more quality games to the Playstation table!

• Like 2

I have to echo DrBloodmoney in that your 2023 Gaming post was a delightful read!

- Best Music Nominees -

Goddamn but that Valfaris song *slays*! I'm definitely going to have to check out the rest of its soundtrack!

- Best Playable Character Nominees -
RE4 is peak Leon in my opinion. Some of his moves are so over-the-top, and his one-liners so ridiculous, that I can't help but adore him.

- Best NPC Nominees

Never has a throat full of phlegm sounded so great.

Lmao! Such an iconic performance, it's a shame that the remaster decided against having Paul Mercier voice him again. Any time I read one of The Merchant's lines, I can hear Mercier's exact delivery in my head.

- Best WHATATWIST Moment Nominees - 

I hadn't really heard anything about Stories Untold until now. A quick search tells me that it is a horror game with an 80s aesthetic and a generally very positive sentiment, so I'm shocked that this slipped past my radar!

---

(I also meant to reply to your FFVII & FFVIII posts much sooner but time is an elusive concept that often escapes me - they were fantastic nostalgia reads, and you really crushed them!)

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 2

Well hey thanks for the mention! Another great post as always. I was so happy Sayonara won best soundtrack cause holy shit that shit goes hard. I still listen to it on Spotify months after beating it. 

I'm seeing a lot of love for Valhalla, and not just from you. I briefly watched someone play it but it didn't look like my kinda thing. Maybe I should give it a go? 

Also I've had Enslaved sat on my shelf for almost 2 years now, maybe I need to start that sooner rather than later. 

Anyway. Loved reading all your posts these past few months. I'm always lurking haha. Here's to a smashing 2024 for all of us. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Woot Woot! 🙌

Sayonara representing heavy, and both Unpacking, AND The Merchant in unexpected (but deserving) wins - the Merchant taking it has to be a blow to the ego of the King of All Creation.... but that rascal needs knocking down a peg or two!

Hell yes man, I do believe you were the one who put the Sayonara on the radar for me, so thank you for that! And yeah, fuck that King! He probably just blamed the loss on the Prince anyway😄

Amazing how reading this, my "I-should-play-Trek-to-Yumi-o-meter" went shooting up... then dipping back down again, to settle about where it started 😆

Hahaha duuude Trek is a textbook example of a game doing something so well that it almost feels mandatory... except the parts it doesn't do well bring it back down to earth. It's impossible to recommend in either direction with good conscience, but also 100% deserves mention. It's confusing for sure😂

I expected the comfortable victory taking of Red Dead, but it's still nice to see that game getting props so many years down the line!

Oddly enough, I was kinda surprised!

Hell of a year though - and a great read, m'dude! 🍻

Thanks a lot, homie🍻

8 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

@YaManSmevz

I just downloaded Mafia the other day but now you've convinced me I need to move it up to the play now pile. I loved Mafia 2 back in 2010. Great read as always brother! 🤘

Thank you, sir!

That's how I ended up playing Mafia as well, from loving the sequel on the 360😂 I definitely think it's worth slappin on, it's a great time for sure!

8 hours ago, Copanele said:

What a great year this was! It's actually amazing how most of the games that won your awards are games that I need to play in 2024.

Crap, now I'm nervous... I'm picturing your year-end post in December 2024 bein like "And the worst games of the year? All the ones Smevz really liked in 2023, what a bunch of dogshit"🤣

Enslaved Odyssey to the West is locked and loaded because of many recommendations (you included :lol: ), Valfaris waits for me to finally fire it up already after the massive love that I had for Slain, and...did I tell you that I purchased Va-11 Hall-A? 😆 And of course, always appreciating someone who enjoys a good X-Com game!

I forgot, you've got your PS3 in "Finish Him!" mode! Enslaved is really good, the story just kinda goes off the rails and those collectibles, good lord😂

I'm very excited to see how you like Valfaris and VA-11 Hall-A, and duuude I love me some XCOM... one of these days I'll stop being a lil wimp and try out XCOM 2🤣

Also glad that you liked Broforce and Treasures of the Aegean, two fun but kinda obscure games  :D 

Yes! Broforce was so much fun, and I've got you to thank for Aegean, that one is such a good time!

Fantastic writeup. hope that 2024 brings even more quality games to the Playstation table!

Thanks a lot my dude! Fingers crossed🤞🤞

6 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I have to echo DrBloodmoney in that your 2023 Gaming post was a delightful read!

Thank you very much! Appreciate it😁

- Best Music Nominees -

Goddamn but that Valfaris song *slays*! I'm definitely going to have to check out the rest of its soundtrack!

Yooo that one is solid😎

- Best Playable Character Nominees -
RE4 is peak Leon in my opinion. Some of his moves are so over-the-top, and his one-liners so ridiculous, that I can't help but adore him.

I have to agree! He just wears that action hero skin so well. He was made for the spotlight, what can you say?

- Best NPC Nominees

Lmao! Such an iconic performance, it's a shame that the remaster decided against having Paul Mercier voice him again. Any time I read one of The Merchant's lines, I can hear Mercier's exact delivery in my head.

He's just too fun to mimic🤣🤣🤣 I don't know whose idea that whole thing with him was, but I hope they got a fat raise!

- Best WHATATWIST Moment Nominees - 

I hadn't really heard anything about Stories Untold until now. A quick search tells me that it is a horror game with an 80s aesthetic and a generally very positive sentiment, so I'm shocked that this slipped past my radar!

Nice! It's a really quick experience too, so definitely recommended. Late at night if possible😁

---

(I also meant to reply to your FFVII & FFVIII posts much sooner but time is an elusive concept that often escapes me - they were fantastic nostalgia reads, and you really crushed them!)

Dude thank you so much, that means a lot! I do my best😇

1 hour ago, jonesey46 said:

Well hey thanks for the mention! Another great post as always. I was so happy Sayonara won best soundtrack cause holy shit that shit goes hard. I still listen to it on Spotify months after beating it. 

Thanks, buddy! And hell yes, that soundtrack is straight up ADDICTING. Lots of pre-shift dance parties in the car with that one!

I'm seeing a lot of love for Valhalla, and not just from you. I briefly watched someone play it but it didn't look like my kinda thing. Maybe I should give it a go? 

I was hesitant as I'm not about that visual novel life, but I really ended up enjoying it a lot! I would hate to recommend it if you think it just wouldn't be your bag, but maybe watch some more stuff and see if your opinion changes?

Also I've had Enslaved sat on my shelf for almost 2 years now, maybe I need to start that sooner rather than later. 

It's cool! The collectibles is probably the main complaint, but it's fun. Gorgeous looking game, too!

Anyway. Loved reading all your posts these past few months. I'm always lurking haha. Here's to a smashing 2024 for all of us. 

Thanks a lot my G, I appreciate the lurks! Here's to 2024 indeed😎

• Like 4

Thanks for the shout-out Smevz! 

While I've not been the most active on the forums recently, I have been lurking in the shadows and reading up on all the posts 😊. Seeing Red Dead Redemption getting so many nods in this round up I felt compelled to recommend you play Red Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 is one that I put off for so long, doing the multiplayer first and dipping in and out of it over the past 3 years, I think that was the reason I kept shelving it. But this summer I finally decided to play the single player, and I have to say all those rave reviews were accurate. The game is an absolute masterpiece, I think you'll really like it. It's a huge undertaking for the platinum (my final in game time clocked in at 302 hours), but for me it never felt like an impossible grind, and those 4 months I spent with it are some of my gaming highlights for 2023. Don't sleep on it like I did! Although saying that I haven't played the original before, but I'll wait for the PS4 port to drop in price a bit more first 😊

Looking forward to seeing your gaming reviews for 2024!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Well hello there, and a good whatever-the-fuck-time-of-day-it-is to you!

It's the fucking morning here so good fucking morning to you too.

Now before you wildly applaud with such abandon as to accidentally flip your monitor or laptop over (or have your phone excitedly fly out of your hand)

too late

giphy.gif

it's been a pretty rough year, and I wouldn't feel right without giving a big shout to... 

I'm just happy to be here for you, homie.

- Broforce

Please compare to Super Time Force Ultra when able. :kiss:

- Valfaris

Exactly the type of wild, headbanging jams you need while blasting aliens' faces off! This thing fucking rips.

The vibes are impeccable.

school-of-rock-anger.gif

I can't speak for the PS3 version, but the remaster is jaw-dropping.

I can - it was incredible!!

ed84f3132394153bd4694bdf9f6c2281.gif

Monkey's cool, sarcastic vibe during constant crisis could've gotten grating so easily, but he pulls it off nicely!

Actually that's something that I never picked up on - the dialogue and voice acting never irritated me either, and yet it had such potential for edgelord adolescent schlock.

Best Voice Acting

Red Dead Redemption comes through with the dub!

He roots.

Best Story

Yet another close one, but Red Dead Redemption takes it!

He toots.

- Red Dead Redemption: “I love you. Now go. Git!”

Genuinely did not see that coming, and can't believe I'd made it a decade plus without having it ruined for me!

Wow, really? I'm so glad that you weren't spoiled! Such an incredible moment!!

Best Game I Been Sleepin On

Once again, almost too close, but Red Dead Redemption is our winner!

1qW7.gif

Damn - we be SWEEPIN dude.

This was great if only to watch the progression - my boy Platinum_Vice and I were doing these, looking like complete scrubs to start, but eventually getting to a point where we were carrying people on the Advanced mode! And of course, I'm a sucker for good co-op campaigns!

Homie bias? Maybe. Red Dead Redemption wins!

Out of all the people that I've played on-the-line...

63843041-2523-48b6-a3ef-7316469f714f_tex

... I can safely say that there's not a single other person out there who has exhibited such grace in their ability to catch an axe with their face. I hope you remember that for many years. Takes true talent.

20230104-065332.jpg

For real tho: "2023 be like..."

We made that Co-Op our bitch. 

To finish us off, yet another photo finish... my game of the year honors go to Red Dead Redemption!

There's only one thing I can really say: please play the sequel this year.

It is a slow burn... but so is a large log at the heart of a warm fire for a week-long camping trip.

I've been saying since 2018 that RDR2's trophy list is the 'greatest hits of bad trophy requirements,' but Husky's helpful tool, a spoiler-free missables guide, and some multiplayer boosting partners (*ahem* - mic is ready, game is installed, beers are in the fridge) will help with this.

The campaign is incredible and worth the trophy hunt.

I wholeheartedly believe that you will enjoy running in the gang at a time when Dutch, Javier, Bill and John are peers.

I believe that you'll play it eventually. Please refer back to this post for my prediction that you will have a special place in that heart of yours for Charles, Sadie, Hosea, Lenny,  John/Abigail/Jack, and Arthur. Mainly though, if I know you like I think I know you: Charles and Sadie. :highfive:

Here's to an optimistic 2024. May it be a banger as I believe you have one coming. 👊

• Like 4

Finally got around to commenting!

* Your mentioning of Broforce for most addicting gameplay loop has me intrigued. I've had it in my backlog for a while and it's about damn time I checked off a game from South Africa!
* I'm super happy to see Sayonara Wild Hearts take home 2 awards! Best Gameplay+Best Music is no joke! It's a 9/10 game that I probably haven't done as great of a job as voicing as super underrated to others but I remember absolutely loving it. Heck, the trophy list is also brilliant for the unorthodox ways it'll have you play.

* I know it didn't win but DAMN Mafia looks gorgeous from that shot of Best Graphics

* Earning an NBA2k platinum is a genuinely incredible accomplishment. I've never had the patience nor the ability. My sports game crack is FIFA and even now I've resorted to only dabbling every other year. Huge congrats!

Looking forward to what you'll cook up in 2024!

• Like 3