Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

10 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hey thanks a lot man, I really appreciate that! You more than know your way around difficult trophy lists, so that means a lot1f44a.png

I sure as hell won’t 100% GTA V. If it involves difficult multiplayer, I’m out.

On 24/07/2022 at 2:59 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #63: Salt and Sanctuary

Under the fog, there are shadows moving

Salt-and-Sanctuary-1024x576.jpg

Very enjoyable read but that is always the case in here! 

I picked this one up in a recent sale and all I’ve heard regarding the game is positive. Sounds like you had a great time with it too! So that’s just another nudge toward starting it! 

Love how you took on the boss you’re not supposed to beat at the beginning of the game! You’re a certified badass, but you know whatsup ??

How did this compare to Cuphead enjoyment wise? I loved Cuphead and objectively speaking there’s definitely a few similarities between the two games!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Very enjoyable read but that is always the case in here! 

Ayyyyy thanks mah dawg?

I picked this one up in a recent sale and all I’ve heard regarding the game is positive. Sounds like you had a great time with it too! So that’s just another nudge toward starting it! 

Love how you took on the boss you’re not supposed to beat at the beginning of the game! You’re a certified badass, but you know whatsup 1f525.png1f44a.png

Haha thanks man, that's straight up praise from Caesar right there!

100% YES, I could see you having a great time with this one. 

How did this compare to Cuphead enjoyment wise? I loved Cuphead and objectively speaking there’s definitely a few similarities between the two games!

I still enjoyed Cuphead more, but I'm a total Cuphead fanboy so take that with a grain of salt? Definitely agree on the similarities, big bad bosses with dope visuals, that's a hard combo to go wrong with! Seeing the fine work you did with Sekiro got me eyeing that one as well?

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 9:59 PM, YaManSmevz said:

When I started this game I was anticipating just getting my ass beat nonstop, but it's absolutely a game you cab adjust to and git gud at with reasonable ease. Also, I ended up going with a guide before long, it's way too easy to get lost or accidentally stumble upon a boss when you haven't saved in a while. Without that, my completion time of a week would've ballooned to a month. Very glad I got around to playing this one, it's definitely the gem I've heard it to be, and it's given me a nice lil nudge towards the Soulsborne neighborhood!

Ay great job with this one! Salt & Sanctuary 100% qualifies as a Soulsike. I'd heard of the game and even seen it on sale but held off due to the difficulty as you mentioned. The fact you said the game was created by a couple got me curious and I found this interview by them. Boggles my mind as you said that a team of just two people can make a game, let alone a good one! Kinda tempted to check out their latest title (Salt & Sacrifice) next time it goes on sale so thank you for that!

21 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Transistor is one of those games that came with such universally high praise that when I started playing and didn't quite get it, I got to experience that familiar anxiety of "but everyone else likes it... what's wrong with me??"

Hahaha it's funny that you and I had the EXACT same experience with the game. Transistor stands out so uniquely because of the fact I had the same phenomena. Sorted by more trophy earned dates, I played the game in mid-January, was honestly pretty "eh" on it on every front and didn't understand why it was so highly rated. i had never played a Supergiant Game before. Hell, I pissed off for 3 weeks to enjoy the new Mavel's Spider-Man that had been released. But when I came back to it in mid-February when I was near the end of my 1st playthrough it all clicked. The awesome customization for combat. I had appreciated the music and visuals well enough but it's what took the game to a new level for me and made me so glad there was a New Game+ trophy that allowed me to appreciate the game properly. I say this all to say, I relieved my experience through your review haha ?

But yeah. Consider me a proud Supergiant convert!

662px-Rukey2.jpg

Do not leave Rukey waiting my friend! Play that Pyre before 2023!

Edited by realm722
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Hot damn this game sounds so good!

Your review game is lit lately, Smevz. 1f44a.png

Thanks homie! And yeah dude, the soundtrack alone makes it worthwhile?

19 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Ay great job with this one! Salt & Sanctuary 100% qualifies as a Soulsike. I'd heard of the game and even seen it on sale but held off due to the difficulty as you mentioned. The fact you said the game was created by a couple got me curious and I found this interview by them. Boggles my mind as you said that a team of just two people can make a game, let alone a good one! Kinda tempted to check out their latest title (Salt & Sacrifice) next time it goes on sale so thank you for that!

Thanks my dude! Good look on the interview, I really enjoyed that! Yeahmann, it's stupendously impressive how much work just two people can take on, and to see how well it came out is crazy. I'd definitely recommend it, though I've heard some mixed things about Sacrifice so I'd definitely suggest you poke your head around before jumping in, just in case?

Hahaha it's funny that you and I had the EXACT same experience with the game. Transistor stands out so uniquely because of the fact I had the same phenomena. Sorted by more trophy earned dates, I played the game in mid-January, was honestly pretty "eh" on it on every front and didn't understand why it was so highly rated. i had never played a Supergiant Game before. Hell, I pissed off for 3 weeks to enjoy the new Mavel's Spider-Man that had been released. But when I came back to it in mid-February when I was near the end of my 1st playthrough it all clicked. The awesome customization for combat. I had appreciated the music and visuals well enough but it's what took the game to a new level for me and made me so glad there was a New Game+ trophy that allowed me to appreciate the game properly. I say this all to say, I relieved my experience through your review haha 1f602.png

Haha yooo I gotta be real, I'm still just a lil bit salty that it took me two months to complete it? Just wasn't feelin it for the longest time. Agreed pretty hard on the New Game+, that saved the whole experience for me too!

662px-Rukey2.jpg

Do not leave Rukey waiting my friend! Play that Pyre before 2023!

That reminds me of the Sublime song 'Waiting for My Ruca'?

Everything I've heard about Pyre has intrigued the hell out of me... I think you're right, that one should be coming up sooner than later?

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 1:02 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #54: My Memory of Us 

Thank you for taking the time to link me to this review sir it is very much appreciated, I finished it a night or so back and have been very keen to read someone else's musings on it, but I'm quite inept at finding my way round these forums.

I love your point about the arbitrariness of prejudice, I feel the game sold that message so keenly without losing the game with the message, although I think it's an excellent game for any age I'd love to see this used as a tool for discussion in education.

The memories of heroic Poles were excellent the same as you I binged them at the end of the game and I found them really touching, the treatment of the entry for the main antagonist was also really well though out, simplistic but the right touch.

It felt like every small touch worked well against the intention, I'm relieved to see you also found some of the solutions convoluted, but as you say none of them outstayed too much and while the controls and mechanics were occasionally fiddly it in no way detracted from what they were trying to achieve.

Thank you again for the link, it's felt very cathartic seeing your thoughts on it, I will proceed to check out more of your reviews!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aceterix said:

Thank you for taking the time to link me to this review sir it is very much appreciated, I finished it a night or so back and have been very keen to read someone else's musings on it, but I'm quite inept at finding my way round these forums.

Think nothing of it, man. Thank you for paying a visit! I'm always happy if something I post can be of any help?

I love your point about the arbitrariness of prejudice, I feel the game sold that message so keenly without losing the game with the message, although I think it's an excellent game for any age I'd love to see this used as a tool for discussion in education.

I tend to be turned off when a message or point gets too literal, so I really enjoyed the approach they took here. I definitely agree that this would be a great game with that sort of education in mind!

The memories of heroic Poles were excellent the same as you I binged them at the end of the game and I found them really touching, the treatment of the entry for the main antagonist was also really well though out, simplistic but the right touch.

Aw man, the memories hit pretty hard! My wife walked in while I was reading those, and the next thing I knew we were watching Schindler's List and crying? It's truly powerful stuff. The memories were clearly very important to the devs at Juggler Games, and I'm so glad I saved them for last!

Thank you again for the link, it's felt very cathartic seeing your thoughts on it, I will proceed to check out more of your reviews!

I appreciate that, thank you so much??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are many things I expect to see on PSNP, my friend, but seeing a loving tribute to Starcraft on here wasn't one of them! ?

Great post man, I played very little Starcraft in my time (Warcraft 2, for sure, but strangely, Starcraft eluded my own machines completely!) but even for me, you hit some nostalgia beats, and gave me a better insight into the game! ?

• Like 3

Smevz, I loved that you posted this. I dabbled in RTS when I was a kid on the PC, and always loved the “concept” of them, but was far far too impatient to get their nuances and always went back to Half-Life and DOOM!

The RTS genre is alive and well on PC and console. Have you thought of giving XCOM2 a whirl?

Edited by DrunkenEngineer
  • Like 3

Huh...so that's what it means to be dropkicked by nostalgia xD 

Many thanks for the Starcraft post @YaManSmevz, that was one crazy trip down the memory lane! I will never be good at Starcraft (not while South Koreans lurk the servers) but damn if it ain't one of the finest RTS games out there!

Except this part xD 

Unleash the dreaded Zergling rush?

I have a bit of allergy to Zergs because my god all they know is throw units at me.

Also this game...was on N64...? Wow...for a game where you need the entire keyboard and a mouse for peak precision, how did they make it work on a console even?

If StarCraft was ever released on a modern PlayStation console, it would still be a first day purchase, one of those "I don't care if the trophy list is impossible, we are doing this" games, full stop. 

+1 there, no contest.

Too bad RTS and consoles never mix well :( 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

There are many things I expect to see on PSNP, my friend, but seeing a loving tribute to Starcraft on here wasn't one of them! 1f602.png

Great post man, I played very little Starcraft in my time (Warcraft 2, for sure, but strangely, Starcraft eluded my own machines completely!) but even for me, you hit some nostalgia beats, and gave me a better insight into the game! 1f44d.png

Thanks homie! I almost mentioned Warcraft II but I felt I was already on such a tangent? I didn't play that one anywhere near as much but that one was a great time as well! I mostly remember being able to use ships and the builder guys bein like "Yes, m'Lord" with this dullard tone that always cracked me up.

21 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Smevz, I loved that you posted this. I dabbled in RTS when I was a kid on the PC, and always loved the “concept” of them, but was far far too impatient to get their nuances and always went back to Half-Life and DOOM!

The RTS genre is alive and well on PC and console. Have you thought of giving XCOM2 a whirl?

Thanks, Engie!

.....okay scratch that nickname, we can definitely do better?

In your defense, Half-Life and DOOM were the shit! And it's funny you mention XCOM, I actually played Enemy Unknown on the 360 after finding it in a Google search for 'games like Starcraft!' I own XCOM 2, but it's in the same boat as Red Dead 2 where I know I'll definitely get into it eventually, but it intimidates the hell out of me?

21 hours ago, Copanele said:

Huh...so that's what it means to be dropkicked by nostalgia xD 

Many thanks for the Starcraft post @YaManSmevz, that was one crazy trip down the memory lane! I will never be good at Starcraft (not while South Koreans lurk the servers) but damn if it ain't one of the finest RTS games out there!

Haha agreed, I can't see myself rising any ranks either, those players are insane!

InfantilePlainIncatern-max-1mb.gif

COT-DAMN!!

Also this game...was on N64...? Wow...for a game where you need the entire keyboard and a mouse for peak precision, how did they make it work on a console even?

Yeeeaaahhhh.... it was not good. Like if you had never played it on PC before you'd be like "holy shit, this is AMAZING" but otherwise you'll just look like Shrek in that Welcome to Duloc snapshot?

I remember it being awkward for sure. They used the yellow arrows for hot keys and since those were next to the main buttons it wasn't toooo terrible, but ultimately everything just took that much longer. Mildly annoying moments like when a unit would fuck off and do its own thing after a target was destroyed, for example, would end up being twice as problematic as they had to be. 

Too bad RTS and consoles never mix well :( 

Dude, no lie. I had to learn that one the hard way?

• Like 3

I loved this review, Smevz. Is this where the term 'zerg rush' comes from?

StarCraft escaped me back in the day but I lost many many hours to Age of Empires I & II (the discs were FREE in some cereal boxes for some reason!) and Age of Mythology (my god, I adore that game).

Halo Wars was huge let-down, right?!.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is burning a hole in my backlog and I can't wait to get into Iron Harvest on the PS5. It is a video game extension of a great 4X board game called Scythe which is pretty slick. A few late sessions with the boys have been lost to Scythe...

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thanks, Engie!

.....okay scratch that nickname, we can definitely do better1f614.png

In your defense, Half-Life and DOOM were the shit! And it's funny you mention XCOM, I actually played Enemy Unknown on the 360 after finding it in a Google search for 'games like Starcraft!' I own XCOM 2, but it's in the same boat as Red Dead 2 where I know I'll definitely get into it eventually, but it intimidates the hell out of me1f604.png

XCOM generated all sorts of memes.  Like having a 90%+ shot completion chance with a shotgun, your soldier one square away from the Sectoid and it MISSES!  THAT'S XCOM!

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thanks homie! I almost mentioned Warcraft II but I felt I was already on such a tangent1f602.png I didn't play that one anywhere near as much but that one was a great time as well! I mostly remember being able to use ships and the builder guys bein like "Yes, m'Lord" with this dullard tone that always cracked me up.

I 'member(berries) a bunch of those quips.  Man, I think it was 6 months ago or something my little brother - who plays a shitload of World of Warcraft and Blizzard games, in general - came over and he was helping out with moving some wood in the back yard.  Without missing a beat he's got this stack of wood, looks me in the eye and says "zug zug".  Never can I recall such an abrupt wave of nostalgia hitting out of nowhere.  Hadn't heard that phrase in 20 years, and knew EXACTLY what it was (the orcs from Warcraft).

• Like 2