Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

An excellent one m’dude - and somehow more nostalgic for me than most!

I’m not 100% sure why, but that game absolutely is, for me, the epitome of PS3-era, “this game has issues but I just don’t care”!

It’s got a list of oddness and jank the length of your arm… but makes up for it all, ‘cause it’s got moxie, dammit! 😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

An excellent one m’dude - and somehow more nostalgic for me than most!

Thanks homie!

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m not 100% sure why, but that game absolutely is, for me, the epitome of PS3-era, “this game has issues but I just don’t care”!

It’s got a list of oddness and jank the length of your arm… but makes up for it all, ‘cause it’s got moxie, dammit! 😂

YES. This game has so much going against it, by all logic it should just be another open world clone. That classic "something about it..." quality. I've always loved this one, man - as usual, you and I are in the same boat👊

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #78: The Godfather II

Ha - that must be an interesting one to play in 2023 man - I remember thinking it was enjoyable schlock back when I played a decade ago, and it felt a little dated even then!

So I have a weird theory about this one...

...I kind of think that somewhere, somehow, if this game and the other "good, but flawed" mafia game of that era that I played - Mafia II - were spliced together, they would make for an amazing game, but as they are, they feel like the one great game that was broken in half, and each got exactly half the goodness!

Mafia II has the looks, and the great city design and tone... but all the open world fun, the neat ideas and the engagement is lacking.

Godfather II has all the fun, silly but neat ideas, the fun... but it needs a little more in the way of prestige, visual flair and a more consistent tone! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ha - that must be an interesting one to play in 2023 man - I remember thinking it was enjoyable schlock back when I played a decade ago, and it felt a little dated even then!

Duuuuude it was a total time machine🤣 even when compared to the other PS3 games I was playing alongside it! I can't help wishing I'd played it when it came out, can't help wondering if my thoughts would be any different. Also, that online mode looked fun as shit!

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So I have a weird theory about this one...

...I kind of think that somewhere, somehow, if this game and the other "good, but flawed" mafia game of that era that I played - Mafia II - were spliced together, they would make for an amazing game, but as they are, they feel like the one great game that was broken in half, and each got exactly half the goodness!

Mafia II has the looks, and the great city design and tone... but all the open world fun, the neat ideas and the engagement is lacking.

Godfather II has all the fun, silly but neat ideas, the fun... but it needs a little more in the way of prestige, visual flair and a more consistent tone! 

Oooh, well observed! I didn't finish Mafia II on the 360, though I remember it looking great and having a solid story - ironically, I think I ended up getting my old timey mafia game fix from The Godfather: Don's Edition😂

That definitely would've been a spectacular swap. More defined cities? Intense firefights that feel like they matter? Significant relationships with characters and fully realized twists and turns?? YES PLEASE.

Off the top of my head, the best support I can offer your theory is the fact that Mafia II also has an early sneaking mission, and it's far more difficult and way less cartoonish. That's exactly the kind of tension a game with all these awesome ideas needs! "Whoops, the Italian guy set off the alarm, mamma mia!" Get the fuck out of here🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice write up my dude!

When you get around to Mafia 3 let me know and I'll walk you through the de-patch process.  That game is bugged to heck and back and almost impossible to Platinum on latest branch.

I've got the first two games chilling in my library and your reviews always make me look longingly at all the games I have with no time to get to them all!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Nice write up my dude!

When you get around to Mafia 3 let me know and I'll walk you through the de-patch process.  That game is bugged to heck and back and almost impossible to Platinum on latest branch.

Thanks, homie👊

Yeah, I'll definitely take you up on that. The whole de-patching thing is the only thing that makes me hesitant to take on Mafia 3, I don't even know how or why it's broken like that but it's never encouraging to hear!

24 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I've got the first two games chilling in my library and your reviews always make me look longingly at all the games I have with no time to get to them all!

Dude you would smoke this game! But yeah, I feel you... what's harder than any game I've played is finding the time to play them at all😭

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

THIS IS WHY WE NEED A SUPER LIKE REACTION.

You've got me staying up late reading your diary, dude. Keep the 10 pagers coming if they're going to be this good homie.

Yo, thanks my dude! That means a lot, especially coming from someone who can make ten pages fly by like they're three😎

You're in the rare company where if you ever get the bug up your ass to go for some GTA IV platty goodness (or yes, even Doomsday on GTA V), my door is open👊

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #82: Grand Theft Auto IV

Immigrants, we get the job done

20397268-1.jpg

another good review from the homie (definitely not trying to be edgy here)

Also i feel bad for the guy that you mentioned that has to write a impartial review of this game, i wonder who that could be :ninja:

Funny thing is that the plat's descripton is "Sorry for taking liberties with your time" it's as if they knew what they where doing

Breaking Bad Chemistry GIF - Breaking Bad Chemistry Experiment - Discover &  Share GIFs

17 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinums #48, 53, 71, 92, 93: MLB The Show 18-22

From the home of the Dodgers, Brooklyn squad

befunky-2023-2-3-14-40-3.jpg

Damn, that's some dedication to a series right there my guy, i didn't read all of it (because i have a attention span of a goldfish), but i just have to say that i wish these were available physically in the eu/uk, i mean i can still buy 21 and onwards digitally but it would feel much better if there was a physical copy, oh sorry just my physical is best side of my brain taking over for a moment.

By the way, any plans on the Spyro triogy of games? Only asking as i am seeing everyone is prepping the Spyro 3 plat to pop January 1st because it's title is "Party like it's 2024" and i got to admit that i am a part of this craze. ;)

EDIT: "Knew what thye" i feel like i was as drunk as the anti piracy measure in GTA 4 where you would be drunk all the time lol

Edited by serrated-banner9
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

anticipation of spring training fills me with excitement, and post-season baseball exhilarates me to no end, even after my beloved Dodgers perform their usual choke job early on!

Anticipation... exhilaration... choke job...

YEAH BABY, it's BASEBALL TIME!

Hell, even the crack of a baseball bat is near the top of my Favorite Sounds list

And it feels even better, doesn't it? Do you ever twitch yourself awake when you start dreaming about hitting one over the fence?

No? Just me? Damn we're getting personal today...

Developing talent, trading, you can even fuck with the salary of your third base coach, I mean it's fucking wild.

Well yeah. I mean, his signal to steal doesn't exactly require a codebreaker to read. If he touches his right ear, they steal. Dock his pay! Sack him! Kick him around a bit too, maybe. Get the bat.! And just... have fun with it, y'know?

The Show: You have to perform a difficult feat. But NOT IN MULTIPLAYER. Oh yeah, thought you were slick, huh?? We know what you're up to buddy, and we're too smart for you.

Player: Oh, okay. I'll just adjust the sliders in my favor then.

The Show: uhh.. no, no. DO NOT LOOK AT THOSE.

Player: Eh, you're probably right.

The Show: Good.

Player: I'll just boost it with somebody online then.

The Show: GOD DAMMIT

🤣 💯

Greta Van Fleet

These guys sound incredible! My favourite from them is Black Smoke Rising.

why we gotta have more Greta Van Fleet?? Booooo

Oh wow dude.

I'm just glad we're finally done featuring god damn Greta Van Fleet on the soundtrack, about fucking time!

🙃 

@Platinum_Vice and I still gotta try that out

I bought the PS5 stack this week!! Let's go dude!

MLB-R-The-Show-TM-21-8.jpg

• Like 1

goddammit Smevs!

I haven't played a baseball game in anger since RBI Baseball....

...but you know how intoxicating I find other gamer's enthusiasm! You're making me want to play a game that I can categorically guarantee I would understand about 4% of the mechanics of! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

goddammit Smevs!

...but you know how intoxicating I find other gamer's enthusiasm! You're making me want to play a game that I can categorically guarantee I would understand about 4% of the mechanics of! 😂

It's easy, ya just gotta hit the ball, and then there's only a few other things to keep track of...

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952kyhji66w8rern3f18 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, serrated-banner9 said:

another good review from the homie (definitely not trying to be edgy here)

Thank you dude! No worries, no edgy perceived👊

Funny thing is that the plat's descripton is "Sorry for taking liberties with your time" it's as if they knew what they where doing

Breaking Bad Chemistry GIF - Breaking Bad Chemistry Experiment - Discover &  Share GIFs

Oh they fuckin knew, alright...

Damn, that's some dedication to a series right there my guy, i didn't read all of it (because i have a attention span of a goldfish), but i just have to say that i wish these were available physically in the eu/uk, i mean i can still buy 21 and onwards digitally but it would feel much better if there was a physical copy, oh sorry just my physical is best side of my brain taking over for a moment.

I don't blame you in the slightest, and appreciate the honesty😂 I didn't know they were dissin the UK/EU like that, that's wack!

By the way, any plans on the Spyro triogy of games? Only asking as i am seeing everyone is prepping the Spyro 3 plat to pop January 1st because it's title is "Party like it's 2024" and i got to admit that i am a part of this craze. ;)

Hah! I didn't know about that.. but nah, probably not. I say go for it👊

4 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

And it feels even better, doesn't it? Do you ever twitch yourself awake when you start dreaming about hitting one over the fence?

No? Just me? Damn we're getting personal today...

Duuuuude yes! It sucks cuz the batting cages has become one of my don'ts with the elbow injury😭 And yeah, that's a very unique feeling, hitting a ball way the fuck out, I love it💪😎

Well yeah. I mean, his signal to steal doesn't exactly require a codebreaker to read. If he touches his right ear, they steal. Dock his pay! Sack him! Kick him around a bit too, maybe. Get the bat.! And just... have fun with it, y'know?

"Hey, I noticed that my last paycheck was for a dollar... that was a mistake, right?"

"Oh good, you're here! Hey, see that blowtorch and rope? Hand those to me real quick, would you?"

These guys sound incredible! My favourite from them is Black Smoke Rising.

Oh wow dude.

🙃

Hahaha I shoulda known one of the homies would be a fan... yeah, I just don't like them. In the future though I will bite my tongue should they come up!

I bought the PS5 stack this week!! Let's go dude!

MLB-R-The-Show-TM-21-8.jpg

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT👊

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

goddammit Smevs!

Hahaha mah man👊

I'm tempted to be like "Yeah, do it!!" but I don't wanna bring up and bad memories! Is there a shinty video game? If so, we could trade😂

3 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

It's easy, ya just gotta hit the ball, and then there's only a few other things to keep track of...

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952kyhji66w8rern3f18 

He's right, you know😄

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I'm tempted to be like "Yeah, do it!!" but I don't wanna bring up and bad memories! Is there a shinty video game? If so, we could trade😂

lol - I've only ever seen a few Shinty games in my life, but let me tell you - it's seemed so fucking violent, that that game would probably be more reminiscent of Manhunt than of MLB 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

lol - I've only ever seen a few Shinty games in my life, but let me tell you - it's seemed so fucking violent, that that game would probably be more reminiscent of Manhunt than of MLB 😂

Hahaha I love it🤣

Rated M, for blood. I mean like a lot of blood, we're talkin murder victim type blood here, holy shit.

Wow, that sounds really vi-

Rating isn't finished, sir. Anyway yeah like if you stabbed somebody, we're talkin fucking buckets

1 hour ago, gruffiiti said:

Great writeup ma dude... now lets go bowling!

Thank you sir, much appreciated👊 And I'm down... I suck at life, but I bowl like an angel!

• Like 3