OCD Trophy Habits

MonaSaxPayne

• All games have to have a platinum
  • All trophies must be obtainable
  • No extra peripherals required, eg a VITA or VR for DLC content
  • Any online trophies are earned as soon as I put them on my account.
  • Will now avoid any online games that require me to be in public lobbies or can't be completed with someone on my existing friends list
  • I don't autopop trophies, the only game I have on my account twice is Diablo 3 and rather than transfer my character across I've started from the beginning
  • No EZPZ < 1 hour platinum games, unless of course the game was phenomenal and has to be experienced

This makes it sound like I'm being so restrictive, but on the contrary I have a backlog of games I own that stretches over 10 years (if I go for 100% on each), games like The Witcher 3, Death Stranding, Nioh, Assassins Creed Origins, YS series, Hollow Knight, DMC 4 and 5, Dark Souls 1 to 3, Bloodbourne, Sekiro, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Persona 5 etc, etc........

......you get the idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me it would be....

• Play titles that have some link (nostalgia / franchise love) or that have high acclaim from this community - I tend to shy away from less well reviewed titles and with work/life can cherry pick!
  • Don't focus on trophys first time around, just get to the credits (although by exception consider trying to get online ones out the way ASAP or ignore rule if I played it before)
  • Due to not being trophy focussed account originally (I caught the bug in 2019), try and knock a game off the list 100% or close as I can reasonably get before introducing new ones
  • Don't be afraid of starting something, be afraid of never having started something!!

• 3 weeks later...

This Account Is Still Fairly new. I made it back in 2017 because I wanted a second account to play on. And I had a bad reputation on my old account and just wanted a clean slate. This was before I began to trophy hunt so I didn't care for statistics. But it also meant I didn't care for what games I played. Getting 1 percent on jetpack joyride or 1 percent on ark survival didn't bother me because I only played games for fun. Not that I don't play for fun anymore but I've noticed I've gotten more competitive with myself. Anyway a few years go by and I just randomly wanted a platinum. Just so It could be on profile. I decided on getting 2 cheap platinum's just to see what it would look like. Weird excuse but I was curious. So my first plat was essentially a half assed joke instead of a medal of dedication. 

Now this wouldn't be so bad to the average trophy hunter. I assume because a lot are mostly in it for the quantity rather than the quality (not all but a fair amount). 

I've basically just started my trophy hunting hobby but I cant continue. It irritates me to know that no matter how much time I put in. Or how impressive my platinum catalogue could become. I'll always have these joke platinum's. Even thought I am actually trying and wanting to get more ambitious with my collection. I did the last of us remastered which was a pain due to the multiplayer. And I've almost completed Red Dead Redemption 2, even enduring its painfully bad online mode. And I've been eager to finish Dark Souls 3 and MGSV. But all this ambition and motivation is crushed under the weight of 2 $2.99 fucking indie games. It even goes beyond just the platinum's now. As down the bottom of my list there's games like jetpack joyride that just sit there on 1 percent and god damn does it hurt, as corny as it sounds. I guess I'm just pissed that I was such a moron when I didn't think it mattered. Obviously my own fault and although I wish Sony would allow us to remove these from our list, hell I'd even pay just to get them scrubbed off my profile. I can understand why they wouldn't. If It wasn't obvious already I have OCD so it makes it harder for me to shrug it off and continue my hunting.

I have thought of making a new account a few times. This time making it look the way I want. And yeah, I assume this is a shared frustration among a lot of trophy hunters. And I understand from another perspective I'm probably just rambling over nothing. But god damn I never thought these stupid virtual badges would get the best of me

Thanks for Reading

Edited by Skullahh
  • Like 2

Let me start by saying I wouldn't normally comment here. Just being honest with you.

I have a small handful of shitty, shovelware games on my account too and I gotta say, try to accept it and accept that you made one mistake dude. It's totally okay.

So here's my story in short. I play videogames for fun. That will not change. When I was just getting back into trophy hunting last year, a distant friend told me about a pair of cheesy games called Road Bustle and Chickens on the Road. They would help me "increase my trophy count fast once in a while" and they were on sale for like $1.50 combined so I figured sure. I've played them both and they're stupid games. And then in May, in an effort to keep a streak alive, I tried to play a game called Paradox Soul for a cheesy plat. Man that game is terrible, and I'm terrible at it. I could probably go back and finish it one day, but I realized I was playing a game that sucked for trophies that no one would care about except me, and I didn't like them either. So I don't play those games anymore, because I just like playing fun games.

I've essentially pooped away two milestones on my account because of those games. But I wouldn't really change anything. Those games are part of an account that has milestones I'm actually pretty proud of, like my #1,337 trophy or my 30th platinum. Regardless of rarity you have some really impressive plats on your account, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of, dude.

Edited by kindajustin
  • Like 4

I wouldn’t say I’m the most skilled, so if a Platinum is reasonably within my abilities, I’ll definitely go for it, DLC trophies included. For my favourite games and series, I’ll invest my time and best effort into the Platinum, but it’s not required. At least hitting Rank A on this site on a favourite title is usually enough to satisfy me. Essentially, when a game stops being fun, it’s time to move on.

What I find more interesting is keeping my entire played game history on display. Even if I completely abandoned a game and only obtained a single trophy, I enjoy seeing it in my list. For me to play or just try out a game though, I need to know I’ll be able to obtain at least a single trophy from it. That’s the more OCD-driven aspect of my rules.

Aside from the above, my only other guideline is to not pursue any multiplayer trophies (even if I buy a very old game with dead/closed servers for example, and know there’s no hope of obtaining the majority of trophies, I’ll still buy and play it to enjoy for the story and single player content). I only have a couple of exceptions to this, and in those games I’ll only play private/invite-only lobbies with my closest friends. Otherwise, multiplayer is pretty much out.

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 1

You can certainly tell from looking at my account, but I dont hold myself to any rules. The moment that trophy hunting becomes a stressful job to me, the moment I'll have to drop it. 

I just trophy hunt games that I really love, or have a decent or short plat (that I'm already interested in, I dont buy games just for easy plats). 

I mostly love the idea of collecting them, and being here in a community of people who also love gaming. I dont feel the need to be a completionist with it though. I go for plats for games that I want to spend the extra time in. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

Yeah I rationalized it by thinking eventually it'll just sink to the bottom my list. I mean they pretty much are at the bottom since they were my first platinum's lol. I think pretty black and white so when something seems a bit off or annoys me. My mind tries to invalidate my other accomplishments with the logic of "But you will always have this painful reminder of a shit game. Therefor don't waste your time". I appreciate you telling me about your experience and yeah I understand where you're coming from with accepting it and let it become an integral part of your profile history. I guess when you put it like that it adds more scale to just irrelevant it is. Regardless I may eventually make a new account only just so I can have the thrill of completing some platinum's again. And so I have an excuse to play some of my favourite games again. 

Thank You

Also Im not sure why my post was moved under an already existing topic. I could've sworn I made a new one for the sake of ranting. I'm still getting the hang of this forum

Edited by Skullahh
  • Like 1

Well, I try to follow these rules:

• No games with unobtainable trophies, either in the base trophy list or DLCs.
  • I only complete games I really like. I balance the game and the trophy list. I don't play a game exclusively for the plat and I don't play games I may like with trophy lists I don't (on main account...)
  • Complete games 100%.
  • If a DLC has a trophy list I do not like, I choose not to play that game entirely.
  • No games that don't have Platinum trophies.
  • I only play games with MP trophies if I really like the game. My actual backlog has a few games with the MP trophies that I already got out of the way just waiting for me to complete them. (It bugs me to have those games incomplete, but I know I'll get back to them soon).
  • I don't have problems with completion orders or completion times.
  • For games I really want to play, or games I play with friends, I use a second account.
  • If a game I started turned out to be boring, I'll leave it but will return eventually to complete it.

And that's about it.

I would say my trophy OCD is a bit under control, having a second account is really helpful.

My trophy rules.

must platinum all games I play

i only buy DLC of games I have really enjoyed

i focus on one story related game at a time

i focus on one multiplayer game at a time

i focus on one clean up at a time

i don't play games of a similar genre at the same time

I favour games that require just 1 play though, regardless of difficulty and time.

currently working on: UFC4, Days Gone, Tropico 5

• 2 weeks later...