just finished…

It is one of my most favorite games. I played it when I was around 7 or 8 and as young child games are way more than they are now. It was a really awesome adventure with many side quests (Pearls, Animals). I was really scared at alpha section that time and it took me a year to finish because I got stuck somewhere when I was pretty young. I later played it on ps3 too. The soundtrack is also really nice plus it hits my genre of space games.

I would say it is one of the small number of games that I would double or triple up on my account (try to avoid it as best as I can). Happy that you enjoyed it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

The ending reminded me of anotehr cool French game - Remember Me, which also had had poor sales outcome, hmmm…

Story in Remember me was generic as story can be tho (plot twist that makes you shake your head). Fighting system was fine and world was interisting. 

Beyond good and evil was great. Would play more games like that one.

• 4 months later...

I honestly dont know what to say about this game.  I've tried to sit back and refect on it this morning and I think I would say I'm not surprised it didnt have great sales.  Not because its horrible yet if I sit here with a lack of an answer it makes me feel like the game didn't do enough.

It feels like the game should be for kids with perhaps an age range of 10 to 14.  I did not have the same effect that others have said in regards to this amazing story, the story wasn't bad it just wasn't really well done.  The only character we seem to get some depth on is Jade, and a bit of Pey'j, yet at the end of the game it turns out there still is more we didn't even know.   It's like a decent game that leaves itself open for a sequel yet doesn't really ever fully explain itself.

Strange is pretty much my one word response.  I also did not understand some of the story arcs like why is this happening, or why am I collecting animal pictures?

I only used a guide for the code to the ship, as I could not figure out where it was.  

Best parts - music that fits the mood well, it felt rewarding accomplishig a stealth puzzle

Worst parts - fighting the flying boss in the water and having to jump and shoot it in the air...horrible, flying boss on moon...seriously takes a long time to finish like 8 different forms, the camera angle was so dumb to...why can I look everywhere with the camera yet when I try to use R3 to move around to just look I can't look everywhere?  made no sense

Edited by LegendExeter
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LegendExeter said:

I honestly dont know what to say about this game.  I've tried to sit back and refect on it this morning and I think I would say I'm not surprised it didnt have great sales.  Not because its horrible yet if I sit here with a lack of an answer it makes me feel like the game didn't do enough.

It feels like the game should be for kids with perhaps an age range of 10 to 14.  I did not have the same effect that others have said in regards to this amazing story, the story wasn't bad it just wasn't really well done.  The only character we seem to get some depth on is Jade, and a bit of Pey'j, yet at the end of the game it turns out there still is more we didn't even know.   It's like a decent game that leaves itself open for a sequel yet doesn't really ever fully explain itself.

Strange is pretty much my one word response.  I also did not understand some of the story arcs like why is this happening, or why am I collecting animal pictures?

I really like BG&E's story, but I really do think think the 'Nickelodeon Cartoon' visuals it borrows from similar era games (Jak / Sly / Ratchet) are disguise for allegorical satire and political statement in this case, rather than evidence that the game is actually aimed at kids.

It's worth remembering the political climate in which the game was made, and when it released. With a 2003 release date, principal development had to have started right around 2001 - the era of the World Trade Centre attacks, the Patriot Act in the US (and the equivalent draconian laws in other western countries) and the beginning of the era of militaristic governmental over-stepping and iron-fisted curtailing of civil liberties, in response to a conveniently magnified and aggrandised, ever-present, yet curiously nebulous, threat from an ill-defined evil force...

... one that said governments never quite seemed to actually be willing to directly address, but were more than willing to use as a straw-man argument in favour of any power-grab over their citizenry they felt like.

It's a hot-button issue, and one that had to have felt, at the time, like the game was grabbing the 'third-rail' of political satire, in a way other games were unwilling to do. It is notable how far the symbiotic relationship between the 'evil force' and the government supposedly fighting them are shown to be throughout the story...

...If taken as further political commentary (which I believe it is intended to be,) then the game is making a strikingly accusatory political statement, going beyond mere satire and veering into the realm of out-and-out accusation.

You're damn right about that music BTW - what a fantastic soundtrack - and those flying bosses.... yeah!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This would be my first time playing it so I have no experience nor prior knowledge on what the game is all about.  No nostalgia nor sentimental attachment to it so I am judging it (as well as comparing it) as a PS2/PS3 game with others that also came out during that era.  We talk about PS2 to PS3 HD remaster then Final Fantasy X and FFX2 comes to mind... the Square Enix game surely will come on top.

It is a fun game but felt kind of weak in comparison to other games of its time.  The controls are clunky.  The camera angles both the chase camera and photo-mode behaves terribly and makes the 'activity' very cumbersome.  Then there are the bugs in the code - got hit with an invisible wall while doing Looters' Cavern 2.  It took a while before the game decided I have had enough punishment and let me go... barely as it still got me stuck at that first laser-bend just right before Gate 1.

Then there is that ridiculous air-hockey mini-game.  With a fidgety :l3: stick, it was so hard to aim with accuracy at the opening.  Then of course there is the 'rubberbanding' AI opponent, Francis who can sink his shots mostly with just one attempt.

I eventually found it to be fun when playing the open world part.  The photo side-quests I did enjoy which felt more geared to the very young'uns.  Reason why we hear all praises coming from folks who were 7-13 year old when they first played the game, expressing that the game was part of their childhood.  First time gamers in 2023 regardless of age would probably find it to be not as charming as what pioneers would claim it to be.

It was a FREE game thanks to PS Plus (November 2015) so I guess I should not complain.  It is not really that bad but I was a bit underwhelmed for having high expectations, based on what others were saying.  Like I have mentioned prior, if compared to FFX/X2, BG&E would not hold ground.

Edited by Eispan
... or it is probably just me...