Is this game good?

Tidus755

Not everyone seems to be of the same opinion, but if you're into politics, secret societies, and history, you're likely going to enjoy. I followed a walkthrough myself in order not to have to play through it multiple times (unless I needed to anyway to get all trophies? I don't recall), and it didn't diminish my enjoyment - I loved the game!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 27.10.2021 at 4:30 PM, Tidus755 said:

The game is on sale right now and caught my eye.

What do you guys think about it?

Seems like there's a lot of missable trophies which might make it a chore, but is the story good at least?

I liked it for like half of it and then it went downhill. One of the worst games I've played

• 1 month later...

This game has a lot of merits, in the way they implement a more RPG element into the normal point and click narrative formula. The implementation of the systems and skill trees really adds another dimension to this genre.

However, as most people will mention, the first half is good and then it goes downhill. Without spoiling anything, it's purely a matter of poor writing, and maybe lack of development budget. They are able to build a lot of intrigue at the start, but later falls apart due to the direction they took with the story. All early plot threads seem to no longer matter and easily brushed aside, which is very unsatisfying. Later half of the game feels a bit rushed as well, and how the protagonist manages to convince other characters to change their minds in the final episode is simply laughable and makes little sense.

Overall I'd say the game is still worth playing due to its unique approach but doesn't truly live up to its potential.

Edited by RagnarNL
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's a little more detailed than your average TellTale Game. I feel as if it's like TellTale games had a baby with Supermassive games, and this is what came out with slight mutations.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, visighost said:

Not everyone seems to be of the same opinion, but if you're into politics, secret societies, and history, you're likely going to enjoy. I followed a walkthrough myself in order not to have to play through it multiple times (unless I needed to anyway to get all trophies? I don't recall), and it didn't diminish my enjoyment - I loved the game!

I share the same sentiment. I was a little bored initially, but once I started seeing the connections they were making to real history, it got me excited and almost felt like it was really a part of history. 

I also liked that aside from having to look out for the leveling trophy, any replayed chapters allow dialogue to be skipped, which is a godsend with replaying these types of games for minuscule story differences.

For me it’s the best in its genre. Really like that you can play blind with little thought for trophies as long as you thoroughly search and make sure you get your 10% exp bonus by getting all skills to level 1 early.

also nice you can skip dialogue for the 4 quests you have to replay at the end.

The story was great. Plat was not stressful. Bit of boob on display. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

on Extra by the way.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

It starts really strong and easily beats every Telltale game in both gameplay and story and atmosphere (except for The Wolf Among Us maybe), all characters are interesting, VAs did great job and Duchess Hilsborrow's MASSIVE HONKERS kept me both glued to tv and reminded what a pathetic loser I am since I'm salivating over some pixels on the screen, but then during the 4th episode writers probably thought "hey, let's smoke some angel dust before finishing the story" and went from mystery/murder mystery to... well I really can't describe it without spoilers, but what I can describe is how the game went to shit almost instantly. AVGN's legendary "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!" comes to mind and I simply can't recommend the game for that reason.
The platinum trophy is simple though and quick with a guide.

Edited by czDante92

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2022 at 11:19 PM, lostforever77 said:

I liked it for like half of it and then it went downhill. One of the worst games I've played

(SPOILERS!!!)

I wouldn't consider it a bad game and definitely not one of the worst I've played but the story got so weird and ridiculous towards the end...Some aspects of the plot don't make sense and even contradict themselves. I like that there's a replay value because of the various paths but I guess they all end in a similar way, so the additional playthroughs can be a waste of time.

The characters' animation is off at times, voice acting is a mixed bag of good and bad and there aren't many locations to visit. I wish there was more to explore and bigger amount of items to let's say open certain areas. There are not many puzzles and the ones added are pretty vague. Music is forgettable and graphics are ok - apart from the mentioned animations.

I wish your choices would bring more outcomes...Can you totally stand against the Mortimer for instance, because I didn't check it out? I like the RPG elements but they aren't that relevant in the end. That's probably my first "Telltale-like game" and I'm disappointed. Rating it 4/10 on Gamefaqs.

Edited by The-Smiths-85
Grammar.

On 09/07/2022 at 7:09 PM, RagnarNL said:

This game has a lot of merits, in the way they implement a more RPG element into the normal point and click narrative formula. The implementation of the systems and skill trees really adds another dimension to this genre.

However, as most people will mention, the first half is good and then it goes downhill. Without spoiling anything, it's purely a matter of poor writing, and maybe lack of development budget. They are able to build a lot of intrigue at the start, but later falls apart due to the direction they took with the story. All early plot threads seem to no longer matter and easily brushed aside, which is very unsatisfying. Later half of the game feels a bit rushed as well, and how the protagonist manages to convince other characters to change their minds in the final episode is simply laughable and makes little sense.

Overall I'd say the game is still worth playing due to its unique approach but doesn't truly live up to its potential.

(SPOILERS!!!)

I agree with the "laughable and makes little sense" part. It's like the game went from a historical/mystery genre to fantasy very suddenly. It mixes everything towards the end - conspiracy theories (which are true for the most part if you observe the geopolitical situation), Bible references, Sherlock Holmes vibes, occultism and pure fantasy. I wish they would keep the plot regular, like it is until the middle part of the game. Very disappointed.

On 19.1.2023 at 11:59 PM, The-Smiths-85 said:

(SPOILERS!!!)

I wouldn't consider it a bad game and definitely not one of the worst I've played but the story got so weird and ridiculous towards the end...Some aspects of the plot don't make sense and even contradict themselves. I like that there's a replay value because of the various paths but I guess they all end in a similar way, so the additional playthroughs can be a waste of time.

The characters' animation is off at times, voice acting is a mixed bag of good and bad and there aren't many locations to visit. I wish there was more to explore and bigger amount of items to let's say open certain areas. There are not many puzzles and the ones added are pretty vague. Music is forgettable and graphics are ok - apart from the mentioned animations.

I wish your choices would bring more outcomes...Can you totally stand against the Mortimer for instance, because I didn't check it out? I like the RPG elements but they aren't that relevant in the end. That's probably my first "Telltale-like game" and I'm disappointed. Rating it 4/10 on Gamefaqs.

But I would. Serious Sam and this one are among the worst games I've played. You don't have to agree. Opinions differ

I was quite surprised by this game. It achieves what most Telltale games only dream of achieving. Your choices really matter, and the puzzles are inteligent, really benefiting from a good previous knowledge of art, history, etc.

I do not regret playing it

• Like 1