Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE THIS. Also...

6 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

3. Pre-existing self-imposed milestone rules apply. Every 10th and 25th platinum (and every other milestone) must be platinum/blue/dark silver. My first three milestones chanced that way when I first joined PSNP and started trophy hunting, so I kept it going. Every 10th and 25th game therefore has a platinum trophy with an image that suits the aesthetic. It’s a silly and very egotistical thing to do that benefits no one except myself but I like it so it shall continue! Astro's Playroom will kick things off as platinum 130 with a blue platinum image, so 140 (the letter K) and 150 (the letter U) are therefore also in the hotseat

Relatable?

6 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

H – Horizon: Forbidden West 

L4467f2.png

Trailer

Hype: 6/10 

I really hoped that the issues that I had with the first game would get addressed for this sequel... based on what I’ve seen things don’t look too bright for improvements on my hang-ups with Zero Dawn. I’ll keep an open mind and, worst case, focus on the aspects of the game that I know I’ll enjoy: shooting mechanical laserbeam-and-rocket-launcher-wielding dinosaurs!

Hitman 3 misses out by a hair! I’m expecting it to be a lot better than Horizon and much longer to complete, therefore it can wait while Horizon probably shouldn’t! 

Hades misses out – I’d like to play Bastion, Pyre and Transistor first. 

Hogwarts Legacy looks scary-good. I’m really hyped... But I expect a lot of bugs upon release and significant money gouging. Reluctantly, this one is getting pushed back. A hard decision.

Me when you're reaching for Horizon over Hitman 3:

wayne-waynes.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2022 at 1:16 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

2023: The Year of the Alphabet. 

Love this idea, very much looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!

Some brilliant games lined up so far on here as well:

• Astro's Playroom - honestly still one of my favourite PS5 experiences. I enjoyed the haptics in this for the gimmick, but they've long since been turned off for me. Still the game is of an extremely high quality, and really is a love letter to the whole Playstation Legacy. Keep your eyes peeled for the Cameramen, nothing trophy related but plenty of little Easter eggs.
  • Biomutant - I was a bit let down with this, as I felt it could have been a lot more than it was, but I hope you enjoy it.
  • Elden Ring - not a lot to be said about this, that hasn't already been said. I never actually finished this, but it was my first actual foray into the 'Souls' games and it was fantastic for the time I played it. Ate up my life for a good month or so, and I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point. Don't know if it's still good or not, but I went for an INT build with spells and the Katana.
  • Ragnarok - brilliant game. I know you loved the first, so this will be a great experience for you. I don't know if it reaches the heights of the first reboot, but it looks great and plays well as well. More Mimir is always a plus in my book!
  • Maquette - interesting gimmick in the size changing and not too strenuous as far as puzzle games go. Speedruns can be a bit of a pain, but once you know what you're doing you'll easily wrap these up.

A few I'm still wanting to play on here myself as well,  Cyberpunk, Disco Elysium and Rift Apart are the ones that spring to mind, so definitely looking forward to seeing what you think. Cyberpunk is already in the backlog but waiting on a good sale for the other ones. I just can't warrant £70 for Ratchet and Clank, and even half off on the January sale is still a bit steep!

Good luck with the challenge, I hope you smash it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Love this idea, very much looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!

Some brilliant games lined up so far on here as well

Thanks Helix!

Astro's Playroom - honestly still one of my favourite PS5 experiences. I enjoyed the haptics in this for the gimmick, but they've long since been turned off for me. Still the game is of an extremely high quality, and really is a love letter to the whole Playstation Legacy. Keep your eyes peeled for the Cameramen, nothing trophy related but plenty of little Easter eggs.

This game was great for many reasons (especially the cameramen! That was my favourite thing!) but there were definitely some hiccups... I loved the haptics for about two hours... and now I'm quite worried about it. I think I'll turn them off soon. The triggers specifically sounded great in theory but I really don't like them adapting.

Did you notice any lag with the controller? There was about a 0.5s delay that made platforming (especially the speedrunning trophy) a lot harder than it needed to be.

I'll try the controller out for a little longer but I'm a bit worried by it at the moment.

Biomutant - I was a bit let down with this, as I felt it could have been a lot more than it was, but I hope you enjoy it

Yeah I'm about an hour in... not loving it. 

Elden Ring - not a lot to be said about this, that hasn't already been said. I never actually finished this, but it was my first actual foray into the 'Souls' games and it was fantastic for the time I played it. Ate up my life for a good month or so, and I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point. Don't know if it's still good or not, but I went for an INT build with spells and the Katana.

Hopefully you get back into it. I'm trying to temper my expectations at the moment. Thanks for the tip (re your build!)

Ragnarok - brilliant game. I know you loved the first, so this will be a great experience for you. I don't know if it reaches the heights of the first reboot, but it looks great and plays well as well. More Mimir is always a plus in my book!

Oooh juicy, juicy. Can't wait!

• Maquette - interesting gimmick in the size changing and not too strenuous as far as puzzle games go. Speedruns can be a bit of a pain, but once you know what you're doing you'll easily wrap these up.

A few I'm still wanting to play on here myself as well,  Cyberpunk, Disco Elysium and Rift Apart are the ones that spring to mind, so definitely looking forward to seeing what you think. Cyberpunk is already in the backlog but waiting on a good sale for the other ones.

✊✊

I just can't warrant £70 for Ratchet and Clank, and even half off on the January sale is still a bit steep!

Mmhmmm. I shopped around a bit and got a new/physical copy in a Christmas sale: $60AUS (~35 quid). It might come down in the next 6 months but I'm not so sure; for the family market there's no real competitor... and Insomniac Games always review suspiciously high... might have to bite the bullet, mate.

Good luck with the challenge, I hope you smash it!

Thank you ?

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arkane Studios: Part 1

The Dishonored Trilogy

L789d3a.pngL6170fc.pngL5f8e5b.png

20230129-182823.jpg

Should we gather for whisky and cigars tonight?  

Never doubt it. 

In the first Dishonored game, you play as Corvo Attano, royal protector to the empress Jessamine Kaldwin. Kaldwin rules the Empire of the Isles from the capital – the city of Dunwall – which is broadly analogous to a steampunk 1830s London. 

Kaldwin is assassinated at the outset of the first game and Corvo is framed for it. You manage to break out of jail in the first level and are welcomed by a rebel force attempting to undermine the regime of Kaldwin’s usurper Hiram Burrows.  

A plot featuring twists, turns, schemes, assassinations and political intrigue ensues and Corvo, dishonoured in name, must decide whether to retaliate with extreme prejudice or to live among the shadows (or a mixture of both) in a city that suffers under the combined pressures of political instability, class division, an overly-forceful police presence, dangerous technological advances (including the reliance on the volatile whale oil to power walls of electricity and the proliferation of speakers throughout the city that perpetuate the regime’s propaganda), and, most notably of all, a rat-borne plague.  

Dishonored-Definitive-Edition-20220512202654.jpg

Dishonored-Definitive-Edition-20220511195424.jpg

Good luck forgetting the first time you see rats devour people that are alive. I took a screenshot in case the memory starts to fade.

Additionally, chaos is accelerated with the oversight of a malevolent demigod known as “The Outsider.” He appears before the main character of every game and bestows dark powers upon them. The powers accentuate your stealth, traversal and combat skills and they are the backbone of Dishonored’s gameplay.  

My appreciation for the lore of this series is hopefully shining through. It’s a key pillar in what makes the series memorable. 

001.png

Steampunk? No. Dieselpunk? Nope. 

It turns out that these subgenres of science fiction are partially defined by the substance that causes the society's technological advance. 

Oh! Whalespunk.  

Whale-oil.jpg

Nailed it. 

Dishonored: Definitive Edition:

Returning Home, Dishonored & High Overseer Campbell 

The opening act of the first game is easily its weakest. It’s the dreariest patch, and the slowest, and it has the least interesting targets... BUT the first ten minutes features a cool microcosm for the series. Sokolov, a mad inventor, is painting the man who will become your first target. Sokolov’s paintings are Dishonored 1’s [Yes, we're going with 'Dishonored 1'/'D1,' 'D2' and 'D2.5' - it's quicker and easier] collectibles. There is also a health potion on a table beside the man that Sokolov is painting; Sokolov is about to add the health potion into his illustration. You, the player, can take the potion at that time.

You find the finished painting after progressing through two levels while hunting collectibles. If you had taken the health potion during the opening sequence then it won’t be in the painting, and vice versa.  

High-Overseer-Painting-1.png

High-Overseer-Painting.png

This is a perfect metaphor for how the game adapts in subtle ways to the endless amount of microchoices that you make in this series. It might actually be the first decision available to the player. Player choice, something I don’t value as highly as, say, interesting lore, is clearly prioritised by Arkane Studios in their gameplay. If it sounds like my priorities are backwards then this game is probably right for you. 

I was disappointed that the interesting lore of this world was shunted away into books that litter every room. There was a part of me that really wanted to extract as much as I could from these but they’re such a pace-killer. I opened my last book in this series within an hour of playtime. 

House of Pleasure & The Royal Physician 

Dishonored is firing on all cylinders by House of Pleasure. Players are directed to a brothel where you are tasked to eliminate twin bureaucrats.

Ugly.png

Whale oil... oil painting... intentional? Also, is it just me or does the artstyle makes everyone look disfigured and inbred.

I mean, come on, really?! This artstyle is probably quite insulting for London-ites. I know for a fact that, in reality, only half of them look inbred.

An alternative to killing them is to ensure that they are put to work in a foreign mine belonging to their family. The emergent gameplay is on display here with so many different ways to find, access and eliminate your targets. 

The primary reason for your visit is to rescue Emily Kaldwin, your daughter and heir to the throne, who is being detained in that brothel. The experiences of a 7(ish) year old girl residing in a brothel for 6+ months could be a catalyst for very interesting character development and motivations, but to my knowledge this is never explored. 

Rescuing-Emily.png

The following mission (The Royal Physician) is one if my favourites in the game and I think that’s probably a spicy take; it’s almost completely linear and it’s one of the simplest levels by almost every measure. The narrow focus for my use of powers gave them a chance to shine and the vertical level designs that Dishonored is known for don’t get much taller than this bridge.  

Royal-Physician.png

Lady Boyle’s Last Party 

This is the best mission in the game. 

You are tasked with infiltrating a masquerade ball hosted by three sisters in their lavish mansion. The class divide in this world is on stark display here. It is the only instance to depict opulence in Dishonored; the mansion has welcomed the upper crust of the city and tables overflow with banquets of food. 

Lady-Boyle-s-Party-2.png

The bourgeois guests exude an indifference to the suffering of the masses who are located almost directly outside of the mansion’s perimeter (you actually had quite the task of killing a handful of hobos / avoiding alerting them on your way up to the gate).

Everyone is wearing a complex mask in a playful attempt to hide their identity and this is the perfect setting for you – a mask-wearing assassin – to blend in without the need to crouch in the shadows for the entirety of the level. Some guests will remark upon your daring for wearing such an accurate duplicate of the mask worn by the feared and dishonoured assassin Corvo Attano. 

You only need to eliminate one of the three sister hosts. They are dressed in identical costumes (except for the colours of those costumes – white, black and red) and their identities are randomised for every playthrough. Each time you play this mission you must talk to guests to discover clues of which sister is which... or you could sneak upstairs and raid their bedrooms for clues instead.  

Boyle-s-Party.jpg

The non-lethal means of eliminating Lady Boyle is dastardly. A lustful man is waiting in the bowels of the mansion with blankets, chloroform and a small boat for a silent escape. He requests you to bring Lady Boyle to him with the promise that he’ll take her away and guarantees that she’ll never return. ?

Brisby.png

Return to the Tower 

I have a bit of a fetish for when games, either with or without fanfare, allow you to stumble into the tutorial areas when you’re nearing the end of a game. Returning to those locations when you’ve reached (or are approaching) your final form is some Joseph Campbell shit. It allows you to take stock and reflect on how your journey has changed you.  

Dishonored opened with Corvo’s return to Dunwall in a cutscene where you're on a small boat as it enters a canal lock (which is like an elevator for boats). You are fed exposition from other characters during that sequence.  

Dunwall-Tower.jpg

The first mission

Return-to-the-tower-3.png

Return to Dunwall Tower

In the sixth mission of the game you return to that canal lock. You are dropped off at the base and must climb it using your stealth abilities. I really enjoyed this. The canal lock was always designed for you to be able to infiltrate it later in the game but the player has the illusion that they are mastering their powers of traversal all by themselves.

Very soon after that you’re tasked with getting from the top of the canal lock into Dunwall Tower (which houses the throne and your target - the Lord Regent, usurper, who sits upon it). Assuming that you’re attempting this with stealth at the outset of this level, you manoeuvre through an area under the watch of many patrolling guards. That area was where Emily taught you the game's stealth mechanics during the tutorial. Now you’re an expert at it as you push through that same location with ease. 

Dunwall Tower is a tall, imposing building of grey stone. It is decorated with large red banners which are clearly emulating a regime familiar to anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of events of our own 20th century. 

Return-to-the-Tower.jpg

The propaganda machine of Dishonored’s fictional dystopia has been a noticeable feature of the atmosphere of Dunwall throughout the game; speakers and alarms are audible on every street. A feature that I loved is the non-lethal method of deposing the Lord Regent in this level. You find the propaganda master in a room in Dunwall Tower and, if you find the Lord Regent’s audio diary by cracking his personal safe, you can bring that diary to the propaganda master’s room to broadcast it throughout the city. As it turns out, the Lord Regent had recorded an admission that he’d loosed the plague on Dunwall’s slums to affect his rise to power. 

I love that the propaganda master is the only character without a name. Maybe that is a comment on the role of a media mouthpiece in distributing what they’re told (rather than what they personally want to tell). 

He is so critical to the stability of the Lord Regent’s hold of power that he is holed up in the inner sanctum of the Lord Regent's stronghold where he is even more secure than almost all others in the Lord Regent's rank and file - he works only 50 metres from the Lord Regent's bedroom. If you choose the non-lethal option, the Lord Regent is undone by the same technology that assisted his rise and strengthening of power. 

Dishonored-Definitive-Edition-20220525093219.jpg

The Flooded District, The Loyalists, The Light at the End 

The betrayal that sparks the third act is a little predictable but I think my suspicions of what was likely to happen added to the tension. I think this was planned by Arkane Studios. 

A great touch at the outset of the final level is how Sam treats you. He’s been your personal Uber for the game and I liked how he either shames you or gives you a pep-up when you say goodbye - or worse!

Sam-is-an-Uber.png

"Very reliable and punctual, but judgy, and he gave my position away when I wanted to attempt stealth in a final mission. ???✴️✴️."

The more I look back on this game, the more I recall enjoying the story portions. The characters, tone and lore were my favourite aspects... but that's not going to stop me taking the absolute piss out of it!

Guards.png

The Dunwall Trials 

Well you’ll know that my opinion on this series is void once you read this:  

I loved the Dunwall Trials. 

The trials took the stealth, combat and traversal mechanics and separated them into challenges that put them under their own individual microscope. The player has to prove that they are masters of each of those disciplines within their own vacuums.   

I thoroughly enjoyed proving my parkour skills when racing a train and when assassinating baddies in the cascading void-waterfall.  

Kill rooms provided puzzles that were solved with a wide variety of kill techniques.  

Discovering the mystery target at a masquerade party by pickpocketing clues from other potential targets was a major highlight.  

When I finally perfected Back Alley Brawl I kept fighting to see how high of a combo I could get – and crashed the game!  

Sure... they were unreasonable... really unreasonable...  

Dunwall-Trials-trophies.png

... and some people would rather get pissed on...

Dishonored-Definitive-Edition-20220525202813.jpg

(yes, the guard is really pissing on my bed)

... than have to try to headshot this motherf?cker again...

Dishonored-Definitive-Edition-20220806220223.jpg

... but I liked the trials. :dunno:

The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches  

Spicy opinion: these DLC campaigns are overrated.  

I liked the opening levels of each of them. A Captain of Industry features a dockside factory at sunset:

1-5-Mission-Sunset.jpg

And A Stay of Execution for Lizzy requires you to infiltrate the prison that Corvo had escaped from at the beginning of Dishonored so that you can bust someone else out. 

... but the plot and characters were much less interesting than the main campaign in my opinion. 

Playing as Jessamine Kaldwin’s assassin was an interesting premise but I couldn’t relate to him. The antagonist is Delilah Copperspoon who I think is the least interesting main character in the series AND the one with the poorest dialogue and voice acting. 

Dishonored-2-20220822204217.jpg

Dishonored 2:

A Long Day in Dunwall  

Imagine my disappointment, then, upon learning that the premise for the sequel is that Delilah Copperspoon is usurping Emily Kaldwin’s throne. 

Set about a dozen years after the first game, Dishonored 2 features a chance for players to embody an adult Empress Emily unless they wish to return to the familiar shoes of her father, Corvo Attano, Protector to the Crown. 

Dishonored 2 opens almost immediately on Delilah’s surprise visit to Emily’s throne room. Without any build up, Delilah announces a claim to the throne and uses a supernatural power to freeze Emily (or Corvo, if you decided to play as Emily) in place then and there. 

This really put me offside to the game from the get-go.  

Delilah is given zero introduction to players who haven’t played the DLC from the first game.  

The scene is lacking in dramatic build up or tension. 

Emily is supposedly beloved by the people of her Empire according to the epilogue of Dishonored 1 and an indication of loyalty from one of her guards at the commencement of Dishonored 2. And yet, her protective detail are either immediately killed or they turn against her upon Delilah’s announcement that she is the lawful heir to the throne. 

Delilah brought four robotic guards with her (called “clockwork soldiers” within the game) which are designed to look immediately threatening and sophisticated. How Corvo allowed four versions of General Grievous to enter the throne room beggars belief. 

Opening.png

Another usurper for my collection!

Delilah.png

Delilah and Joel from The Last of Us Corvo

And! Delilah uses her powers to freeze Emily (or Corvo) in place instead of just... killing them. This gives the survivor an overarching narrative goal of freeing their loved one, and I think that it was a strange contrivance on which to base the game’s premise. 

Your character then decides against remaining in Dunwall to rally support from the apparently-adoring populace. They instead decide to leave the region by boat to visit Karnaca, a Mediterranean setting where Corvo was born, to find a means to fight Delilah, even though leaving would appear to legitimise Delilah's claim to the throne and increase her standing with the people of the Empire. 

Dishonored-2-20220831085352.jpg

Karnaca

Edge of the World & The Good Doctor 

Much like D1, the first act of the sequel is also the slowest, least visually appealing and lacking in dramatic tension. 

Your first target in Karnaca is the Crown Killer – an assassin who has been eliminating Emily’s political opponents (probably a means for Delilah to undermine Emily’s standing by framing Corvo). 

You actually find the Crown Killer almost immediately in proportion to the length of the game. This surprised me as I expected it be a major plot arc. The Crown Killer is doing a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde shtick but conveniently invented and created the cure just before you arrived – all you have to do to collect the one last thing in the adjacent room filled with baddies. 

Bloodflies.jpg

The Clockwork Mansion 

The fourth mission is where Dishonored 2 finds its footing. Experiencing this level (and the level A Crack in the Slab) are worth the game’s price of admission. 

Level design that provides a foundation for emergent gameplay is this series’ primary feature.  

This level is well known throughout the gaming industry. The devs who designed it and brought it to life will use it as core example of their résumés for the rest of their careers. 

The mansion itself is actually halfway into the level. It is the residence of a grand inventor, who, like all geniuses, feature complex eccentricities and nuance to their personality. This inventor, Kirin Jindosh, is the inventor of the Clockwork Soldiers (who bolster the ranks of guards within the mansion), and he is your next target. 

The mansion is best described as a really pretty version of that low-budget Saw-clone: Cube. Or... the inside of a Transformer or a Rubik’s Cube... but... a mansion. ?

Clockwork-Mansion-gif.gif

The rooms move and change if you pull corresponding levers that are sprinkled across the map. 

Some of them are on rotating platforms like a hidden door behind a bookcase from a Scooby-Doo cartoon; pull a lever to rotate a bed away and step into a bath. 

Some rooms are elevators without doors. Pull a lever and another room will rise up from the floor or descend from the roof. 

Some rooms just have walls that retract away like a theatre curtain to reveal that the room is much deeper. 

Clockwork-Mansion-example.png

This is all fantastic, but the real treat is being able to squeeze into the gaps between rooms mid-transition to enter the bowels of the mansion. That’s half of the real x-factor of this level: the secret corridors, maintenance ways and areas accessed by maids and cooks are perfectly viable arteries for you to explore just like the warm, bright and lavish parts of the mansion that a guest would usually see. The maintenance corridors and ‘guts’ of the mansion are cold, grey and dimly lit like the security hallways of a hotel or casino or the crew quarters of a cruise ship. 

The other half of what makes this level special is how the moving parts of the level are designed to look like they would actually work mechanically. Looking in the corners of a room reveals that the retracting walls appear to be on rails with working pulleys and gears, AND they’re designed as if they would exist in real life: with subtlety. If this existed in real life, the mechanical details would be hidden in corners or behind curtains, and that’s how the Clockwork Mansion is designed too. It is completely opposed to a normal video game illusion where a hidden room would load and de-load if you pressed a corresponding lever. It is GREAT.   

Clockwork-gif.gif

The mansion itself has flow and a logical layout. The foyer unfolds and opens up to quadruple in size in a complex way that stuns the player and would impress guests arriving for the first time. 

The core of the house opens up for arriving guests but it’s also the moment where players are given the most freedom to explore without linear pathing. 

Clockwork soldiers patrol the house from intruders and as a demonstration to visiting clients and purchasers. 

A puzzle room is tucked away in the depths of the residence to imprison a character that you’re rescuing as a side mission.  

The design philosophy of the Immersive Sim is very well represented on a micro scale in the Clockwork Mansion. Kudos to the developers for bringing such a fantastic idea to life. 

A Crack in the Slab 

This level takes place in a rundown and decrepit mansion that prevents you from using your powers. Instead, you’re given a device that allows you to go back in time to a period years in the past when the mansion was lived in, maintained and host to a deployment of guards. You flit in and out of each of these two times at your own will with the aid of that device.  

Timepiece-1.jpg

Fins protrude upwards from the timepiece which depict what is happening in the other timeline. This is the inspired touch that makes the level special.

You are required to move four-dimensionally to reach you target. By that, I mean that a room may be locked, so you would go into the past to enter that room because the door is unlocked in that moment in time. In the subsequent room you might then be faced with a dead end, but returning to the future where the mansion is in disrepair may reveal a hole in a wall that you could use to progress. 

Timepiece-2.jpg

Guards patrol this mansion. Maybe you visit the past as a means of stealth to prevent them seeing you when they turn around.  

I liked a puzzle in this level where a basement room had been flooded. You have to find a crank that will drain the room in one time and use it in the other. 

It’s a really cool level and if you were to tell me that you think it’s better than the Clockwork Mansion than you’d at least have an ear over here that’ll hear you, but I preferred the work of the mad genius Kirin Jindosh earlier in the game. 

The Grand Palace 

I enjoyed this one a lot, too. 

Your target is Duke Luca Abele. He is thoroughly disliked by his charges because the Duke treats them poorly.  

He lives in a gorgeous seaside villa (come on, can Arkane Games just design me a dream home already?!) and is hosting a party (which also seems to be a common thread with this series).

Grand-Palace.jpg

Grand-Palace-2.jpg

Infiltrating the Mediterranean residence is only the start of your troubles.  

The Duke has a body double as a way to guard himself from would-be assassins. The Duke's staff treat him and the double equally well, but only the Duke’s most trusted guards know who is real: the real Duke wears a special medallion and the double is a smoker.

Your character wants the best for the people who live in Corvo’s home town. The non-lethal way to complete this level is to convince the double that he should take over the role as the Duke and govern the people fairly. You then have to pickpocket the medallion from the real Duke and give it to the double. The double will have the real Duke arrested 

Duke.png

This is the penultimate level. I don't think that the last level is particularly special. This moment with the Duke highlights the absence of an emotional soul in Dishonored 2. Emily is an Empress but she is sneaking about the shadows in the underbelly of her empire. This game should be overflowing in character development with such a massive shift in what this character is experiencing: she believed she was beloved by her people but look at her now as she hides under a fishmonger’s table to avoid royal guards and pickpockets singular coins from the poor. Nothing real comes from these experiences. Threatening a body double in a two-line piece of dialogue that you’ll return if he isn’t up to scratch is all we get.

Where is the change in who Emily is and how she will govern her people upon her return to power 

Ultimately: Dishonored 2 had two really great things going for it:

1) It is GORGEOUS.

Dishonored-2-20220831215731.jpg

Dishonored-2-20221110074200.jpg

Dishonored-Death-of-the-Outsider-20221122005458.jpg

2) The tactical depth in the stealth and combat paved the way for emergent gameplay. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise: the combat in this game is, at least on an intellectual level, very well put together. Stringing together strange combinations is only limited by your creativity. For example: you may not be able to throw a springrazor at an enemy, but you can sure attach it to a dead body, or dismembered limbs, or other objects, and throw those instead. ?

Dishonored-2-20221101231007.jpg

Left, right, up, back, forwards... where do you want to go? What do you want to do?

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider: 

I am convinced that this game was originally set to be DLC for Dishonored 2. Not only is it shorter by a significant margin, but it's a spin-off that uses characters from Dishonored 1’s DLC - Billie Lurk and Daud.

Dreadful-wale-concept01.png

The Dreadful Wale - a small base of operations for the protagonists of D2 and D2.5.

'Dreadful Wale' - an anagram for 'Farewell Daud.'

Turning DLC into a standalone game and retailing it for 60-75% of the value of a major instalment for an IP is not a foreign concept. Just ask Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Ratchet and Clank: A Quest for Booty and Halo 3: ODST 

I don’t think that Dishonored 2.5 has much to offer the series. With the exception of one level (The Bank Job), I was stagnant with to franchise fatigue and didn’t enjoy my time. 

Bank-Job.jpg

The Bank Job

The signature Arkane Studios’ immersive sim brilliance remains; the abilities available to you are given fresh reworks and they are still lockstep with the vertical, open and complex level designs to give you remarkable freedom to play your way... but I really only appreciate this on an intellectual level.  

I didn’t connect with the narrative, the characters or their motivations. 

You play as Billie Lurk – right hand to Daud, the Knife of Dunwall – and she just does nothing for me. I dismissed the plights of Billie and Daud with an upturned nose and indifference that would have sufficiently disguised me for entry into a party at Lady Boyle’s manor. 

They seek to kill the Outsider: the supernatural personality that granted different powers to Corvo, Emily, Daud, Billie and Delilah just to see what would happen 

The-Outsider.png

Don't you think The Outsider looks a bit like...

Dude-where-s-my-whale-oil.png

Dude, where's my bone charms?

The Outsider’s decision to bestow you with powers is the catalyst for each of these characters’ deciding (through you as the player) how to use those powers - be it for good, morally dubious or outright evil acts – and that is the essence of the metric that determines what type of ending you receive: chaos 

But killing him is just not an interesting story and the motivations aren’t relatable.

My favourite part of the game was stumbling across a self-portrait of Duke Luca Abele in a nod to that character's poor painting ability, his narcissism, and the meta of hunting Sokolov's paintings as collectibles:

Painting.png

Trophy talk: 

I think that I played these games in a way that they weren’t supposed to be played. Following the trophy paths didn’t give me the chance to actually make my own decisions. I either leant into the full chaos run where everybody dies, or the stealth run where you can’t ever be seen and you have to eliminate your targets by non-lethal means. 

This meant that I couldn’t make judgement on a target-by-target basis or even weigh up actions on a guard-by-guard basis. 

I think that playing without trophies would have led to myself attempting to stay as stealthy as possible until inevitably being detected, and then dancing on that line of killing where necessary to facilitate a way to get back into stealth. I think that’s how the average gamer would approach these games and I think it would have been more fun.

Playing this way would be aligned with the central crux of the stories: if you're an underdog that receives dark powers, how exactly do you use them? How far do you go before you’re just as bad as those who hold power over you?  

The rebels in Dishonored 1 gained power one decision at a time. They stepped further down the road from honourable courage to corrupted evil at a rapid rate.

Your journeys as the playable characters are just like them in that way... and that’s the exact conundrum that the Outsider is using to test you. 

When dishonoured by forces outside of your control, do you embrace the title or flee from it? 

Reviewing this series made me feel like I was looking at four different sandwiches believing that there’s one really good sandwich in here - if only I could rearrange them and mix and match.

I wish I could gut the best levels out of them all and throw them into the purpose built engine of D2. I’d keep D2's choice of maintaining voice acted commentary throughout the missions (absent in D1) but use D1's characters.

D1’s story was the only one I was invested in because of the characters and their motivations. It had tension and gravitas. 

D1 relied on the best parts of the lore in the world building: a plague and political intrigue in a propagandised dystopia. 

D2 had some really interesting nuggets of ideas: Emily’s descent into the underbelly of her empire, Duke Abele’s replacement by a lookalike, a return to Corvo’s home... but none of these ideas were expanded upon or weaponised for any effect. 

D2 had the most gorgeous graphical style.  

The Dunwall Trials gave me opportunities to really test my skills with Corvo’s powers.

... The unfortunate thing is that I’d throw the rest of those metaphorical sandwiches into the bin. 

Half of the people who read this checklist enjoy this series... but I can’t push my scores for these games through the glass ceilings that I kept bumping up against. 

:platinum: #117 (PS4) Dishonored: Definitive Edition, 8/10 

:platinum: #122 (PS4) Dishonored 2, 8/10 

:platinum: #127 (PS4) Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, 6.5/10 

Mask.png

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Arkane Studios: Part 1

The Dishonored Trilogy

L789d3a.pngL6170fc.pngL5f8e5b.png

Arid-Mindless-Ekaltadeta-max-1mb.gif

Steampunk? No. Dieselpunk? Nope. 

It turns out that these subgenres of science fiction are partially defined by the substance that causes the society's technological advance. 

Oh! Whalespunk.  

Nailed it. 

tumblr-de26d6bdda7bbdf4d1e08dbe54062626-

Dishonored: Definitive Edition:

You find the finished painting after progressing through two levels while hunting collectibles. If you had taken the health potion during the opening sequence then it won’t be in the painting, and vice versa.  

High-Overseer-Painting-1.png

This is a perfect metaphor for how the game adapts in subtle ways to the endless amount of microchoices that you make in this series. It might actually be the first decision available to the player. Player choice, something I don’t value as highly as, say, interesting lore, is clearly prioritised by Arkane Studios in their gameplay. If it sounds like my priorities are backwards then this game is probably right for you. 

Man - I love stuff like this - I don't even remember if I noticed this one - but that's a compliment to the series - because there's enough of those kind of moments, that you start almost not noticing them, because the world is adapting seamlessly around you!

The propaganda machine of Dishonored’s fictional dystopia has been a noticeable feature of the atmosphere of Dunwall throughout the game; speakers and alarms are audible on every street. A feature that I loved is the non-lethal method of deposing the Lord Regent in this level. You find the propaganda master in a room in Dunwall Tower and, if you find the Lord Regent’s audio diary by cracking his personal safe, you can bring that diary to the propaganda master’s room to broadcast it throughout the city. As it turns out, the Lord Regent had recorded an admission that he’d loosed the plague on Dunwall’s slums to affect his rise to power. 

...like the ones around this dude!

That's actually the dude - the propaganda master - who, if you kill, then carry on, there's a clearly less practiced female voice that takes over - who is an uncredited Carrie Fisher!

I have a bit of a fetish for when games, either with or without fanfare, allow you to stumble into the tutorial areas when you’re nearing the end of a game. Returning to those locations when you’ve reached (or are approaching) your final form is some Joseph Campbell shit. It allows you to take stock and reflect on how your journey has changed you.  

Dishonored opened with Corvo’s return to Dunwall in a cutscene where you're on a small boat as it enters a canal lock (which is like an elevator for boats). You are fed exposition from other characters during that sequence.  

I think I share this fetish - and it's awesome!

It's actually surprising more games don't do it well - after all, it's cutting down on the locations required to be built if you're re-using a future one for the tutorial... but it has a great effect when done right. I guess it's kind of the "grown-up" version of the old Uncharted thing - where you will be walking into some ruin, and it's all quiet, and going, hmmm.... there's a lot of cover here for a section with no enemies...

.... then 20 minutes later, you're gun-toting and shooting your way back out when the bad guys descend!

A great touch at the outset of the final level is how Sam treats you. He’s been your personal Uber for the game and I liked how he either shames you or gives you a pep-up when you say goodbye - or worse!

Sam-is-an-Uber.png

"Very reliable and punctual, but judgy, and he gave my position away when I wanted to attempt stealth in a final mission. 1f31f.png1f31f.png1f31f.png2734.png2734.png."

He does get awfully judgemental to a high chaos Corvo! 

Hey, guy? 

Just drive the boat, and don't get us dead, 'kay?

I don't need your condescension!

The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches  

Spicy opinion: these DLC campaigns are overrated.  

I liked the opening levels of each of them. A Captain of Industry features a dockside factory at sunset:

And A Stay of Execution for Lizzy requires you to infiltrate the prison that Corvo had escaped from at the beginning of Dishonored so that you can bust someone else out. 

... but the plot and characters were much less interesting than the main campaign in my opinion. 

So, I don't necessarily agree it's overrated - but I agree it's not on the level of the main campaign. I still look at those DLCs are one of the great ones - but that's judging in comparison to other DLC offerings, not necessarily compared to the base games.

I'd still put it up there with things like Shadowbroker, Undead Nightmare and Minerva's Den...

...but really, the biggest thing with these is how they work within the overall trilogy - being the basis for some of D2, and a LOT of Death of the Outsider.

Dishonored 2:

The Clockwork Mansion 

A Crack in the Slab 

The Grand Palace 

Man, it's mental that all those levels are in such close proximity in that game - I'd genuinely contend that all three - Clockwork and Crack in the Slab in particular - would be contenders to place in "coolest levels in all games"!

2) The tactical depth in the stealth and combat paved the way for emergent gameplay. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise: the combat in this game is, at least on an intellectual level, very well put together. Stringing together strange combinations is only limited by your creativity. For example: you may not be able to throw a springrazor at an enemy, but you can sure attach it to a dead body, or dismembered limbs, or other objects, and throw those instead. 1f603.png

Word ☝️

This is what I love about these games the most. Actually, it tends to be what I love in most games the most...

...and I do know what you allude to with the trophies later as a result.

The thing with games like Dishonoured and Prey, for me, is that a lot of the time, there's so many cool ways to combine mechanics etc. that really, doing the full platinum run is best looked at as an extended training for some of the things that can be done...

...but in a lot of cases, the playthrough that comes outside of trophies - either blind, just-for-fun, or post-platinum, are the most interesting, because you've learned all the trophy-related stuff, and you start combining your own ways of doing things... and aren't beholden to play any particular way to get a clean hands, or a pacifist trophy etc.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider: 

You play as Billie Lurk – right hand to Daud, the Knife of Dunwall – and she just does nothing for me. I dismissed the plights of Billie and Daud with an upturned nose and indifference that would have sufficiently disguised me for entry into a party at Lady Boyle’s manor. 

They seek to kill the Outsider: the supernatural personality that granted different powers to Corvo, Emily, Daud, Billie and Delilah just to see what would happen 

This is...

...sort of true.

I mean, really, it's "vengeance" - and relatively undirected vengeance, since they don't really know what part the Outsider played in everything... but it does feel lesser, by comparison to the earier games, where there was always clear, obvious and rock solid motives, from "generally good" characters.

Reviewing this series made me feel like I was looking at four different sandwiches believing that there’s one really good sandwich in here - if only I could rearrange them and mix and match.

I wish I could gut the best levels out of them all and throw them into the purpose built engine of D2. I’d keep D2's choice of maintaining voice acted commentary throughout the missions (absent in D1) but use D1's characters.

D1’s story was the only one I was invested in because of the characters and their motivations. It had tension and gravitas. 

D1 relied on the best parts of the lore in the world building: a plague and political intrigue in a propagandised dystopia. 

D2 had some really interesting nuggets of ideas: Emily’s descent into the underbelly of her empire, Duke Abele’s replacement by a lookalike, a return to Corvo’s home... but none of these ideas were expanded upon or weaponised for any effect. 

D2 had the most gorgeous graphical style.  

The Dunwall Trials gave me opportunities to really test my skills with Corvo’s powers.

... The unfortunate thing is that I’d throw the rest of those metaphorical sandwiches into the bin. 

Half of the people who read this checklist enjoy this series... but I can’t push my scores for these games through the glass ceilings that I kept bumping up against. 

:platinum: #117 (PS4) Dishonored: Definitive Edition, 8/10 

:platinum: #122 (PS4) Dishonored 2, 8/10 

:platinum: #127 (PS4) Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, 6.5/10 

I mean...

I obviously like all threegame more than you, and I do think D2 is superior to D1.... but actually, I can't really take issue with the spread. 

I wonder if my D2 love came more from paying primarily as Emily? I know you went Corvo first, whereas I did pretty much every playthrough as Emily, with just one as Corvo, I think - and when I've replayed, it's usually as Emily - mostly just because of the different flavour of powers.

Anyways - sterling write-up!

A trip down memory lane, and laughs, and insight, and great writing... what's not to love?!

Nice work, m'dude!

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 4:45 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Man - I love stuff like this - I don't even remember if I noticed this one - but that's a compliment to the series - because there's enough of those kind of moments, that you start almost not noticing them, because the world is adapting seamlessly around you!

I'm sure you picked up on it and then let it fade away because of all the other cool stuff about the series. ?

That's actually the dude - the propaganda master - who, if you kill, then carry on, there's a clearly less practiced female voice that takes over - who is an uncredited Carrie Fisher!

OH YEAH! You told me about this (or I read it in your review) aaaaaaaaggges ago but forgot. That's a cool fact!

It's actually surprising more games don't do it well - after all, it's cutting down on the locations required to be built if you're re-using a future one for the tutorial... but it has a great effect when done right. I guess it's kind of the "grown-up" version of the old Uncharted thing - where you will be walking into some ruin, and it's all quiet, and going, hmmm.... there's a lot of cover here for a section with no enemies...

.... then 20 minutes later, you're gun-toting and shooting your way back out when the bad guys descend!

Mmhmm. ?

I had a thought the other day: when I've got about 20 or 30 games in the scoring range of 8-10/10, I should tally up how many of those games take me back to the tutorial at some stage. Hypothesis: It will be more than 75% of them. 

I think there will be a correlation between

A) developers that do this as a storytelling technique to force self-reflection on your journey, and

B) games that have a great story and/or arc for the main character (which we know is a large factor in how I score games).

I think that I can be objective enough to completely forget that I made this hypothesis until I stumble across re-reading this comment in the future and tally up the games then.

The technique surely does cut down on a portion of a development time, yes, but I attribute that sort of time-saving to methods such as implementing multiplayer maps into single player (ie doing it on a larger scale than just the tutorial).

And I can't help but wonder - after seeing this video from a channel that I expect you would enjoy - how many tutorials are actually made in the beginning of a game rather than towards the end when the devs have a clearer idea about what game they're making (and how to introduce you to it).

He does get awfully judgemental to a high chaos Corvo! 

Hey, guy? 

Just drive the boat, and don't get us dead, 'kay?

I don't need your condescension!

RIGHT?! Felt like such a slap in the face.

When he did that I was like

shocked-offended.gif

and then I turned around to see the enemies, and by the time I turned around again to give Sam the stinkiest eye he'd ever see, he was already paddling away into the darkness. Couldn't do anything about it - never felt more like I didn't want the protagonist to be silent. 

So, I don't necessarily agree it's overrated - but I agree it's not on the level of the main campaign. I still look at those DLCs are one of the great ones - but that's judging in comparison to other DLC offerings, not necessarily compared to the base games.

Yeah you said it better than I did. Don't know that I'd put it up with Undead Nightmare, but you make a fair point. I'd put it there with Minerva's Den, though, sure. I was going to a DLC ranking post one day... again: notes to future Vice: break the mould!

Man, it's mental that all those levels are in such close proximity in that game - I'd genuinely contend that all three - Clockwork and Crack in the Slab in particular - would be contenders to place in "coolest levels in all games"!

Uh-huh. I remember you made a post once: your favourite... 25 (?) levels in gaming? I remember that it was chock-full of Hitman 3 and had... two (?) Dishonored levels? I'll have to dig that post up to look, but I remember Clockwork Mansion scored highly. Was the other A Crack in the Slab?

The thing with games like Dishonoured and Prey, for me, is that a lot of the time, there's so many cool ways to combine mechanics etc. that really, doing the full platinum run is best looked at as an extended training for some of the things that can be done...

...but in a lot of cases, the playthrough that comes outside of trophies - either blind, just-for-fun, or post-platinum, are the most interesting, because you've learned all the trophy-related stuff, and you start combining your own ways of doing things... and aren't beholden to play any particular way to get a clean hands, or a pacifist trophy etc.

Yeah, interesting takeaway. Prey will score highly here, by the way. Much higher than the Dishonored games. I really loved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

This is...

...sort of true.

I mean, really, it's "vengeance" - and relatively undirected vengeance, since they don't really know what part the Outsider played in everything... but it does feel lesser, by comparison to the earier games, where there was always clear, obvious and rock solid motives, from "generally good" characters.

I read what you wrote and then re-read what I wrote. I mispoke! I don't mean that the characters targeted the Outsider just to see what would happen, but I was paraphrasing what the Outsider said was his motivation to bestow the powers on all of the characters: he was doing it just to see what would happen. He is a catalyst for chaos in the Isles which is - surely without coincidence - how we are measured at the end of the games and therefore what ending cutscenes you receive. How much chaos you inflict upon the world when under pressure is a key theme in these games (at least that was a major takeaway for me).

I wonder if my D2 love came more from paying primarily as Emily? I know you went Corvo first, whereas I did pretty much every playthrough as Emily, with just one as Corvo, I think - and when I've replayed, it's usually as Emily - mostly just because of the different flavour of powers.

Yeah okay. I did the ghost/clean hands run as Emily first because I wanted to experience it from her point of view (as I hoped for more character-related stuff) and then I wanted to go hard and body the masses with Corvo's (familiar) powers. In hindsight this was a mistake for me. I should have done it the other way around.

Anyways - sterling write-up!

A trip down memory lane, and laughs, and insight, and great writing... what's not to love?!

Nice work, m'dude!

Thanks dood ??

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Oh no... The Last of Us Part II a 9? Shhheeeeeeeesh...

Please feel free to read the review and talk about it. If you disagree with something, I am happy to open a discussion. I think my opinion on it is fairly nuanced... as I'd hope anyone else's would be.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:50 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

16A

Series: Call of Duty

67ee53382b032347221c83c35f25cdfb958b6ac0

Donuts.jpg

Your character and his squad almost immediately jump onto the back of a truck from a forward command post to the front of an ongoing battle. The Sergeant says, “men: we were supposed to be enjoying coffee and donuts this afternoon, but the Germans drank all the coffee and ate all the donuts. Now we have to kick their asses.” 

"We thought their antics were all in good fun.. BUT THEN THEY TOOK IT TOO FAR!!"

I never took much interest in CoD before the MW games, and from reading this I can see I'm not missing out on much! However...

World at War also benefits from a fantastic attention to detail: 

• Sergeant Sullivan dies early in the campaign. Of your squad, Sullivan was the most adept in battle. The next soldier in the chain of command is Corporal Roebuck. His rank changes from Corporal to Sergeant as soon as Sullivan receives his mortal wound. Not only was Sullivan just as expendable as anyone else but he was also replaced instantly and without fanfare. 

• In Burn Em Out, subjecting some enemy forces to your flamethrower will cause them to shout in Indonesian, not Japanese. In reality, Imperial Japan had recently liberated Indonesia from the Dutch, and some of the Japanese forces in the Pacific were bolstered by conscripted Indonesians. 

• The last level against the Germans introduces a new enemy skin: members of Hitler’s SS. Some of them are sporting bandages from prior injuries. You have penetrated deep into enemy territory, indeed. 

• Likewise, the last level against the Japanese introduces a new enemy skin: some soldiers have glasses. I infer from this that the Japanese infantry were so depleted after such heavy fighting that they had loosened their recruitment restrictions (again: this detail is pulled from documented history).

This kind of stuff is so underrated, and really helps me to see what the appeal was with World at War.

Medal of Honor: Frontline 

Damn you, Vice!!

Back in the Maybe pile with you, Frontline....

Given how I've still got CoD WWII ahead of me, I'd really like to have something this thoughtful and creatively rich under my belt first. The substance-packed indie flick before the loud and mindless Michael Bay production, if you will.

The final negative that must be documented is how difficult the game is on hard mode. I really underestimated it when looking at the rarity: "only about 40% of those who beat the game did it a second time on the hard difficulty, that’s actually remarkably high. How hard can it be?" I said 

Trophies.jpg

How wrong I was. 

I managed it in the end but there was a good three or four levels where I thought "ok, this must be the top of the difficulty spike" and was stunned to find that it just got harder. It was less about cheap shit’ and more because the maximum degree of skill that can even be applied is bottlenecked by the clunky controls, plus the lack of regenerating health (including between levels!) and a lack of a checkpoint system. You have to beat each level without dying AND with enough health to enter the subsequent stage with a confidence that you won’t die to an increasing difficulty spike. 

While this does seem like a pretty rough slog, in a weird way it would offer the challenge I thought I'd be getting with the Medal of Honor reboot. It wouldn't be in the most ideal way, but you gotta love a completion you can be proud of!

Though really, the most intimidating part is that I'd have to write about it, and this piece here is already the top dawg?

On 3/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

16B

PART 2: MODERN WARFARE 

20230129-183000.jpg

tumblr_nstr7qeqTy1u7un4fo3_250.gif

I can’t find any reliable sources of information for Activision/Infinity Ward being paid by the US Government for this series (except IW’s admission that they sought advice from soldiers for details such as “how to breach and clear” or how different firearms behave) so I can’t say for sure that Modern Warfare is genuine propaganda, but the pro-war stance of these games that are set in a controversial conflict does make me question whether they could be. In the end, I believe that Infinity Ward just believe that ‘war can be cool’ regardless of our opinions on the matter. Sales for the series show that it is definitively clear that Infinity Ward knew that war is interesting to young males. 

I mean... even if it wasn't government commissioned, these games are still on some serious war dick, ain't nobody can contest that. For all of MW1's surprising depth, that shit never failed to be a turn off.

The most crucial aspect about what makes Modern Warfare (and MW2) so popular, so engaging and so essential is not because of any special adherence to realism. It is that the situations that the game puts you in are urgent and you feel like you matter. You are a precision cog in a well-oiled machine that repeatedly crashes through, over or under the obstacles that are thrown at you due to your precise application of aggression and grit. This is the foundation that the crisp gunplay and fantastically committed voice acting build upon to form a golden triangle of irreplaceable features that make MW1 (and MW2) so gripping.

REAL TALK. I was so surprised at how hooked I was when playing MW1 (and 2019, for that matter). That sense of urgency is everything! There's always something happening, there's always weight to your actions and there's always a sense of pressure that you're keeping up with your partners and carrying your own weight. Well put, sir!

And then there’s ‘All Ghillied Up.’ One word: iconic. In tone and atmosphere? Impeccable. I especially loved the very beginning where you think you’re alone and then MacMillan stands up in his ghillie suit and you realise that you must be that invisible too. Hitting the deck as a Russian squad passes over you was crazy! 

The stealth going spectacularly to shit angle is done so well here, a very deserving shout?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 

When the PS4 version of the single player campaign was released, I definitely thought about it, but now it looks like I have to. Put out a couple lines for me, Infinity Ward!

You know what cures the violent rolling of your eyes at the action movie-ification of this series? Opening yourself to it. Don’t be a hater; get on the rollercoaster. MW2 cranks it all the way up to 11.

Yes. Dumb fun done well is a unique joy!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare [2019] 

This game gives an extremely poor first impression. And when I say first impression, I mean it. I’m talking about the nightmare that is getting this game to start. In any story, the first 10 minutes should introduce the viewer to the main character, who/what/where/when they are and overview the premise. I spent 10 minutes in MW2019’s menus: 

• filling out the size of the screen,  

• reading through two separate 3-page terms and conditions,  

• signing up (compulsory) to Activision.net or whatever the fuck it was (as if I trust their security with privacy – one of the most hated companies in the world that would genuinely take advantage of me AND ALSO who could be targeted by disenfranchised hackers),

• watching a 60 second teaser which made no sense at all (a dead character from Black Ops 2 dropping a coffin into a volcano...? What is this, Tekken?) 

• and then I finally get to the main menu and it tells me that the campaign isn’t even downloaded to my console. Only the multiplayer is downloaded. Oh, the game is doing me a favour, is it? It doesn’t want to take up all the harddrive space on my console with unnecessary modes that don’t encourage me to continue spending money on the game, is that right? The campaign, spec ops and other multiplayer add-ons only installed after I requested them to start downloading. 

• I made the necessary download requests only to find that the console needed my credit card info again... what the fuck, Activision?

I mentioned to Doc that I wished I'd mentioned how atrocious this experience was when I wrote about it... such a needless ordeal. Having said that, I was a big fan of the game itself as well!

‘Clean House,’ the fifth mission, is a standout highlight. It lasts for about ten minutes. It follows a systematic house clearance of a three-story terrorist headquarters in London. I can tell you that this level is appropriate for use as a teaching method for soldiers and police learning how to accomplish dangerous exercises like these. It has just enough of an element of realism that it can be perfectly applicable as a teaching tool about common errors and mistakes in executing raids; what not to do and how the occupants may behave. 

The thing about a house clearance is that you’re entering someone else’s castle. They have the upper hand. They know what every room looks like. They know where to hide and when and where to ambush you. They can be armed with unknown weapons. There are an unknown amount of people inside -- likely including women and children. Occupants become instantly terrified and act in unpredictable ways when masked men with guns invade their home. The raiding party will be subject to extreme scrutiny by superiors and the public by how they acted with split-second decisions. 

??????

1. Regarding Urkistani terrorists: Urzikstan’s bombing of Piccadilly Circus would be a legitimate reason for Britain/America to enter that country rather than ‘morally grey’ CIA Operations taking on all of the heavy lifting. 

1. Regarding acts by the Russians: the game describes a ‘Russian warcrime’ of the murder of multiple civilians on the Highway of Death. This is based on a real-world event that was committed by Americans. It is thoroughly perverse to alter history like this.  

1. Regarding Hadir’s use of a chemical agent: Hadir’s perspective is that he wants to utilise the chemical agent to liberate the people of Urzikstan from the occupation of Russian and American militaries who are treating its people as collateral damage in their proxy war. Hadir was exposed to this chemical as a child as his hometown was obliterated by this technique and he sees it as a legitimate tool to liberate his people. His cause is somewhat sympathetic. Meanwhile, the first five minutes of the first mission involves your squadmates calling in an airstrike on a military base that you’re about to assault. The airstrike carpet bombs the facility with white phospherous and you witness people being burnt to death. How is this different to what Hadir wants to do?  

White-Phosphorous.jpg

1. Regarding Farah’s torture: the playable character is invited to take part in a torture scenario in the third act. 

Agreed on all counts, with the Highway of Death flip being particularly bothersome. This could have easily been used as it happened and provided some great storytelling, maybe a thought provoking conflict that our clean cut heroes could have difficulty coming to terms with. Instead they happily take the standard American route of villanizing Russians and Arabs (or anyone in the Middle East, really). Not a good look!

What is going on with Alex in that final mission? What is that decision making during the conclusion? It was forced and unbelievable, not to mention unnecessary... the allies have access to superior weapons/airstrikes and Hadir can just... make more gas somewhere else... so, what was the point? 

Dude I felt the same way, it's just so sudden and frankly unearned. Alex was clearly meant for white savior status but jee-ZUZ. Really could've done without that.

The trophy hunt enhanced the experience: finish the campaign on the highest difficulty (which has actually been tested and balanced) and complete some other unique tasks that test the game’s systems or your individual ability; things like: 

• Completing half of a level with just a sidearm.

• Completing an exciting footchase while juggling 8 different weapons for kills as you’re on the run.  

• Carrying a cinderblock from the beginning of a level to the end.

BRUH. Could not agree more, this was one of my favorite parts of the experience. As it should be! May I humbly add the one where you make it through the pandemonium of Piccadilly Circus without shooting civilians? That was a huge immersion boost for me!

On 3/20/2023 at 8:55 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

16C

PART 3: BLACK OPS

20230129-183026.jpg

This is the exact inverse of me cursing your name for putting MW2 back in the wishlist and making room for Frontline in my backlog... thank you for reinforcing my lack of interest in the Black Ops games!

This is Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder:

Tropic-Thunder.png

This is the character Frank Woods from Black Ops:

Woods.jpg

I think I'm gonna choose to believe that this was a deliberate dig at players who take these games waaayyyy too seriously. It's extremely unlikely, but it makes me happy.

The idea of a AAA game releasing a mode where JFK (that’s John Fuckin Kennedy, to you), Nixon, McNamara and Castro attempting to survive waves of zombies in the pentagon together is so batshit stupid that it comes full circle to being a pretty good idea. 

But these ideas are overladen by a dreadful narrative premise that forced me to endure a failing interrogation where no one – not the interrogator, interrogatee or the player – knew the answers to the questions nor the stakes of what was at risk.

If Adult Swim made a war game, I could see it going something like that, and I'll be real, I'd buy that for a dollar. Also, the talk of nobody in an interrogation knowing answers or what's at risk made me think of this dude:

coin_toss_no_country_for_old_men.jpg?ito

Yeaahhh, this is as good a place as any to stop hoggin up real estate on your checklist. An outstanding job as always, homie?

Edited by YaManSmevz
Forgot to delete one of the quoted boxes, whoopssss
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 2:20 PM, YaManSmevz said:

"We thought their antics were all in good fun.. BUT THEN THEY TOOK IT TOO FAR!!"

? Those pesky Nazis. Hate it when they take it too far.

This kind of stuff is so underrated, and really helps me to see what the appeal was with World at War.

Yeah, 100%, it's great attention to detail but most players won't notice these things because they're buried under all of the Call of Duty. 

Damn you, Vice!!

Back in the Maybe pile with you, Frontline....

Given how I've still got CoD WWII ahead of me, I'd really like to have something this thoughtful and creatively rich under my belt first. The substance-packed indie flick before the loud and mindless Michael Bay production, if you will.

I thought you'd be keen to hear the thoughts on this one. Consider playing it through just for fun? Or putting the plat on the backburner for another year so that you can retain that positive experience instead of immediately overwriting it with Hard Difficulty. BTW: back in 2002, this was the Michael Bay production of its day. I think my PS2 copy has platinum box art (it was that popular). It was just overshadowed by the excessively dank releases that year (GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell, Warcraft 3, Metroid Prime, Hitman 2, Morrowind, NFS Hot Pursuit 2, Age of Mythology, Ratchet and Clank, Battlefield 1942, Tony Hawk 4, Timesplitters 2, LOTR 2, Wind Waker). 

Though really, the most intimidating part is that I'd have to write about it, and this piece here is already the top dawg1f60e.png

I'd be super keen for your POV even if it was scathing. Modern perspectives of this game are few and far in between.

I mean... even if it wasn't government commissioned, these games are still on some serious war dick, ain't nobody can contest that.

? ?

BRUH. Could not agree more, this was one of my favorite parts of the experience. As it should be! May I humbly add the one where you make it through the pandemonium of Piccadilly Circus without shooting civilians? That was a huge immersion boost for me!

Great level!!

This is the exact inverse of me cursing your name for putting MW2 back in the wishlist and making room for Frontline in my backlog... thank you for reinforcing my lack of interest in the Black Ops games!

I just don't see anything in those two games that are worth experiencing anymore in 2023 as an adult, especially if you know about the twist that I wrote about. You've got higher priorities than Blops in your wishlist!

If Adult Swim made a war game, I could see it going something like that, and I'll be real, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Sure - comedy? Yeah, chaos works like a charm. In this game? There's no dramatic tension at all because neither character nor the player knows what's going to happen. That scene in No Country for Old Men has tension because the audience knows the stakes even though neither the shop owner or Anton Chigurh know what the outcome of the coin toss will be. But I know you know all this. ?

Thanks for the love dude!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I saved this one for when I had the time to properly read, and you didn't disappoint! ?

An awesome issue of Vice, from which I gained two very important pieces of information:

1. You are right about every part of your Portal and Portal 2 assessments.
  2. I should play Bridge Constructor Portal!

The cake is a lie,

Yours sincerely,

DrB.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I went from not too interested in this game prior to really interested after reading your review! Seems like a unique game with a lot of character, and is what you'd expect a true role playing game to be like. So you've convinced me to actually pick this one up at some point to add to the ever growing backlog.

Nice write up by the way, I really like how you set out your reviews and obviously you make a lot of effort with it, it pays off. ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

This was... an experience. I mean that in the positive sense of the word. I’ve pulled three colleagues into this game and encourage gamers here to explore it too if it sounds interesting. It is unique. It is inspiring. It is unforgettable. It is ECCENTRIC. It is... DISCO ELYSIUM. 

:platinum: #133 (PS5) Disco Elysium, 9.5/10 

Well.... fuck.

I mean, I kinda already had a good hunch this game was amazing... but since I managed to fully fail to play it yet, even despite buying it on release day... I was kinda hoping you'd be like "yo, this sucks!" so I could justify my own failure, and not have another must-play on the old backlog!

Curse you Vice...

...that does, indeed, sound amazing.

How dare you sir.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

While writing up my next review I came to a realisation that I don't have much experience with 3D combat systems that don't involve guns or bows. Can anyone make some suggestions? I like the GoW systems, FromSoftware games and the many offshoots of WB Games' Arkham combat style (Batman, Shadow of Mordor, Mad Max etc).

Also: any recommendations for deck building games? I've got Inscryption and Slay the Spire in the backlog and then Deep Sky Derelicts, Nowhere Prophet and Griftlands on my radar, any others to watch out for? Any good ones on mobile devices? 

Thank you! ??

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Also: any recommendations for deck building games? I've got Inscryption and Slay the Spire in the backlog and then Deep Sky Derelicts, Nowhere Prophet and Griftlands on my radar, any others to watch out for? Any good ones on mobile devices? 

Thank you! 1f913.png1f44d.png

One I can’t exactly recommend, as I’ve not started it yet, but heard great things about and have ready to begin very shortly is Fights in Tight Spaces

…could give that a look, and if it appeals we could go nuts together trying to figure it out ?

• Like 1