A warning about saves

ChiefMichigan

I'd hear good things about this game, so I bought it today. I played for over an hour and got a trophy. I know there are several collectables and quests in the game. While I was saving and quitting, the game crashed. When I booted it back up, I lost my file. Perhaps manually uploading the data to the cloud before the crash would've helped, but I wouldn't have thought to do that. I kept seeing the save icon throughout the game and thought things were saving.

Be careful about saves when playing A Short Hike. It also seems tougher and longer to get the plat then I would've guessed, but I can't say how long or tough. Basically it's not EZPZ, if you were wondering. I might give the game another shot soon or sometime in the future, but I don't think I'll try to get the platinum. Might take too long or be too frustrating (the boat challenge in 45 seconds, for instance). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMichigan said:

It also seems tougher and longer to get the plat then I would've guessed, but I can't say how long or tough. Basically it's not EZPZ, if you were wondering. I might give the game another shot soon or sometime in the future, but I don't think I'll try to get the platinum. Might take too long or be too frustrating (the boat challenge in 45 seconds, for instance). 

Nothing is too difficult-- I was worried about the boat race as well, but my first attempt came in at 44 seconds, and that was with a 20 second penalty for running into things. One of the parkour races was tricky, but I didn't realize that there are upgrades that would have made it much easier. The hardest thing is probably getting 30 points in beachstickball for "Remember This Day Forever", but even that's not too bad once you get the hang of it; the time I finally broke 30, I made it all the way to 61. All in all it's a pretty straightforward 3-4 hour plat with minimal guide usage, less if you know what you're doing.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

Nothing is too difficult-- I was worried about the boat race as well, but my first attempt came in at 44 seconds, and that was with a 20 second penalty for running into things. One of the parkour races was tricky, but I didn't realize that there are upgrades that would have made it much easier. The hardest thing is probably getting 30 points in beachstickball for "Remember This Day Forever", but even that's not too bad once you get the hang of it; the time I finally broke 30, I made it all the way to 61. All in all it's a pretty straightforward 3-4 hour plat with minimal guide usage, less if you know what you're doing.

I could probably pull it off, since I already got the beachstickball trophy. Even if it's not that challenging of a plat at all (granted I suck), the saves are making me weary of trying a platinum run. 

3 hours ago, Xylobe said:

3-4 hour plat.  haha.  When I read the op, here was my interpretation "I saw a game with 11 golds and no bronzes and thought it would be a ezpz 5 minute plat.  It wasn't and I think it's too hard and don't wanna do it any more."

Edited by MrBeens
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrBeens said:

3-4 hour plat.  haha.  When I read the op, here was my interpretation "I saw a game with 11 golds and no bronzes and thought it would be a ezpz 5 minute plat.  It wasn't and I think it's too hard and don't wanna do it any more."

Except that wasn't much of an issue for me. It's more that the game crashed on me and has an annoying save system. If it was an EZPZ 5 minute to hour long game, it would still be worth complaining but you can still see what the game offers and get all the trophies quickly even if you lost your progress.

But yes, I thought it would be an even easier plat/completion than it is (given the small amount of trophies). But my complaint is the save system, and I'm telling others to keep it in mind. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RoaringMdog18 said:

Are the any missables? Game looks like something i'd like to play with no guide at first if possible. 

Almost all of them are missable on a playthrough if you end the story without going for them. You only get two trophies for completing the story and not going for the other things. There's not a guide specifically tailored to PS4 yet, but the Steam Achievements look the same. 

A Short Hike Achievement Guide

11 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

Almost all of them are missable on a playthrough if you end the story without going for them. You only get two trophies for completing the story and not going for the other things. There's not a guide specifically tailored to PS4 yet, but the Steam Achievements look the same. 

A Short Hike Achievement Guide

Ending the playthrough just saves and puts you back on the main menu, so you can continue on with no progress lost barring any crashes or glitches.

Edit: The Steam achievement list is the same now, but prior to today there were some differences that will be reflected in any guides. Namely the parkour trophy now only requires beating each race once rather than twice, and the "Not a Scratch," "Green Thumb," "Photo Friends," and "Only You Can Prevent Campfires" trophies are all new.

Edited by Xylobe
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First Attempt:

I got all but the fishing, toast, and watering plants trophy. When I did the sleep trophy there was an error and the game couldn't save. I risked it and figured I just not save and then continue the game, but no. The credits rolled and I ended up in the main menu with only an option to start a new game. Ugh.

Second and Third Attempt:

Started a new game and now everytime it goes to autosave there is an error and the only option is to retry and continue getting the error or don't save at all.

4th Attempt:

Decided to download and play it on PS5 and so far its working perfectly. No save issues at all. I can save and the main menu gives the option to continue game. Perhaps the save issue is a PS4 issue and not a PS5 issue.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...