[DELETED]

JFKing

I'm proposing an update...

I love the idea of liking a tip before you get the trophy, that's been recommended from time to time before and that would be nice!

Additionally, tips actually do go to the top of the list of tips based on the amount of likes it gets, the most liked tip shows up on the trophy guide page too! I would think adding an extra button for this would be unnecessary and then result in both buttons being less used. =/

Also, I don't know how much work this would require, but an "edit" button would be fantastic, and maybe if it's an issue of not adding an edit button because of the possibility of someone getting mad at the site or something and re-editing all of their tips to spam, then set a 24 hour edit limit on a tip, or maybe a 5 day edit limit or something like that, whatever's best  :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Furthermore, we could add a helpful button to rate whether or not you thought/think that tip could be potentially helpful.

I agree with your proposal except for 1 thing: rating a tip. That would just be abused by people who want their tip to be rated as the best. People who think a tip might be helpful shouldn't even be able to rate a tip before they earn the trophy. However I do like the idea of a conditional like that only counts when people earn the trophy.

• Like 1

The problem of liking a tip before you have earned it means you could find out that the tip isn't accurate but earn the trophy anyway. As you have already liked it, this tip then ends up at the top of the list as the best even though it is wrong.

That's why you can only like a tip after you have earned the trophy, because by then you know whether it was helpful or not.

• Like 1

Also, I don't know how much work this would require, but an "edit" button would be fantastic, and maybe if it's an issue of not adding an edit button because of the possibility of someone getting mad at the site or something and re-editing all of their tips to spam, then set a 24 hour edit limit on a tip, or maybe a 5 day edit limit or something like that, whatever's best   :P

THIS!!!

The problem of liking a tip before you have earned it means you could find out that the tip isn't accurate but earn the trophy anyway. As you have already liked it, this tip then ends up at the top of the list as the best even though it is wrong.

Isn't that is why the Report the Tip (!) is there? to report misleading or wrong info? or maybe put Unlike button? *shrug*

I agree to the idea of liking a Tip even you haven't been able to earn it because some people (like me sometimes) that are forgetting to Like the tip after getting the trophy >_<

• Like 1

This has been suggested before and I liked the idea then too. I'm not sure if Sly just doesn't like the idea or if he's coming up with a better plan.

If you can have the ability to "unlike" a tip, then I don't see why you couldn't "like" a tip prior to earning the trophy. People tend to put more effort into negative feedback so I can see them going back to "unlike" a tip if it didn't work. The proof is in the pudding... not many tips get likes :(

I absolutely agree that this should be a thing. It's kind of annoying spending a bunch of time writing out trophy tips to get 0 likes, makes it seem kind of pointless. And having to remember to go back and like a tip after getting the trophy is also very annoying. I try my best to do that, but I'm sure some slip through the cracks. However, I don't think there should be a rating system. There's really no point, either it helped or it didn't. No need to add in tiers that people could easily use just to troll.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

This would be much cooler than the current system.

I do have one proposal on one thing though and that's about the "helpfulness" part. I fell like a tip shouldn't be prioritized based on helpfulness until it has received a certain amount of ratings. It would just be unfair if the first guy that rates a tip gives it the highest score possible, and it pops to the top suddenly, compared to a tip that was added earlier and has received more ratings.

Edited by Blue Flare
  • Like 1

I think this has been brung up a few times before and it's mainly been a 'let users put in ideas but not make a move for the moment' - ideas are always good and make things move forward. Also tips do end up getting rated by the number of likes.

The only real issue I could see (well except for programming the actual thing) would be the queues this would create as a 'like' when earned is just a +1, a 'like' whenever I earn the trophy is +1 IF x =1, which doesn't sound much but does need constant monitoring and hence more process. It may be easy to add, but that's not my expertise

However, from what I can remember, Sly is thinking of reviewing the whole tip system, so updates will probably wait until then.

In all cases, he always keeps an eye on potential winner ideas :)