Metal Gear?!

I have a confession to make... I've only completed one Metal Gear game to date. I love this series so much but I've only completed Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (about 3 times) and I've played 2,3 and 4. I'm starting new games on all of them to really take in the series but what order are they best played in because release order seems jumbled to me and game chronology sounds like a much better idea but I've been told not to. Any help would be appreciated as I need to start on what is possibly one of the greatest series ever. Also what did you guys think of Rising Revengeance? I really liked it and I've got to say I completed the majority of the game using pure stealth (discluding sections where you had to go full on Ninja Gaiden on everyone).

Says the guy with Heavy Rain and  Beyond: Two Souls.

Hypocrite much?

Now - I'm not saying either of those are bad games - but for you to go and try to insult a game for having long cutscenes and "bad" gameplay, when you've played other games, to completion, that are even LESS of an actual "game" and more an interactive movie - you must have some wires crossed in your brain the wrong way.

you forgot The Walking Dead, Back to the Future, The Wolf Among Us, Virtues Last Reward and some others - all more story than game.

The critical difference is that the stories in those are good, or interesting, or compelling or funny.

MGS is just endlessly ret-conning the same ultra right wing nonsense and Michael Bay level crass lunacy again and again and again, and the only way Konami keep people coming back is by having Hideo Kojima disingenuously pretend that each installment is the final one.

• Like 1

Just watch them on youtube.

The games are 90% bad cut scene and 10% bad game, so watching them on youtube will at least cut out the 10% game Don

Don't make me laugh :)

Lol, love your enthusiasm!

I'm not really an infidel - I just prefer games that are, you know, good.... ;)

Oh i see.. Aabs Animals, escape the plan,lone survivor is really better :D

• Like 2

haha, lol, sorry, didn't notice you were a lady when I posted :-S

Sorry!

Lol it's ok !

You may dislike of a game but nobody has the right to talk nonsense! is true that MGS has enough cut scene's as uncharted and many other games but it's still a great game! if today I love games infiltration and espionage owes much to having played MGS.  And moreover i appreciate the work of hideo kojima! hes a pure genius :)

Edited by Blood-Rose666

Lol it's ok !

You may dislike of a game but nobody has the right to talk nonsense! is true that MGS has enough cut scene's as uncharted and many other games but it's still a great game! if today I love games infiltration and espionage owes much to having played MGS.  And moreover i appreciate the work of hideo kojima! hes a pure genius :)

meh, sure sure.

I love games, and I dont want to deny people enjoyment or anything. I absolutely do believe that Metal Gear is a horrible franchise, but then, there are plent of games I really like that others hate - Assassins Creed series, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 etc, so when I go after Metal Gear I know fine well that others will defend it to the death!

No mean spiritedness here though - this site is pretty good that way :)

meh, sure sure.

I love games, and I dont want to deny people enjoyment or anything. I absolutely do believe that Metal Gear is a horrible franchise, but then, there are plent of games I really like that others hate - Assassins Creed series, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 etc, so when I go after Metal Gear I know fine well that others will defend it to the death!

No mean spiritedness here though - this site is pretty good that way :)

I know you are good person but this type of action often leads people to walk to discuss with each other! ;)

you forgot The Walking Dead, Back to the Future, The Wolf Among Us, Virtues Last Reward and some others - all more story than game.

The critical difference is that the stories in those are good, or interesting, or compelling or funny.

MGS is just endlessly ret-conning the same ultra right wing nonsense and Michael Bay level crass lunacy again and again and again, and the only way Konami keep people coming back is by having Hideo Kojima disingenuously pretend that each installment is the final one.

Metal Gear, that 'horrible' franchise that has sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, who carried the Playstation 1 on its way to succes in the mid 90's, the very foundation of the stealth genre on the gaming industry. Games like Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Hitman, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed etc.

"90% cut scenes and 10% bad gameplay", good Sir I am eager to learn why you are bashing this gem of a game into the ground like it aint nuttin. Have ye no shame? Sure we can all have different opinions and that is just fine, but would you care to elaborate why this game has such a bad story, is so uninteresting and anything but funny? I can't wait to hear your constructive criticism.

OP, if you loved going stealth mode in Rising you will most certainly have a good time trying to move as a shadow in the dark in the previous installments. If you happen to have a NGC, might I suggest playing the MGS1 remake on your Nintendo? I'd start off with the first game and just play the series in the release order the way it was intended to be played.

Edited by Goekie

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is still quite possibly my favourite game of all-time. 

Ditto. That game blew my mind the first time I played it..

And to the OP: I would just play them in the order they were released. But either way is fine. Also, I tried the Revengeance demo & it wasn't my cup of tea, honestly. I personally prefer the traditional MGS style but to each his own.

• Like 1

Metal Gear, that 'horrible' franchise that has sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, who carried the Playstation 1 on its way to succes in the mid 90's, the very foundation of the stealth genre on the gaming industry. Games like Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Hitman, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed etc.

"90% cut scenes and 10% bad gameplay", good Sir I am eager to learn why you are bashing this gem of a game into the ground like it aint nuttin. Have ye no shame? Sure we can all have different opinions and that is just fine, but would you care to elaborate why this game has such a bad story, is so uninteresting and anything but funny? I can't wait to hear your constructive criticism.

*sigh*

Right.

As said above I'm not trying to force people who already like this franchise not to, I'm simply warning new people away from it as i think it sucks. I don't need to start a war here, but to answer the specific questions you have asked/ raised:

1. Wii Fit and Wii Sports, Modern Warfare and Many other games have sold millions too. It doesn't in and of itself make them good.

2. To say it carried the PS1 to success is spurious. MGS came out in a phenomenal year for games, and as such is, in my opinion, riding the coat-tails of all the other, better games it got lumped in with.

3. The amount of cut-scenes to gameplay is ridiculous. Even the reviewers who loved MGS4 made mention of this almost unanimously. This amount of non-interaction is fine if that is what the game is about i.e. In TWD or Heavy Rain, but in what markets itself as 'tactical espionage action' its outrageous. Hell, in MGS 1 there are full half hour sections of just looking at two headshots and chatting, so even before graphics were capable of doing big long 'action' cut-scenes they were padding the length of their games

4. I think that to get into a discussion about the story merits of a series in which one character loses an arm, has the arm of their boss grafted on and that arm TAKES OVER HIS BRAIN (all the while taking itself SUPER SERIOUSLY and moralising about the state of society and existentialism and all sorts of pseudo-serious topics) would insult both of us.

5. All of this would be fine if the gameplay could support it, but it just cant. The AI characters cant see 10 feet in front of them, their alerts can be countered with a cardboard box, the camera angles (in particular in the PS2 era games) cause constant trial and error as you sneak right into guards feet as you cant see where you are headed, the shooting and aiming is a joke etc etc etc.

This was boring to write, but you push me for an explanation and there it is.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is you sound a little biased. A game that sells millions of copies with a Metacritic score of 94 can't be that bad. Unless you know better than the 30 million who have played it. And since when aren't stealth games supposed to have cutscenes. Does this mean only RPGs are allowed to have cutscenes?

Games like Halo, Gran Turismo and Uncharted sell consoles. MGS belongs to this list as well and has proven this in the past. Nothing spurious about saying it boosts sales figures.

Just because you are not a fan of the game doesn't mean it isn't a good game

• Like 1

What I'm saying is you sound a little biased. A game that sells millions of copies with a Metacritic score of 94 can't be that bad. Unless you know better than the 30 million who have played it. And since when aren't stealth games supposed to have cutscenes. Does this mean only RPGs are allowed to have cutscenes?

Games like Halo, Gran Turismo and Uncharted sell consoles. MGS belongs to this list as well and has proven this in the past. Nothing spurious about saying it boosts sales figures.

Just because you are not a fan of the game doesn't mean it isn't a good game

You are absolutely right, i am biased, cause i dont like it - i said so a few post back - but you asked me to explain why i dont like the series and, well, thats why ;)