How does this game compare to Until Dawn?

Dwightsarmy14

On 6/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, trojbrown40 said:

Game is great and I think it's better than Until Dawn. You get to play as 9 characters and I believe the first blind run will take you about 9 hours. It hits all the notes of a great horror movie. Suspense, action and bits of comedy here and there. The opening music reminds me of Nightmare on Elm Street. Game reminds me of Friday the 13th meets Deliverance meets The Howling. It's probably my favorite Supermassive game so far and I've played them all. 

I do have a few grudges....monsters need to be a lot more hairy and game needs nudity. (This is party due to the monsters and what happens to them but I think most of you would agree). There are also moments when characters eyes are doing weird things or hair is moving all crazy but I can live with that. Your collectables don't carry over with you from each playthrough which really sucks and there are no manual saves (which would help with trophy cleanup). Once you beat the game, you can use chapter select but then you have to play all the way to the end again...you can't bounce around. 

If you love horror games, then you'll love this. If you are a trophy hunter and going for the platinum...it's going to take several playthroughs (4-6) and by then the game starts to get old. Hope this helps. 

Most of this is great to hear but the collectibles and no chapter select sounds like a step backwards. Their chapter select/ replay I thought had been improving quite a lot and helped minimize wasting time on full replays, shame to see it go.

I hope they change that by the time I get around to this game. (Hopefully that'll be this October.)

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

Most of this is great to hear but the collectibles and no chapter select sounds like a step backwards. Their chapter select/ replay I thought had been improving quite a lot and helped minimize wasting time on full replays, shame to see it go.

I hope they change that by the time I get around to this game. (Hopefully that'll be this October.)

Agree 100%. There are 3 types of collectables. Clues, Evidence and Tarot cards. On your "keep everyone alive" playthrough, you can get the Clues/Evidence or Tarot/Evidence so you have to pick. There is a choice to make in Chapter 2. The left path gets you 2 clues and the right path gets you 1 tarot card. Whatever you pick locks you out of the other. So it's at least 1 full playthrough and then another "Infect everyone" playthrough beginning at chapter 2  all the way to the end since the game doesn't recognize or remember what you had picked up previously..it resets which is a bummer. 

Good news is that once you have your collectable trophies, you can bypass all clues, evidence, tarot and move your character to the end to trigger the next scene to speed it up but I'd love a skip scene feature for a possible update. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Playing this game made me realise just how much of a graphical beast Decima Engine was for Until Dawn. Folks would say the cinema aspect ratio for The Quarry is an artistic choice (and it's been made the most off with the wide angle lens) but I suspect in order to properly step up Unreal Engine 4 to match the 'graphical bling' of Until Dawn, they reduced the render space on-screen with the black bars in order to squeeze more juice for the graphics. Whereas in Until Dawn, it was a comfortable 16:9 and still looked that good.

I'd say The Quarry is a worthwhile successor to Until Dawn. Quarry has a more interesting cast for me but UD is a shade better game simply because its routes and cinematic transitions feels more polished. That game was given plenty of time to bake (it was originally supposed to be a PS3 game) in the oven.

On 14/06/2022 at 0:37 AM, trojbrown40 said:

Your collectables don't carry over with you from each playthrough which really sucks and there are no manual saves (which would help with trophy cleanup). Once you beat the game, you can use chapter select but then you have to play all the way to the end again...you can't bounce around.

I'm wondering if they did this on purpose to fuck around with trophy hunters after they saw the platinum rarity for Until Dawn.

Edited by Eraezr

I liked the quarry a lot. It was fun and interesting and I liked the characters quite a bit. Only gripes with the game:

- the game is currently a bit buggy in terms of graphics and such. 

- the game is way too easy. I hope they can patch in harder qte options since they already have easier ones, but even on default it's so easy which really reduces some of the tension

- kinda similar to until dawn but some characters I wanted more screen time from personally

- the tarot card system, similar to the totems from the first game, have an interesting twist this time in how you view them, however, I don't like how you actually find them out in the game as you have to walk in a specific spot for the camera to change and then press a button as opposed to picking it up like anything else

Overall, however, I really enjoyed the game. I would say in terms of characters, story, and the performances, I liked it probably more than until dawn, I just wish that the gameplay was a bit less forgiving, but I think down the line it'll be excellent once it's gotten some more patches to hopefully remedy some of these issues. Definitely glad this game didn't end up as a stadia exclusive like it was supposed to

I haven't played the Dark Pictures games yet (getting Man of Medan on PS+ helps with that though), but I far and wide preferred Until Dawn. 

That's not to say that The Quarry was bad, but Until Dawn felt...special. The writing was a lot better in UD, and I liked most of the characters in UD...whereas in TQ I only really gave a crap about Ryan and Laura. Everyone else felt like they were trying way too hard to be caricatures of actual people, half of which had ego's the size of Texas, just very unlikable. 

I'm also a tad biased towards Slasher Films instead of Creature Features as well...but the "monster" in this game was poorly designed, at no point do I feel threatened by one of these things they just came off as silly for what they were supposed to be. Which is another point...the characters are written in such a way that they feel like the fear NOTHING of what is happening to them. They just go in head long into danger like bad asses and it zaps any horror element the game is trying to create. I mean hell there's this one point when you have to save Dylan from infection by.....performing a certain action. And for the rest of the game he's just okay that this happened....totally accepting of it, whereas any normal person would freak out. 

Plus for a game that needed multiple playthroughs...I was okay with it in UD, I wanted to see what happened with different choices. This game was a chore after the first playthrough. 

Also a nitpick I have that doesn't really matter...the game makes an emphasis on the characters being naked after transformations, yet they put clothes on them for censorship purposes. Like okay, fine...I don't need pixelated nudity, but why even bring it up? There's even purposeful camera angels where you can tell it's trying to emphasis the drama of THAT situation. It's not just that either, there's several moments in the game where the dialogue doesn't really match with the scene...like the writers and graphics department didn't work very closely, so you get this strange disconnect. 

I don't know, I can tell The Quarry was trying hard to get back on UD's level of success...but I feel like they caught lighting in a bottle with Until Dawn, and it's just not striking twice. Graphically it's amazing, might even be the best looking game on PS5 right now, minus the weird mouth movements. But yeah, Until Dawn is very much my pick. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t played until dawn, but have got the plats in all of the dark pictures games to date. I’m now a few trophies away from the plat for the quarry. I did stick until dawn in the PS4 once upon a time when it was released, but for whatever reason it didn’t pull me in, I didn’t take to it and didn’t end up playing it.

i wouldn’t say this is an extension of the dark picture games, they generally have a smaller cast, and to be honest, the qte’s are more challenging in the dark picture games than this one. One example is the hold breath mechanic in this, seems like a big step backwards from the heartbeat monitor qte that was a staple in those games.

As others have commented, the cast is larger and that’s great on 1st playthrough. But when it comes to sweeping up trophies it makes the game all the more painful for not having any skip scenes or skip dialogue options. As with other games, this still isn’t an option after 1st completion and They all seem to talk a LOT more than in previous games. Very irritating when you just want them to shut the hell up and get to the qte section. Someone above mentioned nudity....I can honestly say not once, in any playthrough was I thinking this game needs nudity. Personally I can’t see it adding anything to the game at all. Having a skip dialogue option however on scenes you have already played multiple times would be a massive massive plus though.

someone else above mentioned there is no chapter select. This does become an option for players after you have completed the game. All you need do is back up your save to the cloud straight after 1st completion and you can then constantly bring in a completed save with chapter select access to sweep trophies more efficiently.

i personally haven’t experienced any bugs at all, it looks great on ps5 and the cast is probably the most well known to a wider public than any of its predecessors. 

For me, they just need to talk less lol

good game. Wouldn’t pay out full price for it (here in uk some outlets are still pricing it at £60 and it just isn’t worth that kind of outlay due to how short the game is) picking it up for under £40 is palatable though.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 3:57 AM, Viper said:

I haven't played the Dark Pictures games yet (getting Man of Medan on PS+ helps with that though), but I far and wide preferred Until Dawn. 

That's not to say that The Quarry was bad, but Until Dawn felt...special. The writing was a lot better in UD, and I liked most of the characters in UD...whereas in TQ I only really gave a crap about Ryan and Laura. Everyone else felt like they were trying way too hard to be caricatures of actual people, half of which had ego's the size of Texas, just very unlikable. 

I'm also a tad biased towards Slasher Films instead of Creature Features as well...but the "monster" in this game was poorly designed, at no point do I feel threatened by one of these things they just came off as silly for what they were supposed to be. Which is another point...the characters are written in such a way that they feel like the fear NOTHING of what is happening to them. They just go in head long into danger like bad asses and it zaps any horror element the game is trying to create. I mean hell there's this one point when you have to save Dylan from infection by.....performing a certain action. And for the rest of the game he's just okay that this happened....totally accepting of it, whereas any normal person would freak out. 

Plus for a game that needed multiple playthroughs...I was okay with it in UD, I wanted to see what happened with different choices. This game was a chore after the first playthrough. 

Also a nitpick I have that doesn't really matter...the game makes an emphasis on the characters being naked after transformations, yet they put clothes on them for censorship purposes. Like okay, fine...I don't need pixelated nudity, but why even bring it up? There's even purposeful camera angels where you can tell it's trying to emphasis the drama of THAT situation. It's not just that either, there's several moments in the game where the dialogue doesn't really match with the scene...like the writers and graphics department didn't work very closely, so you get this strange disconnect. 

I don't know, I can tell The Quarry was trying hard to get back on UD's level of success...but I feel like they caught lighting in a bottle with Until Dawn, and it's just not striking twice. Graphically it's amazing, might even be the best looking game on PS5 right now, minus the weird mouth movements. But yeah, Until Dawn is very much my pick. 

I just posted in another thread about this. You sum it up better than I could - exactly agree on all your points!