No physical copy?

Kiyan-13

On 6/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, grifteskymfning said:

They also said that there would be a physical retail release when every DLC and update is released so everything is on disc.

Do you know whether the delicious last course will be the final DLC? If so, I'll just wait till that releases so I can get my hands on a physical copy

• Like 1

On 16.06.2022 at 4:16 PM, zulqarmessi said:

Pretty sure it's the final and the only dlc,

It took MDHR 5 long ass years to release one dlc. 

Well to be honest, this DLC is substantial and every frame of Cuphead is hand drawn, I doubt people can comprehend how much work it is. Doing every single FRAME by hand. Painting backgrounds (most were watercolor paintings from I have seen in behind the scenes videos). As an artist I would say for indie studio that stuck to hand drawn style 5 years is reasonable and depending on size of their team I'd say that's relatively fast. And I am speaking only from artists perspective. Coding, concepting, balancing, playtesting, debugging. Games like these take SO MUCH work 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2022 at 4:22 AM, Kiyan-13 said:

I'm one of these people who don't like digital stuff and only buy physical copies, so there are no physical copies for this game or plans to make any? 

I would keep an eye on LRG (limited run games) for one in the future.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zulqarmessi said:

Yep, cuphead is animated on 1 sec, every frames are beautifully hand drawn, for 1 sec of animation it requires 24 frames generated. 

That's why we love cuphead 1f618.png even more. 1f60d.png

I think it’s technically 12 for Cuphead?

The old cartoons it is in the style of were animated at 12 frames per second usually, so I would assume they require 12 different frames, with some duplicated in the 30/60 fps cycle for the game, to achieve that signature old style.

Semantics of course - however it is that they are doing it, it looks fantastic!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think it’s technically 12 for Cuphead?

The old cartoons it is in the style of were animated at 12 frames per second usually, so I would assume they require 12 different frames, with some duplicated in the 30/60 fps cycle for the game, to achieve that signature old style.

Semantics of course - however it is that they are doing it, it looks fantastic!

"The gameplay's frame rate is 60 frames per second, while the animation runs at 24 per second, which is the standard in American film." - Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuphead#Development

• Like 2

Just now, proud2bNs said:

"The gameplay's frame rate is 60 frames per second, while the animation runs at 24 per second, which is the standard in American film." - Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuphead#Development

Yes - but I think in terms of the actual number of separate animation poses, I would assume there are 12 per second - I can’t think of any other way they could achieve the level of verisimilitude to the old animation style they are aping otherwise.

I would assume some of those 24 frames of animation are duplicates, in order to look as close to the old style as they manage - and it’s a damn near perfect impression as far as I can tell!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I would assume some of those 24 frames of animation are duplicates, in order to look as close to the old style as they manage - and it’s a damn near perfect impression as far as I can tell!

Yeah, the game alternates between 1 and 2 duplicate frames to achieve 60 fps. Someone on reddit explained it much better than i could: Link

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

Yeah, the game alternates between 1 and 2 duplicate frames to achieve 60 fps. Someone on reddit explained it much better than i could: Link

Oh - that’s interesting!

so maybe I’m thinking about this wrong - in aping the 12fps on a 24fps tv (the old animation) they actually achieve it by having more frames of animation, (24), but shown on a 60fps TV.

So the way they achieve it isn’t about having the same number of frames, but of having the same (or a similar, at least) differential between the viewing screen and the animation frames!

That’s cool - if that’s how it works, that’s a neat trick - it’s almost fooling the brain into seeing something as the same - it’s actually different, but the delta is the same, rather than the baseline!

Cheers for sharing that - that’s cool!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 4:16 PM, zulqarmessi said:

Pretty sure it's the final and the only dlc,

It took MDHR 5 long ass years to release one dlc. 

I just purchased it digitally as I don't have the patience to wait 8 more days and I do not regret it in any way! I love the game so far

• Like 1

Executive producer and studio director Maja Moldenhauer reconfirmed to Nintendo Everything recently that the physical release is still in the cards for Switch, and more information will be shared “in the coming months”.

Moldenhauer’s full words:

“We can confirm we are planning to do a physical release, and keep your ear to the ground in the coming months – we’ll have more to share about that, but there will be a physical.”

Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/cuphead-switch-physical-release-still-happening-delicious-last-course-briefly-considered-as-standalone-game/

• Like 1