Dead Island 2 lives (PS5|PS4)

Abby_TheLastofUs

Trailer time!

On the game's gore system.

Dead Island 2 developer Dambuster Studios has created a bespoke gore system for its upcoming zombie-slaying sequel, and it's one of the most detailed ever seen in games.

“We’ve probably spent an unhealthy amount of time passionately developing our own gruesome gore tech, which we codename internally FLESH,” explained Dead Island 2’s game director, David Stenton, in a conversation with IGN. “That’s short for Fully Locational Evisceration System for Humanoids.”

“[This system] allows players to slice, dice, chop, dismember, melt, bludgeon and break zombies in all kinds of spectacular and stylish ways,” he continued. “And it’s all fully procedural as well.”

The new trailer shows off a strong selection of gory kills, but Stenton has a lot of enthusiasm for the detailed way the FLESH system replicates burning flesh.

“One of the most fun things you can do in the game is melt a zombie,” he said. “You can see [the flames] burn through the clothes and all the soft tissue, and down through the organs and into the bones. So yeah, we’ve put a lot of effort into the core combat and the gore that goes along with that.”

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs

• 2 months later...

Game is looking really good, but I am wondering just how different it plays from the original considering it's not Techland making it anymore. I didn't care for the first game (and still haven't played Riptide), It wasn't a bad game, I just found it boring. It was just a bunch of fetch quests that had you going back and forth from locations so you could fight the same horde of zombies over and over. But I felt like Techland really upped their game with Dying Light, which was essentially the same thing but the faster pace and verticality really added something to the formula that made the game exciting. And even with the changes to Dying Light 2...you have that signature Techland feel to the game. So I wonder how this game is going to feel, sharing the name but being made by someone else entirely...I'm hoping they've done enough different to not feel at all derivative. 

Edited by Viper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WHO DO YOU VOODOO BI***?!

The launch Trailer looks amazing and I can't wait to play this masterpiece in a few days! After 9 years of development they've finally done it... can you imagine?! Who is as hyped as me? Let's slay this zombies together! See y'all in HELL-A fellas ?❤️

And what do you think? Will the game be more of a flop or a new game of the year?

https://youtu.be/yiHalBhBMj4

Edited by SoLiD_FLaMezZx
  • Like 1

I’ll definitely rent it, the only one I’m the series I managed to finish was the first one. I dunno, I’m not in a rush to play it. And with the many high ranking, outstanding games already released this year, I doubt it’ll be Game Of The Year material for many. 

I’ve seen a few previews claim that the novelty of the gore system wears off, and once it does, the gameplay is a bit mediocre. But we will find out soon enough I guess…