Worth taking the plunge in the year 2022?

AJ_Radio

My question asked in the title. 

This is an old game. Played this on Xbox 360 back in the day, didn’t bother with achievements. Stellar performances by the voice cast, without GTA IV, GTA V probably wouldn’t be as good. 

Playing a game from 2008 with online is taking a pretty big risk. Based on trophy guides the trophies for the online can potentially glitch on a player, whether or not that is due to bad internet, I don’t know. 

Is this worth the big risk? Or is this game better played on PC without worrying about achievements?

Personally i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's the worst GTA game for me.

But you've already got trophies on the PS3, PS4 versions, you can always try to complete the PS4 version as you have trophies on it already, the PS3 version just give up as the online has closed anyway.

Edited by saiyanbloodstyle
wrong game

3 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Personally i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's the worst GTA game for me.

But you've already got trophies on the PS3, PS4 versions, you can always try to complete the PS4 version as you have trophies on it already, the PS3 version just give up as the online has closed anyway.

I think you are talking about GTA V here, the post is for GTA IV ?

@AJ_RadioI did start GTA IV on another account to jump into the online, it was pretty dead and probably a very good chance that it will take ages for the online trophies if they are even still possible with the lack of online activity. I'd probably give it a miss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RicosTrophyHunt said:

I think you are talking about GTA V here, the post is for GTA IV 1f600.png

@AJ_RadioI did start GTA IV on another account to jump into the online, it was pretty dead and probably a very good chance that it will take ages for the online trophies if they are even still possible with the lack of online activity. I'd probably give it a miss.

I do this on a regular ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RicosTrophyHunt said:

This is to be expected from an old game like this. With a boosting group, I'm curious to know how long the online would take.

"Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic" trophy would be less time consuming If you have a second PS3 since you can boost most of the MP modes for that trophy with just two players (there are a couple of modes that requires more than 2 players tho).

If you have the time to plat this game, I'd say go for it. 

17 minutes ago, pokwey said:

"Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic" trophy would be less time consuming If you have a second PS3 since you can boost most of the MP modes for that trophy with just two players (there are a couple of modes that requires more than 2 players tho).

If you have the time to plat this game, I'd say go for it. 

The big issue, actually finding another PS3 to buy.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Playing a game from 2008 with online is taking a pretty big risk. Based on trophy guides the trophies for the online can potentially glitch on a player, whether or not that is due to bad internet, I don’t know. 

Is this worth the big risk? Or is this game better played on PC without worrying about achievements?

It's up to you, but I still complete this about once a year and I would say it's still pretty stable.  There's 4 sessions right now on PsnP alone and I know there's at least one that has a huge Discord where people were still active as recently as March 2022.  The game itself is long and annoying, so playing on PC might save you frustration from not having to collect all the pigeons or AWP, but if the online is the only thing you're worried about you'll probably be fine.

Also, if you're USA, there's usually some kind of used game store in most cities (mine's called The Exchange) where you can still buy used consoles, and see them before you buy them.  I was able to pick up a super slim PS3 with a working controller for I think $150 this past May.  Not too bad since it came with a warranty.

16 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

It's up to you, but I still complete this about once a year and I would say it's still pretty stable.  There's 4 sessions right now on PsnP alone and I know there's at least one that has a huge Discord where people were still active as recently as March 2022.  The game itself is long and annoying, so playing on PC might save you frustration from not having to collect all the pigeons or AWP, but if the online is the only thing you're worried about you'll probably be fine.

Sometimes the guides aren't always right so the trophies being glitched in regards to online is my biggest concern. I did Max Payne 3 last year and that was an entire month long commitment. I looked up the fastest achievers list for Grand Theft Auto IV and the timestamps are roughly the same as they are for Max Payne 3. Still not going to be easy, especially if you care about trophies like getting 100% in The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC, which seems to have a lot of people give up on.

Are those pigeons worse than the 350 Blast Shards in inFamous 1?

18 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Also, if you're USA, there's usually some kind of used game store in most cities (mine's called The Exchange) where you can still buy used consoles, and see them before you buy them.  I was able to pick up a super slim PS3 with a working controller for I think $150 this past May.  Not too bad since it came with a warranty.

Buying a secondary PS3 is overkill if I'm just going to use it for one game. AWP just looks to be boostable with two players mostly, someone can even AFK for a while.

Thanks for the comment.

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

Are those pigeons worse than the 350 Blast Shards in inFamous 1?

I'd say about the same, and for the same reasons.  No in game tracking and Liberty City has the same verticality issues as well (you get to the spot on the map and you can't tell if you should be looking up or down.)

You're not totally off to be worrying about glitches, either.  I still think most of the complaints are from people who didn't keep good notes, but even when I was doing AWP earlier this year we had someone that had to redo all the races, and another one in my group that didn't get the team modes right and had to redo those as well. 

From looking at your profile, though, I feel like punishing yourself like this is part of the fun, so I feel like you'll end up doing it anyway :)   Good luck and happy gaming!

I did this about a year ago and while the mp is certainly grindy (especially if u don't have a second console), there r certainly worse games out there to boost. The servers work fine for the most part, and everything can be done in private lobbies so u don't have to worry about randoms. And if u use the slower method for grinding money, u can also be afk for the duration of the match.

1 minute ago, deadmanrising53 said:

I did this about a year ago and while the mp is certainly grindy (especially if u don't have a second console), there r certainly worse games out there to boost. The servers work fine for the most part, and everything can be done in private lobbies so u don't have to worry about randoms. And if u use the slower method for grinding money, u can also be afk for the duration of the match.

The one justification I would have to buy a second console is if the AWP trophy glitched on me and I have to do everything over again.

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Sometimes the guides aren't always right...

i wrote %99 of the mp portion of the guide by raceking + the accompanying mp gameplay  guide here and also worked closely with smartbomb over on the .org sister site before publishing the same mp guide there...should anything be wrong with the guides in terms of online stuff, please let me know and I'll make sure they are updated accordingly...as far as topic, not for me to tell you what is worth it or not so no comment...catch me in the right mood and I just might offer my help though...haha...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i wrote %99 of the mp portion of the guide by raceking + the accompanying mp gameplay  guide here and also worked closely with smartbomb over on the .org sister site before publishing the same mp guide there...should anything be wrong with the guides in terms of online stuff, please let me know and I'll make sure they are updated accordingly...as far as topic, not for me to tell you what is worth it or not so no comment...catch me in the right mood and I just might offer my help though...haha...

Appreciate the gesture.

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The one justification I would have to buy a second console is if the AWP trophy glitched on me and I have to do everything over again.

You only have to redo the single race or mode that 'glitches'.  The problem is working out which one it is if you are not keeping notes.  I was able to spot it the one time it happened, and it was confirmed by the note taking method in the guide.  My partner and i just redid the race.   Id also make a note if anything seems off in a race, so that is the first one to be redone.  Its going to be dozens of hours of boosting saved by buying a second ps3 so not a bad idea if you can pick one up for cheap.   I have one tip for anyone as well, do not shoot any pigeons until its time to check off that trophy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

You only have to redo the single race or mode that 'glitches'.  The problem is working out which one it is if you are not keeping notes.  I was able to spot it the one time it happened, and it was confirmed by the note taking method in the guide.  My partner and i just redid the race.   Id also make a note if anything seems off in a race, so that is the first one to be redone.  Its going to be dozens of hours of boosting saved by buying a second ps3 so not a bad idea if you can pick one up for cheap.   I have one tip for anyone as well, do not shoot any pigeons until its time to check off that trophy. 

Know a good place that sells used PS3s?

I got a used ps3 slim for 80$ with 15 games from craigslist in Northern California 2 years ago.  Ebay might be worth a look.  I d sell you my one in November, i have only 2 or 3 more games then i m wrapping up the ps3 era.

Edited by maisie666
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:18 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Know a good place that sells used PS3s?

When my old PS3 broke down I bought one from Facebook Marketplace, and some time ago I bought another one to self-boost, also form Marketplace. I'd suggest you look there.

The consoles, with 1 or more controllers, all cables and sometimes a few games usually cost about 150€ or so.

I'm also thinking of starting GTA IV (as well as Binary Domain), but as is the case with these older games, I get quite nervous that the online will go out before I finish the list, or that the trophies will bug out on me etc. Though, I did manage to do Arcana Heart 3 (Vanilla) and Far Cry 2 without them glitching out on me (and Far Cry 2 is a buggy mess, let me tell you).

Still, you might want to try out your connection or get a few super fast trophies on another account that you don't care about trophies, and see whether or not you can handle the grind / connection.

Up to you man. I think it’s worth it. So far I’ve gotten every trophy in the base game except AWP and wanted in about almost a month of playing. There’s a couple things that will take a while (like shooting 200 pigeons and key to the city) as well as AWP and wanted. There’s some gaming sessions going on so finding a partner/boosting group shouldn’t be a problem.

Edited by Apocasy

One of the best games of all time. If you have concerns about online trophies, they are still obtainable. Some people say AWP trophy is glitchy, but you should not be afraid of it. I helped my friend to unlock this trophy. We did all modes without quitting game though. For Wanted trophy, if you have concerns about level reset, there are many glitches that you can use. You can find these videos on YouTube. 

Good luck.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...