hard difficulty trophy help?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Do I really need a complete new game? I just tried it in challenge mode and it didn't work there...

Yes, you need a complete new game as in start from scratch.  Changing the difficulty in challenge mode DOES NOT work.  The game is not that long anyways...

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh boy! Do I regret playing through hard difficulty on my first playthrough! Just like the other games (with the clear exception of All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault / QForce because they ≠ R&C) you start off with low health (NanoTech) and nothing but the Omniwrench (and the Combustor?). This is not at all ideal for harder difficulties.

Trophy guides (specifically the guide on this site and the PST.org guide) claim that hard difficulty wasn't really a challenge, especially for those familiar with the traditional Ratchet & Clank gameplay (myself included). I wish I never considered that as there were a few times I had troubles with a particular part of the game. These a listed below.

• Escaping Lord Vorselon's warship after rescuing Alister Azimuth (just after earning the "Leave No Lombax Behind" story trophy)
  • The Agorian boss encounter at the Gimlick Valley
  • "I didn't expect that!" Said no one, The Final Boss.

Defeating Alister Azimuth on hard difficulty (non challenge mode playthrough) is near impossible. He has too much health and deals a lot of damage, very stressful as you can imagine. Fortunately, before entering the Orvus Chamber to confront him, you can use a sniper (Pulse Cannon IIRC) from the entrance of the chamber (just after the grind rail segment) to deal damage to Alister from afar. Of course, you'll run out of ammunition but there's a couple of Ammo crates in this area. There's also a GrummelNet vendor to your right in the same area, so you can refill your ammo as many times you can (at the cost of bolts). Normally, Alister will circle around the "arena" throwing bombs all over the place. This is the case while using this method, so once he starts boosting in circles wait for him to show up so you can take health out of him. You should avoid his ranged attacks too as he knows where you are the moment you first shoot at him, even from a distance.

I should mention that as usual, when you deal half of his health the in-game (mid-boss) cinematic will play. After that you end up at the confrontation area so you end up having to do the second half of the boss battle legitimately. This still helps as you can use your R.Y.N.O. (Rip Ya a New One) and other useful weapons to take him down and not worry about needing so much extra ammo from the respawning ammo crates for an entire chunk of the boss (R.Y.N.O. refills cannot be obtained from these). Beating the final boss (specifically on hard difficulty) would've been much more doable if it wasn't for running out of ammo one third into it, so I STRONGLY SUGGEST you use this method to your advantage.

On 2/24/2019 at 2:27 AM, Paradigmatica said:

My Blaster Runs Really, Really Hot .. Finally went back to it 2 years later and got it... All I got was a :bronze: :blink:

Some games ya just need a long vacation from.  Nothing I hate more is a mini game that has nothing to do with the game itself..  

I've been wanting to go back to this game for a while as this is the one trophy stopping me from my well deserved platinum. Out of all the Ratchet & Clank games I've played so far (have yet to play Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked/Gladiator) I cannot decide if this or the Careful Cruise trophy from Ratchet & Clank (2002 HD) is the worst trophy. Both trophies require too much skill. "Careful Cruise" can get f***ed to the Moon (did it twice for both PS3 and Vita) while "My Blaster Runs Really, Really Hot!" should not have been a trophy to begin with.

Edited by Skeptical69

6 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

I've been wanting to go back to this game for a while as this is the one trophy stopping me from my well deserved platinum. Out of all the Ratchet & Clank games I've played so far (have yet to play Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked/Gladiator) I cannot decide if this or the Careful Cruise trophy from Ratchet & Clank (2002 HD) is the worst trophy. Both trophies require too much skill. "Careful Cruise" can get f***ed to the Moon (did it twice for both PS3 and Vita) while "My Blaster Runs Really, Really Hot!" should not have been a trophy to begin with.

I went back to try it 2 years alter as a joke really.  Nether thought Id get it after 5 tries.  The key is to get lucky. And scare as many combos early in the game.   But really it all boils down to the luck of the powerup drops...  I got lucky... otherwise that game was history for good. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RMWHi6fSQ

• 3 years later...
On 3/3/2019 at 5:06 AM, RigbySanchez439 said:

Defeating Alister Azimuth on hard difficulty (non challenge mode playthrough) is near impossible. He has too much health and deals a lot of damage, very stressful as you can imagine. 

It really isn't, I beat him first try on hard and I'm admittedly not even that good at video games. The most difficult time I had was with the first space boss fight which took me like 10 tries and as far as trophies go, My Blaster Runs Really, Really Hot trophy is by far the most difficult thing to do in this game. The hard playthrough is easy in comparison. 

The key is before you face Nefarious and inevitably Azimuth is to have max armor and most of your weapons at max Lv. 5 before facing them as that's what the game expects you to face them with. This makes the final bosses a cakewalk. If you rushed through the story and have weak weapons and armor by the end, yeah, you'll naturally have a more difficult time against the final bosses, still nothing that's near impossible. Maxed out buzz blades, warmonger, Mr. Zurkon, dynamo of doom and spiral of death are a must and you'll whittle down his health in no time. The Spiral of Death you get from one of the arena challenges and when it's maxed, it does a lot of damage. It's best to do all the arena challenges anyway prior to facing the final bosses as you get a lot of bolts to buy armor/weapons and you get really OP weapons like the Constructo Shotgun and Spiral of Death which massively helps out with fights later in the game. The Raritanium Cup unlocks right before you're about to face Nefarious so that's when you want to take the detour back to the arena and complete those challenges first. 

There's a perfect place to grind weapon XP during the battle in Gimlick Valley, you can easily max out all your weapons or at least most of them here in no time as the enemies continually spawn and give you way more XP than any other enemies in the game. It's definitely more than worth the extra time there to upgrade your weapons for the battles ahead.