Online play on Wii and DS shutting down in May

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/02/27/nintendo-pulls-the-plug-on-online-features-for-wii-and-ds-games/

ps0-600x542.png
Nintendo of America has just announced that as of May 20th, you will no longer have access to WiFi connection service on their Wii, DS and DSi games. That will include features like online play, online leaderboards and anything else that it does online. All games will work perfectly fine online.

Honestly this move makes me more weary of Nintendo and actually makes me reconsider the idea of buying a Wii U. I know most people will post and say that I’m overreacting, saying not many people play DS titles online, but it sucks knowing that if we make a party on our forums to play Phantasy Star Ø, as of May 20th, we won’t be able to play online just because Nintendo decided they didn’t want to support online services going on to the next generation.

To see all SEGA games that will be affected, hit the jump.

• BLEACH: Dark Souls
  • Bleach: The Blade of Fate
  • The Conduit 2
  • Dinosaur King
  • Ghost Squad
  • Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns Arcade Hits Pack
  • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii/DS)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii/DS)
  • Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 
  • NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
  • Phantasy Star Ø
  • Samba De Amigo
  • Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (Wii/DS)
  • Sonic and the Black Knight
  • Sonic Colors (Wii/DS)
  • Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
  • Sonic Rush Adventure
  • Virtua Tennis

All games being affected are posted here. How do you feel about this news?

For all the success the Wii and DS had, Nintendo sure is dropping support quick.  Sure, the Wii was more a fad than anything, but the DS is kinda surprising.  

I remember when I played The Conduit on the Wii. Every time it was always the same map with only rocket launchers. And man did I love it. Mario Kart too! Loved playing that online because there wasn't much to do in the singleplayer and I didn't play often with other people in that game. I also didn't forget the Pokemon Plaza (I think that was what the name was) in Pokemon Platinum. Didn't really do much, but it was a major step in social communication for Nintendo. To think that is all going to be gone in nearly three months...  :(

Edited by BlueFireReaper

I understand why they're doing it, but not why they think it'll be effective. Having the option to play the old releases isn't what stops people buying the new ones. Just look at things like Call of Duty or even the new consoles. All this is going to do is damage customer relations.

I like to go back and play old games with friends occasionally. I imagine a lot of Wii users are the same, considering the casual audience it was aimed at.

It's also worrying thinking that one day this could happen to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.