Trophy Thoughts ?

amir_saman96

Nice to see this game come out with what looks to be a fitting and a priori challenging list. 

I didn't know anything about this game but it certainly looks incredibly fun. White's Hell Rush seems to be beating the entire game with 3 lives total, and while I didn't watch any videos, I looked up the challenge and it seems to take anywhere from 40 to 70 minutes. 

Will definitely consider buying this game early if it's polilshed at release. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Did it on PC, not terribly difficult.  Will probably be a bit harder on controller but I know of someone who did White's Hell Rush on Switch so y'know.  Plus they apparently adjust the platinum times based on platform (not sure about that) but they weren't hard to get them after a couple of attempts.

White's Hell Rush could take you from 1 hour - 20 hours depending on how consistent you are with execution.  For me, White's Hell Rush alone took me 6-7 hours

Did it on PC, not terribly difficult.  Will probably be a tiny bit harder on controller but I know of someone who did White's Hell Rush on Switch so y'know.  Plus they apparently adjust the platinum times based on platform (not sure about that) but they weren't hard to get them after a couple of attempts.

White's Hell Rush could take you from 1 hour - 20 hours depending on how consistent you are with execution.  For me, White's Hell Rush alone took me 6-7 hours

Edited by Borkinian
  • Like 1

I said this before, it'll be a 7 or 8 out of 10 if hell rushes were a thing. It's the only thing I have yet to finish on the Switch version. xD

Personally found Violet's levels to be absolute pain since they revolve around traps and tight spacing, but White's will just be a grind.

I think the rarity for the plat will probably be low VR (5 or 6%) because, yes it's difficult,  but the game is good so I can see people who push through it anyways.

I hope you all enjoy though. It's the second best game I've played this year.

Been playing it a lot on PC recently. I beat Violet's, Red's, and Yellow's Heaven and Hell Rushes pretty easily. Been trying to do White's Hell Rush over the last few days. I've been able to make it about half way so I am hopeful, problem is there's a couple things that can insta-kill you later in the game and then your run is just over. I loved this game and can't wait to play it all over again on playstation. 

I know this game is supposed to be beloved, but I'm not a fan of the idea of "platforming speedrunning + fps". I'm not sure if this is one of those exception to rule games like what Hades is to rougelites for me. It's also a somewhat unique blend of a few genres so it may be even harder to discern. 

From everything I've seen the gameplay just doesn't look like it's for me. I do like the visual novel aspects tho. Might just get it and see, if it stinks for me I'll just cut my loses and move on.

Edited by BENJAM1N_LINUS

6 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I don't plan to play the game because it's not my style really, but I just wanted to recognize that there is a place called Idiot Island in the game.

It's pretty funny how you get there too. I definitely got fooled the first time I played it and ended up there. Assuming most players actually collect gifts and do the memories, it'll be a common trophy. ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Good golly, another Mein Leben-esque trophy

...but I can see some players are happy about it. :popcorn:

Not so much. It's more of an endurance run, a test of everything you've learned, but you aren't wrestling with long, unskippable cutscenes or having to restart because you got caught on an object thanks to a failed attempt at skipping a level. It sounds annoying, but nowhere near that annoying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, PMD_E1337Pete said:

"Gift Hunter" may be glitched for some (I see others have it)? Unless I'm missing a secret one or something. I have all gifts and gave them to all the NPCs.

Try to restart the game if you haven't already, apparently this is an issue on the Steam version aswell.

1 hour ago, Cruscah said:

Try to restart the game if you haven't already, apparently this is an issue on the Steam version aswell.

Restarted the game and my save is wiped. My save was already wiped when I changed games yesterday. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue every time they close this game.

3 hours ago, PMD_E1337Pete said:

Restarted the game and my save is wiped. My save was already wiped when I changed games yesterday. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue every time they close this game.

My save just got wiped a second time. Both times happened to me after shutting down the PS5 while the game was running. What a fucking shitshow.

Saw 2 other people on Reddit reporting wiped saves. They both closed out the game normally.

Edited by HAILtoSTARSCREAM
  • Like 1

Gift Hunter glitched for me as well, and I found my save was gone shortly after. Restarted the game, and after the first two chapters my save was gone again.

After that, I went into storage and manually deleted my Neon White save data and started again. Played through the whole game 100%, but I skipped the gift in 1-1 and every couple chapters I would check to see if my save was still there and then back it up once I confirmed it was. Once everything else was 100% done again, I went back for the gift in 1-1 and Gift Hunter popped.

I didn't have any further issues beyond that, my assumption was that getting a Green gift (Marathon) as my last one caused the trophy bug but I didn't have any issues with PC version so idk.

The global leader boards seem off too though, after you beat every level once, your global time should match the "Total Time" so something definitely feels weird with this port right now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lind-Z-K said:

Gift Hunter glitched for me as well, and I found my save was gone shortly after. Restarted the game, and after the first two chapters my save was gone again.

After that, I went into storage and manually deleted my Neon White save data and started again. Played through the whole game 100%, but I skipped the gift in 1-1 and every couple chapters I would check to see if my save was still there and then back it up once I confirmed it was. Once everything else was 100% done again, I went back for the gift in 1-1 and Gift Hunter popped.

I didn't have any further issues beyond that, my assumption was that getting a Green gift (Marathon) as my last one caused the trophy bug but I didn't have any issues with PC version so idk.

The global leader boards seem off too though, after you beat every level once, your global time should match the "Total Time" so something definitely feels weird with this port right now.

Thanks for the workaround. Congrats on the plat and being first on the leaderboard.

How would you rate the platinum difficulty overall? Any games you would compare it to difficulty-wise?

1 hour ago, Lind-Z-K said:

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately I just finished getting 100% of the gifts a second time. I will try this on my third go-around.

I'll be honest, it's kind of hard for me to give a difficulty rating. I'd say maybe a 5 or 6, but I picked up the game when it came out on PC back in June and played the hell out of it since. I got into the speedrunning scene and have 328 hours on Steam currently lmao. The hardest part for me was getting used to playing on a controller.

What I can say with certainty, is that the hell rushes are the hardest part of completion. Specifically White and Mikey hell. White and Mikey are both 96 levels long, and if you die on hell you have to restart. On top of that, your health carries over from level to level on hell. If you get hit, your health doesn't go back up without picking up a health card or using the Miracle Katana.

Miracle Katana replaces your melee weapon in hell rush, it's exactly the same as the regular Katana, but you can discard it for a full heal and you get to pick any other card in the game to get for free. Miracle is your safety net on hell, using it to give yourself a Dominion is a great way to save yourself if you miss a jump and are going to die, however you can only discard it three times per rush.

General advice if you're struggling with hell:

Practice levels you mess up on in the Job Archive. Mess up the level while you're practicing? Don't restart, look for ways to save it. Having back up strat knowledge could save your run, or at least save you a miracle discard, if you mess up the level during rush.

Take slow routes through the level if you're nervous or unsure. If you just want the trophies, your time is unimportant. Slow routes feel bad, but they're usually way safer than going for a skip.

Play shuffle. It keeps it interesting and takes your mind off how far into the game you are. Also getting a hard level like Third Temple super early on is nice, get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it. The one downside with shuffle is that you'll have no idea when a level that has a health card on it is going to show up, makes it a bit more difficult to know if you should discard a miracle for healing or not.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lind-Z-K said:

I'll be honest, it's kind of hard for me to give a difficulty rating. I'd say maybe a 5 or 6, but I picked up the game when it came out on PC back in June and played the hell out of it since. I got into the speedrunning scene and have 328 hours on Steam currently lmao. The hardest part for me was getting used to playing on a controller.

What I can say with certainty, is that the hell rushes are the hardest part of completion. Specifically White and Mikey hell. White and Mikey are both 96 levels long, and if you die on hell you have to restart. On top of that, your health carries over from level to level on hell. If you get hit, your health doesn't go back up without picking up a health card or using the Miracle Katana.

Miracle Katana replaces your melee weapon in hell rush, it's exactly the same as the regular Katana, but you can discard it for a full heal and you get to pick any other card in the game to get for free. Miracle is your safety net on hell, using it to give yourself a Dominion is a great way to save yourself if you miss a jump and are going to die, however you can only discard it three times per rush.

General advice if you're struggling with hell:

Practice levels you mess up on in the Job Archive. Mess up the level while you're practicing? Don't restart, look for ways to save it. Having back up strat knowledge could save your run, or at least save you a miracle discard, if you mess up the level during rush.

Take slow routes through the level if you're nervous or unsure. If you just want the trophies, your time is unimportant. Slow routes feel bad, but they're usually way safer than going for a skip.

Play shuffle. It keeps it interesting and takes your mind off how far into the game you are. Also getting a hard level like Third Temple super early on is nice, get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it. The one downside with shuffle is that you'll have no idea when a level that has a health card on it is going to show up, makes it a bit more difficult to know if you should discard a miracle for healing or not.

This is all very helpful information. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out.

To contrast Lind-Z-K, This was my first time playing the game, so as someone who got the plat with no experience going in, I agree on all points except playing shuffle.

Do NOT play shuffle, being able to recognise how far you are from a health card is invaluable in decision making. If you know you're coming up on a level you tend to get hit on and don't have one coming up you know it's a good time to use your katana discard. It also gives a sense of rhythm, rather than getting random levels thrown at you and maybe dying to dashing into a mimic, you'll know what's coming and when and you can prepare for it. 

The downside to this is you'll be out of practice for the later levels, I highly recommend practising most levels on the Heaven's Edge since they'll be the hardest ones you come across and they are later in the run without shuffling, so you won't get much of a chance too otherwise. All these levels have a lot of verticality and one mistake is practically unrecoverable because of this (you'll fall to a point even a dominion card won't help).

I find the boss missions are really simple, but don't take em lightly cause you can die VERY quickly.

Same with all levels in ???, They tend to be pretty quick and simple.

Main reason I wanted to post, there seems to be a glitch with the all gifts trophy, this is conjecture but I believe from my own and others experiences that it doesn't unlock if your last collected gift is one of Green's coins. To circumvent this I recommend leaving an earlier gift till last to collect, I personally used one of Yellow's on 2-1.

If you already have all gifts and no trophy, you'll have to run through the main game again, I couldn't find a work around myself (I have the only plat on PS4 right now).

Overall I'd say the difficulty is maybe a 4/10 that's bumped up to a 7/10 purely because of White's Hell Rush, it took me 12 straight hours of attempts to get one run and I've heard some people haven't been able to get it for the entire time they've played.

Mikey's can also be hard I hear but I got it on my first attempt, my top would be in any situation try and get 2 dominion as quick as you can, that way you continue to stockpile ammo even when grappling, so if you mess up you'll have enough ammo to bounce around to the exit.

Hardest level for Mikey was Race, no matter what I couldn't beat the tripmines, so I had to leap of faith towards the goal platform and managed to barely get a grapple as my screen was going white.

Good luck all! Might make a dedicated thread for that green advice.

[Edit: just saw a lot of this matches up with Lind's thoughts, didn't see their comment, probably should of check first haha]

Edited by JKOROX
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

I know this game is supposed to be beloved, but I'm not a fan of the idea of "platforming speedrunning + fps". I'm not sure if this is one of those exception to rule games like what Hades is to rougelites for me. It's also a somewhat unique blend of a few genres so it may be even harder to discern. 

From everything I've seen the gameplay just doesn't look like it's for me. I do like the visual novel aspects tho. Might just get it and see, if it stinks for me I'll just cut my loses and move on.

So, I just finished it... and I loved it. It really was one of those cases where watching gameplay simply could not be translated until you played it yourself and it is a quintessential example of the easy to learn, difficult to master idiom.

Story and characters were fun (critics complaining about that aspect are clearly normals who've never played a VN) and the gameplay was great despite my misgivings; quite addictive.

Plat is 10/10 difficulty tho, don't believe otherwise. There is no world where I would have the skill to get all aces or even bother attempting rushes.