Backlog by the Month Challenge 2023 (Sign-Ups Open!)

1 minute ago, s68sc said:

So I only done Sleeping Dogs... but I complete other games from my backlog, I will continue to use this list and maybe I can do it

You would start fresh for the month of August. So just let me know 5 games and I can add you back to the leaderboards if you would like

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

The Leaderboards have been updated 07/31/2023:

40-platinum.png @KillerUni12 20.50 points ---> @Darling Baphomet 24.00 points

40-gold.png @Darling Baphomet 19.50 points ---> @KillerUni12 22.00 points

40-silver.png @StraightVege 19.00 points ---> 21.50 points

40-bronze.png @Hurricane_Tanya 16.00 points ---> 18.00 points

With August finally here; the final 4th of the year starts with Killer being displaced by Darling for the lead by a handful of points. But neither should sit too comfortably as StraightVege is lurking just below in 3rd place, and Hurricane is coming up quick in 4th place.

It is still a large fight in the top 4 and we unfortunately have a few adventurers that have fallen off the trail, but we have found another fellow journeyman. Welcome @princexedar to our little group!

As we begin the final descent into the end of the year; August has arrived to allow us to add any game already on our trophy list to our backlog list for this event. It also allows us one final time to remove games, but please remember, you can only do one removal post. And you MUST keep five games, one for each month left in the event.

Thank you to everyone that has been with us and continue to journey along through the ups and downs of this year. Hopefully, we can continue to have a good time and sooner rather than later I will have an updated rules list and point system to show for next year.

Happy August everyone and the update should continue as normal on 8/16!

Can i just quickly confirm
In August, we can add games to the backlog list that over the normal threshold of 33%? Does the threshold change, or is it any game above it?

12 hours ago, princexedar said:

Can i just quickly confirm
In August, we can add games to the backlog list that over the normal threshold of 33%? Does the threshold change, or is it any game above it?

For August any game already on your trophy profile at any percentage can be added.

However, keep in mind only 5 months remain of the year and each game remaining incomplete on your list on Jan 1st is subject to a -0.10 point penalty

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BlazzingWind said:

For August any game already on your trophy profile at any percentage can be added.

However, keep in mind only 5 months remain of the year and each game remaining incomplete on your list on Jan 1st is subject to a -0.10 point penalty

I just saw the any % element so added Rayman Legends in. No idea when this monster will actually be done but it will this year.

• Like 1

August update 1

New Games:

1. Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

2. Hakuoki: Kyoto Blossoms

Backlog:

1. Ar no Surge: Ode to an Unborn Star
2. Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
3. Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key
4. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream

5. Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

6. Hakuoki: Kyoto Blossoms

7. Hatsune Miku VR
8. Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World
9. Rune Factory 4

Completed List:

1. January
DJMax Technika Tune :platinum:

2. February

DJMax Respect :platinum:
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone DX :platinum:
Deemo Reborn :platinum:
Superbeat: Xonic :platinum:

3. March
Overcooked - 100%
Overecooked! All You Can Eat :platinum:
Hogwarts Legacy :platinum:
Code Vein :platinum:
Scarlet Nexus :platinum:
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered :platinum:

4. April
Valkyria Chronicles 4 :platinum:
Shining Resonance Refrain :platinum:

5. May
Persona 3 Portable :platinum:
Persona 4 Golden :platinum:
Persona 5 Royal :platinum:
Persona 5 Strikers :platinum:
Untitled Goose Game :platinum:
Pac-Man World Re-Pac :platinum:
Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 100%
Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series :platinum:

6. June
Octopath Traveler II :platinum:

7. July
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth :platinum:
Valkyrie Elysium :platinum:

Edited by Crancian
  • Like 3

Im just going to add a couple of games that have higher percentages.
New Games: (Any percent)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 45%
Call of Duty: Ghosts 35%
The Quarry: 65%
Life is Strange: True Colours: 40%
Sackboy: The Big Adventure 54%
Moving Out: 37%
Kingdom hearts: Melody of Memory

Games already on the list (under 33%)
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor 12% 
Control (PS5) 9%
Hades 3%
Bioshock 2 (ps4) 0%
Dark Pictures: House of Ashes (3%)
Last of Us Part 2 (12%)
Spiderman 1%
Spiderman: Miles Morales 0%

Edited by princexedar
  • Like 2

Happy August! I can't believe how fast the year is going, I swear it was just June. Anyways, I wrapped up Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise. The best way to describe this game is disappointing. While billed as the sequel to the original Naughty Bear, it feels more like an unfinished demo. Many of the best features from the original game are missing, objectives are sometimes unclear, crashes are common in areas with lots of other bears, and overall, the platinum cups/high scores were just too easy. To top everything off, the final trophies require a long XP grind. Glad to have tried it, and much happier to have put it in the rearview! 

Adding Shutshimi, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, and Grow Home to my list.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 3:35 AM, BlazzingWind said:

That is a lot to get done for July!

Can you please update your profile on psnprofiles? When I look to check dates, your profile has not been updated since July 13th and the only game I can confirm is WWE 2K22.

Dates are important when it comes to ties in points, so I will make a note of the ones you've completed, but can't verify the points until your profile on the site is updated.

Weird how the site stopped the automatic updates

Already updated my profile :)

• Like 1

August completion has actually happened! Guardians of the Galaxy is a great game and one I highly recommend

April

Lego DC Super Villains

Stray

May

Mafia

Life is Strange: True Colours

August

Guardians of the Galaxy

Call of Duty Ghosts 47%

Metro 2033 Redux 1%

Battlefield Hardline 24%

Spiderman Miles Morales 0%

Mass Effect Andromeda

Endling

The Ascent

Rayman Legends

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlazzingWind said:

Given the city being what it is, old age isn't a factor, so it just seems an odd thing to hint at and then never tie up. Unless I missed something StraightVege?

EDIT: the damned spoiler tags on this lousy board NEVER open properly for me, so I'm just going to give a manual warning.

My memory ain't the best, but I thought that...

SPOILERS: ...the reason there are so few inhabitants trapped in the Roman period of the city is because Charon is finally running out of folks who possess obols/coins to ferry there, with the alien "god" on the verge of ending his experiment. You and Al Worth were the final two, correct? It is somewhat odd that the assassin (bow guy) makes it into the city, though. As for why every last person freed from the golden statues wasn't applauding you in the finale, I would assume technical limitations. *END SPOILERS*

But, I could be wrong. In any case, I rarely notice (or care about) minor plot holes or oversights in games, since I tend to be intensely focused on other aspects. My main issue with The Forgotten City's story was the heavy-handedness of the true ending, particularly that corny museum bit. It felt like the syrupy conclusion of some Hallmark Channel movie my mom used to watch. ?

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

EDIT: the damned spoiler tags on this lousy board NEVER open properly for me, so I'm just going to give a manual warning.

My memory ain't the best, but I thought that...

SPOILERS: ...the reason there are so few inhabitants trapped in the Roman period of the city is because Charon is finally running out of folks who possess obols/coins to ferry there, with the alien "god" on the verge of ending his experiment. You and Al Worth were the final two, correct? It is somewhat odd that the assassin (bow guy) makes it into the city, though. As for why every last person freed from the golden statues wasn't applauding you in the finale, I would assume technical limitations. *END SPOILERS*

But, I could be wrong. In any case, I rarely notice (or care about) minor plot holes or oversights in games, since I tend to be intensely focused on other aspects. My main issue with The Forgotten City's story was the heavy-handedness of the true ending, particularly that corny museum bit. It felt like the syrupy conclusion of some Hallmark Channel movie my mom used to watch. 1f606.png

With the assassin guy I noticed that you could loot a single coin from his body. I assume that this 'coin' might be one of the obals for Charon. But yeah, it is a minor thing, but my mind gets stuck on them in games idk lol. And the museum scene was just ugh

• Like 1

Ah, I didn't take notice of that clue! How clever. So that dude must've...

SPOILERS: ...died during his mission like everyone else, and wasn't aware of it. *END SPOILERS*

Very cool. But yeah, like yourself, I loved the game, flaws and all.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:18 PM, BlazzingWind said:

That is a good question. Wouldn't be fair to have it count against someone when we don't control when a game is removed from ps+ service. I would say the rule should be, unless you added the game in question AFTER it was announced that it was to be removed - then it should just fall off your list.

Does that seem fair?

Yeah, that seems fair!

Anyway, gaming progress! I'm happy to announce that I've finally platinumed Cozy Grove after 88 (real life) days clocked in, as well as Cities: Skylines Remastered and Road 96. Gonna try to keep this short because I haven't really had the energy to write out entire game reviews lately, but I'm a bit of a blabbermouth, so we'll see.

Cozy Grove was a lovely little Animal Crossing like that was well worth the... I dunno, 13 or so bucks I paid for it on sale? Immediately it has some significant advantages over Animal Crossing - well, one real advantage, really - and that is that all of the bears have their own distinct personalities and unique quests. Rather than having hundreds of villagers that all cycle through the same eight personalities worth of dialogue, each bear has their own stories, and their own traumas and regrets. That's another thing this game does differently - it's very morbid. Sometimes in a lighthearted, wholesome way, and other times in quite gruesome ways, e.g. when a bear tells you that they just stumbled upon the corpse of someone that they used to know. It makes the game feel very real, and the characters relatable. The usual staples of an AC game are here, besides that - you plant berry bushes, trees, and flowers to get items to harvest and sell, decorate your house and the island you're on, and mine rocks, cut down bushes, and catch various critters (of which there is a large assortment). One thing I will say about Cozy Grove is that it's not quite as good as ACNH as providing an actual simulated home for you - while the bears all have their unique stories, they do not actually have that much dialogue, and their quests are almost always fetch quests. This, in turn, brings out the 'list of daily chores' elements of AC games, as by the time a month has passed you'll probably be logging in just to do your daily chores and see if there's any actual story quests available. Still, it's a unique, haunted little indie game and I quite enjoyed my time with it.

Spoilers below

Spoiler

A major shoutout to Ted. When you meet Ted, he asks you to bring him rocks. His following story quests also involve him asking you to bring him rocks. You can choose dialogue options that prod at his backstory and try to find his trauma, but it becomes clear that he's very much a loner who is just really interested in studying rocks. When you finally get him to open up about his death, he just tells you that the rock you brought him was a lovely rock to die looking at. He's almost comically single minded. But then, for his final quest, he just goes out and says it - you're not getting the resolution you've come to expect from ghost bears (a few of whom you will likely have helped ascend by now) from him. He's happy the way he is. And unlike all the other bears becoming gold and enlightened once you max out their hearts, he just remains there, handing out fetch quests to collect rocks every day or so. This line in particular stuck out to me:

It's refreshing to hear in a game that often deals with mental health (though I would not say this is a game about mental health, it just happens to feature prominently because, yunno, dead bears with regrets and traumas), because so often games that take on the mantle end up being about how broken neurodivergent people are, and end up being very toxic positive narratives like A Shady Part of Me. Sometimes the antisocial loner isn't broken and destitute, they're just content with their own way of doing things.

The game may flounder in some of its characterization (the conspiracy theorist bear, for instance, is just kind of pathetic and sad and a bit *too* close to self-awareness, although that may have been a deliberate choice), but it also has a lot of heartfelt moments like this.

Cities: Skylines Remastered was fun. The vanilla game is a bit barebones - lacking seasons altogether, for instance - but it's a competent real time city builder, and that is sadly a category that has been sorely lacking since the Sim City series petered out. With a healthy injection of DLC, it shapes up to be quite the game, with a wide variety of content to entertain you while you build your city from small town to booming metropolis. The mechanics can admittedly be bizarre sometimes - for instance, the 'average' lifespan of a citizen seems to just be the lifespan of all citizens, at least in an area, meaning that if you build entire residential subdivisions at once you'll be treated to massive death waves as entire portions of your city become covered in skulls and crossbones while your graveyards / crematoriums struggle to take care of all the dead bodies. The game also places a very heavy emphasis on traffic management, and so you'll probably spend as much time planning public transportation or trying to figure out alternate routes for industrial vehicles as you will actually building your city. Which isn't bad - it just makes the city planning more intricate - but may be a turn for some people who just want to watch stonks go up and not the entire road between multiple intersections be packed full of cars and trying to figure out how the fuck to fix it. The radio stations (while mostly locked behind microtransactions) provide some flavor to the game too with their unique radio hosts and ridiculous advertisements.

If I have one massive complaint about Cities: Skylines, it's probably the DLC. Well, also the subway track building, because that shit is fucking infuriating. There's no indication of whether or not a track is valid, and so I ended up having to build ridiculous amounts of intersections and hope that eventually there'd be a turn going to where I want it to go that actually works. Worse still, I'd only find out that trains can't make that turn midway into planning out a subway route, and with the way public transportation routes work it's easier to just restart the line altogether than continue it mid way after stopping. Once again, infuriating. But anyway, the DLC. Cities: Skylines DLC is kind of like Sims 4 DLC - a bunch of small, disconnected gameplay packs that end up contributing little gameplay islands to your city. This DLC will let you build large, sprawling parks manually instead of building prebuilt ones - that one will let you build your own industrial zones. Etc. The game with all its DLC is quite robust, but the thing is that none of the DLC on its own is really that great, save for a few standout ones such as Mass Transit, which adds a bunch of new transportation options. With Sims 4 expansion packs, you at least get one massive gameplay feature (usually) that'll significantly change how you play the game when accessing it - or at the very least provide a new world for you to goof around in. Cities: Skylines DLC is just kind of... there. Your city doesn't fundamentally work any differently now that the new additions are there. It doesn't help that the DLC sometimes feels rather low effort - Snowfall, for instance, finally adds seasons to the game!; except that's not quite true. It adds one season, winter, and by adds one season, I mean provides a bunch of maps which are permanently winter. Which is cool to add some variety, I guess. You can play a new game and make a city where you need snowplows. But it's... underwhelming. Granted, the DLC is much, much cheaper than any of the Sims 4's DLC, but I would still only recommend buying any of it at 50% off.

Road 96 is... kind of like an indie Telltale game. You follow a series of teenage runaways as they attempt to get to and cross the border of a despotic country to find a better life. On your way, you encounter a variety of characters, from armed robbers to revolutionaries. The game is explicitly political, and unapologetically left leaning - there are three moral choices that can significantly affect how things play out; the vagabond choices have you looking out for yourself and focusing solely on leaving, the moderate choices react to pretty much everything by wanting to vote for the progressive candidate challenging the despot in power, and then you have the revolutionary choices constantly advocate violent resistance. The writing is awkward and often a bit forced, but also charmingly goofy and interesting at times. It suffers the most, I think, due to the fact that the game essentially is a series of randomly selected encounters with a half dozen or so important characters, where you can influence their stories and such, but you only get at most 5 encounters or so before your teen either escapes or dies trying, meaning that you'll rarely ever encounter a character twice as one character, so you're always just... some new random person meeting these characters for the first time, and they all pretty much treat you the same no matter who you are. This is one of those games, I think, that is more about the vibe of a thing than anything else, though, and at that it prevails - the soundtrack is fantastic, and the art style is charming. The passing nature of the encounters does encourage the road trip feeling, even if it does clash with the overarching narrative of the game. It's a game worth playing.

The biggest problem with the game, in my opinion, is that while it has the aesthetics of a Telltale game - telling you that certain things you say / do matter, for instance, and letting you sometimes choose how to handle situations, it is in reality quite railroaded. You do not change that much in the game, but furthermore, you do not even have the ability to change your attitude at times. Forget the "yes" or "I'm an asshole, but yes" choices mocked in certain other games - at crucial moments with certain characters you will be railroaded into dialogue that is completely out of touch with who you've been trying to be in previous segments, and your choices boil down to saying the same thing, with the same attitude, but with different phrasing - sometimes for entire segments. If you come into the game with the expectation that you're experiencing a set story with minor variations and a randomly selected order that it plays out in, you'll probably not mind the fact that you can't change too much - but these segments where you're forced to react to situations in one very specific way will still be jarring.

Besides that, I've been playing more of Xing and made a bit of progress with that - haven't been using my VR headset as much as I'd like, but I'm getting there! Also one or two days away from the Far Cry 6 platinum - assuming the next insurgency doesn't glitch on me. Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure if I'm at 1/3 or 2/3 insurgencies completed, so it may be a week or two regardless. It may seem odd to complain about time gating in a post where I sing the praises of what is essentially time gating: the game, but Far Cry is the "go where you want and shoot who you want" franchise - I do not expect to be waiting on my ass for a week for the chance to repeat activities I've already completed. Also almost done with episode 4 out of 6 of Sam and Max Save the World - been slow with this one since I'm streaming it for one of my best friends.

I had expected my gaming time to significantly reduce after moving last month, however in practice doing more than a few hours of gardening at a time ends up with me being sunburnt and sore and since I typically cook enough food for a few days at a time, my schedule is actually similar to what it was before moving. My new place is lovely, overall - the kitchen alone is larger than my old room was, and it's nice being able to get my hands in the dirt again. It's been over half a decade since I was able to last (due to having moved to town) so it feels like coming full circle in a way, only this time I get to keep some of the amenities I got used to while living in town, e.g. roads that do not consist of gravel failing to conceal jagged lava rock and functioning internet. I'm actually... content with my current situation (sans the fucking wild rooster that has necessitated the usage of earplugs. His time will come.), which is a very alien thing for me.

Adding Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Marvel's Midnight Suns, and Phlegethon to my list.

Backlog Games:

Spoiler

IN PROGRESS

1. Shadow Point - 13%
  2. Lucky's Tale - 12%
  3. Along Together - 34%
  4. After The Fall - 48%
  5. The Sims 4 - 17%
  6. Fracked - 27% - To Be Removed?
  7. Far Cry 6 - 49%
  8. World War Z: Aftermath - 20%
  9. OhShape - 27%
  10. Resident Evil 2 - 29%
  11. Bravo Team - 20%
  12. Seum - 15%
  13. Sackboy's Big Adventure - 17%
  14. Trackmania - 10%
  15. KeyWe - 29%
  16. Return of the Obra Dinn - 0%
  17. Sam & Max Save the World - 50%
  18. Overcooked! All You Can Eat - 57%
  19. XING: The Land Beyond - 34%

FINISHED

1. (January) Moss - 100% :platinum:
  2. (January) Serious Sam 4 - 100% :platinum:
  3. (January) Serious Sam Collection - 100% :platinum:
  4. (February) Manifold Garden - 100% :platinum:
  5. (February) Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - 100% :platinum:
  6. (February) Stray - 100% :platinum:
  7. (February) BoxVR - 100% :platinum:
  8. (February) Cat Quest - 100% :platinum:
  9. (March) Cat Quest 2 - 100% :platinum:
  10. (March) GRID - 71% :platinum:
  11. (March) Prodeus - 100% :platinum:
  12. (March) Mundaun - 100% :platinum:
  13. (March) Creed: Rise to Glory - 100% :platinum:
  14. (March) Evil Dead: The Game - 100% :platinum:
  15. (March) Mythic Ocean - 100% :platinum:
  16. (April) Chromagun VR - 100% :platinum:
  17. (April) Grid Legends - 57% :platinum:
  18. (April) Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan - 100% :platinum:
  19. (April) Paradise Killer - 100% :platinum:
  20. (April) Ghost of Tsushima - 64% :platinum:
  21. (April) Foreclosed - 100% :platinum:
  22. (April) Q.U.B.E. 2 - 100% :platinum:
  23. (April) Star Renegades - 100% :platinum:
  24. (May) Fashion Police Squad - 100% :platinum:
  25. (May) Megaquarium - 100% :platinum:
  26. (May) Psychonauts 2 - 100% :platinum:
  27. (May) Pyre - 100% :platinum:
  28. (May) Nightmare Reaper - 100% :platinum:
  29. (June) Hero Land - 100% :platinum:
  30. (June) Two Point Hospital - 81% :platinum:
  31. (June) Shady Part Of Me - 100% :platinum:
  32. (June) Warhammer 40000: Boltgun - 100%
  33. (June) Super Daryl Deluxe - 100% :platinum:
  34. (July) Two Point Campus - 95% :platinum:
  35. (July) Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop!? - 85% :platinum:
  36. (July) Evil Genius 2 - 100% :platinum:
  37. (July) Life is Strange: True Colors - 100% :platinum:
  38. (July) Wolfenstein: The New Order - 100% :platinum:
  39. (July) Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise - 100% :platinum:
  40. (July) Neon City Riders - 100% :platinum:
  41. (July) The Town of Light - 100% :platinum:
  42. (August) Cozy Grove - 92% :platinum:
  43. (August) Cities: Skylines Remastered - 58% :platinum:
  44. (August) Road 96 - 100% :platinum:

January: Moss + Serious Sam 4 + Serious Sam Collection = 2

February: Manifold Garden + Spongebob Squarepants + Stray + BoxVR + Cat Quest = 3

March: Cat Quest 2 + GRID + Prodeus + Mundaun + Creed: Rise to Glory + Evil Dead: The Game + Mythic Ocean = 4

April: Chromagun VR + Grid Legends + Rainbow Billy: Curse of the Leviathan + Paradise Killer + Ghost of Tsushima + Foreclosed + QUBE 2 + Star Renegades = 4.5

May: Fashion Police Squad + Megaquarium + Psychonauts 2 + Pyre + Nightmare Reaper = 3

June: Hero Land + Two Point Hospital + Shady Part Of Me + Warhammer 40000: Boltgun + Super Daryl Deluxe = 3

July: Two Point Campus + Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! + Evil Genius 2 + Life is Strange: True Colors + Wolfenstein: The New Order + Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise + Neon City Riders + The Town of Light = 4.5

August: Cozy Grove + Cities Skylines: Remastered + Road 96 = 2

NOT STARTED

1. Curse of the Dead Gods - 21% - To Be Removed
  2. Pixel Ripped 1995 - 10%
  3. Forgotten Anne - 8%
  4. Groundhog Day: like father like son - 0%
  5. Iris.Fall - 0%
  6. Time Carnage - 0%
  7. Paper Beast - 3%
  8. Silence - 0%
  9. Spiritfarer - 0%
  10. Subnautica - 13%
  11. Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown - 0%
  12. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - 11%
  13. Felix The Reaper - 4%
  14. Falcon Age - 28%
  15. Wanderer - 0%
  16. The Walking Dead Onslaught - 0%
  17. BPM: Bullets Per Minute - 0% - To Be Removed?
  18. Sniper Elite VR - 1%
  19. Fortnite - 57% - To Be Removed
  20. Mass Effect Andromeda - 78% - To Be Removed
  21. Tiny Metal - 46%
  22. Killing Floor: Incursion - 34%
  23. Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot - 43%
  24. Train Station Simulator - 0% - To Be Removed
  25. Bug Fables - 0%
  26. Cities: Skylines - 1% - To Be Removed
  27. Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?! - 0%
  28. Redout 2 - 13%
  29. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - 6%
  30. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 0%
  31. Phlegethon - 2%

• Like 4

On 8/6/2023 at 2:32 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

I'm actually... content with my current situation, which is a very alien thing for me.

Well, that's great to hear, as I recall you were facing some tough challenges regarding this last year. Do consider taking measures to protect yourself from that sun damage, though! I knew an old gardener who eventually developed carcinoma, and it's not a fun thing to deal with. It may be a hassle to don a wide-brimmed hat, aviator sunglasses, and slather on sunscreen before you venture outside, but it's certainly worthwhile in the long run. Prevents wrinkles, too!

Aw, your noisy gentlemen issue reminds me of when the loud calls of a neighbor's peacocks would emanate through my walls in the mornings. Not that I'm a fan of the exotic pet trade, but as something of a birb enjoyer, I never really minded hearing that natural alarm clock. Sadly, that guy and his delightful feathered couple are long since deceased. I took to wearing earplugs at night for other reasons, however, and it does require an adjustment period when you have tinnitus, because the constant ringing becomes so much more noticeable while they're in.

Now for my usual update: Monster Boy is complete! The final save file shows 16 hours and 41 minutes, which is a lot shorter than I expected, since I had previously read that the game takes around 25 hours.

8ztEQAr2_o.jpg

Honestly, I have no familiarity whatsoever with the apparently beloved Wonder Boy series, responsible for inspiring this spiritual successor; I guess it managed to elude me back in the day, somehow or another. Nevertheless, you know I can't resist playing any decent Metroidvania that comes my way, and Monster Boy is undoubtedly a solid contribution to this addictive subgenre, featuring a fun transformation mechanic, vibrant visuals, and an expansive interconnected world to explore, including challenging dungeons chock-full of devious puzzles and heart-pounding platforming sections. However, the experience is also marred by several odd design decisions I found rather irritating, which did result in the occasional frustrating moment. Considering how many exceptional action-platformers have been released in the past few years, this one felt slightly dated, but perhaps I'm just spoiled at this point.

Following an intro in the style of a Saturday morning cartoon, wherein the virtues of our eponymous shapeshifting hero are extolled in song, the game begins with a blue-haired boy named Jin, watching helplessly as his drunken uncle Nabu turns everyone in the kingdom into various anthropomorphic animals, using some magic staff he found. Of course, the true big bad responsible for ol' unc's abnormal behavior is a generic evil sorcerer dude with nefarious plans, requiring Jin to embark on a quest to gather five powerful orbs hidden throughout the world, each granting him a different animal form possessing unique abilities of its own. Supposedly, when at last brought together, these will finally dispel the curse currently wreaking havoc in the kingdom, but Jin should probably hurry, because King Leonidas intends to execute poor Nabu for his crimes!

It's obviously not the deepest story in gaming history, but for a gameplay-centric title like this, it gets the job done, providing Jin with a reason to run right and left for 15–20 hours. Character dialogue is delivered entirely via text, lacking voice acting, and the writing is unfortunately pretty dry and uninteresting. For the most part, NPCs will offer hints about what to do next, or make comments on the situation at hand, with a few zero-effort jokes sprinkled in. Ultra lame "bacon tho" quips regarding Jin's pig form aren't exactly the pinnacle of comedy, so the game would've greatly benefited from a more lively, humorous script. Oh, well.

Visually, it's quite striking. The art style is wonderfully crisp, colorful, and cartoonish, with adorable designs for the multitude of animalized citizens, so I've got few complaints in that department. Transitions between animations could've been smoother, though, as they're noticeably abrupt at times, especially when crouching rapidly. Soundtrack-wise, the tunes are certainly good, and how could they not be, looking at the game's lineup of prolific composers? Monster Boy features music from the likes of Michiru Yamane, Yuzo Koshiro, and Motoi Sakuraba, among others. That said, a number of these pieces just sound like blatant remixes of their previous work, making the OST kind of uninspired overall. I definitely noticed familiar motifs from Castlevania, Bloodstained, and others I can't quite place (could be Duck Tales). I assume they wanted their paychecks with minimal effort.

Specifically, Jin is capable of changing into a pig, snake, frog, lion, and dragon, along with restoring his human body late in the game. Initially, he's stuck in the pig transformation for a good chunk of time, navigating a sewer area. In this porcine state, he can cast a repertoire of offensive spells, such as vertical lightning to activate special mechanisms, and bombs to blast certain obstructions out of his path. Piggy can also perform a butt slam, stunning enemies, and pressing ground switches. Most importantly, however, is his ability to sniff out secret truffle upgrades, which permanently increase the number of spells he can cast upon being consumed. Acquired next is the snake form, able to slither along mossy surfaces, even on the ceiling, and squeeze through openings far too narrow for the other transformations to enter. Slithery lil' sneaky snake can spit corrosive venom at foes blocking the way, too, not to mention carry key objects in his belly, like cogs necessary to open sealed doors.

Further on, he finds himself turned into a frog warrior, whose tongue functions as a sort of grappling hook, letting him slingshot himself around and interact with switches to manipulate mechanisms. Even more useful is his amphibian ability to swim swiftly through watery areas, without being limited by a breath meter as the other forms are. Sometime after, the brawny lion transformation is unlocked, allowing him to charge long distances through susceptible walls, as well as dash upward through similar blockages. Lastly, Jin obtains the dragon orb, which is likely the most helpful transformation of all, since it eventually becomes augmented by a talisman, enabling him to fly anywhere, shoot fireballs, and unleash strong fire breath, all without the hindrance of a stamina bar. Additionally, a previously unknown sixth orb exists, finally reverting Jin to his default human form.

Himself once again, he can utilize blindingly fast chain dashing to pass through hazards like lasers and enemy projectiles unharmed, along with boosting himself to impressive heights when it's directed above. He's also the only character with a combo slash attack, and an overhead swing. Disappointingly, the game is nearly over by the time you return to this form, so you don't get to employ it very much before the credits roll. Maybe if you needed to do some backtracking to seek out the many collectible chests (containing health upgrades, armor crafting material, etc.), human Jin would've been more valuable, but I had already looted everything beforehand. Thanks for the walkthrough, Neoseeker!

Most forms, being anthropomorphic in nature, can equip a wide selection of gear—swords, shields, armor, boots, and bangles—which bestow abilities of their own, such as the boots letting Jin double jump and walk on clouds, armor emitting light to illuminate pitch black rooms, a shield that reflects light beams to power crystal devices, and so forth. To reach and clear the game's tricky dungeons, where the orbs are located, Jin must often use his assortment of transformations in tandem, while switching gear as necessary, to solve clever puzzles and traverse precarious stretches of platforming. It's just a shame that half of your playtime is spent in the radial menu, and the more cumbersome pause menu, frequently swapping between forms and equipment. Surely, there had to be a more elegant solution for this. Some manner of button shortcuts might not have interrupted the flow of gameplay constantly, for instance. These gauntlets do provide a reasonable degree of challenge, though, even for jump and run veterans like myself.

Beyond the musty sewer map mentioned above, Monster Boy is set in the standard locations you'd expect this type of game to offer. You've got your forest, jungle temple, lava level, ice area, tropical beach, and so forth. The bosses of these regions are all adequate, albeit not terribly complicated to figure out, as you have abundant health to work with, making it possible to brute force some of them by tanking damage and mashing attacks. Outside of the couple which are structured more like puzzle fights, I rarely felt pushed to learn their patterns properly. Easily the most interesting stage must be the haunted house, focused around a mechanic allowing Jin to possess ordinary objects in the spirit realm through entering portals. By shifting things like tables and chandeliers into different configurations, he creates paths for his animal forms to reach the next device required for progress. Moreover, it includes an amusing segment necessitating him to pursue a mischievous ghost into various items, which are like miniature levels he needs to finish, in order to chase the ghost out of them. It was a complex and somewhat confusing place, but definitely the most impressive section of the game, and I enjoyed the cool art design exhibited there as well. The mansion is cluttered with mildly creepy elements in the foreground and background, such as dolls whose eyes move to follow you.

To discuss a number of other aspects that irked me a bit, this is among the rare 2D action titles that doesn't allow you to drop through platforms and walkways by holding down and pressing the jump button. Obviously, they had intended solutions for each screen, but it still feels bad and restrictive when you've developed decades of muscle memory to perform this maneuver, and nothing happens when you try. Let me drop through certain types of platforms, at least? It's also strange that only the human form, which you don't have access to until the home stretch, has a reliable method of attacking upward, considering how many annoying flying baddies infest the world. Speaking of those, they sure respawn quickly sometimes! There's nothing worse than being endlessly harassed by mosquitoes and whatnot while you're attempting to navigate platforms. Just stay dead, why doncha?! Furthermore, some traps seem to be running on a global timer, meaning that every attempt to survive a given obstacle course is slightly different by the time you make it back to the room you died in. Now, those fireballs responsible for your prior demise are falling in an unfamiliar pattern, causing you to die yet again... Please, simply reset the room upon player entry, giving me a predictable pattern to learn!

An altogether worthwhile adventure, and a nice addition to anyone's collection of Metroidvania platinums, but in an era where fantastic stuff like Rogue Legacy 2, The Messenger, Hollow Knight, and Blasphemous exist, it feels a little underwhelming by comparison. From what I've heard, though, it's a worthy successor to the franchise I never played, so fans of Wonder Boy should be apt to enjoy it more than I did. Decent PS+ Extra acquisition on the whole!

-Completed-

1. Dreaming Sarah - January 9th (+1.0)

2. Streets of Rage 4: Mr X. Nightmare - January 10th (+0.5)

3. Afterparty - January 13th (+0.5)

4. Mortal Shell: The Virtuous Cycle - January 21st (+0.5)

5. Gunlord X - January 25th (+0.5)

6. GreedFall - February 6th (+1.0)

7. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - February 8th (+0.5)

8. Shu - February 23rd (+0.5)

9. Psychonauts 2 - March 4th (+1.0)

10. Habroxia 2 - March 8th (+0.5)

11. Two Crude - March 10th (+0.5)

12. The Outer Worlds - April 2nd (+1.0)

13. Skautfold: Shrouded in Sanity - April 4th (+0.5)

14. Valley - April 6th (+0.5)

15. Jydge - April 25th (+0.5)

16. Superhot - May 1st (+1.0)

17. Superhot: Mind Control Delete - May 5th (+0.5)

18. AER: Memories of Old - May 5th (+0.5)

19. Little Nightmares - May 7th (+0.5)

20. Little Nightmares II - May 9th (+0.5)

21. Amnesia: Rebirth - May 14th (+0.5)

22. Ghost of a Tale - May 18th (+0.5)

23. The Persistence - May 27th (+0.5)

24. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Fearless - June 1st (+1.0)

25. Mafia: Definitive Edition - June 2nd (+0.5)

26. The First Tree - June 5th (+0.5)

27. Trek to Yomi - June 11th (+0.5)

28. The Forgotten City - June 17th (+0.5)

29. Chicken Police - June 18th (+0.5)

30. The Gardens Between - June 27th (+0.5)

31. Tacoma - June 27th (+0.5)

32. Stray - June 29th (+0.5)

33. Omno - July 2nd (+1.0)

34. Axiom Verge 2 - July 3rd (+0.5)

35. Tails of Iron - July 8th (+0.5)

36. Rogue Legacy 2 - July 27th (+0.5)

37. Deliver Us The Moon - August 1st (+1.0)

38. I Am Dead - August 2nd (+0.5)

39. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - August 6th (+0.5)

40. 11-11: Memories Retold - August 8th (+0.5)

Backlog:

1. Alan Wake Remastered

2. A Tale of Paper

3. Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood

4. Death's Door

5. Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights

6. Endling: Extinction is Forever

7. Ghosts 'n Goblins: Resurrection

8. Moonscars

9. Pinstripe

10. Resident Evil 3

11. Rising Hell

12. Xeodrifter

Perhaps I'll do Memories Retold next, but I'm not sure.

Edited by StraightVege
August 8th update - completed 11-11: Memories Retold (24 points).
  • Like 3

August refresh is finally here! I’ve reconfigured my backlog list from 34 to 10 mostly* doable games (by adding some new and subtracting many others). It’s comprised of games I’m working on for other challenges, currently playing, or have been in the backlog for too long. Since I’m too far behind to take any meaningful placement in the top, the plan is to finish this list by the end of the year. And add to it sparingly, if needed. (I'll be playing too much Baldur's Gate 3 next month; hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew.)

Spoiler

Completed 

1. (JAN) Cult of the Lamb 
  2. (JAN) Bugsnax 
  3. (JAN) Pinball Heroes 
  4. (FEB) Saints Row: The Third 
  5. (MAR) Hogwarts Legacy 
  6. (MAR) Bunny Raiders 
  7. (MAR) Dysmantle 
  8. (MAR) Ape Escape 
  9. (MAR) Biomutant 
  10. (APR) The Artful Escape 
  11. (APR) Omno 
  12. (MAY) Horizon Forbidden West [DLC]
  13. (MAY) Yet Another Zombie Defense HD 
  14. (MAY) Back 4 Blood 
  15. (MAY) Life Is Strange: True Colors 
  16. (MAY) Deliver Us The Moon 
  17. (JUN) The Last of Us Part 1 
  18. (JUL) My Big Sister 

Backlog 

1. Chernobylite 
  2. Cyberpunk 2077
  3. Cult of the Lamb [DLC]
  4. Diablo IV - 55% 
  5. Disney Dreamlight Valley - 98% 
  6. Dragon Age [DLC] 
  7. Hundred Days 
  8. I Was A Teenage Exocolonist 
  9. The Order: 1886 
  10. Word Search By POWGI - 23% 

• Like 4

January Completion

Demon's Souls (PS5)  :platinum: January 29th, 2023

February Completions

Catherine: Full Body :platinum: February 3, 2023

Prototype :platinum: February 22, 2023

March Completions

Deadbolt :platinum: March 5, 2023

PowerWash Simulator :platinum: March 22, 2023

April Completions

Jump King :platinum: April 2, 2023

Active Neurons 2 :platinum: April 2, 2023

Ape Escape :platinum: April 2, 2023

Death Squared :platinum: April 8, 2023

Sifu :platinum: April 13, 2023

Dirt 5 :platinum: April 18, 2023

May Completions

Hot Wheels Unleashed :platinum: May 3, 2023

Unravel 2 :platinum: May 14, 2023

Disco Elysium :platinum: May 27, 2023

June Completions

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice :platinum: June 22, 2023

Tchia :platinum: June 25, 2023

July Completions

Wuppo :platinum: July 6, 2023

Full Throttle :platinum: July 9, 2023

God of War II :platinum: July 15, 2023

Toem DLC :platinum: July 16, 2023

Ape Academy 2 :platinum: July 16, 2023

Hogwarts Legacy :platinum: July 27, 2023

LA Noire :platinum: July 30, 2023

August Completions

God of War: Chains of Olympus :platinum: August 4, 2023

God of War III :platinum: August 8, 2023

A few more completions and a few more games to add to my list.

Please add the following to my backlog:

Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Concrete Genie

Hardspace Shipbreaker (1%)

Moving Out (19%)

Neodori Forever (20%)

Thumper

Finished up LA Noire and a couple more God of War games to start off August well. God of War: Chains of Olympus was a simple game ported over from the PSP, it has the same sort of layout as other GoW games, you do a bit of fighting that's mostly mashing buttons, do some puzzles and have cinematic boss battles sprinkled throughout. This game definitely doesn't hold up to the original trilogy in story and the graphics are not meant for a tv screen but its not a bad game. 

God of War III was a really good game with a fun story, more weapons than any prior games letting me button mash with variety, not too hard puzzles and even more massive boss battles that are as fun to experience as to play. It also had the easiest extra challenges of the GoW games I've played which was nice to not bang my head against the wall for the last trophy.

• Like 2

Was gonna wait on doing this update but the Quake 2 remaster just dropped and I've been wanting to play that again for ages. Platinumed Far Cry 6. I don't think anyone really needs a proper review of it - it's Far Cry. Very pretty game and a solid argument against the 'more true next gen games!' crowd - I just know if it was current gen exclusive it'd probably be capped at 1080p / 60fps like certain other games. What's the point of extra detail if you can't even see it? Gameplay wise it's pretty much more of the same - you're able to modify weapons which is pretty cool, although armor piercing bullets are massively overpowered as you can kill even the most armored enemies with one headshot that way. Locking perks to clothes was a bit annoying, although having specific builds was kind of cool. Got very repetitive though, and I think I preferred Far Cry 5 overall.

Also started Marvel's Midnight Suns. Absolute joy to play so far - really enjoying the mixture of turn based combat missions and social aspects. But if you're not a fan of running around a hub area talking to superheroes you'll probably find it tedious. I'd been waiting for a good sale on this game since the start of the year, so 40$ for the base game and season pass was an absolute steal for me.

Adding Quake II to my list. Will probably do a removal post at the end of the month, but honestly my goal is to get enough of a lead that I can potentially tank 30-40 unfinished games and stay in first place. Will definitely have to trim the VR portion of my list down.

Backlog Games:

Spoiler

IN PROGRESS

1. Shadow Point - 13%
  2. Lucky's Tale - 12%
  3. Along Together - 34%
  4. After The Fall - 48%
  5. The Sims 4 - 17%
  6. Fracked - 27% - To Be Removed?
  7. World War Z: Aftermath - 20%
  8. OhShape - 27%
  9. Resident Evil 2 - 29%
  10. Bravo Team - 20%
  11. Seum - 15%
  12. Sackboy's Big Adventure - 17%
  13. Trackmania - 10%
  14. KeyWe - 29%
  15. Return of the Obra Dinn - 0%
  16. Sam & Max Save the World - 50%
  17. Overcooked! All You Can Eat - 57%
  18. XING: The Land Beyond - 34%
  19. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 15%

FINISHED

1. (January) Moss - 100% :platinum:
  2. (January) Serious Sam 4 - 100% :platinum:
  3. (January) Serious Sam Collection - 100% :platinum:
  4. (February) Manifold Garden - 100% :platinum:
  5. (February) Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - 100% :platinum:
  6. (February) Stray - 100% :platinum:
  7. (February) BoxVR - 100% :platinum:
  8. (February) Cat Quest - 100% :platinum:
  9. (March) Cat Quest 2 - 100% :platinum:
  10. (March) GRID - 71% :platinum:
  11. (March) Prodeus - 100% :platinum:
  12. (March) Mundaun - 100% :platinum:
  13. (March) Creed: Rise to Glory - 100% :platinum:
  14. (March) Evil Dead: The Game - 100% :platinum:
  15. (March) Mythic Ocean - 100% :platinum:
  16. (April) Chromagun VR - 100% :platinum:
  17. (April) Grid Legends - 57% :platinum:
  18. (April) Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan - 100% :platinum:
  19. (April) Paradise Killer - 100% :platinum:
  20. (April) Ghost of Tsushima - 64% :platinum:
  21. (April) Foreclosed - 100% :platinum:
  22. (April) Q.U.B.E. 2 - 100% :platinum:
  23. (April) Star Renegades - 100% :platinum:
  24. (May) Fashion Police Squad - 100% :platinum:
  25. (May) Megaquarium - 100% :platinum:
  26. (May) Psychonauts 2 - 100% :platinum:
  27. (May) Pyre - 100% :platinum:
  28. (May) Nightmare Reaper - 100% :platinum:
  29. (June) Hero Land - 100% :platinum:
  30. (June) Two Point Hospital - 81% :platinum:
  31. (June) Shady Part Of Me - 100% :platinum:
  32. (June) Warhammer 40000: Boltgun - 100%
  33. (June) Super Daryl Deluxe - 100% :platinum:
  34. (July) Two Point Campus - 95% :platinum:
  35. (July) Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop!? - 85% :platinum:
  36. (July) Evil Genius 2 - 100% :platinum:
  37. (July) Life is Strange: True Colors - 100% :platinum:
  38. (July) Wolfenstein: The New Order - 100% :platinum:
  39. (July) Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise - 100% :platinum:
  40. (July) Neon City Riders - 100% :platinum:
  41. (July) The Town of Light - 100% :platinum:
  42. (August) Cozy Grove - 92% :platinum:
  43. (August) Cities: Skylines Remastered - 58% :platinum:
  44. (August) Road 96 - 100% :platinum:
  45. (August) Far Cry 6 - 54% :platinum:

January: Moss + Serious Sam 4 + Serious Sam Collection = 2

February: Manifold Garden + Spongebob Squarepants + Stray + BoxVR + Cat Quest = 3

March: Cat Quest 2 + GRID + Prodeus + Mundaun + Creed: Rise to Glory + Evil Dead: The Game + Mythic Ocean = 4

April: Chromagun VR + Grid Legends + Rainbow Billy: Curse of the Leviathan + Paradise Killer + Ghost of Tsushima + Foreclosed + QUBE 2 + Star Renegades = 4.5

May: Fashion Police Squad + Megaquarium + Psychonauts 2 + Pyre + Nightmare Reaper = 3

June: Hero Land + Two Point Hospital + Shady Part Of Me + Warhammer 40000: Boltgun + Super Daryl Deluxe = 3

July: Two Point Campus + Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! + Evil Genius 2 + Life is Strange: True Colors + Wolfenstein: The New Order + Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise + Neon City Riders + The Town of Light = 4.5

August: Cozy Grove + Cities Skylines: Remastered + Road 96 + Far Cry 6 = 2.5

NOT STARTED

1. Curse of the Dead Gods - 21% - To Be Removed
  2. Pixel Ripped 1995 - 10%
  3. Forgotten Anne - 8%
  4. Groundhog Day: like father like son - 0%
  5. Iris.Fall - 0%
  6. Time Carnage - 0%
  7. Paper Beast - 3%
  8. Silence - 0%
  9. Spiritfarer - 0%
  10. Subnautica - 13%
  11. Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown - 0%
  12. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - 11%
  13. Felix The Reaper - 4%
  14. Falcon Age - 28%
  15. Wanderer - 0%
  16. The Walking Dead Onslaught - 0%
  17. BPM: Bullets Per Minute - 0% - To Be Removed?
  18. Sniper Elite VR - 1%
  19. Fortnite - 57% - To Be Removed
  20. Mass Effect Andromeda - 78% - To Be Removed
  21. Tiny Metal - 46%
  22. Killing Floor: Incursion - 34%
  23. Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot - 43%
  24. Train Station Simulator - 0% - To Be Removed
  25. Bug Fables - 0%
  26. Cities: Skylines - 1% - To Be Removed
  27. Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?! - 0%
  28. Redout 2 - 13%
  29. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - 6%
  30. Phlegethon - 2%
  31. Quake II

• Like 1

Keeping the August momentum going, I powered through 11-11: Memories Retold recently! Spent nearly 8 hours with it, probably a half-hour of which was unnecessary, due to an early slip-up on my part.  :facepalm:

ADxDFv9F_o.jpg

What is this? Not my finest platinum screenshot, admittedly.

A rather interesting 2018 narrative-focused adventure I somehow overlooked until now, Memories Retold takes place during the tail end of World War I, putting you in the boots of dual protagonists on opposing sides of the conflict, whose stories occur in parallel. Frequently, you'll be switching rapidly between character perspectives, sometimes even with the duo in proximity to solve very basic puzzles together, such as one guy operating a lever to transport the other up and down on a lift. Their individual actions do affect each other's stories a fair bit, although these events are all scripted, so it's not as if player choice has a significant impact on the events. You can select options involving some letters and photos sent back home to family members at certain points, but this only alters a small amount of dialogue.

Perhaps the most novel aspect here is the "painterly" visual style, making the world resemble the blurry brush strokes of impressionist art, which has a certain dreamy quality that does succeed in evoking greater emotion in particular scenes. Other times, it merely results in the game being needlessly difficult to see clearly, mainly in darker areas, so I'm torn over how I feel about this design choice on the whole. I certainly can't say I've ever seen anything else akin to it, though, which has to count for something, considering about 35 years of gaming has filtered through my noggin by now.

On one side of the coin is Harry Lambert, a naive yet talented young Canadian photographer. Well, talented when I'm not controlling him, at least. Eager to impress Julia, his childhood friend whom he secretly harbors romantic feelings for, Harry enlists as a war photographer/propagandist at the behest of Major Barrett, shortly after meeting the impressive British war hero in the shop Julia's father owns. Foolishly, he hopes that landing his photos in the newspapers and returning home in uniform will finally earn him Julia's affections, along with the respect of her stern father, who isn't especially fond of the boy. Unfortunately, he'll soon learn that war isn't fun and games, and realize that Barrett isn't nearly as perfect as he portrays himself to be.

Conversely, there's the German engineer, Kurt Waldner, a peaceful older gentleman who's worried sick about his son's well-being, due to hearing grave news on the radio regarding a unit containing troops from his small town. Misguided as it may be, Kurt decides to leave his loving wife and sick daughter behind, enlisting in the faint hopes of learning Max's whereabouts, to bring him home safely against all odds. While Kurt was in the midst of building Zeppelins for the war effort when he learned of his beloved boy's potential death, he doesn't care one iota about Germany's victory; saving his missing child is his single-minded concern throughout.

Although on opposite sides, and obviously possessing fundamentally different motivations for entering the war, they nevertheless wind up crossing paths by chance, and tenuously forge a friendship. Neither can even understand the other, beyond a few words, but the men share an important personality trait: they both detest violence. The segments wherein they interact and cooperate to survive are among the game's best, but unfortunately, these are few and far between. The voice performances for each are undoubtedly solid as well, with Elijah Wood giving life to Harry, and Sebastian Koch as Kurt, which I suppose is a selling point for the game, since audiences generally love hearing big-name actors doing voice work in media. Personally, I'd rather see proper voice actors get the opportunity, and they usually do a superior job anyway, but it's fine.

Harry's sections largely consist of taking dramatic photos, often of Major Barrett's supposed heroism, in addition to some simple fetch quest tasks. Furthermore, he can deploy his trained pigeon friend to interact with distant objects, or knock down out-of-reach collectibles. Yes, you read that correctly—Harry meets a bird buddy in dire circumstances, and they proceed to spend most of the game happily perched upon Harry's shoulder. Meanwhile, Kurt's gameplay can be slightly more involved, requiring that he crawl through claustrophobic, underground trench tunnels to eavesdrop on enemy activities using a stethoscope-like device, or repairing broken radios by connecting wires and adjusting knobs. Naturally, Kurt also has his own playable animal companion in Lotty, a black and white cat who maneuvers about the environment similarly to Stray's feline, making them able to accomplish equivalent goals to the pigeon.

Whenever the chance presents itself, both men are fond of distracting themselves from the horrors of war with a pleasant card game, too, which is reminiscent of one I grew up playing, called "Slap Jack." Quickly press the action button whenever you see cards with matching suits to earn a point! Winning these is a necessary part of the platinum journey, but thankfully, they're quite easy. And, if you like gathering collectibles, Memories Retold surely has plenty for you to do—136 available in total, revealing fascinating historical tidbits about the time period, and which eventually unlock brief making-of videos when you grab enough of 'em.

As I've stated in the past ad nauseam, I'm not partial to collecting tons of detritus in games anymore, but these are definitely more worthwhile than most, dampening the pain of seeking them out somewhat. That said, I did encounter a strange issue related to this: due to me exhausting Harry's camera film roll early on to pop a particular trophy, the game apparently saved the empty condition of the camera stubbornly well, even persisting through chapter restarts, thus making it impossible to photograph a needed collectible on the boat. As a result, I had to restart the playthrough, and redo the intro bits for each character in their entirety. Rookie mistake, maybe, but it's extremely odd how this save system functions. 

Now, speaking of those cute critters of theirs, the game seems to imply that the pigeon and cat are actually guardian angels of some sort, creating a number of serendipitous coincidences to keep the two fellows alive. Look, much as I enjoy seeing animals treated kindly and portrayed well in games, I thought this plot element was pretty silly, and detracted from an otherwise grounded story. In fact, it all kinda goes off the rails towards the end, with Harry and Kurt acting out of character to make way for a melodramatic conclusion with multiple endings. Before you know it, Harry is piloting a homemade hot air balloon to rescue Kurt from himself or some such nonsense, accompanied by an overbearing soundtrack, trying ever so hard to be epic.

It's heavy-handed and over the top, not to mention contrived. If only they had the courage to tell a bespoke story, instead of attempting to get so damn videogamey with the utterly unnecessary branching path stuff, Memories Retold likely would've turned out all the better for it. Even worse, based on various dialogue, the entire finale seemed to be motivated by a photograph Harry snapped of one character pointing a gun at another, but there's a massive issue with that in my experience: I apparently never took the friggin' photo in the first place! Guess I missed an obvious opportunity somewhere, but the sequence made even less sense because of this.

Overall, the game is nothing special mechanically, and the cool art design has mixed results in practice. Narratively, it falters terribly in the final stretch, I think. Flaws aside, however, it does manage to deliver its message reasonably well in the end. War is hell, and it's not as simplistic as good versus evil; both protagonists are deeply flawed and deeply human, so you can sympathize with their plight easily. You've gotta admit, a story-heavy WWI game depicting characters on either side fairly (while simultaneously capturing the appearance of a painting) isn't exactly commonplace, making it sufficiently unique to be worth one playthrough before it leaves PS+ Extra someday.

For the moment, here's my August progress alone, to reduce the size of this reply. I already edited the above list to reflect the changes in full.

37. Deliver Us The Moon - August 1st (+1.0)

38. I Am Dead - August 2nd (+0.5)

39. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - August 6th (+0.5)

40. 11-11: Memories Retold - August 8th (+0.5)

Because I couldn't decide what to play next, I put my remaining number of games into a random generator, and it chose... #1, Alan Wake Remastered. Like it or not, suppose that's my next target! ?

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 2

Okay this is my August removal post. I’ve decided to remove

- Titanfall 2

- Catherine: Full Body

- 9 Monkeys of Shaolin

- Redeemer

- Paradise Killer

I haven’t felt like going back to finish up Titanfall 2 despite enjoying the story a lot. I’m almost done with Catherine, but my kids are scared of the game and I’m juggling a few horror/violent games in the evening which means I don’t have the spare time to play, especially since Catherine requires so many playthroughs to get the gold medals and rng levels done.

9 Monkeys of Shaolin and Redeemer left plus extra, I might buy them in a sale, but I’m not interested in them enough to get full price. Paradise Killer is a game I do really want to play, but I don’t want to feel rushed to finish it, so I’ll be playing it slowly outside of the event.

I would like to add Fe, The Gardens Between, Humanity and Dodgeball Academia to my list though

Edited by Hurricane_Tanya
  • Like 3

On 8/12/2023 at 11:03 PM, Hurricane_Tanya said:

I would like to add Fe, The Gardens Between,

Loved both of these. Excellent choices; hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

45% done with Wake, by the way. Pretty fun trophy requirements so far, but those driving bits aren't great.

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 2

August update #2

New Games:

1. Hakuoki: Stories of The Shinsengumi

2. It Takes Two

3. RPGolf Legends

Backlog:

1. Ar no Surge: Ode to an Unborn Star
2. Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
3. Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key
4. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream

5. Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

6. Hakuoki: Kyoto Blossoms

7. Hakuoki: Stories of The Shinsengumi

8. Hatsune Miku VR

9. It Takes Two
10. Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World

11. RPGolf Legends
12. Rune Factory 4

Completed List:

1. January
DJMax Technika Tune :platinum:

2. February
DJMax Respect :platinum:
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone DX :platinum: 
Deemo Reborn :platinum: 
Superbeat: Xonic :platinum: 

3. March
Overcooked - 100%
Overecooked! All You Can Eat :platinum: 
Hogwarts Legacy :platinum: 
Code Vein :platinum: 
Scarlet Nexus :platinum: 
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered :platinum: 

4. April
Valkyria Chronicles 4 :platinum: 
Shining Resonance Refrain :platinum: 

5. May
Persona 3 Portable :platinum: 
Persona 4 Golden :platinum: 
Persona 5 Royal :platinum: 
Persona 5 Strikers :platinum: 
Untitled Goose Game :platinum: 
Pac-Man World Re-Pac :platinum: 
Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 100%
Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series :platinum: 

6. June
Octopath Traveler II :platinum: 

7. July
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth :platinum: 
Valkyrie Elysium :platinum:

Edited by Crancian

First real update of the challenge.
Platinum trophy was achieved on Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Sackboy: The Big Adventure 54% -> 87%
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 45%
Call of Duty: Ghosts 35%
The Quarry: 65%
Life is Strange: True Colours: 40%
Moving Out: 37%
Kingdom hearts: Melody of Memory
Control (PS5) 9%
Hades 3%
Bioshock 2 (ps4) 0%
Dark Pictures: House of Ashes (3%)
Last of Us Part 2 (12%)
Spiderman 1%
Spiderman: Miles Morales 0%

Completed:
:platinum: Star Wars: Jedi: Survivor (100%)