RPG Mania 2023 - The Octo-Path to Redemption - Congrats to SWWDevereux! (Completed)

30th update: 

Demoniaca: Everlasting Night: 100+(6x7+2x5+1x16)68-22.46+50(speedrun 12/75)=195.54

Call of Cthulhu: 100+(6x1+2x14+1x34)68-22.11+50(speedrun 87/6784)=195.89

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood: 100+(6x2+2x15+1x26)68-12.67+50(speedrun 27/1637)=205.33

Edited by YokA_sun
  • Like 3

The 2023 event has finished!, 2024 is available for anyone to join if they haven't seen it or is on the fence.

I'll be totting up scores in the week ahead and I know the top spot is close between @YokA_sun and @SWWDevereux.

Last call to everyone who hasn't posted in a while and just to let me know what fun games you played up until April this year.

( @kingofbattle8174, @CokeEnnyday, @Lord_Bane999, @DEI2EK, @Sanevin, @blu3st4rdust305, @ApriIis, @Eternal_Rach, @fisty123, @serrated-banner9 - haven't heard from you guys in a while) Let me know about the RPG's you finished this year :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

So finally I have totted up the scores and amended some sheets but the final standings are here!

With not even 102 points separating them, @SWWDevereux and @YokA_sun scored in excess of 50,000 points alone with everyone else that scored in the competition amounting to just over 56,800 points! The winner of this year is @SWWDevereux!!!! @YokA_sun but up a huge fight right until the end and both have racked up the highest scores ever by any competitor in RPG Mania. @Laburnski in a lonely third with the familiar @AlterArchuria posting a respectable total in fourth and newcomer @Xylobe taking fifth spot!

This season we had 3 people break 10k points, 12 people over 2000 points and only 4 people who didn't have an RPG points finish this year. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted their RPG's and shared the joys and in @acasser's case sometimes horror stories with trying to finish some of the monsters we have in our backlogs. I hope RPG 2024 will be just as successful if as high scoring.

So I don't wanna be THAT guy after the competition ended since everyone did there best but i feel just with fairness of the competition and it being this close I had to do a double check just because there were some games that were in that grey area throughout the competition that got a pass but I will let those be since what I will bring up could just be human error.

So @Psy-Tychist I just wanted to bring up these two points since it would change stuff drastically who has won and in no means am I going after SWW with any kinda intent but I feel like his list gave me a few red flags after checking it with his post. So I'm just going to point out these two main things that stuck out to me at least.

1. He did Persona 3 Portable and Persona 3 Reload which he got points and stacker for both but it would be clearly against this rule:

There is no stacking in the event. Remasters and games with similar naming conventions (eg. Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice Delta) which share the same base game with no real difference in gameplay or content, only one can be considered for points.

So by that it shouldn't have counted since it clearly falls into that category being a remake of said original game and only one should be counted.

2. Then there is this addition of Crystal Defenders which is on his list, on its own wouldn't be too bad but it wasn't posted first off so it shouldn't have been added and it had that FF stacker added which is weird because if you look at his SWW post after crystal chronicle his FF stacker number do not match up to what the spreadsheet has which makes me think it was added later and hence the wrong numbers. Lastly not to mention is that the game in question isn't listed as a RPG on any site which make it go against this rule:

2) To determine what games qualify, it should specify RPG on this site under Genre on this site. There will be instances where some games will have RPG as a genre but have no RPG elements or even actually be an RPG. In this instance, check on the thread or use one of these three websites to compare between to come to a consensus (PlaystationTrophies.org, PSNProfiles and TrueTrophies). 

While there were other issues like Neptunia that one I leave alone because its just weird how PSNP has it listed as. But going by either of those two points I listed I feel like the result should've been different if you take in consideration either of them given how close the competition was, I'm not saying there was foul play or anything because at the end of the day either of those rules could've easily been forgotten hence why they were overlooked and the numbers were off. So I hope your fair and take in consideration that you might need to double check it again since clearly some kinda error has happened that you either missed or entered. Because at the end of the day we are just a rag tag bunch that like RPGs so everyone should get a fair shot.

Posted (edited)

Oh snap I didn't see the notif until now! I was ready to concede to Yoka after he went full robot mode towards the end (seriously, doing games like FF15 in 2-3 days??) Scarily impressive. But the FF/Neptunia series stackers came in clutch!

@AlterArchuria

To address your points:

On 5/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, AlterArchuria said:

He did Persona 3 Portable and Persona 3 Reload which he got points and stacker for both but it would be clearly against this rule:

Persona 3 Reload is obviously extremely different from Persona 3 Portable with the latter being mostly a visual novel and Reload having tons of extra content, combat mechanics and challenges. This isn't a case of playing the same game twice. Especially with my whole main playthrough being the Fem route in Portable.

Then there is this addition of Crystal Defenders which is on his list, on its own wouldn't be too bad but it wasn't posted first off so it shouldn't have been added and it had that FF stacker added which is weird because if you look at his SWW post after crystal chronicle his FF stacker number do not match up to what the spreadsheet has which makes me think it was added later and hence the wrong numbers. 

Crystal Defenders was added to the list back in November when I played it but the stacker was missing and added later so that's why the order of the stacker points is off. The number of points is correct overall though.

Lastly not to mention is that the game in question isn't listed as a RPG on any site which make it go against this rule:

Some games completed this year certainly skirted the border of being an RPG but if we were to start striking points then we'd have to check over tons more games. Some examples of games off the top of my head that arguably may not be RPGs from Yoka's list:

Demoniaca: Everlasting Night - no RPG tag on True Trophies or Playstation Trophies; Metroidvania, Platformer, Action. The only light RPG mechanics is has collecting souls to unlock new combo moves. If that were enough to make it an RPG then every action game ever would qualify.

Young Souls - no RPG tag on True Trophies or Playstation Trophies; Beat 'em Up, Action. The only RPG mechanic is upgrading weapons.  If that were enough to make it an RPG then every action Beat 'em Up game ever would qualify.

Cat Maze - No RPG tag on True Trophies or Playstation Trophies; Metroidvania, Platformer. The only RPG Mechanic is upgrading bracelets. If that were enough to make it an RPG then every metroidvania ever would qualify.

Minoria - no RPG tag on True Trophies or Playstation Trophies; Metroidvania, Platformer, Adventure. No RPG mechanics at all to my knowledge.

On a side note, I also completed A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV during the comp which is a story focused beat 'em style FF game with very light RPG elements but did not claim points. If this passes the same checks then that'd be another 500ish points for the stacker.

Crystal Defenders at least features mechanics like leveling up your characters, using gil to purchase and upgrade them and various classes with different strategies; buffing/debuffing characters/enemies, using magical/physical attacks etc.

While there were other issues like Neptunia that one I leave alone because its just weird how PSNP has it listed as. 

Neptunia used to have all the spin offs in the same series list at the main games but PSNP split them just due to the sheer quantity of them at some point. They are all clearly part of the same series.

Anyway it's just a friendly competition, I'm sorry that you seemingly didn't want me to win enough to scour over my list and make a big post. I only feel a little bit personally attacked (jk it's fine).

I'm happy with what I achieved last year, this is the most games I've ever competed in 12 months and included tons of 100+ hour games (Symphonia: DotNW was a complete nightmare). I'm happy to end on a W since this was my last year completing games full time. In a couple of short months I'll be joining the Gamer Dad's club and my free time will be significantly reduced.

It's been amazing fun though! I got through way more of my backlog than I expected. Thanks @Psy-Tychist for hosting and hope your assignment stuff is going okay.

GGs all!

Edited by SWWDevereux
Typo

Congrats to @SWWDevereuxfor first place and  @YokA_sun for second place.

after joining the 2024 event i only did 1 game but i have been playing for 2 months dragonball xenoverse 2 for the last trophy.

i think to get back into rpg games for to platinum but the ones i already played and unlocked some trophys in it like persona 5 original.

Dragonball Xenoverse 2 took loads of time to get finally where i need to be 7* difficulty characters like Beerus in Free battle mode in Hero colloseum.

i hope i can have Dragonball xenoverse 2 done so i can delete the Game for good.

thanks to the events that i have joined includes this one i really have grown in gaming i platinum and do dlcs from games wich i never did before.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:25 PM, SWWDevereux said:

Persona 3 Reload is obviously extremely different from Persona 3 Portable with the latter being mostly a visual novel and Reload having tons of extra content, combat mechanics and challenges. This isn't a case of playing the same game twice. Especially with my whole main playthrough being the Fem route in Portable.

While I admit it got that P5 remake paint on it but calling it extreme different is too much no? Cause of course it was likely to be different in a lot of aspects since one is more modernized in the ways of P5 was since you can basically see that in its QoL UI and gameplay changes which took out most of that visual novel aspect which was due to hardware restriction and use a more P5 model approach but the core of the game is still Persona 3 no matter how you cut it since its a literal remake of it. Like the only big differences are really just no Female MC route and some of the new side stuff in reload which some are loosely based off of FES content from what i hear. Mostly anyone who has played both will say similar things that its the same game with mostly the same story with the same characters the only exception being the female story part obviously and the UI changes and some new side content but the experience is still fairly consistent in terms of you are playing Persona 3 in a nutshell. Like this one can easily be a coin flip about what gets a pass at the end of the day but then it opens up the doors for other games to get that treatment in the future or something like say classic FF7 vs FF7Remake cause you can make the same argument like P3 because due to the rule clustering together remake and remaster its making it hard to see which falls into it and which does not but based on the rule wording right now since there just assuming both are the same type, I just feel it would easily fall into the rule now given how it stated.

Crystal Defenders was added to the list back in November when I played it but the stacker was missing and added later so that's why the order of the stacker points is off. The number of points is correct overall though.

You are aware you never post/submitted the game right? I went through the whole thread and it wasn't brought up once so that itself doesn't make sense to why it should even be there to begin with especially with someone like you who had been very consistent in his updates down to the smallest points on all there games. So only thing I can think of which is purely speculation is that 1) you either messaged psy and had it added on which would be unfair since everyone been posting there points or 2) he did it by his own accord going through your list for some reason.

In regards to the games you mention I am very aware there were some gray area games with light RPG elements but the only difference between those games and crystal defenders is that at least one of the sites has them listed as a RPG and I assume that was enough for Psy to give it the okay but I don't recall ever seeing a topic brought up for crystal defenders since I assume you would if you believed it was a RPG as well but you didn't submit it for someone so meticulous which kinda easily points me to the obvious reasoning. Plus I heard first hand from someone who has done crystal defenders themselves and even they said it was a straight up Tower Defense with the aspects you listed more on the strategy side of things then one you would do in a actual RPG. Honestly everything you said that the game does its common place in TD games that I have played before since they always send out different waves so you need to constantly have different setups/routes prepared only difference in this case is the towers are just people that is it, you ain't exploring doing side quest or even doing the legendary fishing minigame just defending and also Square themselves called the game a Defense simulation just saying. 

Neptunia used to have all the spin offs in the same series list at the main games but PSNP split them just due to the sheer quantity of them at some point. They are all clearly part of the same series.

Oh I am aware of Neptunia ridiculous amounts of games and stacks it has that why i didn't bring it up cause PSNP I'm sure could've easily did it like FF since they have up to 23 levels but I feel like someone just didn't want to do it given the hefty amount lol

Anyway it's just a friendly competition, I'm sorry that you seemingly didn't want me to win enough to scour over my list and make a big post. I only feel a little bit personally attacked (jk it's fine).

Like I said I'm no going after you because you won I put Yoka under the same magnifying glass too since I also went through his list before posting just to make sure I wasn't picking one side. Also I'm just a stickler on things being fair especially with RPGs since we put so much time into them so if you even feel a slight attack I apologize cause hey I would be slightly mad if someone attack my win too.

Posted (edited)

I didn't want to say anything but I feel I need to conclude this matter on my side. Just to start: I think RPG deserves more respect.

So No, it's not okay to add a non role playing game crystal defense (with a whopping 470 series plus base points) after the event has concluded @Psy-Tychist. On top of that, the game has never been listed or claimed during the competition.  

If the post can be edited and games can be added after the even finished. Can you add two games that I completed (I did not claim because they were short and I don't feel I needed them)? as shown following

The Guise: 100+(6x11)66-70.31+50(Speedrun)= 145.69

Reverie: 100+(6x4+2x11+1x19)65-75.36= 89.64

total extra: 235.33

But then again, what's the point of adding a couple short games. 

I didn't check other people's post. I focused on my part of the game list for most of the competition. I don't mind winning or losing, but I thought this could have been more than simply claiming points based on short games and the purpose of going only for points which is why I only cared about what I played until the last month before April. At least all of us who join the comp like the genre so much if not in love.

I did look at the posts towards the end of event. Now @SWWDevereux, you claimed speedrun points for FF7 rebirth however you were at 200/260 or something when that game is completed. So the points were falsely claimed. I do want point out this now. It is a friendly competition like I said in another post so I would not have called out, but this was one of the reasons I decided to make my big and hidden run at the end. 

About the neptunia series and spinoffs, No I don't think they are one series for the comp based on the rules that's why I did not claim points for neptunia sisters vs sisters for series points. So no spinoffs should not be used to claim series points. @Psy-Tychist has answered that question and made it clear in another post for similar question asked, it was said that if psnp does not list them then not so much or something like that. I think lost judgment was shot down for that reason as well because it is a spinoff according to psy and was not listed under the series for yakuza (Though wiki and all sites list judgment as the series of yakuza, it's in the same universe, same system and shared characters. All of us who played yakuza would considered it of yakuza series). The reason it was denied by @Psy-Tychist is that "psnprofiles list then as separate". Similar situation to neptunia and its spinoffs. Same reasoning should stand: Psnprofiles list neptunia and its spinoffs separate. If neptunia spinoffs are considered to be eligible for series points. Then judgment should be added too and now that's +150 pts as modification below

Neptunia: Sisters vs Sisters: 100+(6x1+2x12+1x38)68-18.32+50(Speedrun 9/94)+25(sereis #1)=224.68

Lost Judgment: 100+(6x5+2x6+1x44 with DLC=)86-15.87+50(Speedrun)+75(seasonal #2)+150(series #6)=445.13

total extra: +175 series pts

Towards the middle of the comp, I know that it's hard to really set the criteria for RPGs and it would have been hard for @Psy-Tychist to check it even. So the simple way would just to follow psnprofiles standard, so I would not start the topic of which games qualify or not. This is a deep rabbit hole.... But that's also why making rules based on psnp regarding series should come in the way to set things straight. 

So my proposal is that either the games I listed above get modified (or counterpart games are removed from the "winner''s list), or please completely remove me from the competition ranking and list. But just to make it clear, I did not feel ever like even replying to the post 😮 since this was brought up and I also want to say my mind straight. 

Ok I thought I would finish just in a few words but ended up writing a bit much. Just to say one more time, rules are rules, there are two ways of going for it: do the comp for RPG, or do the comp for points. Either way: RPGs deserve more respect.  

Edited by YokA_sun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, YokA_sun said:

RPGs deserve more respect.  

Amen, preach it to the crowd. This is my favorite genre, even though the time to comp is long. I wouldn't have bothered going to Utah to watch people speed-run RPGs if this wasn't my favorite genre. ^_^🥰

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Haha 1

competitions is to have fun with the games for to play and :platinum:platinum them not only for to platinum a rpg game as fast as possible.

and not to claim as fast the points just for first place in the competition is for fun and in the end there is always a winner so.

i am not so good in gaming just like the most Gamers here but i try my best. in rpg mania event 2024 i only did Crisis core final fantasy 7 reunion ps5 disc game for rpg mania 2024.

i want to be also a Gamer that can platinum games.

but i am not skilled enough for to finish always games i want to change that so that i also can platinum games.

it is fun to do a competition and event like rpg mania2023/2024... platinum difficulty challenge.

in platinum difficulty i have a hardmode list and i going to have a hell of a time to platinum and 100 percent the games from my hardmode list and my first list aswell.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, YokA_sun said:

About the neptunia series and spinoffs, No I don't think they are one series for the comp based on the rules that's why I did not claim points for neptunia sisters vs sisters for series points. So no spinoffs should not be used to claim series points. @Psy-Tychist has answered that question and made it clear in another post for similar question asked, it was said that if psnp does not list them then not so much or something like that. I think lost judgment was shot down for that reason as well because it is a spinoff according to psy and was not listed under the series for yakuza (Though wiki and all sites list judgment as the series of yakuza, it's in the same universe, same system and shared characters. All of us who played yakuza would considered it of yakuza series). The reason it was denied by @Psy-Tychist is that "psnprofiles list then as separate". Similar situation to neptunia and its spinoffs. Same reasoning should stand: Psnprofiles list neptunia and its spinoffs separate.

I'm not going to address everything in your post because it's a lot of semantics and I don't care to argue opinions over the games we played and who is or isn't respecting RPGs.

But regarding Neptunia, PSNP did have all of the games from the main series + spin offs in the same series list at one point. That's how I found most of the spin offs when I bought the games. At some point they split the games because of the rediculous quantity of regional stacks. This is different to the Judgment/Yakuza games which have never been in the same list. Plus it's pretty obvious that the Neptunia spin offs feature the same main characters as the main games, another difference from Judgement/Yakuza.

4 hours ago, YokA_sun said:

Now @SWWDevereux, you claimed speedrun points for FF7 rebirth however you were at 200/260 or something when that game is completed. So the points were falsely claimed. I do want point out this now. It is a friendly competition like I said in another post so I would not have called out, but this was one of the reasons I decided to make my big and hidden run at the end. 

I have no idea what you are talking about here, I can't remember exactly and I've deleted all my scoring notes from the comp. If I did claim these whopping 50 points falsely then I apologise but I don't think that's the case.

Key thing here is that I had a lot of fun this comp. I played through RPGs that I've had shelved for a long time and enjoyed a ton of them. Keeping an eye out for seasonal stacker bonuses while playing or looking at what's on my shelf and theorizing what games might include the bonuses enhanced my enjoyment too.

There may be some questionable things from both sides, often to nobody's fault as you may start a game that you think is an RPG and then it might not turn out not to be one. I really don't care if the points get adjusted, if it does though I've made my points in my earlier post. I do think it's a bit disrespectful to ask Psi to re-do the scoring since he said he's double checked everything before though. You can take the W or call it a draw or whatever.

I'll be going to go back to Tales of Vesperia now :)

Edited by SWWDevereux
  • Like 2